PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Void Reaper Prg Class (PEACH)

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-12, 06:09 PM
I originally did this class for the Prg class contest, but sadly I coudln't finnish in time for the dead line.
Anyway here I present you my first homebrewed class the:

Void Reaper

I have stared into the void, now I wield it
Gaoru Somnium. Void Reaper

Void Reapers are warrior spell casters, whose powers come from a deep connection to the void, a plane completely devoid of anything, the void itself destroy anything that somehow reaches it. As such the Void Reapers channel such destructive power in the form of negative energy, while they are potent spell caster their strengths lies on engaging enemies face to face and sending them to void.

Becoming a VOID REAPER

The path of the Void Reaper is one filled with challenge, strife and death, not many seek the power of the void; but the one who do seek the void, receive a power beyond their kin. As warrior spellcasters, Void Reapers need to know how to handle the weapons of men. As such many void reapers start their careers as Duskblades, since the training provides both the martial background and the academic knowledge to research the void; upon there they need to expand their horizon to the Dread Necromancer arts, since an intimate knowledge of the Negative energy is needed to become one. Upon there they might branch once again into the Wizardry arts, but most of the prospective Reapers continue the path of Dread Necromancy before taking the mantle of Void Reaper.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Aligment: Any Non-good
Base Attack Bonus:+3
Spellcasting: Able to cast 2rd level arcane spells.
Skills: Knowledge (Arcana) 8 Ranks, Knowledge (The Planes) 2 ranks.
Special: Charnel Touch class feature
Weapon Proficiency: Must be proficient in all martial weapons

Class Skills
The Class Name's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance(Dex) Craft (Int) , Concentration (Con),Disguise (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (Arcana) (Int) Knowledge, (Religion) (Int), Knowledge (The Planes) (Int), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Tumble (Dex)
Skills Points at Each Level: 4 + int

Hit Dice: d8

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells per Day

1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+2|Void Touch|-

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+3|Void Channelling|+1 existing class level

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+3|Shadow of the Void (1d4)|+1 existing class level

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+4|Light Fortification25% |+1 existing class level

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+4| Void Weapon|+1 existing class level

6th|
+6|
+5|
+2|
+5|Second Shadow of the Void (1d6)|+1 existing class level

7th|
+7|
+5|
+2|
+7 |Medium Fortification 50% |+1 existing class level

8th|
+8|
+6|
+2|
+6|Void Aura|+1 existing class level

9th|
+9|
+6|
+3|
+6|Final Shadow of the void (1d8)|+1 existing class level

10th|
+10|
+7|
+3|
+7|Engulfing Void|[/table]

Class Features

Weapon Proficiencies : A Void Reaper gains no new armor or weapon proficiencies

Spellcasting: At every Void Reaper level except 1st and 10th, you gain new spells per day and an increase in caster level (and spell known, if applicable) as if you had also ganied a level in a spellcasting class you belonged before you added the prestige class. You do not, however, gain any othe class benefit a character of that class would have gained. If you da more than one spellcasting class before becoming a Void Reaper, you must decide to wich class to add each dlevel for the purpose of determining spells per day.

Void Touch (Su):The mastery of necromantic energies has allowed you to damage your enemies even more, your Void Reaper level stack with your Dread Necromancer levels to determine the damage done by your charnel touch ability, in addition you can add your CHA mod (if positive) as bonus damage to your charnel touch.

Void Channelling (Su): You now are more knowledgeable about the manipulation and usage of the negative energies. As a standard action a Void Reaper can deliver spells from the school of necromancy or his void touch ability through his weapon, provided that the spells have a casting time of a standard action or less. A hit deals the normal damage of the weapon and deliver the spell. Casting in this Manner doesn’t provoke attacks of Opportunity.

Shadow of the Void (Su): As Your ever growing connection to the void, grants you the ability to drain the vitality of your enemies. As a standard action you can make an attack at your full attack bonus, if it hits you can deal 1d4 STR or DEX (your choice) ability damage and you gain a profane bonus equal to the damage dealt to the corresponding ability score; the profane bonus you can receive from this ability caps at + 4 and last for a number of rounds equal to 4+Cha modifier. You can use this ability a total number of times equal to half your class level + Cha modifier.

Void Weapon (Su):Your mastery over the energies of the void increases once more, by infusing your weapon with a tiny bit of the void, every blow you land of them rob a bit of their vitality. At 5th level, choose a single weapon with which you are proficient; once made, this choice cannot be changed. While wielding a weapon of the chosen type, you may spend a swift action at the start of your turn to deal a single negative level with every successful attack until the start of your next turn. This ability may be used a number of times per day equal to 1/2 your class level + your Cha modifier

Second Shadow of the Void (Su): The ability damage dealt by your Shadow of the Void ability increases to 1d6, in addition the profane bonus you receive is now capped at +6.

Light Fortification: The negative energies that course through your body strengthen it, now you are quire adept at resisteing attacks that might cripple lesser beings; you gain 25 % resistance to critical hits; this is the equivalent of the Light Fortification armor special ability described on the page 217 of the DMG. At 7th level the fortification increases to 50 %.

Void Aura (Su): Your delving into the void power has allowed to project the everlasting hunger of the void. Starting at level 8, as a free action you can radiate a 5-foot radius aura. Enemies in the Aura must succeed a will save (DC 10 +1/2 your class level + your Cha modifier) or receive half the damage they have dealt at the end of their turn. A creature who successfully saves cannot be affected by that Void Reaper’s Void Aura for 24 hours.

Final Shadow of the Void (Su): The damage dealt by your Shadow of the Void ability increased to 1d8, the profane bonus you receive for using this ability is capped at +8.

Engulfing Void (Su): You have reached total and complete understaning about the ebb and flow of the energies of the void, and as such you may strike your enemies, sending them into the void as it slowly engulfs their sense of self, once the void completely engulfs them, they are lost forever. 5 times per day you may invoke all the power of the void into your weapon, if you hit your enemy with your weapon it must make a Fort Save (DC=20 +Cha modifier) or start being engulfed by the void. During this state the enemy cannot cast spells, or activate magic items; and it is unable to distinguish ally from foe. The victim is also dealt 1 point of Wisdom drain for every round in this state, when the victim’s Wisdom reaches 0 it is completely engulfed by the void and it is lost forever.
The victim may attempt a Will save (DC equal to Engulfing Void’s DC) to stop the effect, doing so renders the victim immune to the Void Reaper’s Engulfing Void for a day. On a failure the victim may reattempt the check on its turn as an standar action. The engulfing void is neither a curse nor a disease and as such it cannot be cured like those. To finish the state restoration, heal or greater restoration must be casted on the victim. To recover the wisdom drain a separate restoration spell is needed.
Also only powerful magic such as true resurrection, miracle or wish , can recover someone who was completely engulfed by the Void

Playing a Void Reaper
“Everything seemed to wither or rot when near that guy, I am sure I wouldn’t like to encounter him in battle” Nameless warrior after seeing a Void Reaper on the battlefield
You are one of the few persons in the world capable of wielding the power that comes from the void, in contrast to other spell caster and specially other necromancers you do not choose to stand in the sidelines letting your allies (or minions) do the fighting for you. You wade into battle without fear. You strive to finally be able to become one with the void.

Combat: You are not a feeble spell caster who stands in the sidelines letting your allies (an minions) do the fighting for you, instead you wade into battle eager to show your enemies the true terror of fighting the Void itself. At the earliest levels of the class your charnel touch ability might prove more effective than your weapons; but as you rise in power you learn to mesh your spell casting and your weapon techniques in one unique style. In contrast to other spell caster warrior you doesn’t use your magic to make yourself stronger, instead you use it to rob your enemies from their strength and dexterity, before level 3 you rely on your spell casting to effectively weaken your enemies but as soon as you get your shadow of the void ability you can start damaging your foes while making yourself stronger. At higher levels you get increased benefits from the shadow of the void ability, now it is easier to leave your foes unable to move while you finish them.
Despite your increased melee abilities it is not wise to forget you have the power of magic at your hands, an enemy who has been hit with a ray of enfeeblement is much less of a threat than a fresh enemy.
Despite your increased knowledge and mastery of the manipulation and use of negative energy, you can still make good use of reanimated minions; your Void touch ability even helps to maintain your minions in good condition so they can fight alongside you.
At the pinnacle of your path you unlock the power that is the engulfing Void, while a powerful effect it is in your best interest that you don’t forget that you can only use it a limited amount of times per day, but even though not many enemies can resist the effects for long time, as for every time they fail the save it increases in difficulty.

So PEACH

Protecar
2010-06-12, 07:50 PM
Hmmm...I like the class--but it seems too powerful for most mage class. No lie, I'd really love a d8 9/10 casting class: but it seems out of sorts. And although it seems like it has some melee-applicable magic-abilities, it doesn't seem to be a gish-y PrC. I mean, full BaB, 2/3 good saves and 9/10 spell progression + void goodies seems like too much. I'd say maybe make it a 1 good save school(having a powerful will or fortitude sounds like it would be necessary when dealing with the void). Also, maybe 1/2 BaB and kill spell progression to maybe 6/10 or 8/10 and make the first level not progress spell casting.

Honestly, I'd love to take the PrC as is, but I don't think most DMs would go for it.

I like the flavor of the class though! I'd love to see if you have more ideas like these. :smallbiggrin:

--hope this helps

UndeadCleric
2010-06-12, 11:38 PM
I agree with the above poster about how powerful the class is but not how to fix it. I think that that the saves and BAB are needed. Myabe lower the spell progression to 7/10? Also the final ability seems cool but I dont really understand the thing with the saves and spells. Your saying that a will or a fort save works to prevent that ability? And that the ability is not a curse or a disease but can be cured as such? What?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-15, 03:23 PM
Sorry for make you waitng, I am going to answe questions right now.

Hmmm...I like the class--but it seems too powerful for most mage class. No lie, I'd really love a d8 9/10 casting class: but it seems out of sorts. And although it seems like it has some melee-applicable magic-abilities, it doesn't seem to be a gish-y PrC. I mean, full BaB, 2/3 good saves and 9/10 spell progression + void goodies seems like too much. I'd say maybe make it a 1 good save school(having a powerful will or fortitude sounds like it would be necessary when dealing with the void). Also, maybe 1/2 BaB and kill spell progression to maybe 6/10 or 8/10 and make the first level not progress spell casting.

Honestly, I'd love to take the PrC as is, but I don't think most DMs would go for it.

I like the flavor of the class though! I'd love to see if you have more ideas like these

I made the class thinking on spontaneous spellcasters (I don't know about a prepared class that uses Cha as a casting stat) and therefore I wanted to let them get their 9th spells; but if people think that the void goodies are good enough to warrant lost CL (which seems to be the concensus) maybe I'll knock it down to 8/10 casting.

Half BAB is CRIPPLING to a gish class so I would say no to reducing BAB, saves... I am not sure I wish there was something like average save progression but alas it is no.

I agree with the above poster about how powerful the class is but not how to fix it. I think that that the saves and BAB are needed. Myabe lower the spell progression to 7/10? Also the final ability seems cool but I dont really understand the thing with the saves and spells. Your saying that a will or a fort save works to prevent that ability? And that the ability is not a curse or a disease but can be cured as such? What?

The final ability means you can't do anything but try to save against it every round, and about not being a curse or disease.. it is a typo will fix it now.

I think that 7/10 is too much, an 8/10 feels better at least IMO, also how about changing the pre-requisites to BAB +4, second level arcane spells, charnel touch and proficiency in all martial weapons, this knocks of entry level to 6 and gives you 5 more level to play with pre-epic.

Edit: I am also thinking on maybe putting light fortification at level 4 and increasing it to medium fortification at 7th level (I hate dead levels) thoughts?

mootoall
2010-08-31, 10:04 PM
I've not seen any posts about this, but how are you supposed to be proficient with all martial weapons and be a DN (for Charnel touch) without multiclassing beforehand? It seems a bit much to ask for a two-class requirement or wasting feats with martial weapon proficiencies.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-09-01, 07:50 PM
I've not seen any posts about this, but how are you supposed to be proficient with all martial weapons and be a DN (for Charnel touch) without multiclassing beforehand? It seems a bit much to ask for a two-class requirement or wasting feats with martial weapon proficiencies.

Most Gish prestige classes require a bit of multiclassing to get their benefits, the intended entry for this class is Duskblade 1/Dread Necromancer 4.

I specifically made this class to be a good option for a Dread Necromancer who wants to melee more reliably, if you look closer at most of the abilities they try to allow a Dread Necromancer to buff himself to go toe-on toe with other frontliners.

Hope that clears things up

Milskidasith
2010-10-02, 07:14 PM
Standard action for 1d8 ability damage: Weak.

First level: Not really anything to entice anybody to enter. Maybe add a class feature there, however minor, besides stacking with the intended entry?

Void Weapon: This definitely shouldn't have a limitation for one type of weapon (because it doesn't really make sense and doesn't effectively do anything but limit versatility), needs a duration, and needs to be nerfed. You can get *massive* amounts of negative levels off. As a capstone, this would be awesome, but as a multiple-times-per-day ability at low levels of the PrC, it's a very huge benefit if you have ways of hitting multiple times.

Void Aura: Remake it. Punishing enemies for dealing damage is a bad thing.

Engulfing Void: This is very, very weak. It's essentially a fort+will save or... be sort of incapacitated for a while? It hurts spellcasters, but assuming you meant magic items you activate, not stuff like +5 armor, it doesn't do a thing to most martial classes and only kills them after a massive number of rounds. Not to mention immunity to drain renders the whole thing rather pointless.

It's worse than phantasmal killer, and that's a pretty weak spell.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-02, 07:23 PM
Standard action for 1d8 ability damage: Weak.

First level: Not really anything to entice anybody to enter. Maybe add a class feature there, however minor, besides stacking with the intended entry?

Void Weapon: This definitely shouldn't have a limitation for one type of weapon (because it doesn't really make sense and doesn't effectively do anything but limit versatility), needs a duration, and needs to be nerfed. You can get *massive* amounts of negative levels off. As a capstone, this would be awesome, but as a multiple-times-per-day ability at low levels of the PrC, it's a very huge benefit if you have ways of hitting multiple times.

Void Aura: Remake it. Punishing enemies for dealing damage is a bad thing.

Engulfing Void: This is very, very weak. It's essentially a fort+will save or... be sort of incapacitated for a while? It hurts spellcasters, but assuming you meant magic items you activate, not stuff like +5 armor, it doesn't do a thing to most martial classes and only kills them after a massive number of rounds. Not to mention immunity to drain renders the whole thing rather pointless.

It's worse than phantasmal killer, and that's a pretty weak spell.

I see, thanks for bringing these points to my atention, but what are your overal thoughts on the class?