PDA

View Full Version : Creating a Retiarius in 3.5

Jackolas
2010-06-14, 04:32 PM
What would be the best way using core books to make such a character? WOuld Rogue be suitable or is it better to go with a fighter?
Also does fighting with a net/trident count as two weapon fighting?

Kaiyanwang
2010-06-14, 04:41 PM
Complete Warrior has a style feat to fight this way. Without it, you could quickdraw a net, entangle the target, and then hit with the trident.. but mechanically, trident is not so great for damage.

woodenbandman
2010-06-14, 04:42 PM
Unless you're going for largest weapon possible (like 12d6 large), a weapon's base damage is 100% irrelevant.

demidracolich
2010-06-14, 04:43 PM
Mabye refluff some other weapon as a trident?

Jackolas
2010-06-14, 04:45 PM
Complete Warrior has a style feat to fight this way.

Whats it called please?

Kaiyanwang
2010-06-14, 04:46 PM
Whats it called please?

Net and trident.

Unless you're going for largest weapon possible (like 12d6 large), a weapon's base damage is 100% irrelevant.

But threat range and crit multipliers MATTER. And trident is not great in this regard.

Not to say that is unplayable. Is cool, and more focused on control I guess. Simply, don't expect massive damage without workarounds (Kaorti resin tridents :smalleek:)

Lycar
2010-06-14, 04:58 PM
I once made a Retiarius for a short-live arena style game. Since the guy was supposed to be a gladiator, I went with Thug (variant fighter from UA) for base class. Took Exotic Wpn. Prof. Net and Two Weapon Fighting.

Manica and Galerus were represented as a masterwork buckler, that is +1 to AC, no ACP but -1 on attacks with the off-hand weapon. Which would be your net. So yes, the Retiarius is a Two Weapon fighter. Trident and net.

Thugs have Bluff as a class skill, so I planned to get both Cmbt. Expertise and Imp. Feint eventually to defeat enemy dodge AC.

The problem is that you need STR for to-hit and damage (and to control an entangled foe with your net), DEX for AC and if you are a gladiator, some CHA doesn't hurt either. CON is nice too. And ask your DM if he will allow Perform (Weapon Drill) as a class skill maybe? It is all about pleasing the crowd after all. And a pleased crowed my vote 'thumbs up' if your warrior goes down with enough style. ;)

I also decided to have an extra net as a reserve. Not exactly historically accurate, but since the penalties for a unfolded net are a real hassle... although you are attacking touch AC, so maybe it is not that bad all things considered. But a net is not a light weapon, so TWF penalties apply.

Lycar