PDA

View Full Version : Shadowedsoul vs.Jallorn

shadowedsoul
2010-06-14, 09:49 PM
Spherical Arena, 250 ft. Diameter. In the center there's a cube with 40 ft. sides.

Since we both have greater teleport at will and can fly I figured this'd be good, got a little cover but since difficult terrain and stuff doesn't matter.

shadowedsoul
2010-06-14, 09:53 PM
Initiative check-[roll0]

Jallorn
2010-06-14, 10:05 PM
Init
[roll0]

Impressive Init modifier.

How do you feel about me starting with certain all day invocations activated?

shadowedsoul
2010-06-14, 10:07 PM
Indeed, Applying my two highest stats+Improved Initiative will do that.

Anything with a 24 hour duration is fine by me, it's not much of a test if you don't get to utilize your class features.

Jallorn
2010-06-14, 10:10 PM
Alright, gimme a minute to figure out everything that applies.

Beguiling Influence, Devil's Sight, Entropic Warding, Fell Flight, Voidsense

shadowedsoul
2010-06-14, 10:15 PM
'Kay, I should probably work up a stat block myself.

Jallorn
2010-06-14, 10:21 PM
Spoilers shouldn't be peeked at until the conclusion of the match. (duh)

I've placed my active invocations in my previous post.

shadowedsoul
2010-06-14, 10:34 PM
Fair enough.

How far apart do you want to start? Against the wall, on opposite ends of the cube, some other thing?

Jallorn
2010-06-14, 10:39 PM
on opposite sides of the arena.

shadowedsoul
2010-06-14, 10:52 PM
Stat Block-

Sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=215141)

HP: 199/199 AC: 51 T: 35 FF: 51 DR: 10/Silver and Epic SR: 31 Fort: 19 Ref: 42 Will: 21 Initiative: +24 Speed: 30’ / Fly 90’ Perfect

Abilities: See in Darkness, Phantom Visage, Trap Sense +2, Uncanny Dodge, Improved Uncanny Dodge, Evasion, Deathly Precision, Crippling Strike, Insightful Reaction, Hide in Plain Sight, Shadow Pounce, Endure Elements, Freedom of Movement, True Seeing, Darkstalker

Immunities/Resistances: Critical Hits, Divination Effects, Mind Shielding, Resistance to Acid 15, Cold 20, Electricity 20, Fire 20, Sonic 15, Does not eat, sleep or breathe

Mirrorshard Blade: Keen, Merciful, Ghost Touch, Blinding Light, Mirror, Reflections, Reflective Offense
Full Attack: +38/+38/+33/+33/+28/+28/+23/+23
Damage: 1d8+25+1 Con (+14d8+21+1 Str, +1 Dex Sneak Attack)

Okay, for the starting positions I've come across a conundrum. Obviously I know where your character is, but unless the characters know that there's a level 21 opponent on the opposite end then Varyshka won't. How do you want to handle this?

Jallorn
2010-06-14, 10:53 PM
It's a friendly competition between... allies in an illusory world. You know I started on the opposite side of the battlefield. I am invisible though, so... :smallbiggrin:

shadowedsoul
2010-06-14, 10:55 PM
Doesn't matter, I have permanent true sight.

All right, shall we begin then? (if so then I'll go ahead and post her first round actions).

Jallorn
2010-06-14, 10:58 PM
Yeah sure. Why am I suddenly filled with dread?

shadowedsoul
2010-06-14, 11:17 PM
Varyshka

Varyshka grins as two wicked looking glass knives appear in her hands before disappearing and reappearing next to the Korik, launching a flurry of strikes against the warlock.

Go ahead and read this spoiler, it's just my actions for the round-

Free action-Summon Mirrorshard Blades.
Standard Action-Greater Teleport next to Korik, use Shadow Pounce.
I'm pretty sure you have uncanny dodge, so I'm leaving all the sneak attack stuff out.

Main Hand:
Attack 1-[roll0]
Damage 1-[roll1]+1 Con
Attack 2-[roll2]
Damage 2-[roll3]+1 Con
Attack 3-[roll4]
Damage 3-[roll5]+1 Con
Attack 4-[roll6]
Damage 4-[roll7]+1 Con

Off Hand:
Attack 1-[roll8]
Damage 1-[roll9]+1 Con
Attack 2-[roll10]
Damage 2-[roll11]+1 Con
Attack 3-[roll12]
Damage 3-[roll13]+1 Con
Attack 4-[roll14]
Damage 4-[roll15]+1 Con

Crit Confirmation rolls (If necessary):
Main Hand:
Attack 1-[roll16]
Damage 1-[roll17]+1 Con
Attack 2-[roll18]
Damage 2-[roll19]+1 Con
Attack 3-[roll20]
Damage 3-[roll21]+1 Con
Attack 4-[roll22]
Damage 4-[roll23]+1 Con

Off Hand:
Attack 1-[roll24]
Damage 1-[roll25]+1 Con
Attack 2-[roll26]
Damage 2-[roll27]+1 Con
Attack 3-[roll28]
Damage 3-[roll29]+1 Con
Attack 4-[roll30]
Damage 4-[roll31]+1 Con

Alright, 5 attacks hit and no crits, so you take 132 damage+5 Con Damage.

Jallorn
2010-06-14, 11:19 PM
Yup, I thought so, you did enough damage to kill me. Let alone the Con drain.:smallsigh:

shadowedsoul
2010-06-14, 11:20 PM
Oh ****, and I thought I had a low HP total.

Jallorn
2010-06-14, 11:26 PM
You were 1 over my hp total. I'm at -1, but that's as good as dead.

Ah well, I shouldn't end up in too much combat where the enemy knows where I am, so what just happened shouldn't come up much.

shadowedsoul
2010-06-14, 11:29 PM
Well, you're lower than that from the Con damage, but yeah.

Indeed, we probably won't be fighting too many Shadow Pouncers anyway, so even if they find you the chances of them getting off 8 attacks are pretty slim.

Jallorn
2010-06-14, 11:35 PM
I got to go to bed anyway. But let's see what I could do to you if I had the chance.

Touch Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]+[roll2]
Double Utterdark Blast (2 Fort saves, DC 39, -2 levels if failed)
Touch Attack: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4]+[roll5]
Double Utterdark Blast
Touch Attack: [roll6]
Damage: [roll7]+[roll8]
Hellrime Blast and Brimstone Blast (Half damage cold, half damage fire, DC 39 Fort save or -2 Dex, DC 39 Ref save or catch fire)
Touch Attack: [roll9]
Damage: [roll10]+[roll11]
Vitriolic Blast (Bypasss Sr, all damage acid, iterative damage)

Obviously all those effects apply only if the blast hit.

Heck, why don't I apply Eldritch Doom to all of them so that if they miss, you have to make a Ref save DC 39 or be hit anyway.

Looks like just the first one hit, but let's see if you can make the saves.

Fort saves obviously, no point in even considering the Ref saves.

shadowedsoul
2010-06-14, 11:39 PM
The sneak attack doesn't apply either way, I have immunity to crits and uncanny dodge.

Eldritch Doom would actually lower your chance of hitting me since I have a god like reflex save and evasion.

Those negative levels would be pretty brutal though, my fort save isn't high enough to succeed without some awesome rolls, I do have SR though, so all but the vitriolic blast would need to contend with that.

Edit: oh right, I also have 2 mirror images, so you've gotta roll a miss chance from that as well.

Jallorn
2010-06-14, 11:41 PM
Yeah, for some reason I was thinking along the lines of:if it hits it hits, but if not then the blast could, when there is no attack roll with a blast. So drop that.

Caster level check I guess: [roll0]

I have this:

You can see through illusions, magical darkness, shapechangers, and other effects (as true seeing). This is a supernatural ability.

You are automatically aware of all spells or magical effects you see. Simply by looking at a creature, you can determine if it is a divine or arcane caster, whether it has any spell-like abilities, and the highest spell or spell-like abilities it knows. This is a supernatural ability.

shadowedsoul
2010-06-14, 11:42 PM
Caster level fail.

But Fort save, just to see what would have happened-[roll0].

Yeah, but I have this-

Mask Existence: The Master Assassin is now immune to divination effects. He cannot be scryed, detected, or affected by any other divination related effect. He may suppress or resume this ability as a free action.

Jallorn
2010-06-16, 05:27 PM
It's not a divination effect. It's like Greater Arcane Sight I believe.

shadowedsoul
2010-06-16, 11:43 PM
True Seeing and Greater Arcane Sight are both divination effects.

Jallorn
2010-06-16, 11:52 PM
Ok, how can I get that ability?

Oh, I also have Blindsight.

But yeah, how can I get that?

shadowedsoul
2010-06-16, 11:55 PM
blindsight is negated by darkstalker (but could be overcome with a spot check).

anyway, to become immune to divinations you need to take 5 levels of Master Assassin (http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Master_Assassin_(3.5e_Prestige_Class))

Although if you have Mind Blank (which I think you do) you'll be immune to pretty much everything except for true seeing anyway.

Jallorn
2010-06-17, 12:04 AM
Eh, not worth rebuilding my character. I'll just have to accept being visible to True Sight.

Mind you I think I could keep the important stuff I currently have and still add the class, I just don't feel like it.

Also, I think in my case, I would still detect the magic, even if I couldn't detect you. I dunno for sure though.

shadowedsoul
2010-06-17, 12:07 AM
Except for the immunity to divinations it's a pretty mediocre class. Not especially weak, but adding numbers more than options.

Granted, it's only 5 levels, so that's not as bad as a number heavy 10 level class or base class.

Edit: You wouldn't be able to detect any magic on me, although you'd probably be able to tell which images weren't real with the mirror image effect.

Jallorn
2010-06-17, 12:11 AM
Actually, I think it is worth it, and am now going to redetermine my classes.

Ugh, this is gonna be a lot of work. Oh well, at least I don't have to do anything with my feats or invocations.

shadowedsoul
2010-06-17, 12:16 AM
Honestly you might want to just start taking levels in it next level, your current build is pretty solid and outside of the party (with like 3 or 4 VoP applicants) True Seeing is relatively rare.

Jallorn
2010-06-17, 12:21 AM
All I'm losing is some skill points from rogue. It also frees up some of my gold, so I think it's worth it.

shadowedsoul
2010-06-17, 12:26 AM
You might want mind blank anyway since it protects from mand affecting effects too, being immune to two separate schools of magic (well, 3 usually since you have true seeing as well) isn't anything to sneer at.

Jallorn
2010-06-17, 12:39 AM
Stealthy Extraordinaire: The Master Assassin gain one half his level on a bonus to Move Silently and Hide skill check.

Is that Class Level or Character Level?

shadowedsoul
2010-06-17, 12:40 AM
Character level. If it was class level it'd be worthless.

shadowedsoul
2010-06-17, 01:19 AM
How is the Save DC for your eldritch blast so high? Looking at it it looks like 17+spell level equivalent for a maximum of DC 26. Where's the extra 13 points coming from?

You don't qualify for Epic Constitution, you need to have an 18 in the ability before you apply the bonus from Epic Hero to choose that ability.

It also looks like you don't qualify for Epic Magic, 6 levels of warlock won't net you 5th level equivalent invocations, you'd need to be warlock 11 for that (although Warlock 6+Master Assassin 5 with the Magical Assassin Style would qualify you). Eldritch Blast doesn't increase with that though, just invocation access, so you're currently looking at an Eldritch Blast of only 3d6, although you'd have an invoker level of 21 with epic magic and be able to choose invocations accordingly.

Edit: Spellwarp sniper will qualify you for epic magic, your eldritch blast still doesn't increase with that though.

Edit 2: Scratch that, you don't qualify for spellwarp sniper as you don't actually cast spells, invocations don't count as spells for prerequisites like that.

Jallorn
2010-06-17, 01:25 AM
How is the Save DC for your eldritch blast so high? Looking at it it looks like 17+spell level equivalent for a maximum of DC 26. Where's the extra 13 points coming from?

You don't qualify for Epic Constitution, you need to have an 18 in the ability before you apply the bonus from Epic Hero to choose that ability.

It also looks like you don't qualify for Epic Magic, 6 levels of warlock won't net you 5th level equivalent invocations, you'd need to be warlock 11 for that (although Warlock 6+Master Assassin 5 with the Magical Assassin Style would qualify you). Eldritch Blast doesn't increase with that though, just invocation access, so you're currently looking at an Eldritch Blast of only 3d6, although you'd have an invoker level of 21 with epic magic and be able to choose invocations accordingly.

Edit: Spellwarp sniper will qualify you for epic magic, your eldritch blast still doesn't increase with that though.

Eldritch Blast does increase with caster level. I may have done the math wrong with my DC, but I do get +2 from one of my feats, so I guess it's just a typo (hitting 3 instead of 2). As for Epic Constitution, I guess I'll look into increasing that somehow.

shadowedsoul
2010-06-17, 01:31 AM
Eldritch Blast increases with Warlock level, not caster level.

You also seem to have replied before my last edit, you don't qualify for spellwarp sniper since you don't actually cast spells.

Jallorn
2010-06-17, 01:35 AM
Eldritch Blast increases with Warlock level, not caster level.

You also seem to have replied before my last edit, you don't qualify for spellwarp sniper since you don't actually cast spells.

The general consensus is that Eldritch Blast does increase with caster level. Also, Warlock Invocations have spell level equivalences, and can take classes with spell level requirements.

I can't copy and paste, so check page 18 of Complete Arcane.

shadowedsoul
2010-06-17, 01:44 AM
I have checked pg. 18 of complete arcane, while it appears you're correct about the Eldritch Blast Caster level thing (which doesn't make any sense as eldritch blast is a class feature and not a spell, but whatever) it also says, and I quote-

A warlock cannot qualify for prestige classes with spellcasting level requirements, as he never actually learns to cast spells.

Jallorn
2010-06-17, 01:46 AM
sonofa-

I'll ask the DM if he's okay with a houserule that allows me to take the class anyway since that's really stupid. The class is practically built for the Warlock anyway.

shadowedsoul
2010-06-17, 01:48 AM
While a houserule wouldn't be unreasonable the class isn't built for warlocks, the 1st level ability is totally useless for warlocks since they don't cast spells.

Jallorn
2010-06-17, 01:50 AM
I didn't mean literally designed to used by warlocks, I just mean it's advantages combine very well with a warlock.

shadowedsoul
2010-06-17, 01:52 AM
Ah, well yeah. Ray boosting is a plus for Warlocks.

Oh, and sorry if I'm sounding like an *******, I wasn't trying to pick apart your character or anything, just checking it out after the addition of the Master Assassin and noticed a few things.

Jallorn
2010-06-17, 01:54 AM
Eh, it's cool. Better to notice now than to be disqualified for it later.

Jallorn
2010-06-17, 06:45 PM
Here's the feat I was talking about earlier:

Paragon Visionary [Epic]

Your powers of perception are beyond mortal ken.

Prerequisites: Spellcraft 24 ranks, dark foresight, devil's sight, see the unseen, voidsense.

Benefit: You can see through illusions, magical darkness, shapechangers, and other effects (as true seeing). This is a supernatural ability.

You are automatically aware of all spells or magical effects you see. Simply by looking at a creature, you can determine if it is a divine or arcane caster, whether it has any spell-like abilities, and the highest spell or spell-like abilities it knows. This is a supernatural ability.

When you use the voidsense invocation, you gain blindsight 60 feet.

You receive a bonus on all Listen, Sense Motive, and Spot checks equal to double your Wisdom modifier or +6, whichever is greater. This is an extraordinary ability.

Normal: The voidsense invocation grants blindsense 30 feet.

It's not divination, but a SU ability. Still, I think I'd have to be able to see you, so yeah, spot check with blindsight.

shadowedsoul
2010-06-17, 07:20 PM
I know what you were talking about earlier, the true seeing thing is a divination effect (that's why it say "as true seeing").

It's not a spell, but it is a divination effect.

Jallorn
2010-06-17, 07:27 PM
I was actually referring to the second paragraph. That isn't divination.

shadowedsoul
2010-06-17, 07:35 PM
If I were the DM I'd declare that a divination effect, it's a supernatural ability giving you can;t get without magic. If any NPCs have the Master Assassin class we might need to get a ruling on the DM for this game on that one.

However, even if that's not the case, You don't see an invisibility spell without a spot check, so unless you pass that you wouldn't be able to see through my invisibility. You'd be able to tell the mirror images are false though, 'tis true.

Jallorn
2010-06-17, 07:38 PM
Well let me just take this opportunity to say that I am glad I'm (probably) your ally.:smallbiggrin:

shadowedsoul
2010-06-17, 07:42 PM
Hey, that goes both ways, my true seeing won't see through your invisibility anymore either.

Jallorn
2010-06-17, 09:35 PM
Just read up on Darkstalker, and I'm fairly certain that I'd automatically see you since you were attacking, and not actively hiding.

shadowedsoul
2010-06-17, 10:00 PM
With invisibility it's stil a DC 40 spot check to find out which square I'm in. It's kind of an auto-hide.

But really hiding while attacking is only a -20 to the hide check, basically negating the invisibility bonus, but my hide check is pretty impressive without that.

Edit: You're right, I didn't roll a hide check so you'd automatically see me. I'll need to keep aware of that in the future and make sure I'm hiding while attacking to prevent that.