PDA

View Full Version : Arena Tournament, Round 86: McToughy & Croysp vs. Sparks & Joshua Balukar

ArenaManager
2010-06-15, 02:59 PM
Arena Tournament, Round 86: McToughy & Croysp vs. Sparks & Joshua Balukar

Map:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b30/Kyeudo/WallArena.jpg

Awards
XP Award: 600 XP to each non-DQd member of winning team
GP Award: 600 GP to each non-DQd member of winning team

McToughy (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=92125) - AlterForm (Red North)
Croysp (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=5067) - Psionic Dog (Red West)
Sparks (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=6655) - RandomAction (Blue South)
Joshua Balukar (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=147078) - Master_Rahl22 (Blue East)

All Combatants, please roll initiative and declare any final purchases.

RandomAction
2010-06-15, 03:12 PM
Wow, the match for all the marbles. Good luck everyone!

Sparks, Ini: [roll0]

@Joshua:
I got lucky on that last roll. Ok, tactics-wise, I would like to see thier purchase's before deciding anything solid. But, I believe that Croysp learned a lesson last match about rushing in. I am going to look through my books and see what I can come up with in the area of buffing/destruction spells.
Do you have any ideas?

I have updated my sheet........

AlterForm
2010-06-15, 05:23 PM
McToughy reporting in.

[roll0]

Master_Rahl22
2010-06-16, 07:16 AM
Whew that was quite a match. Good luck, all!

[roll0]

@Sparks:
Yeah, somehow I doubt Croysp is going to charge right at us again. :smalltongue: Croysp will still need to be our first target. Also, that blindfold/Synesthete thing seems like a dirty trick to me, but apparently it's allowed so good job not trying to use Color Spray. We may need to be prepared to go looking for them this time. I might grab Detect Hostile Intent or something that would let me climb the walls. I still have a Potion of Invis, so that might be useful too.

RandomAction
2010-06-16, 10:22 AM
@Joshua:
I have looked over the Synesthete power. They will still be subject to illusions and mind effecting powers, kust anything that functions like a gaze attack will fail. So I can either hit them with a reflex save spell or dispell thier magic. I will continue to look at my higher level spells to see what I can do, but turning invisible seems like a good idea at this point.
I agree Croysp needs to fall first.

RandomAction
2010-06-16, 12:44 PM
:smallbiggrin:

@Joshua:
I think I have got them. Using the power to 'hear' light and blindfolding themselves, they have a fatal flaw. I can cast the spell silence to nulify all sound and render them completely blind. So if I can silence on you, which we need to set up some kind of non-verbal communication, you can chase them down and kill them without worrying to much about a counter attack, since they will be completely blind. What do you think?

Master_Rahl22
2010-06-16, 01:22 PM
@Sparks:
[GuinessCommercial]Brilliant![/GuinnessCommercial] I love it! :smallbiggrin: If for some reason they figure it out and take the blindfolds off, then I can just drink the invis potion and still be undetectable for a while. When I get home later tonight, I'll look for a nice low level power that would let me communicate with you, I'm sure there's a telepathy or sending or something that would work.

Psionic Dog
2010-06-16, 06:54 PM
[roll0]

I'll buy another psionic tatoo of Synesthete and... something else.

Still thinking on what the something else will be however.

RandomAction
2010-06-16, 08:13 PM
Sparks will buy the following:

2 scrolls of Silence - 150gp each

Reserve right for reactionary ones.

AlterForm
2010-06-17, 09:36 PM
McToughy and Croysp are still planning via PM.

RandomAction
2010-06-17, 10:12 PM
Ok, just waiting on ya'll to declare purchases, so I can make a few reactionaries and I am ready.

@Joshua:
Ok. We keep to the same plan as last time for buffs and a possible Croysp death charge.
If he/they do not come running towards us then after I hit you with a shield (R-1), silence (R-2 in which you delay til after me so I can cast it) and you drink your invis potion. I do not think there is a low-level mental power that allows communication between us, so buy 3 colored scarves/rags/flags to drop as a signal to me. You move west in R-2. Blue = all clear; Red = both are seen; Black = only one is seen.
I will then turn invisible and follow after you(R-3). Keeping the same idea of me pulling charge attacks for your AoO counters. My first attack will be to try and hit Croysp with my Seeking Ray. A failed CL check will allow me to stay invisible.
1.) After dropping Croysp, if McToughy is far enough away for you return to me for another invisibility buff. If not, I will fling every spell I can to hurt him, hopefully enough will get through that Elan damage reduction. I have a feeling that he will target me if I try to get in close again, but if I can I will use my boots to trip him up.
2.) IF we find them huddle together, while we are invisible, then I will try to put them both to sleep. If this works it is C-d-C time. Starting with Croysp then Toughy.

They underestimated us last time and I do not think they will repeat this mistake. Any ideas?

Master_Rahl22
2010-06-19, 08:46 AM
@Sparks:
Sounds like a great plan. I'll need to see how much a colored rag/flag/cloth is but I think it will work. I think I'll grab another tattoo of Animal Affinity. Will you be able to get me another Bull's Strength? If not, should I use Affinity for Str (offense) or Dex (defense)? Should I buy a scroll of Bull's Strength and drop it next to you on first turn?

Psionic Dog
2010-06-19, 11:00 AM
Sorry for the delay, were still waiting on a response to a Waiting Room question.

RandomAction
2010-06-19, 11:16 AM
@Joshua:
Yeah I can afford another str buff scroll. Hopefully we win, cause I will need the cash for my 3rd level strategy. Let you in on a secret about Sparks, Level 3 is going to Swashbuckler and the wandstrike feat combined with a CL5 shocking grasp wand.

Master_Rahl22
2010-06-19, 02:15 PM
@Sparks:
I can buy the scroll and just drop it in the square next to you. I'll go ahead and declare that and the tattoo, will ask refs about the cloths.

AlterForm
2010-06-19, 05:32 PM
McToughy will purchase a spiked gauntlet.

I may have additional purchases.

RandomAction
2010-06-20, 08:42 PM
Take your time. I predict that this battle will be the hardest yet.

@Joshua:Ok do that. I am thinking of getting a tanglepatch to hold them up, but that would cause you problems on attacking them. I am thinking up a trick to catch them off-guard. I do have some left over purchases from prior rounds.

RandomAction
2010-06-20, 11:49 PM
@Joshua:
After I buff you with the Str and silence, I will turn invisible as I move. At some point after your buffs and signal to me, delay your turn til after me. Here our tactics change.
1.) Croysp only: I attack with Seeking Ray and become visible or fail the CL check and drop a white cloth telling you to move close and ready and action to attack. Next turn I will cast non-boosted Kelgore's. You charge/what-ever is better for you and we should have him finished in a round or two. The we regroup to hunt for McToughy.
2.) Mctoughy only: I move out of the silenced zone and cast a sleep spell in front of you, keeping you clear of effected area, you ready an attack in-case of his/sudden partner LoS move into and past you, keeping them in area of effect for the sleep spell. C-D-C him if he fails save, or keep swinging as I boost Kelgore's next chance.
3.) If both: You move to where you can AoO Croysp as he charges, as I hammer him with Seeking Ray. McToughy should not be able to move close t attack, so next round, we hammer on Croysp and fall back slowly, staying out of a Toughy charge attempt. Rinse, repeat. For McToughy, afterwards, we try Stomping-you-step-in for prone slapdown damage. After he stands, I continue with another Stomp or Kelgore's while you bash him.
Any thoughts/Ideas/Comments/Suggestions?

Master_Rahl22
2010-06-21, 09:01 PM
@Sparks:
Sounds good. I still have no response about how much for the flags, I'm tempted to just throw down a gold piece and call it good.

Joshua's purchases:
Scroll of Bull's Strength: 150gp
Psionic Tattoo of Animal Affinity: 300gp

Reserve the right to make reactionary purchases.

RandomAction
2010-06-22, 02:04 AM
@Joshua:I echo that thought. They don't have to be masterwork or nothing, hmm seperate thought there, just plain simple rags or colored strands of thick rope/yarn.
I wonder how long they are going to be? Sparks is ready to level and I am going all out to help boost my funds for the changes that are coming. So, you can say I am itching for this fight.

Psionic Dog
2010-06-22, 05:11 AM
@AlterForm
Did we ever get all your questions answered yet?

AlterForm
2010-06-22, 09:45 AM
@PsiDog
Spiked Gauntlets are go. Feeling Light will protect us from Color Spray and Silence. So . . . yes. That's everything. Waiting Room sure is slow.

What we still have pending is our battle strategy. I think our best play is a defensive position until we spot one of them, then a coordinated effort to drop them quickly. We could meet up in the NW corner, you in A1, ready to charge whatever shows up, me in C3, holding a forward line.

With Synesthete, FS, Vigor, and my RE potion from last match, I'm going to need 4 rounds to buff up, but I think they're going to need close to that much time as well. Feels weird, though; this is the first match I've spent any appreciable amount on consumable items.

Psionic Dog
2010-06-22, 05:52 PM
I'll get a Chronocharm Charm of the Horizon Walker and a Psionic Tatoo of Precognition.

Total spent including the Synesthete: 600 gp.

No more planed purchases, reserve right to reactionary if team blue has anything else.

@Alterform
Sounds good, but I thought you used your Synesthete last match?

My shiny new chronocharm is mostly bluff to make them think I'm trying another faster charge, but it's also a great way to retreat if needed.

AlterForm
2010-06-22, 06:27 PM
McToughy purchases a psionic tattoo of synesthete.

Total match purchase cost: 55 gp

@PsiDog
Almost forgot I needed a new one of those. :smallredface:

I think we're ready, then?

RandomAction
2010-06-22, 06:50 PM
Looking over a few things, may make a purchase or two.

RandomAction
2010-06-22, 11:28 PM
Ok, here is my one purchase.

Since you two were able to buy a RE potion for 50gp thanks to my spell-list, that means I can buy a Eternal Wand of Cat's Grace(2/d CL1) - 820gp. (In dungeonscape the PrC Trapsmith casts Cat's Grace as a 1st level arcane spell.)

Done and ready to battle.

@Joshua: On little change in tactics when u get to me, be holding scroll open so I can cast from it without moving to take. I will buff you with Bull's Str in R1. Next turn u go invisible and scout drawing weapon. I will buff with my new wand and follow.(End R2) Next you delay so I can invis buff and move close. You then buff with animal affinity and we should have LoS to someone at that point, so move forward 10'. (End R3)We then follow prestated LoS tactics.

AlterForm
2010-06-23, 08:44 AM
Since the ruling on spiked gauntlets got overturned, I'm going to take back my purchase of one.

Total Spent: 50 gp

Psionic Dog
2010-06-24, 05:26 AM
No counters to Random, waiting to see if Master_Rahl22 makes a reaction I need to counter.

Master_Rahl22
2010-06-24, 07:35 AM
No reactions.

@Spark:
Sounds like a plan. I'll have my colored scarves in my off hand for ease of access. If I drop all 3, it will mean "Oh crap I need to be able to defend myself so I'm putting my hands on my sword." :smallwink:

RandomAction
2010-06-24, 08:27 PM
Ok, still ready.

@Joshua:
I will save the silence spell/scroll for when we see them. Other than that no changes:

Psionic Dog
2010-06-25, 04:48 AM
Alter, ready for the start?

AlterForm
2010-06-25, 09:28 AM
McToughy purchases a Boot Blade.

Total Purchases: 54 gp

All set to go; no one's turn but mine should be held up by my Waiting Room question.

Question answered; let's do this.

Master_Rahl22
2010-06-25, 08:49 PM
Joshua buys a candle, a piece of chalk, and an inkpen: 1sp, 2cp

@Sparks:
Candle = I see only Croysp, Chalk = only McToughy, Inkpen = both, all = Oh crap I need to be ready to attack stuff

Let's rock

RandomAction
2010-06-25, 10:38 PM
@Joshua:
Remember to hold the scroll so I can cast from it. I have seen it done before. After that it's rock n roll time.
For ease of play:

Ini Order
Joshua
Sparks
Croysp
McToughy

Psionic Dog
2010-06-27, 06:54 AM
Surly you aren't waiting on a reaction to the 0.12 gp purchase.

If you are: no counter reaction. Joshua may start us at any time.

What I do have is a question:
I see you've purchased writing implements. What sort of action would writing a message be? I'm thinking that exceeds the limits of free action speech.

@Alterform
Why a candle?
I don't think they can attempts morse code while without language proficiency, but I suppose they could they could be trying for a simplified signal system while silenced.

Anything I've overlooked?

Master_Rahl22
2010-06-27, 08:00 AM
Wasn't waiting on reactions, just didn't realize I was first. :smallsmile:

I'm having difficulty getting the map to load. My turn may have to wait until tomorrow.

RandomAction
2010-06-27, 10:15 AM
No reactionaries from me. Just waiting for my turn to pop.

AlterForm
2010-06-27, 10:38 AM
No reactionaries from McToughy, either.

PsiDog
No idea. I really have nothing to hypothesize in terms of their strategy with regards to Joshua's school supplies.:smalltongue:

Master_Rahl22
2010-06-28, 08:56 PM
Hmm, I didn't have a chance to look at the map on my other computer today, and for some reason I can't see it from this comp. Could somebody email it to me as an attachment? My addy is sconyers [at] google's email [dot] com. Thanks.

Psionic Dog
2010-06-29, 08:18 PM
Map forwarded.

Any chance your settings were blocking photobucket?

Master_Rahl22
2010-06-29, 08:39 PM
Since I can't get to photobucket when linked there, yes. This is a work computer, so I can't change them. :smallannoyed:

Joshua Balukar, Turn 1

LOS:
Start in N-25 holding scroll of Bull's Strength in both hands and candle, chalk, and ink pen in belt pouch. Greatsword is sheathed.

Double move to X-13
Hold scroll out toward the south, unfurled so it could be read.

End of turn

Stats:

HP: 24/24
AC: 15, FF: 14, Touch: 11
PP: 7/7
Buffs:
Psionically Focused

RandomAction
2010-06-29, 09:02 PM
Good luck everyone.

Sparks,R-1:
Refs/LoS:
Start in Y-13 with Eternal Wand in hand.
Refs:Here is the trickey part. I believe that my partner can hold the scroll so I can cast from it. If not, then he needs to know so he can drop it. We discussed this as a possiblility and part of our tactics. If not allowed I will change my starting held items to nothing and my move action to pick it up.
Standard - Read and cast spell from partner held scroll onto partner, DC:4 CL check: [roll0]
If passed pop spoilerCast Bull's Strength on Joshua. Duration 3 minutes.
Move to X-7.

End turn.

Stats:
Hp: 17
AC: 18(5armor+3dex); T-13; F-15
Saves: F+5/R+3/W+3
Listen/Spot: -5/-5
Spells:
Duskblade - 3/3/1
Beguiler - 5/4

Psionic Dog
2010-06-30, 05:22 AM
Croysp - Round 1

Start blindfolded holding a potion between my teeth with the great ax in one hand fully armored in M2.

Standard: Tap Psionic Tatoo
Synthicate.
Settings: Feel Light on the understanding that this too is protection vs color spray.

Assuming No LoS:
Move to C-4.
And... why not. [roll0]

Done

stats
HP: 22/22
AC: 15 (+4 armor +2 dex -1 vulnerable)
Psionic Focus: Yes.
Psionc Aura: Attack
Belt Charges left: 3
Blindfolded
synthicate (feel light) 100/100

AlterForm
2010-06-30, 09:44 AM
McToughy - Round 1

LoS
Preparations
Begin in B13, fully armored. Potion of RE(Fire) held in one hand, MW Longspear held in the other. Psionic Tattoo of Synesthete on person. Boot Blade is activated. Psionically Focused. Blindfold from last match is still on.

Standard: Tap Psionic Tattoo
Synesthete
Set to feel light.
Move: 30 ft to C7

Status
HP: 13/13
AC: 21 (9 armor, 1 dex, 1 deflection) (FF 20, Touch 12)
Synesthete: Ends at top of McToughy Round 601
PP: 15/15
Psionic Focus: Yes
Hand1: Potion of RE(Fire)
Hand2: MW Longspear
Blindfolded (Sight maintained via Synesthete)
Spot: +0
Listen: +6
Position: C7

End Turn

Master_Rahl22
2010-07-01, 10:02 PM
Joshua Balukar, Turn 2

LOS:
5ft step to X-12
Free: Drop empty piece of paper
Move: Retrieve potion of Invisbility from pack
Free: Whisper "Invis after silence, drop Shield wand so I can use"
Standard: Ready an action
Drink the potion after Sparks casts Silence on me

End of turn

Stats:

Buffs:
Psionically Focused
Bull's Strength 30/30

RandomAction
2010-07-02, 01:53 AM
Sparks,R-2:
Refs/LoS:
Do I really need to give my partner an activation word for the wand? If not then ignore last sentence Sparks says.
5' step to X-8 - free.
Activate Wand - standard.
Effect:Shield @ CL1. Duration 1 min.
Drop Eternal Wand of Shield in X-9- free.
Draw Eternal Wand of Cat's Grace - move.
Whisper to partner - free.
"Shield before Silence. Tat for Con. Come here, Dex Buff. Shield Wand Trig:Snuggles."

End turn.

Stats:
Shield 10/10
AC: 22(5armor+3dex+4shield); T-13; F-19
Spells:
Duskblade - 3/3/1
Beguiler - 5/4

Sallera
2010-07-03, 12:31 PM
Refs:Nyar.

McToughy:Croysp is in C4.

Croysp:McToughy is in C7.

Sparks:Joshua is in X12.

Joshua:Sparks is in X8.

Psionic Dog
2010-07-03, 02:48 PM
Thanky. :smallsmile:

Croysp - Round 2

LoS:
Standard: Drink Potion (Resist Energy: Fire)
Move: Stow the empty bottle.

Speaking just loud enough for McToughy to hear:
"I have an aura of attack active. I don't see any of them yet. How Long should we hold position to see if they'll come after us? A full minute? More? Less?"

Done

stats
Blindfolded
synthicate (feel light)– 99 left of 100
Resist Fire – 100 left of 100

AlterForm
2010-07-03, 03:34 PM
McToughy - Round 2

Refs/LoS
Standard: Drink potion
Resist Energy (Fire); CL 1Free: Drop empty vial
Free: Shift grip on MW Longspear to 2 handed.
Move: 20 ft to C3
Free: Whisper at Croysp
My personal buffs will last for 2 minutes. We'll move out in ~1 minute, at the top of Round 14. You're going to set up in A1, right?

Status
AC: 21 (9 armor, 1 dex, 1 deflection) (FF 20, Touch 12)
Resist Energy (Fire): Ends at top of McToughy Round 602
PP: 15/15
2 Handed: MW Longspear
Boot Blade is activated
Blindfolded (Sight maintained via Synesthete; Feel light)
Position: C7

End Turn

Sallera
2010-07-05, 10:34 AM

McToughy:Croysp is in C4.

Croysp:McToughy is in C3.

Sparks:Joshua is in X12.

Master_Rahl22
2010-07-06, 07:09 AM
Joshua Balukar, Turn 3

LOS:
Move: Move to X-9
Move: Pick up Eternal Wand of Shield

End of turn

Stats:

Buffs:
Psionically Focused
Bull's Strength 29/30

RandomAction
2010-07-06, 04:07 PM
Sparks,R-3:
Refs/LoS:
Activate Eternal Wand - standard.
Effect:Cast Cat's Grace @CL1 on Joshua. 1 min duration.
Whisper to partner - 'Use your Tattoo for Con boost. Next turn silence, R-5 you delay.'
Draw scroll - move action.
Drop wand - free.
End turn.

Stats:
Shield 9/10
AC: 22(5armor+3dex+4shield); T-13; F-19
Spells:
Duskblade - 3/3/1
Beguiler - 5/4

Psionic Dog
2010-07-06, 07:51 PM
Croysp - Round 3

LoS
Free: Whisper
Understood. I think I'll stand in A1 with readied actions to 5ft + attack against anyone appearing within 10 ft. I'm guessing they'll attack me first allowing us to flank.
Standard: Tap Psionic Tatoo
Psicraft DC 16
Precognition
Move: to A1
Free: Take 2-handed grip on ax.

Done

stats
Blindfolded
synthicate (feel light)– 98 left of 100
Resist Fire – 99 left of 100
Precognition - 100 left of 100

AlterForm
2010-07-07, 01:20 PM
McToughy - Round 3

Refs/LoS
Standard: Manifest power. DC 16 psicraft to ID.
Force Screen. No augment.
Move: Active Listen
[roll0]

Status
AC: 25 (9 armor, 4 shield, 1 dex, 1 deflection) (FF 24, Touch 12)
Force Screen: Ends at top of McToughy Round 13
PP: 14/15
Boot Blade is activated
Position: C3

End Turn

Sallera
2010-07-07, 01:44 PM

McToughy:Croysp is in A1.

Sparks:Joshua is in X9.

Master_Rahl22
2010-07-07, 08:51 PM
Joshua Balukar, Turn 4

LOS:
Move: Move to X-7
Standard: Use Tattoo of Animal Affinity for Con

End of turn

Stats:

HP: 28/28
Buffs:
Psionically Focused
Bull's Strength 28/30
Animal Affinity 40/40

RandomAction
2010-07-07, 09:54 PM
Sparks,R-4:
Refs/LoS:
Pick up wand - move.
Activate Wand - standard.
Wand effect:Cat's Grace @ CL1. Duration 1 minute.
Drop wand (again)- free.
Whisper to partner - free: Almost ready. 1 more buff. You use wand, then I silence.
End turn.

Stats:Location: X-8
Shield +4 shield - 8/10
Cat's Grace +4 Dex - 10/10
AC: 24(5armor+5dex+4shield); T-15; F-19
Spells:
Duskblade - 3/3/1
Beguiler - 5/4

Psionic Dog
2010-07-08, 04:45 AM
Croysp - Round 4

LoS
Standard: Ready Action
If any foe appears in LoS within 10ft, take a 5ft step and attack.

@Refs (doesn't hold up play)
Just A thought, I noticed Joshua purchased a candle. My best guess is he intends to use it as a signaling devise somehow. If he intends to use it while invisible then it would be useless since the illumination provided wouldn't stand out against the already well lit arena.

Not need to respond, its just a thought that may not even apply.

Done

stats
Blindfolded
synthicate (feel light)– 97 left of 100
Resist Fire – 98 left of 100
Precognition - 99 left of 100

AlterForm
2010-07-09, 08:14 PM
McToughy - Round 4

Refs/LoS
Standard: Manifest Power. DC 16 Psicraft to ID.
Vigor. Augment to 2 pp.
[roll0]

Status
HP: 13/13 (10 THP)
Force Screen: Ends at top of McToughy Round 23
Vigor: Ends at top of McToughy Round 24
PP: 12/15
Boot Blade is activated

End Turn

Sallera
2010-07-09, 08:31 PM

Sparks:Joshua is in X7.

Master_Rahl22
2010-07-09, 10:48 PM
Joshua Balukar, Turn 5

LOS:
Standard: Use Eternal Wand of Shield on myself
Free: Drop wand
Move: Get inkpen from belt pouch

End of turn

Stats:

Buffs:
Psionically Focused
Shield 10/10
Bull's Strength 27/30
Animal Affinity 39/40

Holding:
Potion of Invis
Inkpen

RandomAction
2010-07-10, 01:04 AM
Sparks,R-5:
Refs/Los:
Cast spell from scroll - dtandard.
DC:4 CL check [roll0]
If successful pop spoiler:Cast Silence on Joshua.
Drops used scroll - free.
Whisper to partner - free.
"Time to start this play."
Draw scroll - move.
5' step to Y-7.End turn.

Stats:Location: Y-7
Shield +4 shield - 7/10
Cat's Grace +4 Dex - 9/10
Spells:
Duskblade - 3/3/1
Beguiler - 5/4

Psionic Dog
2010-07-10, 08:23 AM
Croysp - Round 5

[roll0]

Done

stats
Blindfolded
synthicate (feel light)– 96 left of 100
Resist Fire – 97 left of 100
Precognition - 98 left of 100

AlterForm
2010-07-11, 05:05 PM
McToughy - Round 5

Refs/LoS
[roll0]
Standard: Ready an Action
Action: Attack
Trigger: Any foe takes any action within 15 ft of McToughy

Status
Boot Blade is activated
Readied Action: Attack on any foe's action within 15 ft

End Turn

Sallera
2010-07-11, 05:23 PM

Sparks:Joshua is in X7.

Joshua:Sparks is in Y7.

Master_Rahl22
2010-07-12, 08:00 AM
Joshua Balukar, Turn 6

LOS:
Free: Say to Sparks, "Going to R-2"
Standard: Drink Invis potion
Move: Move to R-2 and draw greatsword

End of turn

Stats:

Buffs:
Psionically Focused
Shield 10/10
Bull's Strength 27/30
Animal Affinity 39/40
Silence 30/30
Invisibility 30/30

Holding:
Greatsword
Inkpen

Sallera
2010-07-12, 10:37 AM

Sparks:Joshua is in X4.

Joshua:Sparks is in Y7. When you reach X4, you see Croysp in A1, blindfolded and wielding a greataxe, and McToughy in C3, blindfolded and wielding a longspear and boot blade. You may revise your turn from this point.

Back to Joshua.

Master_Rahl22
2010-07-12, 09:16 PM
Joshua Balukar, Turn 6, redux

LOS:
Move: Move to V-2 and draw greatsword
Free: Drop inkpen

End of turn

Stats:

AC: 19, FF: 18, Touch: 11
Buffs:
Psionically Focused
Shield 9/10
Bull's Strength 26/30
Animal Affinity 38/40
Silence 30/30
Invisibility 30/30

Holding:
Greatsword

RandomAction
2010-07-12, 09:56 PM
Sparks,R-6:
Refs/LoS:
Cast spell from scroll - standard.
DC:4 CL check - [roll0]
If successful, pop spoiler......
Cast Invisibility on myself. Duration 3 minute.

Need to see results before continuing....

RandomAction
2010-07-12, 09:59 PM
Sparks,R-6. final:
Refs/LoS:
Drop used scroll - free.
Move to Z-3 drawing Glaive in one handed grip - move.

End turn.

Stats:Location: Z-3
Shield +4 shield - 6/10
Cat's Grace +4 Dex - 8/10
Invisibility 30/30
Spells:
Duskblade - 3/3/1
Beguiler - 5/4

Sallera
2010-07-12, 10:12 PM

McToughy:Croysp is in A1. You see an inkpen appear in V2.

Croysp:McToughy is in C3. You see an inkpen appear in V2.

Sparks:Croysp is in A1, blindfolded and wielding a greataxe, and McToughy in C3, blindfolded and wielding a longspear and boot blade. There is an inkpen in V2.

Joshua:Croysp is in A1. McToughy is in C3.

Psionic Dog
2010-07-13, 08:13 PM
Croysp - Round 6

LoS
Free: Speak quietly.
McToughy, they should be arriving shortly I'd imaging. Seems logical they'll go invisible offense this time, and if silenced we might gain a little warning by making some noise and waiting until we can no longer hear ourselves.

<Refs: Croysp begins whisling as out-of-turn speach which he'll keep up until the start of his next turn.
¶>

Move: Active Spot
[roll0]

Done

stats
Blindfolded
synthicate (feel light)– 95 left of 100
Resist Fire – 96 left of 100
Precognition - 97 left of 100

AlterForm
2010-07-15, 09:27 AM
Placeholder post. I'll throw my turn proper up soon.

AlterForm
2010-07-15, 08:47 PM
Okay, I lied about "soon." Was hoping to get a quick LoS check, but no matter.

McToughy - Round 6

Refs/LoS
[roll0]
Trigger: Any foe takes any action within 15 ft of McToughy

Status
Boot Blade is activated
Readied Action: Attack on any foe's action within 15 ft

End Turn

Sallera
2010-07-15, 09:13 PM

McToughy:Croysp is in A1; you hear his speech and whistling as above. There is an inkpen in V2.

Croysp:McToughy is in C3. There is an inkpen in V2.

Sparks:Croysp is in A1. McToughy is in C3. There is an inkpen in V2.

Master_Rahl22
2010-07-15, 10:19 PM
Joshua Balukar, Turn 7

LOS:
Move: Move to K-2
Attack any enemy that comes within 5 feet

End of turn

Stats:

Buffs:
Psionically Focused
Shield 8/10
Bull's Strength 25/30
Animal Affinity 37/40
Silence 29/30
Invisibility 29/30

Holding:
Greatsword

RandomAction
2010-07-15, 10:47 PM
Sparks,R-7:
Refs/LoS:
Move to T-2 - move.
Cast a spell @ Croysp - standard.
DC:8 CL check - [roll0]

Need to see results before continuing.....

RandomAction
2010-07-15, 10:54 PM
Sparks,R-7, final:
Refs/LoS:
Give finger to dice roller - free.
Since I failed the CL check and did not attack, I am still invisible correct?

End turn.

Stats:
Shield +4 shield - 5/10
Cat's Grace +4 Dex - 7/10
Invisibility 29/30
Spells:
Duskblade - 3/3/1
Beguiler - 5/4

Sallera
2010-07-15, 11:01 PM
Refs:Listen for McToughy: [roll0]
Listen for Croysp: [roll1]
Aaand I missed that Silence also prevents sound from passing through the affected area. Never mind those then... even if it could go around, stone wall penalties would negate any success.

McToughy:Croysp is in A1. There is an inkpen in V2.

Croysp:McToughy is in C3. There is an inkpen in V2.

Sparks:Croysp is in A1. McToughy is in C3. There is an inkpen in V2. And yes, since you didn't actually cast the spell, you're still invisible.

AlterForm
2010-07-15, 11:15 PM
Refs
Is Croysp still audibly whistling?

Sallera
2010-07-15, 11:58 PM
McToughy:Aye.

Psionic Dog
2010-07-16, 05:24 PM
Am I up?

Croysp - Round 7

LoS
Free: Speak
Continue whistling.

Move: [roll0]

Done

stats
Blindfolded
synthicate (feel light)– 94 left of 100
Resist Fire – 95 left of 100
Precognition - 96 left of 100

AlterForm
2010-07-16, 05:40 PM
Yeah, sorry. Should have put a "doesn't hold up play" tag on that.

AlterForm
2010-07-17, 03:26 PM
McToughy - Round 7

Refs/LoS
[roll0]
Trigger: Anyone takes an attack within McToughy's Line of Sight.

Status
Boot Blade is activated
Readied Action: Attack on anyone's action within LoS

End Turn

Master_Rahl22
2010-07-18, 08:24 AM
Joshua Balukar, Turn 8

LOS:
Full round: Charge to B-1 and attack Croysp, using Psionic Weapon
[roll0]
[roll1]

Joshua appears in B-1, having just attacked Croysp. Pop the spoiler above for rolls.

End of turn

Stats:

Buffs:
Shield 7/10
Bull's Strength 24/30
Animal Affinity 36/40
Silence 28/30

Holding:
Greatsword

Psionic Dog
2010-07-18, 03:13 PM
LoS
Attack hits, and Croysp's ready action triggers when Joshua appears.

5-ft step to A-2
[roll0]
[roll1]

Croysp's initiative changes to act after McToughy and before Joshua.

AlterForm
2010-07-18, 03:17 PM
LoS
Croysp's readied action triggers McToughy's readied action.
5 ft step to D2, then attack Joshua with longspear.
[roll0] vs AC
[roll1]

McToughy's initiative changes to just before Croysp's. So...no change there, actually.

Sallera
2010-07-18, 03:19 PM
The charge has to end in B2, not B1, as that's the closest square from which you can attack.

Master_Rahl22
2010-07-18, 04:27 PM
I meant to say B-2 anyway. Joshua lets the first attack go through and prevents 12 damage from the second, so he takes a total of 10. So now it's Sparks' turn, right?

RandomAction
2010-07-18, 04:53 PM
Sparks,R-8:
Refs/LoS: Move to M-2 - move.
Activate Gloves - swift.
Cast a spell @ Croysp - standard.
Spellcraft DC:16Kelgore's Fire Bolt @ CL 4.

Sparks appears in M-2 and hits Croysp with a spell.
Damage: [roll0]
Croysp - DC:14 Reflex fro half damage.

End turn.

Stats:Location: M-2
Shield +4 shield - 5/10
Invisibility 29/30
Spells:
Duskblade - 3/3(-1)/1(-1)
Beguiler - 5/4

Psionic Dog
2010-07-18, 05:11 PM
Guess we all have LoS then.

[roll0]
Edit: Retroactively Burn Precognitive Edge for +2 insight bonus on save to make that a '14'

By the way, was that fire damage?

RandomAction
2010-07-18, 05:17 PM
Yes it was.
Can you actually retro burn after seeing that you failed the save?

Psionic Dog
2010-07-18, 05:28 PM
Yep. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/precognition.htm) Bonus may be applied retroactively after I determine the result was too low.

Crosyp displays a resilient to fire and takes no damage.

Crosyp delays to act after McToughy and before Joshua.

Speak: "~ ~ ~~~ ~ ~ ~~~ ~~ ~~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~ ~ ~~ ~ ~~~"

Edit: Removed speech because of silence.

Sallera
2010-07-18, 05:46 PM
Oh, and you can't hear yourself. Your whistling stopped being audible just before you were attacked.

AlterForm
2010-07-18, 05:51 PM
McToughy - Round 8

Free: Motion at Joshua, hold up on finger, motion at Sparks, hold up two fingers.
Standard: Attack Joshua with MW Longspear
[roll0]
[roll1]

Status
Boot Blade is activated
Position: D2

End Turn

Psionic Dog
2010-07-18, 06:56 PM
Waiting to see if that did damage considering the ac charge penalty, and if so if any of it was negated.

Master_Rahl22
2010-07-18, 08:40 PM
That does hit, and Joshua spends 2 PP to negate all of the damage.

Sallera
2010-07-18, 11:38 PM
Hasn't Joshua already used his immediate for this round?

RandomAction
2010-07-19, 12:18 AM
Since their readied attacks came during his turn, then he would he used a swift action granted to him for his turn. Now that he is attacked during their turns and he can use an immediate action to negate one attack's damage. Though it does mean that he is out of swift/immediate actions until next turn.

Sallera
2010-07-19, 02:44 AM
Oh, right, it was still his turn. My mistake.

Psionic Dog
2010-07-19, 05:21 AM
Ok, I'm going to assume that neither the Belt of Healing nor the Chronocharm Charm of the Horizon Walker require a command word. If I'm wrong I'll need to revise turn.

Croysp - Round 8

Free: Rage.
Standard: [roll0] [roll1]

If Joshua still stands,
Swift: Activate Chronocharm: move without provoking to E-3.

If Joshua falls:
Move: Move to C-1

Done

Stats
HP: 10/26
AC: 13 (+4 armor +2 dex -1 vulnerable -2 rage)
Chronocharm: ?
Blindfolded
synthicate (feel light)– 93 left of 100
Resist Fire – 94 left of 100
Rage: 7 left of 7

RandomAction
2010-07-19, 12:30 PM
Sorry to tell you, but both items require a command word to function. SO I think you need to redo your turn.

Psionic Dog
2010-07-19, 06:24 PM
Yah, should have known the belt was a command word, But the charm? Ugh. You sure that's a command word? Most command words are usually standard actions and the charm is clearly listed as a swift to activate.

Soo.. ugh. When I posted that assumption I was originally thinking only of the newly-re-discovered rage clause that one can't use command words while raging. However, with the Silence not raging isn't going to help will it?

If the charm doesn't require a command word but the belt does then the actions I had originally made as a contingency would have still occurred: That is, no belt-interfering rage and some weapon juggling with the remaining move action after using the charm.

But if both require command words... with silence Crosyp is doomed. He can't move without taking an AoO and probably dying, nor could he hold position and hope to heal next round. His only chance is dropping Joshua fast, which requires a raging attack. The charm would have been illegal so if Joshua still stood that part would have to be revised down to say, a 5ft step to B-3.

If you were hopping Croysp wouldn't attack you can forget that. With flanking bonuses and charging AC penalties this is his best chance ever of scoring a hit. Not attacking would only have been an option if doing so was the only way for Crosyp to retreat out of melee range without taking an AoO.

Anyway, the attack would still occure, even if I have to reroll it. After all who knows? Maybe a second roll could improve on that '5' on the d12.

I'll go grab a ref and find out if a reroll is needed, or if the no rerolls for similar attacks still holds.

RandomAction
2010-07-19, 08:49 PM
Yep, checked the book. If it is activated by a command, then you have to speak. Oh, I am not arguing the attack. It was a legal move, just the activation of the chronocharm wasn't due to the present conditions.

Kyeudo
2010-07-20, 02:24 AM
GM Kyeudo

It appears that RandomAction is correct. The default item activation, if not specified otherwise, is command word. Activating a command word item requires you to speak. You cannot speak while silenced. Therefore, you cannot activate a command word item while under the effects of a silence spell.

Since this makes Croysp's actions invalid, he may retake his turn.

I honestly never thought about this particular interaction of rules happening, but then I see crazy new stuff every month. Who knew silence screwed over melee more than casters?

Psionic Dog
2010-07-20, 05:14 AM
Croysp - Round 8

Free: Rage
Standard: Attack Joshua Attack - 22, Damage 15 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8953030&postcount=101)

If Joshua falls, then as posted move to C-1.

If he still stands then lacking the charm just 5-ft step to B-3.

Master_Rahl22
2010-07-20, 07:21 AM
Hmm, no Healing Belt means trouble for Joshua too, wish I had known that. :smallannoyed:

Joshua Balukar, Turn 9

5ft step to A-3
Standard: Attack Crosyp
[roll0]
[roll1]

End of turn

Stats:

HP: 3/28
PP: 2/7
Buffs:
Shield 6/10
Bull's Strength 23/30
Animal Affinity 35/40
Silence 27/30

Holding:
Greatsword

Master_Rahl22
2010-07-20, 07:29 AM
[roll0]
[roll1]

RandomAction
2010-07-20, 04:56 PM
Sparks,R-9:
Move to G-2.
Activate Boots causing 15' cone- Standard.
McToughy DC:13 Reflex or fall prone taking [roll0] non-lethal damage.

End turn.

Stats:Location: G-2
Shield +4 shield - 5/10
Invisibility 29/30
Spells:
Beguiler - 5/4

AlterForm
2010-07-20, 05:16 PM
[roll0] vs DC 13

[EDIT]: McToughy winds up on his arse, taking 2 nonlethal. I need to see how Croysp deals Joshua's attack before I take my turn.

Psionic Dog
2010-07-20, 05:17 PM
A hit, but not a critical.
Croysp expends focus as an immediate action to delay taking that last hit by one round.

AlterForm
2010-07-20, 05:23 PM
Well...okay then. Simu'd by the guy I was waiting for. :smallbiggrin:

McToughy - Round 10 (Adjusted for having moved above Joshua in the initiative order earlier)

Move: Stand up
5 ft step to D3
[roll0] vs AC
[roll1]

Status
HP: 13/13 (10 THP) (2 Nonlethal)
PP: 11/15
Boot Blade is activated
Position: D3

End Turn

Psionic Dog
2010-07-20, 06:46 PM
Uhm, McT? Joshua was in A-3. Croysp was the guy in B-3.

RandomAction
2010-07-20, 07:10 PM
So does that mean that McToughy just punkslapped his partner and turn stands as is? Or, does Mctoughy get to change his movement point and keep the same roll?

hustlertwo
2010-07-20, 07:14 PM
He said he was attacking Joshua, so no, he doesn't hit Croysp.

As for what else happens beyond that, no idea.

Sallera
2010-07-20, 07:20 PM
I know we had a discussion on this recently, but unlike usual, I haven't the slightest clue which match it was in. As best as I can remember, we decided that melee attacks fail just like any other if they're out of range.

AlterForm
2010-07-20, 07:31 PM
Well, bother, although I suspect it wouldn't have hit anyway. Too bad I don't still use spears; I might have had a case then to try to throw it instead.

So onto Croysp, then.

Psionic Dog
2010-07-20, 08:00 PM
... I'm a Dead man walking again aren't I?

Spectator Comments
By my count Joshua has taken 25 points of damage and spent 5pp negating damage.

Since he's only has 24 hp and no rageclaws or like it appears he had to have spent at least 1pp on vigor.

So unless I've missed something:
A) He used 1pp on a force screen and is now at 4hp with 0pp.
B) He used everything on vigor, and is now at 9 hp with 0 pp
C) He only used 1 pp on vigor and has no force screen: 4 hp with 1pp

Maybe this can be reduced to McT vs Sparks.

Crosyp - Round 10

Free: Scream a defiant warcry:
" .... .... .. . ... !"

Standard: [roll0] [roll1]

Done

At the start of Joshua's turn Croysp suddenly remember that he was just stabbed through the chest or some such and topples backwards.

stats
HP: -6/26
AC: 13 (+4 armor +2 dex -1 vulnerable -2 rage)
Chronocharm: ?
Blindfolded
synthicate (feel light)– 93 left of 100
Resist Fire – 94 left of 100
Rage: 6 left of 7

hustlertwo
2010-07-20, 08:50 PM
Psionic

I don't remember how much I can tell you, suffice to say that I checked Joshua out, his count of what he has left is valid, and he's still standing. Though it did require some looking up to find out why.

Psionic Dog
2010-07-20, 09:10 PM
Doesn't hold anything up.

@Refs
... Point. I merely intended to confirm that there was a solution: Vigor just happened to be the first that occurred to me. As long as the answer isn't that he somehow gained BiFeedback DR (a fact that should be observable) knowing that he legitimately stands is all I needed to know for now.

hustlertwo
2010-07-20, 09:45 PM
Psionic (keep playing, fellas)

No, nothing like that. It's a buff, to be vague while still hopefully assuaging your concerns. So there'd be no reason for you to know what it is or what it does, to the best of my knowledge.

Master_Rahl22
2010-07-21, 12:53 PM
Joshua Balukar, Turn 10

Standard: Activate Boots of Stomping toward McToughy. DC 13 reflex save or fall prone and take [roll0] nonlethal damage.

If McToughy fails the save, move to C-3. Otherwise, I will move to A-2.

End of turn

Stats:

HP: 3/28
PP: 2/7
Buffs:
Shield 5/10
Bull's Strength 22/30
Animal Affinity 34/40
Silence 26/30

Holding:
Greatsword

AlterForm
2010-07-21, 12:55 PM
[roll0] vs DC 13

RandomAction
2010-07-21, 01:37 PM
Iffy one part of this, but if the gloves and scroll combo desn't work then just subtract 1 from the strength damage.

Sparks,R-10:
5' step to G-1 - free.
Drop glaive - free.
Draw scroll - move.
Activate Gloves (Last use)- swift.
Cast spell from Scroll - standar.
Spellcraft DC:16Ray of Enfeeblement @ CL 3.
Ranged touch on Mctoughy: [roll0]
Strength damage: [roll1]

End turn.

Stats:Location: G-1
Shield +4 shield - 3/10
Cat's Grace +4 Dex - 5/10
Invisibility 29/30
Spells:
Beguiler - 5/4

RandomAction
2010-07-21, 01:38 PM
Does this spell double the Str damage on a crit?

if so, here's the check:
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

AlterForm
2010-07-21, 01:40 PM
Damnit, are we going to lose to critical hits again? :smallmad:

[EDIT]: Alright, I think I have an out. The Enhanced Elan Resilience feat says that "you can reduce the damage you are about to take by 4 points for every 1 power point spent," which does not specify what type of damage can be negated, in contrast to regular Elan Resilience only allows you to reduce hit point damage. Thus, I believe I can reduce the strength damage via resilience. Probably need a high ref to verify/deny this, however.

Sallera
2010-07-21, 01:53 PM
Well, neither, actually. It's a strength penalty, not damage, so it can't crit, nor can it be reduced.

Edit: Oh, and I don't have my books with me, but I'm fairly sure the gloves increase your caster level for the next spell you cast, so the scroll is unaffected.

AlterForm
2010-07-21, 01:54 PM
Grrr. :smallannoyed:

In case it ever came up in the future, would my argument for being able to reduce ability damage hold?

AlterForm
2010-07-21, 02:01 PM
What's the duration on the strength penalty?

McToughy - Round 11

5 ft step to C2
[roll0]
[roll1]

Status
Strength penalized to 14; until top of Sparks Round 41
Boot Blade is activated
Position: C2

End Turn

hustlertwo
2010-07-21, 02:03 PM
10 rounds per caster level.

RandomAction
2010-07-21, 02:19 PM
In the rules on Critical hits p. 140, it says if a spell requires an attack roll, it can crit. My spell requires an attack roll and it deals damage, strength. So thus it should be critted.

The gloves just say add +2 to the CL of the next 1st level arcane spell you cast and I am casting a spell, from a scroll.

10/10 rounds or 1 minute, which ever is easier.

hustlertwo
2010-07-21, 02:38 PM
The first point you make does sound kinda viable. Not sure about the second. Spells on scrolls don't have their power enhanced by your caster level. An increase to that caster level wouldn't change that. Plus, one could technically argue that the spell is being 'cast' by whoever crafted the scroll, put up the ingredients and so forth. All you're doing is pointing the result of their work at someone.

Also, again technically, even if the gloves don't power up the spell, you will still have used the activation (since it was a legal action). So whichever way it's ruled, that Arcanist's Glove use will count against your daily total, even if it didn't have an impact.

AlterForm
2010-07-21, 02:42 PM
Further, the difference between a 15 STR and a 14 STR for McToughy is a non-factor, since they both provide a +2 modifier and McToughy doesn't have any feats that key off his STR score.

Sallera
2010-07-21, 03:19 PM
As I pointed out in my last post, Ray of Enfeeblement (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/rayOfEnfeeblement.htm) does not deal strength damage.

The subject takes a penalty to Strength...
That's why they don't stack if you use more than one of them.

Edit: I can't rule on the gloves until I get home unless you post the exact wording, but as Alter says, it's irrelevant for this match.

RandomAction
2010-07-21, 03:19 PM
The gloves don't boost my caster level, but the caster level of the next first level spell that is cast.
The spell, I agree, doesn't deal damage. But it does have an effect and requires an attack roll, since the crit was confirmed the effect is doubled.

Alterform - The difference is with the crit your strength drops by 9 points, 7 if the gloves are over-ruled. Leaving you with either a 9, or a 12, in your score. In either case you are carrying more than a light load and will suffer penalties for AC, movement and such

RandomAction
2010-07-21, 03:25 PM
From the MIC:

ARCANIST’S GLOVES
Price (Item Level): 500 gp (3rd)
Body Slot: Hands
Caster Level: 3rd
Aura: Faint; (DC 16) transmutation
Activation: Swift (command)
Weight: —
These sleek blue gloves bear tiny golden stars
across the knuckles.
When you activate arcanist’s gloves, you
add 2 to the caster level of the next 1stlevel
arcane spell you cast before the end
of your turn.
Arcanist’s gloves function two times
per day.
Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item,
fox’s cunning.
Cost to Create: 250 gp, 20 XP, 1 day.

hustlertwo
2010-07-21, 03:34 PM
Well, it doesn't matter as far as his Strength score if the crit is overturned, but it would matter if he intends to run until the effect wears off. 30 rounds is a much longer time than 10.

Sallera
2010-07-21, 03:39 PM
Doesn't apply then, as far as I can tell.
A spell successfully activated from a scroll works exactly like a spell prepared and cast the normal way.... Using a scroll is basically like casting a spell.... Using a scroll is like casting a spell for purposes of arcane spell failure chance.... etc.
So while activating a scroll uses most of the same rules as casting a spell, it is rather clearly not the same thing as casting a spell.

RandomAction
2010-07-21, 03:44 PM
Ok then, no CL boost, so subtract 1 off of the prior rolls involving the strength penalty.

AlterForm
2010-07-21, 03:45 PM
So McToughy has a -3 penalty to Strength for 10 rounds?

RandomAction
2010-07-21, 03:54 PM
So McToughy has a -3 penalty to Strength for 10 rounds?

Unless the crit is over-ruled, then yes.

Sallera
2010-07-21, 03:54 PM
Aye, correct.

AlterForm
2010-07-21, 03:56 PM
Alright. No change to McToughy's Round 11 actions.

hustlertwo
2010-07-21, 04:01 PM
I'm still not sure that the crit wouldn't be allowed; nothing posted seems to contradict what Random said about any spell with an attack roll having critical possibilities.

AlterForm
2010-07-21, 04:02 PM
It's a penalty to strength, not damage. Also, the demonstration on weaponlike spells in Complete Arcane specifically calls out Ray of Enfeeblement as not being able to critical.

hustlertwo
2010-07-21, 04:08 PM
Doesn't that seem like something to mention first?

RandomAction
2010-07-21, 04:22 PM
Well, we seem to have settled this matter. Though the gloves CL boost seemed like it should have worked, since it was boosting the spell. A scroll is but a spell on paper using spell completion to activate it. But I am not going to futher argue the point and I say continue on with the match.
Jochua's reaction and turn I believe........................

Psionic Dog
2010-07-21, 04:51 PM
Crosyp practices not dying. (stabilization chance)

Not sure if this is public or not...
[roll0] DC 20

Master_Rahl22
2010-07-22, 09:35 AM
That's a hit, and Joshua spends 1 PP to reduce it to 2 damage.

Joshua Balukar, Turn 11

5ft step to B-2
Standard: Attack McToughy
[roll0]
[roll1]

End of turn

Stats:

HP: 1/28
PP: 1/7
Buffs:
Shield 4/10
Bull's Strength 21/30
Animal Affinity 33/40
Silence 25/30

Holding:
Greatsword

AlterForm
2010-07-22, 09:36 AM
That's a miss.

RandomAction
2010-07-22, 10:35 AM
Sparks,R-11:
Pick up Glaive - move.
5' step to F-2 - free.
Activate Boots - standard.
Alterform - DC:13 Reflex of fall prone taking [roll0] nonlethal damage.
End turn.

Stats:Location: G-1
Shield +4 shield - 2/10
Cat's Grace +4 Dex - 4/10
Invisibility 29/30
Spells:
Beguiler - 5/4

AlterForm
2010-07-22, 11:00 AM
[roll0] vs DC 13

AlterForm
2010-07-22, 11:11 AM
McToughy - Round 12

5 ft step to D2
[roll0]
[roll1]

Status
Strength penalized to 14; until top of Sparks Round 21
Boot Blade is activated
Position: D2

End Turn

Master_Rahl22
2010-07-22, 04:12 PM
Joshua Balukar, Turn 12

5ft step to C-2
Attack McToughy when Sparks moves into flanking position

End of turn

Stats:

Buffs:
Shield 3/10
Bull's Strength 20/30
Animal Affinity 32/40
Silence 24/30

Holding:
Greatsword

RandomAction
2010-07-22, 04:47 PM
Sparks,R-12:
Cast a swift spell - swift.
Spellcraft DC:16
Blade of blood @ CL 2 duration 2 rounds.
5'step to E-2 - free.
Attack McToughy - standard.
Damage: [roll1] slam + [roll2] spell

End turn.

Stats:Location: E-2
Shield +4 shield - 1/10
Cat's Grace +4 Dex - 3/10
Spells:
Beguiler - 5/4

Psionic Dog
2010-07-22, 04:51 PM
Croysp bleeds a little more.

Stabilization stuff...
[roll0] DC 20

Of course, Croysp dies anyway come round 16 when his rage ends even if he does stabilize... Oh well.

AlterForm
2010-07-22, 07:31 PM
McToughy - Round 13

5 ft step to E3
[roll0] :smallannoyed:
[roll1]

Status
Strength penalized to 14; until top of Sparks Round 21
Boot Blade is activated
Position: E3

End Turn

Master_Rahl22
2010-07-23, 06:53 AM
Joshua's readied action goes off when Sparks moves to E-2.

[roll0]
[roll1]

I think that means I go after Sparks now, so he's up.

AlterForm
2010-07-23, 08:31 AM
Taking a readied action puts you at the initiative count immediately prior to the triggering person/action. So your initiative count didn't move at all, meaning you're up again. Also, miss.

Master_Rahl22
2010-07-23, 09:29 PM
Joshua Balukar, Turn 13

5ft step to D-3
Attack McToughy when Sparks moves into flanking position

End of turn

Stats:

Buffs:
Shield 2/10
Bull's Strength 19/30
Animal Affinity 31/40
Silence 23/30

Holding:
Greatsword

RandomAction
2010-07-24, 06:00 PM
Sparks,R-13:
5' step to E-3 - free.
Damage: [roll1] slam + [roll2]

End turn.

Stats:
Cat's Grace +4 Dex - 2/10
Spells:
Beguiler - 5/4

AlterForm
2010-07-24, 06:27 PM
Miss. Also, presumably you meant F3?

McToughy - Round 14

5 ft step to F2
[roll0]
[roll1]

Status
Strength penalized to 14: Ends at top of Sparks Round 21
Boot Blade is activated
Position: F2

End Turn

RandomAction
2010-07-24, 08:00 PM
Yes, I do. I did get a little fuzzy there, sorry.

And I think this just turned into a 1v1, sadly, need confirmation before I go.

hustlertwo
2010-07-25, 03:22 AM
We may have a readied action that needs resolving first. Then it would be Joshua's turn again after that, if so (though I believe that going by precedent he won't have to reroll unless he chooses to, if anyone disagrees and has some other precedent behind it I will reconsider that position, however).

Master_Rahl22
2010-07-25, 07:06 AM
Readied action triggers when Sparks moves to F-3.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Joshua then spends a PP to reduce the hit to 5 damage and drops.

Joshua Balukar, Turn 14

Joshua bleeds
[roll2]

End of turn

Stats:

HP: -4/28
PP: 0/7
Buffs:
Shield 1/10
Bull's Strength 18/30
Animal Affinity 30/40
Silence 22/30

Unconscious

hustlertwo
2010-07-25, 11:43 AM
Yep, it's now a 1v1. Random's turn.

RandomAction
2010-07-25, 11:58 AM
Sparks,R-14:
Activate boots - standard.
McToughy - DC:13 Reflex or fall prone taking [roll0] non-lethal damage.

Need to see results of the save before I finish my turn.

AlterForm
2010-07-25, 11:59 AM
[roll0] vs DC 13

RandomAction
2010-07-25, 12:58 PM
Wow, the roller really dislikes me today.

Sparks,R-14,final:
Tumble to C-3 - move.
Check to avoid AoO: [roll0]

End turn.

Stats:Location: C-3
Cat's Grace +4 Dex - 1/10
Spells:
Beguiler - 5/4

AlterForm
2010-07-25, 01:40 PM
McToughy - Round 15

5 ft step to E1
Standard: Attack Sparks with MW Longspear
[roll0] vs AC
[roll1]

Status
Boot Blade is activated
Position: E1

End Turn

RandomAction
2010-07-25, 03:37 PM
That would be a miss, just to let ya know.

Sparks,R-15:
Shift grip to 2 handed on glaive - free.
Tumble to C-6 - move.
Check to avoid AoO: [roll2]

End turn.

Stats:Location: C-6
Spells:
Beguiler - 5/4

AlterForm
2010-07-25, 04:28 PM
A miss on your end, and an AoO triggered. Are we going to even worry about our partners turns? They're just rolling to stabilize, right?

[roll0]
[roll1]

McToughy - Round 16

Move: 30 ft to A5
[roll2]
[roll3]

Status
Boot Blade is activated
Position: A5

End Turn

Master_Rahl22
2010-07-25, 05:12 PM
Joshua Balukar, Turn 15

Joshua bleeds
[roll0]

End of turn

Stats:

HP: -5/28
PP: 0/7
Buffs:
Shield 0/10
Bull's Strength 17/30
Animal Affinity 29/40
Silence 21/30

Unconscious

RandomAction
2010-07-25, 05:19 PM
Unless somehow I can creat undead, then I guess we can ignore them. Oh that was a hit, btw.

Sparks,R-16:
5' step to C-7 - free.
Drop glaive - free.
Draw scroll - move.
Cast a spell - standard.
Spellcraft DC:16Obscuring mist. @CL1, 20' radius.
A mist forms around me in a 20' radius.

End turn.

Stats:
Hp: 7/17
Spells:
Beguiler - 5/4(-1)

AlterForm
2010-07-25, 06:00 PM
McToughy still threatens C7, so he'll take an AoO real quick.

[roll0] vs AC
[roll1]

Sallera
2010-07-25, 06:17 PM
As Joshua is in D3, I believe C7 is still in the area of the silence.

RandomAction
2010-07-25, 07:17 PM
As Joshua is in D3, I believe C7 is still in the area of the silence.

Are you sure, I was thinking that I was just barely outside the radius. With the center of the spell on Joshua himself, my numbers say that it extends from D-3 to D-7. For the northern reach, counting up until 20' is reached, leaves it outside of the area, or the #3 itself. Angle from this to D-7, then I am outside of the silenced radius zone.

So, am I right? If not, then I wish to change my turn based on this new information that is now available to me.

Sallera
2010-07-25, 10:43 PM
Well, counting by squares, 5ft to C4, 15ft to C7. The method of counting doesn't really matter, though; if it reaches D7, it would reach C7 as well. I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say in the second half of your argument. Targeting rules state at one point that spells must always start from a grid intersection. This, however, conflicts with spells that are specifically centered on a creature, which by definition takes up its entire space. So either you have to pick one corner, in which case we'd probably have to roll randomly (which doesn't seem to make much sense, not that that's ever stopped RAW), or it emanates from all eight grid intersections, effectively counting by squares rather than grid intersections, which also happens to be the simplest solution and thus the one I'm inclined to go with in the absence of evidence to the contrary.

*breathes* Bloody run-on sentences.

RandomAction
2010-07-26, 01:06 AM
To try to make myself clearer, the spell description states that it has a 20' radius centered on the creature/object/square. Since Joshua is the targeted creature, the center of the radius is in D-3, where Joshua's body is.

My numbers earlier accounted for this: from the left D-1 is 10' away from center. D-7 is 20' away from center. Going north, A-3 is 15' away, if you wish to count the numbered square above A-3 (which I know is outside of the area but to calculate the radius using it makes it easier). As for south, H-3 is 20' away from center.

The DMG has a grid on p.307, which show a gridded spell radius. Using it as an example and adding in the fact D-3 is the starting square, since it contains the body of Joshua, a 20' radius would look like a diamond. Drawing a line from each end point, noted from earlier, shows that I should be outside of the spell's radius.

I copied the map and drew out what I am talking about. It has been spoilered for ease of veiw.

All areas, either shaded or with a line are inside the radius of the spell.
http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af243/RJRandom/WallArena.jpg

Sallera
2010-07-26, 01:15 AM
It's a sphere, not a cube. The 20ft is counted in all directions.

RandomAction
2010-07-26, 01:33 AM
Yes, it does say a sphere. However, the rules also say that I choose the point of origin by selecting the grid intersection. In which I would select the D-2/F-3 intersection. Thus allowing me to be outside of the area.

Sallera
2010-07-26, 01:56 AM
You do choose the point, yes, when you cast the spell. Assuming the point is not Joshua, but rather one of the corners of his square, you would have no way of controlling which it is after the fact, hence why I said that if that is the case, it would have to be rolled randomly, since you didn't specify at the time of casting.

So, just to get this out of the way, 1 is C2/D3, going clockwise. On a 2, C7 is in the silenced area. [roll0]

RandomAction
2010-07-26, 03:09 PM
Ok then since I based my turn on the belief that I was outside of the silenced area, is my turn wasted as is or what?

RandomAction
2010-07-28, 01:46 PM
Ok, has this match died or are we waiting on something?

AlterForm
2010-07-28, 01:47 PM
Your question, I believe.

Sallera
2010-07-28, 03:00 PM
Aye, seems that way. The spell would simply fail due to the lack of a verbal component.

hustlertwo
2010-07-28, 03:19 PM
Seconded. An honest mistake, but still does not fall under a rewindable infraction. Play continues, McT's turn.

AlterForm
2010-07-28, 04:42 PM
Looking back, McToughy triggered an AoO during his Round 16 move when he left B4 en route to A5.

McToughy - Round 17

Move: 10 ft to A7
[roll0] vs AC
[roll1]

Status
Boot Blade is activated
Position: A7

End Turn

RandomAction
2010-07-28, 07:35 PM
Ok then.

Sparks,R-17:
Tumble to C-10 - move.
Check: [roll0]
Cast a spell @ McToughy - standard.
Spellcraft DC:16Ray of frost
Ranged touch attack: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

End turn.

Stats:
Hp: 7/17
Spells:
Duskblade - 3(-1)/3(-1)/1(-1)
Beguiler - 5/4(-1)

AlterForm
2010-07-28, 07:52 PM
Looking back, McToughy triggered an AoO during his Round 16 move when he left B4 en route to A5.

By which I mean, Sparks is due an AoO, which he should take retroactively.

Immediate: Spend 1 PP, negate 3 damage.

McToughy - Round 18

Move: 15 ft to A10
[roll0]
[roll1]

Status
Boot Blade is activated
Position: A10

End Turn

RandomAction
2010-07-28, 07:58 PM
Here is the AoO. Crit to hit.

Hopefully that hits and causes something to happen, but anyways your attack hits and I am down.

RandomAction
2010-07-28, 08:00 PM
7 points so far, maybe this could be a roll to cause you to burn up all your PP. Not really looking like it though.

Confirm: [roll0]

AlterForm
2010-07-28, 08:02 PM
Accounting for nonlethal damage, temporary HP, and 11 PP worth of negation, you'd have to output 65 points of damage. I've seen only a handful of characters in the Arena who could ever hope to manage to drop McToughy in one hit (or even just a couple); the build from a while back that used a feat to double damage on a charge comes to mind.

Good game all, but Croysp need to stop letting his partner down by dying to crits.:smalltongue:

Sallera
2010-07-28, 08:09 PM
High Ref Sallera

McToughy and Croysp claim the final victory.

RandomAction
2010-07-28, 08:09 PM
Well it was a good match anyways. I know that Sparks has earned enough xp to level to 3. Unknown about you and your partner, but I do hope to see you all in the L3 rounds. Maybe I can get a little payback.

Refs - How many characters are at 3rd level now? How long until a round can be started? I got thinking about an idea I had, so I thought that I would ask.
For level 3 tourney, could we have one with fewer characters than 8? My idea was if there was like 3 characters open, could we make a 1v1v1, using a two out of three wins to complete that round?

hustlertwo
2010-07-28, 10:12 PM
No need for that. Once Round 91 ends as well, it's possible we could have enough for a level 3 round of the normal variety. At least, assuming we can get some of the people with older level 3 characters back. I have 2, Psionic has 1, I think Mav and Kyeudo each had one. Not sure if there were any others. Of course, only one of mine can go in the round, so the other one won't matter for a while (it's also why I've not been in a hurry to put my other level 2s in rounds; if they manage to level, that just means they sit and gather cobwebs for even longer than they have already).

RandomAction
2010-07-28, 11:10 PM
Well with Sparks benched, I have 3 level 1's to work with but the level 1 seems to take longer to fill. I really need to work on Veldryn and Symbol, hopefully getting Veldryn up to 3 as soon as possible. Symbol, I have a little trouble with his advancement, if he levels, since I do not play clerics much.
Got any tips?

hustlertwo
2010-07-28, 11:16 PM
Tons. I'm sure I could write a whole FAQ about Arena combat, if I were of a mind to do so. Though that might result in my own techniques being less effective once everyone knows about them. Anything specific you were looking to find out?

RandomAction
2010-07-28, 11:32 PM
True, but that means people who expect those tactics will be surprised when you pop something new on them.
For Symbol, I know the buff and beat-down method is tried and true here, but I am wanting something that will benefit his clerical nature. Don't get me wrong a cleric dip can add tons of advantages and I have all the guides/handbooks offered online for each class in a favorites folder. Sadly, a warforged cleric gets bashed quite a bit in many CO boards. Wisdom penalties and all.

Mainly, I am look for ways to negate the sniper-types(archer/arcane) and the flying poke-you-to-deaths.

Master_Rahl22
2010-07-29, 09:18 AM
Good match, guys. I think Joshua has enough XP to reach level 3 as well, so that will be fun.

Psionic Dog
2010-07-29, 05:46 PM
I was sort of hoping Crosyp might live to the end of a match for once.

Still, a level up is a level up. I just need to decide what to add.

@RandomAction (spoilred simply for neatness since I rambled a bit on tactics)
As far as tips to negate sniper-types(archer/arcane) and the flying poke-you-to-deaths... that's tricky. The tactics that would defeat one aren't as important when fighting the other.

Most arena flight is either gliding or Animal Devotion. In fact, I can't think of a single character who ever managed to gain unlimited flight if you ignore the rare levitation spell and animal companions/familiars. If anyone ever did gain unlimited flight then good ranged attack, incredible jumping skills, or flight of your own would be the only counters. As it is with decent health and fast speed or a high AC it is usually possible to hunker down and wait for the fliers to land. Still, my recommendation is a ranged weapon.

Snipers are... difficult to counter. I've both played and played against opportunistic hiders, but I've never gained combat experience with or against a true sniper such as Mavian's old Snake. Having a respectable spot modifier is often enough to guard against opportunistic hiders, but true Sniper builds frequently have 20+ hide modifiers and some method of either creating concealment or camouflage. In fact, just pretend that a true sniper build has uses Dust of Disappearance every time they break LoS.

Against snipers Detect Hostile Intent would be my best recommendation. Other than that getting Uncanny Dodge or buffing your flatfooted AC sky high, and gaining DR or temp HP would be your next best bet. A strong spot may be able to prevent successful snip re-hiding, turning the fight into a game of Whack-da-Mole where you ready action against getting hit or seeing your foe while moving around trying to eliminate the cover they hide behind. Again, a strong ranged weapon or fast speed helps. Oh! and somehow gaining the Trample ability would go a long way against snipers. Kyeudo once made a trample-build that took out an invisible creature just by trampling up and down the arena in a search pattern until the invisible one got stepped on and died.

So my only recommendation that covers booth flight and snipers is to get a ranged attack. Come to think of it, that covers my recommendations for a lot of stuff (Crsoysp is my only non-ranged gladiator to ever see combat in the arena )

RandomAction
2010-07-29, 06:10 PM
Hmm...good advice Psionic. A ranged weapon can do alot of things. Thankfully my cleric can use a sling and he will have one if/when needed. I know that the CL1 Resist potions do come in handy, this match proved that to me.
Anyways, I will keep the advice in mind. When-ever anyone here wishes, after thier character has been leveled, care to give Sparks a run in an Exhibition match?

AlterForm
2010-07-29, 06:31 PM
Just as soon as I figure out where I want to take McToughy for his third level, I'd definitely be up for an exhibition.

RandomAction
2010-07-29, 07:03 PM
That would be great, I feel as though I need to prove myself against him in a 1v1.

hustlertwo
2010-07-29, 10:24 PM
I'll take him on with Train if you wish. Battle Janitor still hasn't actually been leveled to 3; just haven't decided for sure what to do with him.