PDA

View Full Version : Broken wizard tank help?

StagBeatle
2010-06-12, 07:37 AM
So I'm playing an extremely broken 3.5 campaign, and the thought occurred to me that I would like to be a tank every now and then. What spells should my level 13 wizard use to become a formidable tank?

-note- We can use any 3.5 book

2xMachina
2010-06-12, 07:40 AM
Mirror image, displacement?
G. Mage armor for +6 armor (or bracers of armor)
Try to get your dm to approve a Carmendine Monk's Belt?
Polymorph/Alter self?

Others might be able to give more.

StagBeatle
2010-06-12, 07:42 AM
I was also thinking maybe persistent bite of the werebear, I just got my greater persistent metamagic rod....

Gnaritas
2010-06-12, 07:46 AM
Heart of Earth (complete mage)
THP and Stoneskin...
also to be combine with the other Hearts for Immunity to criticals and sneak attack.

Greater Luminous Armor (Book of Exalted Deeds)
+8 Armor AC and another +4 AC vs melee attacks

Both spells are hr/level so can be used all day.

Greater Mirror Image (Spell Compendium)

Draconic Polymorph
Though i am suggesting it, i would not use this cheese myself.

Feat:
Minor Shapeshift
Infinite THP as a swift action

Class:
Arcane Champion
So you get even more AC (just Greater Luminous Armor and a Shield (free extended and quickened) gives you 36 AC, without Dexterity/Natural/Deflection/Dodge...

Emmerask
2010-06-12, 07:50 AM
Starmantle (BoED) is pretty nice too :smallwink:

Godskook
2010-06-12, 07:56 AM
Heroics
Mirror Move(either have a friend with the feats you want, or grab an eternal wand of heroics, for cheap access to all the ones you want)
WraithStrike
Polymorph line
Greater Luminous Armor(+8 AC, +12 against melee is pretty good for wizard armor, bonus points if you've got the abjurant champion levels to make it +13/+17 instead)
Greater Mighty Whallop(Because really, why should you restrict your damage to the same size category as the mundane warriors)
Greater Dim Door(I don't do walking)
Shield(Cause having a better shield bonus than is possible without spells means you're sexy)
Greater Magic Weapon(should be obvious, but ya never know)

Now, assuming you have the option to rework your feats, remember that persist makes a few of the above spells quite a bit stronger(Needs 3 feats to work at your level), and Carmendine Monk can improve your AC dramatically for the cost of one feat and one belt slot item that's not expensive at your level.

StagBeatle
2010-06-12, 08:05 AM
EXTREMELY interesting so far :D

however, I'm still open for more suggestions

derfos
2010-06-12, 08:09 AM
Permanency is an interesting spell to use in combination with a lot of things. I've had people become permanently Tiny to get the huge AC bonus. Other spells that combine with permanency might help you out as well, to save you from having to cast a million buffs before a fight. Just make sure to by the permanency spell rather than cast it and lose XPs.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-06-12, 08:13 AM
At level 13 you can cast polymorph or draconic polymorph from the draconomicon to take the form of a war troll (MM3), 12-headed hydra, or a behir. Any of those combined with (greater) mage armor, shield, and wraithstrike would make a formidable melee combatant. War troll is probably the most well-rounded, hydra would get to make 12-bite AoOs, and behir is good for grappling down a single powerful foe. You could also cast (persistent) thunderlance with (persistent) wraithstrike, and use heroics to get combat reflexes. You can two-handed power attack with it, and it even works in war troll form.

2xMachina
2010-06-12, 08:15 AM
Dragon wrought kobold would be fun.

Alter Self: Wrmyling Shadow Dragon = Tiny +7NA
Or you can be larger and more NA.

Gnaritas
2010-06-12, 08:27 AM
I was also thinking maybe persistent bite of the werebear, I just got my greater persistent metamagic rod....

By the way....greater persistent metamagic rod at level 13....that's an epic item...250k or so?

PId6
2010-06-12, 09:49 AM
*blink* :smalleek:

olelia
2010-06-12, 09:56 AM
*eye twitch twitch twitch*

The Glyphstone
2010-06-12, 10:32 AM

*jaw drops*

mikej
2010-06-12, 10:53 AM
By the way....greater persistent metamagic rod at level 13....that's an epic item...250k or so?

A small nitpick when the following "Broken wizard tank" is in the title.

I'm more curious if that's an accurate pricing. I've seen other threads similiar to "Rod of Persistent" but all with different pricing. However, that's one powerfull item though.

Gnaritas
2010-06-12, 11:01 AM
There is a certain logic in the pricing of the Rods. Look at the existing rods:

greater extend 24.5k (+1 spell level)
greater empower 73k (+2 spell level)
greater maximize 121.5k (+3 spell level)
greater quicken 170k (+4 spell level)

It keeps adding 48.5k for some reason.

This means the Greater rod of Persistent spell would cost 267k....

By this same logic a Lesser Rod of Persistent spell would cost around 60k.

PId6
2010-06-12, 11:19 AM
This means the Greater rod of Persistent spell would cost 267k....
That falls under the heading of epic item (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/basics.htm), since it "Has a market price above 200,000 gp, not including material costs for armor or weapons, material component- or experience point-based costs, or additional value for intelligent items."

In addition, I would say that it "gives a bonus beyond the limit allowed in for normal, nonepic magic items," since non-epic greater rods cannot go above +4 spell level. Therefore, you must "multiply the portion of the market price derived from that characteristic by 10."

So 2,670,000 gp.