PDA

View Full Version : Avatar (the airbending sort)

Rowan Intheback
2010-06-14, 02:07 PM
My friends and I want to do an Avatar game. Of course there is no official system so I'm looking for suggestions of systems we could modify and use. I'm hoping that some of you have tried to play in the Avatar universe before and have some advice.

I think we are looking for a little more structure than Feng Shui and less than 3.5. I have been toying with the idea of Shadowrun.

Draz74
2010-06-14, 02:08 PM
My friends and I want to do an Avatar game. Of course there is no official system so I'm looking for suggestions of systems we could modify and use. I'm hoping that some of you have tried to play in the Avatar universe before and have some advice.

I think we are looking for a little more structure than Feng Shui and less than 3.5. I have been toying with the idea of Shadowrun.

There was a GIANT project on the Homebrew boards to make an Avatar d20 game a couple years ago. I never played it, but I heard it turned out pretty well. I think all the stuff they came up with is now on a wiki somewhere.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-14, 02:11 PM

There is a d20 avatar project, -I think it is hosted on this forums, but I also think they have their own SRD, will try to find a Link

Here is the link (http://sites.google.com/site/avatard20/)

Bigbrother87
2010-06-14, 02:11 PM
Avatar d20 (http://sites.google.com/site/avatard20/) website

Avatar d20 Main Hub (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67493) on these forums.

Natael
2010-06-14, 02:23 PM
Risus could work out rather well for this:

http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/risus.htm

The Rose Dragon
2010-06-14, 02:27 PM
I think the problem is finding something with less structure than 3.5 but more structure than Feng Shui. There are a lot of games outside that range that could fit the bill, but very few inside that range.

Try True20 or Mutants & Masterminds.

Kobold-Bard
2010-06-14, 02:30 PM
I second (third?) Avatar-d20, it works pretty well, though it requires your DM to be ok with you making up new bending combinations.

kamikasei
2010-06-14, 02:34 PM
You could go with building martial artists with (Element) Control and a bunch of powers alternated off it using Mutants & Masterminds.

Rowan Intheback
2010-06-14, 02:39 PM
This was a big help thanks everyone!

TheCountAlucard
2010-06-14, 03:41 PM
Is it too late to recommend Exalted 2e? Terrestrials in particular would be very fitting.

AstralFire
2010-06-14, 04:07 PM
There was a GIANT project on the Homebrew boards to make an Avatar d20 game a couple years ago. I never played it, but I heard it turned out pretty well. I think all the stuff they came up with is now on a wiki somewhere.

You heard wrong.

The GitP community project Avatar d20 has its merits, but for the most part, it is not a system I would recommend to anyone. It is imbalanced, fairly boring in play, and has a number of issues modeling things on the show. It's a problem that arises from people slapping together a lot of variant rules without doing significant playtesting or even math. There were a number of sloppy issues in it; I believe optimized Firebenders being the lowest damage/optimized Airbenders being the best finally got fixed in the thread, but last I knew, those changes never made it to the site. Even if they had made it to the site, options are very low.

There was a spinoff of that for D&D 3.5 that has its own merits, but - despite it being something I worked on heavily, I would also not recommend it to anyone. It is considerably more balanced and more effective at modeling, but it is extremely slow in play. I can link the PDF once I get home - have to reupload it. It's also meant for implementing Benders in a standard D&D 3.5 game rather than for emulating the entire Avatar world, though it converts to E6 & G8 as well as anything else does.

There was a Star Wars Saga adaptation of Avatar (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119433) that I was working on later that I would be able to somewhat recommend, but it definitely is unfinished.

Frankly, I think Mutants and Masterminds is your best option.

BobVosh
2010-06-14, 04:10 PM
Is it too late to recommend Exalted 2e? Terrestrials in particular would be very fitting.

This was what I was going to suggest. The powers aren't quite the same as in the Avatar setting, but it is already split into the castes that you need, has a ton of martial arts that use the elements, and WW is a pretty simple system to grasp that can handle a decent amount of stuff.

Tavar
2010-06-14, 04:11 PM

As much as I like Exalted, it really, really wouldn't. Yeah, you have some elemental focus with the terrestrials, but from what I've seen you wouldn't be able to do a lot of stuff benders can do, and would be able to do stuff that they couldn't. Plus, exalts are orders of magnitude tougher than normal people, and benders aren't.

Peronsally, I'd suggest Hero, M&M, or some other point based system. In fact, I seem to remember someone in real life who ran an Avatar game in Hero.