PDA

View Full Version : I graduated!

Lillith
2010-06-14, 06:57 AM
So I just got the news that I graduated for my Bachelor in Teaching History. Now I´m able to go to university and get my Master and History and become something completely else then a teacher! 4 years of hard work in an education that I loathed but it paid off and it was worth it. Let the celebration begin!

(I looked for something like a happy thread but couldn't find it. Saw a lot of people made their own birthday threads so I'm hoping this is allowed too. Else just move this to the happy thread and sorry for the inconvenience)

Sahaar
2010-06-14, 07:05 AM
Oh, congrats and good luck on your masters in History!

Astrella
2010-06-14, 07:06 AM
Congratulations and lots of success in your further studies. :smallsmile:

CoffeeIncluded
2010-06-14, 07:06 AM
Congratulations!

VeisuItaTyhjyys
2010-06-14, 11:47 AM
One of my friends is going for a bachelor's in education and history, as well, although she's a year off, yet.

SaintRidley
2010-06-14, 11:54 AM
Congratulations.

Nameless
2010-06-14, 11:57 AM
Congrats. :smallsmile:

arguskos
2010-06-14, 12:13 PM
So I just got the news that I graduated for my Bachelor in Teaching History. Now I´m able to go to university and get my Master and History and become something completely else then a teacher! 4 years of hard work in an education that I loathed but it paid off and it was worth it. Let the celebration begin!

(I looked for something like a happy thread but couldn't find it. Saw a lot of people made their own birthday threads so I'm hoping this is allowed too. Else just move this to the happy thread and sorry for the inconvenience)
Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for you, but I AM highly curious. Why did you get a degree in teaching history... when you don't want to be a teacher? Seems like a lot more work in some respects. :smallconfused:

Kobold-Bard
2010-06-14, 12:21 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for you, but I AM highly curious. Why did you get a degree in teaching history... when you don't want to be a teacher? Seems like a lot more work in some respects. :smallconfused:

May have had a change of heart part way through. It happens.

Congrats Lillith.

Salbazier
2010-06-14, 02:03 PM
Congratulations :smallsmile:

Lillith
2010-06-14, 04:15 PM

Crazy education over here that requires one education to get another if you haven't reached a high enough level at high school exams.

arguskos
2010-06-14, 04:18 PM
Crazy education over here that requires one education to get another if you haven't reached a high enough level at high school exams.
...that seems backwards to me, but ok then. Kinda sucks, but hey, at least it's a degree, right? :smallbiggrin:

Congrats again.

Lillith
2010-06-14, 04:32 PM
Thanks again. I'll try to explain the education system over here.

At the end of primary school kids will get a test. Each score will send them to three different levels of education. Lets call them:

A: The highest one, that lasts six years. (future academics/PhD's)
B: The average one, that lasts five years. (future teachers/bachelors)
C: The lowest one, that lasts four years. (future workers)

Now like I said depending on the score a student will be dropped into one of the three levels of education. Each level of education leads to a certain type of college.

A leads to A+: You can get bachelors and masters here. People become doctors, judges, the big stuff.
B leads to B+: Mostly bachelors here. You can become a teacher, an optometrist, not too shabby work but not too big either.
C leads to C+: I don't know what they earn here. But people learn practical jobs like being a hairdresser or beautician.

Now, this wouldn't be a country of freedom of course if you were not allowed to go into one of the 'higher' levels, but there's a catch. If you want to go from one level or another you need either a degree, or a certificate or something if I understand correctly.

Now if you want to go from C+ to B+ you need a degree period. If you want to go from B+ to A+ you need a degree in a related subject or a certificate. I got stuck in B+ but always wanted an education in A+ levels. I managed to get a certificate but was too young to realize I should move up to A+ level RIGHT AWAY. Realized it too late so I got stuck with doing the 'get the degree route'. Which took a lot longer.

So that's why I got stuck with the education I did and I'm glad it's over now. :smalltongue:

Don Julio Anejo
2010-06-14, 05:19 PM
Congrats :smile:

If you don't mind me asking, which country is that in? It's just not an education system I'm familiar with, in most countries I know of what type of a degree you can get depends mostly on marks and you can still get a hardcore degree (i.e. biochemistry or corporate finance) at shabbier schools if your marks aren't that good.

thorgrim29
2010-06-14, 05:20 PM
What country is that? And congrats.

snoopy13a
2010-06-14, 06:44 PM
Congrats :smile:

If you don't mind me asking, which country is that in? It's just not an education system I'm familiar with, in most countries I know of what type of a degree you can get depends mostly on marks and you can still get a hardcore degree (i.e. biochemistry or corporate finance) at shabbier schools if your marks aren't that good.

I think some continental European and East Asian nations use those sort of tests to track people very early. The standardized tests are very, very important in some places.

Lycan 01
2010-06-14, 07:01 PM
Congrats! :smallbiggrin:

I'm more than half way to getting a History Degree. I may switch my official Major to Creative Writing, but as it stands I only need 6 more History Classes and a few electives left before I get my History Degree, and I haven't even started Junior Year yet. So even if I switch to English, I'll still be able to throw in those History courses over the next two years to graduate with a BA in History, whether I want it or not. (And with the American education system as it is, especially in Mississippi... no. No, I do not want it anymore. :smalleek:)

Kiren
2010-06-14, 07:17 PM
Congrats, good luck.

Dr.Epic
2010-06-14, 09:50 PM
Congratulations!

Lillith
2010-06-15, 03:50 AM
What country is that? And congrats.
The Netherlands *shudders* Wish I studied in the US, much easier there. From what I understand from US universities, you go to a college and choose your subjects. Though I'm guessing some uni's will have 'tailored' subject courses if you're going to do a specific route. Like I heard people who study to be a lawyer, while another studies chemistry, archeology and art.

Over here you're not that free to choose. On B+ and C+ education as far as I know you choose a job period. You choose to be a construction worker, you choose to be a journalist, etc. If I want to be a journalist, it's not like I can get a minor in English, a major in Journalism and a minor in creative writing. No I'll go to the journalism bachelor, to get it I'll have obligated classes D through F to get that.

On A+ level you're more free to choose, but you're still in a sort of predecided education. If I'd wanted a bachelor in history, I'd be 'forced' to take subject D through F, but can choose to specialize in either G, H and I. When on Master level, I can choose to have a deeper specialization.

UnChosenOne
2010-06-15, 03:54 AM
Congrats and good luck.

rakkoon
2010-06-15, 03:57 AM
That is indeed a very weird system but congrats on your accomplishment!

snoopy13a
2010-06-15, 06:48 AM
The Netherlands *shudders* Wish I studied in the US, much easier there. From what I understand from US universities, you go to a college and choose your subjects. Though I'm guessing some uni's will have 'tailored' subject courses if you're going to do a specific route. Like I heard people who study to be a lawyer, while another studies chemistry, archeology and art.

The US has somewhat more freedom but it is probably also much more expensive. Additionally, many professions in the United States require a long term of education.

For example, someone who wants to teach 2nd grade needs to get a bachelors (in education in order to get certification) and then in most places they'll need to get a masters degree as well within a few years of beginning their job (many teachers will now get the masters before looking for a job). So, most places in the United States require 5 1/2- 6 years of post-high school education to teach 8-year-olds.

Physical therapy is moving to a professional doctoral program (professional doctoral programs don't require a thesis and are usually 3-4 years beyond a bachelors). Twenty or so years ago, it was a bachelors program. Why the change? Probably to get more money from physical therapy students.

The trend is that a masters degree today is becoming like a bachelors degree twenty years ago. Universities and colleges are expanding post-graduate programs to raise money and they are creating a Red Queen effect where people are paying for more education but are not distinguishing themselves in the job market as everyone else is becoming more educated.

Of course, since higher education in the US is expensive, more people are going into debt. The model that some countries have is restrictive but the educational system in the U.S., while free and open, is expensive and arguably inefficient.

Kobold-Bard
2010-06-15, 07:40 AM
In Britain to teach you need (basically) any 3 year Bachelors and then a 1 year PGCE to teach younger than high schoolers. That's it.

I also quite like our system of having the govt pay all tuition fees then you pay it back at about £6/week when you earn over £15,000. Ye you're in mahoosive debt, but at least you don't need the money up front.

With a bit of luck this time next year I shall be joining you as a graduate.

Autopsibiofeeder
2010-06-15, 07:58 AM
Congratulations!

On the whole B+ to A+ and what not more: I think the fastest (and most desired) way to get from a B school to a A+ education is to graduate from B, do two years of A (and graduate) and then go to A+ (as opposed to B -> B+ -> A+, which takes somewhat longer...though that completely depends on when you find out you want to do A+). You know that, of course, but I just wanted to point it out to those that are now perhaps thinking our education system is even sillier than it is :).