PDA

View Full Version : To Aussie, er OZ ,I mean, I go!

Froogleyboy
2010-06-14, 01:24 PM
Okay, my grandmother saved up enough money for us to Australia! Now, I know a lot of the playgrounders live down under, any tips or advice?
EDIT: We're gonna be down there for about two weeks

Deth Muncher
2010-06-14, 01:45 PM
Okay, my grandmother saved up enough money for us to Australia! Now, I know a lot of the playgrounders live down under, any tips or advice?
EDIT: We're gonna be down there for about two weeks

The first question is, where in Australia are you going? 'sa big place.

Creed
2010-06-14, 01:54 PM
I don't live there, but I went there a few years ago.
The Sydney Opera house is great, and the Outback, however plain it sounds, is simply astounding.
Just some suggestions.:smallbiggrin:

Froogleyboy
2010-06-14, 01:56 PM
The first question is, where in Australia are you going? 'sa big place.

Dunno, really. She said we're getting off the plane in Melbourne. But we're gonna try and visit Tasmania and some other places

Keld Denar
2010-06-14, 02:15 PM
Beware of the spiders, some of them are big enough to have health bars...

http://www.lollibrary.com/gallery/d/2434-1/australia-huge-spiders-health-bar_001.jpg

Fixt

Deth Muncher
2010-06-14, 02:17 PM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/.../s400/health_bar_spider.jpg

Apparently, they're also big enough to break links to show their pictures.

Froogleyboy
2010-06-14, 02:22 PM

http://www.lollibrary.com/gallery/d/2434-1/australia-huge-spiders-health-bar_001.jpg

Fixt

Holy crap! *mental note to bring bug spray. LOTS OF IT*

Keld Denar
2010-06-14, 03:22 PM
Most airlines frown upon packing any type of arosol sprays, so you might wanna think twice before packing the bug dope.

Anyway, that was just to scare you. The big spiders aren't really the ones you have to worry about because their jaws are big enough to crush their pray, negating the real need for poison. Its the tinyest of spiders that consume prey 10-20x their size that pack the most potent venoms, the kind that'll make your arm fall off while you sleep.

Have a fun trip!

comicshorse
2010-06-14, 03:31 PM
And the snakes, the alligators, the jellfish, the dingo's, the sharks, .......

Creed
2010-06-14, 03:35 PM
the stingrays, the street vendors, the resturant managers, the bellhops...

Keld Denar
2010-06-14, 03:50 PM
The drop bears...

The Succubus
2010-06-14, 04:40 PM
The drop bears...

Oh God, the drop bears. :smalleek:

Castaras
2010-06-14, 04:46 PM

Fixt

That looks slightly smaller than the spiders we had when I went to Belgium for 2 days. :smalltongue:

Froogleyboy
2010-06-14, 05:04 PM
Um . . . Is there anything in Australia that won't try to kill me? Oh, also, would I seem to tacky if I wore a cork hat? I don't want to look tacky, but I don't want bugs swarming my face

Mystic Muse
2010-06-14, 05:05 PM
Um . . . Is there anything in Australia that won't try to kill me?

No.This is not the text you're looking for.

The Succubus
2010-06-14, 05:10 PM
Um . . . Is there anything in Australia that won't try to kill me?

Don't worry too much about the spiders. Most of them get eaten by the world's most venomous snakes.

Deth Muncher
2010-06-14, 05:23 PM
Um . . . Is there anything in Australia that won't try to kill me? Oh, also, would I seem to tacky if I wore a cork hat? I don't want to look tacky, but I don't want bugs swarming my face

Maybe Serp, unless you mention the "Friend Zone" ...

:3

Dallas-Dakota
2010-06-14, 05:57 PM
No.
Serpentine who is tired of the ''everything in Australia is deadly'' meme?:smalltongue:

TheThan
2010-06-14, 06:04 PM
Don’t forget about the elusive Australian ninjas (http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/05/20/would-be-muggers-in-australia-thwarted-by-ninjas/?iref=allsearch).

Crikey what brutes!

Skeppio
2010-06-14, 06:10 PM

First question, not a whole lot. I mean, we invented the Stonefish iirc (seriously, if you spot one of these stealthy killers and survive, contact the nearest military base to organise a carpet bombing of the stonefish's lair).
Second question, don't wear the cork hat. It makes you look foolish and everyone hates them, especially me. :smallbiggrin:

Serpentine
2010-06-14, 11:20 PM
Um . . . Is there anything in Australia that won't try to kill me?Some of the sheep.

Oh, also, would I seem to tacky if I wore a cork hat?Yes.
Maybe Serp, unless you mention the "Friend Zone" ...

:3XD

So you're starting in Melbourne, and you're only staying for 2 weeks? Okay then.
Personally, I think Sydney would be better. Closer to more interesting things. But, if you're only here for 2 weeks, it's probably best to stick with Victoria and maybe Tasmania.
I'd honestly probably advise you to spend most of the time in Tasmania. My sister went there not long ago, and had a pretty amazing time. The bushland is great, and there's some pretty significant historical sites.
With regard to Victoria... I'm not sure exactly what there is to do in Melbourne. Lots, I'm sure, but I've spent more time in Sydney. In the area, you could consider taking a road trip along the Great Ocean Road, past the Twelve Apostles (I think there's only about 8 now...) and London Bridge (it fell down...), through the Little Desert, to the Grampians (have to do a bit of a loop if you want to go past Little Desert).
edit: It's worth noting that this trip would take several days, at least. It's not a day trip.

For more information, we'll need to know more about what you're into and wanting to do - nature, high culture, low culture, history, fun stuff? Do you prefer travelling around or staying in one place? What time of year are you going? Do you prefer water or land or do you like both? etc, etc, so on and so forth.

edit mk. 2: Tourism Victoria website. (http://www.visitvictoria.com/)

Froogleyboy
2010-06-14, 11:42 PM
I might be able to convince my Grandma to let us go to Sydney instead

Serpentine
2010-06-14, 11:58 PM
Well, if you do, things to do and see, off the top of my head...

In Sydney:
- Various shops and things.
- Paddy's Markets
- David Jones and underneath it (I'm told you can buy chocolate-covered honeypot ants somewhere there. I didn't see them when I went :smallfrown:)
- Circular Quay
- Ettamogah Pub (the one in Vic is better, but oh well)
- Australia Museum
- Maritime Museum
- Powerhouse Museum
- Various other museums and galleries
- Opera House
- Sydney Harbour Bridge (for a few hundred dollars you can climb it)
- Beaches
- Taronga Zoo
- Old Parliament House
- Various historical buildings and locations

Around Sydney (within an hour or two):
- The Blue Mountains
- The Three Sisters (in the BM)
- Better beaches
- Australian Reptile Park
- Barrington Tops National Park
- Other national parks, bushwalks, etc.
- Wildlife parks (they're everywhere)
- Whalewatching
- Rock climbing
- Various naturey attractions

Further from Sydney (longer than a day trip):
- Even better beaches
- Me! =D
- Wineries
- Farms'n'things
- More wildlife parks
- More national parks
- More bushwalks and camping
- Snorkelling/diving
- Whalewatching
- Coffs Harbour (Big Banana, Bunker Cartoon Gallery, beaches, etc)
- Various naturey attractions

Mando Knight
2010-06-15, 12:00 AM
Some of the sheep.
Best bet are the lambs... though they're generally around things that will try to kill you.

Serpentine
2010-06-15, 12:02 AM
Like the paralysis tick...

Lycan 01
2010-06-15, 12:34 AM
Aren't the ants also deadly? I'm fairly certain I saw an Animal Planet thing where a chick got bit by a massive ant in Australia, and it easily causes allergic reactions worst than the American fire ant. :smallconfused:

To be honest, I'd be scared to go to Australia. The place sounds awesome, but its not a joke when they say everything there wants to kill you. Can't go in the water, can't go in the wilderness, and now it seems you can't go near the curtains either, judging from that spider picture. :smalltongue:

Serpentine
2010-06-15, 12:38 AM
A bullant, perhaps? Big, black, massive jaws, get to be about an inch or so long, tough as bulldogs...

Regarding the rest: :sigh:

edit: By the way, "Aussie" is short for "Australian" not "Australia". It should be "To Oz, I go!" :smalltongue:

Froogleyboy
2010-06-15, 12:44 AM
- Me! =D

Seems like a cool place to visit :smalltongue:
EDIT: Shall fix the title

Lycan 01
2010-06-15, 12:45 AM
Well, that's either it, or another buggy dose of Nightmare Fuel. :smalltongue:

What? Everytime I watch one of those "I Survived" or "I Shouldn't Be Alive" shows on Animal Planet, the animal related ones tend to be related to Australia. XD

I'm joking about not going to Australia at all. I'd actually enjoy going there at least once to see some of the sights and enjoy some of the food and culture. But I'd still be a bit unnerved by spiders and their ability to pop up anywhere, especially in places they just shouldn't be. :smalleek:

But seriously, ya'll do have some scary little animals. I mean, where I come from, we've only got a few things that can kill you. 4 types of venomous snakes, 2 venomous spiders, alligators, boars, and the occassional bear or puma. That's all Mississippi has. (Typically. Panthers, Constricters, and exotic pets don't really count...) But Australia... :smalleek:

kpenguin
2010-06-15, 12:47 AM
Australia: The most deadly wildlife to ever be threatened by feral housecats. :smalltongue:

Trazoi
2010-06-15, 12:55 AM
I'm terrible at suggesting touristy stuff to see in Melbourne, firstly because I've lived here most of my life, and second because my idea of seeing the sights in a city is to just wander around aimlessly. Melbourne doesn't have any building I'd regard as iconic like the Sydney Opera House, and our habour is more functional than picturesque. But on the plus side - no funnel web spiders. :smallbiggrin:

If you're into sports and you're here in our winter/spring (your summer/fall), then it might be an idea to catch an Australian Rules Football match. It's a fairly unique game (unless you're a fan of Gaelic Football, I guess).

There's also Healesville Sanctuary if you want to see Australian wildlife, although Healesville is a fair distance away from Melbourne (fifty or so kilometres) so it's something you'd need to prepare a day to go and see.

Otherwise it depends on what you want to see, so I can think about what Melbourne has. For example we've got some nice 19th century banks, but if you're not interested in colonial architecture that's probably dullsville. :smallwink:

Tasmania is nice too, especially if you're a fan of the great outdoors in temperate rain forests. Can get quite cold there (by Aussie standards, definitely not Canadian).

Dispozition
2010-06-15, 12:57 AM
On a more serious note than most of this thread...Melbourne, while the best city to live in in Australia, isn't the best for tourism. Check out the art gallery and the museum, but we don't really have many landmarks...Tasmania is great for scenic stuff but not so much for actually doing things. Some of the smaller victorian towns like ballarat are pretty good for a day trip. Same with the great ocean road.

Honestly, living in Melbourne has made me so ignorant to all the tourism stuff here...

Oh, check out this site (http://www.visitmelbourne.com/). Probably exactly what you're looking for (:

Yarram
2010-06-15, 01:28 AM
Aren't the ants also deadly? I'm fairly certain I saw an Animal Planet thing where a chick got bit by a massive ant in Australia, and it easily causes allergic reactions worst than the American fire ant. :smallconfused:

Actually, it was probably a Hopper Ant (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_jumper_ant) which is a type of bullant. Yes. They jump. When bush-Walking, these are really the only thing to fear, as everything else will leave you alone. Note: I have never been bitten by one. The only thing I have ever been bitten by is a red-Back spider, and that was because I left a towel somewhere where it was at risk and didn't check it before using it. It hurt like buggery, but I didn't need to go to the hospital or anything.
Apparently being bitten by a hopper was the most painful feeling of my fathers entire life, but they're easy enough to avoid, and you don't see too many of them.

To be honest, I'd be scared to go to Australia. The place sounds awesome, but its not a joke when they say everything there wants to kill you. Can't go in the water, can't go in the wilderness, and now it seems you can't go near the curtains either, judging from that spider picture.

I seriously doubt as a tourist, you'd want to go to the kind of places where you're at risk anyway. And it just depends where you go swimming. In NT, you can't go swimming definitely. The rivers around Sydney I'd be cautious about too, just because they're dirty. I wouldn't swim in the Clarence River either, but I've swam in a whole bunch of different creeks/feeds with no problems. You wouldn't be able to find any of these places though. They're all on back-roads/through friends properties.

horngeek
2010-06-15, 01:43 AM
- Opera House

Australia has the best opera house in the world. The outside's in Sydney and the inside's in Melbourne. :smalltongue:

Trazoi
2010-06-15, 01:50 AM
I seriously doubt as a tourist, you'd want to go to the kind of places where you're at risk anyway.
Yep. If you're in the cities, you're in far more danger from the traffic than the wildlife (remember we drive on the left side of the road, so look both ways before crossing the street).

And it just depends where you go swimming. In NT, you can't go swimming definitely.
At most Aussie beaches you're more in danger from getting caught in a rip current than sharks, octopi and the like. Although the crocodile warnings on signs near water in the north are no joke (drunken European backpackers are the reason why those signs have gone multi-lingual. Tourists do die to croc attacks occasionally).

Quincunx
2010-06-15, 02:02 AM
How are you getting around during those two weeks? If you're planning to rent a car, make sure your driver has a firm grasp of left-hand driving and that Australia will accept U.S. driver's licenses. And just because I'm curious, who'll take care of the feathered menagerie while you're gone?

KatfishKaos
2010-06-15, 04:45 AM
The airplane door opens and you are greeted by a cacophony of sounds. A flock of the natives walk past you in their colours of green and gold, talking about how much of a shocker the match with Germany was. The waft of beer meanders up the corridor enticing you with it's feral taste. It is a new world, a land of oppo- Oh, wait. You step out of the plane and into the airport, accents and faces greet you, each with their own diverse story.

A shamanistic man sidles up to you "Boy, if you want to live here long you gotta stay with. Here me boy?" you try to yelp out a protest at the term boy he ignores it or perhaps his spirit guides are too loud? "The thing about Australia is that you have to stick to the roads, if you leave a road you'd best have someone near you boy. Someone who knows this place like the back of their hand." he nods to himself, a toothless grin emerges from his enormous white beard.

Really I jest, but seriously, we're going to eat you. :]

-----
The Dummies Guide to Australia

Ours is a culture of Beer, G'days and Sports. Through this mini guide I will lead you through the do's and don'ts aka, how not to get stabbed. A little about Australia, we are THE most sinful nation on the planet (no, really). We're the country to have fun! Ever been curious what its like to do nothing and earn money? Find some road works and sit down for an hour. It's quite funny. We are the country of stupid politicians, the country that takes pride in running over cane toads. Where our clubs are noisy and our cars noisier. But the best thing about all of our individuality? We're a penal colony, and proud of it (Ned Kelly is our national hero).

A little about myself, I camp, fish, drink, eat, kil- but most importantly, I roleplay. I live in Adelaide, the gaming capital. We're not really, but a lot of people roleplay for the population.

BEER!

The basics. Three types, Ale, Stout and Beer. They all taste terrible, nobody likes them but they're cheap and your sexuality is in question if you don't slug them down like your life depends upon it. I'm a Cider man myself, biggest tip for a night out. If you want to wake up in the morning. Eat, eat a lot. Drink beer. You'll be fine (at least at 6'4" if I eat I rarely get beyond tipsy).

Hangover cures! Okie dokes! Here's a kettle of fish that not only looks nasty, tastes nasty, smells nasty and makes you feel terrible. Everyone has their own cure, personally? I wrestle Kangaroos! That wakes me right up and I feel great. If you don't want to smell like you've been drinking the next day, 2 litres of, of... Of something, really its great stuff (if I can find the juice I'll edit and tell ya, makes your liver work much harder, alcohol goes through you and voila).

SPORT!

The only rule you will ever need. When in doubt? Yell at the umpire. Really, its subculture in itself. You've chosen a good time to come to our country. NO CRICKET! This is what cricket does to your brain. In 1 easy step. 1; Brain stops. Its like alcohol, drugs and a bullet between the eyes in a full day increment.

We have Football, or Aussie Rules, or Footy, or How to Beat Someone Up and get Paid for it. There are no rules, none. Don't get caught punching the other players, thats advice, not a rule.

Rugby. Don't know, don't care. Less rules then Footy. Don't live in NSW (New South Wales, two years up there and I now refuse to let my friend drive, he terrifies me and I've totaled 5 cars myself).

Now, to the more female orienatated spor-, oh wait. Yeaaahhhh, awkward. We have them, don't get me wrong. But the media couldn't care less, we don't hear about them. At all.

G'DAYS!

The killer croc. Red tail and white tail spiders (wikipedia these bastards, know what they look like, murder them with prejudice). Thats all you need to worry about. If you are going outback, you are going to most likely have a guide and they'll tell you what to worry about (if they say nothing, you probably don't have to worry). Yes, we have extremely deadly animals. I think (we do have the most poisonous creatures) we're more dangerous then the Amazon, but you aren't going to meet any of them.

The media! Our media/newspapers/online news would like you to believe that the world has not only fallen apart, a giant space alien has taken bits of our society and started bashing our heads in with it. We're a boring country (which isn't a bad thing, we're really safe) don't be a prat, we won't prat back.

Clubbing, Melbourne night life = god mode, Adelaide night life = not too bad, too awesome. Surfers paradise = Hahaha, oh wow. Clubs are good, ask a local they'll point you in the right directions.

Everywhere else. LET YOUR FINGERS DO THE WALKING. This is a jingle that has been shoved down our throat (the world wonders why we are so crazy). Google the jingle, the possibilities are now endless.

I'm not sure what I've left out... If I think of something, I might mention it. But really, this is all you need.

Disclaimer:
Take most of what I have said with a grain of salt, the facts are the facts though and most of this is sound advice.

At most Aussie beaches you're more in danger from getting caught in a rip current than sharks, octopi and the like. Although the crocodile warnings on signs near water in the north are no joke (drunken European backpackers are the reason why those signs have gone multi-lingual. Tourists do die to croc attacks occasionally).

http://sharkattackfile.info/shark-attack-queries-general/complete-shark-attack-file.asp <--- Shark Attacks. This is during the summer, I've eaten more flies then there have been shark attacks. This is once again the media finding HUGE stuff out of nothing.

Serpentine
2010-06-15, 04:49 AM
The airplane door opensGonna give you the benefit of the doubt here and assume you were typing that from the point of view of a USofAmerican.

KatfishKaos
2010-06-15, 04:51 AM
Gonna give you the benefit of the doubt here and assume you were typing that from the point of view of a USofAmerican.

That isn't really what you took from this is it? Please tell me it isn't so. :[

Serpentine
2010-06-15, 04:59 AM
Don't get too worried, it was just the spelling of aeroplane that got to me.

Lioness
2010-06-15, 08:26 AM
I live in Adelaide,

Oh, snap. :)

the gaming capital.

*snort*
With our, what? One D&D shop. Located just off one of the most dangerous/dodgy streets in Adelaide?

But there are quite a few gamers. Our gaming group's getting so big it'll explode soon.

But, ah, anyway, Australia.

Don't worry about being eaten/bitten/killed. I've lived here 17 years, seen plenty of spiders, snakes, and other deadlies. But as long as you remain sane, and don't go near them or provoke them, it's all good.
When bushwalking, especially around high grass, smash the groud loudly with a large stick. It will scare off any lingering snakes.
As for places to visit...

Melbourne: Queen Victoria Markets
St. Kilda (pretty at sunset...)
Federation Square
The museum is pretty darn awesome
And admire the architecture, seriously.
And there's a pasta place on Swanston St...Melbournites help me here...it's right up the top, near the Carlton bookshop and Rydges Hotel. Best meal I've ever had. Ever.
Melbourne Zoo (especially the butterfly house)

Sydney: Paddy's Markets
Circular Quay
Bondi beach (as a tourist, I found it pretty dam amazing. Depends what time of year you're coming though)

Otherwise...Tasmania is cold, Brisbane is humid, I don't know about Perth, Adelaide has odd weather, lots of festivals, and not a whole lot else, really (except really nice people in the D&D shop). Sydney and Melbourne are awesome. Personally, I found Sydney too large and crowded and tall. Melboure was perfect the first time around, and less so the second.

What have I left out?
Canberra is cold and filled with politics. Don't go there.
Darwin is...good question...I don't know either.

You could always go climb our large rock - Uluru.
Kangaroo Island is pretty cool as well. I went there a few years ago, and it was awesome. Big, naturally formed rocks, seals, penguins, honey, koalas, large snakes that you get to hold.

Dispozition
2010-06-15, 08:58 AM
Oh, snap. :)Melbourne: Queen Victoria Markets
St. Kilda (pretty at sunset...)
Federation Square
The museum is pretty darn awesome
And admire the architecture, seriously.
And there's a pasta place on Swanston St...Melbournites help me here...it's right up the top, near the Carlton bookshop and Rydges Hotel. Best meal I've ever had. Ever.
Melbourne Zoo (especially the butterfly house)

All good points, but for Swanston you'll have to be more specific...There are a lot of restaurants on Swanston :P
Although I don't know the one you're talking about. Don't go to Swanston often enough. Too many awesome local places.

Pretty much, stay in Melbourne for two weeks and you can easily not eat at a restaurant with the same countries cuisine twice if you go to one every night. So...Many...Restaurants...

Darwin is...good question...I don't know either.

Darwin is decent this time of year. Sunny, fairly warm, everywhere is open. Crocodile farms, some really nice gorges within a few hours drive...Pretty good for a week of touristy stuff really. It's sort of like a hot Tasmania this time of year.

Klose_the_Sith
2010-06-15, 09:13 AM
It has to be re-iterated, go see an AFL game.

Specifically go see Geelong play, as they are the best team in the league and the awesomest awesome to ever be awesome. (Me? Biased? Nah :smallcool:)

Canberra is cold and filled with politics. Don't go there.

The reason you shouldn't come to Canberra is that it's an avant-garde social experiment that not even many Canberrans understand.

Not much fun for outsiders is what I'm saying ...

Oooh, unless you know cool people here. People in Canberra tend to be the best people ever, with only many exceptions.

Froogleyboy
2010-06-15, 10:30 AM
And just because I'm curious, who'll take care of the feathered menagerie while you're gone?

My uncle's going to be feeding them and letting them out for exercise every day.

EDIT: Also, I've actually been thinking about doing some dangerous stuff in Australia. Also, are kangaroos a common sight? or is that just an old cliche ?

Dispozition
2010-06-15, 10:42 AM
EDIT: Also, I've actually been thinking about doing some dangerous stuff in Australia. Also, are kangaroos a common sight? or is that just an old cliche ?

If you're doing 'dangerous' stuff, you're either doing illegal stuff or downright stupid stuff.

Also, kangaroos aren't all that common unless you start hitting up inland, at least a two hour drive from most of the cities.

Serpentine
2010-06-15, 10:55 AM
Are you kidding? Just about every town in Australia has a wildlife park with kangaroos... Kaniva has one, Bordertown has albino ones, my university has one, Ettamogah has one...
Other than that, if you go driving around at night in the bush you'll probably see some at some point.
Basically, just about no matter where you go, you'll be able to find kangaroos somewhere.

What do you mean by "dangerous"? If you just mean getting close to dangerous animals, wildlife sanctuaries are your best (safe) bet. I recommend the Australian Reptile Park - they have poisonous spiders and things, too.
If you mean things like hang-gliding and bunjee jumping and the like, you'll have to look around wherever you go. You'll probably find something.

Froogleyboy
2010-06-15, 10:57 AM
Are you kidding? Just about every town in Australia has a wildlife park with kangaroos... Kaniva has one, Bordertown has albino ones, my university has one, Ettamogah has one...
Other than that, if you go driving around at night in the bush you'll probably see some at some point.
Basically, just about no matter where you go, you'll be able to find kangaroos somewhere. Oh, so they're like deer over here

What do you mean by "dangerous"? If you just mean getting close to dangerous animals, wildlife sanctuaries are your best (safe) bet. I recommend the Australian Reptile Park - they have poisonous spiders and things, too.

Yes that's what I meant.

loopy
2010-06-15, 10:59 AM
Oh, so they're like deer over here

In my neck of the woods, I have almost hit deer, kangaroos, and what I assume were wallabies on the same main road while driving along it late at night.

See one of the three approximately once/twice a year.

Froogleyboy
2010-06-15, 11:02 AM
Also, it's summer over here. So is it winter down under?

Serpentine
2010-06-15, 11:08 AM
That is how the northern/southern hemisphere thing works, yes.

That means, by the way, that unless you like it cold, you're better off heading north.

loopy
2010-06-15, 11:40 AM
That means, by the way, that unless you like it cold, you're better off heading north.

And while Australia generally doesn't get as cold temperature-wise as, for example, the UK... Our houses are built to keep heat out, not in.

Its five degrees atm, and I'm freezing my tits off. :smallfrown:

KatfishKaos
2010-06-15, 04:24 PM
And while Australia generally doesn't get as cold temperature-wise as, for example, the UK... Our houses are built to keep heat out, not in.

Its five degrees atm, and I'm freezing my tits off. :smallfrown:

Amen to that! Twas' 5 in the morning and my friend had to drag me out of bed! Damn her! *shakes one rueful fist*

Anuan
2010-06-15, 06:53 PM
BEER!

The basics. Three types, Ale, Stout and Beer. They all taste terrible, nobody likes them but they're cheap and your sexuality is in question if you don't slug them down like your life depends upon it. I'm a Cider man myself, biggest tip for a night out. If you want to wake up in the morning. Eat, eat a lot. Drink beer. You'll be fine (at least at 6'4" if I eat I rarely get beyond tipsy).

The previous two are types of beer. You mean Lager, right?
Ale, Stout (a form of Ale), Lager and Bitter, another term for a Pale Ale. This should be the most basic categorisation you should allow.
Also, stop drinking low-quality beer. All this from a non-drinker.

Moonshadow
2010-06-16, 05:07 AM
For the love of god, don't go to Sydney, the place is a hell hole and a half to navigate :[ Come see me in Melbourne, I'm awesome. And I live near Healsville, so you can go to the Sanctuary~

Melbourne has lots of things to do, and it won't take you half the day to move from 1 block to another like it would in Sydney :smallbiggrin:

V'icternus
2010-06-16, 05:52 AM
I heartily suggest the Werribee Open Range Zoo in Melbourne.

And the theme parks in Queensland, but that might not be for everyone... :smalltongue:

I will, however, also say that you have to go to a Zoo while here. We have the most awesome animals around, and seeing them should be high on your list.

Rowsen
2010-06-16, 09:32 AM
We should have a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig Melbournite party. With cake or something.

Also Melbourne has a pretty neat aquarium with an underwater section. And there's Crown Casino, Rialto Tower and about 14 coffee shops on every block.

Yarram
2010-06-16, 10:23 AM
-Snippy snip-

But... I like beer... Beer tastes nice...

EDIT: Excepting VB or Tooeys.

Anuan
2010-06-16, 07:26 PM
Oh, sure, have a big Melbournite Playgrounder party after I leave :smalltongue: I'LL MAKE MY OWN DAMN CAKE :smallannoyed::smallfrown::smalltongue:

RipperOfShirts
2010-06-18, 09:38 PM
Melbourne has a dew things to visit. Most have been mentioned, and I'm going to add 3 things

1: MCG. especially if you like sports. Hell, just for the sheer size of the place. Pick an AFL game at random, and go watch. If only to experience tens of thousands of sports fans in one area. It in doubt, abuse umpires and explain to locals that you have no idea what the Hell is going on. You'll meet interesting people.
2: Eureka tower. Namely the skydeck. Again, if only for sheer size (and hanging out the side of a massive building)
3: national gallery. Awesome artwork, although It's a giant grey rectangle thing. Plus, Sundays there's a bunch of people who do twirling, poi, parkour and the like across the road in the park. And when the sun falls, they bring out the fire. A good show in a relaxed atmosphere.