PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Best 1 hour / Caster Level Spells?

ChrisDemilich
2010-06-12, 11:10 PM
Other than Mage Armor and Overland Flight, what other 1 hour per caster level are really great?

dextercorvia
2010-06-12, 11:16 PM
Rope Trick. Also, there is a Druid spell which boosts Wis for I think Hour/level.

Edit: Greater Prying Eyes

Eldariel
2010-06-12, 11:18 PM
Only 1 hour/level? What about 24 hours or 1 day/level or Extended 12 hours or such? Also, for what purpose? From which sources? Greater Magic Weapon and Magic Vestment are obviously stellar. Contingency is obviously absolute key to survival. There's more in other sources, and even in Core once you specify the criteria a bit more.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-06-12, 11:19 PM
Heart of Air/Water/Earth/Fire. Air's only good if you have the other 3 up.
Superior Resistance
Anticipate Teleportation (assuming you're counting 24 hour spells)

dextercorvia
2010-06-12, 11:22 PM
If we are allowing 24 hour -- Create Magic Tatoo.

And hour/level Phantom Steed.

nargbop
2010-06-12, 11:59 PM
+1 Create Magic Tattoo from the Spell Compendium. Cheap, easy. I have a warweaver now that dedicates three slots per day for twenty-four magic tattoos.

Easy lookup utility page : http://www.imarvintpa.com/dndlive/FindSpell.php

PId6
2010-06-13, 12:03 AM
Elemental Body (SC) is one of my favorites, giving lots and lots of immunities as well as providing a decent amount of versatility. Truly a stellar spell.

Thinker
2010-07-27, 08:54 PM
Any chance at persisting? What about DMM limitations?

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-07-27, 09:07 PM
Someone already covered the Heart of Element spells, so I'll throw mine down to (Greater) Luminous Armor. Better than (Greater) Mage Armor, lasts the same amount of time, provides light, and actually works with Abjurant Champion.

JeminiZero
2010-07-27, 09:13 PM
Adept Spirit: CL boost on demand.

Divine Insight: Skill boost on demand. Stacks with Guidance of the Avatar, and the 2 spells combined can turn a Cleric into a limited skill monkey.

Prodan
2010-07-27, 09:18 PM
Let us remember Unseen Servant, Mage Armor, and False Life.

Dr Bwaa
2010-07-28, 12:54 AM
Someone already covered the Heart of Element spells, so I'll throw mine down to (Greater) Luminous Armor. Better than (Greater) Mage Armor, lasts the same amount of time, provides light, and actually works with Abjurant Champion.

This. GLA is super great (just carry a wand of lesser restoration or find a way to eliminate the sacrifice cost). Also
Energy Absorbtion. Superior Resistance. Greater Magic Weapon/Vestment.
Some of these might be 1 day duration, etc. I don't remember.

Andion Isurand
2010-07-28, 01:01 AM
Adept Spirit: CL boost on demand.

Divine Insight: Skill boost on demand. Stacks with Guidance of the Avatar, and the 2 spells combined can turn a Cleric into a limited skill monkey.

Cloistered Cleric with Bardic Knack variant (PHB2) can help too. :smallbiggrin:

Evil the Cat
2010-07-28, 05:05 PM
Missed 2 of my favorites.

Mind Blank (24 hours)

And its little brother, Disobedience.

I really like disobedience since you still get the mental commands and can pretend to go along with it.

Flickerdart
2010-07-28, 05:14 PM
This. GLA is super great (just carry a wand of lesser restoration or find a way to eliminate the sacrifice cost). Also
Energy Absorbtion. Superior Resistance. Greater Magic Weapon/Vestment.
Some of these might be 1 day duration, etc. I don't remember.
Superior Resistance is 24hr, which is great because you only have to spend a slot on it every other day if you Extend it.

Runeclaw
2010-07-28, 06:44 PM
Also, there is a Druid spell which boosts Wis for I think Hour/level.

Really? Do you know the name or source?

Siosilvar
2010-07-28, 06:45 PM
Really? Do you know the name or source?

Owl's Insight, SpC. More info coming as I look it up...

Edit: Druid 5, Duration 1 hour, Insight bonus to Wisdom equal to 1/2 caster level.

In about as many words.

ericgrau
2010-07-28, 06:52 PM
delay poison
We can fix it later!... as only a 2nd level spell. Put on a scroll if possible and never be caught unprepared.
false life, especially empowered, is one of my favs
forcecage
moment of prescience
phantom steed
240 foot speed and multiple forms of movement
wind walk

Marnath
2010-07-29, 02:03 PM
It's not really "best", but Nystul's Magic Aura can be situationally useful for getting magic items past guards, or making a burglar think that Staff of Power is just an old stick.

Another_Poet
2010-07-29, 02:16 PM
Magic Jar and Protection from Arrows are both awesome.

dextercorvia
2010-07-29, 02:24 PM
It's not really "best", but Nystul's Magic Aura can be situationally useful for getting magic items past guards, or making a burglar think that Staff of Power is just an old stick.

Nystul's Magic Aura is awesome if you really want to be Invisible. Otherwise, there are about a dozen common divinations that will find you, even if they aren't looking for invisible creatures. Detect Magic is a cantrip that can fool your Greater Invisibility, unless you remember to null your magic aura's

Iku Rex
2010-07-29, 02:39 PM
Greater Mighty Wallop (Sor/Wiz 3, RotD). Improves bludgeoning weapon.

Arcane-surge
2010-07-29, 07:26 PM
Nystul's Magic Aura is awesome if you really want to be Invisible. Otherwise, there are about a dozen common divinations that will find you, even if they aren't looking for invisible creatures. Detect Magic is a cantrip that can fool your Greater Invisibility, unless you remember to null your magic aura's

Even if you dimmed all the auras of your items, wouldn't Detect Magic still pick up the active illusion spell on you, namely Greater Invisibility?

dextercorvia
2010-07-29, 09:08 PM
Even if you dimmed all the auras of your items, wouldn't Detect Magic still pick up the active illusion spell on you, namely Greater Invisibility?

By my reading, not if you are light enough.

Paul H
2010-07-30, 06:37 PM
Hi

Leomund's Tiny Hut?

Total concealment, excludes Truee Seeing, etc. Force (Evocation) effect. Warmages can take it.

Fireball magnet, though.............

Cheers
Paul H