PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] hunter of dragons

Fouredged Sword
2010-06-14, 09:20 AM
Ok, I have a gestalt build in my head for a character and I want to see what the playground thinks.

I want to gestault built a crossbow fighter who fights from the back of a mount with a great crossbow. The idea is a charcter who hunts dragons, not in thier caves, but on the wing. The plan is to gestault Fighter // Feat Rogue.
This gives a feat spread something like this

Fla -
Fla -
1st -
Hu -
Fi1 -
ro1 -
Fi2 -
Ro2 -
3rd -
Fi4 -
Ro4 -
6th -
Fi6 -
Ro6 -

14 feats by level 6
some of them are fairly set. I am thinking something like this

Fla - Point blank shot
Fla - Precise Shot
1st -EWP Great Crossbow
Hu -Wild Cohort
Fi1 -Mounted Combat
ro1 -Mounted Archery
Fi2 -Farshot
Ro2 -
3rd -
Fi4 -
Ro4 -
6th -
Fi6 -
Ro6 -

Now I am wondering what else I sould throw in. There must be some aw inspireing crossbow feats outhere. Any ideas playgrounders?

Marriclay
2010-06-14, 09:23 AM
Take a quick peek in the draconomicon. there's stuff like dragon hunter and draonfoe that, while specialized, can be quite useful. evasion against dragon breath weapons with just one feat? yeah, specialized, but if you're going to fight a few dragons it definitely improves your surivivability. I also suggest taking a look at the Dragonslayer and dragon stalker PrCs in that book

Fouredged Sword
2010-06-14, 11:27 AM
I take a look there. Thanks. Keep in mind that most of those feats must be fighter bonus feats.

peacenlove
2010-06-14, 11:38 AM
Evasion against dragons is useless. Many breath weapons have fortitude or will saves to resist, the evasion granted does not extend to the mount (which will be pulverized by the damage if Metabreath feats are used), and the dragon usually won't use it against only 2 targets, and will rip your mount apart in a full attack.

Improved initiative is a given. Also Dodge (or the various and better Dodge variants out there) -> mobility -> elusive target makes 1 of your opponents not be able to Power attack you, a common tactic employed by dragons.

Try to take UMD so you can cast various defensive buffs (after all you are still a rogue) to protect your mount. False life, shield other and many others will improve your survivability or at the very least will cause the dragon to waste an action on dispel, or target you with a dispelling breath while he could do better things with his actions.

Rapid reload (a feat found in complete warrior) lets you reload your crossbow faster, and in some cases, benefit from various feats meant for longbow archers. I think there is also an enchantment that does the same but i am not sure. Crossbow sniper from Drow of the underdark lets you apply half of your dexterity modifier as a bonus to your damage with crossbow attacks from close range.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-14, 11:42 AM
I say you take Beast Heart Addept on one side of the gestalt, to get a mount that will increase in power as you level up.

Fouredged Sword
2010-06-14, 12:05 PM
I am thinking Wild cohort to gain a mount and then useing the to have Dragon Steed to replace the warhorse with a dragonnel for flight and speed. By 6th level the dragonnel will have 9 HD, 19 AC, 20 str, and evasion. there is an extra feat gained by the mount due to HD. I am thinking powerclimb or run for rapid retreats

The idea is to use the dragonnel's speed to kite the dragon and engage from 600 to 700 ft away, far out of range for melee attacks or charges. Idealy the dragon won't even get close enough to use the breath weapon. Alternateing run actions should keep the dragon at arms reach.