PDA

View Full Version : Good lord, alignment is fun.

Fenrazer
2010-06-15, 03:27 PM
I'm currently playing a Lawful Good 14yo human psion and its a blast. Its like the love child of Captain America and Goku meets the love child of Ralph Wiggum and the Tick with a splash of Mr Deeds. He actually tried to pull arrows out of the back of an Ogre because it was "the right thing to do". Don't get me wrong, he's a Bad@$$ and all.

Anyway, I thought I'd see if anybody has a good story related to alignment.:smallsmile:

Eloi
2010-06-15, 03:29 PM
I had a Lawful Good Paladin who was socialable, smart, and nice to anyone and not just good people. ...Well that was a boring story, NEXT!

AtwasAwamps
2010-06-15, 03:31 PM
I'm currently playing a Lawful Good 14yo human psion and its a blast. Its like the love child of Captain America and Goku meets the love child of Ralph Wiggum and the Tick with a splash of Mr Deeds. He actually tried to pull arrows out of the back of an Ogre because it was "the right thing to do". Don't get me wrong, he's a Bad@$$ and all.

Anyway, I thought I'd see if anybody has a good story related to alignment.:smallsmile:

If your character is a moron, that's not because of his alignment.

Fenrazer
2010-06-15, 03:36 PM
If your character is a moron, that's not because of his alignment.

Sassy.

Nah. Hes got great mindpower. Very high Int Wis and Cha. Hes not a moron, just extremely naive because he goes out of his way to see the good in everything and thinks that evil can just be erased from the world. I just normally take ten when rolling insight-style rolls because he is not trying to see the truth, but he is trying to see the good.

AtwasAwamps
2010-06-15, 03:40 PM
Sassy.

Nah. Hes got great mindpower. Very high Int Wis and Cha. Hes not a moron, just extremely naive because he goes out of his way to see the good in everything and thinks that evil can just be erased from the world. I just normally take ten when rolling insight-style rolls because he is not trying to see the truth, but he is trying to see the good.

Ah, gotcha.

That still has NOTHING to do with any part of the alignment beyond "Good" though. It's more "Fun characters are fun!" than "Alignment is fun!"

EDIT: Also, sorry. That actually wasn't MEANT to be an insult, just a clever bon mot (am I using that right?) that came out way, way too harsh. Sorry.

Fenrazer
2010-06-15, 03:44 PM
I gotcha. For one to be Lawful Good, I figure you would have to be naive in some way or another, and try to look beyond it. He is fun to play, but I only play him like this because he is Lawful good. Hands on hips with a selling smile kind of way.

Fenrazer
2010-06-15, 03:45 PM
I gotcha. For one to be Lawful Good, I figure you would have to be naive in some way or another, and try to look beyond it.

It meaning bad personality traits. =-]

AtwasAwamps
2010-06-15, 03:46 PM
I gotcha. For one to be Lawful Good, I figure you would have to be naive in some way or another, and try to look beyond it. He is fun to play, but I only play him like this because he is Lawful good. Hands on hips with a selling smile kind of way.

Ah, gotcha. We've got fairly different views on what alignment governs, I think ;)

Swordgleam
2010-06-15, 03:48 PM
I believe that kind of behavior is commonly referred to as Lawful Stupid. :smalltongue:

The Glyphstone
2010-06-15, 03:50 PM
I believe that kind of behavior is commonly referred to as Lawful Stupid. :smalltongue:

No, that's more like Stupid Good.:smallsmile:

Ravens_cry
2010-06-15, 03:52 PM
I had a Lawful Good paladin who fell in love with a harpy, and married her at the end of the campaign. What happened was he misjudged her based on her race, and felt terrible for it. He was also attracted to her for how she struggled with her natural tendencies toward evil to become a good person. And when her valiant actions prevented any civilian casualties during a battle for the city, he knew he had found the love of his life. After courting her throughout the off time, and having returned victorious from defeating a great evil, preventing the destruction of the world, when he and the group met up with her and her cadre of fellow harpies, he knelt in the sand and proposed.
She said yes.
And that's where you came from little one. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-155232.html).

ZeroNumerous
2010-06-15, 03:59 PM
I had a Lawful Good paladin who fell in love with a harpy, and married her at the end of the campaign.

... A harpy? I hope it wasn't the MM harpy...

Fenrazer
2010-06-15, 04:04 PM
Maybe. I still use all of the alignment based stuff the same when it comes to weapons like axiomatic, holy, unholy, etc, but I've gamed with too many people who don't actually apply their alignment to the character further than to make sure they get the class they want, or to follow a deity or something.

I think that alignment governs the characters code of ethics and how they behave. I'd definitely count Superman and Captains behavior to be Lawful good, while people like Lex Luthor would be Lawful Evil, or even Neutral, and Joker would be Chaotic Evil.

I think that if peeps only take alignment for damage, deity, or class purposes, then it makes little sense to even have it in the game.

It throws sauce on an otherwise bland world where folks are the "good guys" but then slit a throat so that a guy will not cry out to the other bad guys. =-]

Fenrazer
2010-06-15, 04:05 PM
She said yes.

Hahahahaha

Swordgleam
2010-06-15, 04:08 PM
It throws sauce on an otherwise bland world where folks are the "good guys" but then slit a throat so that a guy will not cry out to the other bad guys. =-]

What I find interesting is that Chaotic Good and Lawful Evil, both theoretically opposed, both justify that action.

CG: My cause is good, and I am breaking the law by committing an unsanctioned killing in my pursuit of my cause.

LE: I am pursuing a goal, and doing it by the most expedient means that don't conflict with my personal code.

Really, you could probably justify slitting a guard's throat with almost any alignment (possible exception: LG), and it might be a fun challenge to pick various actions and try to explain them through the lens of all 9. Any takers?

Eloi
2010-06-15, 04:08 PM

My Paladin married a Succubus. Nothing bad happened afterwards, actually.

Ravens_cry
2010-06-15, 04:09 PM
Actually it was. Well, the Pathfinder Bestiary harpy. Rawr!

Hahahahaha
Ah love, she makes the fools of us all, no?

Dracons
2010-06-15, 04:13 PM
Maybe. I still use all of the alignment based stuff the same when it comes to weapons like axiomatic, holy, unholy, etc, but I've gamed with too many people who don't actually apply their alignment to the character further than to make sure they get the class they want, or to follow a deity or something.

I think that alignment governs the characters code of ethics and how they behave. I'd definitely count Superman and Captains behavior to be Lawful good, while people like Lex Luthor would be Lawful Evil, or even Neutral, and Joker would be Chaotic Evil.

I think that if peeps only take alignment for damage, deity, or class purposes, then it makes little sense to even have it in the game.

Indeed. Those people are those alignments.

But your acting like his NAIVITY of how life is and his deeds are BECAUSE he is Lawful Good, not that he is generally a good person.

LibraryOgre
2010-06-15, 04:16 PM

I don't think LG needs to be naive, any more than CE needs to be insane.

Lawful Good means that society should support the health and well-being of everyone, and that those who don't conform should be found a place for. In some cases, this will mean radical reform, but not all LG are going to be convinced that reform is possible, especially in some cases.

Ravens_cry
2010-06-15, 04:16 PM

But your acting like his NAIVITY of how life is and his deeds are BECAUSE he is Lawful Good, not that he is generally a good person.
Look at Sam Vimes and Captain Carrot. One could make strong arguments both are Lawful Good, though they express it differently.
I am not saying Captain Carrot is naive, by the way. He merely bends the world around him so it works the way he says it does.

Ashiel
2010-06-15, 04:17 PM

I think where some of the confusion is coming from is the idea of extreme examples of alignments without adherence to sane thought and reasoning. For example, trying to give a pit-fiend a hug while it's trying to kill you is stupid, best intentions and alignment be damned.

That being said, I give props on the harpy marriage (I hope it wasn't the MM-I harpies, because they look more like mutant dinosaurs with wings; which makes it really gross :smalltongue:), and my current Paladin would likely have saved the ogre's life as well (after he had been rendered incapable of hurting someone).

Alignments used properly are great tools, but taken to extremes makes you a very unbelievable character (and likely completely insane).

Fenrazer
2010-06-15, 04:21 PM
Really, you could probably justify slitting a guard's throat with almost any alignment (possible exception: LG)

LG is what I meant. I've had a paladin or three and though they are Lawful Good they slice the head off of most of the people we come across, including minor interrogations.

I guess I see LG as the type who would tie up the bad guys and take out the person leading them. You know, He man style or Spidey. Superman when left with no choice with Zod, Ursa and Non had to execute them and it was a serious problem with his conscience. Thats basically how I see LG. Not really sneaking up and slitting a throat. I just think that if one takes an alignment that we should at least make it seem like its a part of the character aside from damage.=-]

Swordgleam
2010-06-15, 04:21 PM
Alignments used properly are great tools, but taken to extremes makes you a very unbelievable character (and likely completely insane).

Oh man. That would be an awesome campaign premise: some kind of cult has cast a massive spell that makes everyone take their personal beliefs to the extreme (ie, all LG become Lawful Stupid, all CE because Insane Evil, all CN become Chaotic Jerk). The spell is slowly spreading, plunging cities into chaos (or fascism, or apathy).

Can the party succeed in ending the spell before it overcomes them? Will they even want to end the spell by the time they've reached the source, or will they be too twisted to care?

Fenrazer
2010-06-15, 04:24 PM
For example, trying to give a pit-fiend a hug while it's trying to kill you is stupid, best intentions and alignment be damned.

Extremes? I think you took two of my examples, threw them together and lifted it up about twelve challenge ratings further, and four alignments further as well.

I was just helping a creature pull arrows out. Call it being humane. As for the hugging, I meant the other PCs.

Maybe I should have been clearer.

Dracons
2010-06-15, 04:24 PM
Look at Sam Vimes and Captain Carrot. One could make strong arguments both are Lawful Good, though they express it differently.
I am not saying Captain Carrot is naive, by the way. He merely bends the world around him so it works the way he says it does.

There was a indept description somewhere that showed each famous comic hero as every different alignment and reasons from comics as to why. It's one of the places where the infamous Batman alignment chart first show.

Fenrazer
2010-06-15, 04:25 PM
Oh man. That would be an awesome campaign premise: some kind of cult has cast a massive spell that makes everyone take their personal beliefs to the extreme (ie, all LG become Lawful Stupid, all CE because Insane Evil, all CN become Chaotic Jerk). The spell is slowly spreading, plunging cities into chaos (or fascism, or apathy).

hahahahahahah!:smallbiggrin:

Fenrazer
2010-06-15, 04:31 PM

In the majority of cases, it would require naivety to always assume there is a better way. Superman is a perfect example. Reference the interview from Superman the movie.

Ashiel
2010-06-15, 04:32 PM
Extremes? I think you took two of my examples, threw them together and lifted it up about twelve challenge ratings further, and four alignments further as well.

I was just helping a creature pull arrows out. Call it being humane. As for the hugging, I meant the other PCs.

Maybe I should have been clearer.

It was a hypothetical example. Sorry for the confusion. I was merely cautioning against taking it too far. Saving your enemy's life isn't a bad idea. Doing it while they're actively trying to kill you and your friends might be.

PId6
2010-06-15, 04:32 PM
Really, you could probably justify slitting a guard's throat with almost any alignment (possible exception: LG), and it might be a fun challenge to pick various actions and try to explain them through the lens of all 9. Any takers?
LG: I am the law and you stand in my path. You are obviously an infernal spawn of evil. *Slash* *Slash* *Slash*
LN: My duty to the highest law requires me to do this. You must die.
LE: The laws of my people deem your kind unfit to live.
NG: The greater good requires your sacrifice.
TN: Your death is the most expedient means to my goal.
NE: If I can profit from it, why not?
CG: I break this law in pursuit of my righteous cause.
CN: The voices in my head told me to.
CE: I felt like it.

Dracons
2010-06-15, 04:34 PM
LG: I am the law and you stand in my path. You are obviously an infernal spawn of evil. *Slash* *Slash* *Slash*
CN: It's Tuesday

Fixed the mistake.

Fenrazer
2010-06-15, 04:35 PM
It was a hypothetical example. Sorry for the confusion. I was merely cautioning against taking it too far. Saving your enemy's life isn't a bad idea. Doing it while they're actively trying to kill you and your friends might be.

My bad there fella. We actually weren't fighting him either. Just found him while walking along. It was pretty cool. Had I not botched the dexterity roll while removing the last one, DM said I might have been able to befriend him. Lion and the Mouse kinda thing.

Ravens_cry
2010-06-15, 04:36 PM
Imagine a lawful good character who has this as his code of honour "As the cancer is cut from the flesh, so shall evil be cut from society, with precision and as little blood shed as possible." By sneaking past the guards and, if that fails, dispatching them, lethally or non lethally, so they do not attract more guards who you would also have to dispatch. If the source of the Evil can not be reasoned with, then it must be cut out.
Now I want to play a LG rogue.

Snake-Aes
2010-06-15, 04:37 PM
Yeah, and there goes another alignment thread... :(

What impresses me the most on the disagreement of these values is how people often overlook chaos and evil-good neutrality as excuses to actively harm people. A CN character is not "hearing voices" any more than anyone else that happens to be schizophrenic or a priest. a CG guy won't slit a guard's throat to get into the castle to rob the evil duke's artifact of doom. a ln guy won't kick the dog because the city's rules say so.

PersonMan
2010-06-15, 04:38 PM
CN: I'm getting money for this.

Real fix.

fgaerfgsedgdfgd

Fenrazer
2010-06-15, 04:38 PM
CN:It's tuesday

Hahahah! Ruddy hilarious =-]

PId6
2010-06-15, 04:39 PM
Yeah, and there goes another alignment thread... :(

What impresses me the most on the disagreement of these values is how people often overlook chaos and evil-good neutrality as excuses to actively harm people. A CN character is not "hearing voices" any more than anyone else that happens to be schizophrenic or a priest. a CG guy won't slit a guard's throat to get into the castle to rob the evil duke's artifact of doom. a ln guy won't kick the dog because the city's rules say so.
But the voices in my head told me they would! :smallfrown:

Yora
2010-06-15, 05:15 PM
I once played on a German Neverwinter Nights server that had around 40 players. For some reasons dedicated roleplayers around here seem to strongly prefer high fantasy, so most "good" characters were Lawful Good or Lawful Neutral. There were some groups of of drow, a demon cult, a thieves guild, and a band of Cyric priests, but somehow it seemed that our group of Chaotic Good half-elf rangers was the one most despised by other players. :smallbiggrin:
The evil doers usually kept a low profile because they would just be defeated by about everyone else if they started to cause trouble. As chaotic good characters, we never did anything that made other good characters regard us as enemies, but we had a much lower inhibition to resort to drastic measures and did "the right thing" even if it could offend others. Being a band of vigilantes from the forest who always spoke their minds did not make us popular with the pacifistic town-militia PCs.

ZeroNumerous
2010-06-15, 06:32 PM
My Paladin married a Succubus. Nothing bad happened afterwards, actually.

That has nothing to do with the harpy issue.

Actually it was. Well, the Pathfinder Bestiary harpy. Rawr!

I haven't seen that one yet, but I'm glad it wasn't the MM harpy.

a CG guy won't slit a guard's throat to get into the castle to rob the evil duke's artifact of doom.

Depends on whether the guard is actively evil or merely doing a job.

a ln guy won't kick the dog because the city's rules say so.

In a choice between "Eat this kitten or go to jail" he'll pick the kitten.

Coidzor
2010-06-15, 07:02 PM
In a choice between "Eat this kitten or go to jail" he'll pick the kitten.

Oh man, just as long as it's not an orange one...@_@

I always saw it as more of a "CE: This is the only way I can get off," sort of deal.

Ravens_cry
2010-06-15, 07:09 PM
I haven't seen that one yet, but I'm glad it wasn't the MM harpy.

The picture in the bestiary basically looks like this (http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&q=harpy#/d1ftwo2), but a bit less feral and more human.

Coidzor
2010-06-15, 07:15 PM
The picture in the bestiary basically looks like this (http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&q=harpy#/d1ftwo2), but a bit less feral and more human.
Well, at least he has Lay On Hands for afterward. :/

Ravens_cry
2010-06-15, 07:30 PM
Well, at least he has Lay On Hands for afterward. :/
What else is it for?:smalltongue: