PDA

View Full Version : Spell Storing weapon question

Scribble
2010-06-13, 01:09 PM
I've poked around on here and couldn't really find an answer to this so here goes.

With a spell storing weapon, if I hit an enemy and do damage I can choose to cast the spell in the weapon on the enemy. Once this happens does the enemy get a saving throw or does the spell auto-hit? What happens if I use a touch spell with no saving throw?

My other question is that Spell Storing limits you to 3rd level spells, is it possible to store a metamagic'd third level spell, or does that technically raise it's level to high?

Lord Vukodlak
2010-06-13, 01:13 PM
I've poked around on here and couldn't really find an answer to this so here goes.

With a spell storing weapon, if I hit an enemy and do damage I can choose to cast the spell in the weapon on the enemy. Once this happens does the enemy get a saving throw or does the spell auto-hit? What happens if I use a touch spell with no saving throw?

My other question is that Spell Storing limits you to 3rd level spells, is it possible to store a metamagic'd third level spell, or does that technically raise it's level to high?

3rd level or lower including metamagic adjustments. The weapon can only store a targeted spell to begin with. The spell functions normally, if you store a hold person they get a save, if you store shocking grasp they take electricity damage.

Scribble
2010-06-13, 01:23 PM
Alright, I figured that's how it worked, I just wanted to make sure I had it right before I did something against the rules in game.

Ernir
2010-06-13, 02:06 PM
3rd level or lower including metamagic adjustments.

Wait, what? :smallconfused:

It's a sensible houserule, but not how it works. It takes stuff like Heighten Spell or Sanctum Spell to change a spell's effective level, most metamagic feats only change the level of the spell slot required to cast the spell. An Empowered Scorching Ray is still a 2nd level spell, but one that (normally) requires a 4th level spell slot to cast. And (unfortunately) Spell Storing refers to spell level, not spell slot level.

Scribble
2010-06-13, 02:10 PM
That's what I was wondering about.

Sliver
2010-06-13, 02:32 PM
*looks at other spell storing items* *finds ring of spell storing*

Metamagic versions of spells take up storage space equal to their spell level modified by the metamagic feat.

Beorn080
2010-06-13, 02:33 PM
Wow. By Raw, you can use a massively metamagiced, well, anything in there.

I wonder if Chain Spell would work with it? I mean, a Chained blah blah blah Hold Person would be nasty to give to a fighter.

Lord Vukodlak
2010-06-13, 02:35 PM
Wait, what? :smallconfused:

It's a sensible houserule, but not how it works. It takes stuff like Heighten Spell or Sanctum Spell to change a spell's effective level, most metamagic feats only change the level of the spell slot required to cast the spell. An Empowered Scorching Ray is still a 2nd level spell, but one that (normally) requires a 4th level spell slot to cast. And (unfortunately) Spell Storing refers to spell level, not spell slot level.

Its not a house rule, its simply how spell storing items work on everything else. If you look to a ring of spell storing it says

"Metamagic versions of spells take up storage space equal to their spell level modified by the metamagic feat."

You can't make a wand of maximized fireball[unless you can eliminate the level adjustment] because the level limits apply to metamagic feats. Check the SRD on metamagic feats.

There is no reason to believe a spell storing weapon should be the exception to the rule. If you make a maximized scroll of fireball you calculate the costs as a 6th level spell not a 3rd level spell.

Ah found the passage in the DMG, pg 282-3

Using metamagic feats, a caster can place spells in items at a higher level than normal. For example, a caster could heighten a spell's level to increase the effectiveness, or quicken a spell to allow it to be used as a free action, placing it within an item at the higher metamagic level.
Granted this was intended for creating magic items like wands, scrolls and such. But I think it makes it clear how metamagic spell casting items work.

Ernir
2010-06-13, 02:45 PM
Its not a house rule, its simply how spell storing items work on everything else.

Interesting. Kind of stupid that the ring has the limiting line but the weapon doesn't. But since we have that general rule in the DMG, it means the ring is referencing that rule rather than making a specific one for the function for that item, and sanity is restored. :smallsmile:

Sometimes, it's good to be wrong. :smallbiggrin:

EDIT:
Granted this was intended for creating magic items like wands, scrolls and such. But I think it makes it clear how metamagic spell casting items work.Yeah, I just found the passage myself, that's in reference to magic item creation, not spell storage. :smallconfused:

In any case, it's rather obvious how these items are supposed to work.

nargbop
2010-06-13, 03:34 PM
It takes the metamagic-adjusted level. So, then, the real trick is to ask your DM if you can use your metamagic-reduction tricks on it. :)

If you are playing an optimized game, go ahead, stick that Maximized Shivering Touch onto the Tanglefoot Bolt. Make your DM cry.

Curmudgeon
2010-06-13, 08:47 PM
If you are playing an optimized game, go ahead, stick that Maximized Shivering Touch onto the Tanglefoot Bolt. Make your DM cry.
Bolts can't deliver spells, for multiple reasons. As ammunition they're destroyed on impact, and they're also no longer wielded once out of your hands.

veovius
2010-06-13, 09:06 PM
Bolts can't deliver spells, for multiple reasons. As ammunition they're destroyed on impact, and they're also no longer wielded once out of your hands.

Orcish Shotput?

Coidzor
2010-06-13, 09:10 PM
Orcish Shotput?

Now that's some artillery.

Escheton
2010-06-13, 09:27 PM
orcish shotput with a vampiric touch on it is pretty sweet.
Get bloodstone for 1-1/2 times the damage and healing instead of spellstoring for extra fun.

Scribble
2010-06-13, 11:22 PM
Well, right now I'm not high enough level, so for now I'm just casting Empowered Combust into my twin daggers.

Though I have talked with my DM some and he says later on in the campaign I should be able to research the Improved Spell Storing weapon enhancement which will go up to level 5.