PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Guild Enforcers IC

Pages : [1] 2

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-06-13, 11:24 PM
Location: North-end of the docks district/ west side of Upper Grenlin in Grenlin city
Time: Near-midnight, late spring, Year 132 of the Philips dynasty of the Empire of Man.

You meet your contact in the middle of the night on the wharf and are brought to a large mansion at the north end of town. The streets are dark despite this area of town having the odd oil streetlamp. The lamps cause the light fog that rolled in from the ocean to glow and you can smell the crispness of the salt water in the night air. There is no moon out tonight, jokingly called the ‘thieves moon’ by some upstanding citizens.

The mansion looks like all the others in the area except for two small details that only trained eyes pickup on. The two men in black pacing along the second floor balcony that over looks the approach to the front down of the manson are actually easy to spot. The crossbows under their cloaks are not. There are no bars on the first floor windows unlike every other fancy house in Grenlin.

You are shown to the door, where an old halfing meets you. Your contact leaves, their work being done. The halfling guides you through the front hallway, passing a fat dwarf who stinks of stale ale. He sits on a wooden chair outside the library. His breastplate is dented but obviously magical. A massive waraxe is draped across his lap. Icy vapor mists off the white glowing blade as if it was always 100 degrees cooler then the air temperatue. Definitely magic. The Dwarf takes the mug of ale out of his face to size you up. He places the mug on the side of his waraxe’s blade to keep it cold. Ribbons of frost creep up the outside of the mug as it chills.

“Feh!” he sneers dismissively, as if he found you lacking somehow, and turns his full attention back to finding the bottom of his mug.

Further down the hallway two men are piling some heavy crates against the wall. The lettering on the crates has been haphazardly scrapped off but you can still clearly read “Grenlin Shipping Co.”.

You are lead to the library, the first door on the right. The room is dimly lit with two ‘hourlong’ candles sitting on opposite ends of a large desk. Rich wood paneling and wooden bookshelves line the walls stuffed with neatly arranged books. Thick curtains dominate the east outside wall. In front of the desk are five stools. As you move further into the room, a middle aged human with brown hair and noble dress motions you forward. He appears to have a ring on every finger and is currently polishing one of them.

“ Come in, come in. Sit down. Welcome my new friends. I am of course Malvic.”

As you approach the center of the room you notice more details about the room. On the desk is a an old dusty wine bottle and glass with a deep red wine, most likely Elven by it’s smell. Arrayed on the right side of the desk are several nasty looking surgery tools and odd steel implements. A few tools are clearly designed for metal work. The rest are a bit of a mystery but their look is decidedly unfriendly. On the other side of the desk are two sacks, one looks to be full with something, the other empty. On the floor in the corner near the stools is a thick canvas tarp laid across the carpet approximately 10 by 10 feet in size.

“We have three matters of business to discuss tonight. The first, is well, I’d like to welcome the five of you to full membership in the guild… I mean full membership to ‘Local number 3, of the Grenlin Mining guild’” he says with a wink. “I’ve heard a good deal about you all and am looking forward to a mutually beneficial arrangement. I will be your handler for most business”.

“Now item number two, we have…”

A loud crash comes from the hallway interrupting Malvic. Two men out in the hall start arguing loudly about who dropped the crate first. Malvic closes his eyes and rubs his nose and says quietly “Good help is so hard to find…”

The dwarf in foyer shouts down the hallway “OYYY --YOU TWO, SHUT YER ALE-HOLES OR I’LL WEDGE MY AXE INTO YA”. Complete silence falls on the hallway.

Malvic continues with a sly grin, “Hmm, that motivator of men is Lunk the zerker. Angriest and most crazed dwarf I ever met. I’ve known him 10 years and never seen him once sober or nice.”

Malvic absently switches to polishing a different ring on his hand. “ Where was I? Oh yea, number two. Every good team needs a safe base of operations, a safe house if you will.”

He lifts up the full sack, which starts to jingle and sounds like many shiny coins. He tosses it towards the edge of the desk and motions for someone to take it with a dismissive wave of his hand.

“Here is 100 plat coins. Go out and find a suitable safehouse. You can obtain a house or a warehouse or an outhouse – I don’t care. You can use the money to legimately buy a place or you can make someone an offer they shouldn’t refuse and use the money for boozin’ and dicin’. Oh, and for the sake of my carpets, skip the sewer. The last group of kobold assassins we hired based there. Foul thing…“ Malvic trails off with a dark frown.

“Its probably best for you gents to air your ideas now and vote on them. It will be up to you guys to secure the lodgings by the end of the week and let me know the location.
Some things to consider, location, storage space if you think you need it, the size, quiet place to plan, ease of disposing a body, whether your coming’s and goings at all hours will attract attention and overall defensibility and escape routes. I leave it to your imagination.”

“The third and main task for this week is to kill the mage Darrius Dinus. He is some sort of diviner and is working on a project for the city guards. Kill the mage and locate the stone tablets that he is working on. There should be 6 or 7 of them, no more than 10 lbs each – bring them to me. We think he plans to turn the tablets over to the regional Empiral inspector who will be in Glenlin next Saturday. This must be prevented from happening. We aren’t sure where Darrius is though. That’s all the information I have.”

He glances at the candle on his desk and frowns deeply. He starts to buff a new ring on his other hand.

Malvic throws the empty bag towards the party “Here, for the mage’s head. Bring it to me as well.”

He waves his finger in the party’s general direction “No disintegrations”

“You have ten minutes before my next meeting, any ideas of where you want to set up a safehouse or questions about anything I’ve covered tonight?”

================================================== ==

(OOC: Extremely rough map )

http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/9113/layoutmxw.jpg

Binks
2010-06-14, 02:17 AM
As Finwyn enters the room he immediately starts looking around with a bit of a bored expression on his face, something which doesn't fade as Malvic launches into a long speech. About the time Finwyn's finished looking around the place, and when a disturbance occurs in the hall, Finwyn gets a bit of a smile on his face.

Casually lifting one hand, with an eye on Malvic, he starts to polish one of the pieces of jewelry on his suit, smiling calmly and doing his best to copy Malvic's movements. When he swaps rings Finwyn swaps jewels, all the while smiling as he enjoys his little game but trying to make it seem casual, the sort of thing he does all the time.

Finwyn perks up a bit at the mention of the first mission of sorts, frowning slightly at the simple and relatively boring task, just a simple theft and killing? This would require a little touching up to be interesting.

As Malvic finishes his speech Finwyn waits patiently for someone to speak up, figuring it wouldn't be a good idea to draw too much attention to himself, all the while polishing his jewelry is time with Malvic and grinning to himself.

thugger
2010-06-14, 10:59 AM
Auldis enters quietly with the group, selecting the stool on the far left as his perch. As he sits he gently sets his hand bag on the floor to the left of his stool a muffled clink of metal on metal can be heard.
Resting his cane against one knee, he pulls a small book and bottle of ink from the bag.
After opening the book and briefly inspecting the quill which he pulls from it's binding, he balances the ink bottle on one corner and begins to make notes.

Taking advantage of the brief pause offered by the rest of the group, William stutters out, <slowly at first, gaining momentum as he gains confidence>
"Ah, yes. I do, um, have some preferences with regards to, uh, this haven of sorts you suggest. Specifically: I'd prefer to remain near the harbor front and will require a building with a sublevel which includes either a small tide pool or more likely a storm drain."
<brief pause to push up his spectacles>
"Now regarding this Mr. Dinus: What information are you willing to share or do you have available regarding how this knowledge of Mr. Dinus and his project came to you? Do you have any information regarding whom he may be working with from the city? Would perhaps tampering with these stones so as to mislead or sabotage the regional Emperial Inspector be a better option than simply retrieving them?"
Auldis pauses, quill poised above his notebook...

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-06-14, 02:34 PM
Malvic doesn’t seem to notice or pick up on Finwyn’s actions.

Malvic takes his eyes off his rings momentarily and turns towards Auldis.

"We have rough drawing from the city planning office and can probably locate a number of locations that meet that criteria. Any other thoughts or things you’d think you need?” Malvic says as he looks over the whole group.

“You don’t need to know about how we learned about the mage in order to accomplish your task. It’s really irrelevant.” Malvic states dismissively. “ He was commissioned by Lord Tarnwell himself, the leader of the guardsman. We have reason for wanting the tablets in our hands. The death of the mage will ensure no one else will have the power of the tablets”

---------------------------------------------
OOC :

Summary of participation/RP for xp reward (deadline Wednesday night)

Binks
Thugger

thugger
2010-06-14, 03:25 PM
William scribles a few more notes.
"Thank you.. for the.. um.. clarification."

senrath
2010-06-14, 09:44 PM
Lars stayed silent as he contemplated what had been said. The job sounded straight forwards enough. Find the mage, kill him, take his head and his things. It certainly wasn't anything he had never done before and he was confident that he could do it again. The prospect of a safe-house was much more intriguing, and so he turned his attention towards it. Truth be told, after living in a cave for much of his life, he had learned to live almost anywhere. The specifics of the place mattered little, save for one thing. "Anywhere is fine with me, so long as there is room to set up a distillation center where it can be out of easy view."

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-06-17, 12:45 AM
Malvic nods towards William.

"Any other questions about the mission or thoughts about where to locate the safehouse?"

The sound of a cart pulling up out front is heard. Malvic looks to his candle one more time, its nearly burnt down completely.

Saveducks
2010-06-17, 02:12 AM
Throughout Malvic's speech Tybault showed little interest at best, Tybault was still not quite used to being indoors and was shifting around restlessly. Tybault also began rubbing his hands together and staring at the people around him, through the corners of his eye, he took a small inventory of there equipment muscles and confidence and jotted a few notes for himself. When Tybault heard the man William talk with a stutter he rolled his eyes and pulled out his lyre quietly tuned it, almost lovingly, near his ear.

Tybault's bat, Cran, also acted nervously this was the first time Cran had been inside for an extended period of time Cran constantly switched which of Tybault's shoulders he was perched on and enjoyed stretching out his leathery wings. At the mention of a safehouse Crans ears picked up, Tybault had told him that they might have to start sleeping inside but the mention of it made Cran nervous; how can one sleep without a moon watching over him.

After Malvin asked if anyone had any questions on a safe house Cran let out a squeel. Tybault then procceded to turn his head toward Cran and cup his hand over his mouth. Tybault and Cran then had what resembled to be a conversation except for the fact that they were just squeking at each other, after around thirty seconds of this, Tybault turned to Malvic and said confidently.

"How 'boot a safe house ner the dook, more traffic so we ge' a lil more coover. Also umm, I aint very picky aboot the exact details of the hoose as long as I can haffa window; ermm maybe a big one, if possible. "

Cran then let out a large screech as though agreeing with Tybault.

mrcarter11
2010-06-17, 08:26 AM
Skullga remains towards the back of the group. As Malvic spoke, he studies the others in the room, trying to gain an idea of the abilites. As for soultions to the presented problems, "I think a base near the business sector of the city would work best. By the time we would ned to be leaving in the night everyone has left their job and gone home for the night. It also grants us many places to dispose of any possible bodies. As for the mage, I think an ambush kidnapping would work. Then we can force him to tell us where the stone tablets are. And we may also try to gain a few items from him, I'm sure a mage would craft to save his life, although we all know the end result would still be the same."

Binks
2010-06-17, 11:27 AM
Finwyn stops polishing jewelry briefly as Skullga mentions an ambush. Nodding in his direction briefly, impressed that someone else seems to be considering how to make this assignment interesting, rather than just blandly completing it, he speaks up briefly while continuing to polish in time with Malvic. I have no special needs for our location. However I agree with him, Finwyn says, pointing at Skullga, The business district would probably be a good location for our hideout.

esorscher
2010-06-17, 11:28 AM
Sorry for my delayed activity. Well, no excuses. I'll just jump in.

"For the safehouse: I think the docks is the right idea. I've seen a few warehouses down there--any one will do. The business district has its advantages, yes, but there's no easier way I know of getting rid of a body than putting it in a sack with a few bricks and throwing it into the seas. And no matter when we come, or go, no one will pay much attention. Not only that, but a dockside warehouse gives us plenty of space to work with, and a good cover for the building.

As for the layout, I've got some ideas for that as well." says Onas, pulling out a piece of parchment and rapidly sketching. While he draws, he says, "But you're right, Skullga. An ambush will work wonderfully. Which leaves us two things, at least, to consider: one: where and how do we ambush him. and two: how do we prevent him from seeing it in advance with his divinations?"

mrcarter11
2010-06-17, 12:22 PM
"Stopping him from seeing it is a slight problem, currently I am trying to come up with a soulution. But in any case, his home would be the ambush spot of choice. It is where you think you are the safest, which makes you cocky, and therfore weak. So it is my suggestion to be his home. And you mentioned that the docks would be better, my problem with that is all the sailers and drunks. Surly we can kill them, but eventually people start looking into things. The business district is constintly building new buildings, so to drop a body into the foundation would be simple. And we have no need to worry about anyone else while we are there. As for room, a building designed to hold a small business would give us more then enough room and space. It also grants somewhere quiet to do plan attacks. As an afterthought, if the guards ever attacked us, they would be forced to rely on martial skill in fear of spells destroying any real big buildings, something the docks does not give us.

thugger
2010-06-17, 01:35 PM
William gently sets down his quill.
While valid points have been raised for both locations covered in this discussion related to our safe-house, do not allow refuse disposal to be a limiting factor. I have a far more elegant solution available. Master Skullga's reasoning in favor of the business district is quite sound.

A brief pause while William takes a deep breath...
Unfortunately your points regarding the soon to be unfortunate Mr. Dinus are to this point moot. As Master Malvic has previously stated Mr. Dinus' current location is unknown. Hardly worth planning an ambush at his domicile if he's unlikely to show up there, is it? More so this than planning the diviner's demise I would imagine is the point of our summons. If nothing else, consider this: a diviner would seem most capable of possibly listening to this very conversation, now wouldn't he?
Auldis glances in the direction of Malvic
Let us quickly finish this discussion of the safehouse and be away from here before our host loses his patience.

mrcarter11
2010-06-17, 01:48 PM
Pointing at William, "So you are in agreence that the business sector is the most sound idea currently? And as for what the mage is capable of, please forgive me I have limited knowledge of what someone with his specialty can accomplish."

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-06-17, 02:06 PM
Malvic frowns at the mention of William's 'elegant solution' for corpse disposal. He opens his mouth as if to ask a question, but shuts it again quickly with a slightly frightened look on his face. "I don't want to know..." He mumbles to himself.

"These walls should be safe from most prying eyes and ears" Malvic says to comfort William

Malvic taps his finger on his desk gentlely as he thinks over everyone's ideas on a safehouse.

"Most of you seem to be favoring the docks. From the sounds of it you are probably best off with a corner house or warehouse, they tend to have sewer access and a basement for umm 'distillation'."

Malvic waits for Onas to finish his drawing. He looks over at his burnt out candle with annoyance.

"Just to be clear, about the mage. I personally don't know where he is. That does not mean his location is unknown or unknowable. You are resourceful young lads. " Malvic says with a smile.

Malvic turns his hand over and looks at his rings from the other side.

==========================

Xp and Rp awards = Everyone

safehouse location vote:

esorscher - dock side
binks - business
mrcarter11 - business
saveducks - docks - with a big window
senrath - anywhere as long as there is some room
thugger - in the docks area with a basement

So far, sounds like either a warehouse or plain old house in the docks is the winning idea.

thugger
2010-06-17, 02:11 PM
A brief nod "Generally speaking, yes, I do agree."
Followed by a wan smile.. "Your ignorance will not be a hindrance. I will assist you with this where I am able."

mrcarter11
2010-06-17, 02:22 PM
"Well by my count that is three for my idea, and I'm quite sure we can find a large window for you and for William some sewer systems to help. And thank for your offer to help me, perhaps we can become very good allies. Although I am curious as to what all of us are capable of, perhaps after this little meeting we can go and find a suitable base of operations and then sit down and discuss what each of us is capable of doing or any talents that w possess. Sound like a reasonable idea everyone?"

Saveducks
2010-06-17, 03:17 PM
Tybault shoots Malvic an annoyed look as Malvic continues to glance at his candle. Tybault begins to flick his hand casually and then looks confused when nothing happens, he then digs through his pouch but when he does not find what he is looking for Tybault looks up at Cran and says "Cran, buddy, wha' dit I say aboot eatin spell components"

Cran squeaks reluctantly and spits up a battered firefly into Tybaults expecting hand.

"Tanks buddy."

Tybault grips the firefly and begins to flick his hand again, then a ball of light erupts from is fingertips and settles onto the candle stick [(light spell)].

"Aight how boot tanight we find a safehoose and tamoorow we can try ta figure out where da mage is. Is tha' aight with you Cran" Cran lets out a small series of squeaks and stretches out his wings. "Ya one moore thing we shud stock up on food, afta we find a safe hoose we shud all split up and buy a small amount'a food if we all buy a small amount it won't look suspicious but well 'ave a good supply. Who knows when we might hafta hoole up in thar, so 'aving plentya food is moost; a um a must soory 'bout my accent"

mrcarter11
2010-06-17, 10:44 PM
"I personally hope that if we must work together as a group, that none of us plan on doing stupid which would result in us being looked for. Now, if someone here plans on being that stupid, please announce yourself now. And also, William, do you mind if I was to maybe assist you with the bodies, I have heard rumors of Nercomancy, but I would love to see it in person. Of course I hope I can trust you to not try anything on me, I can trust you correct?"

Binks
2010-06-18, 12:52 AM
Ha! Asking if anyone is going to be stupid enough to cause problems, an elegant question. Only someone stupid enough to be a problem would possibly answer yes. Finwyn says with a laugh as he looks over at Skullga with a smile and a look very close to respect on his face.

Saveducks
2010-06-18, 01:02 AM
"Proomising na' ta be stoopid is quite alot. I imagine we all entered this buissiness through some form o' stupitity, I mean honestly bein eager ta' handle corpses and the like sounds a tad stoopid, howeva' I can promise not ta' get you guys involved in anything dumb I do, furthermore, I believe that agreeing not ta' do anything unecassary wud be better place ta build off of. Doing unecasarry things; tats where ya get inta prooblems. Right buddy?" Tybault looks up at Cran but Cran has his head tucked into his wing possibly asleep but more likely, sheilding his sensative eyes from that damned light spell. Attempting to destroy "lights" spell component may have been a more tactical decision then Tybault thought

mrcarter11
2010-06-18, 01:02 AM
"Well, it is good to see that I shall have the pleasure of working with at least a few intelligent people. Hopefully the rest of the group can surprise me. And if you do not mind my asking, what is it that you do?... Finwyn, I believe is your name.
And I must disagree, I am in these field, not because of anything related to stupidity. Rather it is something that pays very well and I have a lot of talent is this area. Although a promise to just not be caught or to alert the guard would be best."

Binks
2010-06-18, 01:19 AM
Ah, well, until I joined the guild I was in the business of...financial reallocation. Finwyn says with a smirk, making it clear that he really means thievery. I know a number of illusions that have proven to be useful in the past and I'm sure will be useful to us in the future, and my diplomatic skills are quite good as well.

mrcarter11
2010-06-18, 01:28 AM
"Perhaps we could work together in the future on some "financial reallocation", I am sure we would make a fairly good team. And maybe William could join us for some fun, I could use some extra money. Maybe you two could as well? In any case, if anyone would like to handle some reallocation, I would be happy to assist, I am looking to get some money together, so let me know. On the subject as hand, I believe myself, Finwyn, and William have voiced for the business sector, and another for either. Which would give us majority, since that is settled, why don't we stop wasting the time of our host and be on our way. We can disscuss the mage elsewhere, agreed?"

Saveducks
2010-06-18, 02:00 AM
"Ya I supoose we shud leave, let thes guy" Tybault jabs his thumb toward Malvic Swoon over his lost and dearly beloved candle en privacy.

Tybault casually dismisses his light spell. Concurrently Cran moves his head out his wing and begins to squeak angrily at Tybault; after along barrage of squeals Cran nips Tybault in the ear.

"Aight! I'm soory I'le try not to cast tha' spell so much"

Cran lets out a content squak satisfied his demands have been met.

thugger
2010-06-18, 09:38 AM
A puzzled look crosses William's face as he thoughtfully observes the conversation.
After drying the quill on a kerchief pulled from a pocket in his jacket, William closes his notebook and slips it back into his bag.
Standing from his stool, William picks up his bag.
"Tybault is of course correct. I believe we have concluded any discussion relevant to the business presented by Master Malvic..." William clears his throat before he continues.. "whom I am sure would prefer to remain ignorant of our miscellaneous hobbies."
To Malvic: "You'll hear from us soon."
William heads to the door.

senrath
2010-06-18, 09:44 AM
Shaking his head, Lars stood and gathered his bag. "Actually, by my count, there are three votes for the docks, two for the business and my own vote for 'wherever'." Shrugging on his bag, he headed for the door. Wherever they were going, he didn't particularly care. He didn't like any of them, and he probably never would. He was only working with them because he had to, and his master was counting on him.

mrcarter11
2010-06-18, 09:54 AM
"Well, I think this could end badly. I prefer my idea. Finywn said he liked it, and before he left William said he agreed with it. If you can't count simple things, maybe you should quit this line of work. In any case, I shall take my leave. You know where to find me when everything has been decided.

senrath
2010-06-18, 10:02 AM
"I apologize if I was thinking on things and missed William changing his vote. And it's not like I was brought in for my mental capacities." Lars said as he left the building.

thugger
2010-06-18, 10:04 AM
William waits outside the front door for the others...

esorscher
2010-06-18, 12:29 PM
Onas leaves the building, and waits next to William.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-06-18, 12:51 PM
As the last of you files out of the room, Malvic leans forward and says almost as an after thought “We aren’t to have any contact till next Saturday at this time. Don’t be late, don’t be early."
You pass Lunk in the hallway, his waraxe in one hand and a manacled halfling over his shoulder. The halfling is barely conscious and bloodied - his eyes wide with fear. The Dwarf throws him down onto the canvas tarp and places his foot on the manacle chains to prevent the halfling from escaping.

"Good night gentlemen...." Malvic whispers as he shuts the library door.

Saveducks
2010-06-18, 03:28 PM
When Tybault leaves the building he stretches out his arms and sighs clearly happy to be outside. Cran explodes off of Tybaults shoulder and glides along in the cool night air. After he is satisfied he lands back down on Tybaults shoulder and lets out a few happy squeaks.

Binks
2010-06-18, 11:44 PM
Finwyn exits the building with a smirk and moves to lean on the building while waiting for the others to determine where to go. While he waits he looks around to see if there's anything interesting going on.

Saveducks
2010-06-19, 02:30 AM
Tybault clasps his hands together and says

"Aight then how aboot we split up tanigh' and meet at um; hmm, how aboot, that cafe in tha waterfront tommora at 9ish we wonta be able to buy the hoose tanigh so les get sum rest so we can ge' some work doone tamarra"

Cran glides next to Tybault as he walks away; atleast he will have one more night with the moon.

esorscher
2010-06-19, 02:36 AM
"Agreed." Onas nods.

mrcarter11
2010-06-19, 05:18 PM
"Well, they can head home for the night." I walk up to Finwyn, "So, you up for some B and E fun tonight? Or you just gonna head out?"

senrath
2010-06-19, 08:46 PM
"That works for me. Goodnight, gentlemen." Lars said, before heading off, towards the inn where he had a room. He had no desire to spend any more time with his new teammates than he had to.

Binks
2010-06-19, 11:17 PM
Finwyn looks over at Skullga with a thoughtful expression. Hmm. Could be fun. Perhaps another time though, I don't think it would be a good idea to try anything before we have a safehouse set up.

I suppose I'll see you all later. Finwyn says as he heads out.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-06-19, 11:18 PM
OOC: DMPC’ing Thugger’s character while he is out of town.

William

William nods towards his new groupmates and politely tips his hat ‘goodnight’. He walks quietly down the street as if pausing to jot down random thoughts in his journal. He was really checking to make sure he wasn’t being followed.

Satisfied he was alone and unobserved, he quickly ducked into an alley. He stroked the brim of his hat to activate its power. His form buckled and shimmered as his appearance changed to that of a city guard.

William strode into a nearby tavern a few minutes later and took on the persona of an off-duty patrolman, just off his midnight rounds. He did his best not to stammer or stutter and was able to turn it off as if William was just the façade. Maybe it was….

He plied himself with cheap ale and bought pitchers all around to loosen tongues and settled back to listen as he casually cast his net for information regarding the mage. He resisted the temptation to jot everything down as that might draw attention.

OOC:skill checks

Disguise check: [roll0] +10 hat of disguise +6 skill (including bluff synergy)
Gather information [roll1] +5 skill
Time [roll2] +1 hours
Gp -2

At the end of a long night, William staggered out of the all-night tavern and headed back home. He ducked into an alley and changed back as soon as the coast was clear. Happy to be rid of the ridiculous act of swaying like a drunk.

mrcarter11
2010-06-20, 04:06 PM
Skullga sits around at the meeting place.. Waiting for another member of the group.

Binks
2010-06-20, 04:28 PM
Finwyn ambles in to the meeting place shortly before the appointed time. Spotting Skullga sitting already he makes his way over and pulls up a chair to join him. Ah. Good day to you. he says, nodding slightly as he waits for the others to show up.

Saveducks
2010-06-20, 07:53 PM
Tybault walks in scartched up and bloody looking relatively Cran is sleeping on Tybaults shoulder.
"The on'y prooblem wit sleepin ootside is soometimes a friggin woolf tries ta' eat ya while yer asleep"

Tybault then plops into his seat, still smelling very much like sweat and blood.

senrath
2010-06-20, 08:45 PM
"Y'know, you could've gotten an inn room if you'd wanted." Commented Lars, as he pulled up a chair. He looked rather different than he had the previous night. He was much more relaxed, and looked as though he was simply meeting a group of old friends, rather than meeting with a group of other low-lifes to plan a murder and theft. His clothes were cleaned and pressed, and there was no sign of armor or weaponry on him.

mrcarter11
2010-06-20, 10:09 PM
"Alright good to see we are all ready for the day. We just need the last few to get here.. But I was wondering if the rest of you had any ideas while we wait?"

Saveducks
2010-06-20, 10:15 PM
Tybault eyes Lars suspiciously, after Tybault dabs his bleeding cheek with his embroidered hankerchief he asks Lars,

"How was yer nite ya' seem, quite well"

Cran picks up on Tybaults suspicion, hops onto the table and starts to sniff Lars. Tybault takes his eyes off Lars for a moment and yells to a nearby waitress.

Hay! Waitress, we've been sittin 'ere for five minets can we ge' soome service or wha'!

Tybault then turns his attention back to Lars.

mrcarter11
2010-06-20, 10:19 PM
"Do you two have a problem?"

senrath
2010-06-20, 10:32 PM
"I slept quite well, thank you. And I have no quarrel with Tybault here, although I'd appreciate it if his little pet would stop sniffing me." Lars said as he leaned back in his chair, setting his bag on the ground next to him.

Saveducks
2010-06-20, 10:39 PM
"Theres no prooblem I am just'a lil confused, our good friend Lars jus' seems a lil strange."

Tybault keeps his voice cool but maintains an eir of suspicion. He keeps his eyes on Lars and merely waves his right hand at Skullga meanwhile, his left hand is busy holding his hankercief to his bleeding cheek.

Cran compares Skullga and Lars' smells whilst hopping around the table chirping.

"And his name is Cran don't foorget it"

mrcarter11
2010-06-20, 10:54 PM
"Well moving on, so anyone have any nice ideas on how to go about this?"

Saveducks
2010-06-20, 11:07 PM
"I reckon we spli' oop sum 'o' us shud get the safe hoose secured while tha res' try ta do sum recon on tha' mage."

mrcarter11
2010-06-20, 11:09 PM
"Ok not a bad idea.. So, who here is good with people.. They are not my forte.. But how about the rest of you?"

"Actually how about, myself , Lars, and Onas head to the safe house. Ty, you ask around and see what you can discover.. Meanwhile Finwyn and William, I think you two are the best suited for recon."

senrath
2010-06-20, 11:24 PM
"That works for me. I'm not particularly stealthy, nor am I very good at gathering information, but I am good at manipulating people." Said Lars, glancing around at the others. He figured that he'd be able to get them a 'deal' on a safehouse, once they found one they liked.

mrcarter11
2010-06-20, 11:27 PM
"Ok well as long as everyone else is good with it.. Me and Lars, well I think we can "convince" people to help us out.. And Onas, you can help with the securing of the safe house.."

esorscher
2010-06-21, 01:48 AM
"Sounds good to me," Onas says. "I'll make sure everything is in order there." He heads off with Lars. "You want to do the talking, or should I?"

mrcarter11
2010-06-21, 02:50 AM
I merely follow them, waiting to see how they handle themselves in public, where anyone could be watching us..

Binks
2010-06-21, 10:00 AM
Finwyn rolls his eyes at the idea of having to work with someone else on recon, but remains silent. As the others depart he remains, waiting for William to show up so the two of them could move out together. Sipping lightly at some beverage he does his best to look like an average citizen.

thugger
2010-06-21, 03:58 PM
After a few hours William wakes from an uneasy sleep. For a short while he does not move but simply stares at his hands. He mutters to himself when he finally does rise, "Nightmares again..". Though his voice barely raises past a whisper these words seem to echo back to him from the walls of his room.

Once ready he tidies his room and steps out for the day, holding his breath as he turn the lock behind him.

OOC: Skill checks:

Spot 1d20+5 skill

From his house the Doctor walks a few blocks to a nearby bakery, nodding to a familiar face here and there along the way. Leaving the bakery the Doctor continues on to a number of other mundane errands, stopping here and there for brief conversations or to peruse something of interest.

OOC: Uber-Paranoid Skill checks:

Spot 1d20+5 skill
Spot 1d20+5 skill
Spot 1d20+5 skill
Spot 1d20+5 skill
Spot 1d20+5 skill

After the tenth such stop the Doctor finds an empty lane and slides down an alley therein.

OOC: Extra-Uber-Paranoid Skill checks:

Spot 1d20+5 skill
Listen 1d20+4 skill
Disguise 1d20+10 hat of disguise +6 skill

Huffing and puffing, an extremely obese dwarf wearing a heavily stained butcher's apron steps exits the other end of the alley.

Some time later the dwarf arrives at his destination, a small restaurant on the waterfront named "Feeding Frenzy". Shoving the door open with a grunt he pauses for a moment to survey the tables. Eyes settling on Finwyn he staggers towards the table, nearly upsetting the table and crashing onto the opposing bench as he arrives.

After clearing his throat he expectorates a thick gob and growls "Where're the others?"

Binks
2010-06-21, 09:21 PM
Placing his hand over his face to cover his expression Finwyn is lost for words. Shaking his head and muttering a gnomish curse he looks up at William again, only to look down as he spits a gob of...something Finwyn doesn't want to think about...and speaks. Why me? Finwyn mutters to himself before taking a deep breath.

The others have gone ahead to secure lodgings. You and I will begin gathering intelligence on the...individual. Finwyn says, carefully looking about to see if anyone's paying too much attention. Perhaps it would be best for you to join the others though, since you don't seem to be capable of entering a room without making a scene...

mrcarter11
2010-06-22, 12:34 AM
Back with our group.. "So how do you guys feel about the mage? Think it will be real hard or what?"

thugger
2010-06-22, 09:09 AM
The dwarf snorts "For the record, you can call me Bill, and if you had half a brain you'd realize a slovenly dwarf stands out far less than a fancy foolish fop of a gnome in this part of town. While you've been waitin, I've been workin."

With a wave Bill summons the barmaid. "I'll have an ale, lassie, and don't keep me waitin."

When the ale arrives a handful of copper coins are slapped down on the table by a fleshy hand. The ale disappears in a gulp.

Wiping his mouth on his sleeve Bill nods to the door. "If the others are off, we should be too. There's little word of the fool down here, we'd best try the other side of the city."

Dragging his bulk from the bench, Bill heads for the door.

Binks
2010-06-22, 09:20 AM
Surprised by William's words Finwyn simply stares for a moment before speaking. True though that is you didn't have to draw as much attention to our table as you did. A simpler entrance would have worked just as well.

With that said Finwyn stands and follows Bill out, pulling his cloak tight to hide the well tailored clothes he's wearing as he goes. How would you suggest we go about gather information on the mage then? he asks simply as he walks alongside Bill.

senrath
2010-06-22, 12:13 PM
"He could be trouble, but I think we can handle it." Lars said, fiddling with his bag.

mrcarter11
2010-06-22, 02:44 PM
"As do I, so tell me, what are your thoughts on the others?"

thugger
2010-06-22, 03:33 PM
Bill steers their walk away from the harborfront.
"I'm of two minds on this. I'll let you be the tie breaker. We can either snoop around the mage folk to see if they've any word or we can try the city guards."

Binks
2010-06-22, 07:47 PM
Nodding at Bill's ideas Finwyn continues to follow him, unworried by whatever environment they enter. I would say we investigate the mages. Splitting up might allow us to learn more but I must admit to being curious as to how you plan to gather the information.

Either way I suspect the mages would know more, and be willing to share more, particularly if this mage is one-upping them with his work. Jealousy can be a powerful tool. Finwyn says with a smirk.

senrath
2010-06-22, 10:36 PM
"I'd prefer to keep those thoughts to myself, if that's alright. Perhaps I'll share my opinions once we've handled the first job." Lars said, thinking over his new companions. Truth be told, he hadn't really had any thoughts on the subject yet. Apart from naturally despising them all, he hadn't been around the others long enough to form any solid opinion.

mrcarter11
2010-06-23, 02:22 AM
Well Lars sure seems like an entertaining fellow. Perhaps I can make him my ally with time.. In any case, today should hopefully be nice and easy.. Tonight is when the fun will start.. "So, you ready to work Lars?"

thugger
2010-06-23, 04:31 PM
Bill turns to Finwyn with a grin.
"We're going to sign you up"

senrath
2010-06-23, 04:38 PM
"I'm always ready to work." Lars said, with a smirk. If he couldn't kill the person, manipulating them into doing his bidding was just as good.

Binks
2010-06-23, 07:05 PM
Finwyn pauses for a split second in his stride, then resumes calmly, the interruption barely noticeable. "Alright. Sounds like a plan. Do we know anything about their recruitment requirements? And what do you plan to do?"

thugger
2010-06-23, 09:43 PM
"Not a lot but they do take new members. As for what I'll be doing, I'm going to be covering yer ass."

Bill guides Finwyn to a narrow alley between buildings. "Stay here a sec."

Dice rolls
[roll0] spot
[roll1] listen
If Bill sees or hears anyone other than Finwyn around he takes a piss and steps back out of the alley when done.
Otherwise:
[roll2] disguise
A gnome who looks remarkably but not exactly like Finwyn drressed in studded leather armor steps from the alley.

With a wink at Finwyn:
"Alrighty then. We're off to see the wizards."

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-06-24, 03:11 PM
@William and Finwyn

The two gnomes, William and Finwyn, walk through the busy streets of upper Grenlin. The top of the mage tower can be seen for several blocks through the light early morning fog that’s rolled in from the sea.

No signs or banners adorn the outside of the tower. Everyone knew what it was, there was no need for tacky advertisements. The tower itself was made of large stone blocks and rose six stories high. The base was fat and sturdy looking, almost 80 feet across. It was called a tower but in reality standing before it in person, it looked more like a large round keep.

Opening the large oak door both gnomes ducked in side trying to act casual. A page was sitting at a wooden desk in the receiving antechamber as they walked in. She looked them up and down with a curious glance. Not recognizing either of you as existing members she motions towards some chairs off to the side.

“Master Culver is in a meeting right now if you care to wait”

William and Finwyn sit down and talk amongst themselves about magic and how powerful a mage Finwyn was. At one point, Finwyn switches to talking in high Draconic, which was better in general for describing the nuances of illusion magic. William just nodded intently as if some great insight was bestowed on him, and it may have, if only he spoke Draconic.

Finwyn wasn’t sure if the waiting was part of an entrance test but it never hurt to be on your toes and assumed you were always being watched.

After several rounds of tea and crumpets, time was starting to slide by slowly. The page merely smiled apologetically and offered them more snacks and beverages.

During one of the page’s tea pourings, William leans over to ask the page how long they were to wait. The page, getting a whiff of strong ale from his breath, looked down at the tea in confusion. She gave the tea a good sniff to make sure it was indeed tea. She shrugged and reminded herself that mages were an eccentric lot.

She offered, weakly “He should be done soon.”

After a while, two men came from the library door. They were laughing and joking like life long friends.

The first man was fairly old and obviously by his dress, a wizard. William was never a fan of those stereotypical blue mage robes covered in white stars. They always seemed so tacky. Though when the need arose, he wasn’t against putting on a wizard hat and robe.

The second man had a goatee and flecks of silver running through his hair. He looked a bit burly to be a mage but the robe he wore was quite convincing. The two ‘gnomes’ recognized him instantly as Tybault the bard.

@Tybault

You see Finwyn and another gnome sitting in the reception area as you say your goodbyes to your friend, Culver.

The events above precede the street busking- sombrero and lyre stake-out you pm’ed me about and may or may not change your actions as you see fit.

Current in game time is around 1 PM Monday.

Binks
2010-06-24, 07:09 PM
Finwyn's expression doesn't twitch at all when he recognizes Tybault. As he stands to politely greet the two, his mind races at the possibilities, settling on two equally interesting ones. Either he's had the same idea as William...or he's working towards some other purpose here. Either way this should certainly be interesting.

Ah, Master Culver. How nice it is to meet you. Finwyn says with the nicest smile he can muster and he bows politely to the wizard. And it is nice to meet you Mr? Finwyn says as he turns to Tybault and nods politely.

As a few possible mischievous thoughts run through his mind Finwyn holds them in check, electing to learn at least a bit more before taking any actions.

Saveducks
2010-06-26, 12:43 PM
Tybault replies in pompous english accent " Oh it's Carlington my lad. You know I could not help but overhear your'e talk of illusions and my firm is in desperate need of one; our last one went little buggers, poor lad fell in love with one of his illusions but I digress, so if you look at this letter"

Tybault hands Finwyn an envolope and begins to subtley empasize his words

"It tells you where and when the meeting will be, for the job interview, because we, my firm, could really use you're help"

Note Contents:
I plan on, subduing a gaurd tonight after getting him drunk. After you secure the safe house please come to [insert adress here] I could use yer help. If you are there I can cast silence outside the bar so you can bring him down quietly otherwise I will probably trip him and punch his head, I want to knock him out so we can question him back at the house i, if you can help I am the preformer in the sombrerro I can do the talking I just need help with the labor.

Tybault and Cran

thugger
2010-06-27, 08:55 AM
Hearing this, Bill moves to Finwyn's elbow.
"Well brother, we came to find work, looks like work found us. We should get going."
Bill follows Finwyn to the door? :)

Binks
2010-06-27, 10:25 AM
Sounds like a plan to me. It was nice meeting you Master Culver. Finwyn says as he follows Bill.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-06-27, 03:50 PM
Lars and Skugga secure a warehouse to use as a safe house, making use of a little muscle and some charm and diplomacy from the warlock, Onas. Luckily they had found a small empty warehouse that was up for sale. It was a little run down but workable. Skugga and Lars get started tearing down a few unnecessary walls while Onas leaves for the local dry goods store a few blocks over.

Onas indicates he is going to secure extra wood and beds for the basement. An hour later a few common labours show up with wood and tools with written directions from Onas to begin working on the warehouse. They quickly get to work on putting up the walls in the basement.

Lars makes sure that no one labourer sees the full plans or sees the plans for the secret doors to be put in later. They’ve obviously been told previously not to ask any questions and to work quickly.

An hour, later several deliveries show up. Onas however is nowhere in sight. A small stream of beds frames and several separate deliveries of multiple mattresses. It looks like Onas had arranged for separate orders of mattresses to help disguise the fact that many more mattresses were ordered then bed frames. The plans had called for some mattresses as sound proofing in the basement.

The deliveries and stream of workmen start to taper off around noon. The labourers had been paid in full through the week. It had taken all the gold and a little convincing but the house should be finished on time.

The question remained however, “Where was Onas?”

Saveducks
2010-06-29, 01:43 AM
Tybault puts on a sombrerro, poncho and covers his face with dirt in attempts to disguise himself and then walks over too a street near the Mage's manor. He gives a lively preformance and utilizes his hat by throwing it on the ground and dancing around it. Strangley enough when Tybault sings his accent is less obvious.

Tybault keeps an eye on the manor throughout his preformance andwhen he see's any gaurds leave. He packs up and starts to follow them if he see's them heading too a bar he goes in after them and challenges them to a drinking contest he then singles out the drunkest one and coerces him to go outside giving a "go time" to Finywyn and William.

Tybault will give the bartender 40 gold to water down his drinks to ensure Tybault stays sober

thugger
2010-06-29, 08:45 AM
Fynwin and Bill stop in an alley on the way to the address provided in the note where William alters his disguise to that of a female human tough wearing polished black leather armor and an eye patch.

The two go to the address in the note and spend a few moments casing the joint, noting the exits. Afterwards they find a hiding place nearby and settle in to wait.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-06-29, 02:54 PM
William and Fynwin arrive near the Manor house on a quiet street in upper Grenlin. They immediately spot Tybault setting up shop outside the house with his lyre.

He doesn't seem to notice them however, as he was so intensely playing his lyre and subtlely keeping an eye on the house.

William notes that while Tybault's disguise is a little weak, his lyre playing is quite good.

The house was fairly large but still modest for this area of town. On the front of the house there is one wooden door and a 6ft by 6ft window - which had it's drapes drawn tight.
Around the back, there was a 4 ft gated fence and a rear wooden door. There was another two windows in the back of the house, both smaller and with their drapes shut as well. Most of the other houses in the area had their drapes open.

A few people stop to listen to Tybault play, smiles on their faces. A few copper and silver pieces are dropped onto the hat after a while to show their apperciation.

About an hour into Tybault's stakeout, a patrol of four guards comes along. Dressed in polished breastplates with equally polished longswords at their sides. Two of the men carry crossbows. Their boots clank along the cobblestone road almost in perfect march.

They approach Tybault, ignoring his wonderful music. They push their way to the front of the small crowd.

"You there citizen, move along. Play your tunes in der docks or da tentcity. These streets are offlimits to buskers" The apparent leader of the group snarls. The way he empasised citizen came across as demeaning somehow. The young man beside him, with out a crossbow, put his hand on his sword hilt as if to emphasis the point.

Binks
2010-06-29, 06:20 PM
Finwyn was rather enjoying the music being played by Tybault as he stood near Bill. The fact that no less than 3 of his compatriots had displayed impressive skills was a pleasant surprise to the Gnome, and that had him smiling as he waited. As the guards approach he whispers to Bill while studiously not looking in Tybault's direction. "Soo...what do we do now?" he asks in a casual uninterested voice.

Saveducks
2010-06-30, 12:26 AM
Tybault looks up at the gaurds

oh I'm soory I was na' aware thes streets wer off limits. Hey how aboot I take you guys fer a drank ya look like had a tough day.

OOC: If needed [roll0] diplomacy

thugger
2010-06-30, 12:54 AM
"We stay close to Tybault and cover his ass. He's onto something, I can feel it."
William waits for Tybault's next move, preparing himself for having to take out the squad of guards.
Friggin hope not... Bill is apparently useless in combat if rolls like this keep up

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-06-30, 01:00 AM
The guard nods solemnly as if you struck a nerve. "Aye, it has been a tough day. They got us working double shifts this week - like we're slaves. This city is growing too fast!"

The young guard takes his hand off his sword pulls the leader back a step. "C'mon Sarg, leave him, he ain't hurting no one and he aint being a pest. We gots real crime to stop."

The leader seems to mull it over .."If we get any complaints, we'll have to bring ya in. We got too many streets left to patrol today to stop for drinks but thank you anyways citizen" The older man advises.

One of the crossbowmen tips his steel cap to Tybault as the group gathers and leaves down the street.

OOC

-10 diplomacy for a rush job as you weren't going to be given a full minute to turn them around before the weapons came out. You moved them to indifferent.

Saveducks
2010-07-01, 12:08 AM
Tybault rolls his eyes and waits for the gaurds to leave once he see's them leave he waits an additional 15 minuets and then begins to play again.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-07-01, 09:10 PM
Several hours pass and no one approaches or leaves the house. A few people stroll by every once and while but the street is mostly quiet.

How long are you going to camp out front?

Binks
2010-07-01, 09:28 PM
Yawning Finwyn leans against a wall. Closing his eyes he whispers quietly, "Wake me when something interesting happens" and then falls silent, perhaps asleep, perhaps just resting his eyes.

Saveducks
2010-07-04, 12:56 PM
Tybault begins to put his intsrument away.
"Well it doosn't look like we are gonna get anything else done tanigh' les go ta the safe hoose"

thugger
2010-07-06, 10:17 PM
Tybault, Fynwin and Bill head to the safehouse, taking a few detours along the way.

Spot Check [roll0]
Spot Check [roll1]
Spot Check [roll2]

Once they arrive and settle inside, Bill prompts Tybault: "Now that we're all together Tybault, share what you've got cause it sounds like you've caught a wiff of something."

Saveducks
2010-07-06, 11:17 PM
Tybault pulls a dirty note pad out of his backpack and passes it around as his associates read his notes Tybault pulls out his lyre and begins to play quietly to himself

Tyabualts notes:
-Don't underestimate the area effect of the fireball spell.

-Darrius Dinus has a large house in Upper Grenlin. (You get the address from the old man)

-Darrius' constant casting of divination spells has made him paranoid. Everyday he discovers a new 'plot' against him (most are only probable and nothing every bad really happens). This paranoia got him kicked out of this very mage guild years ago.

He never leaves home as he is affraid of assassination from the 'guild', a criminal organisation.

-He is currently working on a new magical device for the city guards and insists on doing the work in his basement lab.

-cantrips can make stale bread taste fresh when you are out on the road.

Binks
2010-07-07, 12:01 AM
Finwyn, upon receiving the notepad, makes a big show of looking at it. Passing it on he speaks up, in a voice dripping with sarcasm. Wow...making stale bread taste better? What an incredible insight!

Smirking, mostly to himself, Finwyn continues a bit more seriously. So then...looks like we won't be offing this guy with an accident in the street then. And if his divination is any good this could be rough. Any ideas?

mrcarter11
2010-07-07, 04:10 AM
"Well he could know that we are plotting, it's doubtful though. I say we don't make any real plans yet. Nothing that he could pick up on. Then the day after tomorrow, we hit him. We can plan it that morning on the way, giving him minimal time to sense it. Please note that I am unfamiliar with his magic, so I don't truly know what he can and can't sense."

thugger
2010-07-07, 07:52 AM
"Makes me want to cast cantrips and fireballs... Why wait until the day after tomorrow?"

mrcarter11
2010-07-07, 08:00 AM
"I figured, we all tired from today, so why not rest tomorrow. Make a few decisions about when and where. And then the make the battle plan we hit them the next day. So it would be the day after tomorrow."

senrath
2010-07-07, 08:05 AM
"That would work, I think. He'll probably be able to pick up that yet another group of people is plotting against him, but he hopefully won't get anything concrete." Lars said, thinking. If this mage was as paranoid as he was made out to be, this could be really tough. On the one hand, he probably won't be able to call anyone for help, since they'll think he's just being delusional. On the other hand, he'll probably be prepared for most things.

thugger
2010-07-07, 08:46 AM
Bill stretches and yawns.
"Alright, you've got a point there. I could use a rest. "
From his bag Bill pulls his notebook and a quill. On a page he writes: We need a patsy. If he's expecting someone, lets send someone. Think about it before we reconvene, it'll have to be done last minute for it to be a surprise.
After showing everyone the note, Bill closes the book and tucks it away.
"Cya in two days."
After leaving William takes another series of detours and circles a few blocks keeping a watchful eye along the way.
Hiding in an alley, he pauses to listen before slipping back into the familiar form of William Auldis.
Continuing to hide, William sneaks a few blocks away before resuming his trip home.
When he arrives he pauses at the door to his home before entering.

wander/detour
Spot check [roll0]
Spot check [roll1]
Spot check [roll2]
Spot check [roll3]

hide/listen/disguise
Hide check [roll4]
Listen check [roll5]
Disguise check [roll6]

sneak away
Move Silently [roll7]

home
Spot [roll8]
Listen [roll9]

Finally closing the door behind him, he allows a tired sigh to escape.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-07-08, 05:18 PM
Tuesday

A gaggle of workers arrives bright and early to continue their work on the safe house. They work efficiently and with out complaint.

The place is starting to look almost livable.

William makes his rounds in the docks area. He is called on to set a broken leg, sew up a gashed head and fix a seperated shoulder. All pretty standard stuff. Dock work was fairly hazardous.

Tuesday night a cart pulls up outside William's house and there was a knock at the door. An injuried man from the mines had be brought to him. William examines the body but realizes the man is already dead.

There was a nasty looking wound on his neck, like a bite mark, along with obvious signs of poison. The cause of death though was probably the blackened mithril crossbow quarrel lodged in his lung.

The mine foreman covers the body with a tarp and writes the cause of death as "Mine cave-in" on his clipboard before they leave with the body.

There is still no sign from Onas.

Wednesday morning

The sun is just starting to peak up from the horizon. The morning mist has rolled back in from the sea. William makes his way back to the safehouse, with his obligitory glances over his shoulder.

He enters the main common room of the house to find everyone (except Onas) gathered already.

mrcarter11
2010-07-09, 07:41 AM
"Alright guys, I hope everyone is ready? If so, lets get ready to move, less time spent here means less time for him to be prepared."

senrath
2010-07-09, 08:21 AM
Lars nodded as he stood, the marks on his shirt made by chain shirt shifting and becoming slightly more visible. Gone was the relaxed man of two days ago, and in his place was a tense and hard-bitten looking man. Grabbing his pack, he settled it on his shoulders.

Binks
2010-07-09, 09:31 AM
Finwyn yawns as he stands and looks in Bill's direction, but not directly at him. Grabbing his equipment Finwyn moves slowly towards the door.

Saveducks
2010-07-10, 01:04 AM
Tybault holds his lyre up to his ear and tunes it, he then strings his bow and gives Cran a piece dried jerky.

thugger
2010-07-11, 09:56 PM
"Anyone put any thought into some last minute misdirection? Send the construction workers over there or something? Lamp lighters maybe?"

The William you first met a few nights ago reemerges as he pushes his spectacles up with a finger.

"Ei..Either way we should split up. It wouldn't do for us to be seen marching up to his front door would it? Where should we reconvene?"

mrcarter11
2010-07-12, 03:35 AM
"Well me, Lars, and William can go to the front door. Lars and William I trust can handle themselves. I can teleport through the shadows to get inside. Meanwhile the other two should be able to use their magic to enter from the back. I figure with me inside, two coming through the front door and two hopefully undetected coming through the back, he shall be to divided to stop us."

thugger
2010-07-12, 07:53 AM
"While the idea does have merit, I'm against splitting our numbers. Mages, even diviner mages wield dangerous magics which could be the undoing of smaller groups. Not to mention the traps he may have prepared."

mrcarter11
2010-07-12, 08:54 AM
"That was my main thought, that he has the power needed to wipe out groups of people. So why should we bunch ourselves together. It is much more ideal for us to present more targets and more threats."

thugger
2010-07-12, 09:32 AM
"Fair, I see the merit in that. No other thoughts on setting up some other diversion? If no one else has thoughts on the matter, we can continue."

mrcarter11
2010-07-12, 01:21 PM
"I am hoping someone here can create a small distraction a few blocks from the house. A fire or something along those lines.. As long as it draws lots of attention, I don't care what it is."

Binks
2010-07-12, 06:20 PM
Finwyn perks up at the mention of making a distraction. With a gleeful smile he speaks up, Distraction? Distractions are my specialty. he says with a theatrical bow.

mrcarter11
2010-07-12, 10:55 PM
"Okay then, you get that going and meet up at the back door afterwards. Well if that's everything, let's get going"

Binks
2010-07-12, 11:43 PM
Finwyn heads out with a look of delight at finally having the chance to do something fun, rather than just sitting around keeping a low profile. He heads in the general direction of the mage's house, but not on a direct course, ambling a bit to keep from drawing attention and watching for anyone trailing him...with the amount of attention he might be drawing allowing someone to tail him could be a very bad thing...

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]

Not sure if either of these applies
Hide: [roll2]
Move Silently: [roll3]

I'd also like to spend a level 1 spell slot and throw an Undetectable Alignment spell on myself

senrath
2010-07-12, 11:53 PM
Nodding in agreement, Lars headed out of the house. Those who looked carefully could see his shadow quivering, as if in excitement.

thugger
2010-07-13, 12:05 AM
William looks to Skullga, "Looks like I'm with you."

mrcarter11
2010-07-14, 04:13 AM
"Well then I suggust we get going.. We have a mage to kill." A dark and maniacal smile spreads over my face.

Saveducks
2010-07-14, 03:07 PM
Tybault hums a tune to himself and begins walking toward the mansion.

thugger
2010-07-14, 03:48 PM
William's form changes to that of the female human rogue and he follows Skullga out.

Disguise [roll0]

Binks
2010-07-14, 08:51 PM
About two blocks from the mage's location Finwyn finds a nearly ideal location. This early it's somewhat lightly occupied, but that could be a good thing, more people mean more chances for someone to stumble into the illusion and ruin it. Setting himself up so that he can beeline away from the square and be heading towards the mage's place he sets to work.

Glancing about at the people he spends a minute just thinking of how best to ruin their days. Ideally a riot would make for a good distraction, but starting one of those with unprepared citizens in a time of good fortune is difficult, and there's not enough prep time to set something like that up Finwyn thinks. So then, the next best thing will have to do.

Using some old gnomish tricks Finwyn creates four small torchlights in the sky above the square and sets them orbiting a common point. With a flick of his wrist a group of voices are heard from behind him shouting "There he is!", "Get him!", and, most disturbingly of all, "Quickly! Before he kills another one!"

Taking a deep breath Finwyn stretches his magical abilities, summoning up a large illusion. A group of city guards seems to suddenly appear behind him and rushes forwards into the square. As they near the center Finwyn pushes a little more magic into the illusion and brings forth as evil looking of a 'bad guy' as he can imagine, using old Gnomish and human images and stories but expanding on them.

The illusionary man that appears is decked in a long black cloak, carrying an obsidian staff and smiles with a wicked grin that Finwyn himself has worn more than once. With spiked shoulderpads, long fingernails, and a hooded face the man looks as close to a generic evil necromancer as Finwyn can muster. Smirking at the guards the necromancer waves his hands and the illusion increases again as a number of skeletons burst forth from the ground and begin clashing with the city guards.

Finwyn holds the illusion as long as he can, allowing the guards to make some progress against the illusionary skeletons, but as the dancing torchlights above near their limit he releases it, pushing a bit more magic into it to give it a few seconds of ending as he turns and prepares to run.

As the guards close on the 'bad guy' a citizen, illusionary of course, Finwyn would never trust something as important as the conclusion to random chance, wanders in a bit close. The 'bad guy', seeing an opportunity, smirks at the guards and points at the illusionary citizen, whose flesh begins to crawl in an extremely disturbing manner. He grips his face and screams, a meaningless sound that Finwyn is glad can be incoherent...because getting sounds just right with this kind of illusion is something he has yet to master. The citizen soon takes on the appearance of a mindless zombie, who rushes the terrified guards...and then they all vanish in a final burst of light as the dancing lights expire.

Finwyn takes off towards the mage's house...hoping that his distraction was sufficient and smiling in spite of himself at the chance to cut loose a bit.

As previously discussed:
1. SLA Dancing Lights. As high up and pretty close to centered on the square, my range is 140ft. Set them spinning about a common point. I want to have the common point be a clear area on the ground near the center, with some space, a little distance, let's say, NE of the fountain if it's centered. They last a minute without any need for concentration. Not going to dismiss them, but they will fade as soon as I move if a minute hasn't already expired.

2. SLA Ghost Sound from somewhere ~35ft behind me, some guards shouting the appropriate phrases. Deep voice, very 'city guard'-ish (if you want a bluff check or something on this I can do so). DC 15 will save to disbelieve (+1 racial).

3. Casting Minor Image (level 2 spell slot). Starting it just behind me and moving into the square (I've got eight 10ft squares to play with, so I'm assuming I have enough space to do this). DC 17 will save to disbelieve (+1 racial). Doing my best to avoid citizens...hoping they'll move away from the illusion, rather than towards it.

If anyone starts looking for me:
Hide: [roll0]
Pretty sure I have to make noise to cast at least the level 2, but in case it's needed:
Move Silently: [roll1]
And if a bluff is needed at any point:
Bluff: [roll2]

2 SLA's used up (prestidigitation and speak with burrowing animals remaining)
1 level 2 spell used up (4 remaining)
Undetectable Alignment still on.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-07-15, 06:01 PM
http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/2206/mageexterior.jpg (http://img51.imageshack.us/i/mageexterior.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

The few people in the square start to panick and run off down the street to the east. A few people dart back into their homes and slam the door.

One guy stops and seems to realize that something isn't quite right but no one seems to be left around for him to tell. He scratches his head in confusion not having spotted the beguiler or figuring out where the illusion came from. He mills about near the fountain obviously confused before wandering off to the east, following everyone else.

Finwyn is about 100 feet away to the east and heading west towards the house.

No one is on the street, most have either fled or gone back inside and barred their doors. No partols in sight though that may change given the ruckus on the street.

Feel free to place youselves anywhere on the map and declare actions. We aren't in init yet.

The doors are wooden.

The windows are glass, no bars or anything but the drapes are drawn. No one stirs from inside the house during the commotion.
The house is one story tall and all windows are only 4 feet off the ground.

And yes, Trees are rectangular in this world.

senrath
2010-07-15, 06:19 PM
Grinning as he rushed forwards to the mage's front door, Lars drew his greatsword from the pack he wore, which common sense said was far too small to hold the weapon. Pulling off the wrapping, he stuffed that back into the pack, and withdrew a small vial. Pressing up next to the door, Lars looked around, waiting for the others before he acted.

mrcarter11
2010-07-16, 05:06 PM
I get withing 10 feet of the window nearest the front door. I pull out my dagger intending on throwing through the window so that I may jaunt through. I look over and see Lars taking point near the door.
May in the future want to point out which is front door and whatnot

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-07-16, 06:31 PM
Good point. The bottom door is the 'front'.

thugger
2010-07-18, 10:47 PM
Bill slides along the wall to the front door, quietly pulling a few tools from his belt before beginning to examine the door and lock.

Hide [roll0]
Move Silently [roll1]
Search [roll2]

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-07-19, 11:36 AM
@Thugger:

Door is locked but not trapped.

thugger
2010-07-21, 08:00 PM
Bill gives a thumbs up to Skullga and Lars

mrcarter11
2010-07-22, 11:22 AM
Giving the sign that it is time to move, I aim the dagger at the window and throw it.. As it crashes through the class the curtains are moved aside enough that I see inside, taking that as my only chance, I jaunt inside. I take notice of my surroundings.
Checks!
Listen [roll0]
Spot [roll1]
Hide [roll2]
Move Silently [roll3]

thugger
2010-07-22, 06:48 PM
Bill slides his tools into the lock and attempts to turn the bolt after a moment

Init d20+2 = [roll0]
Open Lock d20+11 = [roll1]

If the lock opens Bill will be attempting to hide/move silently inside, he'd prefer any attention was focused on Skullga

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-07-22, 07:51 PM
The door lock refuses to budge for William.

senrath
2010-07-22, 08:00 PM
"Step aside." Lars said, gently pushing William away from the door. Raising his greatsword above his head, he brought it crashing down on the door, intending to break it in half.

Alright, assuming this is a Strong Wooden Door, it has an AC of 3, a Hardness of 5, and 20 HP. If it's a Good Wooden Door, it's the same, but with only 15 HP.

[roll0] (Power attacking for 4. I'll hit on anything but a 1)
[roll1]

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-07-22, 08:12 PM
The greatsword slams into the door. Wood splitters fly everywhere.

*Crunch*

The door is in a terrible state, with a huge gash running down it's center, but barely holds on. You can actually see inside a little bit.

It's a 'good door'. 5 hardness 1 Hp left

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-07-23, 03:20 AM
Map:

http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/3937/magehouseinteriour.jpg

The knife goes crashing through the window and takes a large chunk of drapes with it as it imbeds itself into the opposite wall. Skugga’s field of vision is limited but manages to teleport successfully into the house.

Unfortunately the house is very well lit. Several candles are scattered on various pieces of furniture. Skugga’s careful eye picks out that the candles aren’t actually lit, but are still putting out quite a bit of light.

A few couches form an L shape in the living room. A few low coffee tables are scattered around seemingly randomly. They are dusty and currently their purpose seems to be holding a random collection of books rather than for entertaining.

A large wooden pillar supports the roof halfway between the living room and dining room, otherwise there isn’t anything dividing these rooms from the kitchen even.

Sitting around a huge twenty foot long formal dinning table are four flabbergasted guardsmen, dressed in the city’s colours.

“What the heck?” one of the says.

As if to respond, another shakes his head “Well blast it, that crazy mage was right after all.” The man manages to raise his crossbow hap-hazardly and aims in Skugga’s general direction.

It appears that the guards were having breakfast. Half a sausage was wedged into one stunned young man whose eyes went as large as wagon wheels at Skugga’s dramatic entry.

The young man nearly chokes on his sausage as a massive bang from the front door echoes through the house. The sound of splintering wood seems to startle the group.

@Binks
I assume Finwyn ran as fast as he could to get back to the group. I placed him on the map for going in the front door. If you were going to the backdoor, just let me know and I’ll swap you around on the map.

@Saveducks – just need a standard action for you before we move on.

Don’t forget to end your post with your hps/ac/saves/ and position on the grid.

thugger
2010-07-23, 08:23 AM
Bill curses softly as the lock jams, then dives aside as Lars sword crashes into the door.

No action, just flavor.

HP: 17
AC: 14 +2 dex, +2 leather armor (touch: 12, flat footed 12)
Init: 6 (+2 dex)
Fort: +1
Ref: +5
Will: +4
Speed: 30

Ongoing effects:
None

Special Defenses:
evasion
healed by negative energy, harmed by positive energy

Spells left:
1stx4
Spell list:
Bane
Bestow Wound
Cause Fear
Chill Touch
Detect Magic
Detect Undead
Doom
Hide from Undead
Inflict light wounds
Ray of enfeeblement
Summon undead 1
Undetectable alignment
Items/other:
Rebuke undead x5 remaining for today
Heal belt charges 3 charges (harms William)
Charnel touch (at will, no more than once per round, melee touch attack, 1d8 dmg to living target)
pipes of the sewers - summon 1d3 rat swarms (p239 MM1) if rats are within 400 ft. Rats arrive in 1 round/50ft travelled. DC 10 perform check, Rats obey commands of user if perform check is successful, turn on user if unsuccessful

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-07-23, 11:21 PM
Tybalt quietly checks the door at the back door and realizes that it is firmly locked.

"Drats!" he says. He checks his pockets and realizes that he doesn't have any lock picks on him.

"ACH! Double Drats!" he says. The little bat on his shoulder squeeks in his ear, reaming him out for being so careless.

Tybalt hears a large crash from the front of the house hears a commotion inside the house.

He moves towards the window but his view is still obstructed by the curtains. He draws his bow and smashes the window and tears down the curtain to see inside. He spots the guards sitting to his south and he aims his bow in their direction.

=================

The guard that has his wits about him takes aim at Skugga and fires his crossbow. He squeezes the trigger and takes a hasty shot in Skugga's direction.

[roll0]
[roll1]

The arrow thunks into the wall near skugga's head but is otherwise off the mark. It hits and lodges near the dagger, still vibrating from the shot.

Unable to think up anything witty, he shouts "Die intruder!" he then moves back into the corner.

His companions are still locked with shock across their faces. They manage to stand up but are still clearly taken aback.

Map and what not:

So everyone go ahead and post a full rounds worth of actions.

http://a.imageshack.us/img188/9500/round1l.png

mrcarter11
2010-07-23, 11:28 PM
I move towards the table and guards (Q14) and once I close the distance, I use Hatchling's Flame(30ft cone, 2d6 fire) casting it towards the guards seated at the table
Damage [roll0]

senrath
2010-07-24, 12:16 AM
Pulling his blade free from the door, Lars shifted his grip, then slammed the blade back in, and through, the door. Pushing through the wrecked door, he used the vial he had withdrawn on his blade and moved to engage the guards.

I'll break through the door, unless I roll a one on the attack (I'll edit this post if that happens). Then using Drow Knockout Poison on my weapon (swift action), and moving to R16.

[roll0] (Power attacking for 4)
[roll1]

HP: 37/37
AC: 14
Spells Left: 1/1

Binks
2010-07-24, 12:24 AM
Noticing that the others have started the attack without him Finwyn mutters a spell under his breath, quite a task when you're already breathing heavily from running, and moves to join the battle as quickly as possible.

Actions
Standard: Cast Expeditious Retreat for +30ft movement
Move: Move to R21, diagonal up-left 3 (1-2-1) then left 6.

Status

HP: 27
AC: 15 +2 dex, +2 leather armor (touch: 13, flat footed 13)
Init: 2 (+2 dex)
Fort: +3
Ref: +3
Will: +3
Speed: 50'

Ongoing effects:
Expeditious Retreat (4m left)
Undetectable Alignment (lasts all day)

Special Defenses:
none

Spells left:
6 level 0
6 level 1
3 level 2

Spell list:

Level 0:
Dancing Lights
Daze
Detect Magic
Ghost Sound
Read Magic
Level 1:
Charm Person
Color Spray
Comprehend Language
Detect Secret Door
Disguise Self
Distract Assailant
Expeditious Retreat
Hypnotism
Mage Armor
Obscuring Mist
Rouse
Silent Image
Sleep
Undetectable Alignment
Whelm
Level 2:
Blinding Color Spray
Blur
Daze Monster
Detect Thoughts
Fog Cloud
Glitterdust
Hypnotic Pattern
Invisibility
Knock
Minor Image
Mirror Image
Misdirection
See Invisibility
Silence
Spider Climb
Stay the Hand
Touch of Idiocy
Vertigo
Whelming Burst

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-07-24, 12:34 AM
Tybault

Tybault nocks an arrow and squints with one eye. He lets loose an arrow at one of the guards.

OOC

[roll0]
[roll1]

The arrow slams into the arm of the guard with the crossbow.

After he fires the arrow he attempts to climb the wall and enter through the window. The guard yells out in pain but still stands.

"Ugh" Tybault says as he cuts himself on some glass.

thugger
2010-07-24, 09:47 AM
Bill quietly and carefully slides in through the door hoping to go unnoticed by taking advantage of the guards attention being drawn to Lars, Skugga and Tybault.

Might be pointless since there's no cover but I'll try it anyways
Hide [roll0]
Move silently [roll1]
half move, drawing and loading hand crossbow while moving

new Location: R19

Ongoing effects:
None

Special Defenses:
evasion

Spells left:
1stx4
Spell list:
Bane
Bestow Wound
Cause Fear
Chill Touch
Detect Magic
Detect Undead
Doom
Hide from Undead
Inflict light wounds
Ray of enfeeblement
Summon undead 1
Undetectable alignment
Items/other:
Charnel touch (at will, no more than once per round, melee touch attack, 1d8 dmg to living target)
pipes of the sewers - summon 1d3 rat swarms (p239 MM1) if rats are within 400 ft. Rats arrive in 1 round/50ft travelled. DC 10 perform check, Rats obey commands of user if perform check is successful, turn on user if unsuccessful

thugger
2010-07-25, 10:50 AM
After carefully considering the guardsman for a moment, Bill's crossbow bucks as it looses a bolt at the nearest of them.

OOC

Pretty much no chance my 6 init beats the guards, but I'll throw sneak attack on here just in case :)

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
Sneak Attack [roll2]

Status

new Location: R19

Ongoing effects:
None

Special Defenses:
evasion

Spells left:
1stx4
Spell list:
Bane
Bestow Wound
Cause Fear
Chill Touch
Detect Magic
Detect Undead
Doom
Hide from Undead
Inflict light wounds
Ray of enfeeblement
Summon undead 1
Undetectable alignment
Items/other:

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-07-26, 01:42 AM
As Skullga lunges forward he releases a wide gout of flames that hits all the guardsmen squarely. Before the guardsmen can respond the door flies apart under the relentless pounding of Lars. He dashes into the room and readies his massive sword for hacking.

The third guard of the bunch, still with food in his mouth and now on fire has his muffled scream cut short by William firing his crossbow into the poor man's eye. He drops silently back into his chair - clearly dead.

The fourth guard closes with Skullga and engages the swordsage with his longsword. Already loosing thier numbers to the withering assault the guard attacks recklessly.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Result: Skullga is unharmed but it came close

The two other guards take aim with their crossbows, one aims for Lars. One aims for Tybault...

[roll2]
[roll3]

Result: Lars takes 4 damage from an arrow graze

[roll4]
[roll5]
result: miss on Tybault

Map

http://a.imageshack.us/img36/5258/turn15.jpg

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-07-26, 01:50 AM
Tybault

Tybault laughes as the feeble shot from the guard goes wide.

"You'll need ta do better than that!" He says, wiping his cut hand on his breeches before firing again.

"Let's end thars quickly."

[roll0]
[roll1]

Tybault's shot is way wide as well and nearly hits the roof. Some blood that was still on his hand made the bow string slip from his hand at the wrong moment.

"Blast!"

mrcarter11
2010-07-26, 02:08 AM
Smirking at the guard and his failure to hit me, I attack with my chain, coating it in shadows that seem to attack the guard as well.

Still sitting in Q14, using clinging shadow strike
attack roll [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
Shadow Damage [roll2]
If it hits, guard makes a fort save, DC=14. On failure, he suffers a 20% miss chance next turn.

Lets see..
AC 19
Stance Island of Blades
Maneuvers left: Burning Blade, Fire Riposte, Shadow Blade Strike,
Maneuvers used: Shadow Jaunt, Hatchling's Flame, Clinging Shadow Strike

Binks
2010-07-26, 09:14 AM
Finwyn takes a deep breath before stepping through the doorway. Quickly taking in the situation he throws a quick spell at one of the guards as he enters.

Actions
Move: Move to Q18, up-left 1, up 2
Standard: Cast Daze on G2. Level 0 enchantment so DC 15 (10+4[int]+1[focus]) will save to negate. Regardless of whether he negates or not if he's affected (ie if he has less than 4 HD) he gets -2 to attacks and AC for one round from Unsettling Enchantment (mind affecting).

Status

Ongoing effects:
Expeditious Retreat (39r left)

Special Defenses:
none

Spells left:
5 level 0
6 level 1
3 level 2

Spell list:
Level 0:
Dancing Lights
Daze
Detect Magic
Ghost Sound
Read Magic
Level 1:
Charm Person
Color Spray
Comprehend Language
Detect Secret Door
Disguise Self
Distract Assailant
Expeditious Retreat
Hypnotism
Mage Armor
Obscuring Mist
Rouse
Silent Image
Sleep
Undetectable Alignment
Whelm
Level 2:
Blinding Color Spray
Blur
Daze Monster
Detect Thoughts
Fog Cloud
Glitterdust
Hypnotic Pattern
Invisibility
Knock
Minor Image
Mirror Image
Misdirection
See Invisibility
Silence
Spider Climb
Stay the Hand
Touch of Idiocy
Vertigo
Whelming Burst

senrath
2010-07-26, 12:52 PM
Lars

As Lars moved to attack the guards, his shadow creature moved as well. Using the opening provided by the draining magics of his shadow panther, Lars struck out with all of his might.

G1 and G2 take -2 to saves and AC for being next to the panther. If the attack strikes, G2 (assuming he's alive) must make a DC13 fort save or fall unconscious for [roll0] hours.

[roll1] (Power attacking for 2)
[roll2]

Dark Companion Location: V14
HP: 33/37

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-07-26, 01:23 PM
OOC: Mini-update

[roll0] vs DC 15

Just waiting on Thugger

The second guard shakes his head dazed by the beguiler's spell. Attacked and distracted by Lar's phantom he is quickly cut down by a large sweeping attack from the massive two handed sword.

thugger
2010-07-26, 02:15 PM
Bill calmly loads another bolt into his hand crossbow.

Catching the eye of the surviving guard he commands "Surrender yourself, kneel quietly on the floor and there's a possibility you might survive this. Persist and perish."

OOC

Couldn't figure out if G4 and G1 are still up or just G1. If both are up this is directed at G1.
Intimidate
Reeeaally hope that roll doesn't suck.
Situation bonus?
If Diplomacy is the more relevant skill (not trying to shake his morale, trying to convince him to surrender) then drop the crossbow reload as it's a full round action
Diplomacy [roll]1d20+6-10
+6 skill/bonus, -10 for rushing the diplomacy

status

Ongoing effects:
None

Special Defenses:
evasion

Spells left:
1stx4
Spell list:
Bane
Bestow Wound
Cause Fear
Chill Touch
Detect Magic
Detect Undead
Doom
Hide from Undead
Inflict light wounds
Ray of enfeeblement
Summon undead 1
Undetectable alignment
Items/other:

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-07-26, 03:02 PM
Updated map:

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/3318/round25.jpg

The fourth guard continues his doomed melee with the dangerous swordsage. He swings his long sword again.

attack: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]

He missed Skullga by a mile.

The other remaining guard (Guard 1) moves away from the shadow panthar and the man with the massive sword. He obviously didn't want any of it.

"You killed Franklin!" he responds to William before firing an arrow his way. The arrow thunks into William's chest. Apparently Bill wasn't able to convince him to surrender.

attack: [roll2] Damage: [roll3]

William takes a crossbow bolt to the chest, 7 damage

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-07-26, 03:37 PM
Tybault

Tybault nocks another arrow and squints with one eye. He lets loose an arrow at guard 1 .

OOC

[roll0]
[roll1]

The guard with the crossbow pitches forward, an arrow lodged in his back. "arrrrgh" he screams as he is obviously bordering on passing out. (aka 0 hps)

thugger
2010-07-26, 04:04 PM
Bill pulls the bolt from his chest and glances down at the blood running down his shirt. After tugging a glove from one hand he places an exposed finger to the wound.

Astonishingly the flesh peels back from his hand revealing the bone, sinew and meat beneath. This gorey claw pulses briefly before the skin crawls back down Bill's fingers.
As Bill pulls the glove back onto his hand you notice that though the blood stain remains: the wound has disappeared.

"Gentlemen, please keep that one alive... for now. He'll join "Franklin" soon enough."

OOC

Charnel touch + Tomb-tainted soul = Bill gets healed 1 hp
no move

Status

HP: 11

Ongoing effects:
None

Special Defenses:
evasion

Spells left:
1stx4
Spell list:
Bane
Bestow Wound
Cause Fear
Chill Touch
Detect Magic
Detect Undead
Doom
Hide from Undead
Inflict light wounds
Ray of enfeeblement
Summon undead 1
Undetectable alignment
Items/other:

mrcarter11
2010-07-26, 11:40 PM
Seeing as how the last guard is in front of me.. I swing the chain and another chain appears in the air, a glowing blue in color. Both chains move to attack the last guard.
I use the Shadow Blade Technique..
Two attack rolls.. If both are 16 or over, I use the lower.. If not, I use the highest..
Attack 1 [roll0]
Attack 2 [roll1]
Damage [roll2] And if I use the cold energy [roll3]

AC 19
Q14

Maneuvers Left: Fire Riposte and Burning Blade
Maneuvers Used: Shadow Jaunt, Shadow Clinging Strike, Shadow Blade Technique and Hatchling's Flame.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-07-27, 12:17 AM
The two remains guards try their best to put up a fight.

The guard still holding a crossbow (Guard 1) is shot by Tybault and drops to one knee obviously on the verge of unconsciousness.

He is at 0 hps, bleeding and burnt

The guard with the sword (Guard 4), engaged with Skullga, dodges the magical duplicate of Skullga's weapon but gets caught full force with the spiked chain and slums to the ground with a horrific wound. (-5 hps)

The other two guards are beyond help and have pasted on to the next life.

The very injuried guard holding the crossbow drops it immediately and says "For godsakes man! Don't shoot, I have a wife and family! Please spare me!" He puts up his hands in surrender

We're technically out of inititive. 2 rounds have past since the window was broken.

thugger
2010-07-27, 09:06 AM
To the rest of the group:
"Someone bind him, hands and feet."

To the guard:
"You have until they bind you to tell us everything you know of the mage, his whereabouts and this house. Do not displease me."

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-07-27, 12:08 PM
"He's in his lab... downstairs" The guard squeeks out, flinching away from William.

mrcarter11
2010-07-27, 12:18 PM
"Well, this plan has gone down the drain. He knows we are here and knew we were coming. Who knows how many more guards he has or what other defenses the mage may have ready for us. A quick vote is needed I think. So men, are you ready for this and shall we continue on?" While each member of the group decides on how to vote, I take the time meditate and clear my head.
Some DM's rule that you have to rest after an encounter to recover the maneuvers you used, some don't. So I figured I would rest and recover them if you are the type to say I must

thugger
2010-07-27, 12:29 PM
Bill nods and glances at the shatterd front door.
"Something needs to be done about this as well. If anyone has some minor illusion magic that would suffice.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-07-27, 12:51 PM
Tybault moves to tie up the remaining guard as William suggests.

OOC

As long as there are a couple rounds between encounters I have no problem the swordsage recovery mechanism as RAW. Recovery is more about putting limits in actual combat, at least that's my opinion.

I'm just going to assume you'd do things like stretch or clear your mind, or yoga after a fight.

thugger
2010-07-27, 05:21 PM
"Thank you Tybault."

To Skullga Bill says "I don't see the situation as being as desperate as you imply. In my opinion we need to cover our back and proceed with searching the premise for the mage."

Binks
2010-07-27, 06:47 PM
What makes you think he knows we're coming? He might just normally have this many guards. And so what if he might know, we knew that was a danger going in. Let's get moving downstairs I say!

thugger
2010-07-27, 06:59 PM
"Be thorough, be careful. Search the upstairs first, don't leave anything that might bite us in the back...."

Bill turns back to look at the door "And can someone please do something about that door?"

mrcarter11
2010-07-28, 12:32 PM
"Finwyn, can you make the door look nice? Tybault, I want you to start working on the guard, see what you can coax out of him. Willam start seaching this floor see what you can find. The mage might have something nice laying around. Once the door is handled, Finwyn assist Bill. Lars and myself shall check the rest of this floor and see if any more hostiles are here. And when the guards scream that the mage was right, I'm gonna guess he knew we were coming, alright Finwyn?"

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-07-28, 01:10 PM
Tybault

Tybault pulls up a chair and sits down beside the bound and cowering guard.

"I think da window breaking and hacking der door down were probably less than stealhy clues we was coming."

He turns towards the guard and begins asking him all sorts of questions.

thugger
2010-07-28, 01:19 PM
"Keep in mind everyone called this mage paranoid, when they were saying "Holy crap the mage was right" they were probably expressing their disbelief."

Bill begins searching the house, starting with this room, then the pantry.

Search - main room [roll0]
Search - pantry [roll1]
While doing so Bill massages more negative energy into the wound at his chest. It takes 6 rounds for Bill to hit full hitpoints.
Particularly trying to keep the guard from noticing - Sleight of hand [roll2]

mrcarter11
2010-07-28, 01:25 PM
"I think we can all agree the plan wasn't the most stealthy thing ever. But we caught them unaware. And we were able to get a hostage. And I was just saying that the mage most likely knows we are here."
I open the door at M11, and look inside.
Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-07-28, 04:16 PM
William searches around the main area and the pantry but finds nothing of interest. The mage's pantry is very well stocked with barrels of perserved meats and several sacks of flour and other grains. Nothing seems to stand out though. William continues to grope himself out of sight of the guard.

2 rounds of quick searching, 2 hps from charnal touch.

Skullga opens the first door in the hallway. It appears to be a spare or guest bedroom. Furniture is spare but tasteful. A thin layer of dust is visible though so it's unlikely the mage has entertained in years.

Binks
2010-07-28, 06:29 PM
"I didn't hear any guards screaming...kind of hard to hear over the sound of you guys not very stealthily bashing in the door...what happened, forget your favorite lockpicking tools?" Finwyn says with a smirk.

Turning to regard the smashed door Finwyn speaks up on that topic as well. "What, exactly, did you have in mind I should do about this door? I'm not exactly a craftsman...and most of my illusionary spells require concentration, so unless you want me to sit up here and drink some tea while you guys run off to confront the mage the best I can do is make the remains invisible...or maybe put of a cloud of fog in the doorway or something..."

thugger
2010-07-28, 09:53 PM
Bill shrugs at Finwyn "Guess it was just wishful thinking. It'd have been nice to have time to search this place properly, unfortunately we'll have to hurry things up."

Bill moves softly down the hall to the 2nd door, listens at the door for a moment before opening it and looking inside.

Move Silently [roll0]
Listen [roll1]
Spot [roll2]

mrcarter11
2010-07-28, 11:09 PM
"Well I can't help the way things went. And yes the guards said something about it. In any case, I was hoping you could just make it look nice, I don't try to understand your magic. I just know I like it on my side." I proceed to open the next two doors in the hallway.
I open I11, and check in it
Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]
If nothing is there, I check in the next door at G13
Spot [roll2]
Listen [roll3]

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-07-29, 01:43 AM
The room next to the spare bedroom William discovered was the main bedroom of the house. Obviously the mage was using this room himself. Old clothes are scattered about. A couple chairs turned clothes horses are in the corners. A thick drape covers the window.

The other room across the hall that Skullga opens up is a library filled with dusty books. A large comfy looking chair is in the center of the room with a large oaken desk. Mounds of dusty and smelly books are piled hap-hazardly everwhere. More books are in piles on the floor then on the shelves which line all the walls. Several old coffee cups are piled onto the desk as well with heavy dust covering.

All the rooms have several candles which glow by magic rather than a flame. Easily two dozen candles are scattered across the main floor.

Nothing in these three rooms or on the first floor in general catches anyone's eye. Everything looks mundane or uninteresting in general.

In the library there are a few older volumes about illusion spells, divination and summoning but nothing rare or groundbreaking.

There is one door at the end of the hall that remains unopenned. The guard indicates to Tybault that this is the door to the basement stairs. Tybault passes this information on to the rest of the group as they search the main floor.

======================

Tybault motions towards the hallway. "Do ya guys want me ta come with ya or watch the prisoner? Or did ya want me to leave ma bat here to watch em?"
Tybault picks up his bow and inspects it for damage. Satified the string is in good condition, he pulls out an arrow - readying himself for danger, just in case.

mrcarter11
2010-07-29, 04:52 AM
"The floor seems clear. Can someone knock the guard out. And once he's out cold, everyone over here. Let's do this and get it over with. Be ready for anything at this point."

thugger
2010-07-29, 09:30 AM
"I for one am all for having someone watch our backs. Tybault if you're comfortable with it, I'd feel a lot safer with someone up here to cover the guard & the door."

Bill moves to the door at the top of the stairs and quietly searches it for traps.

Move Silently [roll0]
Search [roll1]
Listen (after searching) [roll2]

Binks
2010-07-29, 09:55 AM
Finwyn considers the door for a moment more before shrugging and moving towards the stairs.

Joining Bill at the top of the stairs.
Move Silently: [roll0]
Search: [roll1]
Listen: [roll2]

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-07-29, 11:41 AM
The door has a small paper sign on the front of it.

"Keep Out"

The door appears not be trapped or locked.

senrath
2010-07-29, 12:26 PM
Glancing back at the disabled guard, Lars cleared his mind, and withdrew more poison to apply to his blade. He knew that they couldn't leave the guard alive, but that could be dealt with later.

His blade now freshly coated in poison, Lars moved to follow the others.

mrcarter11
2010-07-29, 12:31 PM
"Alright everyone, hope your all ready for this. It could get very ugly, very fast." With that said, I open the door and peer inside.
So, depending on what I see. I might do more when I open it. As I might teleport in and attack. But for now, what's here.
Spot [roll0]
Listen[roll1]

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-07-29, 01:17 PM
Fair enough.

Also: Nobody hears anything from the basement or the door.

You open the door and see a set of stair descending into the basement. The stairs are rough unfinished wood, more like thin planks than anything. The walls appear to be wooden similar to the shoring of a mine or other underground structure. It's obvious that the basement wasn't part of the orginal construction but was added on afterwards. Though the work is so rough around the edges it was probably done by miners rather than carpenters or trained labourers.

The right side of the stairway is a wooden handrail, not much more than a 2x4. From what little of the basement you can see, it appears to be very well lit.

mrcarter11
2010-07-29, 01:23 PM
I look over at Lars, "Perhaps you should stay up here for the moment. Let us, the more sneakier members head down. If you here sounds of battle come running. Finwyn and William come with me." I advance slowly down the stairs

Move Silently [roll0]
Hide [roll1]

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-07-29, 01:29 PM
Tybault

Tybault punches the guard in the face, hard. The man passes out. He diggs into his pack and finds his blanket and drapes it over the now still and quiet man and props him up in the corner.

Tybault then hoists the remains of the door and leans edgewise against a chair near the doorway. It almost looked like the door was just open to the causal observer. That impression wouldn't last though if they realized the door was inside the house and exteriour doors tend to open out, or the massive gash cleft through the center of the door big enough for a child to walk through. Tybault figured that might give them extra 5-10 seconds.

Tybault replaces the curtains in the kitchen and the living room, then quietly tips the dining table on it's side to offer him some cover. He readies his bow and nods towards the rest of the team that he was ready to cover the front door.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-07-29, 01:38 PM
There are no shadows or cover to hide behind

Skullga descends down the stairs. The basement is about ten feet floor to ceiling. The basement has a packed mud floor and is generally unfinished. The basement is about 40 feet wide by 60 feet long.

Scattered along the floor at regular intervals are about 2 dozen copper pieces, each seems to be glowing like a light source.

Most of you recognize the effect as 'continual flame' as it's fairly common magic.

Along the north wall there are a series of long banquet tables that have been turned into a work area. A full alchemsist's lab is set up on one table. On another table are a bunch of reagents and weird looking crafting tools.

In the center of the room is a trap door in the floor about 5 ft by 5 ft. At the end of the room on the far side is a large chest.

A few small support beam are scattered almost randomly trying to hold up the house. They don't block your view at all however.

mrcarter11
2010-07-29, 01:42 PM
I start to wander towards the table, being careful to avoid disturbing anything in the room.
Any chance on a map, or something of that nature. Just so I know how big the area is, and placement of things. Unless you have no encounter planned down here. And also, props to you. I'm starting to almost get nervous, I can't find the mage and that is never a good sign.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-07-29, 01:59 PM
Map:

http://a.imageshack.us/img835/1870/basmentofdeath.jpg

OOC: So Skullga makes it to the bottom of the stairs and is going to look around. What is everyone else doing?

That map is pretty terrible. *sigh*

senrath
2010-07-29, 02:01 PM
Nodding, Lars remained at the top of the stairs. He was well aware that he wasn't very stealthy. But he did need to remain close, as he was probably their best combatant.

thugger
2010-07-29, 04:57 PM
Bill quietly follows Skullga down the stairs and moves to search the trap door.

Move Silently [roll0]
Search [roll1]

Binks
2010-07-29, 06:29 PM
Finwyn descends the stairs behind Bill. Stopping at the bottom he walks over and examines one of the copper pieces. If it's not nailed down he grabs it and quickly pockets it in his backpack before moving over to help Bill.

Hide: [roll1]
Search (aid another on bill if >10): [roll2]

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-07-29, 06:51 PM
OOC:

Trap door isn't locked or trapped - been an easy day so far eh?
*cackle*

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-07-29, 07:07 PM
Finwyn picks up one of the shiny coins and notices it is cool to the touch. He holds the coin up and squints his eyes to get a better view of the date of the coin. He turns to his right to shield his hand from the light and is startled by a very large shiny black object that appears behind him.

The giant black thing turns it's head and snorts in Finwyn's direction with obvious contempt. Hearing a noise he turns towards Skullga who has his back turned clinking some glass vials around as he searches. This seems to make the giant black thing annoyed.

Over 2200 lbs of angry muscle and bone charge at Skullga. The 6 foot tall animal was over 10 feet long and moved like lightning. It's massive horns gored into Skullga who turned around at the last second - completely surprised.

As the horn dug into Skullga's chest he could feel holy energy course into his body causing pain to radiate all over his body. He is slammed noisily into the table behind him, but remains upright.

"MMMMMMMRRRRRRRROOOOOOOO" The angry Bison roared as it crashed into Skullga.
MAP

http://a.imageshack.us/img64/5102/basementofbison.jpg

OOC:

mechanically what happened:

A large black Bison appeared behind Skullga and charged/smited him as part of a surprise round of combat. The bison glows a little bit whitish.

Skullga takes 16 points of damage.

The PCs have won intitive so it's your go next. No, the bison wasn't there before. It would have been hard to miss.

Welcome to the basement.

thugger
2010-07-29, 09:34 PM
Bill slides in behind the bison, slipping a glove from one hand as he moves.

The terrible hand reaches forth...

OOC

Bill moves F9->E9->E8

Melee touch attack [roll0] (Go crazy low attack bonus!)
Damage [roll1]
Sneak attack [roll2]

Status

HP: 13 (lets hope I don't take a hit like Skullga took :smallsmile:)

Ongoing effects:
None

Special Defenses:
evasion

Spells left:
1stx4
Spell list:
Bane
Bestow Wound
Cause Fear
Chill Touch
Detect Magic
Detect Undead
Doom
Hide from Undead
Inflict light wounds
Ray of enfeeblement
Summon undead 1
Undetectable alignment
Items/other:

senrath
2010-07-29, 09:49 PM
At the noise, Lars came crashing down the stairs. Seeing the beast that had attacked his companions, he lunged forwards, striking at the thing. His shadow beast split off from him, taking up a position beside him.

Lars moves to D7, the Dark Companion to D8. This is assuming that there is no railing, and I can step off at C7 or 8, rather than being forced to step off at B7.

[roll0] (Power Attack for 2)
[roll1]

On a hit, the target must make a DC13 fort save, or fall unconscious for [roll2] hours. The Dark Companion gives it a -2AC, and a -2 to saving throws.

Dark Companion Location: D8
HP: 33/37

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-07-29, 10:22 PM
OOC: mid-round update (still waiting on Carter and Binks)

Bill's attack lands. Terrible amounts of negative energy destroy some of the life in the large Bison.

"MRooooo-ooo" it wails.

Some of the physical damage that Bill did to the bison did not seem as effective as he would have liked.

Lar's huge sword crashes into the back of the large beast. Part of his attack is absorbed by the bison's abnormally tough skin. The sword leaves a trail of blood oozing from the bison's body. The bull shakes off the effects of the poison and continues it's thrashing.

mrcarter11
2010-07-30, 12:01 AM
Pushing aside the pain, I spin my chain around my body. With a flick of my wrist the chain is red hot and burning to the touch. Now I spin it towards the beast, coating the chain in shadows as it whistles through the air. The shadow infused chain snaps at the beast.

So, lost 2/3 my health. I can't counter it either.. Joy.
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
Burning Blade [roll2]
Clinging Shadow Strike [roll3] Fort save, DC 14. 20% miss chance if fail.
HP=8
AC=19

Binks
2010-07-30, 12:51 AM
Finwyn stares for a moment in disbelief. Well...that was unexpected... he thinks, sliding to a better vantage point and taking a deep breath as his teammates rush in to confront the strange creature in melee combat. Exhaling sharply and speaking a mumbled set of words he extends his hands towards the strange creature and sends a spray of color at it.

Actions
Move: Move to G5 (straight up)
Standard: Casting Color Spray originating at the intersection of G5 and F6 and aimed towards E7. It should hit F6, E6, D6, F7, F8, and E7 if I've done the math right, so the bison and no friendlies. DC 16 will save (racial +1)

Status

Ongoing effects:
Expeditious Retreat (3:30m left?)

Special Defenses:
none

Spells left:
6 level 0
5 level 1
3 level 2

Spell list:

Level 0:
Dancing Lights
Daze
Detect Magic
Ghost Sound
Read Magic
Level 1:
Charm Person
Color Spray
Comprehend Language
Detect Secret Door
Disguise Self
Distract Assailant
Expeditious Retreat
Hypnotism
Mage Armor
Obscuring Mist
Rouse
Silent Image
Sleep
Undetectable Alignment
Whelm
Level 2:
Blinding Color Spray
Blur
Daze Monster
Detect Thoughts
Fog Cloud
Glitterdust
Hypnotic Pattern
Invisibility
Knock
Minor Image
Mirror Image
Misdirection
See Invisibility
Silence
Spider Climb
Stay the Hand
Touch of Idiocy
Vertigo
Whelming Burst

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-07-30, 01:18 AM
@Carter

I also added in your wisdom to damage for the swordsage displine focus ability thingy

The bison takes tremendous damage from the shadowy burning chain. The bison appears to be somewhat fortified against fire and physical attacks however Several disturbingly large chunks of flaming bison fall in clumps to the ground. The shadows fail to cling to bison and wash away from its eyes.

It obvious to everyone that it won't take much more to finish it off.

Finwyn casts a spell aimed at disabling the raging bison. As he finishes the spell he feels some celestial force try to prevent his spell from working. However, Finwyn's magic is too persistant and attacks the bison, plowing through it's resistance.

The Bison shakes it's head as the flash of light slams into it's face. He blinks twice and continues his attacks, unstunned.

Finwyn broke through the animal's spell resistance, unfortunately the bison made it's save.

Please remind me in the future about 'unsettling enchantment', if you don't I may forget to apply it's effects.

Bison is -2 to attack and -2 AC for one round.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-07-30, 01:56 AM
The team dog piles the bison giving it what for. Suddenly two large furry mammals appear, their musky scent filled the enclosed space. One behind Lars and one behind William.

They bare their teeth viciously and attack with reckless abandon. Tenacious and crazed - they attack suicidally like miniture engines of destruction.

The one behind Lars misses with a flurry of swipes and bites.

Lars takes no damage from the badger - Badger falls under the effect of the companion

The badger behind William hits with both claws, one of them nearly shredding through a key vein in the back of his leg. Holy energy coarses through his leg inflicting more pain.

William takes 6 physical damage and 1 holy/smite damage (crit wasn't confirmed)

Lars distracted by the terrible badger menacing him from behing, takes a gore attack to the chest from the massive bison. The bison obviously had enough of Skullga.

Lars takes 11 damage

Map:

http://a.imageshack.us/img340/2689/badgersu.jpg

thugger
2010-07-30, 08:30 AM
Recognizing his danger, Bill steps from between the bison and the badger pressing one hand to his leg for stability.

After reaching a slightly safer position Bill watches for an opening while staying focused on defending himself from the badger.

OOC

5ft step to F9
Fighting defensively as a standard action
Attack (cane) [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Status

HP: 6 (Bill is so ****ed...)
Fighting defensively AC: 16

Ongoing effects:
None

Special Defenses:
evasion

Spells left:
1stx4
Spell list:
Bane
Bestow Wound
Cause Fear
Chill Touch
Detect Magic
Detect Undead
Doom
Hide from Undead
Inflict light wounds
Ray of enfeeblement
Summon undead 1
Undetectable alignment
Items/other:

Binks
2010-07-30, 08:53 AM
Frowning at the creatures resistance to his spell Finwyn takes stock of the situation. Realizing that the bison is probably on its last legs Finwyn concentrates on the badgers.
Actions
Standard: Cast Sleep targeting both badgers and the bison (10ft burst starting from D8). DC 16 will save (focus +1). Spell resistance applies, as does unsettling enchantment.

If I have to move somewhere else before casting (I think the space just gets cover, which is irrelevant, but if not...) then I want to do that first, still have 50' movement.

Status

Ongoing effects:

Special Defenses:
none

Spells left:
6 level 0
4 level 1
3 level 2

Spell list:

Level 0:
Dancing Lights
Daze
Detect Magic
Ghost Sound
Read Magic
Level 1:
Charm Person
Color Spray
Comprehend Language
Detect Secret Door
Disguise Self
Distract Assailant
Expeditious Retreat
Hypnotism
Mage Armor
Obscuring Mist
Rouse
Silent Image
Sleep
Undetectable Alignment
Whelm
Level 2:
Blinding Color Spray
Blur
Daze Monster
Detect Thoughts
Fog Cloud
Glitterdust
Hypnotic Pattern
Invisibility
Knock
Minor Image
Mirror Image
Misdirection
See Invisibility
Silence
Spider Climb
Stay the Hand
Touch of Idiocy
Vertigo
Whelming Burst

senrath
2010-07-30, 10:24 AM
Grimacing in pain, Lars redoubled his efforts, trying to down the Bison in one massive blow.
Attacking the bison.
[roll=Attack]1d20+3[roll] (Power Attack for 4)
[roll0]

The Dark Companion gives it a -2AC, and a -2 to saving throws.

Dark Companion Location: D8
HP: 22/37

mrcarter11
2010-07-30, 11:53 AM
Hoping that Lars's last attack will fell the beast. I rush to assist William. Moving down to stand alongside William, I see the badger, and it's claws covered in blood. With a flick I send the chain at it. A second, ghostlike chain appears to strike out at the creature as well.
Ok, so hoping Lars killed it. And now to save Bill. I move to F8, and attack with Shadow Blade Technique. If both are higher then 14, I use both attacks. If not, I use the highest.
Attack [roll0] Island of Blades grant me a +2 to the attack.
Attack [roll1]
Damage [roll2] I got the Wis damage added in now.
Extra damage [roll3]

HP 8
AC 19
Maneuvers Left: Shadow Jaunt, Hatchling's Flame, Fire Riposte
Maneuvers Used: Burning Blade, Shadow Blade Technique, Clinging Shadow Strike.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-07-30, 12:10 PM
Lars slashes into the Bison with a mighty blow, seperating it's head from it's body.

Mrrrooo- *THUD*

The badger attacking William shakes off the sleep spell so intent on maiming and killing.

The Bison now dispatched, Skullga steps in to flank the little badger and attacks with his chain. The badger drops easily under his trained assault.

The remaining badger feels an unresistable desire for a nap. He curls up at Lars' feet - forgetting his hate for now.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-07-30, 12:28 PM
As Skullga dispatches the badger hassling William, yet another badger jumps out of nowhere to attack Finwyn. Throwing caution to the wind it gives a little scream as it attacks.

RAAAAaaaa

Finwyn's shins get clawed up a bit.

5 physical damage, 1 holy smite/damage

Map

Not bothering with a map. There is one sleeping badger Behind Lars.

The Bison is dead - killed by Lars.

The badger hassling William is dead - killed by Skullga.

A new badger is attacking Finwyn from H5

senrath
2010-07-30, 12:41 PM
Believing his companions to have the new badger situation under control, Lars easily cut the head off of the sleeping badger.

Automatically hits and crits. My minimum damage on a crit is 10 (4d6+6). I can't fail to kill it.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-07-30, 12:51 PM
The badger's nap is extended....indefinately.

mrcarter11
2010-07-30, 12:52 PM
Hearing the scream, I turn to see a new badger in the area. I move to assist Finwyn. I swing the chain into the side of the badger, hoping to kill it quickly.
I move up to H7, and attack.
Attack[roll0]
Damage [roll1]

HP=8
AC=19
Left= Shadow Jaunt, Hatchling's Flame, Fire Riposte
Used=Burning Blade, Shadow Clinging Strike, Shadow Blade Technique

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-07-30, 12:55 PM
The third badger dies quickly.

Everything that has attacked you guys is now dead.

Just waiting on Binks and William

mrcarter11
2010-07-30, 12:59 PM
Finding a brief moment of calm in the basement, I take a second to sit and collect my thoughts. To meditate on what has happened and find inner balance again.
Hm, I still find focus.. Spending a round to recover Shadow Blade Technique

Binks
2010-07-30, 07:09 PM
"Yeouch!" Finwyn yells as a Badger out of nowhere claws his ankles. As Skugga kills the creature Finwyn shakes his head and exclaims. "Can I be the first to point out I hate this basement?"

"Anybody get a read for how those things came out of nowhere? Might be good to see if we can stop it..."

Actions
Standard: Ready an action to cast Daze on anything else that shows up. If multiple things show up, cast Daze on the nearest one. Spell Resistance, DC 15 save, and Unsettling all apply.

Status

HP: 21

Ongoing effects:

Special Defenses:
none

SLAs left:
Prestidigitation

Spells left:
6 level 0
4 level 1
3 level 2

Spell list:

Level 0:
Dancing Lights
Daze
Detect Magic
Ghost Sound
Read Magic
Level 1:
Charm Person
Color Spray
Comprehend Language
Detect Secret Door
Disguise Self
Distract Assailant
Expeditious Retreat
Hypnotism
Mage Armor
Obscuring Mist
Rouse
Silent Image
Sleep
Undetectable Alignment
Whelm
Level 2:
Blinding Color Spray
Blur
Daze Monster
Detect Thoughts
Fog Cloud
Glitterdust
Hypnotic Pattern
Invisibility
Knock
Minor Image
Mirror Image
Misdirection
See Invisibility
Silence
Spider Climb
Stay the Hand
Touch of Idiocy
Vertigo
Whelming Burst

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-08-02, 12:01 AM
William

William channels more energy into his damaged body.

"ahhhh" he says with some relief.

William gains another hp

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-08-02, 12:46 AM
The body of the Bison suddenly disappears!

@Thugger

William takes a moment to consider Finwyn's question about where the animals seem to be coming from.

Spellcraft check 21

He seems to remember summoning spells can summon these types of animals. Though why you would summon animals when you could summon undead zombies and skeletons was beyond him.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-08-02, 12:54 AM
@Binks

Finwyn picks up a flicker of movement in the basement. The dust on the floor is being kicked up in a noticable pattern - almost as if someone was walking by.

current Location of the disturbance : G10

OOC: Now it's the player's turn. We're using shared inititive so if anyone wants to delay after thugger or Binks move that's fine with me.

Binks
2010-08-02, 09:05 AM
Taking a deep breath Finwyn glances around for a moment. Noticing something odd Finwyn tilts his head to the side in question before his eye widen. Reaching out a hand Finwyn incants a spell quickly, hoping that it works, while shouting to the others. "There's something else in here!"

Actions
Standard: Cast Glitterdust centered on G10. DC 16 will, no SR.
Swift: If the outlining looks human (or bipedal I should say) cast Distract Assailant on it. DC 16 will, SR applies, Unsettling applies.

Status

HP: 21

Ongoing effects:

Special Defenses:
none

SLAs left:
Prestidigitation

Spells left:
6 level 0
4 level 1 (3?)
2 level 2

Spell list:
Level 0:
Dancing Lights
Daze
Detect Magic
Ghost Sound
Read Magic
Level 1:
Charm Person
Color Spray
Comprehend Language
Detect Secret Door
Disguise Self
Distract Assailant
Expeditious Retreat
Hypnotism
Mage Armor
Obscuring Mist
Rouse
Silent Image
Sleep
Undetectable Alignment
Whelm
Level 2:
Blinding Color Spray
Blur
Daze Monster
Detect Thoughts
Fog Cloud
Glitterdust
Hypnotic Pattern
Invisibility
Knock
Minor Image
Mirror Image
Misdirection
See Invisibility
Silence
Spider Climb
Stay the Hand
Touch of Idiocy
Vertigo
Whelming Burst

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-08-02, 08:18 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]

The outline of a man becomes visible. He starts waving his arms in frustration at the glitterdust falling down and coating him.

He keeps turning to look behind himself as if he was under attack. Not a sound seems to come from him though, including his footsteps.

mrcarter11
2010-08-02, 10:54 PM
Moving towards the figure, I decide to hamper him. Swinging the chain at him, I aim low, to trip him.
So, its what I figured would be smart.. But can someone help me? I've never tried tripping before, and have no idea what to roll. Guessing an attack roll is needed so here that goes. [roll0] And then a strength check I believe. So, that's [roll1] If I messed something up let me know.. I tried checking srd, but it didn't say anything.

thugger
2010-08-02, 11:02 PM
Bill stoops briefly tracing what appear to be runes with his finger on the floor. Stepping back he begins chanting arcane syllables.

A few moments later a void opens in the floor before him and a skeleton armed with a scimitar and shield pulls itself free.

The skeleton's glowing eyes turn to meet Bill's gaze and his usually cold voice seems to warm briefly as Bill gestures towards the glowing apparation before them: "Destroy it."

OOC

Summon undead I (p 132 Heroes of horror)
Caster level 4 (1 DN, practiced spell caster)
Casting time 1 round
Range: 35 ft
Duration: 4 rounds

The skeleton attacks the glowing form(?)
attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]

Skeleton status

HP: 6
AC: 15 +1 dex, +2 shield, +2 natural (touch: 11, flat footed 14)
Init: 5
Fort: +0
Ref: +1
Will: +2

Ongoing effects:
None

Special Defenses:
Damage reduction 5/bludgeoning
dark vision 60 ft
immunity to cold
undead traits (p317 MM1)

Attacks:
Scimitar +1 melee (1d6+1, 18-20/x2)
or
Claw +1 melee (1d4+1)

Full attack: 1 scimitar or 2 claws

Bill status

HP: 7 (lets hope I don't take a hit like Skullga took )

Ongoing effects:
None

Special Defenses:
evasion

Spells left:
1stx3
Spell list:
Bane
Bestow Wound
Cause Fear
Chill Touch
Detect Magic
Detect Undead
Doom
Hide from Undead
Inflict light wounds
Ray of enfeeblement
Summon undead 1
Undetectable alignment
Items/other:

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-08-02, 11:45 PM
Skullga swings his chain through the area the invisible being is in, and attempts to pull it's feet out from under it. Unfortunately Skullga's tug isn't strong enough and the chain just comes loose, clacking together back in his hand.

Everyone notices that the clink and clang of Skullga's chain stops sudden as it approaches the invisible figure but resumed again as it returned to Skullga.

The skeleton shambles towards the invisble being and swings at it with all its might. The skeleton's attack slams into the floor - missing the invisible being who was dodging a phantom attack from behind at that very moment. The skeleton's empty eye sockets stare at the semi-visible being emotionless and prepares to attack again. No one actually hears the skeleton's attack land, it's like the sound is being drained from the area.

senrath
2010-08-03, 08:15 AM
Moving swiftly towards what had to be the mage, Lars prepared to do battle. Drawing his sword back, he struck out at the figure while his dark companion moved to stand behind the man.

Attacking the mage.
The Dark Companion gives him a -2AC, and a -2 to saving throws.

[roll0] (Power attacking for 2)
[roll1]

Dark Companion Location: H10
HP: 22/37

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-08-03, 12:44 PM
Lars swings his sword through the invisible man. The blade barely slows down. As he pulls his sword back he notices it is absolutely covered in bright red blood.

The semi-invisible form stumbles slightly and holds it's chest. Despite being invisible, it's obvious to everyone that the mage took some termendous damage.

The mage takes a step back and starts waving his arms like he is going to cast another spell, instead, he crumples to the ground unconscious. His body turns visible and the silencing effect seems to end.

The middle aged man is breathing shallow, a massive gash across his chest and another cut along his leg.

OOC:

We are now out of combat

thugger
2010-08-03, 02:12 PM
Bill quickly chants another spell and his eyes glow with a cold blue light

OOC

Detect Magic

Tell me!

Binks
2010-08-03, 07:00 PM
Finwyn lets out a long breath and shakes his head a few times. After all the trouble getting here and fending off the strange creatures to have the mage fall so quickly and easily is strange. Taking a glance about the basement he waits for someone else to confirm that the mage is down.

Spot: [roll0]

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-08-04, 02:03 PM
@Thugger

6 vials glow with faint magic on the work benches. 4 with minor conjuration energy, 2 with minor transmutation.

7 small stone slabs also glow with unknown energy at the far end of the work tables.

A very short rod is in the mage's hand glows white.

The chest at the far end of the room also glows.

thugger
2010-08-05, 03:41 PM
Bill points to the table "Someone grab the vials from the table and the stone slabs."

Bill briefly traces the skeleton's collarbone as he steps over to the mage's body and scoops up the rod before heading to search the chest.

OOC

First off: does it look like the magic is radiating from something inside the chest or the chest itself?

if it's something in the chest:
Search [roll0]
if it's locked
Open lock [roll1]

If it's the chest that radiates magic... I have more questions (what type of magic, etc.)

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-08-05, 04:10 PM
ooc:

The chest itself is radiating magic, abjuration school.
At first glance the chest appears to be unlocked.

thugger
2010-08-05, 07:38 PM
Bill studies the magic emanating from the chest and attempts to manipluate the auras.

OOC

Bill attempts to disarm what he believes to be a magical trap.
Disable Device [roll0]
Pretty much need a roll of 19 or 20 here

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-08-05, 09:54 PM
William attempts to disarm the trap. Towards the end of his attempt however, he hears a soft click. He turns his head and body away from the trap with super human reflexes. A large gout of flames explodes above the chest.

William's eyebrows are still intacted.

Saved vs trap + evasion = 0 damage

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-08-05, 10:16 PM
The chest has stopped glowing and opens easily.

Inside the chest:

1. A small written contract for Dingus the mage outlining the creation of the stone slabs for 5000 gp. 1000 gp up front.

2. A tattered spell book

3. A small mound of gold coins, approximately 1000 gp.

4. A white scale the size of someone's hand, possibly from a dragon

5. An amulet made of stone (which does not glow under detect magic). The detail is amazing.

thugger
2010-08-06, 08:13 AM
Bill grabs the book, the letter, the scale and the amulet and moves back to the mage's body.

Throwing a thumb over his shoulder at the chest he says "Gold here. Someone else will need to lug it."

Bill crouches down beside the mage and looks up at the skeleton with a smile.

"Want somethin to take home with you?"

thugger
2010-08-06, 08:18 AM
OOC

forgot to add: check the mage, see if he's dead
Heal [roll0]

Binks
2010-08-06, 11:10 AM
At the mention of Gold Finwyn perks up. Ambling casually over to the chest he checks the contents quickly, then stuffs as much of the stuff in there as he can into his backpack.

I presume the 1000gp is all in gold coins? If so, stashing them all in my haversack's (empty) right pouch, which can hold 20lbs. If there's some silvers or such I'll toss those in the center pouch, which has some space left.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-08-06, 12:31 PM
OOC

forgot to add: check the mage, see if he's dead
Heal [roll0]

OOC: @Thugger: not quite dead but bleeding out, -5 hps ish.

@Binks : its all in gold

mrcarter11
2010-08-06, 12:38 PM
"First remember the loot is not first come, first serve. We shall hand it out after we are done here. Understand? Next we need the head. Lars either chop it off or William have your skeleton do it. Who has the bag for the head? Someone must of grabbed it. Now, do we know where the tablets are, or should we interrogate the mage for their location?"

thugger
2010-08-06, 01:27 PM
Bill looks up momentarily then turns back to the mage's body and mutters "You're in luck Dingus... you'll get to enjoy this with me..."

Bill pulls out a tool which gleams briefly as he holds it up to the light to inspect it.

With an approving nod Bill lowers the scalpel to the mages neck and begins delicately separating the mage's head from his shoulders.

OOC

You missed it... stones are on the table.

Bill points to the table "Someone grab the vials from the table and the stone slabs."

senrath
2010-08-07, 09:10 AM
"I got 'em." Lars said, as he rewrapped his sword and stuck it back in his haversack. Walking over to the table, he carefully picked up the tablets and stuck them into the side pockets of his haversack.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-08-08, 05:31 PM
William removes the mage's head and stuffs it into the bag he was provided. His messy job done.

Lars grabs the stone slabs and slides them into his extra-dimensional pack. The stone are pretty heavy but their weight disappears once in the bag.

The bodies of the badger disappear in a small flash - returned from whence they came.

The basement is now pretty silent. Eriely silent. A small trickle of blood flows from the mage's neck and disappears under the large trapdoor in the center of the room. Breaking the silence a sloshing noise comes from underneath the trap door.

It's now noticable that the floor on all sides is very slighly sloped towards the trapdoor.

OCC:

It's been about 2 1/2 minutes since the window was broken.

I've assumed the following out of combat actions have taken place:

1.) Skullga is fully 'recovered' his manuvers

2.) William has healed himself to max

Off topic/random thought: Somewhere out in the multiverse there is a celestial plane where badgers disapear suddenly then re-appear 30 seconds later as mangled corpses. These badgers must have a terrifying and stressful life as they could be called away to die almost randomly by some extraplanar boogeyman.

thugger
2010-08-08, 10:43 PM
Bill heads for the stairs.
"Anyone want to look under the trap door?"

mrcarter11
2010-08-08, 10:43 PM
"Can someone grab the chest? Or should I? I think we need to hurry up and get out of here.. Anyone else wanna burn the place down?"

senrath
2010-08-08, 10:54 PM
"I'll take a look. One sec." Lars said as he drew his sword back out, unwrapping it. Slowly approaching the trap door, he tried to open in, ready to spring back at a moment's notice.

mrcarter11
2010-08-08, 11:04 PM
"William, go upstairs and kill the guard. Regroup up there and be prepared to leave. Finwyn and myself shall stay with Lars currently. And remember if everything goes to ****, we regroup at the safehouse."

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-08-08, 11:11 PM
Lars pulls open the heavy wooden door with a small grunt. The rusty hinge groan in protest, echoing off the wooden walls of the basement.

Nothing bad seems to happen.

Under the trapdoor is a 5 foot x 5 foot hole that goes down about 15 feet. The walls are well constructed stone bricks that appear to have been expertly laid. A thin coat of black paint covers the walls.

A terrible odor whaffs up and assaults everyone. The smell is a mixture of rotting food and feces. Down at the bottom of the pit is a small mount of kitchen scraps. A small ooze or puddling appears to be at the bottom feeding on the mound of scraps and is currently 'licking' a patch of blood that has dripped down the shaft.

senrath
2010-08-08, 11:16 PM
Shrugging, Lars closed the trapdoor and straightened up. "Looks like it's just an ooze-aided garbage disposal. I'd rather not examine it in greater detail."

mrcarter11
2010-08-08, 11:22 PM
"Well in that case, let us all get going.. So, did anyone else want to burn the place down? Might derail the investigation into what happened and whatnot."

Binks
2010-08-08, 11:51 PM
Finwyn takes a last glance around the room before turning to Skugga. "I like the way you think. A nice bonfire would be a good way to end this little adventure."

Smiling Finwyn heads up the stairs looking extremely happy to have completed the mission, but still on alert, he's had too many operations go south at the end to drop his guard.

thugger
2010-08-09, 07:49 AM
"Looks like we've been provided with our corpse disposal system. Push what's left of Dingus in there."

Bill heads upstairs.

OOC

How's Tybault doing?
If nothing appears out of sorts Bill moves to the back door, ready to leave.

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-08-09, 05:07 PM
As Bill gets to the top of the stairs he notices something strange. Tybault doesn't appear to be anywhere in sight.

The last remaining guard is still tied up. However, he is very dead with an arrow through the neck.

thugger
2010-08-11, 11:22 AM
Bill steps away from the top of the stairs, then pauses to examine the scene before him in greater detail.

OOC

Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-08-11, 03:55 PM
Nothing else stands out.

Binks
2010-08-11, 06:40 PM
Finwyn comes up the stairs behind Bill. Noticing the now dead guard he pats Bill on the back. "Looks like you've already taken care of things up here...where's the guy we left up here?" he says, glancing about curiously.

thugger
2010-08-11, 07:10 PM
Bill mutters under his breath "I don't know.."

Bill quietly moves to the back door...

OOC

If nothing happens, Bill leaves out the back door
Move silently [roll0]

Ragnarok'n'Roll
2010-08-11, 08:21 PM
Bill slides the door open as quietly as possible. It makes only a slight creak. He glances both ways before exiting the building and sees only empty streets.

A couple birds fly by chirping as they search for their morning meal. Otherwise all is peaceful.

Binks
2010-08-11, 08:59 PM
Finwyn follows Bill out, copying his somewhat quiet movement and wondering what's up.

senrath
2010-08-11, 10:00 PM
After reopening the trap door and shoving the body of the mage into it, Lars closed the door again and followed the others upstairs. Quietly, he followed the others out of the house.

[roll0]
[roll1]

thugger
2010-08-11, 10:32 PM
Bill's path winds an unfamiliar path through the city, doubling back on itself a few times and eventually pausing in the shadow of a tall building..

Two streets over a familiar dwarf wearing a blood stained apron carrying a sack over one shoulder emerges to trace a route back to the docks.

OOC

wander/detour
Spot check [roll0]
Spot check [roll1]
Spot check [roll2]
Spot check [roll3]

hide/listen/disguise
Hide check [roll4]
Listen check [roll5]
Disguise check [roll6]

sneak away
Move Silently [roll7]

Observing the safe house
Hide check [roll8]
Spot [roll9]
Listen [roll10]

Bill eventually winds his way back to the safe house, finding a spot to hide a few buildings away. Tucking himself away he settles in to observe and wait.

Binks
2010-08-11, 10:49 PM
As Bill heads off Finwyn heads back inside, confused as to by he was acting so strangely. Waiting for the others to leave the basement he pulls out his flint and looks for an appropriately flamable area of the house to start a fire before leaving.

Looking around for the best place to start up a fire. Spot: [roll0]

mrcarter11
2010-08-11, 10:49 PM
Skullga heads up the stairs, and quickly looks for anything usable to help burn the house down. After that is all done he quickly heads out the front door, moving quickly and effectively to get away from the house. Getting to the nearest alley way, he begins to hide as he moves. Always moving closer to the safe house.
So, if I can't burn it down that's fine. I was just doing it for flavor and fun. And it would throw most guards off our trail for sure.
Rolls:
Looking for fire supplies, Spot
Move Silently [roll1]

Checking for followers,
Spot [roll2]
Listen [roll3]
If someone is following him, he will jaunt away and resume moving towards the safe house.

Once in alley way,
Move Silently [roll4]
Hide [1d20+10

mrcarter11
2010-08-11, 10:51 PM
Messed up the Hide check.
Hide [roll0]