PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Knight - 4e Paragon Path [PEACH]

RndmNumGen
2010-06-14, 02:40 PM
Dragon Knight
Paragon Path
Prerequisite: Worship of Io, Bahamut, Tiamat or other Dragon God.

Dragon Knights are an order of knights that have sworn an oath to an elder dragon to serve their cause, uphold their ideals and fight their enemies. This is not an oath of subservience, but rather a promise to mirror the dragon's own behavior. By mimicing the dragon in such a way, they gain special abilities affiliated with that type of dragon.

Draconic Affinity (11th Level): The Dragon Knight selects a type of dragon; they must have the same alignment as that dragon. They then gain resistance to the element of that dragon and deal an additional 1d6 damage whenever they deal damage of that element.

Enduring Oath (11th Level): The dragon knight may spend an Action Point to regain an encounter power they have already used instead of taking an extra action.

Dragonscale Aegis(16th Level): The Dragon Knight gains +1 to all defenses (AC, Fortitude, Reflex and Will) and Immunity to the element of their dragon idol.

Draconic Attunement (20th Level): The Dragon Knight does an extra 1d6 damage from Draconic Affinity when using a corresponding element(for an extra 2d6 damage total), and gains all abilities that a wyrmling of their chosen dragon type have(i.e. Speak with Animals for a Brass dragon, or Water Breathing for a Black Dragon)

Dragon Lance – Dragon Knight Attack 11
At-Will * Acid, Cold, Fire, Lightning or Poison
Standard Action Ranged 20
Attack: Strength +2 vs. Reflex
The Dragon Knight creates a bolt of elemental energy, which he throws at his target like a javelin.
Hit: 1d6 + Strength modifier elemental damage.
Special: This power counts as a ranged basic attack. When a power allows you to make a ranged basic attack, you can use this power instead.

Aura of Loyalty/Parity/Treachery – Dragon Knight Utility 12
Encounter * Arcane or Divine
Minor Action Burst 5
The Dragon Knight emanates an aura that exemplifies the power of his oath. This aura lasts for as many turns as their highest ability modifier.

For Good players, the Aura of Loyalty inspires confidence in one's companions, and gives all allies in the area a +5 bonus to all defenses.

For Neutral players, the Aura of Parity balances the battlefield and prevents all creatures within the aura from attacking unless they pass a DC 30 Will check. Creatures outside the aura trying to attack a creature inside the aura must pass the check as well. Non-damaging actions are uninhibited.

For Evil players, the Aura of Treachery makes enemy creatures in the aura suspicious of each other, and they must pass a DC 30 Will check or suffer -5 to all defenses. If they fail by 15 or greater, they feel betrayed by their allies and treat everyone in their vicinity as hostile. Does not effect creatures without a mind.

Dragon's Wrath – Dragon Knight Attack 20
Daily * Martial
Standard Action
Attack: Strength or Dexterity v.s. AC
Embodying the ferocity, agility and adaptability of dragonkind, the Dragon Knight makes two attacks for [W] + Strength or Dexterity modifier damage. If both attacks are on the same target, he gains a +4 attack bonus on both attacks. If they are on different targets, he takes a -2 damage penalty on each attack. In addition, after the attack the Dragon Knight may use a minor action as an additional standard action, or gain an additional minor action. He may not both gain a minor action and use that minor action as a standard action.

-----

Just starting to get into D&D, so this may be horribly underpowered or overpowered, or just plain weird. I don't understand a lot of the mechanics yet. I was just trying to build this Path for my Dragonborn Cleric in one of my games.

Excession
2010-06-14, 05:31 PM
Draconic Affinity (11th Level): The Dragon Knight selects a type of dragon; they must have the same alignment as that dragon. They then gain resistance to the element of that dragon and deal an additional 1d6 damage whenever they deal damage of that element.

Drop the alignment restriction, it makes very little sense in 4e. If nothing else, even gold dragons are listed as "Unaligned" now, there aren't any good dragons.

The amount of resistance is missing, 5 + half level would be consistent.

Does your additional 1d6 also apply to non-rolled damage? That could have strange effects if it turns an auto-damage or aura into a damage roll. Maybe make it an extra 1d6 to damage rolls for damage of that type.

Enduring Oath (11th Level): The dragon knight may spend an Action Point to regain an encounter power they have already used instead of taking an extra action.

Feels underpowered. I suspect that in most cases you'll be better of spending the action point to get another attack.

Dragonscale Aegis(16th Level): The Dragon Knight gains +1 to all defenses (AC, Fortitude, Reflex and Will) and Immunity to the element of their dragon idol.

The immunity is overpowered. Even ancient dragons don't get full immunity to their element.

Draconic Attunement (20th Level): The Dragon Knight does an extra 1d6 damage from Draconic Affinity when using a corresponding element(for an extra 2d6 damage total), and gains all abilities that a wyrmling of their chosen dragon type have(i.e. Speak with Animals for a Brass dragon, or Water Breathing for a Black Dragon)

This doesn't make sense for 4e dragons. Brass dragons don't actually have Speak with Animals for example.

Dragon Lance – Dragon Knight Attack 11
At-Will * Acid, Cold, Fire, Lightning or Poison
Standard Action Ranged 20
Attack: Strength +2 vs. Reflex
The Dragon Knight creates a bolt of elemental energy, which he throws at his target like a javelin.
Hit: 1d6 + Strength modifier elemental damage.
Special: This power counts as a ranged basic attack. When a power allows you to make a ranged basic attack, you can use this power instead.

This is the only part of the PP that depends on Str. If you let the player choose the the stat it would be useful to a much larger range of PCs. The attack bonus should scale with level. Look at the way similar powers (e.g. the dragonborn breath weapon) are written and copy that. Can the player choose the element each time they use this power, or is it chosen once when you get it?

Aura of Loyalty/Parity/Treachery – Dragon Knight Utility 12
Encounter * Arcane or Divine
Minor Action Burst 5
The Dragon Knight emanates an aura that exemplifies the power of his oath. This aura lasts for as many turns as their highest ability modifier.<snip>

Horribly overpowered, overly complex, and doesn't fit in 4e mechanics.

Dragon's Wrath – Dragon Knight Attack 20
Daily * Martial
Standard Action
Attack: Strength or Dexterity v.s. AC
Embodying the ferocity, agility and adaptability of dragonkind, the Dragon Knight makes two attacks for [W] + Strength or Dexterity modifier damage. If both attacks are on the same target, he gains a +4 attack bonus on both attacks. If they are on different targets, he takes a -2 damage penalty on each attack. In addition, after the attack the Dragon Knight may use a minor action as an additional standard action, or gain an additional minor action. He may not both gain a minor action and use that minor action as a standard action.

Overly complex. No other comment because that would require understanding what you're trying to do with this power.

Sorry to be critical, but I feel that this needs a lot of work.

RndmNumGen
2010-06-14, 06:16 PM
Yeah, I expected it would. Thanks for the advice, I'll try to revise it some and repost it later.

Deathdarken
2010-06-16, 12:10 AM
seems cool why not post in my 4.0 homebrew thread for all of us 4,0ers to get together and criticize each other

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155748

there you go