PDA

View Full Version : PEACH 4E Hexblade

Ceaon
2010-06-12, 11:08 AM
Hello everyone! I'm trying to convert the hexblade from 3.5 to 4th edition. As the title says, I'd like some critique on how I'm doing so far.

Edit: This post has been edited a few times. This is the current version, and any critique is still very welcome.

Edit edit: The newest version of this homebrew class can be found here:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9433252#post9433252

HEXBLADE

“With great power comes great responsibility. And I've been responsible for a lot of things.”

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/cwc_Hexblade_med.jpg

Class Traits

Role: Striker. Your already impressive skill with your weapon is augmented by your arcane talent. Depending on the choices you make during your career, you can act as a back-up defender or controller.
Power Source: Arcane. Although many would mistake your combat exploits for pure martial talent, you mostly use your innate arcane powers to defeat your foes.
Key Abilities: Charisma, Constitution, Strength

Armor Proficiencies: Cloth, leather, hide
Weapon Proficiencies: Simple melee, simple ranged, military melee
Implements: Heavy blades, staffs
Bonus to Defense: +1 Fort, +1 Will

Hit Points at 1st Level: 12 + Constitution score
Hit Points per Level Gained: 5
Healing Surges per Day: 6 + Constitution modifier
Trained Skills: Arcana. From the class skills list below, choose three more trained skills at 1st level.
Class Skills: Arcana (Int), Bluff (Cha), Diplomacy (Cha), Endurance (Con), Insight (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Stealth (Dex), Thievery (Dex)
Class Features: Arcane Resistance, Dark Augmentation, Hexblade’s Curse
Hexblades are considered dangerous and unpredictable. They are comparable to sorcerers in that they are born with arcane magic flowing through their veines. Unlike sorcerers, however, they don’t use their power to directly influence the world around them. Instead they augment their combat abilities, becoming impressive melee combatants in their own right.
Unlike swordmages, who use their arcane talents to protect others, hexblades are quite selfish. Some would even say their methods are vile and evil by default, for they curse their opponents with unspeakably dark and powerful hexes to make them suffer. Some hexblades defend themselves by saying they only do this because it increases their chances in combat. Others gleefully admit they do it because they like to torture those who oppose them.

HEXBLADE CLASS FEATURES
Hexblades have the following class features.

Arcane Resistance
You can use your arcane hexes to protect you from harm. While you are neither wearing heavy armor nor using a shield, you gain a +2 bonus to AC. Increases this bonus to +3 at 11th level and to +4 at 21st level.

Dark Augmentation
As a hexblade, you use your powers to empower yourself. This augmentation is a very individual thing. However, hexblades can be roughly divided into two different categories. Choose one of the following benefits. This choice will also influence some of your powers.

Abyssal Augmentation
While wielding a staff, you gain resistance equal to your constitution modifier against attacks made by the target of your hexblade’s curse. Increase the resistance to 2 + consititution modifier at 11th level and 4 + constitution modifier at 21st level.
Draconic Augmentation
While wielding a heavy blade, you gain a bonus to damage rolls against the target of your hexblade’s curse equal to your strength modifier. Increase this bonus to 2 + strength modifier at 11th level and 4 + strength modifier at 21st level.
Hexblade’s Curse
Hexblade’s Curse Hexblade Feature
Cackling and sneering, you curse your foe via ancient arcane arts.
Encounter (Special) ✦ Arcane
Minor Action Close burst 5
Target: One enemy you can see in burst
Effect: The target takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls made against you, a -2 penalty to defenses against attacks made by you, and a -2 penalty to saving throws against any effect caused by you. These effects lasts until the end of the encounter or until the target drops to 0 hit points, at which point you regain the use of this power.

IMPLEMENTS
Hexblades are able to use swords and staffs as implements for their powers. Being able to use their sword or staff as a weapon one second and as an implement the next is a big part of what makes the hexblade a dangerous and unpredictable foe. Very seldomly, a hexblade uses both a staff and a sword, one in each hand.

HEXBLADE POWERS
Your hexblade powers are called hexes. Although many of your exploits contain some martial elements, most of your effectiveness comes from the way you use your arcane might to boost your skill with your weapon.

Level 1 At-Will Hexes
Dance of the Damned Hexblade Attack 1
You whirl your weapon around you, then make another attack against a foe.
At-Will ✦ Arcane, Weapon
Standard Action Close burst 1
Target: Each creature in burst
Attack: Charisma vs. AC
Hit: Constitution modifier damage. If at least one attack hits, make a secondary attack.
Secondary target: One creature in burst you hit with the primary attack.
Secondary attack: Charisma vs. AC
Hit: 1|W| + Charisma modifier damage.
21st level: Increase damage to 2|W| + charisma modifier.

Dirty Trick Hexblade Attack 1
You kick, slap or headbut your opponent after you distract him with a flash of arcane energy.
At-Will ✦ Arcane, Implement
Standard Action Melee 1
Target: One creature
Attack: Charisma vs. Fortitude
Hit: 1d6 + Charisma modifier damage, and you gain combat advantage against the target until the end of your next turn.
21st level: Increase damage to 2d6 + charisma modifier damage.

Phantom Threat Hexblade Attack 1
Just as you’re about to hit your enemy, you unleash a powerful arcane energy from your hand.
At-Will ✦ Arcane, Implement, Psychic
Standard Action Melee 1
Attack: Charisma vs. Will
Hit: 1d6 + charisma modifier psychic damage and the target is marked until the end of it's next turn.
21st level: Increase damage to 2d6 + charisma modifier.

Soul Taint Hexblade Attack 1
With your attack, you damage more than just your foe’s body.
Encounter✦ Arcane, Implement, Necrotic
Standard Action Melee 1
Attack: Charisma vs. Reflex
Hit: 1d6 + charisma modifier necrotic damage. If the target makes an attack that doesn't include you during its next turn, it takes an additional 1d6 + strength modifier necrotic damage.
21st level: Increase the damage to 2d6 + charisma modifier necrotic damage and 2d6 + strength modifier necrotic damage.
Level 1 Encounter Hexes
Flames for Everyone Hexblade Attack 1
By raising your implement high into the air, you curse your foes and set them aflame.
Encounter✦ Arcane, Fire, Implement
Standard Action Area burst 1 in 10
Target: Each enemy in burst
Hit: 2d4 + charisma modifier fire damage. Each target takes a penalty to its reflex defense equal to your constitution modifier until the end of your next turn.

No Nonsense Hexblade Attack 1
Enough fooling around, this guy is going down.
Encounter✦ Arcane, Weapon
Standard Action Melee weapon
Target: One enemy
Hit: 1|W| + charisma modifier damage, and you knock the target prone.
Miss: No damage. If the target is affected by your Hexblade's curse, you knock the target prone.

Skewering Strike Hexblade Attack 1
Your swordplay is enhanced by an outburst of pure arcane power.
Encounter✦ Arcane, Weapon
Target: One target
Attack: Charisma vs. AC, Reflex
Hit: If the attack hits either AC or Reflex, 1|W| + charisma modifier damage. If the attack hits both defenses, you deal extra damage equal to your strength modifier.

Shadow Step Hexblade Attack 1
After you hit your foe with your weapon, you step to the side.
Encounter ✦ Arcane, Weapon
Target: One enemy
Hit: 2|W| + charisma modifier damage, and you may shift 2 squares after the attack.
Level 1 Daily Hexes
Hex of Blinding Light Hexblade Attack 1
You hold your implement close to your opponents eyes, after which a dazzling light springs from it.
Daily✦ Arcane, Implement, Radiant
Standard Action Melee 1
Hit: 3d6 + charisma modifier radiant damage.
Miss: Half damage.
Abyssal Augmentation: Any enemy adjacent to you, including the primary target, takes radiant damage equal to 5 + your constitution modifier.

Hex of Darkfire Hexblade Attack 1
The secret of darkfire springs from your implement and scorches the area around you. The flames keep burning although there's nothing left to be burned.
Daily✦ Arcane, Fire, Implement
Standard Action Close blast 3
Target: One creature in blast
Attack: Charisma vs. Reflex
Hit: 2d10 + charisma modifier fire damage and ongoing 5 fire damage (save ends).
Miss: Half damage and no ongoing fire damage.
Effect: The blast creates a zone that lasts until the end of the encounter. Any creature that enters the zone or ends its turn there takes ongoing 5 fire damage (save ends).

Hex of Pain Hexblade Attack 1
You smack the enemy hard, making the thought of ignoring you mental torture.
Daily✦ Arcane, Psychic, Weapon
Standard Action Melee Weapon
Hit: 3|W| + charisma modifier damage.
Draconic Augmentation: Until the end of your next turn, the target takes psychic damage equal to 5 + your strength modifier the first time it makes an attack that doesn't include you.

Hex of the Vortex Hexblade Attack 1
Empowering yourself with a hex only you know, you strike out at an unlucky target. You now know how to hit him.
Daily✦ Arcane, Weapon
Standard Action Melee Weapon
Hit: 1|W| + charisma modifier damage.
Effect: Until the end of the encounter, you gain a +2 power bonus to attack rolls against the target if it has no other enemies adjacent to it.
Level 2 Utility Hexes *NEW*
Entropic Shield Hexblade Utility 2
Your arcane powers protect you against harm from afar.
Daily ✦ Arcane
Minor Action Personal
Effect: Until the end of the encounter, you gain a +2 power bonus to your defenses against ranged attacks.

Force of Personality Hexblade Utility 2
You are to be reckoned with.
Encounter ✦ Arcane
Move Action Personal
Effect: You gain a +3 bonus to your next Diplomacy, Intimidate or Streetwise check.

Pride Hexblade Utility 2
A Hexblade never fails.
Encounter ✦ Arcane
Trigger: You fail an Arcana, Intimidate or Streetwise check.
Immediate Interrupt
Effect: The roll is disregarded as if it was never made. You suffer a -2 penalty to skill checks of that skill for the rest of the encounter.

Shared Fate Hexblade Utility 2
You extend your curse and bound your lifeforce to that of a foe.
Daily ✦ Arcane
Standard Action Close burst 10
Target: The target of your Hexblade's Curse in burst
Effect: Until the end of the encounter, both you and the target are surrounded by a faint red light. Whenever the target attacks you, before it makes an attack roll, you may choose to let the attack hit you automatically. If you do so, and the attack deals damage to you, the target takes half of that damage as well.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-06-12, 11:36 AM
Wow, nice! :smallbiggrin:
Also: shadow powers are called hexes, arcane powers are called spells.

Ceaon
2010-06-12, 11:39 AM
Wow, nice! :smallbiggrin:
Also: shadow powers are called hexes, arcane powers are called spells.

Yeah, I know. But it'd seem odd to call the powers of a hexblade 'spells' when 'hexes' seems so much more appropriate. If more people feel I should change this though, I will.

Does it seem balanced? And does it add anything to the game?

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-06-12, 11:44 AM
Needs more surges to be a melee striker, and maybe more hp (but still less than a defender).

Ceaon
2010-06-12, 11:52 AM
You think it's underpowered? Are you sure? It has the same HP/HS as a ranger and an optional damage reduction ability; I was thinking the HP and HS was perfectly good. Especially since it's an class for the arcane source, which is known for it's frailty.
But thanks for your opinion! I hope more people will critique it because I don't think I should change anything based on what's been said by one person :smalltongue:

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-06-12, 11:54 AM
Tone down your powers, the sting WAY to much!

Ceaon
2010-06-12, 12:00 PM
Could you be a little more specific?

CarpeGuitarrem
2010-06-12, 12:14 PM
Yeah, I know. But it'd seem odd to call the powers of a hexblade 'spells' when 'hexes' seems so much more appropriate. If more people feel I should change this though, I will.

Does it seem balanced? And does it add anything to the game?
You could always just make it a Shadow class. (i.e. hexblades draw power from the Shadowfell)

DiscipleofBob
2010-06-12, 06:10 PM
Looks really good.

Main Stat Block looks good, Class Features look good...

I see the shtick is penalizing one target against the Hexblade. Makes sense, and is definitely a unique Striker mechanic.

Minor Nitpick: I'm pretty sure you mean for the player to choose between Arcane Augmentation and Draconic Augmentation. You just need to make it clear that the player has to do so.

Let's take a look at the powers...

Dance of the Damned: Unique, and on any other role would be overpowered, but given that this is a Striker without an extra damage mechanic it works.

Dirty Trick: Just make it Cha vs. Fort, and 1d6 + Charisma modifier + combat advantage. Also include either the weapon or implement keyword, whichever you want. You'll still get the same flavor and effect, better damage, and it will read easier for the average player. Once again, on any other class this would be overpowered, but in this case it works because you don't have an extra damage mechanic.

Phantom Threat: 1d12 is a bit much, even for this class. Make it just 1d10 or 1d6 plus some other special effect like making it marked.

Soul Taint: You never want to use (save ends) on an At-Will, even if you leave out other damage. I'm not certain of a good alternative for the flavor of this power. Maybe make it just Charisma modifier necrotic damage and an additional 1d6 + Charisma modifier necrotic damage if the target makes an attack against you on its next turn, or something similar.

Deathdarken
2010-06-12, 08:22 PM
this seems really cool, so are you planing on doing encounter powers and daily powers for this class? I'm so glad to find other 4.0 players here, I did start a thread for 4.0 homebrew stuff so we could all band together and criticize each others work. I'd be happy to give you the link if you want I want 4.0 players to band together I fear we are few and far in between. I over all like the class. I'm no expert in deciding what is overpowered and what is not, but I do like the powers and want to see more.

Ceaon
2010-06-13, 02:36 AM
Looks really good.

Main Stat Block looks good, Class Features look good...

I see the shtick is penalizing one target against the Hexblade. Makes sense, and is definitely a unique Striker mechanic.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Minor Nitpick: I'm pretty sure you mean for the player to choose between Arcane Augmentation and Draconic Augmentation. You just need to make it clear that the player has to do so.

Good point. I'll edit the main post.

Let's take a look at the powers...

Dance of the Damned: Unique, and on any other role would be overpowered, but given that this is a Striker without an extra damage mechanic it works.
I'm thinking of changing it to secondary target: 'one enemy you hit in burst'. Would that work?

Dirty Trick: Just make it Cha vs. Fort, and 1d6 + Charisma modifier + combat advantage. Also include either the weapon or implement keyword, whichever you want. You'll still get the same flavor and effect, better damage, and it will read easier for the average player. Once again, on any other class this would be overpowered, but in this case it works because you don't have an extra damage mechanic.
Okay, one of the builds DOES. Does that mean the +damage build is overpowered or..?

Phantom Threat: 1d12 is a bit much, even for this class. Make it just 1d10 or 1d6 plus some other special effect like making it marked.

Soul Taint: You never want to use (save ends) on an At-Will, even if you leave out other damage. I'm not certain of a good alternative for the flavor of this power. Maybe make it just Charisma modifier necrotic damage and an additional 1d6 + Charisma modifier necrotic damage if the target makes an attack against you on its next turn, or something similar.

Yes, good point. Let's see how it looks now.

this seems really cool, so are you planing on doing encounter powers and daily powers for this class? I'm so glad to find other 4.0 players here, I did start a thread for 4.0 homebrew stuff so we could all band together and criticize each others work. I'd be happy to give you the link if you want I want 4.0 players to band together I fear we are few and far in between. I over all like the class. I'm no expert in deciding what is overpowered and what is not, but I do like the powers and want to see more.

I'll make a post in your topic then, linking to this class. And yes, I'm hoping to create powers up to level 30 and 4 paragon paths, and probably some class feats as well.

Ceaon
2010-06-14, 01:33 AM
I would really like someone to tell me how balanced the Dark Augmentation class feature is. Is there anyone willing to take a look?
Also, I'll be adding some encounter powers and dailies today.

DiscipleofBob
2010-06-14, 02:12 AM
Okay, one of the builds DOES. Does that mean the +damage build is overpowered or..?

Yes, one of the builds adds extra damage, but it doesn't really compare to a Sneak Attack or a Hunter's Quarry.

The recent edits are a lot better, now we just need to look at Encounters and Dailies. Just remember that the level 1 Encounters and Dailies are the most important, as they set the tone for the character's entire career.

I'd personally look at some of the Avenger powers for inspiration (minus their Oath mechanic of course) just because it shares the idea of going after one specific target with this class.

Ceaon
2010-06-15, 02:32 AM
I added some level 1 encounter and daily powers.
Should I convert the class to the shadow power source?

Ceaon
2010-06-16, 06:07 AM
And some level 2 utilities as well.
It was much easier making a new class for 3.5 :smallamused:

Holocron Coder
2010-06-16, 06:27 AM
I think you messed up on Entropic Shield - it's a shield that the fluff describes as defending against ranged attacks, but the crunch is a bonus to your own ranged attacks :smallsmile:

Ceaon
2010-06-16, 07:27 AM
I think you messed up on Entropic Shield - it's a shield that the fluff describes as defending against ranged attacks, but the crunch is a bonus to your own ranged attacks :smallsmile:

Ah. Right. Thank you. :smallredface: Changed now.

DiscipleofBob
2010-06-16, 08:51 AM
Don't bother changing the power source to Shadow. It messes up more than you think. Since the Shadow power source has only been published once by Wizards and in a magazine, there's very little support for it, so instead of a multitude of Arcane feats and equipment to choose from, you'd be stuck with practically nothing to start off. Not to mention that other than being "evil," there really isn't much justification for the Hexblade's powers to be derived from the Shadowfell.

EDIT: Looking at the Powers now.

Okay, first two Encounters look good, but Protect the Weak should be completely replaced. Reason? It's a ridiculously awesome power for a Controller AND a Leader, but not a Striker. All enemies in Close Burst 2 plus an automatic ability modifier buff to all of your allies' AC? Dailies at this level for other classes aren't that good.

Hex of Darkfire is a lot more Controller-esque than Striker-esque. Consider removing the zone or only targeting one person, but it's not absolutely necessary to change this one.

Hex of Pain: Nice, but ditch the Effect. An automatic (save ends) effect before the attack is pretty broken, and the power doesn't need it.

All the other powers look good. My advice for future powers is to lean away from blasts and bursts, as being a Striker the class should really be focusing on one, maybe two targets at a time.

Ceaon
2010-06-16, 10:01 AM
Thanks for your continued critique, I really appreciate it!
I made some changes here and there.

Since one of the Hexblade's secondary roles is controller, I feel a daily with a burst or blast could work, especially since the primary target is only one creature in said burst.
I feel stupid now that I haven't reserved any posts. Ah well, I guess I'll be able to link to another post soon enough...

DiscipleofBob
2010-06-16, 01:00 PM
Thanks for your continued critique, I really appreciate it!
I made some changes here and there.

Since one of the Hexblade's secondary roles is controller, I feel a daily with a burst or blast could work, especially since the primary target is only one creature in said burst.
I feel stupid now that I haven't reserved any posts. Ah well, I guess I'll be able to link to another post soon enough...

Agreed in that a few dailies that are bursts or blasts would not be out-of-place.

n00b killa
2010-07-30, 12:44 PM
Cool and balanced, but a bit to "defenderish" for a striker.

I think I would be both awesome and flavourful to change the power source to shadow.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-07-30, 01:19 PM
WotC is going to release a 4E Hexblade in Heroes of Shadow and yes, it will have the shadow power source. So maybe you should make this one arcane instead so you can differentiate between them.

Zaydos
2010-07-30, 02:18 PM
I like. I will say that Soul Taint seems a bit too defender-ish and combined with the Curse ability (rather like making the enemy be marked by someone else) might be a little too strong. I'd probably change it to where it damages them if they do attack you instead of if they don't.

Other than that it looks good, and like I said I like it. I never was a big fan of hexblades in 3.X (I prefered duskblades) partially because of their alignment restriction and lack of spells at 1st level, but I really like how you made the basic chassis. I'm not the best at balancing 4e, and won't really comment on the dailies and encounters at the moment, but the class looks good and I'd like to see more.