PDA

View Full Version : Problems with brother

rules lawjer
2010-06-12, 06:18 AM
Hello all.

I love playing D&D with my friends and my brother. But i have 1 problem. My brother is a complete pothead. He loves pot. And he has to go everywhere and make pot jokes. Worse, he brings it into the game.

Every game we start, the first thing he asks: How much does 1 gram of ganja or some other drug cost? He then proceeds to spend most of his money on ganja in game. In a random point in the game, he says: Lets take a hit everyone. Then he does some in real life. He then demands all the rolls to see how stoned he is and acts accordingly. After that, he plays the game like its a one big trip, trying to offer ganja to all the NPC in the world and tripping around. I admit, it was funny at first, but its getting real tiresome now, especially since i vowed not to do any more drugs until i have finished college and got a decent job.

He also does some crazy things like poisoning a NPC food with LSD and then demanging me description on how that NPC acts. And since i have myself never tried it, i can only describe the NPC act based on how he has described me how it works. When i describe it too boringly, he starts talking how it should be and what he should do. And starts to manipulate the in-game NPC in every possible way.

This is really getting boring and tiresome, i would just like a play a regular D&D without drugs, but he goes haywire and starts rioting saying that the game is boring and such, whenever i try to do that.

Do you have any suggestions how i could get some sense into brother. I know that drugs are cool and all that, but i have simply grown past the experimenting age.

Eloi
2010-06-12, 06:20 AM
I would just stop playing with him and tell him its because of the drugs and they can join back in once they stop, but that might not be the best solution for you. But that's probably what I'd do.

Ranos
2010-06-12, 06:27 AM
My advice is, get with your players, ask them what they think. If they don't mind the silliness and you're the only one bothered, well, stop DMing, you and your players are obviously not on the same wavelength. If they agree with you, bro's disrupting the game, so he either stops or he's out.

Bharg
2010-06-12, 06:48 AM
Don't do drugs, silly. :smallfrown:
And don't let him do drugs, ingame and while you are playing.
Is it even legal?!

Emmerask
2010-06-12, 06:52 AM
Is it even legal?!

Depends on the country :smallwink:

Comet
2010-06-12, 06:56 AM
Sounds like your brother is kind of immature. I've seen people before who grow infatuated with tame drugs and the "forbidden fruit" and start going on and on and on about it until everyone in their vicinity starts praying that they would just shut the frack up. No offence to your brother, but I'm guessing that's what's going on.

Just talk to him about it. Tell him that there's more to life and games than pot and that it would be fun to actually try crafting a proper story.
Who knows, he might comply. Or, as the case may be, he's just not that into roleplaying, in which case just letting things go would be for the best. You can still have fun with him in other ways, but not everyone is into storytelling.

derfos
2010-06-12, 07:27 AM
I can relate to this idea. I had a player come up to me and tell me that he wanted a character who is addicted to several drugs, and his main goal is to find a magical drug den that never runs out.

These are the steps I followed to decide whether I allowed it or not:

1. Can I deal with it?: If you, as a GM, cannot handle a character of that sort, then you shouldn't have to GM it. It's as easy as saying 'no, I don't want that in my game'.

2. Can the other players deal with it?: There's this crazy idea I heard somebody mention once - "Talk to your players" (really?). Ask the rest of the group how they can see the game working with a character like that in the group. If they can't, then the concept is out and he needs a new one. The point is for everyone to have fun.

3. Figure out what's going to happen: This was my mistake, since I didn't do this. Talk to the player (no way...), your brother in this case, and try to see how he will play the character, what kind of conflict he is interested in, and other such information. For example, I allowed the addict on my game, with the picture of "someone with delusions of grandeur" in mind. My player, however, had the "romanticized addict" (the guy who is perfect in spite of his dependency on mind-altering substances) as his concept. This difference made a huge impact in our game.

If you see that it is not working for you or your players, then talk to your problem player (talk to him? that's crazy talk) and explain the situation. If he won't budge, then just tell him that he can't be in your game. Don't lie to him about why, the truth usually works best.

rules lawjer
2010-06-12, 08:27 AM
My advice is, get with your players, ask them what they think. If they don't mind the silliness and you're the only one bothered, well, stop DMing, you and your players are obviously not on the same wavelength. If they agree with you, bro's disrupting the game, so he either stops or he's out.

About half of them do the drugs with him, other half dont

Don't do drugs, silly. :smallfrown:
Is it even legal?!

I dont, anymore, for the time being. And of course its illegal, who cares?

Just talk to him about it. Tell him that there's more to life and games than pot and that it would be fun to actually try crafting a proper story.
Who knows, he might comply. Or, as the case may be, he's just not that into roleplaying, in which case just letting things go would be for the best. You can still have fun with him in other ways, but not everyone is into storytelling.

He is into roleplaying as long as its full of, well you know, drugs. He is, right now, on a big pot streak. He wont quit anytime soon the way hes doing. He would just tell me that im speaking of crazy talk.

1. Can I deal with it?: If you, as a GM, cannot handle a character of that sort, then you shouldn't have to GM it. It's as easy as saying 'no, I don't want that in my game'.

If you see that it is not working for you or your players, then talk to your problem player (talk to him? that's crazy talk) and explain the situation. If he won't budge, then just tell him that he can't be in your game. Don't lie to him about why, the truth usually works best.

I can deal with it, im just tired of it. And i have talked to him about it, he just says "common, dont be such a douche bag, its fun! We are all having fun, here try a hit!"
and
"No, i can handle it, it wont affect my gameplay"

Naia
2010-06-12, 08:48 AM
Videotape him when he's stoned and show it to him when he's not. :smallamused:

Mystic Muse
2010-06-12, 08:50 AM
I dont, anymore, for the time being. And of course its illegal, who cares?

The Giant does. The intent of this thread isn't bad but due to discussion about large amounts of illegal substances it breaks rules.

Roland St. Jude
2010-06-12, 09:47 AM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Illegal drugs and criminal activity are two of our Inappropriate Topics for this Forum. Please don't discuss them here.