PDA

View Full Version : City builder(3.5/PF)

BobVosh
2010-06-14, 04:06 PM
Recently our group hasn't been able to show up with enough players to run a game. So I got in my mind to do a side evil campaign at high level (20) to conquer a high level protected city basically.

Here is what I listed as things I really need to think out before the game starts:

Mage's Guild Temple district Rulers: Theocracy (just felt like doing a theocracy) Protections (magical, garrisons, etc) Opposing cities, level of support that could be count on Allied cities Nobles in the city, level of support, motivation Other local powers (dragons, mage in the woods, druid circles, etc) Landscape Population totals, races, class breakdown Decent city map Resources for the PCs and cities

Anything I missed that is important? Anyone have a good link of fantasy city maps? I'm probably going to try the city builder in the DMG for general stuff, and then build up from there.

However I'm willing to accept ideas on what to do in order to get a lot of this information.

Also I would love a list of defences the rulers should have to prevent mages from screwing them. Stuff like mind blank, forbiddence around the palace, etc. Just general things that stop most level 20 answer all spells and abilities from wrecking them.

A note: I keep saying city, when obviously I mean something more akin to a city-state. I may just make it a reasonably powerful capital to a moderately powerful country.

*edit* Wow I forgot how terrible the city builder in the DMG is >.<

IdleMuse
2010-06-14, 06:13 PM
It probably doesn't need to be said, but Cityscape is basically a book of useful stuff for building a city.

Thurbane
2010-06-14, 09:20 PM
DMG, Cityscape and DMG II all have rules on building cities.

DMG II has a fairly detailed sample city - Saltmarsh, that may be useful.

The link in my sig is an automated version of the tables in the DMG.

Noedig
2010-06-14, 09:36 PM
You already have landscape written down, but that is one of the main things I consider when drawing up cities. In my case, the land around the city often determines the architecture, the ethnic groups, the available resources and numerous other aspects of the city.

Of course your city is very large and likely quite prominent so the landscape would have less of an impact. Trade would likely be established so their would be a greater number of resources to work with, and a larger mixing of racial groups in the city.

Since your city-state is a theocracy churches would obviously be very large and visible depending on the god/goddess. Perhaps even the royal palace and the main cathedral would be linked buildings. I like lots of iconography, and it could be that they have very powerful protective wards on them. Lots of clerics perhaps.

Its your city though, so do as you will.

BobVosh
2010-06-16, 12:24 AM
The automated city builder is kinda neat.

I was planning on making the palace be a rather large house of worship as well. Obviously there are going to be a reasonably large number of clerics, favored souls, etc. Not too many are going to be high enough to be much of a threat, but still.

It may not be as large of an impact, but I was figuring the landscape will imply heavily on what it was originally. I'm thinking a monastery that on a mountain that was over a large town. Underneath, and unknown to either sides, dwarves had started mining and setting up shop. Eventually the three merge, and became a large mining settlement, known for its holy order. Badda bing, badda boom present day.