PDA

View Full Version : The Zil Gnome (3.5)

TheLonelyScribe
2010-06-12, 02:31 AM
These are a few quick adjustments to the Zil gnome to make it a bit more suited to the way they described in the Eberron setting:

Change ability adjustments to -2 Strength, +2 Intelligence and Charisma

Lose low-light vision, weapon familiarity, bonus to attacks against goblins and kobolds, bonus to defence against giants, bonus to listen checks and Dancing Lights as a SLA.

Speak with Animals is now limited to those with 10+ charisma, and Prestidigitation is automatic.

+2 bonus to Bluff and Sense Motive checks. Gnomes are all caught up in a dense net of very enjoyable lies and intrigue, and so are accustomed to trickery in all it's many forms.

A gnome with a charisma of 10 or more has a slight alteration to his prestidigitation ability. Instead of only being able to use it for one hour once per day, the gnome receives a kind of 'prestidigitation reserve' of 1 hour. He or she can use prestidigitation for up to 1 hour per day, but this amount of time need not be continuous. This allows for a gnomish mother to have tidied herself up in the morning, as is customary, but to also wipe some dirt off her child's face later in the day.

A gnome can use prestidigitation for an additional hour per day for every point of charisma bonus he or she has.

PEACHing may be required. Is it balanced? Does it suitably meet the flavour? Have you got any better ideas?

Saveducks
2010-06-12, 02:52 AM
I would recomend changing it to +2 inteligence OR charisma for balance unless thiss is pathfinder

DracoDei
2010-06-12, 03:19 AM
They are also losing a lot of situation and skill bonuses, plus some spell-casting.

Milskidasith
2010-06-12, 06:47 AM
I would recomend changing it to +2 inteligence OR charisma for balance unless thiss is pathfinder

It's really not a big deal, considering there are about... actually, I don't think I know of *any* class that needs both int and charisma as key stats.

TheLonelyScribe
2010-06-12, 08:02 AM
I think I might also give them a +2 to diplomacy, seeing as they are portrayed as such great speakers and so that they have at least one new ability for each ability they lose (not including weapon familiarity because, well, it's not that often that a gnome gets martial weapon proficiency anyway).

DragoonWraith
2010-06-12, 09:43 AM
It's really not a big deal, considering there are about... actually, I don't think I know of *any* class that needs both int and charisma as key stats.
Beguilers and somewhat less so Enchanters, in theory.

DaTedinator
2010-06-12, 10:33 AM

I can only think of the Shadowcaster, but getting +2 to both doesn't really make them phenomenally powerful; after all, they're playing shadowcasters, the poor souls.

And then there are plenty of classes that benefit from having both Int and Cha (Bards, Rogues to an extent, Artificers, and pretty much anything that relies on Charisma but also likes skill points).

But regardless, I think I'd agree getting +2 to both is perfectly acceptable. Really shoehorns them into arcane casters, if that's what you want. I would probably consider ditching the Intelligence bonus and giving them Human skill points, though.

DragoonWraith
2010-06-12, 10:45 AM
Shadowcasters aren't so bad and can be brought up to speed with only a few changes to how they work.

Rainbownaga
2010-06-12, 08:08 PM
Did everybody forget about the warmage?

DragoonWraith
2010-06-12, 08:27 PM
Yes, until you brought it up, dammit. Why would you remind us of that monstrosity? We had just managed to repress it!