PDA

View Full Version : spellbook pg count [3.5]

hangedman1984
2010-06-14, 01:29 PM
So I was thinking about the standard spellbook and realized that 100 pages isn't very big. When I picture wizards i generally envision a rather hefty tome, much more than only 100pgs (and assuming that page=1 side of a sheet, thats only 50 sheets). Pick up 50 sheets of paper and see how thick that is. Do you think it would make a significant difference if one were to houserule that a standard wizards spellbook normally contained significantly more than 100pgs. Say around 500pgs (250 sheets)?

bobspldbckwrds
2010-06-14, 01:32 PM
i have a house rule that it is 100 pages, or the size of the largest novel that you own, whichever is more. my players read a lot more now.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-06-14, 01:33 PM
It wouldn't change much, really. Just the number of books the players have.

In fact, if you're the type of DM that targets player books, it might be a nerf, because the spells will be less spread out, meaning getting rid of one book gets rid of way more spells.

Kobold-Bard
So I was thinking about the standard spellbook and realized that 100 pages isn't very big. When I picture wizards i generally envision a rather hefty tome, much more than only 100pgs (and assuming that page=1 side of a sheet, thats only 50 sheets). Pick up 50 sheets of paper and see how thick that is. Do you think it would make a significant difference if one were to houserule that a standard wizards spellbook normally contained significantly more than 100pgs. Say around 500pgs (250 sheets)?

Blessed Book (in the SRD)?

Or do what I do and say they can buy more Spellbooks and have all the pages in one (even if they buy it later on; it's a book full of magic that rearranges the universe, I see no problem with it adding some extra pages). Does what you want and requires no effort whatsoever.

Foryn Gilnith
There are rules for price-per-100-pages in Complete Arcane, which could be extrapolated to make larger spellbooks. A 500-page parchment leather-bound spellbook would cost 55 gp; 500 pages of vellum bound in dragonhide would cost 450 gp.

2xMachina
2010-06-14, 01:34 PM
Novel?

Not A4, but 400 are usual... (There are no A4 novel books that I have).

Of fourse, if you include reference books, I can show you 1k+ pages. And it isn't that thick (I lug 1 around to school each day)

2010-06-14, 02:55 PM
i have a house rule that it is 100 pages, or the size of the largest novel that you own, whichever is more. my players read a lot more now.

Neat, 936 pages. Thank you George R. R. Martin.

Also, I prefer Boccob's Blessed Book or Eberron's spellshards. Much better for managing a sizable spell selection. Play a Warforged wizard and install your spellshards inside your own body. How's that for a paranoia combo?

Ravens_cry
2010-06-14, 03:16 PM
Lord of the Rings. Single book edition
Now THAT's a Tome of Battle.:smalltongue:

Hague
2010-06-14, 05:32 PM
Well, you could always dip one level into Geometer...

Keep in mind we're talking about parchment here, so the pages are a little thicker than paper.

sdream
2010-06-14, 06:12 PM
Well, you could always dip one level into Geometer...

Keep in mind we're talking about parchment here, so the pages are a little thicker than paper.

This - a lot thicker actually - it's thin leather.

Remember - your goal for a spellbook is toughness, so it doesn't tear scorch or dissolve accidentally in the rigors of adventuring.

Curmudgeon
2010-06-14, 06:29 PM
This - a lot thicker actually - it's thin leather.
Typical parchment is about ¼-½ mm thick, which would make your 50 sheet spellbook 1.25 - 2.5 cm before the covers are added. Untanned leather is not waterproof (or else it wouldn't absorb ink), and both swells when wet and tears easily. The thinner material is much less durable, so I would expect spellbooks to use about ½ mm thickness parchment.

Hague
2010-06-14, 06:38 PM
No one even took a swing at the Geometer thing? Man...

omglolnub
2010-06-14, 06:41 PM
Hm, the largest novel you own idea is interesting, but I have a feeling that my party wizard would then find a way to combine all 12(13?) of the Jordan novels into one huge book (he's resourceful like that).

SaintRidley
2010-06-14, 06:44 PM

The Riverside Chaucer, 3rd ed. - 1327 pages. I'm equipped to be an awesome wizard.

Geometer is one of my favourite wizard PrCs for its spellbook feature.

KillianHawkeye
2010-06-14, 06:52 PM
Geometer is one of my favourite wizard PrCs for its spellbook feature.

The best part is how difficult it makes it for non-Geometers to understand your spellbook. It's funny to imagine a confused wizard looking at your crazy diagram book and scratching his head.

Flickerdart
2010-06-14, 06:54 PM
I have the complete Sherlock Holmes somewhere around here, which clocks in at a cool 1132 pages. Two or three of such spellbooks should do it for me. :smalltongue:
I assume that a lot of the thickness of a spellbook is from the binding - some sort of metal with locks and such (wouldn't want just anyone getting it open). Spellbooks aren't available in paperback*, though a three ring binder spellbook would be funny.

*Introducing, the Magecraft for Dummiestm series! Obtain your own exact copies of spellbooks used by such famous wizards as Mordenkainentm or Bigbytm, economically bound for the thrifty reader! Complete and unabridged!**

**Magecraft for Dummiestm brand spellbooks are both incomplete and abridged.

Doppelganger
2010-06-14, 06:57 PM
Just buy a Blessed Book. It's about as long as the Lord of the Rings, and you don't have to pay for the inscription costs, so it willl eventualy pay for itself. (and I hate paying to write down spells, to the point that when I DM copying spells in bulk is a common reward) And maybe all of the tomes are actualy little skimpy notebooks, with illusions on them to make them look big and impresive.

Kobold-Bard
2010-06-14, 07:05 PM
Just buy a Blessed Book. It's about as long as the Lord of the Rings, and you don't have to pay for the inscription costs, so it willl eventualy pay for itself. (and I hate paying to write down spells, to the point that when I DM copying spells in bulk is a common reward) And maybe all of the tomes are actualy little skimpy notebooks, with illusions on them to make them look big and impresive.

Remember you still have to pay for the source to copy from; be it scrolls, paying other wizards for the privilege etc.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-06-14, 07:09 PM
though a three ring binder spellbook would be funny.

Hey nerd, say goodbye to your nerdy little binder! *Lights it on fire*
Nooo! My spells are in there!

Optimystik
2010-06-14, 07:33 PM
Hey nerd, say goodbye to your nerdy little binder! *Lights it on fire*
Nooo! My spells are in there!

Messing with nerds strikes me as a dangerous practice in a world where they can transform themselves into tentacled horrors. :smalltongue:

Oh, and throw my vote behind Geometer, I love that class.