PDA

View Full Version : Firefox Issue... Help? (Fixed. Ignore)

The Dark Fiddler
2010-06-12, 07:28 PM
Alright folks, I feel kind of bad making a thread just for my computer problem, but the only general help thread I could find was way past the necromancy cutoff so... yeah.

Anyway, I have a problem with Firefox running on my Vista laptop. Everytime I try to copy anything from Firefox (Ctrl+C or right click > Copy), it crashes. Not really super urgent, but annoying. I was wondering if anybody could help and if anybody had the same problem (perhaps it's even a problem in the latest edition?). More information available upon request, because I was kinda scarce here (although I'm not the best tech guy, so anything that would be less than obvious to procure may require instructions).

Thanks in advance, helpful folks of the Playground.

Samurai Jill
2010-06-13, 05:51 PM
Not sure this forum's the best place to look for tech support. I've no idea what the problem might be- sorry.

raitalin
2010-06-13, 05:52 PM
Have you tried updating and/or reinstalling firefox?

Eloi
2010-06-13, 05:54 PM
This is a really tough to solve problem so I suggest the following:
1. Go to Google.
2. Search for 'Google Chrome'.
3. Go to the appropriate download page.
4. Download Google Chrome.
5. ???
6. Google Chrome!

Shas aia Toriia
2010-06-13, 06:17 PM
1. Go to Google.
5. ???
6. Google Chrome!

Hi, I'm Shas, and I approve of this message.

Lupy
2010-06-13, 07:29 PM
@ ^ and ^^ Lies! Firefox is the one true Brower!

Uninstall and reinstall Firefox. Be sure you have 3.6.3

Eloi
2010-06-13, 07:31 PM

Uninstall and reinstall Firefox. Be sure you have 3.6.3

OR you can just install Google Chrome and save yourself a step.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-06-13, 07:35 PM
Yeah, problem kinda fixed itself. Sorry for wasting your time everybody.

lesser_minion
2010-06-13, 07:46 PM
1. Go to Google.
5. ???
6. Completely fail to profit!

FTFY. Firefox --> Chrome is not an upgrade in the slightest.

And it's hardly a "really tough to solve" issue. You don't know until you've tried.

Yeah, problem kinda fixed itself. Sorry for wasting your time everybody.

Isn't it kind of unfair to ninja people like that?

Well, for reference, the usual procedure for any crash amounts to:

Make sure that other programs that could be using the same services/daemons/libraries work. See if disabling plugins/extensions/userjs/usercss fixes the issue Make sure you're running the latest version Make sure your computer is clean (run a scan using a good AV suite and using MBAM) See if the problem can be fixed by a 'repair' install See if the problem can be fixed by a clean install.

While it's (IMHO) better than Safari or Chrome, it's anything but "the one true Browser".

Eloi
2010-06-13, 07:53 PM
FTFY. Firefox --> Chrome is not an upgrade in the slightest.

And it's hardly a "really tough to solve" issue. You don't know until you've tried.

I was being sarcastic/snarky when I said it was 'really hard problem to solve' and I acknowledge its not an upgrade, but I do honestly recommend Google Chrome.

lesser_minion
2010-06-13, 07:59 PM
I was being sarcastic/snarky when I said it was 'really hard problem to solve' and I acknowledge its not an upgrade, but I do honestly recommend Google Chrome.

When Google start introducing reasonable security measures, start introducing reasonable user experience customisation, and start registering Chrome properly (it registers itself as a "common or garden app" at the moment), then I might recommend it for a small subset of users.

For now, it's nothing special. Everything it does is available elsewhere, and usually either better or "well enough".

Eloi
2010-06-13, 08:56 PM
When Google start introducing reasonable security measures, start introducing reasonable user experience customisation, and start registering Chrome properly (it registers itself as a "common or garden app" at the moment), then I might recommend it for a small subset of users.

For now, it's nothing special. Everything it does is available elsewhere, and usually either better or "well enough".

Yes but all I care about is that its fast and able to support a large amount of tabs without crashing. No other browser I've used has done that.

Jokasti
2010-06-13, 09:17 PM
I for one welcome our Google overlords.

Worira
2010-06-13, 09:29 PM
How many tabs are we talking about here? Because I can run 10+ without problems in Firefox.

Eloi
2010-06-13, 09:33 PM
How many tabs are we talking about here? Because I can run 10+ without problems in Firefox.

40+ all with videos and image-intensive sites.

Mando Knight
2010-06-13, 10:14 PM
I run into bandwidth problems before I run into Firefox problems, really.

bluewind95
2010-06-13, 11:05 PM

I've had over 200 tabs open on Firefox, no crashing. And that was only on one window. I had some more in other windows. Curse TVTropes.

Samurai Jill
2010-06-14, 05:28 AM
While it's (IMHO) better than Safari or Chrome, it's anything but "the one true Browser".
To be honest, I mainly use Safari because it fits with the Mac OS 'look and feel' better, and generally has a tighter UI design. I know it has no great advantages in terms of basic functionality or security measures.

lesser_minion
2010-06-14, 06:37 AM

Many. I run into signal problems well before Opera shows any sign of actually caring.

Why are we having a tabs arms race anyway?

No good browser will need to allocate so much memory for a single tab that it will run into heap issues, and parts of the tab's thread or process can be freed up as more of it is ready to be drawn.

Inactive tabs and the memory cache can be paged out to hard disk if necessary.

There's no obvious reason why opening lots of tabs would ever cause an issue.