PDA

View Full Version : End of campaign

Superglucose
2010-06-15, 04:42 AM
Well the campaign ended today. We were in a fight and the last of the original characters died to a lion's pounce. You know, stuff happens. Whatever.

The responses from the other characters were awesome. I decided to take off the kid gloves since the game was ending, and used Polymorph to turn myself and my little rat pet into... well... 7 headed pyro hydras. First, Squeaks (the rat) finished off 2 of the lions with a series of seven breaths (the GM agreed with my findings that it was an attack, since it wasn't listed as a breath weapon, an ex, su, or sa ability). Then the bard decided to try and backstab me. Well, I have a ridiculously high fort save (see: rat familiar and hydra form), and so we both passed the stun DC. And then ate him. And then returned and ate the remaining lions, one of whom was sitting in my earlier-cast black tentacles.

For the next campaign I've already hinted to this player (who's now attacked me with each of his characters while for all but the last one I just passively did nothing) and the group at large that my next character is not going to be a nice guy. He is apparently playing a rogue/wizard combo (going for arcane trickster) while I'm playing a summon-focused druid.

weenie
2010-06-15, 06:07 AM
In-party conflicts can be fun, but be careful not to let it get out of control if you like gaming with your group, sometimes IC conflicts can result in OOC conflicts. If you think everybody at the table can be mature about it, then it could lead to some very fun RP opportunities. Also, evil druids rock. Make her a chick and show him that you could easily kick his ass for bonus points :smallwink:

Gnaritas
2010-06-15, 09:51 AM
I am confused, what happened, why did it happen? Who is the bard, why are you breaking the game? Who is the DM? Why am i posting this?

golem1972
2010-06-15, 11:28 AM
I too am having a little trouble getting it.

Why did the campaign end? You seemed to have handled the encounter rather handily. Was there something special about the original characters that prevented the story from progressing without them? This, to me, is a sign of a bad campaign design.

You mention that the bard's player has attacked you with every character while you were passively doing nothing. Was he trying to provoke your character to do something / anything rather than just sit there, or is he a jerk and there is some OOC "reason" for him to provoke intra-party conflict with no IC reason?

Summoning Druid, heh. That's gonna be a change. Be a good player (player, not character, RP however you want) and work out your summons list before you start playing. Write down each summons stat block altered for any feats you have and leave room for any spells you may buff them with. A dire wolf is an ok animal, a (Greenbound, Augmented, Beckon the Frozen) dire wolf that's been feat buffed may be different than one that's been spell buffed (non - Greenbound, Augemented, Beckon the Frozen, Animal Growthed).

Superglucose
2010-06-15, 01:18 PM
Why did the campaign end? You seemed to have handled the encounter rather handily. Was there something special about the original characters that prevented the story from progressing without them? This, to me, is a sign of a bad campaign design.
The campaign ended for this reason:

There had been a rash of party deaths recently, and as it were, less than half of the remaining party were original members of the party. In fact, only two of the original six players remained (I was not one of them) who picked the campaign setting in the first place. We were going to end a story arc and then end the campaign, which was my character rescuing his fiance from a sorcerer.

But then we decided that if the last original party member died that we should just restart the campaign because the reasons for people joining the party were very thing. See, there had been a very LARGE rash of player deaths due to player stupidity (ok, mostly the guy who's character I killed who was on like his fifth character) and a couple unlucky rolls. Unfortunately one of those unlucky rolls occurred and the party rogue pushed herself a bit further than she could go.

So the campaign ended by unanimous agreement that we'd do something else.

You mention that the bard's player has attacked you with every character while you were passively doing nothing. Was he trying to provoke your character to do something / anything rather than just sit there, or is he a jerk and there is some OOC "reason" for him to provoke intra-party conflict with no IC reason?
The ooc reasons are silly... he sees himself as in competition with me. I just kind of laughed it off which caused him to hold his opinion, etc.

Summoning Druid, heh. That's gonna be a change. Be a good player (player, not character, RP however you want) and work out your summons list before you start playing. Write down each summons stat block altered for any feats you have and leave room for any spells you may buff them with. A dire wolf is an ok animal, a (Greenbound, Augmented, Beckon the Frozen) dire wolf that's been feat buffed may be different than one that's been spell buffed (non - Greenbound, Augemented, Beckon the Frozen, Animal Growthed).
First thing I did :smallbiggrin: Ok, no, first thing I did was augmented stat block for animal companion :smallwink: Next I'm writing out a spell list which means my "character sheet" is really going to be five-six pieces of paper.

Umael
2010-06-15, 02:36 PM
@ Super - you know, I am aware that this guy has this stupid obsession with you, but in your shoes, I would have told him off a long time ago. If someone was in competition with me... excuse me... unasked, unwanted, unofficial, and delusional competition with me, I would find that it was seriously cramp my style. I like playing the raving killer one game and the urbane aristocrat the next, followed by the broken but still valuable member of the team or whatever else I decide sounds like fun.

The thing is... if I'm playing a game for fun, I don't want to have to keep having to keep this player in my calculations - let alone the extremely rude and uncared for fact that he is acting IC on OOC issues (a major no-no). Sometimes it is a lot of fun to play someone who will have moments of vulnerability, because it is part of the character concept, the character story I am fleshing out... to have my PC bumped off because one of the PLAYERS took advantage of the situation... yeah. I would have had a talk with him first, had the GM have a talk with him, and if that didn't work, I'd walk or get him booted.

So... why DO you put up with him, anyway? Why don't you do something?