PDA

View Full Version : CE Beguiler

quiet1mi
2010-06-13, 10:21 PM
How would a level 12 CE beguiler do combat? I am looking for ways to be cruel and unforgiving to my opponents...

What spells would be best for advanced learning... I was thinking lesser Shadow Conjuration for its general utility and access to "damage spells"...

dextercorvia
2010-06-13, 10:24 PM
How would a level 12 CE beguiler do combat? I am looking for ways to be cruel and unforgiving to my opponents...

What spells would be best for advanced learning... I was thinking lesser Greater Shadow Evocation for its general utility and access to CONTINGENCY...

FTFY

TEXTTEXTTEXTTEXTTEXT

Edit: Alright, I will try and be helpful. Dip mindbender at 6th to delay Adv. learning. Pick up mindsight, also Versatile Spellcaster is worth it -- don't use any heighten cheese to get spells early though. Invisible spell, conceal casting trick... If you do pick up anything blasty, fell drain

PId6
2010-06-13, 10:43 PM
Make sure to take one level of Mindbender at 6th level for Telepathy, to qualify for Mindsight, and to delay your Advanced Learning by one level so you get better spells. It also fits in with the CE flavor.

If you want to be evil, just Dominate whoever you want and order them to sacrifice themselves for your cause (but don't make it sound obviously suicidal). Torment your enemies with Sendings telling them how you've enslaved their loved ones and do unspeakable things to them. Make use of Solid Fog + Legion of Sentinels to cut your enemies to little pieces easy enough. Make it Fell Draining Legion of Sentinels for even better results.

For Advanced Learning, Shock and Awe is the best one I can find for third level. Choose between Shadow Conjuration and Modify Memory for 8th level (this assumes Mindbender dip). Shadow Evocation or Greater Heroism is good for 12th level. Superior Invisibility or Greater Shadow Evocation for 16th level. Choose Shades or Mindrape for 20th level.

quiet1mi
2010-06-13, 11:49 PM
After talking to my Gm, I suspect we will be revisiting the campaign at level 20... With that in mind, the Beguiler Capstone looks worth it... IE: no mindbender...

Here are the feats I have...
Darkstalker
Spell Focus (enchantment)
Silent Spell
Greater Spell Focus (enchantment)
*open level 9 feat*
Still Spell
*open level 10 feat* **
**I am thinking about that reserve feat that allows you to teleport if I keep a single level 6 slot open (shadow-walk), This would give me tons of tactical abilities such as silent image, invisibility, ready solid fog, then cast Legion of Sentinels, followed by teleport away...

What do you guys think?

PId6
2010-06-14, 12:02 AM
Versatile Spellcaster and Heighten Spell are good, even independently.
Invisible Spell can lead to some fun things.
Rapid Metamagic is well worth it if you plan on using metamagic often.
Quicken Spell is almost required for casters at higher levels. Needs Rapid Metamagic.

The capstone isn't really all that great in my opinion. It only works when they're denied Dex bonus, which has limited applications (feinting in combat is very subpar). You're better off just using Major Image/Solid Fog/Legion of Sentinels on high SR enemies, and relying on allies/dominated slaves for the rest. I'd say Mindsight for your entire career, along with much better spells from Advanced Learning, are worth losing a situational ability at level 20 for.

If the game will go very high level, you should consider Shadowcraft Mage. Doing fun things with Silent Image adds a lot of versatility to your repertoire, and is highly entertaining as well. You can find the handbook (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872354/Shadowcraft_Mage_Handbook) here.

2010-06-14, 12:51 AM
how a beguiler antagonist should do combat: with their pawns and thralls from very very far away.
if they DO enter combat: mind control, illusions, more mind control, pit character A against cgaracter B, if the PCs use spells like telepathic bond hit them with a dispel or two before combat and always hit the wizard/cleric with at least one targeted dispel (preferably just after CoDzilla buffs)

chiasaur11
2010-06-14, 01:09 AM
In other words, if anyone ever sees you? You're doing it wrong.

Mastikator
2010-06-14, 01:13 AM
Use spells that has (or should have) the [evil] or [chaotic] tag on it. Keep incapacitated foes alive, for torture. And torture for the heck of it.

Thurbane
2010-06-14, 03:10 AM
If you want to make melee types weep tears of blood, take Ray of Dizziness with your advanced learning. It's like a one target Slow with no save.

quiet1mi
2010-06-14, 11:26 AM
*going to clarify some things...
The Gm also specifically forbade me from PRC out of beguiler... (He noticed the Gnome Killer Build)
I am a PC, this is not a GMPC... so do not bother mentioning tactics against players because I am one...
He has to be an enchanter... I know they are not the best but the game is not near optimized anyway...

Gnaeus
2010-06-14, 11:37 AM

Generally in the exact same way a NG beguiler would. Alignment does not dictate tactics.

Exception. Any beguiler (or Dread Necro or Warmage) who will not be PRCing should place wisdom as a secondary stat for the use of Arcane Disciple (Expanding your spell list is KEY). The domain(s) you choose will be determined by your deity, who must be close to your alignment. You want spells that give fort saves, no saves, or are SR:no, or give a lot of utility.

Edit: Maybe Hunger, or Summoner? What NE/CN/CE deities are available?

Person_Man
2010-06-14, 11:52 AM
Dominate them or their friends. Make them do horrible things. For extra fun, after combat is over strip them of everything that is valuable, then order them to return home and kill everyone they are related to by birth or marriage. Viola! You've just created a re-occurring enemy with a semi-interesting backstory (either the person you dominated, a son/daughter who was forced to kill their parent and is trying to find out why, or the local Paladin or law enforcement).