PDA

View Full Version : Template help

DragonsAion
2010-06-15, 01:04 PM
So I'm playing a Malconvoker wizard in a 3.5 game that soon to start up and the DM is giving us free templates to use. Theres a heavy vampire/werewolf theme going on in the game so I'm thinking of using the half vampire and the were-tiger templates.

Does anyone here know of a better one to use?

PId6
2010-06-15, 01:06 PM
Well, if it's completely free, half-fiend (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/halfFiend.htm) is quite thematic and is really good for you too.

DragonsAion
2010-06-15, 01:21 PM
Will have to look at it when I go to lunch. Is there a good INT/CHA boosting template?

Right now I have a 18 INT and a 14 CHA. Not the best scores for a malconvoker on the CHA side.

2xMachina
2010-06-15, 01:23 PM
LA limit? Or any 1 template?

Cause... Ikea Terrasque.

PId6
2010-06-15, 01:25 PM
Will have to look at it when I go to lunch. Is there a good INT/CHA boosting template?

Right now I have a 18 INT and a 14 CHA. Not the best scores for a malconvoker on the CHA side.
Half-Fiend gives +4 Int and +2 Cha, so that's pretty nice.

If you're allowed multiple templates, you can stack the Phrenic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/phrenicCreature.htm) template on top of that, which further provides +2 Int/+4 Cha, and gives a whole suite of nice PLAs.

2xMachina
2010-06-15, 01:27 PM
If any 1 template, take the highest LA. (Huh, Lich lol?)

If limited LA, then you've to pick more carefully.

DragonsAion
2010-06-15, 01:31 PM
Well if I understand her posts she is gestalting the templates into the normal levels so theres no LA. By the way this is a lvl 10 game and i have 5 lvls wizard and 5 lvls of malconvoker.

Keld Denar
2010-06-15, 02:14 PM
So, does that mean you have 10 levels of LA to tack on? Cause thats...wow...

2xMachina
2010-06-15, 02:18 PM
Gestalt, but with templates...

Hmm, Necropolitan + Evolved Undead every lvl. Done. Cha up the wazoo.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-15, 02:20 PM
So, does that mean you have 10 levels of LA to tack on? Cause thats...wow...
How about Lich +4 Half fiend +4 Draconic +1/something 1

About +6int +8 cha +4 con, +2 dex +6 str (I think)

PId6
2010-06-15, 02:22 PM
How about Lich +4 Half fiend +4 Draconic +1/something 1

About +6int +8 cha +4 con, +2 dex +6 str (I think)
I sense some dis-synergy here.

Snake-Aes
2010-06-15, 02:25 PM

The con would just go to waste. While theoretically there isn't any limit to how many templates you want to apply, it makes one wonder what the familly does at night.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-15, 02:33 PM
Ok.... trade lich and draconic for dry lich (sandstorm) there, fixed

DragonsAion
2010-06-15, 02:39 PM
in all respect I'd like to keep it to one or two templates in order to keep a lid on the crazyness.

here are the creation rules we were given:

Creation
Like most of my games.
6d6 reroll 1's take the best 3
1 free feat a level (this means +10 feats for you yes)
Alignment: Any Non Evil.
Races: Your in Waterdeep use common sense.
Templates: Okay here's where I want to try something new, so I figured this would be ideal to test this out, I will grant you for free 10 levels of templates, It almost like a gestalt game, but not quiet. I want to see how templates function in RP. Without making people pay for them at the moment.
Level: 10th
Gold: Standard for 10th level.
Forbidden Books: The Book of Battle (Nine Swords), Magic of the Incarnum and Tome of Magic. (though you may have magic items if they serve out of them)No Classes.

PId6
2010-06-15, 02:46 PM
Wow.

I've heard of high powered campaigns, but this is :eek:

2xMachina
2010-06-15, 02:48 PM
I resuggest going through Necropolitan and Evolved Undeadx10. Simple to keep track of, and powerful like heck.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-15, 02:50 PM
...... can I play in your games?

:smallwink:

OMG PONIES
2010-06-15, 03:02 PM
Seconding Dusk Eclipse! Also, I am AFB at the moment, but you could probably add the Spellwarped or Voidmind templates from...MMIII? Both give you some SR, Spellwarped gives you little bonuses if a spell fails against your SR. Voidmind is my personal favorite, though: you have half a brain because the rest was "upgraded" by mind flayers, you have a sweet tentacle that pops out of your head, and you're immune to mind-affecting stuff.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-15, 03:12 PM
Seconding Dusk Eclipse! Also, I am AFB at the moment, but you could probably add the Spellwarped or Voidmind templates from...MMIII? Both give you some SR, Spellwarped gives you little bonuses if a spell fails against your SR. Voidmind is my personal favorite, though: you have half a brain because the rest was "upgraded" by mind flayers, you have a sweet tentacle that pops out of your head, and you're immune to mind-affecting stuff.

Downside you are now a puppet of the mindflayers... might not be a problem if you can convince your DM that you killed your masters in your backstory, also am I the only one who finds extremely funny that Mindflayer make you smarter by eating a part of your brain?

DragonsAion
2010-06-15, 03:20 PM
half a brain? I'm a wizard not a fighter.

sadly this is not my game but someone elses and think their running it for kicks.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-15, 03:31 PM
half a brain? I'm a wizard not a fighter.

sadly this is not my game but someone elses and think their running it for kicks.

1 the void mind template gives you an INT bonus I don't know why or how but it does...

2: my request was a joke (though I wouldn't mind playing in a game like that)

Greenish
2010-06-15, 03:41 PM
Can you take RHD on this imaginary side of the gestalt? It might make being a lycanthrope worthwhile.

Dracons
2010-06-15, 04:03 PM
My god! It's like a lesbian came in my mouth!

Perhaps the half-fiend would be good. Half Dragon too. Oh, and MAGIC BLOODED.

Total Adjusment:

Abilities
+12 Str
+4 Dex
+4 Con
+6Int
-2 Wisdom
+6 Charisma

+2 Spellcraft, +2 Know Arcana,
+ 5 Natural Armour
Acid, Cold, Elect, Fire resistance 20 (Choose half Shadow and become immune to energy drain)

Immune Poison, Paralysis, and sleep
SPELLS:
Darkness 3/day, Desecrate, unholy blught, poison 3/day, contagion, Detect Magic, Nystul Magical Aura, Read Magic each 1/day

All for a Level Adjustment of: +8. Ask if you can take a +race to make up for the other two levels, and choose Drow for an additional +2 to Intelligence and Charisma, MORE bonus spells per day, and Spell Resistance! With the whole 6D6 rolls, you have a good chance of two 18s, and if you put them both in int and charisma, you'll start out at 24 int and Charisma that way!

OMG PONIES
2010-06-15, 04:05 PM
But they eat away the stupid parts of your brain! It's horrible bizzare insanity-inducing procedures that give you a tiny boost in Intelligence. And if a wizard wouldn't go for THAT...

Keld Denar
2010-06-15, 04:09 PM
OMG PONIES, is that kinda like how beer makes you smarter?

See, in the wild, a herd of animals is only as fast as its slowest member. Predators prey on the weak and the sick of the herd, and without them, the overall speed of the herd increases.

Beer, like predators, kill off the slower and weaker brain cells. Without those stragglers holding the rest back, the overall speed of the brain increases. Right?

An illithid lobotomy works similarly. They remove the weak parts of the brain, mostly those that control emotion and feelings, allowing the logical, strategic, and magical parts of the brain to work faster and without distraction!

Its PERFECT!

Greenish
2010-06-15, 04:10 PM
…choose Drow…Don't be silly, he'll have to walk around in Waterdeep, and it's not like they'd let a drow do that!

*chants*
Drizzt is a hallusination.
Drizzt doesn't exist.
R.A. Salvatore is a car repairman.
Drow are always Chaotic Evil.

Drizzt doesn't exist.

Drizzt…

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-15, 04:17 PM
1- Don't be silly, he'll have to walk around in Waterdeep, and it's not like they'd let a drow do that!

2-*chants*
Drizzt doesn't exist.

Drizzt doesn't exist.

Drizzt…

1-and any of the other montrosities (mine included) would have a better way to blend in?

2-:smallfrown: But I liked the Icewind Dale trilogy...

DragonsAion
2010-06-15, 04:21 PM
even with the 6d6 I rolled 14,14,14,16,16,13. .......ow

Dracons
2010-06-15, 04:23 PM
Don't be silly, he'll have to walk around in Waterdeep, and it's not like they'd let a drow do that!

Hm. Tenth level wizard could never cast a spell to blend his appearence after alll....

Nope. Never. That's impossible.

A drow would never go into one of the biggest cities in the world, that's right over a evil city to gain allies and powers to destroy his enemies back in underground. Nope. Never. Not in a million years.

Greenish
2010-06-15, 04:23 PM
1-and any of the other montrosities (mine included) would have a better way to blend in?

2-:smallfrown: But I liked the Icewind Dale trilogy...1. Voidmind can tug the tentacle in to walk unnoticed. Half-demon half-dragons, well, no one would pay them any attention if only to avoid thinking about their family life. :smallwink:

2. I admit mostly I liked both the Dark Elf and Icewind Dale trilogies.

Hm. Tenth level wizard could never cast a spell to blend his appearence after alll....

Nope. Never. That's impossible.

A drow would never go into one of the biggest cities in the world, that's right over a evil city to gain allies and powers to destroy his enemies back in underground. Nope. Never. Not in a million years.It's good that you agree. :smallbiggrin:

Dracons
2010-06-15, 04:28 PM
It's good that you agree. :smallbiggrin:

Damn... you used sarcasm against my sarcasm.

Can't win now.

Well played. You win.

This time.

DragonsAion
2010-06-15, 04:37 PM
WOW, didn't think I'd get so many posts for this. Normally my posts sit dead for a few days before getting one post if i'm lucky.