PDA

View Full Version : Mud and Rock and Gems--oh my! [3.5 Equipment and Enchantments]

Temotei
2010-06-15, 02:45 AM
Wondrous Items

Feather Tokens

Mud
A token creating a 10x10-foot puddle of mud six inches deep. This is an instantaneous effect.

Stone
A token that causes a huge boulder to appear (literally takes up a "huge" space). This is an instantaneous effect.

Vine
A token sprouting vines in all directions. These vines create difficult terrain, good climbing material, or perhaps fire material. This is an instantaneous effect.

Weed
A token causing weeds to grow all around it. This is an instantaneous effect.

Moderate conjuration; CL 12th; Craft Wondrous Item, major creation; Price 100 gp (mud), 350 gp (stone), 150 gp (vine), 50 gp (weed).

Minor Artifacts

Gaia Smasher

Gaia Smasher looks like a lump of rock with a hole for a hand to fit in. However, it is far more. On the inside, holes for appendages shrink and grow to the size of the creature wielding the weapon, allowing most creatures to use it--even if it seems too big or too small. Any creature of Tiny, Small, Medium, Large, or Huge size can use Gaia Smasher with no penalty. When a creature's mitt is inside Gaia Smasher, the outside morphs to fit the creature's size better, and also shows their moving appendages.

This +2 gaia gauntlet grants a +6 enhancement bonus to Strength and +1d8 damage on hits with it. Monks are treated as proficient with this gauntlet and use their unarmed damage progression for Gaia Smasher. As well, for all intents and purposes, Gaia Smasher is treated as a one-handed weapon, but it is still easily usable in a grapple.

Successfully hitting while wielding Gaia Smasher creates a 10x10x10-foot crater. If the wielder uses Power Attack, the crater size improves to 15x15x15 feet. Any creature in a crater suffers a -2 penalty to AC on top of being flat-footed.

A successful critical hit sends a massively powerful shockwave through the ground, knocking enemies within 30 feet who fail a DC 25 Reflex save prone and dealing 5d10 damage to those enemies.

Finally, against any creatures with the Earth subtype, Gaia Smasher ignores all damage reduction and deals an additional 2d6 damage. As well, successfully hitting creatures with the Earth subtype with Gaia Smasher lowers their AC by 1 per hit.

Strong conjuration, evocation, and transmutation; CL 20th; Weight 1/2 lb. (Tiny); 1 lb. (Small); 1 1/2 lb. (Medium); 3 lb. (Large); 6 lb. (Huge).

Weapon Enchantments

Gaia
A gaia weapon uses the power of earth and the ground to fuel attacks. On a successful attack, if the wielder of a gaia weapon is touching the ground, they create a 5x5x5-foot crater in the target's square. Using Power Attack on an attack increases the crater size to 10x10x10 feet. Craters are treated as difficult terrain, and any creatures in the craters are flat-footed. For reasons unknown, wielders of gaia weapons are immune to the craters' effects. Craters formed are permanent indents in the earth. As well, gaia weapons are heavy. Add half of their original weight again for their total weight. For example, a gaia longsword would weigh 6 lb., since the original longsword weight was 4 lb.

Strong transmutation; CL 11th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, stone shape; Price +3 bonus.

Gemset
A gemset weapon is versatile, able to store many elements and powers in its depth. When the wielder of a gemset weapon is successfully hit by a spell, the wielder may choose to absorb the spell's energy into their gemset weapon, effectively ignoring the effects of the spell. Doing this has different effects based on the type of energy the spell used. Only two types of energy may be absorbed at a time. If one type of energy is already absorbed, that type may not be absorbed again until it is released with a swift action. The wielder of a gemset weapon may absorb one spell per round.

Fire
A gemset weapon that absorbs a spell with fire energy deals +1d4 fire damage on attacks. If the wielder of the weapon decides to release the fire energy, the gemset weapon sends a fiery burst forward in a 60-foot line, piercing through all enemies until the maximum range is reached, dealing 5d6 fire damage to all enemies hit. A successful DC 14 + wielder's Dex modifier Reflex save halves this damage.

Cold
A gemset weapon that absorbs a spell with cold energy deals +1d4 cold damage on attacks. If the wielder of the weapon decides to release the cold energy, the gemset weapon sends an icy wave forward in a 20-foot cone, dealing 2d6 cold damage and slowing all enemies in range, as the spell, with a DC 14 + wielder's Dex modifier Will save negating the slow effect.

Acid
A gemset weapon that absorbs a spell with acid energy deals +1d4 acid damage on attacks. If the wielder of the weapon decides to release the acid energy, the gemset weapon sprays acid in a 20-foot cone, dealing 3d6 acid damage and reducing the AC of every enemy within range by 3. A DC 14 + wielder's Dex modifier Reflex save halves the acid damage.

Electricity
A gemset weapon that absorbs a spell with electricity energy deals +1d4 electricity damage on attacks. If the wielder of the weapon decides to release the electricity energy, the gemset weapon sends a destructive lightning bolt down from the sky at one target within 120 feet, dealing 10d6 electricity damage. A successful DC 14 + wielder's Dex modifier Reflex save halves this damage.

Sonic
A gemset weapon that absorbs a spell with sonic energy deals +1d4 sonic damage on attacks. If the wielder of the weapon decides to release the sonic energy, the gemset weapon explodes in a sonic boom, dealing 3d6 sonic damage and deafening every creature within 15 feet of the wielder of the gemset weapon. A successful DC 14 + wielder's Dex modifier Fortitude save negates deafness.

Positive
A gemset weapon that absorbs a spell with positive energy deals +1d6 damage on attacks to evil creatures. If the wielder of the weapon decides to release the holy energy, the gemset weapon shines like the sun, dealing 2d6 damage to evil creatures and blinding every creature within 15 feet of the wielder of the gemset weapon. A successful DC 14 + wielder's Dex modifier Fortitude save negates blindness. Evil creatures do not get a Fortitude saving throw.

Negative
A gemset weapon that absorbs a spell with negative energy deals +1d6 damage on attacks to good creatures. If the wielder of the weapon decides to release the unholy energy, the gemset weapon sends unnatural darkness everywhere, dealing 4d6 damage to good creatures and causing deeper darkness to appear everywhere within 20 feet of the wielder of the gemset weapon. A successful DC 14 + wielder's Dex modifier Will save halves the burst damage. Good creatures do not get a Will saving throw.

Strong (all schools); CL 12th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, globe of invulnerability; Price +4 bonus.

Armor Enchantments

Root
Root armor grants fast healing based on the number of rounds the wearer stays in the same spot for the duration of the rooting. In addition, being "rooted" grants a +4 bonus against bull rush and trip attempts. Consuming an amount of water equal to the amount a waterskin can hold while "rooted" increases the fast healing by 2 instantly and grants a +1 bonus to natural armor. Treat creatures without natural armor as having a value equal to 0.

Number of Rounds
Fast Healing

1-2

3-4

5-7

8-10

11+

Moderate abjuration and transmutation; CL 8th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, wood shape; Price +2 bonus.

Debihuman
2010-06-16, 05:42 AM
I like your new feather tokens. How deep is the mud puddle? I'd guess at no more than 6 inches but it's your call.

Debby

peacenlove
2010-06-16, 06:47 AM
Fine work as always :smallsmile:

3 comments: Gaia weapons should be +3 because causing many targets to be flatfooted (No dexterity to AC, free sneak attacks) and halving their ground speed is a little strong for a +2 weapon.

Major artifacts should serve a purpose and be linked to particular lore. Yours feels like a major magic item. Maybe it is the favored weapon of earth elemental princes (i don't remember their names now) and whoever isn't a lord turns slowly into an earth elemental subjective to the whims of the prince?

In the Negative gemset ability there is no spell called greater darkness. Maybe you meant deeper darkness? Also releasing the power as a free action is a little strong and is close to immunity to 2 elements. I suggest making it a swift action to release a stored power. Also what is holy and unholy damage? Who does it affect and why is it keyed to the positive and negative energy which isn't inherently holy or unholy? Perhaps you meant positive and negative energy respectively?

DracoDei
2010-06-16, 09:05 AM
You realize that a Gem-set weapon lets you charge up on 0th level effects (Ray of Frost and Glob of Acid) to release 2nd-3rd level type effects, right? That plus 1/round immunity to two elements... hmmm +4 MIGHT be enough but my gut says otherwise... my gut is not reliable in these cases however, since I have much more experience with critters than with magic items.

However, I must now also at least cross-link one of my own creations:
Mole Enchantment (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2913403&postcount=46)
It should PERHAPS be a set cost, rather than a +1...

Temotei
2010-06-16, 11:26 AM
I like your new feather tokens. How deep is the mud puddle? I'd guess at no more than 6 inches but it's your call.

Debby

Ooh, good point. I barely thought about deepness. We'll go with six inches.

The feather tokens were fun to make. :smallbiggrin:

I like the idea of allowing a player to have the stone feather token and use a fan feather token to roll it into a bunch of enemies or into a wall. Either way, something is bursting. :smallcool:

Fine work as always :smallsmile:

3 comments: Gaia weapons should be +3 because causing many targets to be flatfooted (No dexterity to AC, free sneak attacks) and halving their ground speed is a little strong for a +2 weapon.

Makes sense.

Major artifacts should serve a purpose and be linked to particular lore. Yours feels like a major magic item. Maybe it is the favored weapon of earth elemental princes (i don't remember their names now) and whoever isn't a lord turns slowly into an earth elemental subjective to the whims of the prince?

I have no idea what princes you're talking about, but you're right; major artifacts should have specific lore. I'll make it a minor artifact, since I don't have any clue about what you're talking about...unless you feel like linking something.

In the Negative gemset ability there is no spell called greater darkness. Maybe you meant deeper darkness? Also releasing the power as a free action is a little strong and is close to immunity to 2 elements. I suggest making it a swift action to release a stored power. Also what is holy and unholy damage? Who does it affect and why is it keyed to the positive and negative energy which isn't inherently holy or unholy? Perhaps you meant positive and negative energy respectively?

That first one is a typo. I did indeed mean deeper darkness. I'll take your suggestion for making it a swift action.

Huh. I could have sworn there was holy and unholy damage. I must be going crazy.

You realize that a Gem-set weapon lets you charge up on 0th level effects (Ray of Frost and Glob of Acid) to release 2nd-3rd level type effects, right? That plus 1/round immunity to two elements... hmmm +4 MIGHT be enough but my gut says otherwise... my gut is not reliable in these cases however, since I have much more experience with critters than with magic items.

I'll change it to say you can only absorb one spell per round. I was toying around with the idea that you would get hit by the spell and the magic would seep into your weapon from your body, too. All in favor of that idea...say "Aye."

However, I must now also at least cross-link one of my own creations:
Mole Enchantment (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2913403&postcount=46)
It should PERHAPS be a set cost, rather than a +1...

I like those. Coolness. :smallsmile:

EDIT: Changes have been made. Gemset weapons are considerably weaker now, with saving throws on each effect, swift action releases, and 1/round absorptions.

That said, it's probably not too bad a thing, though I've always disliked having set saving throw DCs.

jiriku
2010-06-16, 01:25 PM
There are sacred and profane bonus types, but holy/unholy attacks typically deal "divine" damage. I'd encourage you not to create weapons that absorb divine damage, because a key feature of divine damage is that it can't easily be resisted. Creating one more method of avoiding divine damage dilutes the primary reason for having divine damage exist at all.

Temotei
2010-06-16, 01:32 PM
There are sacred and profane bonus types, but holy/unholy attacks typically deal "divine" damage. I'd encourage you not to create weapons that absorb divine damage, because a key feature of divine damage is that it can't easily be resisted. Creating one more method of avoiding divine damage dilutes the primary reason for having divine damage exist at all.

I should just delete the positive/negative energy part of gemset weapons then? It's not like the damage is easy to resist. It still costs a +4 enhancement.

DracoDei
2010-06-16, 01:54 PM
That said, it's probably not too bad a thing, though I've always disliked having set saving throw DCs.
You could very reasonably make it 14+wielders Dex Modifier I think... that would introduce a LITTLE scaling. The rational can be that you can aim/shape/guide the discharge better. I used that sort of forumula for my Arc Vest/Armor/Shield Enchantment (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116902). If you wanted to take that same logic to an extreme you could make it 10+(1/2 BAB)+Dex Mod... I used something... VAGUELY similar to that for my flickering (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62566) weapon enchantment, and nobody objected.

Also, what with losing the +1d4 damage and a few other factors, you can probably consider my concerns about Acid Glob and Ray of Frost handled.

Temotei
2010-06-16, 01:58 PM
You could very reasonably make it 14+wielders Dex Modifier I think... that would introduce a LITTLE scaling. The rational can be that you can aim/shape/guide the discharge better. If you wanted to take that same logic to an extreme you could make it 10+(1/2 BAB)+Dex Mod... I used something... VAGUELY similar to that for my flickering weapons (see my extended signature), and nobody objected.

That's not a bad idea. Consider it changed. :smallsmile:

Also, what with losing the +1d4 damage and a few other factors, you can probably consider my concerns about Acid Glob and Ray of Frost handled.

Sweet. :smallcool:

arguskos
2010-06-16, 02:21 PM
:smallsigh:

I need to finish my materials brew sometime, and this just reminds me of it. Also, looks good, in general. I'll keep watching it.

Temotei
2010-06-16, 10:23 PM
:smallsigh:

I need to finish my materials brew sometime, and this just reminds me of it. Also, looks good, in general. I'll keep watching it.

Coolness. Approval.

Where's your avatar, by the way?

arguskos
2010-06-21, 01:26 PM
Coolness. Approval.

Where's your avatar, by the way?
Been waiting on a new one. Think Vaynor forgot. Might switch into Graz'zatar instead of waiting more.

Still need to finish my material brew sometime. Just SO MUCH WORK. :smalleek::smallsigh: