PDA

View Full Version : Oriental Adventures (Restart)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

Cyrus112
2007-06-25, 11:07 AM
"I am also from the Ashoka tribe," one says, giving Vrishma a sympathetic look.

"I am from the Toryama tribe. A call went out for willing people to patrol the borders of our land. Word got out about a mine, and outsiders have been sneaking in to try and get at the mine. Those who make it in never come out."

Cyrus112
2007-06-28, 10:46 AM
((La la la, bumping the string))

tonberryking
2007-06-28, 11:13 AM
During the interum of talking with the way-station guards, Masumi manages to reign in her dappled horse (whom she hasn't exactly gotten along with this trip) to move along side Ikeira, while passing him the smaller of the cudgels she's kept.

As soon as we break camp tonight you're going to get what you asked for...-- Bayushi-san! She calls, moving away from the wu jen. Bayushi-san, Vrishma, is everything going well?

Ozzy_G
2007-06-28, 05:11 PM
It sounds like the Shiro Heichi is dangerous somehow, he replies softly, I suspect the Oni know we are coming. We must beware of a trap.

tonberryking
2007-06-28, 06:02 PM
Should I... go for a walk?

Whispering to the OTHER person good at keeping secrets, Masumi gestures with her head, plaits bouncing , the beads in her hair swaying towards the woods. Although as a wolf she won't be walking so much as prowling, but she doesn't specify...

Rapscallion
2007-06-28, 08:06 PM
Chion

"Good news that they know we are coming, we will recieve their best efforts."

Chion will say with a smile in response to Masaya affirmation.

Cyrus112
2007-06-28, 11:23 PM
Masumi, your horse somehow manages to pull off a very "What have I done to make your life difficult" innocent-type look as you dismount, sensing your thoughts on the matter of riding the horse.

((Now seems to be a time for some character interaction, so interact dammit :smalltongue: ))

tonberryking
2007-06-28, 11:45 PM
Masumi just looks back at the horse with a look that says she could easily put an end to this if she wanted.

Ozzy_G
2007-06-29, 09:50 AM
Masaya waits stoically, and gestures at Masumi to stay where she is. We must wait and see what details Vrishma can discover, he says softly, not wanting to interrupt the Vanaras' discussion. After that, scouting might be a good idea, we will need to know what we are up against.

The_Shaman
2007-06-29, 07:02 PM
Vrishma

Vrishma appears lost in thought for a while, then nods at his tribesman. I see, I do. We will travel to the Ashoka tribe, indeed we shall, and see if more there is that we could do. Which is the safest way to there, I ask? A while it has been since last I traveled these lands. he asks back in their language. He appears troubled, but calm.

Rapscallion
2007-06-29, 09:26 PM
Chion

Chion will lean on his Naginata casually and look over to Masaya "Pehaps we will be outnumbered this time. I hope its more than fifty men or twenty Oni. I am getting bored and could use a stiring battle eh Masaya ? "

tonberryking
2007-06-29, 10:02 PM
Masumi

Oh but I'm hardly presentable for a party such as those likes, Chion..."

The ronin looks about cautiously, taking in the sights with more than just scenery appreciation...

Spot/Listen (1d20+2=22, 1d20+2=20) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1128554) ..Why do I keep rolling awesome for menial things? Also she's using her scent ability for anything like Oni

Ozzy_G
2007-06-30, 07:29 AM
Masaya's masked face reveals no emotion, but you can see his eyes flick towards Chion. Tell me Chion, Masumi, how many wars have you fought in?

Rapscallion
2007-07-01, 12:19 PM
Chion

"Unfortunately they do not schedule wars to match my coming of age Masaya. You should know this answer from my father's conversation with you. So why do you ask a question you already know the answer to, The is none drom both of us."

Chion will say quite dryly.

tonberryking
2007-07-01, 12:29 PM
Masumi just scoffs.

I've fought against multiple oponents before, Bayushi-san, and not just within the confines of my father's dojo. I was merely stating --as I am-- that I wouldn't be presentable to such uneven odds.

The_Shaman
2007-07-02, 05:16 AM
((Cyrus, you there? Let me know if the sentries have nothing of interest to reply with))

Ozzy_G
2007-07-02, 10:21 AM
Masaya smiles slightly. I am sure you would always be more than presentable even in battle, Masumi-san, you are a Lion after all, it's what you are bred for.
He turns to Chion, the smile fading from his mouth and eyes. If you have never seen real battle, you should not joke of such things. I appreciate that you are trying to lift our spirits, but death is not something to make light of.

Rapscallion
2007-07-03, 10:04 PM
Chion

Chion will turn to face Masaya and look him dead in the eye. "I wasn't planning on dying. I was speculating on what an honor worthy fight would be for this group as every foe we have fought has done poorly against our collective skills." Chion smile will fade quickly. "Vrishma, how does you clan do anything standing around talking all time. Let's go."

The_Shaman
2007-07-04, 04:40 AM
((I am waiting for Cyrus to reply on the "troubles on the road" bit. Aside from that, I am ready))

Ozzy_G
2007-07-04, 06:26 AM
Masaya snorts. An honour worthy fight? An honour worthy fight is one you win. If we all die in the wilderness, we fail the Empire, and have no honour.

Cyrus112
2007-07-04, 12:09 PM
((Apologies for my absence. The past couple of days have been quite busy))

The two guards nod at Vrishma.

"Follow this path for two days. Shortly after that, there will be a path that branches off to the right. Follow that for quite a ways and you'll find yourself back at your home. May the Spirits protect you and your comrades."

Masumi, nothing catches your attention at this point.

Ozzy_G
2007-07-04, 05:39 PM
Sensing that the Vanara have finished speaking, Masaya glances at Vrishma. Well, what did they say?

The_Shaman
2007-07-05, 04:58 AM
Vrishma

Vrishma nods. I am most thankful. May the spirits grace and preserve you and your kin, I say. Until we meet again. he says to the wardens, turning back to the Scorpion. On this path, they say, must we for two days, then another to our right we should embark on. Yet one request I have, I do: do not obsess over death so. The call of the ancestors no one has escaped, indeed, but to mention the death-spirits lightly to incite their ire, it is.

Ozzy_G
2007-07-05, 08:05 AM
Masaya chuckles. It is quite possible to escape death, believe me, I had to kill several of my ancestors for a second time. He looks at the sky, and mutters to himself. By the Kami, I hope they never escape again.
He turns back to the others. Right, Vrishma has learnt where we must go, so let us continue on our way. He kicks his horse into a trot.

The_Shaman
2007-07-05, 09:41 AM
Vrishma

The shaman gives Masaya a stern look as he, with some efforts, goes back on his horse. Masaya, be careful with your words, I say. Closer to us the spirits are here, indeed they are, than what you are used to. Such words, I have heard, some of them as a challenge take - and in them great malice burns, not like Old Man River or Bear-Mother. They can bestow a mockery of life, they can, but life enough to spread evil.

Ozzy_G
2007-07-05, 10:07 AM
Masaya's mouth tightens uneasily, and he looks about, but he says nothing.

Cyrus112
2007-07-05, 10:48 AM
The next two days pass without incident, and you reach the crossroads the guards spoke of as the sun begins to set. There is some room off of the road to set up camp for the night.

Ozzy_G
2007-07-05, 11:34 AM
Masaya reigns in his horse. This seems like a good place to set up camp for the night. He looks around. We'll need to set a watch though. The Oni are hunting us...

tonberryking
2007-07-05, 02:30 PM
"Leave that to me..." the were-ronin replies as she unsaddles a probably thankless horse and contemplates how much of an insult to Genki (or his memory thereof) it would be if she were to eat it after exacting petty revenge for giving her a hard time.

She proceeds to crack her knuckles. "All this riding is making me restless, so after I give Ikeira a lesson in what he should allready know I'll be glad to prowl these hills." Her mood seems at least improved now that she's got people to be open with.

Ozzy_G
2007-07-05, 02:46 PM
Masaya's lips quirk into a slight smile as he dismounts. He ties up his horse to a tree and starts to unpack his things. Surely you will need to sleep at some time, Masumi-san?

androgial
2007-07-05, 06:46 PM
Ikeira

Ikeira sets up camp first and in the sparring area a bucket of water and a towel. he does remove his shirt though. instead of the last piece of bamboo masumi handed him he pulls out the two he took before they left. about chisa-gatana and tanto sized respectively. he enters his ready stance. from the position of his feet it seems he can move forward or backward or right or left or spin right or spin left at a moments notice. once the sparring match gets under way only the trained eyes of a samurai or ronin could tell the hesitation of trying to remember a long unused style. this style isnt based on strength but rather the nimbleness of the wielder. the movements are light slashes cutting in quick and penetrating stabs almost as fast. momentum is changed by literaly bouncing the blades of blocks and parries. all in all the style resembles a fox darting in and out and bouncing off tree trunks to change directions.

Rapscallion
2007-07-05, 10:11 PM
Chion

Chion will unload his horse and brush it down while watering and muttering to horse to calm it. When the horse calm, brushed and hooves looked to he will watch Ikeira and nod as the man goes through a very complex and intricate style. hmm his style is good and his muscles remember more of it than he does. Good good I will not rush to his aid either. We are a deadly pentagon of bladework and nothing about there travelers are as it seems. Ha.

"I will take first watch Masaya." Chion lays his bedroll down but does not unpack it. He will start moving his eyes over the lnadscape taking in the details of the terrain and getting used to surroundings. He yearns to spare with Ikeira but his duty is to camp.

The_Shaman
2007-07-06, 08:06 AM
Vrishma

At some point in the afternoon, Vrishma notices that Shimikawa is getting somewhat nervous. He dismounts (the great cat has been instructed to follow them at some distance, so as not to scare the horses too much) and approaches the animal. After a few words and some pointing (both coming from the Vanara), it disappears in the forest She has been instructed to get food and drink for herself, and go in the direction of the road as soon as she can so she can find them. Scratch one use of speak animals, this stuff should be permanenced. BTW, if he is not at the camp when she comes, she is NOT to try to eat the humans or horses. Do any of the rations in OA contain meat - or for that matter, go stale? The shaman mounts the horse again with a little difficulty, and takes a good gulp from his waterskin.

When our heroes start dismounting, so does Vrishma, with an audible sigh. Ah, riding does not agree with me, I say. Slower they may be, but my own two feet fit me much better, indeed they do. he says as he goes down. He stretches his arms and legs a little, and then turns his attention to the horse, speaking to it playfully in his own language and giving it a good rub before tethering it to a nearby tree. He puts the saddle, the rest of the horse's load, and his own basket some distance away. He regards Ikeira's exercises with a short smile, then sits down and begins a short sing-song melody that the rest can recognize as a something akin to a prayer. Some water I will look for, I will, he says when he finishes, I will not be long, I think. If you are still not done, mighty warrior Ikeira, some exercise myself I will need, I say, even though I may not be such a... desirable opponent like the lady Masumi, he ends with a wide smile on his face before heading into the forest. A barely audible noise reminds him that even as Masumi is good at hunting, he should not pass by any chance the spirits give him to help the others.

He will spend from half an hour to an hour looking for some water, ideally fresh and enough for everyone. Also, he will forage for any food (the SRD has rules for doing in while moving and for the entire day, but as the situation is different feel free to mess with the circumstance bonuses, Cyrus. Survival check 1d20+6=21 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1137848) )

tonberryking
2007-07-06, 08:43 AM
(Post pending after I get some feedback from Andro)

Cyrus112
2007-07-06, 09:42 AM
I may have forgotten to mention that Genki gave you some supplies before you all left. A few loaves of bread, some cheese, some cured meat and some fruit.

Masumi, nothing seems amiss as you scout out the area. This seems a little odd, as some signs of pursuit should be seen. But the birds are chirping, animals are about and everything seems fine.

Ozzy_G
2007-07-06, 11:51 AM
Once he's unpacked everything and set up his bed, Masaya starts to eat some bread and cheese. Eventually, he remembers to give his horse a cursory rub down, though he doesn't seem to do it very well.

tonberryking
2007-07-07, 01:31 PM
Masumi

Calmly setting aside her meager gear and the spare katana, Masumi wastes no time with intricate preparations other than the formal bow she offers to Ikiera at the start. From there she lowers her bamboo length low and comes in fast at the start; her style seems to employ what may look like simple, plebian movements but a trained eye could tell it's all about the economy of movement; her steps aren't wasted or put to chance and her first over the shoulder swing comes in with a sweeping powerful arc.

...Which is blocked. Ikiera's nimbleness is nothing to complain about from her stand point, though it's an entirely different contribution to the fight on Masumi's end. She moves only about a third as much as Ikiera, nothing fancy going on but her moves are gracefully fluid at least. A strike is parried and she immediately moves on to another tactic, not giving Ikeira much time to do much else but be on the defensive. And so this goes back and forth, nothing going through with her attacks.

This goes on for minutes that feel like hours, but as time goes on Ikeira looks a bit worser for wear as Masumi's style seems to reserve more energy than extend it. Certainly she doesn't appear as fresh as aflower, but the image is clear: she can keep this up for much more time.

And then she stops after moving in very close and locking cudgels with her oppoent. A poker face during any other moment, her eyebrows flutter as she sniffs. And then she springs back with a different look, a bit more steely. A bit more respectful but she mutters something. Almost sounded like "You sneaky bastard" but she wouldn't have said THAT, would she? In anycase Ikeira doesn't have time to respond; she finishes up with two deft swings and a VERY rapid, deft thrust aimed to slide between the two 'swords'.

androgial
2007-07-07, 02:53 PM
ikeira

the trust lands solidly in his gut. after a moment on his knees 2 feet back from where he had been struck, he smiles.
" definately not enough time on the exercise yard and too much time sifting through ancient scrolls for information. I should be 50% faster and as winded as you masumi. thank you. i needed to find out how much ive lost over the last ten years. i figure an hours practice each day for a month will surfice to get back into shape." he looks over at masumi with a puzzled look at her expression. " is there something wrong masumi?"

Ozzy_G
2007-07-07, 05:38 PM
Out of the corner of their gaze, Masumi and Ikiera notice that Masaya has stopped rubbing at his horse and is watching them intently.

Cyrus112
2007-07-08, 10:02 AM
((Well done all, by all means keep it going if more needs to be said))

tonberryking
2007-07-08, 10:10 AM
Hm? Nothing, Bayushi-san, nothing... Ikeira-san here seems to be more secretive about his prowress; his footwork is above parr...

It almost sounds convincing too, however Masumi's countenence betrays nothing as she excuses herself to go out and get something to eat...

survival check (1d20+8=10) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1141078) (I don't think she's gonna find anything tonight...)

Ozzy_G
2007-07-08, 10:45 AM
Masaya nods, a strange look in his eyes. You are reminded of a proverb you once heard: The mask of a Scorpion is not just the one over his face.

androgial
2007-07-08, 12:14 PM
ikeira

Ikeira towels off and takes a drink from the bucket. afterwards he finds a few rocks which he ties around his ankles waist and wrists. at which point,he returns to the training area he set up and goes through his kata again, and again for an hour.

Rapscallion
2007-07-08, 08:20 PM
Chion

Chion will watch stoically remembering his own training using the same techniques to train the body, mind and spirit. He will wave as Masumi heads off after the sparring match. Chion will switch his gaze from incamp to out of camp wondering where the greatest danger lies.

Cyrus112
2007-07-08, 09:44 PM
((You find a squirrel, Masumi, but it's not really enough for an entire meal, heh))

The_Shaman
2007-07-09, 04:48 AM
((Any luck with V's trek?))

Cyrus112
2007-07-09, 09:13 AM
((RIght right, sorry bout that, V. You really don't find much in the way of food, but you find some fresh water.))

Ozzy_G
2007-07-09, 09:43 AM
While the others train, Masaya does not, but simply sits watching them intently.

The_Shaman
2007-07-10, 04:36 AM
After a short-ish walk, Vrishma has found nothing edible - at least not more edible than what he already has. He found a small rivulet though, and after a short ceremony honoring the water-spirits, he will fill in his waterskin, and go back to the camp to meet the others. There is a small stream nearby, indeed there is. Water enough there should be in these lands, but luck a strange thing is... better be safe, I say.

((He will also bring his horse to the water. In case it is not enough, he will use purify water to clear something from puddles or the like. What season is this, autumn?))

Cyrus112
2007-07-10, 10:39 AM
((Late summer, early autumn. And there is plenty of water to fill up and for the horses to drink))

tonberryking
2007-07-10, 10:57 AM
Masumi returns without much, if anything at all (apprently she felt the squirrel just wasn't worth the trouble) telling Chion to wake her for watch duty late in the night before she finally just grabs a bed roll and goes to sleep.

Her pragmatism seems a stark contrast to someone who had won a sparring match earlier, although no one at this point is probably going to question it.

Ozzy_G
2007-07-10, 11:41 AM
Masaya rolls himself up in his bedroll. Chion, you're first watch, you won't be able to get to sleep easily after sparring anyway. Wake me up in a few hours, then I'll wake up Masumi for the last few.

Rapscallion
2007-07-10, 06:13 PM
Chion

Chion will bow slightly to Masaya "Oh yes Sir, it would be a pleasure." his smile will fade to a grim line.

Chion's smile will return as he nods to Masumi's request. "Lord Bayushi will awaken you for final shift Masumi. Well stuck earlier, your skills are impresive."

As Vrishma returns he will inquire as to where the watering hole is.

The_Shaman
2007-07-11, 05:43 AM
Vrishma

I am taking the horse there myself, I am - close by, it is. If any of you later go, keep the where the sun set on your right, and that hill with the dry tree on the top on your left.

Rapscallion
2007-07-12, 10:34 PM
Chion

"My thanks Vrishma, I will water my horse soon, thanks to the bear and stream." Chion will bow slightly towards Vrishma out of respect for the shamen's woodlore.

The_Shaman
2007-07-15, 02:57 PM
Vrishma nods at Chion and goes to take his horse. After he, his companions and the animals have drunk their fill, he will fill in his waterskin and return to the camp, where he will check if the animals need any additional attention.

Cyrus112
2007-07-16, 11:18 AM
The horses seem to have recuperated nicely while you were all at Genki's. You are all stocked up on food and water for awhile.

During the first watch...

((Listen and spot check for the person on first watch))

Rapscallion
2007-07-16, 10:45 PM
Chion

The son of the Unicorn clan will stare out into the gathering darkness, eyes like that of a hawk scanning the terrain while the sounds of the horses fills his ears pleasantly reminding him of home.

Die roll for Chion
1d20-> [18] = (18)+1=19 for Spot
1d20-> [8] = (8)+1 =9 for Listen
http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1154323

Cyrus112
2007-07-19, 10:19 AM
Chion, you notice a few flickers of movement in the trees around you and they seem to be heading towards your camp.

Rapscallion
2007-07-19, 09:53 PM
Chion

Chion will track the flickers of movement pausing to tap each member of the retinue with the butt of the Naginata as he moves in a circle around the edge of the sleeping area.. Moving the naginata in circle around his body preparing to go on the defensive or offensive at a moments notice.

AC: 23 w/combat expertise

Ozzy_G
2007-07-20, 05:37 AM
Masaya awakes, but says nothing. He quietly picks up his katana, buckling the scabbard to his belt, and rises, looking about.
[roll0]
[roll1]

androgial
2007-07-20, 09:44 AM
ikeira

aching sore and somehow doubly tired ikeira is not pleased at being woke up but get up he does and centers himself.

tonberryking
2007-07-20, 03:23 PM
Masumi lifts up from her bedroll like a specter before pulling her swords on and joins the others.

"..Shall I take my leave? I may be better if there are wild animals about to frighten them off...

Ozzy_G
2007-07-20, 03:29 PM
Masaya gives her a warning look, and puts his fingers to his mouth.

Rapscallion
2007-07-20, 10:07 PM
Chion

Chion will go stock still as Masumi speaks eyes darting back and forth.

Cyrus112
2007-07-22, 11:09 AM
((Sorry for the delay in posting. Busy weekend. Made my way through the last Harry Potter book in a day, hehe, and as such got a wee bit...distracted.))

Masaya, you hear some twigs snapping and you see small figures moving furtively in the darkness. Both you and Chion notice that the figures aren't coming any closer at the present time.

Ozzy_G
2007-07-22, 05:39 PM
Masaya gestures to the others to stay where they are. And then he vanishes.
Masaya goes invisible, and then walks over to the figures to see what they are, his hand on the hilt of his sheathed Katana.
[roll0]

Rapscallion
2007-07-22, 08:31 PM
Chion

Chion will look skyward briefly after the gesture from Masaya.

Cyrus112
2007-07-24, 11:39 AM
They are bakemono, but they seem to be waiting, rather nervously, for some one, or something, else to appear before moving towards the group.

Ozzy_G
2007-07-24, 06:18 PM
Masaya looks around to see how many Bakemono there are.

Cyrus112
2007-07-24, 09:29 PM
You can see ten or so.

The_Shaman
2007-07-25, 04:55 AM
Vrishma wakes up with a small start. In the darkness, his eyes seem to have their own glow, and he snarls quietly as he reaches for his weapon. Shimikawa, ready, he says, in his own tongue, then looks around with a worried look.

((Has Shimikawa come back? I suppose not...))

Cyrus112
2007-07-25, 12:11 PM
((Shimikawa is with you))

Rapscallion
2007-07-25, 03:38 PM
Chion

Chion will stay put as the Crab Clan standoff goes on. He knows that both Masaya and the enemy are out there but can't commit to an action until one or both show themselves in force. So he remains motionless.

The_Shaman
2007-07-26, 04:11 AM
Vrishma notably calms when he feels the reassuring warmness of the great cat by him. However, he still seems distraught and his eyes dart to the sides. The others - where are they, I ask, he whispers coarsely to Chion, nodding to where Masaya and Masumi used to be.

Rapscallion
2007-07-27, 11:01 AM
Chion

Chion will whisper "I don't know know, they didn't say." . "They are there" and he'll point in a 180 degree mark in front of him.

The_Shaman
2007-07-28, 11:45 AM
Vrishma

The Vanara looks alarmed. What? Why should they both leave, I ask? No sense it makes, indeed it does not... he whispers, coarsely. He puts the mace top-up and intones a quiet prayer to steady his nerves for the battle.

((What checks should I make to see if I know more about the bakemono, and their tactics in particular? I do not suppose they just wait for us to get ready when they have numerical superiority. Knowledge (spirits), maybe?))

Rapscallion
2007-07-28, 05:43 PM
Chion

"Masaya has gone off and Masumi should be near to us but in this infernal darkness I can't see her." Chion will shrug off the grizzly fur cloak he is wearing and regrips hir naginata awaititng the shapes to comes forward. "I will handle the first wave good shamen, can you deal with any stragglers that may try magic or ranged attacks ?." Chion will look out into the darkness.

Cyrus112
2007-07-30, 09:28 AM
Masaya, you hear the thump of heavy footsteps making its way towards the bakemono. The bakemono give a start and begin to look around restlessly. A humanoid figure standing about eight feet tall walks toward the bakemono. It is a Common Oni. One of the bakemono begins to talk with the Oni in a language you don't understand.

((I don't think knowledge spirit would work. Just roll a straight Int check.))

Ozzy_G
2007-07-31, 05:58 AM
[roll0]
Having no understanding of the language, Masaya slips invisibly from his hiding place and back to the camp. He materialises behind Chion. There are ten Bakemono, talking to an Oni, he whispers. I couldn't understand what they said.

Rapscallion
2007-07-31, 02:22 PM
Chion

Chion will not move muscle and reply in sharp whisper. "Ahh you have returned, if you and the others can deal with Oni I can slay the bakemono. They are probally discussing the envelopement of the camp. We should strike now and not allow any plan to develope."

Cyrus112
2007-08-01, 10:19 AM
There are some more rustles from the trees, and you can tell that the group is spreading out.

((You may want to act, and act soon))

androgial
2007-08-01, 10:58 AM
ikeira

"well now its finaly started. time to even the odds. Vrishma, masya, Masumi its time for hide and seek."

Ikeira casts obscuring mist

Ozzy_G
2007-08-02, 09:58 AM
As the mist spreads, Masaya vanishes from sight.
Masaya goes invisible, and moves back to the Oni. He then attacks, drawing his sword with Quick Draw.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Ozzy_G
2007-08-02, 09:59 AM
([roll0]
[roll1])

Rapscallion
2007-08-02, 02:39 PM
Chion

Chion will run and cut left in order to head off the left arm of the envelopement manuever. He will look back occasional to make sure that Ikeira is not swamped beyond his abilities to cope.

HP:76
AC 24 Expertise and dodge(AC 25) to the first creature.
Attack +8/+3 with Naginata dam 1d10+4

Well so much for planning and fighting as a cohesive unit, how did Clan scorpian survive for so long ?

The_Shaman
2007-08-03, 04:43 PM
Vrishma

HP 39
AC 17
Attack +7, Damage 1d8+3
Int check: 19 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1191243)
Initiative: 11 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1191243)

Vrishma looks somewhat confused at the mist that appears, but tries to remember the positioning of the bakemono before the magic hides them from view. A wry smile crosses his face as he contemplates his move...

((Okay, 2 questions. First, how far away are the bakemono, and second, any restrictions on summons that I can bring with a SNA spell? I was hoping for something that might not quite fit the oriental environment))

Cyrus112
2007-08-05, 10:18 PM
((I would like initiative rolls please))

The closest bakemono are about 50 feet away. There are a few about 70 feet away and Oni is a little farther away than that.

The oni gets hit and roars in pain and swings wildly around him.

((Whats your AC Masaya? 50% miss chance type thing, heh))

((What were you thinking of, V?))

Rapscallion
2007-08-05, 10:29 PM
Die roll for Chion
1d20+2-> [8,2] = (10) INIT
1d20+2=10 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1194612)

You can link to this roll at
http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1194612

AC 22 Expertise and dodge(AC 23) to the first Bakemono
Attack +10/+5 with Naginata dam 1d10+4

Ozzy_G
2007-08-06, 05:53 AM
(AC 22.
[roll0])
After the strike, Masaya is visible to the Oni and the Bakemono. He grins under his mask, and then vanishes once more before most of them can even react. They hear only the pitter-patter of soft shoes on leaves as he runs back to Vrishma and Chion, sheathing his sword.

androgial
2007-08-06, 07:15 AM
ikeira

[roll0]

ikeiras spells list: ray of frostx3,elemental burst(enlarged),kiss of the toad,obscuring mist(cast),identify,ice knife,fire shuriken,cobras breath,earthboltx2

ikiera stands resolutein the center of the obscuring mist while those better at fighting take out the bakemono, hopefully before the mist ends.

Rapscallion
2007-08-07, 10:59 PM
Chion

Chion stands resolutely awaiting the charge to materalize.
(Init 10)

The_Shaman
2007-08-08, 07:39 AM
Vrishma

HP 39, AC 17 (touch 13, FF 14)

If Vrishma is not in any immediate danger by the time that he reacts, he will start an incantation as the battle begins. Eventually, he spreads his arms wide and calls out with a piercing cry - with an even shriller cry coming back from the night sky.

((Using SNA III to call a giant eagle (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/eagleGiant.htm), 1-round action. The eagle appears 25 feet towards the monsters at height of approximately 30 feet. It will probably dive for the most threatening foe or for anyone relatively alone, but Vrishma can give it other commands by then)).

((If Vrishma IS in immediate danger by the time he acts, meaning there is an enemy in 10 feet of him or so, he will take a 5-foot step if there is a monster right near him, ready his weapon (move action) and begin an incantation (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/prayer.htm) to bring the spirits' favor onto our merry group. Said incantation means every ally in a 40-feet radius from him gets +1 luck bonus on attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, saves, and skill checks, while each of the baddies automatically takes -1 to the same if they don't have SR ))

Cyrus112
2007-08-09, 09:28 AM
((How long does Obscuring Mist last?))

androgial
2007-08-10, 10:39 AM
(i have no clue all i have is a spell list with basic description like "fog surrounds you" that sort of description. its the first level water spell though)

Rapscallion
2007-08-10, 02:46 PM
Obscuring Mist
Conjuration (Creation)
Level: Air 1, Clr 1, Drd 1, Sor/Wiz 1, Water 1
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 20 ft.
Effect: Cloud spreads in 20-ft. radius from you, 20 ft. high
Duration: 1 min./level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

A misty vapor arises around you. It is stationary once created. The vapor obscures all sight, including darkvision, beyond 5 feet. A creature 5 feet away has concealment (attacks have a 20% miss chance). Creatures farther away have total concealment (50% miss chance, and the attacker cannot use sight to locate the target).

A moderate wind (11+ mph), such as from a gust of wind spell, disperses the fog in 4 rounds. A strong wind (21+ mph) disperses the fog in 1 round. A fireball, flame strike, or similar spell burns away the fog in the explosive or fiery spell’s area. A wall of fire burns away the fog in the area into which it deals damage.

This spell does not function underwater.

Cyrus112
2007-08-12, 12:33 AM
There is a confused babble coming from the mob. Vrishma is not in any immediate danger. You summon the eagle, but it is having trouble making anything out because of the fog, hehe.

((What level IS everyone at right now?))

The_Shaman
2007-08-12, 04:55 AM
((ECL 6, if I remember correctly - we started at 5 and levelled up once after the monster in the river. As for the eagle, presume a creature with human-like intelligence - giant eagles are magical beasts - although IMO it takes a lot less smarts to decide to get out of the fog, imo :smallwink: ))

Ozzy_G
2007-08-12, 08:13 AM
(I'm level 6. I'm assuming that none of the Goblins went before Masaya at initiative 24? Also, did the Oni die, is he badly wounded, reasonably fine, etc?)

Rapscallion
2007-08-12, 09:15 AM
Chion

((I'm level six as well and just waiting for the battle to start in earnest.))

Chion will charge the mob and seek to take them off balance. He's realizes that they may see him coming but he has to get out of the mist.

init 10

Cyrus112
2007-08-12, 09:52 AM
((Just wanted to make sure.))

The oni looks wounded, but not too badly so. And no, they don't go before your 24 Masaya, heh.

Ozzy_G
2007-08-12, 12:33 PM
Before the Bakemono or the Goblins have an opportunity to act, Masaya runs back into the mist around the others, sheathing his sword.

Cyrus112
2007-08-14, 11:02 AM
You all hear movement and fearful sounding conversation coming from the monsters, but because of Masaya's confusing attacks and the obscuring mist, they are floundering about in the trees, confused.

Ozzy_G
2007-08-14, 11:06 AM
(The Bakemono and Oni are all on one side of us, correct?)

tonberryking
2007-08-14, 11:41 AM
(Just letting you know I've been delayed but for good reason this time: Final Final projects and talks with future employers. I'll edit this in a few to get updated again.)

Rapscallion
2007-08-14, 04:28 PM
Chion

Chion will charge the mob and seek to take them off balance. He's realizes that they may see him coming but he has to get out of the mist.

init 10

The_Shaman
2007-08-15, 06:42 AM
(Is it our turn again? It might be useful to break the battle into rounds, so we know what's happening when.)

Cyrus112
2007-08-15, 03:13 PM
((Yeah, I was trying to, hehe. What we'll do is everyone will post their actions for the round and I will address them in the proper turn order. I believe Masaya had highest init? And I do see Chion's action, I'll just wait to see what everyone else is doing for this new round.))

Ozzy_G
2007-08-15, 05:10 PM
Masaya hisses at Chion, Ikiera and Vrishma. We should escape in the fog, before they rally and attack.
(Free speech action, delaying his actual action.)

tonberryking
2007-08-15, 08:16 PM
Initiative (1d20+6=23) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1210251)

I will guard the rear as the rest of you retreat....

It may suddenly occur to the others the reason Masumi was so quiet in the interim was that she only owns one outfit and can change from a human to wolf to a hybrid as many times as she wants. Her voice is deeper, almost rasping as a larger silver form that used to be the ronin-ko remains on the edges of the mist, both swords she possessed have been strapped over her back.

It's at times when we face multiple opponents that I feel it only fair to reveal myself as such..."

(Either I'm using both rounds to drop her gear so she doesn't destroy it or I spent one round doing that and have now delayed until Masaya give sorders)

Rapscallion
2007-08-15, 08:29 PM
Chion

Chion will think to himself as he runs.
What ? No !! we have them and we should smash them

androgial
2007-08-15, 08:36 PM
ikeira

" oh just go finish them off while we have the battlefield advantage and lets get back to sleep. the horses need rest and so do we."

ikeira readies ice knife for either the oni or the spider, whichever presents itself first.

tonberryking
2007-08-15, 09:14 PM
Either way, I fight them...

Ozzy_G
2007-08-16, 07:05 AM
Masaya snarls. Stupid Heimin. And then he vanishes, though you can still hear his footfalls running off towards the Oni.

Going invisible, then running up next to the Oni. I can't attack this turn as it's a run action. Here's a move silently check with a -10 penalty for running. [roll0] And that's my fifth use of Invisibility.

Cyrus112
2007-08-19, 08:43 AM
((Masumi, we'll say you spent both rounds taking care of your stuff so it isn't destroyed.))

Masaya, you run towards the oni, but he grunts and looks around, hearing your approach. He holds his club up warily in front of himself, eyeing his surroundings.

Masumi, your gear is now protected and safe and won't be destroyed.

Chion, you run out of the mist and see two bakemono slowly backing away from said mist. You cut them both down with your naginata.

Ikeira, unless you move out of the mist, you can't see anything at the present time. A screech from your eagle and an agonized squeal from a bakemono tells you that the eagle is starting to do its job.

Two bakemono jump out of the fog and swing their weapons wildly at Chion, but they both miss. You can hear more confused chatter as the bakemono try and make their way out of the fog.

androgial
2007-08-19, 08:56 AM
(ikeira is standing in the middle of the fog, vrishma summoned an eagle)

Cyrus112
2007-08-19, 08:29 PM
((My mistake, heh. Incidentally, need to get an action from V.))

Cyrus112
2007-08-21, 11:21 AM
((Is V around?))

Rapscallion
2007-08-21, 03:17 PM
Chion

Chion will smile and swing his naginata around his body with two quick motions shielding his body as he slices into one of the remaining Bakemono.

Power Attack (+5 to damage -5 to attack)

AC 20 dodge(AC 21) to the second Bakemono
Attack +7 to hit 1d20+7=25 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1217947)
Damage 1D10+9 http:1d10+9 1d10+9=14 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1217941)

Cleave ?1d20+2=7 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1217950) NO !!

Second attack 1d20+7=21 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1217952)
Damage 1d10+9=16 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1217954)

The_Shaman
2007-08-24, 07:30 AM
((Sorry, had to travel a bit. If Vrishma sees anything, he will close in and attack it - Attack 18 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1223045) Damage 11 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1223045); same with the eagle I guess, although as it has not been given any general directions it will do whatever you want it to do, Cyrus ))

Ozzy_G
2007-08-24, 07:34 AM
(So, is it now the next turn?)

Cyrus112
2007-08-24, 05:22 PM
((Yes'um, it is. I have actions from V and Chion. I'm going away for the weekend, so post your actions and I'll addreess things when I come back on Sunday. Have a good weekend everyone))

androgial
2007-08-24, 05:31 PM
ikeira

ikeira stands in the center of the fog ready to toss the ice knife spell at the oni should it make it to him or the spider they left with genki should it have escaped and caught up to them whichever presents its self first.

Ozzy_G
2007-08-25, 07:30 AM
Out of nowhere, Masaya's katana slices at the Oni, and he appears behind it.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Ozzy_G
2007-08-25, 07:32 AM
Masaya's sword slices at the Oni with incredible force.
[roll0]
[roll1] 33 damage all together. If the Oni dies, he'll use his next action to move to a nearby Bakemono.

Cyrus112
2007-08-27, 08:47 AM
Masaya, you strike true, and the Oni stumbles forward and then falls down, dead. Chion strikes down two bakemono with ease. Vrishma clubs another bakemono to the ground and the eagle takes out another. Ikeira, you see the Oni stumble forward and then fall over, dead.

Two bakemono yell and run at Chion through the mist, but both miss terribly.

Ozzy_G
2007-08-27, 11:20 AM
As the Oni dies, Masaya is immediately on the move, towards another Bakemono.

This isn't my next action, just the move action after a standard action. Is it the next turn now?

Cyrus112
2007-08-29, 08:02 AM
((I should probably state when the next turn starts, heh. Yes, it is the next turn. Sorry for delays in posting. School just started back up (my last semester, finally) and I'm feeling a little under the weather. I also forgot to mention that the eagle took out another bakemono, and spot checks for all.))

Ozzy_G
2007-08-30, 06:13 AM
Masaya swings his sword at the vulnerable flesh of another Bakemono.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

androgial
2007-08-30, 08:15 AM
ikeira

[roll0]

The_Shaman
2007-08-30, 01:04 PM
Vrishma

Vrishma will head towards the remaining monster and attack it.

Attack: 20 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1233451)
Damage: 9 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1233453)
Spot check: 18 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1233463)

((Let us know if the eagle sees anything))

Cyrus112
2007-08-31, 09:00 AM
((Should we wait on Masumi?))

Ozzy_G
2007-08-31, 09:06 AM
(How many Bakemono are left?)

tonberryking
2007-08-31, 01:09 PM
(Bleah. Got transferred to a new damn store to work that's an hour away for the rest of the week. Has been messing with my schedule)

Apparently NOBODY is to harm Chion but the werewolf herself if her reaction is any indication. Moving faster than anything natural would have a right to, Masumi is revealed in her were-form; a large silvery white hybrid of wolf and woman, almost mockingly her plaits (though now white) remain as of yet unchanged about her head. The only other distinctly human thing about her are her swords, father's sword rests on her back white the one designed to be effective against the Shadowlands taint swings at the closest bakemono as the lycanthrope snarls.

(Only one attack now but going for a full attack if there's anything left of the monsters: attack #1 (1d20+7=19) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1235408) And damage: damage #1 (1d10+5=9) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1235410) Remind me, what was the bonus to the sword she's recently gotten?)

Cyrus112
2007-09-01, 08:46 AM
((I believe is +2 Taint Resistant, giving you a +4 bonus to Fort saves to resist Shadowlands Taint))

All of the bakemono around you, and the oni, lay dead. However, you all spot one bakemono running flat out away from the battle, his weapons thrown down.

Rapscallion
2007-09-02, 06:14 PM
Chion

Chion will pause and nod to Masumi and then Masaya. he will spin in a circle on his front plant foot to look to see if another band will assault them. He will stop and smile to Masumi.

"Interesting ? So which is your true form and oh are you going to get that last one ? You have the speed to easily overtake him."

Ozzy_G
2007-09-03, 10:36 AM
Masaya nods. Yes, get him quick, we don't want him to alert anyone!

Cyrus112
2007-09-05, 12:16 AM
((You're call, group))

tonberryking
2007-09-05, 12:01 PM
Masumi

The werewolf nods in agreement with Masaya, though her fangs start to bear at Chion's blunt assessment about her condition. Nothing comes of it as she takes off in a blur, intending to hunt down the last properly to slay him rather than stab him in the back as he retreats. Her claws wrapped about the katana shift as her paws lift from the ground; even in this form she sticks to her style and efficiency.

Cyrus112
2007-09-05, 09:31 PM
Masumi, you track down the fleeing bakemono quickly and easily. When you cut across his path, he squeals and falls over, shielding himself with his arms, expecting the killing blow to come any second.

tonberryking
2007-09-06, 01:06 PM
Masumi

On your feet or your death shall be more painful tenfold over.

Our ronin-ko seems unwilling to kill a sniveling monster even if it's such as it is. If the beast doesn't respond to the call for an honorable death she'll dispatch it soon enough with emphasis on pain.

The_Shaman
2007-09-06, 01:23 PM
Vrishma

Although the mist clouds his eyes, eventually Vrishma spots one of the fleeing bakemono and shouts at the eagle to pursue it. Knowing that he should not overwork the beast and the spell does not last long enough, he is glad that Masumi has caught up with it, but does not revoke the request.

Cyrus112
2007-09-07, 10:12 AM
The bakemono does not stand, but just lays there, qivering.

tonberryking
2007-09-07, 02:13 PM
In pure disgust, Masumi finishes the beast off with a stab through the chest before attempting to take it's head off clean. Were it not for the fact that the bakemono, for all his cowardice is still capable of hauling ass to alert more of his ilk to her party, she would never finish off so helpless a creature but necessity is a close teacher to the werewolf and so she follows through.

Cyrus112
2007-09-07, 11:24 PM
The bakemono dies fast. There are no other signs of any other monsters in the area.

Ozzy_G
2007-09-08, 08:48 AM
Right, says Masaya, cleaning his sword and then sheathing it, let's leave and find somewhere else to camp, just in case there are more.

The_Shaman
2007-09-08, 01:12 PM
Vrishma

Vrishma was thinking of asking the monster something, but sighs as Masumi kills it. He hesitates for a moment, before undoing the spell that summoned the eagle . He clasps his hands together and, uncertainly, says a quiet prayer. I think the corpses disposed of should be, indeed they should. Bad, it is, when something so foul is left to corrupt the land. ((Would a knowledge (religion) or (spirits) check be relevant to see if leaving the corpses like that could corrupt the lands or displease the spirits?))

androgial
2007-09-08, 01:29 PM
Ikeira

Ikeira lets the fog dissipate early(dismisses it)

Cyrus112
2007-09-11, 11:17 AM
((Go with a Knowledge Spirits))

tonberryking
2007-09-11, 11:17 AM
Masumi pads back into camp, flicking blood off her blade with a contemptuous snort before replacing it, forcing her movement to me as casual and as regular were she not a massive wolfish form; just because she's acceptive of who and what she is doesn't mean she enjoys parading around like this (or even HAS before, for that matter) as she picks up her gear.

I'd rather scout ahead first to ensure we don't intrude upon anyone else, Bayushi...

Ozzy_G
2007-09-12, 10:08 AM
Masaya nods. Good idea. If you scout ahead, we'll follow, and then you can warn us of any danger.

The_Shaman
2007-09-12, 02:10 PM
Vrishma

Vrishma remains at the spot for the moment, looking at the surrounding corpses with some wariness.

Knowledge(spirits)=1d20+11=24 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1258996) ; 21 if he can just take 10

Cyrus112
2007-09-13, 08:02 AM
((The spirits most likely would, in fact, take offense to creatures of the Shadowlands left out to rot))

tonberryking
2007-09-13, 11:22 AM
Masumi

Taking a moment to look around her, as she isn't exactly sure of how to handle this without it seeming odd, Masumi unbinds both swords from her back, wrapping them within the bundle of clothes she put away earlier and hands/offers the bunch to Bayushi, awkwardly, though making it clear out of the group she finds the Scorpion most trustworthy to keep an eye on her belongings...

"This will only slow me down, though please do not take offense that I have elected you as my porter, Bayushi-san...

With that, her form shifts again, smaller this time and without any human trappings about it, and without a look back the wolf darts into the woods to scout ahead.

The_Shaman
2007-09-13, 12:32 PM
Vrishma

The Vanara, who for a moment seemed lost in thought, shudders. Sorry, I am, but more work I have here. The taint of these fiends in death and life alike spreads, it does. A great affront, it would be, to the spirits if such dark monsters disposed quickly are not. Any help I would welcome, I would. he says, and heads towards the nearest corpse. Now, how best that to do, I wonder.... He crouches near the bakemono corpse and sniffs it.

((is there any way to know if bakemono flesh is in any way harmful to animals? He'd rather avoid burning the corpses))

Rapscallion
2007-09-13, 03:51 PM
Chion

"I will stay behind with Vrishma in order to dispose of the bodies." Chion lays down his weapon and goes to fetch his and the shamen's horses. "Whatever you need me to do, just ask Vrishma."

androgial
2007-09-13, 04:20 PM
Ikeira

Ikeira heads in the direction masumi came from to retrieve the other bakemono's body and bring it back for disposal.

Ozzy_G
2007-09-14, 08:42 AM
Masaya stands, holding Masumi's stuff, and looking around. Uh, I'd help, but I'm holding these. Don't want to anger a woman who can turn into a wolf by getting her clothes dirty, he says with a wry smile.

Cyrus112
2007-09-15, 10:00 AM
((Knowledge Shadowlands if you have it, V. If not, straight Int check would work))

The_Shaman
2007-09-15, 05:58 PM
((Ugh, nice time for RPGwebprofiler.net to be down. Still, I don't think I had SPs for knowledge (shadowlands), only religion and spirits. Anyone care to chime in?))

Vrishma

Vrishma looks at the others with some concern. Hmm, problems that may bring, it may... he sighs and addresses his companions (those that remain there at least). Would you know if the flesh of these oni edible for the forest beasts is, I ask?

((Int check: 1d20+1=2 (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1267793). Ugh))

Cyrus112
2007-09-16, 08:14 PM
((V, you have no idea one way or another if bakemono flesh is edible or not))

The_Shaman
2007-09-18, 04:22 AM
Vrishma

Vrishma sighs. Unfortunate it is, but nothing to my mind comes, indeed it does not. Yet I am sure, I am, that to leave those beasts here great misfortune will bring. Saying this, he looks around trying to find something that could be of help.

((OOC: any suggestions from anyone? I'd suggest burning the corpses, but V is not really very fond of fire.))

Ozzy_G
2007-09-18, 08:57 AM
Masaya looks around, but can't really see many options. You could bury them, you could burn them, or you could move them. Moving them would be too much work. I don't know much about spirits and shadowland creatures, so I don't know what to suggest.

Cyrus112
2007-09-21, 01:42 PM
((It's on all of you right now. I'm waiting to see what you all finally decide to do))

Rapscallion
2007-09-21, 02:59 PM
Chion

"We will need a fire to cleanse their bodies from this land then." Chion will search for enough scrub to use as tinder and then begin looking for good wood to use.

(OOC:We have horses so this shouldn't be a problem.)

The_Shaman
2007-09-23, 03:52 PM
Vrishma

Vrishma nods, with certain displeasure, at Chion's words. He will help the samurai gather wood, but will not participare in the lighting of the fire and, in fact, will stand a certain distance away from the pyres.

Cyrus112
2007-09-24, 09:18 AM
You find tinder and more substantial fuel quickly and have a good blaze going in no time.

tonberryking
2007-09-24, 09:39 AM
(...Bloody hell. I'm going to have to postpone my actions; Apparently the server all my sheets were on is now GONE...)

androgial
2007-09-24, 01:43 PM
(if you were using tangled web and are running ie6 theres a known problem. its hit or miss some times it loads the page sometimes it hangs and sometimes all you get is that sc:something picture. they updated the whole site to a new format once you get in theres a link in the news to the old site you can export your charactor files to your local comp then import them unto a new account)

Ikeira

Ikeira returns with the lone body masumi chased down and tosses it onto the pyre.

tonberryking
2007-09-24, 01:56 PM
(Coyote Code, actually. :/)

androgial
2007-09-24, 02:10 PM
(what the heck!! i just finished transferring all my charactors over yesterday)

Rapscallion
2007-09-24, 10:11 PM
Chion

Chion begins piling bakemono bodies on the pyre in hopes that fire will cleanse the bodies of their taint as it would disease from a corpse. He will take care to strip down to bare flesh by removing his haroi and shirt to work quickly by the fire.

Cyrus112
2007-09-25, 10:13 AM
A respectable blaze is going and it seems all of the bodies are burning quite well. You all notice, however, that as the bodies burn, the smell of cooking meat rises into the air. It does smell somehow...corrupted, like rotting meat.

tonberryking
2007-09-27, 08:21 PM
Meanwhile, the silvery wolf seems hampered in marginal ways by the terrain, but ensures that even if she's not gaining too much ground, no one is seeing her in the process

Survival (1d20+8=11) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1289623)
Move silently (1d20+9=16) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1289626)
Move silently (1d20+7=25) (http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=1289628) (this one was supposed to be Hide, not MS

The_Shaman
2007-10-01, 07:18 AM
Vrishma

Vrishma looks at the fire with distaste, and his brow wrinkles when the smell hits. In death as well these beasts despoil the lands, they do. But let us go - here enough we have done, I think.

Forgive me, great ones, that I could devise no better way to dispose of the taint. Having said that, he will make sure that the fire can't spread anywhere beyond the pyre by plucking out the grass near it.

((I hope the patron spirits don't take offense at that as well. Anyone else remembers something to do?))

Cyrus112
2007-10-01, 02:19 PM
((What exactly are you doing, Masumi?))

Ozzy_G
2007-10-02, 05:15 AM
Masaya nods. Yes, that should be enough, we should start travwelling the way Masumi went.

Rapscallion
2007-10-02, 07:51 PM
Chion

Chion will dress again and put on his white shirt and red jacket.

"Yes, we should go before she slays everything ahead of us."

Chion will stop to pick up his rosewood naginata and move off to remount his horse.

He will pause next to Vrishma, " I am sorry Shaman, I do not know if this was right but I do not think it was wrong."

The_Shaman
2007-10-03, 06:11 PM
Vrishma

The Vanara looks up from his doings and smiles at Chion. Oh, sad do not be, Chion, I say. I wish we could dispose of these creatures cleaner, I do, yet no better way see I myself. Still, no reason for shame there is, I think: we have bested a vile foe, and a more numerous one. Would I that their kin would as easily dispatched be! he exclaims, before going back to his business. He finishes in a few moments, and turns back to the you samurai. I hope my village not in any trouble is, that I do. Our warriors are no inferior to any others I've seen, they are, yet to find monsters here - a troubling sign it is, I say.
Vrishma stands up and, with one last look, turns in the direction of the horses. Are they still there?

Cyrus112
2007-10-04, 07:47 AM
The horses are still where you picketed them.

((Also, what exactly is Masumi looking for?))

tonberryking
2007-10-04, 09:12 PM
((Lay of the land type of stuff, any other hostile individuals or animals, scouting, basically))

Cyrus112
2007-10-05, 10:41 PM
Everything seems pretty peaceful, Masumi. No signs of any Shadowlands creatures in the area.

((You all catching up/tracking Masumi or waiting for her to come back?))

androgial
2007-10-05, 10:50 PM
ikeira follows along with the other mumbling and grumbling about lack of sleep

The_Shaman
2007-10-06, 05:49 PM
((I thought Chion and me were supposed to catch up to the group, but apparently Masaya is still with us. Is he?))

Vrishma

The shaman nods towards the horses. Ready should we be when Masumi comes back, indeed we should. Can you much further go, I ask?

Ozzy_G
2007-10-06, 06:04 PM
(Yes, Masaya stayed with you to hold Masumi's stuff.)

Masaya nods his head towards the path that Masumi took. We should of course stay close to hear, in order that Masumi might find us, but I don't want to be standing by burning Oni and Bakemono. I doubt Masumi will appreciate her clothes smelling of burning flesh.

tonberryking
2007-10-07, 04:37 PM
Nor would I... The hybrid form Masumi agrees as she appears back amidst the others.

After recollecting her gear and disappearing behind a tree, the ronin reappears adjusting the sword across her back before motioning to leave.

We won't be entertaining any more guests such as these tonight, I feel; it's safe to move on...

Ozzy_G
2007-10-07, 05:54 PM
Masaya grins. Excellent! Then let's carry on and find somewhere else to finish sleeping properly.

Rapscallion
2007-10-08, 07:06 PM
Chion

"Not to worry Vrishma if your bushi fight as I do you should have no problem defending your clan. hmmm unless the tainted were to use unhonorable means."

Chion will mount and await the group to continue on.

"Ahh Masumi good to have you back."

Cyrus112
2007-10-09, 07:44 AM
((For the sake of expediency...))

The rest of the trip goes by uneventfully. You see no signs of either Genki or the creepy old lady. After some more travel, you come across two jittery looking Vanaran guards.

"S...state your business, strangers," one says, brandishing his weapon.

Ozzy_G
2007-10-09, 08:30 AM
Masaya inclines his head towards Vrishma. Do you want to explain, or shall I?

The_Shaman
2007-10-10, 11:31 AM
Vrishma

Vrishma nods and steps down from the horse. He looks at one of the guards for a moment, then relaxes and addresses him calmly in their own sing-song tongue. We come in peace, Agni - is that you, I ask? I am Vrishma, I am, and the humans my friends are. To the Kaiahata lands we must travel, indeed we must, and here safe rest I thought to find. What has happened, I ask? Quite alarmed, you seem.

Cyrus112
2007-10-11, 08:51 AM
((I believe the people who run this lovely forum want us to keep strings to 50 pages or less, so once we reach the 50 page mark, I'm going to start a part 2 string.))

"Vrishma, how have you been?" exclaims the one. "What brings you back to your homelands so soon after leaving? Perhaps that it is good that you have returned. The sacred grove located in your tribe's lands has become...off. People have disappeared, and Shadowlands creatures are glimpsed sometimes going into a cave, and they never come out. Any scout or force that has been sent in has also been lost."

Rapscallion
2007-10-12, 12:42 PM
Chion

"Yes ! ...., I mean how unfortunate. We should go there with all haste to battle the shadowland infection in your land Vrishma."
Chion will sit easily in the saddle and smile at the shaman.

tonberryking
2007-10-12, 02:10 PM
Masumi

The werewolf glances at Chion with a sour look; though this may also be due to the fact she's once again in the saddle and looking somewhat pensive about that to begin with.

Cyrus112
2007-10-12, 03:31 PM
((I will be gone for the weekend. So just post a few things if you want, and I will address actions Sunday night/sometime Monday. Have a good weekend all.))

Ozzy_G
2007-10-12, 07:10 PM
Masaya just waits, watching the Vanaras' conversation with interest.

The_Shaman
2007-10-15, 01:33 PM
Vrishma

The shaman's wary calmness (or what passes for wary calmness in his case) nearly evaporates that the sentry's words, and he stares at his kinsman with wide-open eyes. By Hanuman's tail, the sacred grove, you say? And the spirits have not even called me, indeed they haven't?
Are they seeing no need...No, I think. Either a dire test, this is, or vile forces weaken them so their call does not reach me! Horrible! How...when...Indeed most distressing, this is! I apologize, Agni, but I must make haste, I must. Is the way to the village safe, I ask? he says. While he seems to have regained some composure with the last sentence, his speech sounds hurried and alarmed.

((Did the sentry reply in Common, or in Vanara?))

Cyrus112
2007-10-15, 03:30 PM
((The conversation is taking place in Vanaran. If you'll recall, Genki spoke of the Shakoki Dogu already, so you have some idea of what's going on already. If you need a refresher, I'd be happy to do so))

"The way is clear, Vrishma. May the spirits bring you luck." The vanaran guards bow and let you all pass.

Rapscallion
2007-10-15, 05:19 PM
((Strike what Chion said then, he will look on if the conversation is in Varayan.))

The_Shaman
2007-10-16, 06:19 PM
Vrishma

The shaman nods to the two guards, May the spirits bless and protect you, I pray. Be alert, I say - a while back, several of the smaller bakemono and an oni tried to ambush us. Like chill wind in the spring, they come unexpected. he says, thoughtfully, as he climbs back in the saddle.

((Presuming the guards don't ask him for more details))

Vrishma taps his horse's haunches to get him to move. He starts mumbling something in Vanaran as he goes, nodding to himself.

Ozzy_G
2007-10-16, 07:47 PM
So, Vrishma-san, asks Masaya as he follows Vrishma, what was that about?

Rapscallion
2007-10-18, 01:42 PM
Chion

The unicorn clansman will urge his horse forward at the end of the line of that is the party.

Cyrus112
2007-10-19, 03:57 PM
((Anymore char interaction, or shall I move things along?))

Ozzy_G
2007-10-19, 04:28 PM
(I want to find out what Vrishma learned from his conversation, but as long as he tells us in Rokugani what they said in Vanaran, I'm happy to move on.)

tonberryking
2007-10-19, 05:26 PM
(Masumi is rather quiet at this juncture after having been in wolf form in front of her allies for the first time... It's left her somewhat sullen)

androgial
2007-10-19, 06:08 PM
Ikeira

Ikeira continues to be ikeira, though he is getting more and more sluggish in the mornings as if he wasnt getting enough rest. this of course is only an apparent situation as he has no troubles with activities during the day, though he does seem more irritated when woken up. on top of that he starts scratching random spots, except for the tattooed arm.

The_Shaman
2007-10-19, 06:48 PM
Vrishma

The vanara looks on for a moment before catching up with his name. Wha? Oh, Masaya, it is you, I say. I fear some trouble I may have, I do. Darkness has befallen a holy site near my tribe's lands, indeed it has, and monsters roam there. A shame for both my kin and the spirits, it is... You do not begrudge me a little stay there, I hope. Having said that, he turns backwards and looks around the road for a minute as the horse goes on.

((Are we still on the way which Shimikawa can follow? I think V told her that we'd be going in a certain direction.))

Rapscallion
2007-10-19, 08:49 PM
Chion

Chion will ride up happily clutching the naginata and looking at ease in the saddle.

"Vrishma, remember we were told the taint has gotten stronger. I think this is not a side task but our destiny to cleanse the taint as we come across it. We were chosen to do this. Lead on good shaman to this shrine that will be clean again.

Ozzy_G
2007-10-20, 05:48 AM
Is the shrine the same one we are going to, or a different one? asks Masaya.

Cyrus112
2007-10-20, 03:43 PM
((Shimikawa is indeed with you))

The_Shaman
2007-10-22, 12:15 PM
Vrishma

Vrishma cheers up a little at Chion's reassuring words, and seems to have regained his composure. Thank you for the warm words, I do. Masaya, that... Shiro Heiichi, was it, how the sage called it? It is not in our lands, indeed it isn't. Another tribe has put its homes in that land, it has, but mine is on the way. We are close, we are, and waiting may be worthwhile - a hearth is warmer than a stone, and a calm sleep more restful than nightly vigil. Having said that, he looks at Shimikawa with a slight frown. What do I do with you, Shimikawa, I ask? No homewife will like you sniffing around her children or foraging in her cellar, dear friend. he says in Vanaran.

Cyrus112
2007-10-25, 10:05 AM
((Ah, hmm. A misunderstanding perhaps on my part? What you are heading towards is indeed Shiro Heichi. That's the name of the place. The name of the things are the Shakoki Dogu. Of course, reports are muddled and all will be made clearer upon arrival at the village. Speaking of which...))

You all get to the village shortly after. There is a gasp from some guards.

"Vrishma," one says in Vanaran, "it is good that you have come back. Perhaps with your knowledge of the spirits, you can help us in this time of trouble."

Ozzy_G
2007-10-25, 10:45 AM
Masaya nudges Vrishma. What's he saying, Vrishma-san? Obviously even if he's got the idea of addressing them by their actual names, it would seem Masaya still hasn't gotten used to the idea of letting Heimin do the diplomacy.

The_Shaman
2007-10-26, 03:59 PM
Vrishma

The shaman replies with a friendly Well met, Akihul! in his language before turning towards Masaya. A moment, Masaya - troubles have darkened the village, indeed they have, but what I know not. Perhaps it's the same thing the sentries mentioned, I think. My knowledge?Did something happen to Aki, I wonder, or are the elders too far?

Vrishma turns back towards the guard who greeted him, and dismounts before addressing them in their own language. What seems to be the matter, Akihul, I ask?

Cyrus112
2007-10-26, 05:08 PM
"The elders don't know what to do. A long abandoned cave, we think it was a mine at one point, seems to be not so abandoned anymore. I don't know many of the details. If you could make your way to the elder's hut, I'm sure more can be explained to you there."

The_Shaman
2007-10-27, 01:40 PM
Vrishma

Vrishma nods at the guards and takes the reins of the horse in his hand, ready to continue on foot. Thank you, Akihul, I do. Presently I will go to the elder's hut, I will; hopefully my friends and I can handle the problem. By the way, has Aki passed by the village soon? I wanted to see her if I could, he adds (so far this, too, has been Vanaran).

((note to Cyrus: as V's story was lost in the RPGwebprofiler crash, you might not remember this: Aki, sometimes called Aki of the Three Thunders, was Vrishma's teacher and is still somewhat of a mentor figure for him. She is/was a bit of hermit, but lived relatively close and passed by the village every now and then as he left.))

Cyrus112
2007-10-27, 10:20 PM
The vanaran looks uncomfortable and looks at the ground but says, "You will get some answers at the Elder's Hut, Vrishma. You should make your way there."

Cyrus112
2007-10-30, 09:47 PM
((Any further questions or moving along?))

Cyrus112
2007-11-01, 08:56 AM
((Um, hello? You all still around? Lol, did this campaign just die?))

Rapscallion
2007-11-01, 09:40 AM
((We can continue to the hut please Cyrus.))

Ozzy_G
2007-11-01, 10:40 AM
(Yeah, I don't have any more questions. Just to confirm, this shrine Vrishma has been told about is the one we are going to?)

Cyrus112
2007-11-02, 04:06 PM
((It is the one Genki mentioned, yes))

You make your way through the village with whispers and stares following the group. The chatter in the Elder's Hut dies down as the group enters, and a few elderly Vanarans look at the group.

"Vrishma," the oldest looking one says. "Is that you?"

((This is in Vanaran))

Ozzy_G
2007-11-02, 05:54 PM
Masaya just stands there, watching the Vanaras, waiting for Vrishma to explain what's going on.

The_Shaman
2007-11-03, 10:06 AM
Vrishma

Vrishma has been going through the village seemingly without worry, but he has tried to carefully observe what has changed - and it seems the mood in Ashoka is different than that of the village he left months ago. Friends, my kinsmen may be somewhat... irreverent for your tastes, I fear, but do not take offense. Curiosity is not a means of insult here, I say, he says in common, and adds in moderation, at least.

He enters the hut and bows deeply to the old vanaras, before greeting them with a May the blessing of the spirits be with you. At the words of the elder, he nods Yes, Elder Manu, it is me. The rivers of life lead me back to my home, they do, if only in passing. How fare you, I ask? he says, his words again in the Vanaran tongue.

Rapscallion
2007-11-03, 02:47 PM
Chion

The powerfull young noble will stand reverently quiet behind Vrishma as a symbol of respect for the Shamen.

Cyrus112
2007-11-04, 10:35 AM
"Things here have been very tense, Vrishma," Elder Manu says. "One of our young men discovered what appeared to be a long abandoned mine some weeks ago. He came back and reported his findings to us. He said he didn't enter the mine because he said it felt as if there was a strange...almost alien awareness to the area." Elder Manu looks up.

"My manners have deserted me," he says to Vrishma. "Who are these people that travel with you? And can they be trusted?"

((This is still in Vanaran))

The_Shaman
2007-11-05, 08:37 PM
Vrishma

Vrishma listens attentively to the elder's story and strokes his chin at the mention of the ruin. A mine? Most curious, I say. That a cave in the groves could be left unexplored I can understand, I can, but who would construct a mine here - and how long ago? As for the humans... Hmm, I'd trust them with my own life, I would, but.... Vrishma sighs and bites his lower lip. He then draws a deep breath and starts a tale in his usual calm, melodic voice. I will recount my story so far, I say, so you more about my travels and companions you know, Elder Manu. As you know, Elder Manu, our protector spirits long looked with wariness over the mountains , that they did, and bid me find out more about the darkness that they felt waxing. South to the human lands I traveled, I did, to ask their sages and see myself what happened. As the spirits willed, they were long fighting the spawn of the Darkness - fell beasts and ogres, all, I say. An army the human high chief raised to fight the Darkness, they said, and with I went. A bleak,tainted wasteland we entered, we did - the homelands of the Darkness, it is, which humans call the Lands of Shadow. Yet the army failed, that it did: a magic item of great power exploded in a battle and many died with it. I and two of my comrades - the masked one, Masaya, and the robed one, Ikeira, are survivors, we are. After the battle, we suffered an illness from the taint of that dark place, I think. We were told to seek a hermit Genki, we were - he was thought to be a great shaman among the humans and long an enemy of the Darkness. The other two - the young warrior, Chion, and the huntress, Masumi, offered us assistance in our travels, that they did.

We traveled long, we did, before meeting this shaman, and several times by the blessing of the spirits we felled the spawn of Darkness. The shaman told us of several sites that hide items that the Dark wants and that could help us cleanse ourselves. One he said was near here; I thought it was the ruins the Kaiahata live near, I did, but these news make me think it could be closer.

As for how trustworthy they are, Elder Manu, for many things reliable I think them, I do. They would no more a stretched hand bite than I would, I believe, and they have their own reasons to want the Darkness banished. It is a strange honor that guides them, indeed it is, but honor nonetheless. Their help I trust, Elder Manu, though not all secrets would I divulge to them. Does something worry you, I ask - something that you prefer them not knowing? he finally ends, looking at the elder with curiosity and concern.

Rapscallion
2007-11-05, 08:55 PM
Chion

Chion will stand and look around the room, shaking his long hair which is tied in a top occasionaly to break up the boredom which now creeping into him.

Cyrus112
2007-11-06, 11:04 AM
Elder Manu shakes his head. "If you trust them, than shall we all. An interesting tale you have told, Vrishma."

Elder Manu turns and addresses the entire group in fluent Common.

"Welcome, all. Vrishma has just told me of your plight. Perhaps it is the Spirits wish that Taint tortured individuals are the ones that must relieve us of our Shadowland troubles. Not too long ago, a cave was discovered. It was long abandoned and showed signs of having been a mine. The scout came back to report what he found and that he felt...alien eyes watching his every move. We sent a small group in to investigate. We haven't seen them since. Vrishma, your mentor went to investigate as well...and....hasn't been heard from. We also have seen Shadowlands creatures poking around near the mine, but those who go in do not come out."

Ozzy_G
2007-11-06, 11:33 AM
What is the name of this cave? asks Masaya. We are looking for a specific shrine, and I wonder if it may be the same one.

Cyrus112
2007-11-06, 05:05 PM
"If some legends are to be believed, this cave houses the Shiro Heichi shrine," says Elder Manu. "So we simply call it Shiro Heichi."

Ozzy_G
2007-11-06, 05:30 PM
(That is the one we're looking for, right?)

Cyrus112
2007-11-06, 07:36 PM
((hehe, it is indeed))

Ozzy_G
2007-11-06, 07:52 PM
That is indeed the same shrine we came to investigate. It seems the spirits are with you... but not with us, as this will make our task much harder. Masaya looks around at his companions. Well, we had better investigate what has happened at this cave. We need to reach the shrine anyway.

The_Shaman
2007-11-08, 04:15 PM
Vrishma

((Is this still taking place in the night?))

As soon as possible, Masaya, indeed we shall. For now, it may be a good idea some rest to get, I think. We have been on the move for quite a while, indeed we have, and we may not find a good opportunity soon either. Does anyone have other ideas, I ask? Vrishma says in common.

Rapscallion
2007-11-08, 11:51 PM
Chion

"The sooner we deal with the shrine the better." Chion will bow to the Elder. "Thank you for your time and council. We will try and cleanse the shrine as we can." The Unicorn Bushi will nod and await the others,

Cyrus112
2007-11-09, 08:17 AM
It's a little past dawn at this point.

Cyrus112
2007-11-09, 08:18 AM
"We thank you for your generous help," Elder Manu says. The other elders nod their heads. "You all look tired. Feel free to rest here as needed. I'll have our people prepare a meal for you all for later in the day. It will be a feast of sorts."

Ozzy_G
2007-11-09, 09:22 AM
That seems like the best plan, nods Masaya. We will recoup our strength, and then venture into the shrine in the afternoon.

The_Shaman
2007-11-11, 05:10 AM
Vrishma

((Oops, is it too late to say V left Shimikawa near the village, telling her to wait until called?))

I thank you for your hospitality, I do, the shaman says with a small bow and a barely noticable yawn. ((Does Vrishma know of a place in the village that they are likely to be invited to or one where they could leave their mounts?))

Cyrus112
2007-11-11, 09:58 PM
((I'm sure V's family would like to see him again and put him and his group up in their lodgings for as long as needed. *wink wink nudge nudge* Hehe))

The_Shaman
2007-11-12, 04:02 PM
((I guess I'm not exactly the best person to play a high-wis, high-int character, am I? Thanks for the hint, I appreciate it. Still, is there something like a stable in the village? I do not picture Vanara being exactly horse-people, but you never know ;) ))

Vrishma

The shaman looks at his companions and nods towards the exit. Well, that was that, I say. There are others I would like to see, I would... Would you care to come along, I ask? he says to them with a slight smile on his lips.

Rapscallion
2007-11-12, 09:00 PM
Chion

"Well, why not. Family is one giri that we should not forsake lest we anger the ancestral spirits." Chion will sigh and continue on with V.

Cyrus112
2007-11-13, 08:47 AM
((V, you notice that the horses are calm and docile, much the way they were when they were in Genki's domain. You could probably just let them go once you reach your family's hut. Speaking of which...))

You walk for a little ways and then you see the house where you grew up, V. There is an older Vanaran female outside doing laundry. She stops and looks up and runs over to Vrishma and hugs him warmly.

"Welcome home, dear son. And how have the spirits been?"

Ozzy_G
2007-11-13, 10:51 AM
Masaya simply stands behind Vrishma, looking slightly uncomfortable. He scratches his face under his mask.

Cyrus112
2007-11-14, 05:46 PM
((Waitin on Vrishma))

The_Shaman
2007-11-14, 09:00 PM
Vrishma

Vrishma hugs his mother tightly and laughs merrily. I missed you too, mother, that I did, he says in Vanaran. After she lets go of him (it takes a while) he looks at her with a wide grin on his face before answering. Ah, the spirits have sent me on quite the errand, that they have. To the human lands I traveled their bidding to do, that I did - but as they would have it, there is something for me to do closer to home. Quite the story, it is! But first, meet my fellow players, I ask - they are Masaya, Chion, Masumi and Ikeira, he says, pointing with his hand over to the others.

Ozzy_G
2007-11-15, 06:13 AM
Masaya waves uncertainly.

Cyrus112
2007-11-15, 02:22 PM
"Welcome all," she says in heavily accented Common. "Welcome to our home. Please, make yourselves comfortable, I'll see if I can find some food. You all look so undernourished."

She bustles into the kitchen, singing softly in Vanaran.

Rapscallion
2007-11-15, 10:34 PM
Chion

"My thanks for your hospitality, may your horses run true." Chion will smile and rest his naginata against his chair and sit down with a small flash of movement. He will look around with assuming airs or passing judgement on the house. He seems content to look around the house that the young shamen grew up in.