PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Dervish Help

Regnir
2010-06-12, 02:09 PM
I'm looking for help in creating a TWF Dervish. My ideas are a Rogue/Swashbuckler/Dervish (with Daring Outlaw for Sneak) or I've heard that a Scout/Dervish can also be good.

Does anyone have any suggestions

Greenish
2010-06-12, 02:15 PM
Does anyone have any suggestionsI have one. Don't take Dervish. Make a Daring Outlaw or a Swift Hunter and call yourself a dervish.

Even better, play a Tiger Claw & Desert Wind focused Swordsage, you'll be much dervisher dervish than anyone with Dervish levels.

Cuaqchi
2010-06-12, 02:16 PM
Some Bard can also be nice if you can squeeze it. It specifically says you can use Bardic Music while in a Dervish Dance along with Song of the Heart and Dragonfire Inspiration you can build up some nice damage. Bard also has Perform (All) as class skills so you can take Perform (Sing) and Perform (Dance) from the 6+Int without losing too much that way.

PId6
2010-06-12, 02:53 PM
I have one. Don't take Dervish. Make a Daring Outlaw or a Swift Hunter and call yourself a dervish.

Even better, play a Tiger Claw & Desert Wind focused Swordsage, you'll be much dervisher dervish than anyone with Dervish levels.
Dervish is pretty good though. It's one of the few good ways to make non-ToB martial characters. The prereqs suck, but it has some awesome abilities to compensate. TWF Dervish is kinda bad though.

My suggestion:

Race: Wood Elf
Fighter 2/Warblade 3/Dervish 10/Eternal Blade 5

Take Power Attack, and use a falchion. You'll do good damage Power Attacking with falchion and you get to full attack while moving, which is the best part about Dervish.

The Dragonfire Bard suggestion is pretty good too, and does work with TWF, though the requirements can be difficult to swing due to all the feat requirements.

Race: Anything dragonblooded
Bard 4/Fighter 2/Dervish 10/Whatever 4

Take Dragonfire Inspiration and Song of the Heart (which you can trade Inspire Competence for). Look at handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8284.0) for more. You don't have nearly enough feats to change Dragonfire damage to sonic though, so immunities will hurt.

One character I had before for the gestalt warrior arena was a Thri-kreen Dervish with Multiweapon Fighting. He did ~15 attacks a round without A Thousand Cuts, and was very fun. Never did fight much with him, but it was awesome to build.

Edit: Apparently you can't Rage in a Dervish Dance. Taking out Barbarian dips then, I guess.

Claudius Maximus
2010-06-12, 03:01 PM
You can't rage during a Dervish Dance.

PId6
2010-06-12, 03:04 PM
You can't rage during a Dervish Dance.
Blech, how unfortunately. Editing.

Critical
2010-06-12, 03:06 PM
This. (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Octoman_(3.5e_Optimized_Character_Build))

PId6
2010-06-12, 03:10 PM
This. (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Octoman_(3.5e_Optimized_Character_Build))
Maybe it's just me, but I feel like Anthropomorphic Octopus Ur Priest might just be a bit extreme for most tables. Just a little. :P

Critical
2010-06-12, 03:41 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I feel like Anthropomorphic Octopus Ur Priest might just be a bit extreme for most tables. Just a little. :P
No Save to avoid the Awesome. :smallbiggrin:
Plus, on a side note, I highly doubt such build was made to be played. :P

PId6
2010-06-12, 03:44 PM
I guess it works perfectly well if your DM has a penchant for Japanese school girls...

KillianHawkeye
2010-06-12, 04:37 PM
I don't see where that build is even getting the ability to take iterative attacks with its tentacles in order to pull off its 48 attacks a round.

PId6
2010-06-12, 04:42 PM
I don't see where that build is even getting the ability to take iterative attacks with its tentacles in order to pull off its 48 attacks a round.
Rapidstrike maybe? :smallconfused:

Greenish
2010-06-12, 04:48 PM
I don't see where that build is even getting the ability to take iterative attacks with its tentacles in order to pull off its 48 attacks a round.Dandwiki maybe? :smallconfused:

PId6
2010-06-12, 04:55 PM
Dandwiki maybe? :smallconfused:
Okay, more likely, yes.

Pluto
2010-06-12, 05:04 PM
Multiweapon fighting from multiheaded. It's not attacking with its tentacles.

AstralFire
2010-06-12, 05:11 PM
Use whip daggers. This is a very old build I made circa same week CW came out, I'm sure it can be greatly improved.

01: Fighter 1: Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Whip), Dodge, Mobility
02: Fighter 2: Weapon Focus (Whip)
03: Fighter 3: Combat Expertise
04: Fighter 4: Two-Weapon Fighting
05: Fighter 4/Swashbuckler 1: Weapon Finesse
06: Fighter 4/Swashbuckler 1/Dervish 1: Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, AC Bonus, Movement Mastery, Dervish Dance 1/day (+1), Slashing Blades
07: Fighter 4/Swashbuckler 1/Dervish 1/Lasher 1: Whip Sneak Attack +1d6, Close Combat, Wound, Whiplash
08: Fighter 4/Swashbuckler 1/Dervish 2/Lasher 1: Fast Movement +5 ft.
09: Fighter 4/Swashbuckler 1/Dervish 2/Lasher 2: Oversized Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Trip, Third Hand
10: Fighter 4/Swashbuckler 1/Dervish 3/Lasher 2: Spring Attack, Dervish Dance 2/day (+2)
11: Fighter 4/Swashbuckler 1/Dervish 3/Lasher 3: Crack of Fate
12: Fighter 4/Swashbuckler 1/Dervish 4/Lasher 3: Greater Two-Weapon Fighting, Dance of Death
13: Fighter 4/Swashbuckler 1/Dervish 4/Lasher 4: Lashing Whip
14: Fighter 4/Swashbuckler 1/Dervish 5/Lasher 4: Fast Movement +10 ft, Dervish Dance 3/day (+3)
15: Fighter 4/Swashbuckler 1/Dervish 5/Lasher 5: Whip Sneak Attack +2d6, Hamstring
16: Fighter 4/Swashbuckler 1/Dervish 6/Lasher 5: Improved Reaction
17: Fighter 4/Swashbuckler 1/Dervish 7/Lasher 5: Elaborate Parry, Dervish Dance 4/day (+4)
18: Fighter 4/Swashbuckler 1/Dervish 8/Lasher 5: Weapon Specialization (Whip), Fast Movement +15 ft.
19: Fighter 4/Swashbuckler 1/Dervish 9/Lasher 5: Tireless Dance, Dervish Dance 5/day (+5)
20: Fighter 4/Swashbuckler 1/Dervish 10/Lasher 5: A Thousand Cuts

You may also go for Exotic Weapon Master 1 instead of Lasher 5, picking up Trip Attack, swapping out Hamstring for Arterial Strike. This gives you a +6 to trip rather than +4, though the enemy won't be as crippled.

When using A Thousand Cuts in a Dervish Dance, you get attacks according to the following:

+22/22/17/12/7/22/22/17/12/7 primary
+22/17/12/22/17/12 off-hand

Jarveiyan
2010-06-12, 06:58 PM
I've seen builds on the lines of Swashbuckler 3/ Fighter 2/ Dervish 10/X 5. The idea is to get intelligence to damage and use fighter to soak up the feat prereqs for the class. Most of those builds also include the use of scimitars (or in the case of my character grt. scimitars). My characters build was a "vanilla" ftr 5/ dervish 10/ tempest 5. As for suggestions there have already been some good ones.

PId6
2010-06-12, 07:05 PM
I've seen builds on the lines of Swashbuckler 3/ Fighter 2/ Dervish 10/X 5. The idea is to get intelligence to damage and use fighter to soak up the feat prereqs for the class. Most of those builds also include the use of scimitars (or in the case of my character grt. scimitars). My characters build was a "vanilla" ftr 5/ dervish 10/ tempest 5. As for suggestions there have already been some good ones.
Fighter 5. *twitch* Sorry, odd levels of fighter does that to me.