PDA

View Full Version : The Secret of Trottelburg IC

Pages : [1] 2

sciencepanda
2010-06-12, 01:23 PM
Recruitment Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155486)
OOC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8682654#post8682654)

The PC's
{table=head]Character|Player|Class|Race

Telim Anar (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=214282)|
Lin Bayaseda|
Cleric|
Human

Irethírra Wier (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=214359)|
CWater|
Fighter/Wizard|
Snow Elf

Randolf Grennal (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=214622)|
MarvinMartian|
Rogue|
Strongheart Halfling

Meeka Ori (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=155392)|
Parlity|
Totemist|
Mongrelfolk

Crugretor Loreweaver (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=226425)|
Doombringer|
Cleric|
Moon Elf[/table]

And so we begin
The Secret of Trottelburg

The nation of Bohrenvolk is a small peninsula lying at the northwest segment of the Great Continent. Covered in dense temperate forests, and guarded by a great mountain range to the east and south, it is scarcely populated and difficult to navigate. However, it also lies at a unique intersection of the world's ley-lines (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ley_line), causing heavy magical radiation and dimensional distortion. This unusual effect has spawned numerous rumors about the contents of the nation, be they valuable treasure, dangerous monsters to fight or great magical powers.

You, for your own reasons, have decided to journey into Bohrenvolk. It is a long journey through the woods, and the spring air is crisp but cold. However, just as your rations begin to run low, you are fortunate to discover a small town in a clearing. It is surrounded by a somewhat shabby red brick fence, and the wooden sign at the entrance lists the town name as Trottelburg.

At the porch of a small thatched house by the front gate is a large portly man with a thick black beard, wearing a brown wool coat and an ushanka (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ushanka). Upon realizing that you are there, he stares awkwardly for a few moments, and then grins wildly, standing up to greet you.

"Greetings, my friends! I am Boris, the Burgomeister of this small town. You must forgive my surprise, but it is so rare that we receive guests in Trottelburg. But please, come in. It would be my honor to show you hospitality."

CWater
2010-06-12, 05:30 PM
A tall elf with long white hair stops and looks at the Burgomeister. She is wearing worn leather armour and practical clothes suitable for traveling. Her dark blue cloak has a little mud on itself. In her right hand she carries a long spearlike weapon that has apparently been used as a walking stick. The look on her face is cold and emotionless, but she nods a polite greeting.

"Greetings and thank you, herr Burgomeister. But I must inquire, is there not an inn or tavern in this town? Or do you, as you mentioned, truly have so few guests that you don't consider that to be necessary?"

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-13, 12:21 AM
A large muscular man, his head clean shaven and a large axe slung on his shoulder, approached the gate at about the same time as the Elf, albeit by a different path. There was a serious and determined look in his grey eyes as he bowed in respect to the burgomaster, then nodded politely at the other traveler.

Greetings herr Boris, I am Telim Anar, a traveling priest. Why is it that you have no visitors? Seems to be a very hospitable place.

Parlity
2010-06-13, 01:01 AM
Meeka Ori

A person wearing a wolf's head mask and holding a longspear resting on her right shoulder walks to the gate. As she gets closer, you can notice an strong odor. She is wearing leather armor and bulky fur gloves. She walks very close to Telim.

"Hello Telim. It is nice to meet a priest. My name is Meeka Ori," she says. Saliva dribbles out of her mouth as she speaks. Large, crooked yellow teeth appear to get in the way of her speech. She waves at the Burgomeister and the tall elf with one furred hand.

MarvinMartian
2010-06-14, 01:03 AM
Randolf Grennal

From out of the looming shadows of the tall trees around Trottelburg comes the sound of someone whistling a fairly popular bardic ditty followed shortly by a small halfling. The glint of something metallic clues you in on the fact that the halfling seems to be juggling a sharp looking dagger in one hand - and nonchalantly at that! As the halfling approaches the gate and the small crowd of people there he briefly stops as if startled. Quickly he recovers and approaches the group with a big grin on his face.

"I am not sure how you knew of my arrival, but it is truely a sight for sore eyes that your burg sends out a welcoming committee for me! But I must confess I am weary from my journey and wish to rest before beginning any sort of performance."

Turning to the burgomaster, "Kind sir, if you could direct me to my dressing room that would be fantastic..."

sciencepanda
2010-06-14, 11:11 AM
Seemingly unfazed by this spectacle, Boris picks up a large mug filled with some foul-smelling brew and takes a massive gulp. He nonchalantly hands Meeka a handkerchief, while turning to address the rest of the adventurers.

"Ah! You see, the problem lies not in the fact that we are not a prosperous town, for as a matter of fact, we quite are. Rather, it's a sad but simple fact that we are in the dead center of the Hexenwold Forest, which makes it difficult to find our location."

Realizing that he is probably not doing the best job to promote tourism, he changes tactics.

"Still, our little town has a thriving trade in the harvesting of river hogs, and we have near constant trade with nearby villages."

In spite of this, there appears to be no sign of visitors other than yourself. Boris is about to continue, but is interrupted by a voice from the crowd. Emerging from it is a small female halfling. She is young-middled aged, with light brown hair in a hastily tied ponytail, and a round, peach-shaped face. Her left arm is in a splint.

She walks over to the group, and shakes everyone's hand. Then, seemingly loosing track of who's hand she has shaken already, she goes back and does it again.

"Marissa's the name. Marissa Delbrook. How d'ya do? I'm the owner of this here town's own little inn. It's a little cozy, but I think it will do."

Boris seems rather offput by Marissa's interuption, but before he can comment, she begins to lead the group off down a brick road to the left. As you walk, you see a number of the town's buildings; a schoolhouse, a number of shops, a grocery. Most are unnocupied, do to Randolf's attention grabbing entrance. However, the booth near a tailor shop seems be occupied. On closer inspection, the tailor is a small bald man. He is quite pail, and very thin. He holds his head down. Marissa approaches him.

"Hey Ignatius, you doing ok?"

Ignatius lets out a groan of acknowledgment.

"Well, you try and take care, alright?"

As they pass him, Marissa continues.

"Poor dear. He's been sick all week. Maybe I will bake him a cake or something. I'm afraid that it's been a rough time for most of us here, what with the river drying up, and that illness going around. That new burgomeister seems to be trying to help, but he's just so dang cheerful all the time, it weirds me out."

They approach the inn. It is another old wooden building, but seems to be in impeccably good condition, with every single plank of wood and nail in place, and the grass neatly cut.

"Well, this is the ole place. It's not much, but try and make yourselves at home. Since you just got here, I'm afraid I won't have time to prepare dinner for you, but I'll try and have a nice breakfast ready in the morning. Anyway, if there is anything you need to ask, I'm happy to help."

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-14, 11:26 AM
Telim Anar

Uhm, hello Meeka, pleasure to meet you.

Telim takes a step back. Not to be outdone, his tense smile also exposes some crooked teeth, although he doesn't smell as bad as Meeka.

Along the way to the inn, he seems amused by the juggling halfling's antics, but pays more attention to their jolly halfling guide.

What kind of disease is this? Can you please tell us more about it? Prevention is half the cure, as they say.

sciencepanda
2010-06-14, 11:40 AM
Marissa responds sympathetically.

"I'd tell you more if I could, but I'm no doctor or anything. It's just that a lot of the people have been falling ill; getting all pale and sickly like Ignatius, you saw earlier. Just a few weeks back, our old Burgomeister passed away. That's why Boris replaced him. I'm not too familar with Boris, he moved to town just about a year ago. I'm told he has a high list of credentials with Burgomeistery, but like I said, I don't know him that well."

"As to the sickness, I guess I've just been lucky as to avoiding it. Idunno, maybe the fact that I broke my arm's made me need to sit in and rest more, so I haven't caught it."

She shrugs, and opens the door to the inn. It is a small wooden cottage, with a patterned rug, and a staircase leading up to a small row of doors. Just like the outside, the inside of the inn is absolutely neat and spotless.

CWater
2010-06-14, 11:58 AM
"Your inn looks very pleasant", the elf says "May I ask what are your prices? I'd like to know in advance how much I will be expected to pay. And do you happen to know if there is any work for a warrior in this town? And I am sorry, I seem to have forgotten to introduce myself earlier, my name is Irethírra Wier."

Parlity
2010-06-14, 10:27 PM
Meeka Ori

She takes the burgomeister's handkerchief and sniffs it over carefully. "Thank you!" She happily ties the handkerchief around the shaft of her longspear.

"Pleased to meet you," Meeka replies to Irethirra.

When she gets a chance, Meeka asks Marissa, "It sounds like your town is going through some hard times. Why has the river dried up?"

MarvinMartian
2010-06-15, 10:01 AM
Randolf Grennal

Apparently having drawn a crowd with his simple wrist exercises, Randolf is more than flattered to have drawn a small gathering. Spontaneously he decides to show the villagers a few of his more "showy" moves.

Randolf withdraws two more daggers from his bandoleer and attempts to juggle 4 daggers simultaneously.

Probably a sleight of hand skill check -
[roll0]

When Marissa introduces herself, Randolf responds "Nice to meet you miss, my name is Randolf, Randolf Grennal."

Followed by a quick and friendly wink.

As the other visitors move towards the inn, Randolf follows continuing to juggle his daggers.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-15, 01:59 PM
Looking at the halfling juggle the knives, Telim shakes his head. Seems like his healing services will soon be needed. But for now, he has a different task to attend to. Dropping the heavier part of his gear in the tavern, he goes back to the ill man he saw before.

Hello, good man. Ignatius, is it? My name is Telim Anar, and I have some knowledge in the healing arts. Would you object if I examined you? It might help you feel better.

Assuming the man doesn't object, Telim will examine him carefully and try to identify the disease, be it natural or magical.

Heal check [roll0]
Knowledge(Religion) check [roll1]
Spellcraft check [roll2]

If the examination doesn't produce any results, Telim will cast Cure Minor Wounds on the man and observe the response. If at any time during the proceedings the man objects to any of this, Telim doesn't insist.

sciencepanda
2010-06-15, 05:48 PM
Marissa blushes lightly at Raldolf's actions, but then proceeds to stair at her feet and say nothing else of it.

She is about to hand the group their room keys, but at Telim's insistence to go help the sickly tailor, she let's him go. She continues to address the rest of the group.

"Well Ireth..Ithirri.."She stumbles over Irethírra's name, but continues, "...Irethírra, it's very kind to meet you. That's certainly a pretty name. Where are you from?"

ooc
CWater, you're welcome to think of a name for your character's homeland. I tend to get placenames by running related words through a translator, but whatever suits you, suits you.

"Anyway, we here at Trottelburg would like to make a good impression on travelers, so the first night here is on the house. If you plan to stay further, I'm sure we can work something out."

She turns to face Meeka. She seems to be a little off put by Meeka's shabby appearance, but tries her best to be polite.

"It is hard, y'know? We've had to ration the water from our wells, and we can't fish for any more river-ham, so our trade with the neighboring villages has gone all wonky. But yeah, starting a few months ago, the river started to just gradually go dry. We sent a few men up to go investigate, but they didn't come back. Ever since then, they's been all sorts of terrible rumors as to the cause, from giant monsters, to that witch who supposedly lives to the east. But since then, we've all just been too scared to go look.

---

Telim arrives at hastily at the tailor's shop. He acts to greet the tailor, but the man who responds is not Ignatius. Instead, a portly man with a thick black beard, wearing an ushanka and drinking from a large mug is there. He speaks.

"Greetings my friend! I am Boris, the tailor. How can I help you today?"

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-15, 05:51 PM
I could have sworn you were a burgomaster not too long ago. Never mind. Have you seen the sick man, Ignatius?

sciencepanda
2010-06-15, 05:54 PM
Boris chuckles.

"Ah, you mean Boris the Burgomeister. We share the same name, but it is simple coincidence."

He seems to think hard.

"Ignatius? I'm afraid the name does not ring a bell. I have worked in this shop all my life, and have never met anyone near here with that name."

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-15, 06:04 PM
Telim examines the tailor carefully. Does he seem to be the same man as Boris the Burgomeister, or do they merely have similar visual attributes (portly, ushanka, etc), but are different people?

Spot check [roll0]
Sense Motive [roll1]

Regardless of the results, he figures continuing the conversation is pointless at this time.

Ah, my mistake then. I'll be off.

Telim returns to the tavern to share this interesting encounter with his newly-found friends.

sciencepanda
2010-06-15, 06:10 PM
If there is any visual difference between the Burgomeister and this new tailor, Telim cannot tell. They both have the same square face, curly black beard, and portly belly. However, Boris the tailor does not seem to indicate that this is the case.

Boris waves brightly as Telim makes his leave.

"Have a good day, my friend! If there is anything I can help you with, please let me know."

CWater
2010-06-15, 08:36 PM
When Marissa asks about her home, Irethírra's cool mask shakes a little and a sign off sadness runs across her face. The expression, however, disappears as quickly as it came.
"I...My people lives on mountains far away from here. They established a small kingdom close to the mountaintops many centuries ago, though I know not if Thúrderrmuil still stands today, since I have not been there in...many years now."

Irethírra stares at the distance for a moment and her lips move slightly, but no sound can be heard.

Then she seems to remember where she is and her faces returns to that of a statue. She continues, perhaps in a little colder tone:
"I would be glad to help you, if I possibly can, with any troubles your village has. We can speak more of it tomorrow. Now if you excuse me, I am tired of travelling and would like to retire to my room."

Due to her many years of travelling, Irethírra has no noticeable accent, except that her "r"'s that are a leetle stronger.

sciencepanda
2010-06-15, 08:52 PM
Marissa gives a sympathetic smile.

"Well Irethírra, you have pleasant dreams, ok? I think I'l be heading off to bed soon myself."

She hands Irethírra her room key and points her in the right direction, then turns to face Meeka.

"Well...er...Miss, I don't believe I got your name. Would you be nodding off as well, or world you care to stay up and talk a bit still?"

And to Randolf:

"And you sir, it's rather rare that we get other halflings in these parts. I'd certainly like to hear your tale."

---

Irethírra's room is small but cozy. It contains a large bed with a heavy knitted quilt, a throwrug with the same pattern as the quilt, and a small dresser for story possessions. A good place for a night's rest.

Or it would be, if not for the disconcerting item lying in the center of the floor. A note, with words more etched than written, stating;

LEAVE WHILE YOU CAN

CWater
2010-06-15, 09:28 PM
Irethírra walks into the room locking the door behind her and picks up the note. She silently stares it for a moment.
Is this supposed to be a warning or a threat? She wonders. Or both? Who could have placed it so quickly? I have just arrived. Is it even meant for me? Then again, that other halfling caused such a commotion that probably the whole town nows by know that a bunch of strangers have arrived.

Still deep in her thoughts, Irethírra puts down her backpack, takes off her cloak and sits on the bed holding the note in her hand.

And undoubtedly they are going to assume that we belong to the same group, even if I have nothing to do with them. Well, I won't run away so easily, if this note now was indeed meant for me. I might have lost my honour, but I've still got my pride.

(Unless anyone disturbes her, Irethírra takes off her armour and, after a while, goes to sleep.)

sciencepanda
2010-06-15, 10:02 PM
Everybody except CWater:
There is an identical note in all of your rooms.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-15, 10:45 PM
Upon returning to his room in the inn and seeing the note, Telim realizes the people in this town ... aren't right. He'd rather trust the ones who came from the outside. He seeks out the rooms of the other guests, at least those who are awake and willing to listen, tells his story, and asks what they think about it.

The sick man was gone. And the tailor, he looked just like the Burgomast...meister, like two drops of water. He was the Burgomeister. Same name, same face, same everything. And yet he insisted he's not. Looks like this town has gone mad. What do you make of it?

If it seems everyone's gone to sleep by now, he instead hits the sack as well, weapon close at hand.

MarvinMartian
2010-06-16, 05:22 AM
Randolf, slowly following behind the other visitors to this quaint burg, stops just shy of the entrance to the inn. With a final flourish for the small crowd of locals he sheathes his twirling daggers one-by-one, and with a small smile of pleasure at their approval he sweeps a bow and says -

Gentle folk of Trottelburg, I fear the long journey has left me weary and clumsy in my performance this evening and must therefore bid you all goodnight. Perhaps on the morrow I can be persuaded to show you more...

Turning he enters the inn.

Seeing that some of the others are retiring for the night and that the innkeep is a fellow halfling of the female persuasion, Randolf decides to stay awake a while longer and chat with Marissa.

The chat with Marissa

Diplomacy: 1d20+1
Knowledge(Local): 1d20+1

Randolf is most interested in the rumors circulating about the cause of the well drying up. Do other villages in the area, namely those they traded with, happen to be suffering from similar set backs? Is this a localized phenomenon? Where were the men headed that disappeared? Upstream or towards the east were the witch lives?

When Telim returns, Randolf will ask what the tall priest discovered when he examined the sickly man.

Parlity
2010-06-16, 07:05 AM
Meeka Ori

Meeka nods enthusiastically at Marissa. Trying to keep the saliva in check, she sputters,

My name's Meeka. Your inn is nice.

She listens to Randolf while he chats, then retires to her room.

When Telim tells her about the sick man and the burgomeister, she says,

"There is something wrong here. Would you like to go back and look for Ignatius tonight?"

CWater
2010-06-16, 07:38 AM
Irethírra is just about to fall asleep start trancing when Telim knocks on her door. Now what? She thinks, being a little irritated. However, she gets up and walks to the door. "What?" She asks without opening it.

Assuming that Telim now tells his story and that she can also hear Meeka's response, Irethírra says:

"That is indeed worrying. I wonder what the innkeeper would say if you told her that, she seemed sane enough. But if you are going to look for this Ignatious, I could also come along. It is not like I could rest peacefully anymore, even though I am tired."

If the others agree, she adds: "Wait a moment, I will fetch my gear."

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-16, 08:38 AM
Telim

I'm not against going to look for Ignatius, but only if you have a better idea than knocking on doors randomly.

sciencepanda
2010-06-16, 11:04 AM
Marissa explains to Randolf and Meeka,

"When I say 'neighboring' villages, it's really just a matter of speaking. They're all around a month's trip away on foot, and with the river-hogs gone, we simply don't have the expenses to pack for something like that. As for the men, they went upstream to investigate the source of the river, of course. The witch is just a silly legend. I don't believe in any of that nonsense, myself."

Marissa yawn's deeply, and announces that she will be turning in for the night. She exits to her room.

---

Telim arrives back at the inn and explains what he had found at the tailor's shop. Just as the others are expressing their concern and confusion at this bizarre turn of events, a small voice from the rafters sighs and exclaims;

"Well, I asked you to leave. But if you insist on staying, I suppose I can help."

Parlity
2010-06-16, 12:37 PM
Meeka Ori

How about we go to the tailor's shop and look around?

Spot [roll0] Listen [roll1]

When the voice speaks from the rafters, Meeka looks up and around, grabbing her club.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-16, 12:55 PM
Telim looks around and up for the source of the voice. Help with what? Show yourself!

Spot [roll0]

CWater
2010-06-16, 03:11 PM
Irethírra comes out of her room, sees that the others are glancing upwards and tries to see what they are looking for. "What is it?"

Spot [roll0]

sciencepanda
2010-06-16, 04:23 PM
Irethírra catches a glimpse of a shadow moving across the ceiling, however she is unable to make out specifically what it is, and it quickly shifts out of site. The voice continues.

"Please. I am sorry for scaring you, but I was concerned that if you got further involved you would just get hurt. But by now, I don't think I have any other options. You may be the only ones left who can help this town."

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-16, 04:26 PM
Telim

If that is the case, any help you can provide will be appreciated. What is going on here?

CWater
2010-06-16, 05:08 PM
Irethírra

"Sure it will, but I would very much like to know who is providing this help. Why are you hiding from us?"

Parlity
2010-06-16, 10:42 PM
Meeka

"How can we help?" she asks.

Listen [roll0]

MarvinMartian
2010-06-17, 01:37 AM
Randolf Grennal

Turning around in his chair, Randolf attempts to localize the source of the voice. Gripping his daggers tightly, he slowly gets to his feet.

Spot and listen

Spot: 1d20-2
Listen: 1d20+0

Randolf addresses the voice,

If you wish to gain our trust, you should cease speaking from the shadows and come into the light!

Diplomacy
1d20+1

sciencepanda
2010-06-17, 09:14 AM
The voice sighs again.

"It is not normally within my nature to reveal myself to humanfolk, but in these circumstances I suppose I have no better option."

Emerging from the shadows right behind the group is a small figure, less than two feet tall. It is clad in leather rags, has a long, beaked nose and pointed ears, and is covered in blue-grey fur.

"I am the domovoi of this household. We have no true names, so you may simply call me 'Domovoi,' or whatever else suits your fancy. I am deeply, deeply sorry, for being so secretive to you, but these are dark times right now, and frankly, I am scared."

The domovoi let's out a brief sniffle, but continues.

"My mobility outside of this house is limited, but I will tell you what I know. Those...things, that call themselves Boris, they are not human, or any of your similar kind. Creatures of the living, they radiate a faint aura of positive energy that we fey can detect. Even undead, they have a similar aura of negative energy. But these creatures, whatever they are, they radiate nothing. They are not beings of mind, nor spirit."

These beings, they have slowly taken over this town, replacing the human's, and worse, corrupting the sanctity of their homes. At one time, every building in this town contained a domovoi guardian. Now only myself and one other remain."

At this point, the domovoi breaks out into a full sob, and sits on the floor weeping.

"I...I do not know what to do. I am the strongest domovoi in this town, but I do not know how much longer I can hold them off. I wish there was more I could do, but due to my nature, I am confined within this house."

He takes a deep breath, calming down a little, but still a bit wet around the eyes.

"There are two who may be of help. The first is the man who lives in the home of the other remaining domovoi. That house's domovoi says that he is an odd sort, but wise, so perhaps he may know a way to help. As for the other...no. I apologize. She is far, far too dangerous, and I should not have suggested her. Please forgive me."

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-17, 09:21 AM
It's very brave of you to come out like that, domovoi. Do you know how many of those that call themselves Boris are there? And where do they come from? Are the sick people transforming into Boris-es, is that the nature of the disease?

sciencepanda
2010-06-17, 09:39 AM
"That foul smelling brew that you often see the abominations drink? It is not one of your human liquors, but rather a poison. I have seen it work with my own eyes. First it robs a man of his will. And then, after repeated exposure, their own life force curls around on itself, and he becomes one of them. In the seven centuries that I have lived in this town, I have never before witnessed any magic that works this way."

He goes on.

"With the river dried up, people are more easily thirsty and willing to drink the venom. Whether the river is the abomination's doing or not, I do not know. But it is certainly very convenient for them. At this point, over half the town has been fully transformed, and more still are under the early effects of the poison."

Parlity
2010-06-17, 09:46 AM
Meeka

Where do they make their foul-smelling brew?

sciencepanda
2010-06-17, 09:56 AM
"That much I do not know. The monsters always seem to have some on hand, and by now, the whole town reeks of the stuff."

Parlity
2010-06-17, 10:26 AM
Meeka

Hmph. Where are the two people who might be able to help? ... What can we do to help you protect your house and Marissa?

CWater
2010-06-17, 12:54 PM
Irethírra listens patiently to the domovoi's speech and when he has finished, bows her head with respect. "I apologise for being so rude, honoured house spirit. I know your kind does not usually show yourselves to people. I will do what I can to protect your town, you have my word.

You say the monsters continually drink this venom, what do you think would happen if it would be made so that they no longer receive more? Do you think the infected people would have a chance of recovery, or are they lost forever?"

Parlity
2010-06-17, 03:48 PM
Meeka

Meeka listens to Irethirra's speech and looks at her in awe. Talking to herself, she mumbles, "Listen patiently, then bow and say nice things."

MarvinMartian
2010-06-18, 03:36 AM
Randolf Grennal

Very interesting development, this could be exactly the kind of adventure I've been looking for...

Meanwhile Randolf listens patiently to the conversation waiting for a lull to pose his own questions. Once such a lull occurs,

Domovoi, thank you for sharing your concerns with us, but I fear we should know as much as possible if we are to avoid the same fate of the men that went missing. Please could you share who the second woman is and how she could help? We will be very careful in our dealings with her if it comes to that.

Also I am curious as to how you communicate with the other Domovoi in the village. Can you communicate with Domovoi further away? Say for instance the "neighboring" villages? I would be most curious to know if the phenomenon of the Boris "infection" is restricted to this village only, or a much larger threat.

sciencepanda
2010-06-18, 09:01 AM
"We Domovoi can hear each others thoughts and feelings, however this is limited by distance. I cannot directly communicate with the Domovoi of neighboring towns, but as far as I can tell, I do not sense anything wrong with them. The other Domovoi I can talk to more directly, but he's...a bit of an eccentric, no wonder living in that sort of house, so I only communicate when required."

"I am not knowledgeable as to the nature of the abominations' venom, and I do not know if they require constantly it to maintain their form. The occupant of the home of the other remaining domovoi however, from my understanding, he is a man knowledgeable in the ways of scientific thought. I have never met him myself, but the other Domovoi has spoken highly of him, so perhaps he can be of help. He is located on the northwest outskirts of town, against the wall. It is an...unusual building. I doubt it would be difficult to miss."

As to the other I had mentioned, she is the witch Baba Yaga. From my understanding, she is easily the most powerful sorceress on the continent, she would likely have some understanding of the abominations origins. She is fickle, and very, very dangerous however, and I would strongly advise to avoid her if you can. However, if you absolutely must, I understand that if you are absolutely, absolutely polite to her at all times, and perhaps bribe her with food, she may help you."

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-18, 10:17 AM
I have heard some tales of Baba Yaga, and I believe we should stay away from her. Maybe as a last resort .... possibly not even then. I suggest we start by seeking out this unusual building to the northwest, and as soon as possible. Such evil cannot go unchecked.

MarvinMartian
2010-06-18, 10:33 AM
I concur with your assessment Telim, we should indeed speak with the individual in this strange building. Sooner rather than later!

As to this Baba Yaga sorceress you speak of, I am unfamiliar with her reputation, but heed your warning Domovoi. If there is no other alternative we can always seek her out and attempt to gain her favor.

Parlity
2010-06-18, 12:12 PM
Meeka

She nods in agreement with Telim and Randolf. "It's better to look around while the creatures are sleeping, if they sleep."

Edging closer to Telim and Randolf, she mutters, "Should we ask this domovoi to contact to other one and introduce us?"

CWater
2010-06-18, 12:39 PM
"I agree with you, we should go as soon as possible. Do you think the man who lives in the house of the another remaining domovoi, would still see us this late?"

If the group is leaving, Irethírra leaves her backpack in her room, so she'll be on Light load.

sciencepanda
2010-06-18, 01:35 PM
"I shall inform the domovoi of the other house that you will be arriving, and that you are not intruders. You humans seem to prefer sleeping at night, so I do not know of the master of the house will be ready to see you or not, but at this point anything is worth a try."

The domovoi opens the front door and gestures in the direction of a street.

"You will find the house if you follow this street until you reach the town wall, then turn left from there. Take care not to call attention to yourself. I do not think that the abominations are mobile at night, but it is best not to make yourself appear suspicious."

"Good luck, and thank you." says the domovoi with a deep sigh.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-18, 01:44 PM
Thank you, kind domovoi, for your help. We shall not disappoint you.

Telim slings his axe on his shoulder in a normal and totally non-menacing fashion - we don't want to spook anyone, do we - and looks at the door.

Ready when you are, lady and gentlemen.

CWater
2010-06-18, 02:11 PM
Irethírra bows slightly at the domovoi and thanks him for his help, then she walks out to the street.

Parlity
2010-06-18, 08:10 PM
"Thank you, domovoi." Meeka bows to the domovoi.

"Ready," she says to Telim.

She hooks her club in her belt, picks up her backpack and longspear and walks outside.

How dark is it outside? Is the moon out? Meeka has low-light vision.

sciencepanda
2010-06-18, 08:58 PM
The night is dark and cold. The frigid air occasionally wisps against the back of your necks, but aside from this there is no sign of movement or life. The only light source is a few small lamps, but this is not enough to keep the darkness at bay. With their low-light vision, Meeka and Irethírra have a slight awareness of where they are, but Randolf and Telim can only make out the barest of silhouettes.

You set out along the icy brick road, your footsteps the only sound against the blackness.

Parlity
2010-06-19, 02:31 AM
Meeka leans her longspear against her right shoulder and talks quietly as she rummages in her backpack.

It's dark out here. I'm getting out a sunrod out in case we need light. Telim, Randolf, will you take the center position? I call the front. If we walk slowly, I can keep us on the street.

She gets out a sunrod and tries to give it to either Telim or Randolf. If neither one takes it, she puts it in her belt for easy access. Holding her longspear ready while walking.

Taking 10 on Survival check to stay on the street, Survival 12.

MarvinMartian
2010-06-19, 03:24 AM
Randolf silently nods at Meeka taking hold of her sunrod. Randolf grips a dagger solidly in his other hand ready to throw it should anything hostile approach.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-19, 08:37 AM
Telim nods and takes the center position, ready for anything that may come.

I hope those monsters don't wander the streets at night.

CWater
2010-06-19, 01:56 PM
Irethírra walks last, holding her ritiik tightly in her hand. She keeps glancing around, hoping that she'll notice any other people, or monster, who might be on the streets. She's also listening intently for any unusual sounds.

Spot [roll0]

Listen [roll1]

sciencepanda
2010-06-19, 10:34 PM
You continue down the dark street, passing house by identical house. Occasionally, one of the buildings will have a light emanating from the windows, but there is no reaction from it as you pass.

You continue down, block by block. Soon, you pass by a larger, square building, and a smaller house placed next to it. Despite your best efforts to be silent, your movement ever so slightly displaces a small cart along the side of the road, which lets out a long slow CREEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAK.

With cold sweat running down the back of your necks, you realize that the lights of the smaller house flicker on. A voice echos from the house,

"Hello? Is someone out there?"

Parlity
2010-06-19, 10:59 PM
Meeka freezes. She stretches a hand back to stop Telim and Randolf.

Does it sound like one of the Borises? Listen check [roll0]

sciencepanda
2010-06-19, 11:06 PM
The voice seems to have the same booming tone and thick accent of the previous Borises.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-19, 11:59 PM
Telim stops dead in his tracks, holding his breath.

MarvinMartian
2010-06-20, 11:52 AM
Randolf silently urges the others to duck down behind the small cart - hopefully the Boris will not see them hiding behind it.

Hide
[rollv]1d20+11[rollv] crap messed up my roll - can be found in OOC

sciencepanda
2010-06-20, 12:33 PM
The figure approaches closer. Through the dim light of his lamp, you can see that he is portly, with a black beard and a ushanka.

"Greetings, my friends!" he says gaily, "I am Boris, the town grocer."

Boris continues,

"I am sorry to see you out so late, but I am afraid I must ask you to keep the noise down. My wife, she is ill, you see, and needs her rest."

He thinks for a moment, and then adds,

"Ah, but where are my manners! It is late, and it is chilly. Why don't you come in for a drink? It will warm you right up, and then you can continue on your merry way."

note:
Randolf quickly dives out of sight, however the other three fail to make it in time, and Boris addresses only them.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-20, 01:02 PM
His wife ... is sick ... Telim's stomach turns over. Right at this moment, a poor defenseless woman is probably in the process of turning into one of these abominations. Telim grasps his axe so tight that his knuckles turn white. He hates himself for not attacking this abomination immediately. But no; he can't; he needs to consider the greater good. They must reach the house at the edge of town first, and deal with the rest later.

Squeezing a forced smile, he responds to the man,

Maybe later, good sir. We're taking a stroll through your lovely town. A good walk before bed makes it so much easier to sleep well.

CWater
2010-06-20, 01:33 PM
Irethírra looks at the Boris, estimating how big threat he could be. She supports Telims answer in a cool, but polite voice: "Indeed. Perhaps an another time would be better, since we have traveled a long way today and are rather tired. We are sorry for disturbing your wife, may she soon recover from her illness."

If we make an attempt at Diplomacy, should we roll for that ourselves or will the DM do that?
Okay, Diplomacy then 1d20-1 Hmm, didn't work, it'll be in the OOC then

EDIT: roll

sciencepanda
2010-06-20, 01:43 PM
You can go ahead and roll for your own Diplomacy checks.

sciencepanda
2010-06-20, 03:21 PM
Boris loosely grabs Telim's arm and continues.

"Ah, I understand. But please, come inside, I insist. Exercise is good and all, but you will catch your death outside in the cold."

Parlity
2010-06-20, 04:17 PM
Nervously watching the Boris, Meeka forces a grin.

"Oh it is cold. My hand is frozen. Umm, ladies first." she dribbles.

She steps in front of Telim and tries to take the Boris' hand.

touch attack - fatigue [roll0] and subdual cold damage [roll1]

sciencepanda
2010-06-20, 04:50 PM
Upon Meeka's attack, Boris clutches Telim's arm tightly, but then slumps forward and falls to the ground.

Parlity
2010-06-20, 06:13 PM
Meeka tries to catch the Boris as it falls and let it down on the ground gently. Whispering, she asks,

Should we take the Boris inside?

CWater
2010-06-20, 06:28 PM
"I think that would be wise. He'll wake up eventually and remember us and that might cause problems later on. If we carry him inside, we can try to explain that he just collapsed or something similiar, in case he'd happen to ask about it later. Also, someone else might notice him and we do not wish to invoke any more attention tonight."

Irethírra tries to choose her words carefully, since she is not sure if the Boris is fully unconscious.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-20, 08:59 PM
Telim

Well, if we've already tangled up with him, might as well take a look at the wife. Maybe something can be done.

Parlity
2010-06-20, 11:06 PM
Meeka

Yes, well. I have him by the shoulders. I need help to carry him.

She lifts up the Boris by the shoulders.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-20, 11:06 PM
Telim helps out by grabbing the legs.

MarvinMartian
2010-06-21, 01:15 AM
Randolf is relieved that the situation didn't require violence - as he still isn't fully convinced that the Boris's condition is permanent. Silently he follows the others towards the house but takes up a position close to the door in the dark where he will keep watch. After all others might of heard the commotion and come and investigate.

Randolf is on watch outside the house, listening for any sounds of others approaching.

sciencepanda
2010-06-21, 08:58 AM
The inside of the house is small, and of a simple wood design, as is the standard for the town. It contains a rug, some basic furniture, a small kitchen, and off to the side, a small room with the door leading to it closed.

The items in the room are in order, however there is a fine layer of dust coating much of the area, indicating that it hasn't properly been used in some time.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-21, 12:15 PM
Telim helps Meeka place the unconscious Boris on a cot or couch, or, if such are unavailable, on the rug, then opens the door to the other room.

Let's check his sick wife.

CWater
2010-06-21, 12:53 PM
Irrethírra doesn't really like the idea of helping this sick woman. In her opinion, aiding single individuals hardly makes any difference to the whole towns situation. However, the elf doesn't bother to say anything about it, she just leans against a wall with a slightly irritated look.

sciencepanda
2010-06-21, 01:15 PM
The other room is a small bedroom, containing little more than a single bed and a dresser. Lying on the bed is the grocer's wife. Next to her is a large metal canister with a long metal tube attached. The tube runs from the canister to the woman's mouth. She is ghostly pale, and skeletally thin. She is unconscious, but ever so often, lets out a faint moan.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-21, 01:44 PM
Oh my, she's being forcefed the stuff.

Telim quickly removes the feeding tube. He uses the handle of his axe for this, trying not to get any of the stuff on his hands and clothes.

sciencepanda
2010-06-21, 02:17 PM
The woman coughs harshly, but remains unconscious. As the tube is removed, the travelers get a whiff of the venom. It is utterly foul smelling, like a mix of crude oil and rotting meat.

The disgusting smell of the liquid as it sloshes onto the floor is enough to initially distract the travelers from the slow, jerky footsteps approaching from behind.

It is Boris. He walks towards you with a sever limp, as if every slight movement commands his greatest effort. He has clearly still under the effects of Meeka's last attack. His face has a slight layer of frost upon it, and his jowls hang limply. In spite of this, he makes out a few words, although not in his usual jolly tone. Like his body movement's, his voice is now cold, methodical, and jerky.

"Report: Subject has been compromised. Supernumeraries responsible, and deemed increased threat. Requesting ascension to level zero point five zero zero."

As he says this, he reaches his hands under his hat and appears to twist something. Almost immediately, the smell of rotting flesh extends from under his hat and fills the room. This is not the most terrible aspect of the change Boris is undergoing, however.

Upon fiddling with whatever object was under his hat, Boris's entire body immediately straightens out in one harsh, crunching motion. Following this, his entire body begins to jerk about, making disgusting noises as if bones are being ripped and broken. His eyes sink into their sockets, and in the place of on, a small tentacle extends, periodically sensing about. His hands reverse position entirely, and his fingers fall out. The musculature and joins on his top two fingers twists and crunches, and then unfolds into a set of curved exoskeleton claws. Lower down, there is a tearing noise at his boots, as four long, vaguely spiderlike legs extend from his feet.

The monstrosity that was Boris scuttles towards the group, his head dangling limply.

rolling for initiative:
Telim:[roll0]
Irrethírra:[roll1]
Randolf:[roll2]
Meeka:[roll3]
Boris:[roll4]

sciencepanda
2010-06-21, 02:27 PM
Boris's eye-tentacle waves about, then points towards Meeka, seeming to recognize her as the one who had attacked him earlier. With more speed than a creature of his girth should have, he scuttles forwards on his spindly extra limbs, and lets loose a wide curving slash with his foreclaws.

rolls:
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

CWater
2010-06-21, 03:40 PM
Irethírra freezes for a moment, taken aback by the monsters transformation. "By the merciless Kaltvíse..." she mumbles in Elven.

Kaltvíse is the name of the biggest mountain in her homeland; I hope it's okay:smalltongue:

However, despite her suprise the elf quickly pulls herself together, grabs her ritiik and tries to plunge it to the creatures flesh, attempting to trip it. (Moving first of course if it is necessary.)

If the Boris fails Reflex save (DC 10+damage) the blade is hooked to it and Ire can try to trip it.
Strenght check: [roll2]

If Irethírra fails (but succeeds hooking the blade) she lets go off the weapon to avoid being tripped herself.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-21, 03:47 PM
By the power of The Valorous Knight, I smite thee, foul abomination!

Swinging his axe above his head in a menacing arc, Telim attacks.

attack [roll0], dmg [roll1]

If it's possible for Telim to move into a flanking position w/o provoking an attack of opportunity from "Boris", add +2 to the attack roll

sciencepanda
2010-06-21, 03:54 PM
Reflex Save:
[roll0]

Irethírra's weapon is caught against Boris's leather jerkin, apparently not dealing any serious damage, and forcing her to drop it. However, he is caught by a mighty axe blow to the shoulder from Telim, causing him to let out an inhuman yowl of pain.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-21, 04:56 PM
Oh well, there's goes our plan to be stealthy and quiet.

Randolf, get in here! We need help!

Parlity
2010-06-21, 05:30 PM
Meeka

Aa! Meeka stifles her scream as Boris' foreclaws hits her. Shimmering claws appear on the top of her furry gloves when blood splashes on them. She yanks her club out of her belt and swings it.

[roll0] attack including flank damage [roll1]

sciencepanda
2010-06-21, 07:57 PM
Since Randolf is outside , I figured I'd let Boris at least move a little, I hope that's ok.

Meeka's club swings true, bashing Boris violently against the hand and arm with a loud CRUNCH. Boris clutches his now disfigured hand and gives Meeka a glare of utmost hatred, before beginning a minor retreat, climbing vertically up the walls and onto the ceiling of the room with his insectile feet.

climb check:
[roll0]

MarvinMartian
2010-06-22, 12:37 AM
Randolf hears the sounds of a scuffle coming from inside the house, quickly he steps into the room - daggers brandished and ready. Much to his surprise he glimpses the horror perched on the ceiling. With a painful swallow he lines up for a throw with his dagger... and releases.

Throw attack within 30': [roll0] (-2/-4 if Boris is more than 10'/20' away)

Edit: added possible range increment penalty to attack roll

sciencepanda
2010-06-22, 10:46 AM
Boris lets out another enraged bellow at the dagger that is now embedded in his shoulder, but remains perched on the ceiling.

CWater
2010-06-22, 12:52 PM
Seeing that the Boris flees to the ceiling (with her weapon, I presume) Irethírra grabs her shortbow from her back instead and attempts to shoot at the creature. She glances shortly at the injured Meeka, but focuses then at the monster.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-22, 12:59 PM
Telim grimaces at the disturbing sight of the monster scurrying on the ceiling.

We'll squash you like the bug you are!

Stretching to his full height, he reaches out to bring Boris down with his axe.

[roll0], damage [roll1]; I took into account the -2 to attack

Parlity
2010-06-22, 11:27 PM
Meeka

Lips bared in a snaggly-toothed snarl, Meeka grips her longspear with both hands and jabs at the Boris.

[roll0] damage [roll1] her longspear has 10' reach. -2 penalty included.

MarvinMartian
2010-06-23, 01:13 AM
Randolf holds his fear at bay and plucks another dagger from his bandoleer. With more confidence than his first throw, he aims at the Boris monster and releases.

Attack roll: [roll0]

sciencepanda
2010-06-23, 01:35 AM
Boris bobs and weaves along the ceiling, narrowly dodging the blows from Irethírra, Telim and Meeka. However, Randolf's thrown knife hits true, striking him directly across the chest.

Boris is on his last legs now, a bleeding mess with two daggers stuck in his chest and Irethírra's weapon still entwined in his armor. With a cry, he drops from the ceiling, lashing his legs out and grazing them against Telim's face.

Damage [roll1]

Fort save to avoid being poisoned. DC 15.

Boris crouches defensively, like a rat in a corner, while his eye-tentacle darts back and forth, sensing from person to person.

CWater
2010-06-23, 02:37 PM
Irethírra's face shows no emotion as she draws a new arrow and fires it at the malformed creature.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-23, 02:40 PM
Telim is taken aback for a second by the sudden attack, and only at the last moment is able to regain his balance and parry the monstrous appendage with his shield.

AC 18, so he doesn't hit

He strikes again with his axe.

[roll0], dmg [roll1] <---- oooh, looks like a solid hit

sciencepanda
2010-06-23, 02:55 PM
Irethírra's arrow flies straight for Boris's face. However with one quick motion, Boris snatches the arrow out of the air with his remaining good hand.

Yikes, sorry CWater, you haven't been having the best luck with attack rolls.

Boris's smug grin of satisfaction is cut short, however when Telim follows the arrow's pursuit, lunging forward with his axe and landing a direct hit into Boris's torso.

With his last breath, Boris whispers,

"The Consumption...will continue..."

And with that, he coughs loudly, his moth slowly oozing black sludge. Boris collapses to the ground, his fur hat falling off in the process. His claws twitch rapidly for a split second, and then hang loose. His eye-tentacle dangles lifelessly. He is no more.

Congrats for winning your first encounter! 500 XP for everyone!:smallsmile:

Once again, the room is still, save for the unconscious woman on the bed's slow groans.

CWater
2010-06-23, 03:29 PM
Irethírra walks towards the fallen Boris and picks up her ritiik. The weapon is still stuck on the monsters armor, but since she is used to handling the weapon she manages to remove it. If the blade is bloody or has...other contaminants on itself, she looks for something to clean it with.

"...Does anyone of you have any idea what that creature was?" She asks in a stoic voice.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-23, 05:02 PM
As much as Telim was interested in the inner workings of the Boris, the living came first.

Meeka, you're injured! Do you need healing?

Assuming Meeka doesn't object, Telim casts Cure Light Wounds (trades in Cause Fear), for [roll0] <--- :smallfurious:

Parlity
2010-06-24, 01:53 AM
Meeka

Yes thank you!

Meeka cries out gratefully and tries to hug Telim. She slowly picks up her club and puts it back in her belt and then walks to the fallen Boris and studies it. Her face is blank while she thinks about Irethirra's question.

Knowledge(nature) [roll0] (arcana) [roll1] (planes) [roll2]

MarvinMartian
2010-06-24, 02:16 AM
Randolf

Randolf walks up to the abomination that called itself Boris and retreives his daggers from its corpse. He inspects them carefully for damage and cleans them off on Boris's shirt.

Next Randolf methodically begins searching the body. Turning to the others he barely hides his disgust at touching the body, but says

Should check if we can find any clues on the body that may help our understanding of this situation...Distasteful as that might be...

Search: [roll0]

We should also be quick about it, as all the bellowing and noise our battle made with the Boris might bring others to investigate...Perhaps someone can keep an eye out on the road outside?

CWater
2010-06-24, 04:49 AM
"I will do that" Irethírra answers to Randolfs question. "I have a better night vision than you or...Telim" It takes her a moment to remember the priests name. "And Meeka is injured."

Without saying another word the elf walks out to the road. She leaves the front door slightly ajar and keeps an eye on the surroundings.

Now, dear forum roller, still dislike me?

Listen: [roll0] Spot: [roll1]

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-24, 09:19 AM
Telim

The priest squeezes his temples, mumbles a few words, and carefully observes the remains of Boris. He's not just looking at them, but seems like able to gleam something beyond them.

Cast Detect Magic; if there's magic emanating from Boris, Spellcraft [roll0] to identify the school(s) of magic and spell(s) used.

After finishing up with Boris, might as well check if anything else in the house emanates magic.

sciencepanda
2010-06-24, 09:39 AM
The house itself does not appear to contain an unusual levels of magic beyond the norm for the region. However, the examination of Boris's body wields bizarre results.

A normal living being contains at least a basic aura of magic contained in their bodies. This base magic naturally stays in their core and does not move unless the being casts magic or dies. Boris's aura however extends from his body, and seems to web out into various directions outside. Even as his inert magic begins to fade following his death, this unusual effect is still easily read by Telim's magic.

While his body shape and general texture of skin is normal for for a human of his age and nationality, that is largely where the similarities end. The various joints on his body seem to be divided into segments, separated by black, chitinous gaps. His torso lacks a navel, and seems to be divided into a series of segmented ridges, which are easily pushed back and forth. Removal of his boots shows that his toes have been totally displaced, being pushed towards the side of the feet where they grow into longer insectile talons.

Most horrifying however, is what is found at the top of his head. At first glance, it looks as if the top of his skull has been cut clean off, but on further examination, the large gaping hole in his cranium appears to be natural. Inside, instead of some form of normal brain tissue, is a flesh colored ribbon like object, wound around three greenish knobs. Looking even closer however is the worse part of all: The spiraled ribbon-like object in his head seems to be made of human skin, and contains occasional human traits--the remnants of a facial structure, distorted in what must be a cry of agony, and the occasional finger or toe sticking outward. An utterly gruesome sight.

Meeka considers. This is clearly some sort of extraplanar entity, She is reminded of stories of invading mind flayers, horribly creatures who insert parasites into the living in order to convert them into more of their own. However, while the general method seems to be similar, this is clearly not the work of an illithid. The mind flayers do not form themselves into mockeries of their host species, and they are at least fully lucid and intelligent during their attacks. This being, she is unsure if it is truly intelligent, or just somehow pretending to be.

MarvinMartian
2010-06-24, 11:21 AM
Randolf

Randolf shakes his head in bafflement. Part of him is worried that they are stretching their luck remaining in this location with all of the racket the Boris made while they battled with it, the other part is concerned with the health of his...its...the sick woman in back. He is unsure what has a higher priority...

Making up his mind, Randolf turns to the others...

Um...aah... I think we should be leaving here as quickly as possible. The noise of our battle with the Boris is bound to draw attention. I also am unsure how us getting caught with this thing here is going to help anyone.

With some disgust Randolf nudges the hideous corpse at his feet.

We should head for the house on the outskirts of town as quickly as possible. Perhaps then we can discover something more effective to help these villagers.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-24, 11:25 AM
Telim

You're right, we must go. Just give me a minute here, please.

Telim examines the sick woman, trying to discern ways to alleviate her condition, and whether medical attention could be of any help to her at all. He wishes he paid more attention during the Brother Bonifacius' First Aid course.

Heal check [roll0]

If this proves futile, he adjusts her pillows and is ready to go.

sciencepanda
2010-06-24, 11:31 AM
The woman coughs and sputters, but remains unconscious. Soon however, her arm begins to twitch slightly. Without opening her eyes or getting up, she begins to reach around, as if feeling for something. Soon, her hand grasps the feeding tube. Slowly, she begins to drag it toward her, in the direction of her mouth. This entire process seems to be be painful for her, and it seems to be practically a miracle that she can even move at all.

Parlity
2010-06-24, 12:45 PM
Meeka

It's an extraplanar entity. Like a mind flayer and not a mind flayer. They insert parasites in the living to convert them into more of their own.

Before it attacked, it was like it was talking to others. You're right, we should go.

Meeka grabs the woman, butts her head into the woman's side and drags the sick woman on top of her shoulders and backpack as she lifts her up.

"Let's hurry," she sputters, moving slowly to the door.

Meeka can lift the woman if the woman is less than 170 lbs.

sciencepanda
2010-06-24, 01:35 PM
The sickly woman does not make any sort of struggle as she is carried out into the cold night air. By this point, it is far past midnight, and the moon is hidden behind the clouds. The group continues down the road in the direction the domovoi had pointed them in.

After twenty-so minutes of walking, you come to the towns wall. The red brick is hard to make out and feels cool to the touch. This section of the town is much more sparsely populated than the rest, and consists mostly of small shacks, with the occasional piece of debris littering on the grass. The road forks in two, with one way pointing to the left where the domovoi had directed in, and the right path going further into town.

MarvinMartian
2010-06-25, 12:45 AM
Randolf

As quietly as he can, Randolf whispers to his campanions -

I guess we take the left-hand fork...

sciencepanda
2010-06-25, 12:59 PM
After much walking, you finally come to the house that the domovoi spoke of. Upon your first glance of it, it is easy to understand why he described it as "strange". The building is large and dome-shaped, with a ridged opening at the top, where a large tubelike mechanism extends outward. The dome is surrounded on all sides by multiple windows of varying size, shape and color. It also features multiple chimneys, all of which bellow out multicolored smoke. Numerous large metal tubes extend out of the sides of the house and into the ground.

The grounds outside of the house are well maintained, but minimal. The grass seems to have been recently cut, and their is a small doorless shack to the side, which seems to contain a variety of strange gears, mechanisms and whosamacallits.

The door to the house is slightly ajar. The inside of the house seems to be lit, and there is a faint clanging noise coming from inside as well.

Parlity
2010-06-25, 02:10 PM
Meeka

She gently lays the sick woman down on the grass.

listen [roll0]

sciencepanda
2010-06-25, 04:00 PM
From inside the house, Meeka can here a series of clicks and clangs. Every so often, she can hear a faint voice, saying things such as,

"Ok! Now pull zat level zere!"

CWater
2010-06-25, 04:44 PM
Irethírra eyes the extraordinary house.

An inventor or something similiar? Hmh, one never knows what they might come up next. Strange folk they are, no wonder the domovoi considered him weird.

"Well? Shall we go inside? There is little point in standing out here."

MarvinMartian
2010-06-25, 05:52 PM
Agreed!

Randolf walks up to the crack formed by the slightly a-jar door. Briefly he looks back at the others, then turns and knocks soundly on the door. Peering inside he calls out,

Uum..sorry...um...Excuse me! Is someone home...

sciencepanda
2010-06-25, 11:05 PM
The inside of the house is larger than one would expect from viewing it from the outside, but this extra space seems to be a necessity, as it is absolutely cluttered. Fabulous devices, each more magnificent and bizarre than the last fill the room. Test tubes filled with iridescent liquid bubble steam, and jars containing the preserved remains of odd creatures can also be viewed.

In the far corner of the room, standing by a large rectangular window is a tall male figure. Upon closer inspection, the figure is actually a tall man, seemingly made of interlocking metal plates. The metal man stands facing a birdcage on the windowsill. Gingerly, he inserts his index finger in between the bars of the cage. The bird inside, a small sparrow of some sort, chirps for a moment, and then hops upon the metal man's finger.

You are distracted from this odd sight when you discover the source of the clanging noise heard from outside. To your right is another male figure. This one is short and thin, and hunched over some odd silver box-shaped device, the act of which obscures his face. He wears an oil-stained labcoat which must have been white at some point, and his balding head contains several odd threads of long grey hair, which shoot off in odd directions. This man tinkers with the device further, then says;

"AHA! Ze mechanism is almost complete!"

Without looking up, he holds out his hand his hand out in Telim's direction.

"01-X, fetch the crescent wrench, will you? Haha! I may have zis done just in time for scones!"

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-25, 11:27 PM
Telim

Good evening, sir. We're sorry to disturb you, and even more sorry we didn't bring a crescent wrench. We do, however, have news of most grave importance, if you're willing to listen.

sciencepanda
2010-06-25, 11:42 PM
The man glances up in Telim's direction for a second, and then does a double take. You can see now that he wears thick glasses, and one of his eyes is missing, replaced by one made of glass.

"Wait, you are not 01-X, are you. Just give me a moment, give me a moment."

The man walks over to a pile of tools and begins violently sorting through them. Eventually he fishes out his wrench and returns to work on his mechanism. After a few seconds of adjusting, he seems satisfied. He presses a button on the machine's side, and a large jet of steam issues out. He begins to cackle maniacally.

"AHAHAHAHA! At last! My greatest creation is complete!"

The scientist reaches into a small flap on the side of the machine and pulls out a small vial filled with dark brown liquid. He downs the fluid in one gulp.

"Ah!" he shouts, "Perfect expresso! My favorite!"

He finally turns to face the group.

Now. My name iz Professor Friedrick Eisenhardt. Just what can I help you folks with?

Parlity
2010-06-26, 01:05 AM
Meeka picks up the sick woman and carries her inside.

Extraplanar entities like mind flayers taking over the town and turning them into Boris by feeding them brew. This woman has taken the brew and is sick. Can you help her?

sciencepanda
2010-06-26, 02:21 PM
The scientist points in Meeka's direction and addresses the machine-man as she exits to aid the sick woman.

"01-X, go help her, will you?"

With a sigh, the metal man gets up from the birdcage, and begrudgingly speaks,

"Yeah...ok dad."

01-X accompanies Meeka to the front yard. While walking, he seems utterly fascinated by her various Incarnum artifacts, agog is silent surprise. Eventually, as he helps her with the woman, he asks,

"Um...Is it ok if I ask what that is?" gesturing towards her helm. He has a solid voice that echos slightly out of the speaker on his face.

---

Once they return to the room, Professor Eisenhardt lays the woman on a table and begins examining her, opening her eyes, looking in mouth, taking blood and skin samples. He listens to Meeka's explanation, and as brief as it is, he seems enthralled by it.

"Innnnnnnnteresting. Yes. In all my years of study, I have never seen anyzing like zis before. As far as I can tell, it seems to be some sort of extradimensional virus zat is plaguing zis poor woman. Now, could you get me some of zis 'brew' as you call it? I wish to examine it for further study. If I have a better understanding of what it is and how it functions, perhaps I could synthesize an antidote."

CWater
2010-06-26, 02:53 PM
"That can be arranged" Irethírra replies, she's leaning against one of the walls (assuming there is enough room to do so with all the mechanical devices). "But do you have any knowledge of what these beings are? They are certainly not a common sight in this world, and I wish it to remain so."

Parlity
2010-06-26, 08:16 PM
Meeka

To 01-X she replies,

It's okay. It is a mask of the unrelenting winter wolf, whose touch carries the cold of winter. I shaped it from my soul energy by thinking about becoming a winter wolf.

Looking at Irethirra, she says,

"The Boris that we fought in the sick woman's house, it acted like it was talking to others. Should we look for samples of brew close by?"

MarvinMartian
2010-06-27, 01:51 PM
We could try heading back to where we found the woman... She was being fed some sort of gruesome substance. Perhaps that is what we are looking for? Pitty that the place is probably crawling with more Boris virus things by now...

Now that I think about it searching another house might be a smarter idea!

sciencepanda
2010-06-28, 09:26 AM
Professor Eisenhardt contemplates;

"Now, if zese 'Boris's' as you call them, need the fluid to reproduce themselves, surely they must have large supplies of it on hand. Perhaps you might use ze distraction you may have caused in rescuing zis poor woman to steal a container of the stuff from an unoccupied house?"

01-X seems excited at the prospect of a stealth mission.

"Oh! I can help. I'm pretty strong, and if you catch the creatures' attention, perhaps I could act as a distraction, or something along those lines."

"No, no.", responds Eisenhardt. "It is far too dangerous. You are better off aiding me in ze lab."

01-X is recalcitrant.

"But father, I am inorganic, so I would likely be unaffected by the monsters' conversion process. Please. I need to help these people somehow."

note:
Would anyone like to temporarily play as 01-X if I write up a character sheet for him?

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-28, 09:43 AM
Telim

It's very noble of you, 01-X, to suggest this help. But the final decision whether you can go or not rests with your father.

Telim turns to his friends,
And I agree that we're better off going to another house rather than returning to where we fought Boris.

Parlity
2010-06-29, 12:42 AM
Meeka

Meeka walks to the door, then stops.

How would we tell if it's an unoccupied house?

I can run 01-X if we need him in the group. I will have a hard time talking in character with both characters.

MarvinMartian
2010-06-29, 02:58 AM
Randolf

Well...um...I do have some abilities that might help in that area. I can probably sneak into a house without anyone detecting me.

I could always signal for assistance if the need should arise.

CWater
2010-06-29, 12:34 PM
Irethírra

"Really?" Irethírra raises her eyebrows when she hears Randolf mention about his burglar skills. After a moment of silence the elf continues: "Well, I suppose it serves the greater good in this matter. Those monsters might indeed turn out to be quite of a threat to this small town." You can hear how her tone has changed from cold to downright freezing.

MarvinMartian
2010-06-29, 02:52 PM
Randolf bristles at Iretherra's tone and replies with equal coolness in his tone,
Well I was part of my towns defense team against the local kobold menance. You know you learn a thing a two when entering a kobold infested mine. How to find and disable their filthy traps and sneak down a tunnel or two in the dark.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-29, 03:08 PM
Telim

Dear friends, we have a task of utmost importance. Now is not the time to compare moral standards.

sciencepanda
2010-06-29, 03:42 PM
Professor Eisenhardt seems totally ignorant of the argument going on in his home. He exclames, with a certain degree of glee,

"Ah espionage! How exciting. I do zink I may be of some help to you zere."

He runs off, rummaging through the various piles of machinery strewn throughout his house, before returning with several items.

"Ah, I'm so pleased zat my inventions can finally be put to proper use! Here, let me show you how zey work."

He holds up what appear to be an ordinary bellows (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bellows).

"Zis device contains a special gas. When released, it will zettle in the immediate area, and obscure the vision of anyone trying to find you."

He now holds up what seems to be a round ball with a nozzle attached.

"Now zis one, it contains a special fast acting glue. Simply spray it at your assailant's feet, and he shall be stuck in place! Haha!" He poses dramatically.

Next is a pair of boots, with some a series of numerous thin fibers on the soul, and small bits of wiring connecting to a button on the ankle area.

"Zis one is rather cool. Put them on, and once activated, they shall allow you to literally climb the walls!"

The last device is a small cylinder, roughly the size of a compass. It is featureless, except for a thin spike on one end, and a grey button on the other.

"An zis one, zis one is my favorite. Let me demonstrate." He places the device on the floor, piercing the spike through the floorboards. He presses the button, and then pulls the device back upwards. The wooden floor warps and stretches like taffy, being pulled up with the device, until it is formed into a shape loosely resembling a simple table.

"As you can zee, ze device integrates and redistributes the fibrous structure of the wood, allowing you to shape it in any manner you please.

He finally hands all of the items off to the group.

"Ah, but you do not care about technobabble. You have work to do. Go, and good luck!"

He turns to 01-X

Now you, you are not going anywhere. It is much too dangerous out there, and I need assistance in studying the patient. Now, come, help me with ze microscope.

01-X seems despondent, but listens, and goes off into the back of the room with Professor Eisenhardt to go examine the sick woman.

As for the items, they function as such:
Smoke Bellows: Produces the effect of a Fog Cloud spell. Duration: 10 min per use.
Glue Organ: Produces the effect of a Web spell. Duration: 10 min per use.
Filament Boots: Grants the wearer the effect of the Spider Climb spell. Duration: 10 min per activation.
Wood Warper: Produces the effect of a Wood Shape spell.

Parlity
2010-06-29, 04:33 PM
Meeka

Meeka watches the disagreement worriedly and nods enthusiastically at Telim's words.

W-wonderful inventions, Meeka sputters. She stands over the inventions and slowly gathers them up and gives them to whoever will take them. "Maybe we can use this wood shaper to make a hole in a wall quietly."

CWater
2010-06-29, 10:57 PM
Irethírra

The elf still looks slightly irritated, but doesn't say another word. She seems to be ready to leave the house.

What is the area of effect for Glue Organ?

sciencepanda
2010-06-29, 11:14 PM
It is now past 2 in the morning. The night is increasingly cold, and there slightly foggy. There are three possible roads to go down. The one to the left along the city walls where you initially came from, one to the right against the walls, and one to the center, leading right into the middle of town.

The glue organ when used shoots a stream of glue that replicates the effect of a Web spell. The description from the SRD is as follows (Consider the duration as just being for 10 minutes):

Web
Conjuration (Creation)
Level: Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Effect: Webs in a 20-ft.-radius spread
Duration: 10 min./level (D)
Saving Throw: Reflex negates; see text
Spell Resistance: No

Web creates a many-layered mass of strong, sticky strands. These strands trap those caught in them. The strands are similar to spider webs but far larger and tougher. These masses must be anchored to two or more solid and diametrically opposed points or else the web collapses upon itself and disappears. Creatures caught within a web become entangled among the gluey fibers. Attacking a creature in a web won’t cause you to become entangled.

Anyone in the effect’s area when the spell is cast must make a Reflex save. If this save succeeds, the creature is entangled, but not prevented from moving, though moving is more difficult than normal for being entangled (see below). If the save fails, the creature is entangled and can’t move from its space, but can break loose by spending 1 round and making a DC 20 Strength check or a DC 25 Escape Artist check. Once loose (either by making the initial Reflex save or a later Strength check or Escape Artist check), a creature remains entangled, but may move through the web very slowly. Each round devoted to moving allows the creature to make a new Strength check or Escape Artist check. The creature moves 5 feet for each full 5 points by which the check result exceeds 10.

If you have at least 5 feet of web between you and an opponent, it provides cover. If you have at least 20 feet of web between you, it provides total cover.

The strands of a web spell are flammable. A magic flaming sword can slash them away as easily as a hand brushes away cobwebs. Any fire can set the webs alight and burn away 5 square feet in 1 round. All creatures within flaming webs take 2d4 points of fire damage from the flames.

Web can be made permanent with a permanency spell. A permanent web that is damaged (but not destroyed) regrows in 10 minutes.

Parlity
2010-06-30, 01:16 AM
Meeka

She pauses.

Were there houses close by on the left path? int or wis check [roll0]

sciencepanda
2010-06-30, 09:26 AM
Looking ahead, the largest density of houses seems to be in the center path. The left path, at least for the part where you had traveled alongside the city wall, is still in the town outskirts, and relatively unpopulated. Aside from the scientist, there are few houses, and they are tiny, sparse buildings.

The same is true of the right path, although marginally more so. Then again, you had not been down that path, so if you make another turn, who knows?

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-30, 08:23 PM
I don't think it's safe to go back into the deeply populated area. Who knows how many Borises lurk there. Left or right, what will it be? The path we've already been through, or a new one?

MarvinMartian
2010-07-01, 12:52 AM
Randolf

I say we go right. Left will lead us back towards the area were the Boris's are - and are still probably looking for us.

Parlity
2010-07-01, 01:23 AM
Meeka

Good p-point. Right sthounds better.

sciencepanda
2010-07-01, 12:10 PM
You head down the right path, alongside the short brick wall. Unlike the pristine nature of most of the town, this part is rather shabby. The grass is long and unkempt, the ancient mortar holding the bricks together is crumbling to pieces. The buildings are few and far between, and what ones there are, are barely held together wooden shacks, long abandoned. Each one is dark, with a layer of dust and cobwebs that suggests that they have not been lived in in some time.

That is, except for one small house, who's formally boarded windows are now clear, with a faint warm light shining through them. It is still coldly silent, but it is nonetheless apparent that this house has occupants.

Parlity
2010-07-02, 01:10 AM
Meeka

She slows down and carefully walks closer to the house.

Taking 10 on Hide and Move Silently, 15 and 12.

MarvinMartian
2010-07-02, 05:31 AM
Randolf

Randolf creeps after Meeka.

Also taking 10 on move and hide
Move silent: 19
Hide: 21

Parlity
2010-07-02, 11:25 AM
Meeka

She stops 30' from the house, holding her spear ready.

Stopping as close to the house as safely hidden/silent.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-07-02, 12:13 PM
Telim

Not having any experience in stealth, Telim keeps to the back of the group. He keeps his axe is ready, however.

CWater
2010-07-02, 12:57 PM
Irethírra

The elf stays with Telim, holding her ritiik ready. She keeps a close eye on Randolf's and Meeka's advancement towards the house, assuming it is possible from her location.

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]
I like rolling, even if the result is sometimes bad:smalltongue:

sciencepanda
2010-07-02, 01:07 PM
You approach the house alongside the short wooden wall to the left of the front door. The house remains silent, and there seems to be no reaction to your activities. The candlelight from the windows remains dim but steady.

Irethírra:
As you near the house, you swear for a second that you see the dim for a split second, as if a human shaped figure has passed in front of the window.

Parlity
2010-07-02, 01:09 PM
Meeka

She around as she stops. Nudging Randolf, she points out a good spot to hide.

Aid another hide [roll0] +2 to Randolf's hide, move silently [roll1]

CWater
2010-07-02, 01:42 PM
Irethírra

Not being sure what she saw, Irethírra hesitates for a moment, but puts then away her ritiik and picks up the bow instead.
"I advice you to be alert" She says to Telim. "Someone in there might be awake."

Rolling again in case it is needed:smalltongue:
Listen: [roll1]

Lin Bayaseda
2010-07-02, 01:44 PM
After Irethírra points out the danger, Telim gives the house a good look-over.

Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

sciencepanda
2010-07-02, 01:51 PM
You are all flat against the house's wall, and practically impossible to make out. However, as Meeka edges slightly closer, she steps on a small twig, which lets out a distinctive CRACK!

A human silhouette approaches the window. The lack of light makes it impossible for you to make out who or what it is, but at the same time you are too low for the figure at the window to see you.

"H...Hello? Is someone out there?" The voice says.

Parlity
2010-07-02, 02:22 PM
Meeka freezes.

Listen check [roll0], is it a Boris?

sciencepanda
2010-07-02, 02:39 PM
The voice speaks again.

"Hello?"

It is an adult male voice, with the same sort of accent that the Boris's have.

Parlity
2010-07-02, 08:51 PM
Meeka

She grips her spear and tries to walk quietly to the door.

move silently [roll0]

sciencepanda
2010-07-02, 08:54 PM
The voice hears Meeka as she approaches the door.

"Who's out there? I warn you, I'm armed!"

Parlity
2010-07-02, 09:04 PM
Meeka

She listens again.

Listen [roll0]

sciencepanda
2010-07-02, 09:30 PM
The voice has the same sort of husky tones as those of the Boris's, although it seems much more shaky and worried.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-07-02, 10:05 PM
Telim takes a deep breath. Ok, here goes nothing.

I'm sorry, we seem to be lost. We're looking for Boris. Can you help us?

sciencepanda
2010-07-02, 10:09 PM
Several seconds pass, until the door swings open. Stepping outside is a large heavyset man with a thick beard and an ushanka. He is holding a large broadsword, which he carefully places by the front door.

"But wait." he says, "I am Boris. Who are you to ask?"

Lin Bayaseda
2010-07-03, 09:36 PM
Telim wonders if he's identical to the others.

Spot [roll0]

sciencepanda
2010-07-03, 09:52 PM
As he walks closer, you can see that this new Boris is physically almost identical identical to the past ones. However, there are some subtle differences. His body language is somewhat jerky, as if he is on edge. He is slightly thinner than the previous Borises, as if he has not eaten properly in some time.

Even as he puts down his sword, he is clearly hesitant to stray to far from it.

"Please show yourself! W..who are you? How do you know my name?" he asks.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-07-03, 09:55 PM
Telim

Now that I think of it, the evil Boris didn't use a manufactured weapon. With that encouraging thought, Telim steps forward, sheathing his weapon.

Hello. We are travelers from afar, and we seem to be lost. We mean no harm.

sciencepanda
2010-07-03, 10:07 PM
Boris lets out a tremendous sigh of relief.

"Oh thank goodness. I had thought it was another one of those...things. Please, come inside. I don't know how safe it is out here."

Parlity
2010-07-04, 01:22 PM
Grinning toothily, Meeka edges inside facing Boris.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-07-04, 06:26 PM
Telim tries to act naive and unaware.

What things?

sciencepanda
2010-07-04, 06:59 PM
A small dark-haired boy runs from within the house and grips Boris around the waist.

"Daddy! Daddy! I'm scared! Who are these strange people?" he says.

Boris puts his hand on the boys head in an attempt to comfort him.

"It's alright Dieter. These people are travelers, like us."

This seems to calm the boy down a bit, although he remains latched on to Boris's waist. Boris turns again to address the group.

"My name is Boris Bykanov. I am a traveling merchant. My family and I, we were passing through this area, and we stopped to rest our horses."

"Well, I had gone out to explore the town a bit, and I saw it. It...It was.. Well, it was me. I don't know. I chalked it up as a coincidence at first, but then the next day there were more of them. Just wandering around, sometimes two at a time. I was so scared, I wanted to leave right away. But then the river dried up...Our horses would not have enough to drink. We would not make it to the next town. We were trapped here. My family have been in hiding in this shack since. We go find food when we can, but I don't want to risk the attention of the...me's. It's so strange. I do not know what to do.."

MarvinMartian
2010-07-05, 12:40 AM
Randolf

Stepping from the shadows and waving hello at the original Boris, Randolf says,

How is that these creatures come by your likeness? Have you encountered any strange objects, or artifacts during your travels? Encountered any strange beings that could account for these creatures stealing your likeness?

We understand how frightful this all is for you and your family, but you must understand that we have committed ourselves to finding out and ridding this town of the Boris plague...

Lin Bayaseda
2010-07-05, 12:46 AM
Telim pays attention to the man's mannerisms. Is his tone of voice natural? Does he sweat a lot? Does he rub his palms? Does he rub his mouth with his hands? Basically, looking for the tell-tales of a bad liar.

Sense Motive [roll0]
OOC I think it's deplorable Clerics don't get Sense Motive as a class skill. I mean, if there was one class that should get Sense Motive, it's, oh, I don't know, maybe the priest, the spiritual advisor!? And who does get Sense Motive? The Paladin, who doesn't need it anyway, because he has the unlimited and unerring Detect Evil.

Parlity
2010-07-05, 02:38 AM
Meeka

As she listens, she edges behind Boris and looks inside the house.

spot [roll0]

CWater
2010-07-05, 01:23 PM
Irethírra watches silently as Telim and Randolf question this Boris.

Hmm, he acts differently from the others and his fear seems real. And that boy called him his father, I doubt anyone would consider one of those monster-Borises as family, well, unless there is some sort of spell, of course.

"Perhaps we should talk inside" She says. "This area seems deserted, but you can never be too sure."

sciencepanda
2010-07-05, 01:35 PM
Boris has the tired, sweaty expression of someone who is clearly frightened, but as far as you can tell, he is being honest.

"I travel often, and so I am normally well versed in these woods. I know there are many dangerous fae out there, but I was sure to take the necessary precautions." He reaches into his coat pocket and pulls out a metal horse shoe, which he taps with a bare knuckle. "Cold iron, you see. Normally, this would prevent any of the odd sprites from harming us, but whatever those things are, it has not kept them from taking my form."

He puts his hand on Dieter's head, and then addressed the boy.

"Dieter, go back inside. Your mother needs your protection, alright?"

The boy nods, and runs back inside. You can see that the inside of the house is sparse, as the Bykanovs have made a rather hasty effort at setting up camp. There is a trio of sleeping bags layed out next to a moderately large lantern. To the side is a round middle aged woman sitting in a chair, knitting.

"I do not know much of what those things are, but I would be just as glad to see them gone as you would. Why don't you come inside. It is likely safer in there."

Lin Bayaseda
2010-07-05, 02:09 PM
Telim follows the man inside.

CWater
2010-07-05, 02:17 PM
Irethírra follows them.

sciencepanda
2010-07-05, 02:30 PM
Inside the building, you can see that the Bykanovs have been very diligent in their attempts to ward off any hostile creatures. Numerous charms and huge cloves of garlic have been hung from the rafters. Several types of protective runes have been engraved in the sides of the walls. And a fine line of sparkling black powder has been placed in a circle around the room.

The woman gets up from her chair and comes over to greet the group.

"My name is Tanya. I am Boris's wife. You're fellow travelers too, I take it. It is certainly nice to meet you, although I wish it had been under better circumstances."

Lin Bayaseda
2010-07-05, 02:44 PM
Telim

Walks in carefully, tryng not to disturb any of the protective runes.

I apologize, Boris and Tanya, for pretending not to know what you speak of when you mentioned the things. We've seen them, in fact we fought and destroyed one of them. But I wanted to be sure you're not one of them, luring us into a trap. I hope you forgive my small transgression.

With that out of the way, what could have possibly caused them to take your appearance, Mr. Bykanov?

Just for kicks, Knowledge (religion) [roll0] - are any of the protective runes actually effective? Edit: I guess it shall remain a mystery forever.

Parlity
2010-07-06, 12:37 AM
Meeka

"It is nice to meet you." Meeka slobbers saliva as she speaks.

She noticing Telim looking around and asks Tanya, "Did you make these wards?"

knowledge (arcana) [roll0] knowledge(planes) [roll1]

CWater
2010-07-11, 12:29 AM
Irethírra

The elf stands close to the doorway observing the room. She doubts that the many wards the family have made are of any use, but doesn't say anything about it; there is no need to be impolite. She winces slightly at the smell of garlic.

sciencepanda
2010-07-12, 09:19 AM
Tanya beams at Meeka's comment.

"Yep! I made these all myself. I can't exactly say I'm a great wizard or anything, but I understand a bit of magic, and you have to know how to provide the proper protection if you are traveling around out here."

She turns and pulls out a small piece of parchment and a quill.

"The theory behind making these wards is fairly simple. I can teach you if you would like."

---

Boris addresses Telim

"As I have said, I am but a simple merchant. My family and I sell these fine fur hats, you see." He pulls off his ushanka, revealing a balding head, and hands it off to Telim. The hat is very soft, and would presumably be very warm on a cold night like this. "As for why these creatures are mimicking my form, your guess is as good as mine. They seem to require a guise in order to produce some semblance of human behavior. As to why they chose to imitate me in particular, do not know. I would certainly be interested in hearing any theories that you have."

---

While Irethírra is examining the wards, Dieter approaches her. The small boy pulls on her hand.

"Hey lady." He says "Whacha looking at?"

MarvinMartian
2010-07-12, 11:14 AM
Randolf

Randolf looks curiously at Tanya,

Tanya, I am curious as to where you learned this knowledge, is it something you picked up during your travels - or learned from you fore-bearers?

sciencepanda
2010-07-12, 11:46 AM
Tanya responds.

"Ah, well I come from a town up north called Mutzeburg. Supposedly, it was founded on the grounds where Lord Oberon, the god-king of the fae, proclaimed the very first wild hunt. Now, this is all legend of course, I'm not saying it's necessarily true. But still, the town does have an unusually close association with the faery folk, and they've taught our town founders some of their ways. Among other things, it is tradition that all of the women in our village study a bit of magic. My mother was actually quite a powerful magician, and she was the one who taught me what I know. I can't say that I am up to her level, but I try to help when I can."

Parlity
2010-07-13, 02:40 PM
Meeka looks curiously at the paper and quill. "I see people making the marks that mean words. I would like to learn how. What do you think of these Irethírra?"

When she has a chance, Meeka suggests, "We met an eccentric man who is helping us save a woman who has drunk the brew that turns people into those monsters." Meeka tries to describe how to get to Professor Eisenhardt's house. "One other place without the monsters is the innkeeper Marissa's place. Will you be safe here while we leave to get a sample of brew? Do you have any suggestions or advice for us?"

CWater
2010-07-13, 04:26 PM
Irethírra flinches mildly at Dieter's touch. "...Nothing in particular." She says.

To Meeka's question, she answers bluntly: "Fascinating, but I believe we should be going. Our intention was to collect some of the Borises foul brew to professor Eisenhardt and we have yet to do so."

MarvinMartian
2010-07-14, 03:30 AM
Randolf

Let us escort these innocents, if they are willing, back to the professor. Safety in numbers and all that...

We can continue searching for the foul brew afterwards.

sciencepanda
2010-07-14, 12:06 PM
Tanya begins a rudimentary explanation of the alphabet, as well as the various unique glyphs involved in the making of the various wards. It's not much, but it's enough to get a fundamental explanation of the basics.

Meeka now has Craft (Wards) as a class skill.

--

Dieter looses interest in in the subject and begins to skip around the perimeter of the house.

---

Boris responds.

"Very well, if you think you can provide a safer location for my son and my wife, I will accompany you. Just give us a moment to gather our things."

Boris picks up his sword, and Tanya begins gathering up all of her various charms. This process is interrupted however, by an exclamation from Dieter, who is standing by the front window.

"Look!" he says. Through the boards in the window, you can see five figures approaching. They are tall, and all appear to be wearing ushankas.

Parlity
2010-07-14, 02:00 PM
Meeka pays close attention to Tanya's teaching. "Thank you Tanya," she dribbles in awe.

Meeka opens the door and curtly says, "Dieter get inside!"

Turning to the side, she says quietly,

"The monster we fought before could walk on the ceiling and had claws.

Let's go outside and trap them with the glue organ. Fight the ones not trapped by glue. Then blind them with the smoke bellows and run to the Professor's house. Quickly, is there a better plan we can take?"

CWater
2010-07-14, 04:11 PM
Irethírra

"I believe your plan will work just fine. I have the glue organ and Randolf the bellows, if I remember correctly. Are you and your family ready to depart, mister Bykanov?"

sciencepanda
2010-07-14, 04:42 PM
Boris nods in agreement, while Tanya holds Dieter close and begins chanting, as to cast a protective spell over him.

The spell is Protection from Evil, if you are curious.

Boris Bykanov gathers his family behind you, as you all begin to set out.

Meanwhile, the aberrant Borises continue their approach. They walk in a slow, almost cheerful manner, as if their immediate surroundings are the most beautiful things in the world. As they get closer, you can see a faint white glow in their eyes, like that of the eyes of a cat.

MarvinMartian
2010-07-15, 09:22 AM
Randolf

Randolf grimly nods his approval at Meeka's plan.

I will attempt to surprise them from the shadows with the bellows contraption.

Gripping the bellows in his hands he slips from the house into blends into the darkness.

Hide in shadows
[roll0]

Ready action

ACTION: Activate the bellows "aiming" at the center of the group struck by the glue.
CONDITION: The glue attack occurs

CWater
2010-07-16, 06:06 AM
Irethírra steps out from the house with the glue organ in hand behind her back. She walks towards the Borises. When she assumes that they are around 5 meters away, she rises her other hand and shouts: "Halt!"
Whether the monsters stop or not she pulls forth the organ and aims it at the centre of their group.

Sorry for the grammar errors, I'm in a hurry! >_<

sciencepanda
2010-07-16, 08:43 AM
Reflex Saves:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

sciencepanda
2010-07-16, 09:02 AM
The glue splats out onto the feet of the Boris's, leaving four of them totally tangled and immobile. One however manages to evade the goo. The five seem confused, but do not get a clear view of their assailants, as soon the fog from the bellows washes over them.

From inside the pillar of smoke, you can hear the Boris's speak. It is not so much that they talk in unison, but rather that they finish all speak separate words of the sentances, as if they cannot decide which one deserves to speak of them.

The Boris's say, "Template detected. Secondary threats detected. Movement capacity in base: negligible. Clarity of vision: negligible. Threat level increased. Proceed to level 0.8."

From inside the smoke cloud, there are a series of sickening crunches and slurping noises, followed by a long inhuman yowl.

Rolling for Initiative:
Telim:[roll0]
Irrethírra:[roll1]
Randolf:[roll2]
Meeka[roll3]
Boris:[roll4]
The Bykanovs will go last each turn.

sciencepanda
2010-07-16, 09:03 AM
From inside the cloud, you hear a series of padded thuds, and then a whooshing sound, as if the creature inside is swiping at something, but it fails to connect.

MarvinMartian
2010-07-16, 03:18 PM
Randolf moves through the shadows closing within 15' of the fog cloud. He grips his dagger ready to throw should anyone, or thing emerge from the fog.

Move silently
[roll0]

Ready action
Action readied: throw dagger
Condition: Something emerges from the fog

Parlity
2010-07-17, 12:05 AM
Meeka

She holds out her longspear for the Bykanov's to hold on to. When they are ready, she leads them in the direction going to the Professor's house.

Detouring around the fog cloud as much as there is room for on the road.

CWater
2010-07-19, 08:59 AM
Irethírra

She backs a little away from the fog, gripping her ritiik in her hand. If the others, save for Randolf whom she cannot see, seem to get away, she follows them.

sciencepanda
2010-07-19, 09:53 AM
As the group makes it's escape, Boris slowly pads his way out of the smoke. There are traces of the webbing remaining on his body, which inhibit it's movement somewhat, but don't prevent them altogether.

Now out of the smoke, you can see that this one has transformed further than the one you had previously fought. It's spine has jutted out and enlongated, causing his torso to hang low and it now supports it's distorted bodyshape with a set of long spines that have extended from it's elbows, which it uses as an extra pair of legs. It's hind legs have swollen and grown extremely muscular, and it now walks on a series of claws at the front of the foot, with longer back claws extended and trailing in the rear.

A long triangular frill of a bone-like structure has extended from it's neck from behind the head. It's head itself droops low, and the eye tentacle from the left eye has grown out and now loops back into the neck. A second eye-tentacle now extends out of the right eye, and perpetually twitches about. The stalks of both tentacles have an ominous glow to them.

Angered at Randolf's attack on it, Boris lunges at him, swiping with it's front claws.

[roll0]
[roll1]

MarvinMartian
2010-07-19, 12:58 PM
Randolf's attack from the shadows
Attack Roll: [roll0]
Damage roll: [roll1] + sneak attack [roll2]

MarvinMartian
2010-07-19, 12:59 PM
Confirming Critical
[roll0]
Critical damage x2 + sneak attack damage = 12 + 2

MarvinMartian
2010-07-19, 01:06 PM
The Boris's brutal attack lays Randolf low. With a moan he collapses to the ground unconscious...

Doh! He hit my AC 17, but least I got off (I hope) a critical...

sciencepanda
2010-07-19, 01:52 PM
Boris and Randolf exchange blows, both dealing heavy damage. Though Randolf is knocked out by Boris's claw swipe, he manages to embed his dagger firmly into Boris's skull.

"SHREEEEEEEEEEEEEE" shrieks the monstrous Boris, clawing maddeningly at it's face.

The Bykanovs look on in horror, Tanya shielding Dieter's eyes, while Boris raises his sword, a look of abject hatred in his eyes.

Parlity
2010-07-19, 09:26 PM
Meeka jumps and looks back at the horrible noise. When the Bykanovs' let go of her spear, she grips it with shaking gloved fists and silently charges at the monstrous Boris.

[roll0] includes +2 for charge [roll1]

AoO if monstrous Boris leaves her threatened area [roll2] [roll3]

CWater
2010-07-21, 01:52 PM
Irethírra

As she sees the Boris and Randolf exchange blows, and the latter getting knocked out, the elf lets out a small sigh. However, she draws her iuak and attacks the monster.
She does not charge; Irethírra has never been the type to rush fiercely into combat.

CWater
2010-07-21, 01:58 PM
...And since I forgot to add my attack roll in the previous post, here it is:

sciencepanda
2010-07-21, 09:29 PM
Boris grunts as Meeka swings her weapon, but he manages to duck, and she only manages to hit the carapace over his head, leaving him unarmed. However, he is then hit by a follow up attack from Irethírra, right in the gut.

Breathing heavily, Boris tries to make an escape, leaping up the side of the nearby house, and making it's way onto the roof. However, in its rush to escape, Meeka makes her second attack. This one hits it's mark, leaving Boris panting for breath as it makes it to the top of the roof.

CWater, I believe you also get an attack of opportunity here as well.

CWater
2010-07-22, 01:53 AM
After attacking the monster, Irethírra takes a quick look at Randolf, who lies unconsious at the ground. When she turns back to the fight she sees the monster is trying to escape and makes a final thrust towards it.
Oh, right! Almost forgot:smalltongue:

sciencepanda
2010-07-22, 08:53 AM
"Randolf! Are you alright?" Shouts Telim, running to his aid.

"Don't worry my friend. You will be alright." He says, preparing a spell.

Cure Light Wounds
[roll0]

---

Boris manages to leap out of the way of Irethírra's second attack. It is now atop the roof, glowering down at you.

MarvinMartian
2010-07-22, 11:49 AM
Randolf abruptly returns to consciousness, his body tingling from the after effects of Telim's healing magic. In a fluid movement he grabs a new dagger from his bandoleer, rolls to a crouching position and throws it at the Boris on the roof accompanied by a low feral growl of rage.

Attack
[roll0]
Distance modifiers: + 6 if within 30' else +5
-2 for every 10' increment

damage: [roll1]+ 3 if within 30' else +2

sciencepanda
2010-07-22, 01:10 PM
Boris shudders backward as the second dagger embeds itself in his shoulder.

Grunting, he bends forward, and with a sickening pop, a series of flanged spins sprout from his back, one by one, with four in total.

Boris lets out a howl, and the spines begin to glow a bright yellow. The spines grow steadily brighter, until finally, with a cracking noise the light is released. Five beams aim straight upward, cutting through the cold night sky like a knife. They soon arc forward, plunging into Telim, Irethírra, the human Boris, and Dieter. The young boy's defensive spell quickly begins to distort and warp the blast, sending it off target, but the other three hit.

Telim: [roll0]
Irethírra: [roll1]
Boris: [roll2]

sciencepanda
2010-07-22, 09:32 PM
Crugretor Starting Point:

Doombringer, feel free to jump in here whenever you like.

It's been a long night. It is late, dreadfully past midnight, and you are out in the cold air, in the forest of Bohrenvolk, without a proper spot for camping. You have passed by a dried riverbed, but no other landmarks of interest.

At least until you find you path blocked.

A small, oddly shaped figure is in the way. It is roughly humanoid, but only about a foot tall. It has skin with the color and texture of aged wood, and it's head resembles a nut or acorn of some kind. Wings resembling dried leaves jut from its back. Right now it is engaged in some odd task that only it seems to know the purpose of.

It picks up a rock, larger than it should be able to carry, and places it in a crude circle, formed of other rocks. Noticing you, it turns it's head and gives a vague greeting.

"Oh. Hello man-folk."

But then immediately goes back to it's task without another word.

Doombringer
2010-07-23, 12:44 AM
:Those keen eyes spot the creature and look to it curiously.: "Hello to you as well my small friend tell me what is it you are doing ?" :Crugretor watched for a few moments his spear having been used as a walking stick and the soles of his boots well worn.: "And can you use a hand ?" :He shifted closer but made no threatening movements wanting to get a good look at just what this unusual creature was.:

MarvinMartian
2010-07-23, 07:19 AM
DIE FOUL SPAWN! Just...just die already!

Shouts Randolf in frustration.

Now fully standing, he whips another of his sharp daggers from his bandoleer and hurtles it at the Boris on the roof.

Attack

[roll0]
-2 for 10' away or -4 for 20' away

Also fingers crossed that it falls off the roof when it dies otherwise bye-bye all my nice daggers :smallwink:

sciencepanda
2010-07-23, 08:44 AM
With yet another dagger in it's side, Boris cannot help but violently cough up some of the black fluid that runs through it's veins. It stumbles, and with a thud lands on the ground, it's leg and two of the spines on it's back snapped in the process. It is still alive, but barely. Up close you can see that it's neck and upper back are covered in gill-like slits, that perpetually undulated in and out, each time with a heavy wheeze.

---

The small creature takes another one of the rocks, and firmly puts it in place with the others.

"There! Finished!" it says, with a look of accomplishment.

It grins a wide grin at Crugretor, revealing large orange teeth.

"You see, man-folk, this place veeeeeery dangerous right now. So Grig is responsible, and puts up wall. Now nothing bad get in." He raps his knuckles on the nearby rock, clearly very proud of himself.

With a light buzzing, his wings become active and he flies up to Crugretor's eye level.

"Tell me. Why man-folk out in dangerous forest?"

MarvinMartian
2010-07-23, 11:10 AM
Randolf

"Serves you right you foul evil beast attacking a poor defenseless child!"

With that he walks closer to the body and retrieves the three daggers stuck in its body and spits on it vehemently.

Turning to his fellow comrades - he says,

"We should get out of here before the fog cloud and glue affects clear. Perhaps we should also drag this one back to the Professor - may haps he can discover something from it?"

sciencepanda
2010-07-23, 11:19 AM
Boris gurgles unpleasantly as Randolf retrieves his daggers.

"That sounds like a good idea." agrees Telim. "Does anyone have any rope? It would probably be safer to the child if this monster is restrained."

CWater
2010-07-23, 02:41 PM
"I'm afraid I left mine at the inn", Irethírra says apologetically. She's lightly rubbing her hand that got hit by the monster-Boris's light beam.

Parlity
2010-07-23, 04:27 PM
Meeka takes out rope from her backpack and hands it to Randolf.

Doombringer
2010-07-24, 12:22 AM
:He saw the bright orange teeth and smiled: "I am out here because this is where my god has deemed me to wander and you look like a master craftsmen." :He said trying to make the little creature feel better.: "Why is the forest so dangerous here? " :the creature would note that he was an elf not a man folk as it were.:

sciencepanda
2010-07-24, 12:39 AM
You're over five times his height. He can't really distinguish between species all that well.

Grig stares at Crugretor gravely. "Strange things come. Grig not sure what they are. But Domovoi sees them. Domovoi says they not fae and look like man-folk. But not man-folk either. Domovoi says they hurt other domovoi, and hurt other man folk. So Grig build wall. Keep strange things away."

"Now, which direction you go, man-folk? Grig recommend stay away from strange things. They hurt you too, maybe."

Doombringer
2010-07-24, 12:47 AM
"You going to be okay out here Grig..by yourself?" :He said looking a little concerned before asking.: "I figured I will try to make my way to the closest town and bed down for the night.." :He shrugged:"I will simply ask Shalm to watch over you and I."

sciencepanda
2010-07-24, 12:55 AM
"Oh, Grig can take care of himself. But you nice guy. Grig will let you pass, if that is what you really want. Be careful of strange things."

Grig lands on the ground, and with a great deal of effort, pushes one of the rocks out of the way. He gestures for you to pass forward.

MarvinMartian
2010-07-24, 04:09 AM
Randolf nodding at Meeka's gesture, takes the rope and begins tying up the Boris. Well it appears that is what he is doing. He ties the creatures ankles together, wrapping the rope around its lower and upper legs - verily cocooning the monster in rope. Next he repeats the exercise with the creatures arm and upper torso. When completed he looks up at the others with a big grin.

Hopefully that'll hold the creature for now, but we should be quick about it. I don't want to remain out in the open any longer than necessary. Lets make our way back to the Professor.

sciencepanda
2010-07-24, 11:28 AM
Boris is surprisingly heavy. Far more heavy than something his size should be. But the four of you plus the human Boris are enough to lift it. Carrying the drooling mess, you steadily make your way back. Soon you are close enough to see the familiar odd dome shaped building.

Doombringer
2010-07-24, 09:31 PM
"Be safe friend.." :He then moved onward into the night carefully using the moonlight to keep hidden so lighting a torch was not needed. He made sure he kept ears and eyes open for those dangerous things he was warned of that might be lurking in the woods.:

sciencepanda
2010-07-24, 09:49 PM
Grig waves as Crugretor ventures off. He does not walk long, before discovering a campground of some kind. It consists of a large tent, and numerous smaller tents surrounding a smoldering campfire. There is a faint sound of speech coming from the larger tent, indicating that it is occupied.

Doombringer
2010-07-24, 10:21 PM
:He spotted a tent and looked about curious as to what was going on here. He would slowly move so he could use the light to see what was around but not to get caught. He tried to remain silent taking a peak around hoping these were not the things he was warned about.:

Parlity
2010-07-26, 12:45 AM
Meeka

"Ung." She holds onto the heavy Boris monster. "There'd the Professhor's house," she sputters.

sciencepanda
2010-07-26, 08:54 AM
You arrive at the Professor's house. As you step onto his front lawn, you hear a snarling sound from behind you...

---

A head pops out of the largest tent and faces Crugretor.

"Oh!" he says.

As he steps out of the tent, you can see that he is a tall elf, with pale green skin and dark brown hair. He is wearing a simple tunic and kilt constructed from what seems to be leather and tree bark, and has what appears to be a dear's antler attached to his right shoulderpad.

"I'm sorry," says the elf. "You just startled me, is all. I was not expecting visitors this late at night. But please, please come in."

MarvinMartian
2010-07-26, 09:29 AM
Randolf

Randolf drops the heavy monster. He simultaneously whirls around, a dagger already being drawn from his bandoleer, heart pounding, but ready for anything!

Dun..Dun..DUUNNNN!!!! Suspense!!! GRRR!!! JAY!!!! <-- yes I am torn between the two...

Doombringer
2010-07-26, 11:17 AM
:He looked to the elf and sighed a bit relieved but would keep his guard up not sure just what why the man would invite him in so quickly nervous about what he had been told.: "Sorry just not use to seeing tents this deep within the forest"

sciencepanda
2010-07-26, 12:13 PM
Upon closer viewing, you can see that the elf has dark circles under his eyes, as though he is nervous or has not been trancing properly.
He chuckles slightly at Crugretor's comment. "Well, we don't expect to be here long. We druids are nomadic folk. We travel wherever it is convenient."

He pauses and gives a downtrodden look.

"Unfortunately, we have had to camp here longer than expected, due to some...unfortunate circumstances. Our tribe's elder...my father, has taken ill, and I fear he is on his last breaths."

He tries his best to lighten up.

"But you are our guest! You do not deserve to have to listen to such depressing talk. Come. I assume you would like a place to stay the night? We have a fire and warm blankets. I assure you it is more comfortable than camping alone."

"You may call me Glenn, by the way."

Parlity
2010-07-26, 12:37 PM
Meeka

She drops the monster as Randolf draws his dagger. Grabbing her spear, she turns around to face the snarling noise.

Doombringer
2010-07-27, 07:43 PM
"Where is your father?" :He looked to the man his eyebrows furrowed and curious..it was his duty to mend any sickly to the best of his ability.: "I am skilled in the arts of healing..if you would allow me to take a look."

sciencepanda
2010-07-27, 08:38 PM
From atop a nearby roof, you can see the four Boris's, now escaped from the webbing. They stair down at you, illuminated by the glow from their eye tentacles.

---

Glenn gives a sad smile, and gestures for Crugretor to follow him into the tent. He leads you into an area sectioned off by curtains. The room smells heavily of incense, and there is a warm glow from a set of gently burning tallow candles. Lying on the floor under a set of warm quilt's is Glenn's father. The tribe's elder is thin and wispy, the green skin of his cheeks drawn against his lips. You can see that this is clearly an ancient creature. He has lived to see empires rise and then fall and die. The venerable elf slowly turns his head towards Glenn and draws his lips into a smile. In a voice so faint that you can barely hear it, he speaks.

"Hello son. Who is your friend?"

Doombringer
2010-07-27, 10:24 PM
"Do not fear me friend..I am here to help.." :He looks to the elder elf and smiles: "What has you so sick?" :He of course went about checking and looking over the man but a elf this old was clearly just waiting to become one with the forest or so it seemed..he checked him over once more just incase.:

Heal Check :
[roll0]

+7 so 17 total

sciencepanda
2010-07-28, 10:50 PM
The lead Boris leaps down from the roof, striding towards the travelers. With a growl, it steps on the long messy grass of the Professor's property...

With a blur, the Boris is suddenly slammed to the side. You cannot see the cause of it, but the Boris has now been decapitated.

The remaining Boris's look at each other in confusion. A second one comes down, gingerly onto the grass. Almost immediately, the talon is severed. With the limb missing, the monster falls upon the grass. For a second, you can see a blue-brown blur, and the second Boris is cleanly dissected--lengthwise.

One of the remaining Boris's flees. The other continues to stare down at you from the rooftop, not budging.

---

At the touch of Crugretor's magic, the elder's breathing becomes a little less forced, but there is no other visible change. The elder cannot help but chuckle slightly at this.

"Sonny, I've seen a lot of things in my life. I've wrestled with Gilgamesh. I've aided in the construction of the Great Tower. I've witnessed firsthand the meteor fall upon the Burning Lands. Let's face it: I'm old. I don't think a little magic is going to fix that. You seem like a good kid though. Here, why don't you have this."

Seemingly amused, the old elf pulls an object out of his pocket and hands it to Crugretor. It is a small pebble, as smooth as polished glass, with a doughnut-like hole in the center.

Glenn expresses surprise, "Father, when did you get one of..."

The elder once again chuckles. "I've been in bed all day, I need something to do with my hands don't I?"

The elder puts on a more serious face.

"I don't have much longer now. You will have to find a way to lead the tribe in my absence."

"B..but father! You know I do not have the gift to such a degree as you and the other tribesmen! I don't know if I am cut out for..."

The elder places his hand over Glenn's and smiles. "Son, I am certain you will make the right choice. Now, why don't you let me rest. I am old, and quite tired."

The elder turns onto his side and begins snoring loudly. With his face down-turned, Glenn gestures for Crugretor to follow him out of the tent.

"Come," he says, "Let's find a place for you to camp for the night."

Doombringer
2010-07-29, 07:14 AM
He looked to the stone and arched a curious brow taking the gift he frowned hearing the old man. "Rest well friend." He then left with Glenn knowing what was most likely going to happen through the night. "Your father seems like a good man... I am sure you will make him proud...just what is this though?" He looked to Glenn asking curiously not knowing what it could possiblly be and just why the man gave it to him nothing more than a stranger.

Parlity
2010-07-29, 11:58 AM
"P..professor is that you? Beware it has a long-distance attack." Meeka calls out, spear ready. She looks around nervously.

CWater
2010-07-29, 03:45 PM
Irethírra

She is momentarily stunned by the sudden events, but gets over it quickly and tries to figure out what is going on.

What...what did that? Was it the professor? ...Or that...construct servant of his? The latter did want to come with us earlier, but...

She looks around sharply, trying to see what defeated te Borises.

sciencepanda
2010-07-29, 04:28 PM
For a moment, Irethírra can see a small blue-ish shape near the dismembered corpse of one of the Boris's, but it quickly vanishes.

As you are trying to make sense of the situation Professor Eisenhardt bursts out of the house, a pair of magnifying goggles on his forehead and waving a scalpel around madly. 01-X follows in tow, trying to prevent the professor from injuring himself.

"What's all zis commotion about?!" he shouts, "I'm trying to get some work done, and you're all making such a racket..."

Seeing the bloody seen, he stops himself, his eyes glowing large. However, his shock is quickly replaced by a mad glee.

"Oh goodness! When I asked you to bring me a sample, I certainly did not expect you to bring me a specimen! This will do most well, most well indeed! Quickly now, help me bring them inside for study!"

He prods 01-X, who picks up the still-living Boris that you had captured. Eventually you manage to get to get them all inside the house. The ropes are removed from the surviving specimen, and it is bound to a table with leather straps.

---

Glenn examines the odd stone that his father has given you.

"Hmm. My father is always making little magical artifacts. He says it amuses him." Looking more closely, he adds, "This one, I believe, is called an Adder Stone. It can ward off certain diseases, and help purge poisons from the body. I think that's what it does, in any case. Father always did have more a knack for magic than I ever did."

Parlity
2010-07-29, 04:36 PM
Meeka looks out a window, keeping an eye on the remaining monstrous Boris.

spot [roll0]

sciencepanda
2010-07-29, 06:45 PM
Meeka can see the remaining Boris from the steady yellow glow of it's eyestalks. It sits atop the nearby roof, it's view fixated at the front door of Professor Eisenhardt's lab. It does not make the slightest movement, not even being nudged slightly by the wind.

CWater
2010-07-29, 07:22 PM
Irethírra helps dragging the monsters inside, but leaves them then into the professors hands, and joins Meeka by the window. The elf seems to be deep in her thoughts.

Parlity
2010-07-29, 07:26 PM
"That last one is keeping an eye on us." she sputters to Irethírra, keeping one hand over her mouth to stop the saliva.

sciencepanda
2010-07-29, 07:37 PM
The Boris continues to stair unmovingly, like some bizarre gargoyle.

The Bykanovs stand in the back, totally confused as to the situation. Young Dieter stares in fascination at 01-X, who stares back in fascination. Soon enough, he has placed the boy on his shoulders, and begins running about the back of the house, to Dieter's glee.

Throughout this, Professor Eisenhardt begins running tests on the Boris's, comparing them with each other and with the body of the sick woman.

With a puzzled look, he final states, "Hmm, same reaction as before..."

CWater
2010-07-29, 07:49 PM
"Hm?" Irethírra awakes from her contemplating. "...Yes, it does seem to do that."
I assume that Ire can see the Boris too if Meeka points it out to her.

"I wonder what the one who fleed did... I do hope it is not gathering reinforcements or anything to attack the house." Despite her concerned words the elfs voice bears no trace of emotion.
She leans slightly on the side of the window and, for the first time, views her companion properly.

Hard to say what species she is, or gender now that I think about it. I could ask, if I'd had the upbringing of a cave troll when it comes to manners that is.

Doombringer
2010-07-29, 09:07 PM
"I see an adder stone..I will remember to keep it close to myself always.." Crugretor then positioned himself on the ground and slowly closed his eyes to start his trance or meditation for the night. He would onlly wake if disturbed or if needed for some reason.:

sciencepanda
2010-07-29, 10:04 PM
With a loud CRREEEEEEEEEEK, Professor Eisenhardt pulls up an enormous microscope.

"Zis is veeeerry interesting," he says, "You may wish to have a look at zis."

Parlity
2010-07-30, 12:44 AM
"Yes. This is a worrisome situation. I'm glad we've come far and not died yet thanks to Telim healing Randolf." She grins at Irethirra with her snaggly toothed smile.

"What is that Professor?" Meeka walks to the Professor to look at the microscope.

sciencepanda
2010-07-30, 11:43 AM
The professor gives everyone interested a look through the microscope.

Through it, you see a series of translucent brown triangular shapes, swimming in a petri dish.

"Now zis," Professor Eisenhardt explains, "Is what seems to be the cells of one of ze monsters. Now look what happens if I add a sample of human tissue."

He adds a drop of blood from a pipette to the petri dish. You see a rounded blue structure through the microscope. Almost immediately, the triangles turn to face it. The triangles stab rapidly at the circle. This action causes the circle to wildly shrivel, and then wind itself around the triangle, until it is no longer visible.

"Now as you can see, the monster's cells do not feed off of or kill the host. Rather, they appear to function by subduing normal tissue, and converting it into almost a biological armor for them. Most unusual. Now what zis means is, in theory, that the people zat these creatures have taken over, are subdued, but still alive in their somewhere."

He turns away from the microscope and towards the body of the sick woman.

"Now from zis information, I have formulated a panacea that should separate ze human and inhuman tissue, and zerefore return ze victims to normal. Zat is ze theory, in any case. But look what happens when I try it."

With a frighteningly large syringe, he empties a murky fluid into the woman's bloodstream. The woman begins to sputter and cough loudly, black goo oozing from her mouth and ears. However, what happens following this is very strange.

The black ooze, begins to bubble slightly. Them tiny tendrils of the stuff extend out, and then back into the fluid. It begins retracting back into the woman's body, as if it is somehow pulling itself.

"It is almost as if ze virus has a degree of self awareness to it, and through this it can determine as to when it is being forced out of a body. But zis should be impossible. It is just a simple cellular structure. It does not possess any nervous tissue or anything like a brain. For the moment, at least I am baffled. My assumption, is that this level of control over it is supernatural in origin. I don't really know much about zat mystical mumbo-jumbo myself. Do you know anyone strong in the ways of magic who we might ask?"