PDA

View Full Version : Giant Frog Companion [PF]

Runeclaw
2010-06-14, 06:12 PM
My Pathfinder Druid is getting a new Giant Frog companion, at least temporarily, because that's what is currently available.

It will have 9 HD - what Feats could maximize its effectiveness? I'm thinking of maybe trying to take advantage of its reached-grappling? Other than that I guess it just bites people? It can swallow whole, but only Small or smaller creatures, so I'm not sure how much that's worth. Leap Attack and Spring Attack seem thematic.

Pathfinder plus all 3.5 suppliments are available.

Keld Denar
2010-06-14, 06:16 PM
Does it have Improved Grab? If not, Scorpion's Grasp (Sticky Tongue?) from Its Hot Outside would give it Imp Grab.

Alternatively, could it take Martial Study: (Any Stone Dragon) + Martial Stance (Crushing Roots of the Mountain)? If its gonna grapple, adding Constrict damage for fun and profit is always a good time.

Barring that, some utility like Improved Toughness would give it an extra 9 HP, always useful.

Runeclaw
2010-06-14, 06:41 PM
What on Earth is "It's Hot Outside"?

No, the frog sadly doesn't get improved grab. So getting that could be good.

I'm not extremely familiar with TOB and not sure if I want to delve into it for an animal companion - but it might be an interesting option.

Runeclaw
2010-06-14, 08:07 PM
Ok, I figured out that "It's Hot Outside" must be a nickname for Sandscape. :smallsmile:

Does Improved Unarmed Combat do anything for a creature using natural weapons? Or is there a way to avoid having to take it to qualify for Improved Grapple, etc?

Runeclaw
2010-06-14, 08:38 PM
So when using Martial Study / Martial Stance to grab a manuever and a stance, am I limited but my effective initiator level? Or do I only have to meet the prereqs on the "PREREQUISITE" lines?

Keld Denar
2010-06-14, 11:48 PM
Yea, its kinda dumb that monsters need IUAS in order to qualify for Improved Grapple. Might see if you can get it waived, or at least have your DM make up a monstrous feat that gives the creature Improved Grab like a bear or such.

As far as ToB feats, you need to satisfy the prereqs, including the IL, yes. So, in order to take say....Mountain Hammer, you would need an IL of 3, or 6 HD. In order to take Crushing Weight of the Mountain, you'd need an IL of 5, or 10 HD, and 1 Stone Dragon Maneuver known, which you qualify for by virtue of knowing Mountain Hammer from Martial Study.

And yup, you picked it out.

Its Cold Outside - Frostburn
Its Wet Outside - Stormwrack
Its Hot Outside - Sandstorm
Its Not Outside I - Cityscape
Its Not Outside II - Dungeonscape

Or something like that.

Optimystik
2010-06-15, 12:16 AM
When I first saw "Giant Frog Companion" I thought the thread was about these guys. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20040613a&page=2)

And yup, you picked it out.

Its Cold Outside - Frostburn
Its Wet Outside - Stormwrack
Its Hot Outside - Sandstorm

Or something like that.

I never got the naming convention for Cityscape. You can be outside in a City...

hewhosaysfish
2010-06-15, 07:32 AM

Or something like that.

I've head it suggested that "It's Inside Outside" could be appropriate for one of the latter two. And by "appropriate" I of course mean "silly".

Serpentine
2010-06-15, 07:36 AM
Heh. There was a Druid with a giant frog companion in the Organised Play Pathfinder game I was in for a bit. The most competent of the lot it was...

Optimystik
2010-06-15, 07:56 AM
When I first saw "Giant Frog Companion" I thought the thread was about these guys. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20040613a&page=2)

Forgot the link >_<

Cyclocone
2010-06-15, 08:15 AM
I never got the naming convention for Cityscape. You can be outside in a City...

Cityscape is usually It's Crowded Outside.

Dungeonscape is also occasionally called It's Inside Outside.