PDA

View Full Version : How much regen or fast healing can 1 get

Korivan
2010-06-12, 05:01 PM
As the title suggests, what combination of races/templates/classes/prc's/magic items can one get to have high regen/fast healing.

I have a friend that wants to make wolverine, wondering how to go about it.

AstralFire
2010-06-12, 05:22 PM
Feral Template is probably a good start.

Korivan
2010-06-12, 05:29 PM
Feral Template is probably a good start.

what book is it from

AstralFire
2010-06-12, 05:30 PM
Savage Species.

Jair Barik
2010-06-12, 05:35 PM
As far as I'm aware having multiple instance of either ability doesn't cause them to stack, you'd just have the highest of them. Not sure of you can stack regen on fast healing either (or should that be the other way round?)

KillianHawkeye
2010-06-12, 05:37 PM
I don't see any reason why you can't have both regeneration and fast healing.

Jack_Simth
2010-06-12, 06:05 PM
As the title suggests, what combination of races/templates/classes/prc's/magic items can one get to have high regen/fast healing.

I have a friend that wants to make wolverine, wondering how to go about it.

Let's see... you probably don't want to be undead, but the Evolved Undead template (Libris Mortis, LA+1) is self-stacking, and grants fast-healing 3. Tack it on top of a Necropolitan (LA+0, but costs you a level and some XP, and some GP, to gain the template) and you've got as much fast healing as you're willing to pay for.

Otodetu
2010-06-12, 06:34 PM
Having fast heal and regeneration at the same time is great, regen makes it so you are safe from simply dying, it's just sub-dual damage after all, and if you do get lethal damage then the fast healing makes it all fine again.

SurlySeraph
2010-06-12, 08:09 PM
Feral Human with Toughness and Troll-Blooded (from Dragon #319), Healing Devotion, Combat Focus, and Combat Vigor should be a good start. Consult the List of Stuff (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871954/Lists_of_Stuff) for more and decide what'll fit best.

Eldariel
2010-06-12, 08:38 PM
Far as I understand, Fast Healing heals both, nonlethal and lethal damage so it works perfectly with Regeneration if some penetrate your Reg and some don't; twice the healing. Also, best Fast Healing source is probably Wildshape (Enhanced Wildshape or Extraordinary Wildshape) into 12-Headed Hydra for 24, but that's not precisely a Wolverine lookalike. So yeah, I'd go the lines everyone else has suggested, with Feral Troll-Blooded.

Draz74
2010-06-12, 09:30 PM
Ardent/Sangehirn can rack up some pretty crazy Fast Healing at high levels, but it won't be passively at work 24/7. Not quite as ... aggressive as Wolverine, either.

A level in Dragon Shaman is an easy way to boost your Fast healing by +1, if the DM rules that different sources stack. It only works when you're under half health, but hey, it works on your party too!

Escheton
2010-06-12, 10:02 PM
The is a feat in fiendish codex 2 that gives you 1 extra regen.
Stacks with itself too.

Demons_eye
2010-06-12, 10:07 PM
There is a vestige that gives you fast healing based on Binder level. There is another that gives ability regen.

Volthawk
2010-06-13, 07:08 AM
Templates that give fast healing:

Half-Troll (Scrag version only works in water, but standard works normally) - Fiend Folio.

Half-Vampire - Libris Mortis

Shadow Creature - Lords of Madness.

Vivacious Creature - Planar Handbook.

Vampires - Core.

Dry Lich (in arid conditions) - Sandstorm.

Evolved Undead (you can take it several times too, and it stacks) - Libris Mortis.

Stained Glass Half-Golems - MMII

Saint - BoED

Monster of Legend - MMII

Some of those have hefty LA though.

2xMachina
2010-06-13, 07:44 AM
Dry lich also automatically turns his surrounding arid. Walker in the waste is a good way to get it with no LA.

Grumman
2010-06-13, 07:52 AM
Something else to consider: Crusaders and Hellreavers get tons of healing as long as they're in combat.

Person_Man
2010-06-13, 01:02 PM
As Grumman mentioned, Hellreaver can get up to 30 points per round as a Swift Action. Your standard King of Smack build can get 50% of it's base claw damage healed every round via Claws of the Vampire, which can be ridiculously high. Neither is Fast Healing per se, but both essentially mimic it, and more effectively.

kestrel404
2010-06-13, 05:47 PM
Here's a possible Wolverine

Feral Human Crusader
Feats: Toughness & Troll-blooded at 1st level, Combat Focus, Combat Stability, and Combat Vigor (at 3, 6 & 9)
At 1st Level (2nd after LA), you have Fast Healing 2, Regen 1, Delayed Damage 5
At 9th level (10th with LA), you have Fast Healing 8, Regen 1, Delayed Damage 15

Both FH and Regen work just fine with the Crusader's delayed damage pool - FH & Regen state that it is considdered to be healing applied at the beginning of your turn, and delayed damage states that you may choose to apply any healing you receive to either the delayed damage pool or actual damage. So no loss of FH just because the damage hasn't been applied yet.

As an idea for the background: Born in the Icy North, young Logan came to the attention of a Wizard due to his part-troll ancestry. Seeking to enhance this regenerative trait, the wizard experimented on Logan, adding more trollish traits (and applying the Feral template). Logan manages to escape... and character history start here as normal. Add amnesia and various enemies to taste.

Additional ideas: A one level dip in Warblade, plus a two level dip in Fighter (for the feats), followed by entry into the Master of Nine prestige class, would be pretty sweet, but only if you've got the spare Attributes to put a 14 in Int (for 4 skill points per level). This is much easier if you DM allows flaws, otherwise you'll have to give up the Combat Focus/Stability/Vigor (and therefore fast healing 4) to manage this short of 18th level.

Hope that helps.

Marriclay
2010-06-13, 05:52 PM
ooh! if you have a feat or three free, you can take rapid regeneration! it improves your regen by 1 every time it's taken

Optimystik
2010-06-13, 06:16 PM
The Saint Template grants Fast Healing = 1/ 2 hit dice (up to 10). It doesn't stack though.

For Valor
2010-06-13, 06:30 PM
Actually, I'm kind of interested--are there any races that potentially give Fast Healing? The only one I know of is the [Tome]-style Elf Variant (http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Elf%2C_Variant_%283.5e_Race%29) homebrew with Vigor as the Flavorful ability, and that hardly counts.

Amel
2010-06-14, 10:28 PM
are there any races that potentially give Fast Healing?
I think it might depend on just what "races" the DM would allow the player to choose from. I one could play a troll for instance, I believe that would provide a good starting point.

Flickerdart
2010-06-14, 11:00 PM
Dry lich also automatically turns his surrounding arid. Walker in the waste is a good way to get it with no LA.
Isn't that the only way to become a Dry Lich? Only a Walker can create the canopic jars or some such.

2xMachina
2010-06-15, 03:19 AM
Hmm, so it would appear...

I've been hearing that WiTW gets Dry Lich without LA, and the template has a +5...

Hadrian_Emrys
2010-06-15, 04:19 AM
Heh, a Mineral Warrior (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20031003e) Razorclaw Shifter with the Troll Blooded feat with flaw use (if your DM will let you replace Earth Strike with the ability to treat your claw attacks as adamantine for the purposes of bypassing DR and hardness) wouldn't break the game while giving you regen, dr/adanantine, and activated claws that cut most any material. Not the most powerful build, but pretty accurate for the cost.

Volthawk
2010-06-15, 09:38 AM
Hmm, so it would appear...

I've been hearing that WiTW gets Dry Lich without LA, and the template has a +5...

The example Dry Lich has the +5 LA on his statblock, so I think maybe they do take the LA. Then again, it may just be a statblock error.

Amel
2010-06-16, 04:05 AM
Heh, a Mineral Warrior (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20031003e) Razorclaw Shifter with the Troll Blooded feat with flaw use (if your DM will let you replace Earth Strike with the ability to treat your claw attacks as adamantine for the purposes of bypassing DR and hardness) wouldn't break the game while giving you regen, dr/adanantine, and activated claws that cut most any material. Not the most powerful build, but pretty accurate for the cost.

Beautiful! Just augment this build with magic items and you're all set to go! Snikt, snikt!

Jair Barik
2010-06-16, 04:17 AM
The only way to come a Dry Lich is through the PrC capstone. That said the given one also lists +5LA in addition to the levels making it seem a pretty poor capstone if we are being honest. Personally as a DM I'd rule it like Dragon Disciple, the capstone gives you the template for no LA. Admittedly the funniest 'error' on the sample Dry Lich is that the base creature is an asherati. This means in its stat block it lists two amusing traits.
1-the lich can survive on 1/4 of the water a normal human needs. Being submerged weakens it and it drowns much faster but it still needs to drink to survive. These are asherati traits that it keeps.
2-the lich treats all water as if it were holy water....

I realise undead don't need to eat or drink but I find it amusing they keep the asherati racial traits word for word in the stat block. Also this makes an excellent anticlimactic villain as you can literally weaken/kill it by chucking buckets of water on it.

faceroll
2010-06-16, 06:20 AM
Let's see... you probably don't want to be undead, but the Evolved Undead template (Libris Mortis, LA+1) is self-stacking, and grants fast-healing 3. Tack it on top of a Necropolitan (LA+0, but costs you a level and some XP, and some GP, to gain the template) and you've got as much fast healing as you're willing to pay for.

Go LA +0 warforged, Incarnate Construct (savage species), gain the giant type, then pick up gravetouched ghoul. Every time you are 3,000 xp past level 4, buy off another Evolved Undead template.

Tyger
2010-06-16, 07:55 AM

Jack, this one is coming up in my upcoming one-shot game, and I am not certain of the stacking on the fast healing. While the stat bonuses are clearly +2 and untyped, the fast healing just says you gain fast healing 3. It doesn't say it adds to your existing, or that it is a bonus... and the general rule is that if youhave a bonus from the same source, it doesn't stack.

Thoughts?

balistafreak
2010-06-16, 07:59 AM
You gain the ability Fast Healing 3. When you stack the template, you gain Fast Healing 3. Again.

So no, it doesn't stack. Sorry.

Tyger
2010-06-16, 08:02 AM
You gain the ability Fast Healing 3. When you stack the template, you gain Fast Healing 3. Again.

So no, it doesn't stack. Sorry.

That's my thinking as well.