PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Complete Protection?

strider24seven
2010-06-13, 12:14 AM
Is there a way to completely fortify an area, say for instance, a castle, from attack, both mundane and magical?

I've read some of the Cube threads floating around, and most defenses involve some form of anti-teleportation effects, prismatic walls, and either lots of mooks or a spell-clock.

So I throw this one to the playground. How would you guys fortify an area- assume virtually unlimited resources.

Wishmongering should be kept to a minimum.

Keld Denar
2010-06-13, 12:17 AM
Genesis

That is all.

PId6
2010-06-13, 12:19 AM
Genesis + Dimension Lock.

Keld Denar
2010-06-13, 12:30 AM
Dimensional Lock is too prohibitive. What if you want to teleport to your summer home in Maui? Better would be Forbiddance (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/forbiddance.htm). Its a cleric6 spell, so its is Wishable for a wizard or sorcerer. Just be careful not to give the password to anyone who might become an ex, changing the locks on this puppy can get pricy (especially if you have to Wish for it).

Lycanthromancer
2010-06-13, 12:34 AM
A lyre of building gives you 30 minutes of absolute protection per day. Buy 48 of them and have two warforged bards swap out every half hour, and you're set.

Only in a somewhat small area, but still.

Draz74
2010-06-13, 12:46 AM
A lyre of building gives you 30 minutes of absolute protection per day. Buy 48 of them and have two warforged bards swap out every half hour, and you're set.

Only in a somewhat small area, but still.

I love how this post suddenly just created a whole new social class (of warforged bards) in the TippyVerse.

"You're not a wizard. Or a Tier 1 class. Justify your existence, please."
"Oh, I'm one of those specialized Lyre of Building players. It's actually a pretty decent deal, and I didn't have to go to grad school."
"Oh, you're one of those. OK, welcome."

bobspldbckwrds
2010-06-13, 12:55 AM
Genesis

That is all.

what he said.

Lycanthromancer
2010-06-13, 01:52 AM
I love how this post suddenly just created a whole new social class (of warforged bards) in the TippyVerse.

"You're not a wizard. Or a Tier 1 class. Justify your existence, please."
"Oh, I'm one of those specialized Lyre of Building players. It's actually a pretty decent deal, and I didn't have to go to grad school."
"Oh, you're one of those. OK, welcome."I'm making a warforged bard/crusader/warblade. He's turning out to be very powerful, even at level 5.

Kosjsjach
2010-06-13, 12:12 PM
I'm making a warforged bard/crusader/warblade. He's turning out to be very powerful, even at level 5.

Well, I'm intrigued.

Cogidubnus
2010-06-13, 12:27 PM
Aside from Genesis, permananced prismatic walls and forbiddance.

Thinker
2010-07-27, 08:08 AM
I'm making a warforged bard/crusader/warblade. He's turning out to be very powerful, even at level 5.

How did he end up? What sort of abilities does he have?

Lycanthromancer
2010-07-27, 09:00 AM
How did he end up? What sort of abilities does he have?I fluffed him as a military leader and strategist, who uses Perform (Oratory) to call out instructions and encouragement to his team.

Inspire Courage at +6 (+8 on attack rolls over literally miles in a mass-battle situation, where he's playing his war-drums (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambeg_drum)), the ability to "sing" and grant his Perform ranks to any healing spells cast by his allies, the ability to fizzle any spell with a verbal component cast within 60', lots of healing on his attacks, rather sizable damage bonuses for himself and attack bonuses for himself and others (which stack with the aforementioned +6/+8), the ability to grant bonuses to allies' AC, the ability to overcome hardness and DR, the ability to grant luck bonuses to several of his rolls, and several other things.

He was quite formidable, especially given how many other characters with martial abilities that were in the party (warforged factotum/swordsage, warforged druid, living construct baby t-rex animal companion, and the artificer's warbeast polar bear, which is surprisingly affordable by level 5).

JeminiZero
2010-07-27, 09:22 AM
I've read some of the Cube threads floating around, and most defenses involve some form of anti-teleportation effects, prismatic walls, and either lots of mooks or a spell-clock.

While Prismatic Wall is powerful, it is by no means impenetrable. Any creature with magic immunity (or sufficiently high SR at any rate), can simply reach right through it (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8195296#post8195296).

Lysander
2010-07-27, 09:36 AM
Instead of casting Forbiddance one time, cast it for each 60ft cube of space you enchant. It'll be phenomenally more expensive (you said resources were unlimited), but now intruders will have to make a new saving throw every sixty feet they move since each cube will be a different spell.

Obvious: Mage's Private Sanctum the entire castle. Don't let anyone spy on your defenses. Also obvious: Put alarm spells at key points all over the castle.

Have Walls of Force underground to block burrowing/earth gliding creatures and elementals. Also, keep a few earth elementals as guards and task them to patrol the area beneath the castle.

Have flying creatures with true seeing and darkvision (either naturally or from magic items) keep watch on the castle and the surrounding area from the skies. Link them with permanent telepathic bonds to guards in the castle so you can receive instant warning of any intruder.

nahmoss
2010-07-27, 09:46 AM
How would Genesis work to fortify a castle? It is cast on the ethereal plane, and while that coexists with the material plane, spells don't cross over from the ethereal to the material. Also it take a week to cast and only extends to 180 feet, both factors hardly ideal if you need to fortify a castle from even a semi impending attack.

Lycanthromancer
2010-07-27, 09:50 AM
How would Genesis work to fortify a castle? It is cast on the ethereal plane, and while that coexists with the material plane, spells don't cross over from the ethereal to the material. Also it take a week to cast and only extends to 180 feet, both factors hardly ideal if you need to fortify a castle from even a semi impending attack.You put your base of operations on the demiplane in the first place, which is considerably easier to hold against invasion. You don't have to worry about the casting time if you do it beforehand.

nahmoss
2010-07-27, 10:56 AM
You put your base of operations on the demiplane in the first place, which is considerably easier to hold against invasion. You don't have to worry about the casting time if you do it beforehand.

Ok I took the OPs question as how to fortify a certain area, not how to simply create a impenetrable fortress anywhere in existence.

"Is there a way to completely fortify an area, say for instance, a castle, from attack, both mundane and magical?"

Lycanthromancer
2010-07-27, 11:04 AM
Ok I took the OPs question as how to fortify a certain area, not how to simply create a impenetrable fortress anywhere in existence.

"Is there a way to completely fortify an area, say for instance, a castle, from attack, both mundane and magical?"Yeah, build it in the demiplane.

You could always try using a miracle to transport it to your demiplane, if it's big enough.

And as I mentioned before, there's always the lyre of building. Or you could use haunt shift on it and teleport yourself.

Ilmryn
2010-07-27, 12:14 PM
Unlimited resources, you say?

Get a epic Pun-Pun wizard to cast Epic Repulsion against all creatures but you, then have him surround the area with permament walls of force protected by Epic Spell Reflection.
Now, anything without an infinite SR won't be able to approach your fortress, and since the magic-immune creatures are immune to teleporting, they cant get in... The Walls of Force are literally indestructible since they can't be dispelled by epic spells(infinte CL, there are no epic spells that will destroy a wall of force except dispelling, wall of force wasn't written with epic spells in mind:smallbiggrin:), and any nonepic spell will simply bounce off.

Keld Denar
2010-07-27, 01:17 PM
wall of force wasn't written with epic spells in mind:smallbiggrin:), and any nonepic spell will simply bounce off.

Walls of Force can be destroyed with a simple Disintegrate. No CL check involved. Its the paper that defeats the rock. Other things that trash Walls of Force are Rods of Cancelations (DMG) and Picks of Piercing (MIC). CL is irrelevant in those cases.

Nothing material is truely impenetrable. You can layer defenses to buy extra time, but unless you are present to repell threats and reinforce defenses that have been bypassed, everything can be circumvented.

FMArthur
2010-07-27, 01:38 PM
Unlimited resources, you say?

Get a epic Pun-Pun wizard to cast Epic Repulsion against all creatures but you, then have him surround the area with permament walls of force protected by Epic Spell Reflection.
Now, anything without an infinite SR won't be able to approach your fortress, and since the magic-immune creatures are immune to teleporting, they cant get in... The Walls of Force are literally indestructible since they can't be dispelled by epic spells(infinte CL, there are no epic spells that will destroy a wall of force except dispelling, wall of force wasn't written with epic spells in mind:smallbiggrin:), and any nonepic spell will simply bounce off. to simply make an area that cannot be penetrated by any means.

Maybe you don't know what Pun-Pun is...