PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Challenges of the Week! (3.5 assumed, but others welcomed)

TheLonelyScribe
2010-06-14, 03:21 PM
Just thought that anyone who got bored might like a thread that posted random ideas for PrCs and spells every so often. These are made by generators found here: HERE (http://chaoticshiny.com/index.php) and there: THERE (http://seventhsanctum.com/about.php). If anyone finds generators that would work for feats or other things appropriate to the thread please post a link to them so I can include extra challenges.

The idea is to make something based on the names provided, but you don't have to actually call the thing you make whatever comes up with the generator.

This week's prestige class (or class variant, feat, etc.) challenges:
Dark Doctor
Neuroscout
Hyperwizard

Bonus challenge for crazy curious highlighting people: Tiger Glyph Artificer

This week's spell (or invocations, infusions, etc.) challenges:
Sylvan Sludge
Deadly Exorcism
Jagged Doors

Let the brewing commence!

Volthawk
2010-06-14, 03:49 PM
Heh, I love playing around with that class generator. I was thinking of making some from the names anyway (got things like Dragon Artificer, which makes me think 'badass'.)

TheLonelyScribe
2010-06-17, 12:34 PM
Is nooo-one interested in this? Come on, this is your chance to make a Sorcery Balloonist for god's sakes!

Volthawk
2010-06-17, 12:35 PM
Is nooo-one interested in this? Come on, this is your chance to make a Sorcery Balloonist for god's sakes!

I'm still interested, but can't really devote a lot of time to it right now. I've got an exam tomorrow.

Temotei
2010-06-17, 02:19 PM
I might make an arch exorcist. :smallcool:

Volthawk
2010-06-17, 03:23 PM
OK, Lightning Scout, go!

LIGHTNING SCOUT

Lightning is a powerful force. Some creatures are born with some inherent electrical power. Some realise their power by becoming Elemental Savants or the like. Some embody the speed and lethality of the lightning inside them by becoming Lightning Scouts.

BECOMING A LIGHTNING SCOUT
All Lightning Scouts have at least a few levels in Scout to give the required Skirmish ability, although some do multiclass to other similar classes, such as Rogue or Ninja.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS

Special: Skirmish +1d6/+1 AC, Uncanny Dodge and Evasion class features

Class Skills
The Lightning Scout's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Rope (Dex)
Skills Points at Each Level: 6 + int

Hit Dice: d8

THE LIGHTNING SCOUT
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Speed Increase

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+0|Lightning Speed, Swift Sneaking, Skirmish|+10ft

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+0|Lightning Agility|+20ft

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+1|Lightning Weaponry|+30ft

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+1|Lightning Skirmish|+40ft

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+1|Lightning Jump|+50ft
[/table]

Weapon Proficiencies: A Lightning Scout gains no proficiencies.

Skirmish: Lightning Scout levels stack with Scout levels for determining the damage/AC boost gained from Skirmish

Lightning Speed: The Lightning Scout has an extraordinary speed, granted by the power running through him. At 1st level, the Lightning Scout gains a 10ft insight bonus to speed. This increases by 10ft each Lightning Scout level.

Swift Sneaking: The penalty to Hide and Move Silently checks for moving are reduced by an amount equal to your Lightning Scout level.

Lightning Agility: A Lightning Scout can use its Dexterity modifier instead of its Strength modifier for Climb, Jump and Swim checks. It also gains a dodge bonus to AC equal to it's Lightning Scout level.

Lightning Weaponry: The inherent energy of the Lightning Scout manifests in electricity that arcs around his weaponry, natural or otherwise. All attacks made by the Lightning Scout now deal extra electricity damage equal to twice their HD.

Lightning Skirmish: When using Skirmish, a Lightning Scout can choose to change it into a Lightning Skirmish. Lightning Skirmishes deal an extra 1d6 in damage, and all damage dealt is electricity damage. They also gain an extra +1 AC, and all bonus AC is a dodge bonus.

Lightning Jump: 3 times per encounter, a Lightning Scout can move so quickly, they cannot be hit, or even noticed. This works like Dimension Door, but only works if the Lightning Scout has line of effect to the target area.

TheLonelyScribe
2010-06-17, 03:27 PM
9/10, if we're in to ratings. A cool and fairly balanced class, the only reason I didn't give you 10 is because it lacks some more immediately lightning-based abilities earlier on. However, it's great for a what was meant to be a little homebrew exercise, and don't feel any need to change it.

Who will do what next?

Temotei
2010-07-14, 01:15 AM
Seek Killer
Divination
Level: Brd 2, Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Area: Circle, centered on you, with a radius of 400 ft. + 40 ft./level
Duration: 1 min./level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

This spell functions like locate creature, except this spell locates a recent victim's killer.

You slowly turn and sense when you are facing in the direction of the killer to be located, provided it is within range. You also know in which direction the creature is moving, if any.

Running water blocks the spell. It cannot detect objects. It can be fooled by mislead, nondetection, and polymorph spells.

Material Component
A strand of hair, a piece of skin, or some blood from the victim of the killer.

Temotei
2010-07-14, 01:41 AM
Lantern Mark
Evocation [Light]
Level: Sor/Wiz 0
Components: V, S
Range: 0 ft.; see text
Effect: One mark
Duration: Instantaneous; see text

This spell allows you to create a mark upon a surface. A lantern mark becomes a holdable light source shedding light equal to that of a lantern, ready for use in the hands of any creature that triggers the effect. The light lasts for 10 min./level after being triggered.

Until it is triggered, the lantern mark is inactive (though visible at a distance of 60 feet). Covering or hiding the mark renders the lantern mark ineffective until removal of the cover.

As a default, a lantern mark is triggered whenever a creature does one or more of the following, as you select: looks at the mark; touches the mark; passes over the mark; or passes through a portal bearing the mark. Regardless of the trigger method or methods chosen, a creature more than 60 feet from a lantern mark can't trigger it (even if it meets one or more of the triggering conditions, such as looking at the mark). Once the spell is cast, a lantern mark’s triggering conditions cannot be changed.

You can also set special triggering limitations of your own. These can be as simple or elaborate as you desire. Special conditions for triggering a lantern mark can be based on a creature's name, identity, or alignment, but otherwise must be based on observable actions or qualities. Intangibles such as level, class, Hit Dice, and hit points don't qualify.

A lantern mark can be removed by a successful dispel magic targeted solely on the mark. An erase spell removes the lantern mark. Destruction of the surface where a lantern mark lies destroys the mark but also triggers it.

Lantern mark can be made permanent with a permanency spell. A permanent lantern mark that is disabled becomes inactive for 10 minutes, then can be triggered again as normal.

Peregrine
2010-07-14, 09:58 AM
Just thought that anyone who got bored might like a thread that posted random ideas for PrCs and spells every so often. These are made by generators found here: HERE (http://chaoticshiny.com/index.php) and there: THERE (http://seventhsanctum.com/about.php).

I can't turn down a random generator challenge. :smallbiggrin: (I'm involved in a story-writing one on another forum; work twelve separate Seventh Sanctum generator outputs into a cohesive whole.)

[hr]Heaven's Haunting
Illusion (Phantasm) [Good, Fear, Mind-affecting]
Level: Cleric 3, Pal 3
Components: V, S, DF
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: See text
Saving Throw: Will negates, then Will partial; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes

The subject of this spell is haunted by the wrongness of their actions and a feeling of condemnation by the celestial powers. The exact manifestation of the haunting varies from one subject to another; it might be the sounds of weeping, whispers of disappointment, or an imagined look of horror on the faces of passers-by.

The subject is shaken, taking a -2 penalty on attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks. Whenever attempting to actively perform an evil deed, the subject must immediately make a Will save or become frightened, attempting to flee the situation or individual that tempted it to do evil.

The duration of heaven's haunting depends on the alignment of the subject. If cast on a creature that is neither good nor evil, the spell lasts for one hour per caster level. Each hour, the subject makes a new saving throw to resist being shaken for the next hour. (A new saving throw is still required whenever attempting an evil deed.)

If cast on an evil creature, the spell instead lasts for one day per caster level, and the subject makes a new saving throw each day. If cast on a good creature, the spell ends immediately with no effect.

If the subject was ever of good alignment, they take a -4 penalty on all saving throws against this spell, and the durations are doubled. Any creature with the evil subtype gains a +10 bonus on all saving throws against this spell.

Heaven's haunting cannot be dispelled, but can be removed by remove curse or other effects that would end a bestow curse spell. If the subject's alignment moves one step towards good, the spell ends, even if the subject is now merely neutral.
[hr]

And now some feedback on the previous spells.

Seek Killer

Very nice. I'd suggest tightening up a few aspects of its working, though. How long can the "recent" victim have been dead? What defines the "killer"? The easiest answer is "the creature that brought them to -10hp, or if the victim bled to death, the one who last dealt lethal damage". But that fails to cover a whole raft of special cases: poison, traps, etc. etc. "DM says" is a convenient way out.

Lantern Mark

This leaves me with a lot of questions about how it actually works. You can have a mark that, when touched or looked at, immediately creates a lantern in the subject's hand? (Sounds like conjuration more than evocation.) If not for that mention of an actual lantern, I would have thought you were describing a spell that lights up when people "turn it on".

The duration says "see text", but the text doesn't specify any duration. It sounds like it might be "permanent until discharged", but then you say it can be made permanent by permanency.

Also, you talk about leaving the radius of the spell, by which I take it you mean going more than 60 ft. away? That's the only range ever mentioned. What happens when you do this? Does the lantern disappear and go back "into" the lantern mark?

If not (and maybe even if so), the permanent version is a great way to create infinite lanterns. Pull out one lantern (from each mark you possess!) every ten minutes for the rest of your life -- ka-ching!

FlyingWhale
2010-07-14, 10:39 AM
OK, I'll bite :) It took me a while to understand this at first, but here goes!

Sorcery Balloonist
Conjuration [Creation]

Level: Bard 3
Components: S, M
Range: One object touched; see text
Effect: One Balloon
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Special, see text.
Spell Resistance: Special, see text.

"A feather, a sprinkle of silver, a dash of garnet, and a pinch of sulfur. I have a feeling someday, people will be making these by the thousands."
-Dervin Malech Squigglebottom Buttonvest esq. Gnomish Inventor

This spell functions similarly to Imbue with Spell Ability, only imbuing single spells into balloons. The caster designates which spell, up to 2nd level, will be imbued to the balloon, uses any components necessary in casting, and casts the spell into the balloon. The spell need not have a target to be imbued, for instance a Flare spell can be placed inside the balloon just as easily as a Daze Monster spell. For the spell to be activated, the balloon must simply be popped, thus discharging the spell. Any spell imbued uses the caster's level for all effects, including DC and spell resistance, if any.

Material components: A small animal bladder, a feather, and a breath of air.

Hope that works for you... Think, a Flare spell here, Fear there, Ghost Sound, set up to small trip wires, needles just waiting to pop them... Besides, there are some people that just cannot resist the urge to pop a balloon...:smallamused:

Temotei
2010-07-15, 02:29 AM
Very nice. I'd suggest tightening up a few aspects of its working, though. How long can the "recent" victim have been dead? What defines the "killer"? The easiest answer is "the creature that brought them to -10hp, or if the victim bled to death, the one who last dealt lethal damage". But that fails to cover a whole raft of special cases: poison, traps, etc. etc. "DM says" is a convenient way out.

Good idea. I'll put in more information on what defines the killer and possibly a time limit on the dead's killer. How does a week sound? Otherwise, I'm just leaving the time limit "zero."

This leaves me with a lot of questions about how it actually works. You can have a mark that, when touched or looked at, immediately creates a lantern in the subject's hand? (Sounds like conjuration more than evocation.) If not for that mention of an actual lantern, I would have thought you were describing a spell that lights up when people "turn it on".

Actually, that would be interesting. I might make it a movable light activated by the mark, similar to a lantern mechanically, but cooler.

Anyway, then evocation fits better. As it is now, conjuration would fit better, I agree. I was originally going to put it as conjuration, but...sleep deprivation? :smalltongue:

The duration says "see text", but the text doesn't specify any duration. It sounds like it might be "permanent until discharged", but then you say it can be made permanent by permanency.

You're right. I copy-pasted that from the symbol of death spell.

Also, you talk about leaving the radius of the spell, by which I take it you mean going more than 60 ft. away? That's the only range ever mentioned. What happens when you do this? Does the lantern disappear and go back "into" the lantern mark?

That, I believe, is another copy-paste error.

If not (and maybe even if so), the permanent version is a great way to create infinite lanterns. Pull out one lantern (from each mark you possess!) every ten minutes for the rest of your life -- ka-ching!

Eh. Dancing lights seems more convenient for creating permanent lanterns. You get four for every permanency, after all, if I remember correctly.

I expected this for lantern mark. I'll clean it up, but expect a few holes to need patching up even after that.

Done cleaning up, so far. Point out anything I've missed.

TheLonelyScribe
2010-07-15, 10:35 AM
It's still alive!

Hah, I was originally thinking sorcery balloonist was going to be a PrC, and involve the kind of balloons you fly about in, but it works as a spell too, I suppose.

I'm in the process of generating the next set of challenges, so happy homebrewing to everybody!

Edit: New challenges now written in to the top post. Enjoy!

Temotei
2010-07-15, 12:59 PM
Astral Digger
Mystic Smith
Wrath Paladin

Call Dwarves
Spirit's Sanity
Circle of Silver

These are tough--mainly because a lot of the things we could do with them have already been done somewhere. I think the only one I have an idea for right now is circle of silver. I'll see what I can do.

Pechvarry
2010-07-15, 04:10 PM
Call Dwarves
lol

--

Ok, I saw Wrath Paladin and had to cook something up. Basically a specialized Divine Crusader.

Wrath Paladin

Prerequisites:
Alignment: Any non-neutral. Must match chosen Deity.
Base Attack Bonus: +7
Knowledge (Religion): 3 ranks
[b]Base Fortitude Save: +5

HD: d10
Skills: 2+int. Skill list as Divine Crusader (Concentration, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Knowledge [religion], Ride, and all 3 STR-based skills)

{table]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Class Features|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th|9th
1|0|2|0|0|Wrath Domain, Divine Wrath|0|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-
2|1|3|0|0|Primal Blessing|1|0|-|-|-|-|-|-|-
3|2|3|1|1|Boundless|2|1|0|-|-|-|-|-|-
4|3|4|1|1|Strength's Blessing|2|2|1|0||-|-|-|-
5|3|4|1|1||3|2|2|1|0|-|-|-|-
6|4|5|2|2|Indomitable Focus (Wis Damage/Drain)|3|3|2|2|1|0|-|-|-
7|5|5|2|2|Warblessing|3|3|3|2|2|1|0|-|-
8|6|6|2|2||3|3|3|3|2|2|1|0|-
9|6|6|3|3||3|3|3|3|3|2|2|1|0
10|7|7|3|3|Indomitable Focus (Mind-affecting)|3|3|3|3|3|3|2|2|1[/table]

Wrath Domain: At 1st level, The Wrath Paladin gains access to the Wrath Domain (Spell Compendium) and its domain power (sacrifice Wisdom to gain a bonus to Strength at a 2:1 rate for [Cleric level] rounds). See spellcasting below.

Spellcasting: A Wrath Paladin's spell list, predictably, consists only of the spells on the Wrath domain's list. Unlike normal domain casters, the Wrath Paladin is not limited to only one spell/day/level. When determining what level of spells he may cast and bonus spells/day, use the Wrath Paladin's Wisdom score before applying the penalties for using the domain ability. Spell DCs are based on current wisdom (though see Strength's Blessing). Thus, a Wrath Paladin with a Wisdom of 16 could cast up to 6th level spells, even if his Wisdom score is currently a 3. The spell DC, in this instance, would be 10+ spell level - 4, as it's still Wis-based.

Divine Wrath: When you choose to use the Wrath Domain ability, you may choose to use your effective Cleric level (your caster level in this class), or you may choose to use duration: encounter. If you use this second option, you may not voluntarily dismiss the effect. Finally, while in a Divine Wrath, you gain a bonus on all Concentration checks equal to your levels in this class.

Primal Blessing: If you possess a Rage or similar ability, you may cast spells from the Wrath domain while in a rage. This also applies to Rage acquired via the Rage spell (thus making yourself a viable target for such a spell) and Tenser's Transformation. You may make concentration checks to cast spells (though you may not Cast Defensively), but not other uses of the concentration skill. Other restrictions from a rage, such as activating Spell Trigger items or Combat Expertise, still apply.

Boundless: You may choose to use your Wrath Domain ability as many times as you wish. Every time you attempt to use the ability after the first, you are Fatigued for 5 minutes afterwards. You may only use a Divine Wrath once per encounter.

Strength's Blessing: While in a Divine Wrath, you may choose to use your Strength Modifier in place of your abysmal Wis modifier for the purpose of figuring spell DCs. Whenever you use this ability, the bonus to your strength score from Divine Wrath is lowered by 2 for the duration of this use -- your Wisdom penalty is not lessened. If you do not have 2 or more bonus points of STR from using Divine Wrath, you may not use this ability.

Indomitable Focus: Your blind rage is focused on one objective: the destruction of your opponent. At 6th level, you become immune to Wisdom Drain or Wisdom Damage while in a Divine Wrath. You are not immune to penalties to your Wisdom score, but they may not lower your Wisdom to 0, as usual for ability score penalties.
At 10th level, you become immune to mind controlling and mind-affecting effects, as through a magic circle spell, for as long as your Divine Wrath persists.

Warblessing: You may treat all spells from the Wrath Domain as swift actions, as though the Quicken Spell feat were applied but with no adjustment to the spell's level. You may also hold concentration on a Wrath domain spell as a Swift action and even cast other Wrath domain spells while maintaining concentration on another spell.

---

Could use a better capstone. Obviously, I saw "wrath", had recently seen the domain, and went crazy-go-nuts with it. I think I did a decent job of synergizing abilities whilst also creating tension in them. Choosing to lower your strength bonus in return for a very potent Song of Discord, for instance. Your high STR bonus is better the longer you get to keep it up, but Song of Discord is best used at the outset of an encounter as well. Tell me whatcha think, etc.

I also explicitly avoided Mettle, as while I negated some of the drawbacks of a floored Wisdom (he can't be insta-disabled via Wis damage, he's not totally open to mind control), I still want his low Will saves and low Wis scores to remain a weakness.

For reference, Wrath domain spells:
1st: Rhino's Rush
2nd: Bull's Strength
3rd: Rage
4th: Shout
5th: Righteous Might
6th: Song of Discord
7th: Tenser's Transformation
8th: Shout, Greater
9th: Storm of Vengeance

Peregrine
2010-07-15, 11:42 PM
This week's spell challenges:
Call Dwarves

Yoink!

(This may make a better 9th-level spell for the Dwarf domain (Spell Compendium) than elemental swarm.)

[hr]Honoured Ancestors
Conjuration (Calling) [Good, Law]
Level: Cleric 9
Components: V, S, F, DF
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Effect: Two or more dwarven ancestors, no two of which can be more than 30 ft. apart; see text
Duration: Instantaneous; see text

Mockingly described as "Call Dwarves" by at least one famous elven mage, this potent spell calls on the aid of the spirits of revered dwarven ancestors.

1d3+1 spirits answer the call, taking on the form of an ancestor spirit (see below). You may request one or more individual dwarves by name while casting the spell (though you might get a different creature anyway). No bargaining time is required (unlike planar ally spells); you must name the purpose for which you are calling on the ancestors as part of the casting of the spell.

Called ancestors will fight for you in one encounter, or perform a task taking up to 1 round per caster level. If asked to do a task for longer, to a maximum of 1 day per caster level, the task must clearly serve dwarven interests or the dwarven ethos. Regardless of the duration of the task, no dwarven ancestor will answer a call to service that violates their lawful good alignment or is harmful to the dwarven people (though they may, for instance, fight against rebellious dwarves who threaten a good dwarven city).

The dwarven ancestors may also be called to act as guardians for a sacred dwarven site. This location must be hallowed when the ancestors are summoned, and the caster must stand within the hallowed area. The guardians can move outside the hallowed area, but not beyond the range of honoured ancestors, as measured from the centre of the hallowed area.

Dwarven ancestors on guard duty generally require that their site remain actively tended. Unless the site is of special significance to the dwarven deity, they will return to their home plane after no more than one year of neglect.

The focus component for this spell—one or more stone statues of dwarves—is optional. If provided, then the summoned spirits will each immediately inhabit a statue, gaining the powers of an ancestor statue (also below). If there are more ancestor spirits than statues, the remainder will stay in ancestor spirit form, unless and until a statue becomes available, at which time they may use their possess statue ability (requiring 10 minutes).

Focus: One or more masterfully crafted stone statues, of Medium or Large size, each worth 6,000 gp (Medium) or 12,000 gp (Large).
[hr]
Ancestor Spirit

{table=head]|Ancestor Spirit|Ancestor Statue, Medium|Ancestor Statue, Large
Size/Type|Medium Outsider (Good, Extraplanar, Incorporeal, Lawful)|Medium Construct (Good, Lawful)|Large Construct (Good, Lawful)
Hit Dice|6d8+30 (57 hp)|10d10+20 (75 hp)|12d10+30 (96 hp)
Initiative|+4|+0|−1
Speed|Fly 40 ft. (8 squares) (perfect)|20 ft. (4 squares)|15 ft. (3 squares)
Armor Class|17 (+4 Dex, +3 deflection), touch 17, flat-footed 13|25 (+15 natural), touch 10, flat-footed 25|26 (−1 size, −1 Dex, +18 natural), touch 8, flat-footed 26
Base Attack/Grapple|+6/—|+7/+11|+9/+21
Attack|Axe of the ancestors +12 melee (1d10+1/×3) or incorporeal touch +10 melee (weigh the heart)|Dwarven waraxe +12 melee (1d10+6) or slam +11 melee (1d8+6)|Dwarven waraxe +17 melee (2d8+12) or slam +16 melee (2d6+12)
Full Attack|Axe +12/+7 melee (1d10+1/×3) and incorporeal touch +5 melee (weigh the heart)|Waraxe +12/+7 melee (1d10+6) and slam +6 melee (1d8+4)|Waraxe +17/+12 melee (2d8+12) and slam +11 melee (2d6+8)
Space/Reach|5 ft./5 ft.|5 ft./5 ft.|10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks|Axe of the ancestors, summon archon, weigh the heart, wrathful gaze|Summon archon, stonefoot, wrathful gaze|Summon archon, stonefoot, wrathful gaze
Special Qualities|Damage reduction 5/chaotic or evil, darkvision 60 ft., dwarven heritage, incorporeality, possess statue, stonecunning|Abandon statue, construct traits, darkvision 60 ft., dwarven heritage, low-light vision, stability, stonecunning|Abandon statue, construct traits, damage reduction 10/adamantine, darkvision 60 ft., dwarven heritage, low-light vision, stability, stonecunning
Saves|Fort +10, Ref +9, Will +10|Fort +3, Ref +3, Will +8|Fort +4, Ref +3, Will +9
Abilities|Str —, Dex 18, Con 21, Int 13, Wis 20, Cha 17|Str 18, Dex 10, Con —, Int 13, Wis 20, Cha 17|Str 27, Dex 8, Con —, Int 13, Wis 20, Cha 17
Skills|Appraise +10 (+12 stone or metal), Diplomacy +12, Intimidate +12, Knowledge (history) +10, Knowledge (religion) +10, Listen +14, Search +10 (+12 to notice unusual stonework), Sense Motive +14, Spot +14|Same as ancestor spirit|Same as ancestor spirit
Feats|Ability Focus (weigh the heart), Combat Reflexes, Weapon Focus (axe of the ancestors)|Improved Bull Rush, Improved Overrun, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (dwarven waraxe)|Awesome Blow, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Overrun, Power Attack, Weapon Focus (dwarven waraxe)
Challenge Rating|6|8|9
Alignment|Always lawful good|Always lawful good|Always lawful good[/table]

An ancestor spirit is the insubstantial form of an honoured dwarf from the Upper Planes, returned to the material plane to serve the interests of the dwarven people and their deity.

Ancestor statues are ancestor spirits that have entered into a masterwork stone statue crafted in the likeness of a dwarf. Almost all statues carved for this purpose are depicted wielding dwarven waraxes, which the ancestor statue is able to employ to full effect in combat.

One in ten such statues carries a shield and wields its waraxe one-handed (add +2 shield bonus to AC, but reduce damage accordingly). One in twenty wields a dwarven urgrosh instead. Such ancestor statues have Weapon Focus with the urgrosh (instead of with the waraxe) and replace their Improved Overrun feat with the Two-Weapon Fighting feat, even though they do not meet the prerequisite.

Statues not originally intended to be inhabited by an ancestor spirit will frequently be depicted with no weapon, and must rely on their slam attack. Such statues have Weapon Focus with their slam attack.

Ancestor statues share the skill ranks of their ancestor spirit forms, though their feats are derived from their Hit Dice as normal, and are more suited to their corporeal state.

Ancestor spirits and ancestor statues speak Celestial, Common and Dwarven.

Abandon statue (Ex): When reduced to 0 hp or otherwise destroyed, or when it wishes to do so (a free action), the dwarven spirit possessing an ancestor statue leaves its stone form and becomes an ancestor spirit.

The ancestor spirit has full hit points, unless it was injured before entering the statue. If the ancestor statue has used its summon archon or wrathful gaze ability, the ancestor spirit cannot also use this ability during the same day or against the same creatures, respectively.

Axe of the ancestors (Su): An ancestor spirit wields an insubstantial weapon with the statistics of a +1 ghost touch dwarven waraxe. This weapon cannot be separated from the ancestor spirit by any means.

Dwarven heritage (Ex): An ancestor spirit or ancestor statue has a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against all spells and spell-like abilities, a +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against humanoids of the orc and goblinoid subtypes, and a +4 dodge bonus to armor class against creatures of the giant type. It has a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison, should any unusual poison be crafted that can affect it. It also possesses the stonecunning special quality, and ancestor statues have the stability special quality.

Ancestor spirits and ancestor statues share the dwarf’s +2 racial bonus on Appraise checks that are related to stone or metal items, but not the bonus on Craft checks, as ancestor spirits and ancestor statues do not engage in crafting.

Possess statue (Su): Given 10 minutes and a suitable statue (see the honoured ancestors spell), an ancestor spirit can take possession of a stone body and become an ancestor statue.

The ancestor statue has full hit points, unless the stone structure was damaged before the spirit possessed the statue. If the ancestor spirit has used its summon archon or wrathful gaze ability, the ancestor statue cannot also use this ability during the same day or against the same creatures, respectively.

Summon archon (Sp): Once per day as a standard action, an ancestor spirit or ancestor statue can summon a hound archon or lantern archon. The summoning lasts for one minute. This is the equivalent of a fifth-level spell.

Weigh the heart (Sp): If an ancestor spirit hits with its incorporeal touch attack, the creature struck must succeed on a Fortitude save (DC 17) or be subject to the following effects. More than one effect may be applicable to each creature. Good creatures are healed of 1d8 points of damage or 1d4 points of damage to one ability score. Lawful creatures receive a +2 morale bonus to attack and damage rolls for 5 rounds. Neutral creatures are slowed for 1 round. Evil creatures take 1d8 points of damage. Chaotic creatures are stunned for 1 round. Orcs, goblinoids and giants cannot attack the ancestor spirit or any dwarf for 1 round. (Chaotic orcs, goblinoids or giants are stunned for 1 round, then unable to attack the ancestor spirit or any dwarf for 1 round.)A dwarf receives a doubled effect: twice the healing or damage, a +4 morale bonus, or 2 rounds stunned or slowed.

This is the equivalent of a 2nd-level spell. The save DC is Charisma-based and includes the benefit of the ancestor spirit’s Ability Focus feat.

Stonefoot (Ex): An ancestor statue that makes a successful overrun against a creature of its size or smaller deals automatic slam damage (Reflex save for half damage; DC 19 for a Medium ancestral statue, 24 for Large). The save DC is Strength-based.

Wrathful gaze (Su): As a free action, an ancestor spirit or ancestor statue can make a gaze attack at a range of up to 30 ft. Creatures meeting this gaze must succeed on a Will save or be shaken. Chaotic evil creatures are frightened instead. Creatures that are neither chaotic nor evil make the saving throw with a +4 bonus.

This is a mind-affecting fear effect that lasts for 24 hours, but it is suppressed 1d4 rounds after the ancestor spirit or ancestor statue is more than 300 ft. from the affected creature, or loses line of effect. Whether or not the save is successful, a creature cannot be affected by the wrathful gaze of the same ancestor spirit or ancestor statue for 24 hours.

The saving throw DC against this gaze attack is 16 for an ancestral spirit, 18 for a Medium ancestral statue, and 19 for a Large ancestral statue. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

TheLonelyScribe
2010-07-16, 09:47 AM
Wrath Paladin

Very cool. Basically, not very versatile, but very powerful at what it can do. Probably tier 2 in that sense. It could definitely get pretty crazy DCs on it's spells by boosting it's strength score, but I don't know whether that's a problem or not.

Honoured Ancestors

What can I say? Just awesome. Can't wait until the ancestor spirits are fully statted out.

Pechvarry
2010-07-16, 02:14 PM
Very cool. Basically, not very versatile, but very powerful at what it can do. Probably tier 2 in that sense. It could definitely get pretty crazy DCs on it's spells by boosting it's strength score, but I don't know whether that's a problem or not.

While potent, I doubt I'd place it at tier 2. If it's even tier 3, it's probably rather low on the spectrum. Their STR-based DCs aren't astronomically higher than pure casters - probably 4-5ish higher on average - but they only apply to Shout, Greater Shout, Song of Dischord, and Storm of Vengeance. While potent spells, it's rather hard to break a campaign with Storm of Vengeance alone. And, of course, being a melee focused class, taking the hit to STR every time they use Strength's Blessing hurts. I'd consider lowering the penalty to STR for using the ability to -1 instead of -2.

Also probably a good idea: lower their Will growth to Poor.

The fact that Illumian (STR bonus spells) Crusaders (or other Mettle meshes) make the best entry is a bit worrisome, but blarg.

EDIT: as more "fun" than serious, I understand this probably isn't the place to fret over concepts too much, but now it's bothering me. I'm lowering the Will save progression to Poor and upping their HD to d10 (where I originally wanted it). D10 + average BAB seems odd, but these guys get OGL's Transformation and lots of other goodies.

Temotei
2010-07-16, 10:53 PM
I'm almost afraid to post my spell now that honored ancestors is up. :smalleek:

Now that I think about it, though...hm. New idea for circle of silver. What if it was an item instead of a spell? :smallbiggrin:

I'm going to make a circle of silver item. As a bonus, I'm making howling draught.

Peregrine
2010-07-17, 11:12 AM
What can I say? Just awesome. Can't wait until the ancestor spirits are fully statted out.

I'm almost afraid to post my spell now that honored ancestors is up. :smalleek:

Heh... I may have overdone it slightly on this one. :smalltongue:

TheLonelyScribe
2010-07-18, 01:48 PM
No! Not the second page! HOMEBREWER SMASH!!!

Astral Digger
You have honed your magical capabilities in the astral plane to the extent that you can swipe precious metals from the emptiness in-between worlds, traversing the aether in a way very much like the tunnels of a miner.
Prerequisites: Profession (mining) 8 ranks, able to cast at least one 1st level conjuration spell, must have visited the astral plane
Benefit: When on the astral plane you can use the profession (mining) skill even when there is nothing to mine from. On the astral plane you gain a +3 bonus to profession (mining) checks. In addition, you may make a profession (mining) check once every three days instead of once a week. However, this filching of precious resources from between the world might have unforeseen consequences (adventure hook alert!).
Normal: You can only mine when the appropriate equipment and resources are around. It takes a week to make money with the profession skill.

Not great, but O.K for a bump.

Temotei
2010-07-18, 02:06 PM
No! Not the second page! HOMEBREWER SMASH!!!

Astral Digger
You have honed your magical capabilities in the astral plane to the extent that you can swipe precious metals from the emptiness in-between worlds, traversing the aether in a way very much like the tunnels of a miner.
Prerequisites: Profession (mining) 16 ranks, Skill Focus (profession [mining]), able to cast at least one 4th level conjuration spell, must have visited the astral plane
Benefit: When on the astral plane you can use the profession (mining) skill even when there is nothing to mine from. On the astral plane you gain a +3 bonus to profession (mining) checks. In addition, you may make a profession (mining) check once every three days instead of once a week. However, this filching of precious resources from between the world might have unforeseen consequences (adventure hook alert!).
Normal: You can only mine when the appropriate equipment and resources are around. It takes a week to make money with the profession skill.

Not great, but O.K for a bump.

Those prerequisites are pretty dang heavy. I'd take away the spell requirement, lower the skill requirement, and get rid of Skill Focus (Profession (mining)).

TheLonelyScribe
2010-07-18, 02:14 PM
Those prerequisites are pretty dang heavy. I'd take away the spell requirement, lower the skill requirement, and get rid of Skill Focus (Profession (mining)).

Duly noted. Pretty sure that I still want at least SOME spellcasting, if only for flavour.

Temotei
2010-07-18, 02:17 PM
Duly noted. Pretty sure that I still want at least SOME spellcasting, if only for flavour.

Note that you still have to be 7th level to even be able to take the feat if the prerequisite is 10 ranks.

It's really weak, still, but it's better.

TheLonelyScribe
2010-07-18, 02:55 PM
However, I don't see a great many of characters visiting the astral plane too early in their career. Since this isn't really a place for perfectly balanced, rigorous homebrew, howabout let's call it a day at 8 and see what everybody else is making.

Temotei
2010-07-18, 02:56 PM
call it a day at 8

Five more hours, then. :smallamused:

Yum. Homebrew.

EDIT: You meant ranks. I got that as soon as I posted. :smallbiggrin:

Rowanomicon
2010-07-18, 11:42 PM
I hope this is in line with what you want form this thread or if you’d prefer people stick to your challeneges, but I went to the sites you linked to and started playing with the generators.
Anyway, I got the term "Pyroduelist" that made me think of a western style quick-shooter that used small blasts of fire.
Here it is.

HD
d8

Requirements
BAB +5

Class Skills
Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Ride (Str), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Cha), Slight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Rope (Dex)

Skill Points/Level
8 + Int Mod

{table=head]Level | Base Attack Bonus | Fort Save | Ref Save | Will Save | Special
1st | +1 | +0 | +2 | +0 | Flame Shot, Fiery Instinct, Fire Resistance, Speed
2nd | +2 | +0 | +3 | +0 | Bonus Feat
3rd | +3 | +1 | +3 | +1 | Difficult Target
4th | +4 | +1 | +4 | +1 | Bonus Feat, Animal Companion
5th | +5 | +1 | +4 | +1 | Evasion
6th | +6 | +2 | +5 | +2 | Bonus Feat, On Your Toes
7th | +7 | +2 | +5 | +2 | Flame Burst
8th | +8 | +2 | +6 | +2 | Bonus Feat, Dual Flame Shot
9th | +9 | +3 | +6 | +3 | Fiery Temper
10th | +10 | 37 | +7 | +3 |Bonus Feat, Firewalk, Fire Door, Improved Animal Companion[/table]

Flame Shot (Su)
A Pyroduelist shoot a small ball of flame from his finger tips as an Attack Action. This counts as a Ranged Attack with a range equal to 20 feet multiplied by his Class Level. A Pyroduelist's Flame Shot deals 1d12 damage/Class Level + 1 damge/Class Level (1d12+1 at level 1; 10d12+10 at level 10). The Flame Shot's critical hit threat range and damage is 18-20/x3

Fiery Instinct
A Pyroduelist gains a bonus equal to their Class Level to all Initiative Rolls.

Fire Resistance
A Pyroduelist has Fire Resistance equal to 10 x Class Level.

Speed
A Pyroduelist’s Speed increases by +5 Feet/Class Level. If the Pyroduelist is mounted and for a number of minutes equal tot heir Class Level this applies to the Mount as well.

Bonus Feat
At every even level a Pyroduelist gains a Bonus feat from the following list: Acrobatic, Agile, Alertness, Athletic, Combat Reflexes, Deceitful, Deft Hands, Dodge, Mobility, Endurance, Diehard, Improved Critical (Flame Shot), Improved Initiative, Lightning Reflexes, Negotiator, Nimble Fingers, Persuasive, Point Blank Shot, Far Shot, Precise Shot, Improved Precise Shot, Rapid Shot, Manyshot, Shot On The Run, Run, Self-Sufficient, Skill Focus, Stealthy, Toughness, Track, Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Greater Two-Weapon Fighting, Weapon Focus (Flame Shot), Weapon Specialization (Flame Shot), Greater Weapon Focus (Flame Shot), Greater Weapon Specialization (Flame Shot)
He must qualify for the Feat in order to take it.

Difficult Target
All ranged attacks against a Pyroduelist suffer from a miss chnace equal to 5% x Class Level.

Animal Companion
A Pyroduelist gains an Animal Companion just like a Druid (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/druid.htm#theDruidsAnimalCompanion).
A Pyroduelist’s Animal Companion also has a 30 foot Cone of Fire Breath Weapon that deals 1/2 the Pyroduelist’s Flame Shot dmage. For the purposes of Animal Companion advancment a Pryoduelist counts as a Druid of his Class Level.

Evasion
A Pyroduelist can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If he makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, he instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the Pyroduelist is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless Pyroduelist does not gain the benefit of evasion.
Special: if a Character already has Evasion then this acts as
Improved Evasion
This ability works like evasion, except that while the Pyroduelist still takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks henceforth she takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless Pyrodueslist does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.

On Your Toes
A Pyroduelist is never Flat-Footed.

Flame Burst (Su)
A Pyroduelist may, as a Standard Action, discharge a fiery explosion centered on himself with a radius of 5 Feet for ever 2 Class Levels. The fire harms neither himself nor his equipment, but deals his Flame Shot damage to everything else within range. Creatures may make a Reflex saving throw to take half damage, DC equals 10 + Class Level + Cha modifier.

Dual Flame Shot
A Pyroduelist may dual wield his Flame Shot as two separate light ranged weapons.

Fiery Temper
Whenever a Pyroduelist takes combat damage he may choose one ability score and gain a +2 bonus tot hat score for a number of rounds equal to his Class Level. These bonuses stack.

Firewalk (Su)
A Pyrosuelist can literally walk on air. He moves at his normal speed in all directions, including vertically, but cannot move more than double his speed in a round if using this ability. A firewalking Pyroduelist leaves footprints of flame in the air that disperse in 2 rounds, but his tread does not deal damage.
If the Pyroduelist is mounted and for a number of minure equal to his Class Level this applies to the Mount as well.
This ability requires no activation and may be used as part of any movement.

Fire Door (Su
A Pyrokineticist may transport himslef and others disappearing in a non-harmful burst of flame and reappearing somewhere e lse with range. This ability is as the spell dimension door (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dimensiondoor.htm) at a Caster Level equal to the Pyroduelist’s Class Level

Improved Animal Companion
At 10th Level a Pyroduelist counts as a 20th Level Druid for the purposes of Animal Companion advancement.
Also the Animal COmpanion’s Breath Weapon increases to dealing 3/4 of the Pyroduelist’s Flame Shot damage.

It's not perfect, but it seems like a decent first draft.
I'm not so sure about Evasion, but I couldn't think of anything better to give them.
(As always with me) any ideas and input is much appreciated.
One thing I'm unsure about is the order that the Class Features should be given in...

Temotei
2010-07-18, 11:47 PM
I hope this is in line with what you want form this thread or if you’d prefer people stick to your challeneges, but I went to the sites you linked to and started playing with the generators.

Hey, it's homebrew. :smalltongue:

Dracomortis
2010-07-19, 12:05 AM
Eh, what the hell, I'll be the odd-man-out and do some 4e :smallbiggrin:

Wrathful Crusader
"Take solace in the knowledge that your death will bring peace to others."

Prerequisite: Paladin

You became a paladin not only to protect the innocent, but also to punish the corrupt and unjust. You thought the others would be like you, but it became apparent that they all shared one crippling flaw: they were too willing to grant mercy to the minions of evil. They believe that none are beyond saving, but you know better; you've seen all too often how the redeemed slip back into their vile ways. Perhaps someone you know fell victim to a creature that had supposedly repented of their sins, or maybe you were simply born with an innate hatred of evil. Whatever the case, you've set out on a crusade with one goal: to make sure that evil "repents" once and for all.

Wrathful Crusader Path Features

Swift Retribution (11th level): When you spend an action point to take an extra action, you can use your divine challenge as an immediate reaction, even if you have already used it this turn.

Divine Justice (11th level): You gain a +1 bonus to attack rolls against creatures marked by you.

Fanaticism (16th level): Whenever you deal radiant damage to a target marked by you, that creature gains vulnerability 5 against radiant damage until the end of your next turn.

Wrathful Crusader Prayers

Holy Wrath Wrathful Crusader Attack 11
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
With a single burst of holy power you smite all those with hostile intentions
towards you and your allies.
Encounter ♦ Divine, Radiant
Standard Action Close burst 3
Target: Each enemy in burst
Attack: Charisma vs. Will
Hit: 2d8 + Charisma modifier radiant damage. If the target makes any attack
before the end of your next turn, it takes another 1d8 + Charisma modifier
radiant damage.
Special: The first time you are bloodied in an encounter, make a saving
throw. If you pass, this power recharges, and using it takes only a minor
action for the remainder of the encounter.

Marked for Judgement Wrathful Crusader Utility 12
Drawing upon your faith and conviction you channel divine energy into every
swing, dooming those you have deemed unrighteous.
Daily ♦ Divine, Radiant
Minor Action Personal
Effect: Until the end of the encounter, all attacks you make against targets
marked by you deal radiant damage equal to your Charisma modifier, in addition
to their normal effects.

Penance in Death Wrathful Crusader Attack 20
With a single righteous blow you seal the target's fate — it must pay the
ultimate price for its crimes.
Daily ♦ Divine, Radiant, Weapon
Standard Action Melee weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: Strength vs. Reflex
Hit: 4[W] + Charisma modifier radiant damage. If the target is marked by you
or bloodied, this attack does an extra 2[W] radiant damage and the target is
weakened (save ends).

imp_fireball
2010-07-19, 04:18 AM
lol

--

Ok, I saw Wrath Paladin and had to cook something up. Basically a specialized Divine Crusader.

Wrath Paladin

Prerequisites:
Alignment: Any non-neutral. Must match chosen Deity.
Base Attack Bonus: +7
Knowledge (Religion): 3 ranks
[b]Base Fortitude Save: +5

HD: d10
Skills: 2+int. Skill list as Divine Crusader (Concentration, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Knowledge [religion], Ride, and all 3 STR-based skills)

{table]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Class Features|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th|9th
1|0|2|0|0|Wrath Domain, Divine Wrath|0|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-
2|1|3|0|0|Primal Blessing|1|0|-|-|-|-|-|-|-
3|2|3|1|1|Boundless|2|1|0|-|-|-|-|-|-
4|3|4|1|1|Strength's Blessing|2|2|1|0||-|-|-|-
5|3|4|1|1||3|2|2|1|0|-|-|-|-
6|4|5|2|2|Indomitable Focus (Wis Damage/Drain)|3|3|2|2|1|0|-|-|-
7|5|5|2|2|Warblessing|3|3|3|2|2|1|0|-|-
8|6|6|2|2||3|3|3|3|2|2|1|0|-
9|6|6|3|3||3|3|3|3|3|2|2|1|0
10|7|7|3|3|Indomitable Focus (Mind-affecting)|3|3|3|3|3|3|2|2|1[/table]

Wrath Domain: At 1st level, The Wrath Paladin gains access to the Wrath Domain (Spell Compendium) and its domain power (sacrifice Wisdom to gain a bonus to Strength at a 2:1 rate for [Cleric level] rounds). See spellcasting below.

Spellcasting: A Wrath Paladin's spell list, predictably, consists only of the spells on the Wrath domain's list. Unlike normal domain casters, the Wrath Paladin is not limited to only one spell/day/level. When determining what level of spells he may cast and bonus spells/day, use the Wrath Paladin's Wisdom score before applying the penalties for using the domain ability. Spell DCs are based on current wisdom (though see Strength's Blessing). Thus, a Wrath Paladin with a Wisdom of 16 could cast up to 6th level spells, even if his Wisdom score is currently a 3. The spell DC, in this instance, would be 10+ spell level - 4, as it's still Wis-based.

Divine Wrath: When you choose to use the Wrath Domain ability, you may choose to use your effective Cleric level (your caster level in this class), or you may choose to use duration: encounter. If you use this second option, you may not voluntarily dismiss the effect. Finally, while in a Divine Wrath, you gain a bonus on all Concentration checks equal to your levels in this class.

Primal Blessing: If you possess a Rage or similar ability, you may cast spells from the Wrath domain while in a rage. This also applies to Rage acquired via the Rage spell (thus making yourself a viable target for such a spell) and Tenser's Transformation. You may make concentration checks to cast spells (though you may not Cast Defensively), but not other uses of the concentration skill. Other restrictions from a rage, such as activating Spell Trigger items or Combat Expertise, still apply.

Boundless: You may choose to use your Wrath Domain ability as many times as you wish. Every time you attempt to use the ability after the first, you are Fatigued for 5 minutes afterwards. You may only use a Divine Wrath once per encounter.

Strength's Blessing: While in a Divine Wrath, you may choose to use your Strength Modifier in place of your abysmal Wis modifier for the purpose of figuring spell DCs. Whenever you use this ability, the bonus to your strength score from Divine Wrath is lowered by 2 for the duration of this use -- your Wisdom penalty is not lessened. If you do not have 2 or more bonus points of STR from using Divine Wrath, you may not use this ability.

Indomitable Focus: Your blind rage is focused on one objective: the destruction of your opponent. At 6th level, you become immune to Wisdom Drain or Wisdom Damage while in a Divine Wrath. You are not immune to penalties to your Wisdom score, but they may not lower your Wisdom to 0, as usual for ability score penalties.
At 10th level, you become immune to mind controlling and mind-affecting effects, as through a magic circle spell, for as long as your Divine Wrath persists.

Warblessing: You may treat all spells from the Wrath Domain as swift actions, as though the Quicken Spell feat were applied but with no adjustment to the spell's level. You may also hold concentration on a Wrath domain spell as a Swift action and even cast other Wrath domain spells while maintaining concentration on another spell.

---

Could use a better capstone. Obviously, I saw "wrath", had recently seen the domain, and went crazy-go-nuts with it. I think I did a decent job of synergizing abilities whilst also creating tension in them. Choosing to lower your strength bonus in return for a very potent Song of Discord, for instance. Your high STR bonus is better the longer you get to keep it up, but Song of Discord is best used at the outset of an encounter as well. Tell me whatcha think, etc.

I also explicitly avoided Mettle, as while I negated some of the drawbacks of a floored Wisdom (he can't be insta-disabled via Wis damage, he's not totally open to mind control), I still want his low Will saves and low Wis scores to remain a weakness.

For reference, Wrath domain spells:
1st: Rhino's Rush
2nd: Bull's Strength
3rd: Rage
4th: Shout
5th: Righteous Might
6th: Song of Discord
7th: Tenser's Transformation
8th: Shout, Greater
9th: Storm of Vengeance

Combine that with muscle mage (homebrew on this board), or have an ogre or orc (possibly gray orc) rolling with it. :smallcool:
-------

I've got an idea for a very powerful magic item.

Something like a voodoo doll (not necessarily a doll, but the same principle), except it requires a whole lot of preparation before use - like setting up an alchemist's lab; so it can't really be used in combat unless the lab is already there while there is a combat encounter.

I saw Red Sonja (the movie with whatshername, the bad actress), where they had a scene (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FqUHKa1cts&feature=related) (near the end, around 8:30 of the clip, I think) of a wizard (or an alchemist/wizardy whatever guy) doing that.

Also, something that involves such power that one can lose control over it, invoking the 'super power overload' trope.

Volthawk
2010-07-19, 10:50 AM
OK, Spirit Sanity:

Spirit Sanity
Abjuration
Level: Cleric 4
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One incorporeal creature

This spell removes any fear, confusion or turned condition the target is affected with, even if the spell specifies only specific spells work.

Temotei
2010-07-19, 12:12 PM
OK, Spirit Sanity:

Spirit Sanity
Abjuration
Level: Cleric 5
Casting Time: 1 minuite
Target: One incorporeal creature
Duration: Permanent

This spell removes any fear, confusion or turned condition the target is affected with.

Permanent duration? It should be instantaneous. If it was permanent, you become immune to all of those conditions. Clerics would memorize only that spell for the day in their 5th-level slots and then cast them on all the party members.

It seems like a high-level slot for a situational spell that's weaker than break enchantment (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/breakEnchantment.htm), though.

Volthawk
2010-07-19, 12:22 PM
Permanent duration? It should be instantaneous. If it was permanent, you become immune to all of those conditions. Clerics would memorize only that spell for the day in their 5th-level slots and then cast them on all the party members.

It seems like a high-level slot for a situational spell that's weaker than break enchantment (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/breakEnchantment.htm), though.

I mean instantaneous.

Well, I intended it to work on things like Insanity, which says only a few higher-level spells work on it, like heal, greater restoration and wish. Just that it only works on incorporeal creatures. What level would you say? 4th?

Temotei
2010-07-19, 12:26 PM
I mean instantaneous.

Well, I intended it to work on things like Insanity, which says only a few higher-level spells work on it, like heal, greater restoration and wish. Just that it only works on incorporeal creatures. What level would you say? 4th?

I'd say 4th, probably, yes. I might be off, though, since I haven't really looked at many homebrew spell threads.

IcarusWings
2010-07-19, 12:27 PM
Circle of Silver
Abjuration
Level: Cleric 6, Paladin 4
Components: Verbal, Somatic
Range: 0ft
Target: Self
Duration: 1 hour per caster level

This spell creates a 5 foot/2 caster levels radius circle centered on the caster. Outsiders, Fey and Undead take 2d6 per caster level every round they are inside the area of effect, and creatures with DR/silver may not enter the circle at all.

There ya' go, that's the first spell I've ever homebrewedso I'm not sure if I got the level of the spell quite right.

Temotei
2010-07-19, 12:43 PM
Circle of Silver
Abjuration
Level: Cleric 6, Paladin 5
Components: Verbal, Somatic
Range: 0ft
Target: Self
Duration: 1 hour per caster level

This spell creates a 5 foot/2 caster levels radius circle centered on the caster. Outsiders, Fey and Undead take 2d6 per caster level every round they are inside the area of effect, and creatures with DR/silver may not enter the circle at all.

There ya' go, that's the first spell I've ever homebrewedso I'm not sure if I got the level of the spell quite right.

Paladins don't get level 5 spells.

IcarusWings
2010-07-19, 02:50 PM
Paladins don't get level 5 spells.

Whoops, AFB right now and I ended up thinking they got up to 6th. Do you think it would still be balanced to move it to a paladin 4th? I kinda want paladin's to be able to get it.

Temotei
2010-07-19, 02:58 PM
Whoops, AFB right now and I ended up thinking they got up to 6th. Do you think it would still be balanced to move it to a paladin 4th? I kinda want paladin's to be able to get it.

Yeah. The poor paladin deserves a little love. :smallamused:

TheLonelyScribe
2010-07-19, 04:31 PM

Well, the idea of this thread is to complete the challenges, so it might be good to post it as a separate thread (especially since you seemed to have put so much work into it.) Basically, I don't mind so much, but if you want critique and such I'd recommend posting it somewhere else. But eh, it's a free forum.

On another note, it's really a pleasure to see what's going on in this forum. I'm very pleased to see how popular it's become, and how good the stuff going on here is. I think it's probably time to put up the new challenges.

Temotei
2010-07-19, 04:58 PM
Dude. Puffin trainer? :smallbiggrin:

imp_fireball
2010-07-19, 05:17 PM
I wanna use the wrath paladin in a new game. Combine it with my ogre without LA (and the 'ogre brute' feat that gives the ogre full BAB and d12 HD for its levels in ogre) that I homebrewed for good times.

Only problem so far though is that the class doesn't specify caster level progression for levels in wrath paladin.

Pechvarry
2010-07-19, 11:01 PM
Humorously, even the Wizard never actually states that caster level increases at every level. The only time caster level is mentioned is when it runs at half-growth (paladin, hexblade, etc).

Therefore, as a class that gets its own spell progression instead of advancing another, it's safe to assume CL=class level.

And, of course, any time you're dealing with homebrew, you should strive as much as you can for rules as intended instead of as-written.

Peregrine
2010-07-20, 04:34 AM
Humorously, even the Wizard never actually states that caster level increases at every level. The only time caster level is mentioned is when it runs at half-growth (paladin, hexblade, etc).

It is stated, just not in the class listings. It's only stated in the class listings for the exceptional cases; they're exceptions to the general rule which is stated in the Magic chapter (PHB p.171, or Magic Overview in the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/castingSpells#casterLevel)).

A spell’s power often depends on its caster level, which for most spellcasting characters is equal to your class level in the class you’re using to cast the spell.

On topic, I hope to finish the dwarf ancestor stats soon; probably after I finish the competition entry that's due today, though. :smallsmile:

Temotei
2010-07-20, 09:17 PM
Bloodbolt
Conjuration (Healing)
Level: Clr 5, Pal 4
Target: One undead creature/three levels, no two of which can be more than 30 ft. apart
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates

You restore flowing blood and a living heart to a number of undead creatures. In doing so, the undead become vulnerable to the following effects they would otherwise be immune to: poison, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, fatigue, exhaustion, physical ability score damage (treat their Constitution scores as 10), massive damage, effects requiring Fortitude saves. Both positive energy (such as a cure spell) and negative energy (such as an inflict spell) harm the creatures. The undead lose any turn resistance they had.

The target undead creatures are vulnerable to this spell's effect, despite it requiring a Fortitude saving throw.

Material Component
A sprinkle of holy water and diamond dust worth 500 gp.

Ajadea
2010-07-20, 10:56 PM
Puffin Trainer? Really? But Tiger Summoner...I can make that.

Tiger Summoner (PRC)

Prerequisites:
Alignment: Any neutral.
Base Attack Bonus: +4
Skills: Knowledge (nature) 10 ranks, Hide 4 ranks, Move Silently 4 ranks, Swim 4 ranks
Feats: Spell Focus (conjuration), Augment Summoning
Spells: Ability to cast summon nature's ally IV as a divine spell.

HD: d8
The tiger summoner's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Hide (Dex), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).
Skill Points: 4+Int modifier

{table]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Class Features|Spells
1|+0|+2|+2|+0|Tiger Summoner +1, Tigerspeaker|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
2|+1|+3|+3|+0|Tiger Companion|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
3|+2|+3|+3|+1|Catspeaker, Versatile Tiger Summoning -1|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
4|+3|+4|+4|+1|Tiger Summoner +2|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
5|+3|+4|+4|+1|Imbued Tigers|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
6|+4|+5|+5|+2|Beastspeaker|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
7|+5|+5|+5|+2|Tiger Summoner +3|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
8|+6|+6|+6|+2|Dire Tiger Companion, Versatile Tiger Summoning -2|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
9|+6|+6|+6|+3|Improved Tiger Imbuing|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
10|+7|+7|+7|+3|Tiger Summoner +4, Wildspeaker|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
[/table]

Tiger Summoner (Su): Whenever you use a summon nature's ally spell to summon a tiger or dire tiger, you summon additional tigers, as shown on the table above. In addition, you may spontaneously transmute prepared spells into summon nature's ally spells made to summon tigers.

Tigerspeaker (Su): You may speak with tigers (and only tigers) as if a speak with animals spell has been cast on you.

Tiger Companion (Ex): You gain a tiger companion, as a druid, whether or not your effective druid levels would allow you to have a tiger as a companion. Treat it as a creature from the 4th level creature list for the purposes of determining special abilities. Add your tiger summoner level to your effective druid level ONLY for the purposes of having a tiger or dire tiger animal companion. Add half your tiger summoner level (round down) for the purposes of summoning a different being to serve as your animal companion.

Catspeaker (Su): As Tigerspeaker, except the ability now extends to all felines.

Versatile Tiger Summoning (Su): You may use two lower level spell-slots to spontaneously cast a summon nature's ally spell cast to summon tigers. Both spell slots must be 1 level lower than the level of the summon nature's ally spell you wish to cast. You do not have to be able to cast the spell (A ranger 14/tiger summoner 3 could cast summon nature's ally V to summon tigers, despite the fact that rangers normally can never cast fifth level spells). This amount decreases to 2 levels lower than the summoning spell at level 8.

Imbued Tigers (Su): You may imbue your summoned tigers as if you had the Imbued Summoning spell. You still must raise the level of the spell slot used to cast the spell.

Beastspeaker (Su): As Catspeaker, except the ability now extends to all animals and magical beasts.

Dire Tiger Companion (Ex): As Tiger Companion, except treat the dire tiger as a creature from the 13th level list to determine abilities.

Improved Tiger Imbuing (Su): When summoning imbued tigers, you no longer need to raise the level of the spell slot used to cast the imbued spell.

Wildspeaker (Su): As Beastspeaker, except the ability now extends to vermin and plant creatures as well.

Temotei
2010-07-21, 12:00 AM
That class could use a better capstone than being able to speak to things. Make it special! :smallbiggrin:

I might have to make a puffin trainer prestige class/Puffin Trainer feat/puffin trainer spell.

Volthawk
2010-07-21, 03:36 AM
That class could use a better capstone than being able to speak to things. Make it special! :smallbiggrin:

I might have to make a puffin trainer prestige class/Puffin Trainer feat/puffin trainer spell.

What, a Puffin Trainer Prestige class that requires the Puffin Trainer feat, and gives access to the Puffin Trainer spell?

IcarusWings
2010-07-21, 10:17 AM
I hope Vestiges are within the rules for the spell section :D

Elves' Anger 8th level Vestige

The united soul of a lost civilisation. Elves' Anger gives various traits.

Legend: Legends tell of an ancient elvish civilisation.They had great power and were favoured by the gods.
Around the same time as this civilisation reached it's prime, a mysterious evil rose up from a deep and fiery pit in the lowest reaches of hell. An evil formed from the screams of countless damned souls seeking revenge.
when the evil reached the material plane it roared thrice. The first roar ripped through the Hedge and devestated the Faerie Kingdoms, the second roar tore through the ethereal plane stealing it's magic and forming the shadow plane, the third roar broke down the walls of the mighty fortress of the gods and killed the first king of the gods stone dead.
The gods panicked and fled from the creature, they wove deep spells of deception and hid upon the astral plane, where they believed they would never be found.
With the gods gone, there was nobody to stand up to the beast. The Faerie tried but with their shattered kingdom, they soon lost heart and fled.
When all peoples and kingdoms of the planes reduced to despair, one civilisation stood up.
The ancient elvish kingdom gathered it's finely forged weapons, and it's mighty spells, and they battled the beast tooth for tooth. Their great magicks and valour won the day, and the beast was banished to the Far Realms.
But at what cost, during the fight, the civilisation had become tainted by the creature. They no longer needed food or water, and swords would not strike them. They were truly immortal.
The gods feared this development, and despised their mutation. They erased the civilisation from history, their story never to be told. They then began work on a great cage of terrible magick to trap the civilisation forevermore.
The elves were truly angered at this slight. That they, who had saved the whole cosmos, were to be forgotten and trapped away.
They began a march on the gods.
Their swords shone as they marched, tearing through the planes. The gods fought desperately, but their swords would not strike the elves, and their spells had no effect.
The elves slew them, god by god. And as every god was hewn down, they got more desperate. Eventually, they took the souls of the dead gods, and from them they forged a great shining sword. A sword which could strike the elves, a sword which could beat them.
The destructive power of this sword was immense, it annihilated their connection to the cosmos, preventing them from moving to the afterlife. Their souls were fused together by the sheer power, and they became a vestige.
Special Requirements: you must not worship a god.
Manifestation: a scale version of a great city appears before you, and it slowly tumbles into ruin.
Then a single elf, with a sword made of pure light sticking through his chest appears. But his face seems to be shifting, as if flicking through a thousand seperate faces, and hen the elf speaks it has the sound of a thousand voice speaking in chorus.
Signs: your limbs shake slightly when in the presence of a divine being, or when on sacred or unholy ground.
Influence: Elves' Anger will not allow you to make dealings with divine beings or servants thereof.
Granted Abilities:
Unstrikeable presence: You gain DR 8/blessed weapons while you have Elves' Anger bound.
Protective Magicks: you gain SR 15 while you have Elves' Anger bound.
God Slaying Strike: an amount times per day equal to a quarter your effective binder level you may declare you are making a God Slaying Strike. You roll an attack roll, and if it hits then the target divine spell slots equal to the amount you succeeded by. If the attack misses then you still expend one of the uses of the Strike.

There ya' go. Needs more abilities but I can't think of any right now.

TheLonelyScribe
2010-07-22, 08:50 AM
I hope Vestiges are within the rules for the spell section :D

Elves' Anger

Vestiges are, justabout. Really, if you can make the names work, they can be anything. The sections are only there as guidlines for the kind of things that might work.

Elves' Anger is... interesting... unfinished... kind of cool:smallsmile:

Peregrine
2010-07-22, 12:11 PM
I so want to do "Multipirate". :smallbiggrin: But I think I ought to finish the dwarven ancestors first.

I'm almost done, except for the skills for the ancestor spirit. I don't want to give it any mental skills that it suddenly can't use for no good reason once it becomes an ancestor statue. But outsiders have so many more skill points than constructs! Help?

(Any feedback on the challenge ratings is also welcome. And I've just noticed that I haven't set the natural armour bonuses for the ancestor statues. :smallsigh:)

Ajadea
2010-07-23, 07:12 PM

I was considering some sort of wildshape (tigers only, for obvious thematic reasons), but it looked as though it was getting a bit overpowered. Tiger Summoner +4 is a perfectly reasonable capstone, even if it's not particularly unique.

Dire Tigers are from the Summon Nature's Ally VII list. Summoning ONE as a 10th level Tiger summoner means you summon five dire tigers, a CR 12 encounter at least.

That's like casting Maximized Summon Nature's Ally XI (a 12th level spell), using Summon Nature's Ally VII, using two 5th level spell-slots. See the potential balance issues?

I can see an Animal Domain cleric entering the prestige class, though most would be druids. Really fricking scary druids.

TheLonelyScribe
2010-07-25, 02:16 PM
Hehem!

Ancient Mana Gushes [General]
You have connected with the mana of the natural world to be able to recover magical power. Although unpredictable, your attainment can sometimes bring you great power.
Prerequisites: Able to cast 1st level non-divine spells
Benefit: At the beggining of each encounter, roll 1d6. On a result of 6 increase your caster level by 1 and the DCs of your spells by 2 for the remainder of the encounter.

Not great, but not as awful as it could be. Anybody interested in the Multipirate or Puffin Trainer, or do we want new challenges?

Temotei
2010-07-26, 03:51 PM
Ancient Mana Gushes [General]
You have connected with the mana of the natural world to be able to recover magical power. Although unpredictable, your attainment can sometimes bring you great power.
Prerequisites: Able to cast 1st level non-divine spells
Benefit: At the beggining of each encounter, roll 1d6. On a result of 6 increase your caster level by 1 and the DCs of your spells by 2 for the remainder of the encounter.

I'd drop the non-divine requirement. Why can't druids connect to the natural world's "mana?"

My take:

Magic Flow [General]
You are so deeply connected to the world's power that you are able to weave some of that natural magic into your spells.
Prerequisites: Able to cast at least one 2nd-level spell from each school of magic
Benefit: Whenever you cast a spell, you weave natural magic drawn from the world around you into the spell, creating an additional effect on top of the spell based on the school of magic the spell was cast from. All effects last a number of rounds equal to the caster's Hit Dice.

{table=head]School of Magic|Additional Effect
Abjuration|+1 bonus to all saves per 4 HD
Conjuration|Not sure
Divination|+1 bonus to AC per 3 HD
Enchantment|Not sure
Evocation|Reflect HD damage
Illusion|Concealment
Necromancy|2 temporary hit points per HD
Transmutation|+2 to ability score per 5 HD[/table]

Abjuration: When you cast a spell drawn from the abjuration school of magic, you gain a +1 bonus to all saving throws for 2 rounds. At 4 Hit Dice, and every 4 Hit Dice after, you gain an additional +1 bonus. This bonus does not stack with itself. Instead, the duration is renewed if you cast another abjuration spell.

Conjuration:

Divination:

Enchantment:

Evocation: When you cast a spell drawn from the evocation school of magic, you gain the ability to turn back damage taken in melee equal to your Hit Dice for 2 rounds. The damage is reflected back at the attacker just as if you had attacked them, except regardless of the attack, you do not provoke any attacks of opportunity. This reflection does not stack with itself. That is, you do not reflect Hit Dice x 2 damage if you cast two evocation spells in the duration. Instead, the duration is renewed if you cast another evocation spell.

Illusion: When you cast a spell drawn from the illusion school of magic, you gain concealment for 2 rounds. The duration is renewed if you cast another illusion spell.

Necromancy: When you cast a spell drawn from the necromancy school of magic, you gain 2 temporary hit points per level for 2 rounds. These temporary hit points do not stack with each other. Instead, the duration is renewed if you cast another necromancy spell.

Transmutation: When you cast a spell drawn from the transmutation school of magic, you gain a +2 bonus to one ability score of your choice for 2 rounds. At 5 Hit Dice, and every 5 Hit Dice after, you gain an additional +2 bonus. Casting multiple transmutation spells in the duration does not increase the ability score further, though you may opt to raise another ability score in this manner. Choosing the same ability score again resets the duration.

Eh. :smallamused:

Otherwise, a metamagic feat could work, too.

TheLonelyScribe
2010-07-26, 04:21 PM
Conjuration: heal 1 hp per whatever HD?

Illusion: Concealment for 1 round per whatever HD?

Temotei
2010-07-26, 07:09 PM
Conjuration: heal 1 hp per whatever HD?

Illusion: Concealment for 1 round per whatever HD?

Exactly. That type of thing. It's a lot more fun than a static, once per six encounters bonus.

It could be better, since it's still fairly static, but it's slightly more fun that way.

Volthawk
2010-07-26, 07:12 PM
Maybe Evocation could have a damage feedback-type thing, so if they take damage, the attacker takes damage back.

Temotei
2010-07-26, 07:18 PM
Maybe Evocation could have a damage feedback-type thing, so if they take damage, the attacker takes damage back.

Yes. :smallcool:

Dracomortis
2010-07-28, 12:52 AM
A somewhat loose interpretation of "tiger summoner", but I wanted something that I could also contribute to Mephibosheth's Homebrew Spirit Shaman Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154917) thread.

Disciple of the Spectral Tiger

Among those well-versed in the spirit world there is a tale of a particular spirit that is said to be the embodiment of the perfect predator: cunning, patient, and deadly. Most stories describe this spirit as an immense, ghostly tiger or sometimes another hunting cat such as a cheetah or lion, usually of a pale blue or purple color. It prowls between both the physical and spirit worlds, and all creatures are potentially its prey. The spirit is not malicious, however; it simply embodies the natural hierarchy of predator and prey, the truth that any creature can, without notice, become the victim of another.

Those who possess the means to commune with the spirit world and who possess the knowledge of this particular entity can seek out its power. They gain only a fraction of the spirit's immense hunter prowess, but even this small taste is an immense boon to those who know how best to wield it. Particularly skilled individuals can even draw other predatory spirits from their world into ours, granting them powerful allies that are as deadly as they are.

Hit Dice: d8
Requirements:

Skills: Hide 4 ranks, Move Silently 4 ranks
Special: Follow the guide class feature
Special: Must possess a spirit guide or spirit companion that takes the form of a predatory cat of some kind.

Class Skills:

The disciple of the spectral tiger’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Knowledge (geography) (Int), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).

Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier

Disciple of the Spectral Tiger
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Spellcasting
1st|+0|+2|+0|+2|Chastise spirits, hunter of two worlds, prowling spirit|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
2nd|+1|+3|+0|+3|Ephemeral stalker|--
3rd|+2|+3|+1|+3|Call of the spectral hunt 1/day, kindred spirits|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
4th|+3|+4|+1|+4|Feral guidance|--
5th|+3|+4|+1|+4|Blessing of the eternal predator, call of the spectral hunt 2/day|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
[/table]

Class Features

Spells per Day/Spells Retrieved: At each odd level, a disciple of the spectral tiger gains new spells per day and spells retrieved as if she had also gained a level of spirit shaman. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a spirit shaman would have gained.

Chastise Spirits (Su): Disciple of the spectral tiger class levels stack with spirit shaman class levels for the purpose of determining the damage dealt by the disciple of the spectral tiger's Chastise Spirits class ability and the save DC to resist the effects of that ability.

Hunter of Two Worlds (Ex): You have learned much about how the natural beasts and other creatures of the world stalk their prey by watching and communing with their spirits. You gain a bonus to Hide and Move Silently checks equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum +1).

Prowling Spirit (Su): As a free action once per round, you can cause your spirit guide to manifest itself more fully into the physical world, granting it a quasi-corporeal body and allowing it to interact with the world to a limited extent. While prowling spirit is active, your spirit guide occupies space as a Medium creature (it is still largely incorporeal, however, so other creatures can occupy the same space as your spirit guide with no penalty), has a fly speed (with perfect maneuverability) equal to your base land speed, and grants you (and only you) flanking while it is adjacent to or occupying the same space as an enemy (even if it would not normally grant flanking relative to your position). Your spirit guide acts on your turn and has a full round of actions, but cannot initially take any actions other than to move. Your spirit guide cannot be attacked or affected by any spells or other abilities, despite its quasi-corporeal form.

While prowling spirit is active, your spirit guide is visible to creatures that possess the ability to see invisible creatures through some means (Normally your spirit guide is undetectable through any means to creatures other than you; this is an exception to that rule that applies only while prowling spirit is active). Your spirit guide retains its invisibility regardless of any actions it takes while prowling spirit is active.

Prowling spirit can be used for a total number of minutes per day equal to 10 x your class level. This time does not need to be consecutive, and you can end prowling spirit as a free action on your turn.

Ephemeral Predator (Su): At 2nd level, your spirit guide's ties to this world intensify. While prowling spirit is active, you gain a deflection bonus to AC equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum +1) and enemies provoke attacks of opportunity from your spirit guide. Your spirit guide's attacks deal 1d8 + your Wisdom modifier force damage, its attack bonus is equal to your base attack bonus + your class level + your Wisdom modifier, and its reach is 5 feet. At 4th level, your spirit guide's damage increases to 2d8 + your Wisdom modifier force damage, and its reach increases to 10 feet. Your spirit guide can make a number of attacks of opportunity each round equal to your Wisdom modifier. Your spirit guide's attacks affect both corporeal and incorporeal enemies normally, as if it possessed the ghost touch property.

Call of the Spectral Hunt (Su): At 3rd level, your connection to the predatory spirits of the world is nearly unrivaled, and you have learned to call them to your side in times of need. As a standard action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity, you can draw the spirit of a predatory cat (usually a tiger) into the world. This creature functions exactly like a second spirit guide (and gains any benefits or special actions your normal spirit guide would be entitled to, such as your ephemeral predator class feature), except that it is always under the effect of prowling spirit without needing to use up any of your daily allotment of time for that ability. The summoned spirit remains for 5 rounds, after which time it fades back entirely into the realm of spirits. You can use call of the spectral hunt once per day at 3rd level and twice per day at 5th level.

Kindred Spirits (Su): At 3rd level, you have learned to quickly recall the spirits you have brought into this world. As a swift action, you can teleport your spirit guide to any square adjacent to you, provided the spirit guide is within 100 feet of you. You can also use this ability to move the spirit(s) summoned by your call of the spectral hunt ability; a single use of this ability is sufficient to teleport all of the targets you wish to move at once.

Feral Guidance (Su): At 4th level, your spirit guide's own hunting prowess aids you in battle. When you make a melee or ranged attack roll, you may add your Wisdom modifier instead of your Strength or Dexterity modifier, respectively. In addition, you gain a bonus to all attack rolls equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum +1) while adjacent to your spirit guide.

Blessing of the Eternal Predator (Su): At 5th level, the primal creatures of the spirit world have recognized your status as a hunter, and have granted a portion of their ferocity and cunning to your spirit guide. While prowling spirit is active, your spirit guide can now perform a variety of actions, as follows.

It can make attacks like a normal creature, using the damage, attack bonus, and reach given in the ephemeral predator class feature.
It gains extra attacks based on your base attack bonus.
It now provides flanking for all allied creatures, not just you, using its special flanking rules given in the prowling spirit class feature.

MoleMage
2010-07-28, 01:51 AM
Ancient Mana Gushes, Eh?

Let's see what I can come up with.

Arcane Surge
Transmutation
Level: Sor/Wiz 5, Magic 4 (replaces normal domain spell)
Target: One spell with an ongoing duration, one object, or one location
Duration: Special (see below)
Saving Throw: No

This spell causes magic to flare up in the target, producing various effects.

If you choose to target a spell with an ongoing duration, that spells duration is reset. If it has a variable duration, then its duration is maximized as well as being reset. If it has a variable effect, then for one round following this spell, it is treated as having been maximized. No spell can have its duration reset more than once; repeated castings only would produce the maximized variable effect.

If it is cast on an item or area, that item or area will register an overwhelming magical aura to Detect Magic and similar effects. Additionally, if the item or area already has an alignment based aura, said aura moves up a category. Finally, magical items affected by this spell have any magical enhancement bonuses increased by +1/five caster levels (maximum +4 at level 20), as well as maximizing any variable effects produced by the item. Numerical effects which are neither enhancement nor variable are doubled. Remember that two doublings equals a tripling (a +1 Distance Longbow would become +2 and would triple, rather than double, range increments for the duration of this spell; Keen weapons would triple the critical threat range, etc.)

When used in this fashion, the spell's duration is 1 round/2 levels.

Material Component: Any object possessing at least a dim magical aura. Objects of a faint aura have a 25% chance of not being destroyed; objects of a moderate aura have a 50% chance, objects of a strong aura have a 75% chance. Artifacts and objects with an overwhelming aura are not consumed by this spell, but can fuel it nonetheless (undestroyed objects instead act as a focus).

Special Note: The material component really isn't that bad. Lingering auras from spells register as dim, so some dirt which got scorched by a fireball spell would count.

Temotei
2010-07-28, 01:56 AM
Time stop + arcane surge = yum. :smallcool:

MoleMage
2010-07-28, 05:55 PM
Time stop + arcane surge = yum. :smallcool:

Oh yeah. And that should be Transmutation, not Conjuration (Healing). What I get for copying the format from other spells. Fixing.

Temotei
2010-07-31, 04:13 AM
I think it's time for some new challenges, though I'm still working on that feat. It's been nine days since the last challenges went up.

TheLonelyScribe
2010-07-31, 04:37 PM
Yeah, sorry 'bout that, was away for a little. It's late (at least according to my jet lag), but I feel guilty, so new challenges coming up.

MoleMage
2010-07-31, 09:59 PM
Deadly Exorcism
Devoted Spirit (Strike)[Good]
Crusader 3
Initiation Action: Standard
Range: Melee Attack
Target: One Undead or Evil Outsider
Save: Will Partial, see below

With this strike, roll an attack roll at your highest BAB +5 against any undead or evil outsider. If the attack hits, you dead 3d6+1/initiator level extra damage. This damage is divine in nature, and is not subject to damage reduction. Additionally, if the target has HD equal to half your initiator level or less, it is destroyed (undead) or returned to its home plane (outsider). For this strike, your weapon is counted as Good aligned for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction.

Temotei
2010-08-01, 02:09 AM
Jagged Doors
Transmutation
Level: Brd 2, Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V, S
Target: Door or doors touched (up to one/level)
Duration: 1 hour/level
Saving Throw: No

You cause doors, windows, and similar things you touch to become more dangerous to would-be openers. Whenever a creature attempts to open a portal you cast this spell on, that creature takes 1d6 piercing damage and is unable to use the appendage they used to open the door for anything without taking 1d6 damage. Attempting to fight with a weapon held in that hand incurs a -2 penalty to attacks and damage. Attempting to defend with a shield held in that hand reduces the shield bonus to AC by 2 (to a minimum of 0). Casting a spell with somatic components requires a DC 15 + spell level Concentration check, failure leading to the loss of the spell. A successful DC 15 Heal check reduces damage taken for any actions to 1d2 and reduces attack penalties and damage by 1, shield bonus penalties by 1, and Concentration check DCs by 5. A second successful Heal check of the same DC reduces damage taken to 0 and takes away all penalties incurred by this spell (except damage already taken).

Ajadea
2010-08-02, 09:11 PM
Sylvan Ooze
Transmutation
Level: Drd X
Target: One plant or plant creature
Duration: 1 hour/level (can be dismissed)
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates

You lay your hand on the bark of a tree and speak a few soft words. It begins to quiver and melt, becoming a warm translucent green glob.

You turn a plant or plant creature into a Black Pudding of the same size.

Deadly Exorcism
Abjuration/Evocation
Level: Clr 5, Sor/Wiz 6
Components: V, S, M/DF
Target: One extraplanar creature
Saving Throw: Will partial, see text

You make a slashing motion with your hand, and the demon in front of you screams in pain as it is snapped back into the Abyss with a loud "pop!" sound.

You force a single extraplanar creature back to its home plane. It takes 1d6 points of damage per caster level (maximum 15d6). A successful Will save halves the damage.

Whether or not this save succeeds, the extraplanar creature is stunned for one round.

Like dismissal, the save DC for the Will save is equal to the spell's base save DC — the extraplanar creature's HD + your caster level.

Arcane Material Component: A small figure made of twigs, to be snapped in your hand during the casting.

Temotei
2010-08-09, 06:05 PM
It might be time to come up with new challenges. The spells/feats/etc. are completed, but the others are basically covered in other homebrew and existing Wizards of the Coast material.

Peregrine
2010-08-11, 03:31 AM
Well, call dwarves honoured ancestors and the ancestor spirit and ancestor statue stats are finally finished. Time to take on a new challenge... except I'm better at spells than classes, and all the spells have been taken.

I have the beginnings of an idea for another interpretation of sylvan sludge, though... or I could do "hyperwizard" as a feat...

Temotei
2010-08-16, 02:14 AM
Here are new challenges, as I'm impatient. I'm going to list fifteen things. Go ahead and create from any of them until our original poster is back. :smallamused:

Butler Monk
Cloud Cleric
Cursed Healer
Eternity Savior
Gentleman
Hole of Generosity
Kingly Carnage
Maid Hunter
Mime Bodyguard
Mystic Clown
Ninja Cook
Omega Magus
Outlaw Summoner
Scroll Witch
Spirit Crusher

Out of these, I have ideas for cursed healer, hole of generosity, maid hunter, mime bodyguard, mystic clown, and outlaw summoner. My favorite idea is for mime bodyguard. :smallbiggrin:

I hope I'm not coming off as offensive here. I just want this to continue, and since the OP hasn't posted or edited for a while, I figured I would make this continue.

EDIT: Eternity savior has been posted in its own thread as an alternate class feature for the paladin.