PDA

View Full Version : Lion themed swordsage

Window459
2010-06-13, 06:19 AM
so in a campaign im running i was working one the BBEGs 2nd in commands henchmen i wanted to base him off of Rio from the super sentai series gekiranger,.(yes i know im a total nerd :P) any way i was watching and i figured that he'd be a swordsage of some kind but i cant figure out an exact build he'll be lvl 15 and have the base stats of 18, 16, 14, 12, 11, 10 so if any one has any ideas let me know, thanks a head of time

Aeromyre
2010-06-13, 06:26 AM
[QUOTE=Window459;8691227](yes i know im a total nerd :P)/QUOTE]

Yeah we Know, you do play D&D:P

I wish i could help you out but i know nothing about the swordsage at all

AslanCross
2010-06-13, 06:30 AM
Not having seen Gekiranger, I don't know how to model his fighting style. However, if he's into the wild, bestial type of fighting, which is the impression I get, Tiger Claw with a dash of Desert Wind and Setting Sun might do well.

Window459
2010-06-13, 06:38 AM
Not having seen Gekiranger, I don't know how to model his fighting style. However, if he's into the wild, bestial type of fighting, which is the impression I get, Tiger Claw with a dash of Desert Wind and Setting Sun might do well.

Ill have to check those styles out more since I usually one use Warblades and Stone Dragon style

Reynard
2010-06-13, 07:00 AM
Tiger Claw is all about leaping at your enemies and stabbing them with multiple weapons.

Desert Wind has tricks that makes you immune to fire, lets you deal fire damage and make people explode.

Setting Sun has buttloads of melee touch attacks that let you throw your enemies around like ragdolls/bowling balls/missiles/ordnance.

How does this guy fight? What weapons does he use?

Window459
2010-06-13, 07:26 AM
Tiger Claw is all about leaping at your enemies and stabbing them with multiple weapons.

Desert Wind has tricks that makes you immune to fire, lets you deal fire damage and make people explode.

Setting Sun has buttloads of melee touch attacks that let you throw your enemies around like ragdolls/bowling balls/missiles/ordnance.

How does this guy fight? What weapons does he use?

He use hes his fist mostly and has some special ki attacks, Tiger Claw and Desert Wind are looking like there on the money same with Setting Sun

Reynard
2010-06-13, 07:59 AM
That's good that he uses his fists.

Discipline Focus.
Weapon Focus. This should be in Tiger Claw, for +1 to hit with Unarmed Strikes.
Insightful Strike. You'll be able to choose one extra Discipline here. Tiger Claw will get it automatically. The other Discipline is up to you. I'd say Setting Sun, because its strikes are more useful than Desert Wind's.
Defensive Stance. This will go to Tiger Claw automatically.

Feats. Let's see.
Adaptive Style (ToB, pg 28) is a must, it'll let the Swordsage get his maneuvers back much much faster.
It'd also be a good idea, as Tiger Claw and Setting Sun both have Unarmed Strike as Discipline Weapons, to pick up Blade Meditation (ToB, pg 28) for either of those styles for +1 to damage. I'd say take it for Tiger Claw, for the +2 to Jump.

As for any more, I'm not enough of an expert to know which feats would be good or bad for this build.

Window459
2010-06-13, 08:12 AM
That's good that he uses his fists.

Discipline Focus.
Weapon Focus. This should be in Tiger Claw, for +1 to hit with Unarmed Strikes.
Insightful Strike. You'll be able to choose one extra Discipline here. Tiger Claw will get it automatically. The other Discipline is up to you. I'd say Setting Sun, because its strikes are more useful than Desert Wind's.
Defensive Stance. This will go to Tiger Claw automatically.

Feats. Let's see.
Adaptive Style (ToB, pg 28) is a must, it'll let the Swordsage get his maneuvers back much much faster.
It'd also be a good idea, as Tiger Claw and Setting Sun both have Unarmed Strike as Discipline Weapons, to pick up Blade Meditation (ToB, pg 28) for either of those styles for +1 to damage. I'd say take it for Tiger Claw, for the +2 to Jump.

As for any more, I'm not enough of an expert to know which feats would be good or bad for this build.

Thanks for the all the advice its been a really headache preventer :)

playswithfire
2010-06-13, 08:38 AM
I'd also recommend two levels in Bloodclaw Master to get full Strength damage to offhand attacks and eliminate the penalty for TWFing (unless you're planning to focus on DEX and be in a shadow hand stance with the Shadow Blade feat) or not planning to use TWF.

Depending on what sources you have available and how much you/your DM dislike cheesy dips, you might want to consider two levels of Barbarian, using the Lion Spirit Totem (Complete Champion) and Wolf Totem (Unearthed Arcana) variants to pick up pounce and Improved Trip (without Combat Expertise and Int 13). This would make you wait another level to get Raging Mongoose and/or Girallon's Windmill, though.

true_shinken
2010-06-13, 09:28 AM
GO LIONMAN GO!
http://seriesedesenhos.com/br/images/stories/lion_man(1).jpg

Window459
2010-06-13, 09:45 AM
GO LIONMAN GO!
http://seriesedesenhos.com/br/images/stories/lion_man(1).jpg

O_o not what I'm going for......and wth is that from???

Critical
2010-06-13, 10:09 AM
Start off as a Barbarian 2, with Spiritual Lion Totem and Wolf Totem Barbarian for Improved Trip. :smallbiggrin: And grab Knockdown feat later on, duh.
Though, completely unfamiliar with your anime, or whatever it is. :smallbiggrin:

true_shinken
2010-06-13, 10:16 AM
O_o not what I'm going for......and wth is that from???

That's Lionman, a very old tokusatsu series.
We get a lot more tokusatsu here on Brazil, apparently.

Window459
2010-06-13, 10:44 AM
That's Lionman, a very old tokusatsu series.
We get a lot more tokusatsu here on Brazil, apparently.

i believe that is going to haunt me dreams....

Thinker
2010-07-27, 08:58 PM
Wouldn't a Warblade fit a lion better thematically?

sciencepanda
2010-07-27, 09:08 PM
I watch too much Tokusatsu...

And correct me if I'm wrong, but Rio fights barehanded and he was raised in a pseudo-Chinese monastery, so yeah, Swordsage would likely fit better.

Melayl
2010-07-27, 09:47 PM
I was hoping for a Thundercats build after reading the title of this thread. I'm almost disappointed...:smallwink:

Window459
2010-07-27, 10:30 PM
I watch too much Tokusatsu...

And correct me if I'm wrong, but Rio fights barehanded and he was raised in a pseudo-Chinese monastery, so yeah, Swordsage would likely fit better.

Yep thats right Rio gets raised in a pseudo-Chinese monastery after his family gets killed by Long

sciencepanda
2010-07-27, 10:55 PM
I was hoping for a Thundercats build after reading the title of this thread. I'm almost disappointed...:smallwink:

Says you, Rio is awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBrlnfbNb0U

Incidentally, Kaze Yo/Hikari Yo/Seigi No Inori/Kaware Shishimaru, Lionmaru Ni (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxycVfnWIrw)