PDA

View Full Version : d20 .HACK

THEONEBOGGIE
2010-06-15, 01:47 PM
ok, here's something i know like the back of my hand and have enough inspiration to get offa my ass and make. A .hack d20 game. The classes will be same as the game, but i'm wondering what to do for races, anyone got suggestions? as i can't find any acual player races... and please do not suggest grunty!

erikun
2010-06-15, 05:58 PM
If I may ask: Why? .Hack doesn't have any races, or rather, treats them equilivant to classes. I remember there being a "career werewolf" in the //Legend of the Twilight manga, which is pretty close to a race.

dragonfan6490
2010-06-15, 06:30 PM
I would think that a characters race would just be for aesthetic purposes in a .hack// game. The few characters that weren't human were hackers if I remember correctly.

Eloi
2010-06-15, 06:43 PM
I do believe you should just have 'templates' instead of 'races/classes'. Like 'Werewolf' and 'Waveblade' are both templates that can be picked for a character in .hack if you were to use a d20 system methinks.

Deathdarken
2010-06-15, 08:19 PM
what classes would there be?

dragonfan6490
2010-06-15, 08:45 PM
IIRC, there was Blademaster, which was a fighter-type class that used longswords, Twinblade, which was a dual-wielding rogue-type, Wavemaster, which was a mage-type class, Heavyblade, which used what can be equated to Fullblades, and Longarms, which used polearms. There was also a Samurai character who I think was a modified Blademaster.

Corporate M
2010-06-15, 08:45 PM
If I may ask: Why? .Hack doesn't have any races, or rather, treats them equilivant to classes. I remember there being a "career werewolf" in the //Legend of the Twilight manga, which is pretty close to a race.
Perfect example of "monster class" I've been working on.

I do believe you should just have 'templates' instead of 'races/classes'. Like 'Werewolf' and 'Waveblade' are both templates that can be picked for a character in .hack if you were to use a d20 system methinks.
That works too. Though I'd alter templates to be almost like prestige class so people could take them early. Something like half-fiend would have four levels, and each level grant them more and more half-fiend qualities.

what classes would there be?
http://dothack.neoseeker.com/wiki/.hack_Character_Classes

As you can see, it looks like .hack was ahead of it's time. Sounds like a tome of battle campaign, or fourth edition...

I'd love to play in a .hack campaign if you ever work on it the oneboggie, and I'd love to give my "monster careers" a try in your game. :)

THEONEBOGGIE
2010-06-16, 01:26 PM
Thank you everyone for your input, i really appreciate it. I'll just not include races in the game and stick to classes. I'll get to work on the basic character sheet and class systems, leveling rewards, etc. Once i finish i'll post it and get to work on the field/dungeon chaos gate system. I'M OFF!!!!! :smallbiggrin:

erikun
2010-06-16, 02:23 PM
You also want to consider what you want the system to do. If you want it to replicate the .hack video games/media, then the lack of distinction between races and classes won't matter as much. People playing will recognize that their characters are supposed to be from a video game with arbitraty restrictions, so just being a Werewolf or just a Long Arms makes sense.

If you are rather going for a setting in a medieval world using the classes based in the .hack world, then you'll probably want to do something similar but allow for multiclassing. For example, the Werewolf "class" is a racial werewolf learning how to fight with their claws and other natural weapons, while the Long Arms class is martial training in wielding spears.

THEONEBOGGIE
2010-06-16, 02:28 PM
i'll consider that thank you

THEONEBOGGIE
2010-06-17, 09:22 AM
Almost done with the character sheet, then the classes, if anyone can find the Field/Dungeon codewords, a bestiary, etc. I would most appreciate it.

THEONEBOGGIE
2010-06-18, 12:45 PM
I finished the character sheet, working on the classes and player manual, but one thing... HOW DO I POST STUFF ON THIS SITE!? really, im a bit of a newb here and if someone could send me some instructions or something (in a private message, as this is a seperate matter from the game) It would really help and get this along much faster. Thank you.

erikun
2010-06-18, 01:24 PM
Copy > Paste into a post? I'm not sure what format you typed them up in, but there is not problem just pasting a Textpad document and posting in onto the forum. You might need to break it up for length (and spoiler it for size).

Use the [ SPOILER ] and [ /SPOILER ] tags (or just the "SPOIL" button at top) for spoilers. Spaces need to be removed for the tags to work.

GoblinGilmartin
2010-06-18, 01:27 PM
Apparently you can't actually post something to store it in the GITP servers, you have to post a link to it from somewhere else

THEONEBOGGIE
2010-06-18, 01:40 PM
ah i see, thx!

THEONEBOGGIE
2010-06-21, 03:40 PM
Don't let this project die on the forums, Eloi, erikun, corporate m, you've helped me a lot, i'm working on the players manual, if you have an idea for anything at all post it, i can use the support, because i need to know if the public lost interest and i need to drop the project. There is one thing i need a little help tracking down, in game events, like in the acual game/anime, there were events, and i need a bit of help making some, as for primary campaigns im adding the game/anime storylines with interchangable characters, but cant think of many different events. Things like the tanabata event, or the halloween scavenger hunt in legend of twilight, or the goblin race like in the games, i need suggestions for events and i'll most likely accept any reasonably good idea, so anyone still following me, post Post POST! thank you...

Salbazier
2010-06-21, 03:47 PM
I just found this and I'll tell you that I'm interested to see your stuff, if that can relieve your mind and boost your spirit :smallsmile:. Don't worry, I think people just do not post because there has been no real material so far. Post something and I'm sure critics will flow

mrcarter11
2010-06-21, 03:49 PM
Wait, maybe I missed it somewhere.. But for classes are you using the world or R2?

THEONEBOGGIE
2010-06-22, 01:17 PM
im making multiple versions, first one is The World, second one will be R:2.

mrcarter11
2010-06-22, 01:26 PM
Well, I would love to see the class system for R2. Um, if you need any help with the actual classes let me know..

Corporate M
2010-06-22, 03:04 PM
To be fair, I never actually watched .hack, I just like the concept. But I'd definitely be willing to help you out.

http://dothack.wikia.com/wiki/Eras_of_.hack
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_.hack//Sign_episodes
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0361140/episodes

Some random google searches. I'll try to find episodes on youtube and actually watch'em so I can help out more. (Cause who knows, I might start my own .hack abridged series when this is all over...)

mrcarter11
2010-06-22, 03:16 PM
I myself have only seen a few episodes.. It just seems like a fun project. And working on the classes could help me with homebrewing..

THEONEBOGGIE
2010-06-22, 11:58 PM
thx for the help, there is one alterior thing i could use help with acually, ive been having trouble finding a list of all the skills and what they do, like repth and vak don, .hack's spells, can anyone help me out there?

mrcarter11
2010-06-23, 12:07 AM
Try the .hack wikia

Debihuman
2010-06-23, 07:22 AM
Races: Human and AI.

Classes: Well that's up to you.

I don't know enough about the game to suggest any more.

Debby