PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder: Trip question

Kalrik
2010-06-15, 03:45 PM
Simple question. A character with greater trip succeeds on his attempt. Does he get to make an attack of opportunity against his target? The description is not specific, reading only that the tripped provokes attacks of opportunity.

A player was interested in playing a fighter/rogue specializing in spiked/weighted chain and thought it was a cool idea. Origional idea, I know. :smallwink:

I'm tempted to agree simply because his character's background and personality concept are fun and having a tripper will not inconvience my game too terribly much. :smallamused: But I do like to know what is correct RaW.

Greenish
2010-06-15, 03:50 PM
Simple question. A character with greater trip succeeds on his attempt. Does he get to make an attack of opportunity against his target?Yes, if he has AoO attempts left for that round. The wording is rather unambiguous: the target provokes attacks of opportunity.

I'll probably be ninjaed while trying to figure out why the tripper wouldn't get the stated benefit from the feat.

Gnaeus
2010-06-15, 03:51 PM
We play that he can, although unless he gets a lot of AOOs, he may have reasons not to (i.e. he gets Aoo when the target stands up, and from movement).

Snake-Aes
2010-06-15, 03:55 PM
It says the tripped triggers an attack of opportunity. This means anyone that threatens his space gets an AoO against him. From there AoO rules apply normally(how many the attackers can make, mostly).

Your tripper boy is going to have combat reflexes if he wants to make any use of those attacks.

Snake-Aes
2010-06-15, 04:02 PM
Well, I wasn't ninjaed, and I couldn't figure out OP's thinking, but I managed to get utterly confused by Paizo's official SRD on Attack of Opportunity: Don't they know their own rules? :smallamused:

All three are fine. #1 is straight: entering a threatened area. #2 is not: leaving a threatened area (the slot where you see the boom icon is threatened by the ogre and the goblin), and then 3# for the same reasons (withdraw only lets you ignore the area you are in when you start it)

Greenish
2010-06-15, 04:04 PM
3# for the same reasons (withdraw only lets you ignore the area you are in when you start it)I noticed. I mistakenly thought that Withdraw doesn't provoke AoO. Oh well.

And figures someone would be faster than me when I make a mistake… :smallamused:

Snake-Aes
2010-06-15, 04:06 PM
I noticed. I mistakenly thought that Withdraw doesn't provoke AoO. Oh well.

And figures someone would be faster than me when I make a mistake… :smallamused:

It's the nature of our game. Frankly sometimes we don't even bother with AOO and movement, just the special triggers like spellcasting and maneuvers.

Kalrik
2010-06-15, 04:09 PM
It's the nature of our game. Frankly sometimes we don't even bother with AOO and movement, just the special triggers like spellcasting and maneuvers.

Agreed. AoO are one of my least favorite parts of the game. We had a situation where a monster used mighty blow, or something like that, to knock our paladin back, which provoked AoO's by the other enemies he flew by. Paladin wasn't happy.

Thanks for all the input! :smallsmile:

Greenish
2010-06-15, 04:12 PM
It's the nature of our game. Frankly sometimes we don't even bother with AOO and movement, just the special triggers like spellcasting and maneuvers.I bet the tripper builds love that.