PDA

View Full Version : Because every country is best at something

pendell
2010-06-14, 02:09 PM
As linked here (http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/because-every-country-is-the-best-at-something/)

:smallbiggrin:

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Quincunx
2010-06-14, 02:12 PM
. . .HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAno. :smallfurious:

[EDIT: Just moving from second-world to first-world status is not enough to secure "most improved quality of life", let alone "best".]

Temotei
2010-06-14, 02:14 PM
I like "women."

I thought Denmark was the happiest nation in the world, though.

pendell
2010-06-14, 02:16 PM
How do you measure 'most happy' anyway? Least suicides?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Worira
2010-06-14, 02:17 PM
. . .HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAno. :smallfurious:

[EDIT: Just moving from second-world to first-world status is not enough to secure "most improved quality of life", let alone "best".]

Wait, are you saying that Ireland is an ex-Soviet nation?

Moff Chumley
2010-06-14, 02:20 PM
Second world has several definitions. In this case, it refers to a nation that isn't, to put it simply, a total crapsack, but isn't a completely modern country.

Flickerdart
2010-06-14, 02:21 PM
Why is Libya the best at tanks? How is Armenia the best at pirated software?

Also, Brazil not being the best at Brazil Nuts amuses me.

Worira
2010-06-14, 02:30 PM
Second world has several definitions. In this case, it refers to a nation that isn't, to put it simply, a total crapsack, but isn't a completely modern country.

It doesn't, actually. It refers exclusively to states aligned with the Soviet Union.

Moff Chumley
2010-06-14, 02:32 PM
We're running into the problem of "what it technically means" and "what people think it means, and therefore, what it actually means". If it makes you feel any better, yah, you're right. However, in terms of actually having a conversation, not so much.

Worira
2010-06-14, 02:36 PM
Except that's not the case. Yes, Third World, and to a lesser extent First World, can be used in that sense, despite being technically incorrect. Second World? Not so much.

Phaedra
2010-06-14, 02:38 PM
As linked here (http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/because-every-country-is-the-best-at-something/)

Respectfully,

Brian P.

I'm guessing "best" in this case simply means "most", since, while we have an awful lot of cameras in the UK, they don't really do anything. (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/cctv-in-the-spotlight-one-crime-solved-for-every-1000-cameras-1776774.html)

T-O-E
2010-06-14, 02:45 PM
I'm guessing "best" in this case simply means "most", since, while we have an awful lot of cameras in the UK, they don't really do anything. (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/cctv-in-the-spotlight-one-crime-solved-for-every-1000-cameras-1776774.html)

That's what they want you to think.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2010-06-14, 02:58 PM
I demand a recount! Or at least an extended list! The U.S> may have the most serial killers, but we also pack on extra weight like nobody's business. I mean, we have this stuff (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnjj3oYgp0Y)! (Bless the child for his natural senses telling him to ask for the banana, at least!) So - DANGIT! - where's our rightful claim to obesity! :smalltongue:

pendell
2010-06-14, 03:11 PM
Yes. I wouldn't take this too seriously. It lists the Democratic Republic of the Congo as #1 in renewable resources while Australia is #1 in Car thefts. Anyone who leaves Australia to go to the Congo on the basis of that recommendation will get exactly what (s)he deserves.

For that matter, I'm surprised Iceland is #1 in female graduates. Wouldn't that be China, if we're counting quantity?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Dr. Bath
2010-06-14, 03:15 PM
Wouldn't an awful lot of things be China then?

Worira
2010-06-14, 03:16 PM
I imagine it's per capita. Except when it isn't.

paddyfool
2010-06-14, 04:32 PM
Like it.

And btw, the real "winner" on obesity is Nauru (80% of the adult population). The USA comes in 9th worldwide, with 32%.

Don Julio Anejo
2010-06-14, 05:15 PM
A few cool things I've noticed:

- Columbia is the best at cocaine
- The best country at Brazil nuts is, ironically, Bolivia
- Japan is best at robots... Well, that is to be expected. After all, their entire self-defence force is made up of 9 meter tall transforming humanoid robots that fight with beam swords.
- The best country at cannabis is apparently neither one of Netherlands, Canada or California. What is the best country then? Islamic Morocco.
- Netherlands is also no the best country in the world at "working women." Mozambique is. Plan accordingly if that's your thing :wink:
- Netherlands is, however, the best country in the world for ecstasy. That is to be expected - it's the only way to make yourself enjoy trance :smallamused:

Moff Chumley
2010-06-14, 05:29 PM
If by "trance" you mean Eurotrance or Epic Trance, I agree.

Lady Tialait
2010-06-14, 05:37 PM
Best as Serial Killers? :smallconfused:

:smalleek:

J.Gellert
2010-06-14, 05:52 PM
Hellas is best at being best at nothing, it seems :smalltongue:

Thanatos 51-50
2010-06-14, 06:25 PM
Part of me wants to laugh at North Korea being "best" and "Soldiers".

But I'd need to research, first.

Felyndiira
2010-06-14, 06:39 PM
China: pigs

That's a surprising amount of research (although some of the answers are questionable, like Qatar).

paddyfool
2010-06-14, 06:39 PM
Best seems to mostly mean "most per capita" on this map.

Incidentally, Morocco supplies much of the wacky backy smoked across Europe. They also make pretty good wine, too, although they mostly don't drink it.

EDIT: Qatar is about the gender ratio. Lots of male migrant workers there.

Serpentine
2010-06-14, 11:12 PM
I demand a recount! Or at least an extended list! The U.S> may have the most serial killers, but we also pack on extra weight like nobody's business. I mean, we have this stuff (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnjj3oYgp0Y)! (Bless the child for his natural senses telling him to ask for the banana, at least!) So - DANGIT! - where's our rightful claim to obesity! :smalltongue:I believe Australia has overtaken you in that regard. Take that! :smallbiggrin:

Haruki-kun
2010-06-14, 11:43 PM
Awesome. We have the most televisions. :smallbiggrin:

And they're all on South Africa now. :smalltongue:

Eldariel
2010-06-14, 11:51 PM
I thought Finland drank the most coffee by quite a fair bit :smallconfused: Ze Norwegians hath overtaken us! Well, we at least still have the most saunas and private firearms/capita in the world too. And female doctors, apparently. I'm also a bit surprised Estonia somehow has us beat on Adult Literacy given it's been reported as 100% here since the 50s or something.

Anyways, yay for the world and every country being the best at something!

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-06-14, 11:57 PM
I believe Australia has overtaken you in that regard. Take that! :smallbiggrin:
Australia car thefts and American serial killers... well, whadya expect of two nations used as penal colonies? :smalltongue:

Innis Cabal
2010-06-15, 12:46 AM
A few cool things I've noticed:

- Columbia is the best at cocaine
- The best country at Brazil nuts is, ironically, Bolivia
- Japan is best at robots... Well, that is to be expected. After all, their entire self-defence force is made up of 9 meter tall transforming humanoid robots that fight with beam swords.
- The best country at cannabis is apparently neither one of Netherlands, Canada or California. What is the best country then? Islamic Morocco.
- Netherlands is also no the best country in the world at "working women." Mozambique is. Plan accordingly if that's your thing :wink:
- Netherlands is, however, the best country in the world for ecstasy. That is to be expected - it's the only way to make yourself enjoy trance :smallamused:

Califonia isn't a country.

And the U.S isn't the most over weight nation, that is another misconception. We're one of, but we're not number one.

Delusion
2010-06-15, 04:31 AM
I thought Finland drank the most coffee by quite a fair bit :smallconfused: Ze Norwegians hath overtaken us! Well, we at least still have the most saunas and private firearms/capita in the world too. And female doctors, apparently. I'm also a bit surprised Estonia somehow has us beat on Adult Literacy given it's been reported as 100% here since the 50s or something.

Anyways, yay for the world and every country being the best at something!

I am pretty sure we are behind USA in private firearms/capita.

Quincunx
2010-06-15, 04:52 AM
Nope. Gun ownership per capita and/or ratio of the population as a whole are where the U.S.A. lags behind countries with a universal draft and disposable income. There's swaths of the population of North America who have never touched a gun and never desire to do so.

Australia car thefts and American serial killers... well, whadya expect of two nations used as penal colonies? :smalltongue:

Sir, you wound me. . .because I can't deny it. :smallcool:

Ranna
2010-06-15, 06:03 AM
Isn't Switzerland dead high on the gun/capita.

And you know my first response to this thread was...

Because every country is best at something - "Not the UK though" was my first response.. ahhh patriotism!

Eldan
2010-06-15, 06:06 AM
Not anymore. Could be we were once. But the military has lost a lot of prestige, and a lot of young people are doing almost anything to not have to go (psychiatric evaluation, failing the sports exam, unarmed service etc.). And since our gun laws are actually pretty strict, it means that gun numbers are going down.

Just facts, no political discussion on that, please.

Thanatos 51-50
2010-06-15, 06:20 AM
Y'know, this gun discussion is rather strange, because I've been musing about finding a shooting range and getting some pistol practice in.

Maybe I should ask the dude at the gun store where the nearest decent public range is.

faerwain
2010-06-15, 06:31 AM
...Autsch.

I know I should be happy for being No. 1 in something modern and useful like having most solarpanels...
..but how the hell did we miss the leading spot in beer drinkers?!?!

Go and stand in the corner, Germany. I am very disappointed in you.

ForzaFiori
2010-06-15, 07:14 AM
Venezuela, apparently, is number one in being over looked by maps like this.

Winthur
2010-06-15, 07:34 AM
They forgot Poland. :smallannoyed:

pendell
2010-06-15, 08:01 AM
Y'know, this gun discussion is rather strange, because I've been musing about finding a shooting range and getting some pistol practice in.

Maybe I should ask the dude at the gun store where the nearest decent public range is.

If you check online, you will probably discover that there are a fair number of firing ranges which possess gun stores and training onsite. That's the best deal, I think. With luck, they may even let you try a few shots on the range to evaluate a weapon before you buy it.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Eldariel
2010-06-15, 09:34 AM
I am pretty sure we are behind USA in private firearms/capita.

May be. Haven't seen statistics, that was merely something I heard.

EDIT: I found this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_gun_ownership). Apparently we aren't even #2 O.o Wikipedia does claim we lead coffee (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_coffee_consumption_per_capita ) by quite a bit though.

Moff Chumley
2010-06-15, 12:13 PM
I believe Sweden also leads in writing American pop songs...

Ravens_cry
2010-06-15, 02:52 PM
Yea! We lead in fruit juice consumption!
I am so. . .damn, proud I think I'll cry.:smallamused:

Teddy
2010-06-15, 03:40 PM
We're the best at... nuclear reactors? Is that per capita? Aren't our finnish neighbours better than us at that?

Or is it the level of technology or safety? How do you measure that?

Eldariel
2010-06-15, 03:50 PM
We're the best at... nuclear reactors? Is that per capita? Aren't our finnish neighbours better than us at that?

Or is it the level of technology or safety? How do you measure that?

You have more. Per capita and otherwise. We've only got 5. You've got 10. Though we are designing 2 more hence all the ruckus. But we'd still be behind you. Or to be more precise, we have 4 active and one scheduled to go active in 2012.

Miklus
2010-06-15, 04:02 PM
...Mink Pelts...? That sucks!

And yes, we are the happiest people on earth. We dance around and sing "happy happy joy joy" all day. We are also pretty sarcastic.

EDIT: Latvia just got...women???

Teddy
2010-06-15, 04:08 PM
You have more. Per capita and otherwise. We've only got 5. You've got 10. Though we are designing 2 more hence all the ruckus. But we'd still be behind you. Or to be more precise, we have 4 active and one scheduled to go active in 2012.

Huh, well, I guess it's true then. Hmm, I thought you had more reactors than that, but it's probably all the ruckus about the 2 more that caused that. Funny though, since we haven't built any new one in a lot of years, and we've shut down two for good.

Eldan
2010-06-15, 04:20 PM
Latvia has women per capita as well, I'd guess. There's some countries around with pretty uneven rates.

I think we were also number 2 in amount of pasta eaten per person, right behind Italy.

tribble
2010-06-15, 04:27 PM
They forgot Poland. :smallannoyed:

Ex-president bush sees what you did there.http://www.thebushhouse.com/images/happy%20bush.bmp

on the original subject, I'm going to guess this site is run by a troll with some kind of bone to pick.

T-O-E
2010-06-15, 04:35 PM
on the original subject, I'm going to guess this site is run by a troll with some kind of bone to pick.

Or it's a joke site made for fun.

chiasaur11
2010-06-15, 04:41 PM
Grenyarnia is not listed as "The Best Country".

This list is invalid.

pendell
2010-06-15, 04:52 PM
Or it's a joke site made for fun.

Yes. Yes it is. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTwnwbG9YLE)

Okay, maybe the original author didn't mean it as a joke. Don't know. Don't especially care. *I* think it's funny! If it wasn't a gag site before, it is now. What better to screw up an axe-grinding troll than laugh at him?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Arakune
2010-06-15, 07:20 PM
"Bolívia"... hehe

Zalgo
2010-06-16, 01:38 AM
So Portugal produces the best cork...
Nice...

lol

Yarram
2010-06-16, 10:30 AM
I'm surprised that NZ wasn't sheep... But I guess it's realistic that they wouldn't have the most. Just the... Prettiest?

Coplantor
2010-06-16, 10:42 AM
Kids science? Wut?

Cicciograna
2010-06-16, 10:52 AM
I can consider myself lucky as the author spared my country and gave us the title for the nation with the most caesarean sections.

Rutskarn
2010-06-16, 01:01 PM
Car thefts are big in Australia, eh? You trying to tell me that Mad Max was a docudrama?

Hehe. Actually, that's kind of a funny image. Especially if you imagine it like one of those Lifetime "inspired by a true story" dealies. It'd be about his wife, except instead of being a kind and loving husband Max would be an abusive womanizer, and instead of getting killed when she was run over by bikers she'd just wake up after a coma and find her child dead and Max hooked up with some stripper or something. Then she'd kill Max with a tire iron, turn herself in, and the police would let her off with a reassuring pat on the shoulders and a warm wink.

They'd be kind of screwed as to sequels, though. On the one hand, no Road Warrior. On the other hand, no Thunderdome. Pretty much the eternal question, there.

2xMachina
2010-06-16, 01:19 PM
Haha, under Condoms, Rubber Gloves.

The Glyphstone
2010-06-16, 01:32 PM
So, Libya is the best at Tanks, unless they're T-80 tanks, in which case Romania wins?

RndmNumGen
2010-06-16, 02:40 PM
Interesting that Bolivia produces more Brazil nuts than Brazil.

Elan'sBF
2011-07-25, 02:57 PM
Hi Im new to the Forum... Go Elan!

Maxios
2011-07-25, 03:05 PM
Please do not resurrect fallen threads. Also, there's an official thread for new members. Welcome to the forums :smallsmile: