PDA

View Full Version : Steampunk RPG?

Froogleyboy
2010-06-14, 08:49 PM
Hey guys, just wondering if there are any steampunk themed pen and paper RPGs?

arguskos
2010-06-14, 08:50 PM
My friend and his brother invented one: SteamGears(tm). In the grim darkness of SteamGears, there is only Steam and Gears! Everything is either steam or gears.

It's totally a joke, but we find it deeply amusing.

erikun
2010-06-14, 09:06 PM
Victoriana is kind of steampunk, or at least magepunk, with an emphasis on exploration or dealing with social norms. There is also Iron Kingdoms, which is mostly D&D with a focus on guns and machinecraft.

What exactly are you looking for with Steampunk? Is it more the sense of exploration, the sense of psudo-Victorian society, or just the astetics that you are looking for?

Darrin
2010-06-14, 09:10 PM
Off the top of my head...

Space: 1889
Castle Falkenstein
Deadlands
Steampunk Musha (Iron Kingdoms)
Dragonmech

Doc Roc
2010-06-14, 09:11 PM
Deadlands Reloaded is my go-to stop for steampunk weird fiction with fun rules.

Thurbane
2010-06-14, 09:24 PM
d20 Past (d20 Modern supplement) might be good as a base.

The Rose Dragon
2010-06-14, 09:25 PM
Ahem. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147102&highlight=steampunk) .

Another_Poet
2010-06-14, 11:26 PM
The best in my opinion. (http://privateerpress.com/iron-kingdoms) Books are out of print but the company still sells pdfs.

Doc Roc
2010-06-14, 11:47 PM
The best in my opinion. (http://privateerpress.com/iron-kingdoms) Books are out of print but the company still sells pdfs.

Via Paizo, specifically. I think it's the best, hands-down, for fluff, but you may have a couple problems with the gun rules. Tweaks are easy and readily available, though. I've run some, but the games had issues. I really can recommend it though, even though I have more practical game experience with Deadlands.

Amel
2010-06-15, 12:06 AM
This may strike some people as a bit odd, but I'm currently running (on and off) a Supers game based in a Steampunk world using the GURPS system. It's a lot of math, especially because of the super-powers, but it's great fun. And I really think that GURPS lends itself to both Supers and Steampunk style games because of it's shear versatility. I don't recommend it for fantasy gaming though. Yuck.

nyjastul69
2010-06-15, 12:28 AM
Forbidden Kingdoms a d20 pulp system is one that's suitable. http://www.otherworlds.cx/fk2.asp. It's not very expensive on Amazon.

Townopolis
2010-06-15, 04:10 AM
I would just like to point out that Iron Kingdoms is not "steampunk" it is "full metal fantasy." Is that stupid? Yes, it is. Privateer Press themselves tried to coin the term "full metal fantasy" when they made IK. why they did it, I don't know. My personal opinion is that they wanted to make IK seem super-special and groundbreaking when, really, it's steampunk. Depending on who you ask, it may or may not be well-done steampunk.

Fax Celestis
2010-06-15, 09:35 AM
Victorian-era steampunk (with a dash of fey and world domination): Etherscope.

HunterOfJello
2010-06-15, 11:49 AM
I consider the Eberron setting to be easily convertible to a Steampunk-esque RPG. If you allow the widespread use of magical items and magic, but replace Eberron's social setting with a Victorian era setting, then you can easily pull it off. (Steampunk settings replace digital technology with analog technology where Eberron replaced digital technology with magical technology that has a Steampunk feel to it.)

If you're fond of only humans then use the alternative ideas from the DMG2 to turn the non-human races into human archetypes. If you want guns, then try out some of the rules for dnd guns. (I would just create guns that function the same way as bows that count as Martial Weapons and have slower versions that take longer to reload like a crossbow as Simple Weapons.)

I think the conversion could be done fairly easily with plenty of room for steampunk fun.

Deth Muncher
2010-06-15, 12:12 PM
As I mentioned in the last thread, which has been linked here, Dragonmech. No seriously. It's made by Goodman Games, I'm pretty sure you can buy the PDFs. Do it nao. It's even built for 3.X.

Zeta Kai
2010-06-15, 01:01 PM
The Vote-Up-A-Campaign-Setting project was this close to being a steampunk/Victorian-fantasy setting, but a few last-minute vote changes swung the whole thing over to Arabian-fantasy. I had actually prepared some outline material for the SP stuff (like notes for occultism, a clockwork-based class, & steam rules), just so that our later votes would be better prepared.

Alas, what might have been...