PDA

View Full Version : Improved familier

DragonsAion
2010-06-15, 05:48 PM
Took the improved familier feat for another wizard of mine (not related to the other wizard i have posted on the board) and was wondering if you all had advice on what i shoud take?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-15, 05:54 PM
Took the improved familier feat for another wizard of mine (not related to the other wizard i have posted on the board) and was wondering if you all had advice on what i shoud take?

Pseudodragon is a favorite of mine, if you can select your familiar feats or use Chaso shuffle or pyschic reformation you can get your own radar :smallbiggrin:

Imp just dor style

I hear Quasit are good but I don'r know

PId6
2010-06-15, 05:54 PM
Familiar's Handbook (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870010/The_Familiars_Handbook_--_2007)

Best ones tend to be Imps and Mephits. If you can switch that to Celestial Familiar, Coure Eladrin are awesome.

Edit: If you have a familiar and Chaos Shuffle, you have infinite feats.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-15, 05:57 PM
Familiar's Handbook (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870010/The_Familiars_Handbook_--_2007)

Best ones tend to be Imps and Mephits. If you can switch that to Celestial Familiar, Coure Eladrin are awesome.

Edit: If you have a familiar and Chaos Shuffle, you have infinite feats.

Care to explain that one please?

Obrysii
2010-06-15, 06:02 PM
I always liked the Eyeball Beholderkin. Partly because it's pretty cool looking (It's a Tiny-sized beholder!), partly because it works with a "paranoid wizard" personality, and then mostly because it can turn melee touch attacks into rays.

PId6
2010-06-15, 06:07 PM
Care to explain that one please?
Familiar is in arm's reach. You gain Alertness. You Chaos Shuffle it into something better. Familiar moves away and comes within arm's reach again. You gain Alertness.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-15, 06:17 PM
Familiar is in arm's reach. You gain Alertness. You Chaos Shuffle it into something better. Familiar moves away and comes within arm's reach again. You gain Alertness.

Ok by RAW i think you are right but I think the RAI is that you only gain the benefits of the feat, not the feat itself...

PId6
2010-06-15, 06:19 PM
Ok by RAW i think you are right but I think the RAI is that you only gain the benefits of the feat, not the feat itself...
And by RAI, Chaos Shuffle wouldn't exist. Meh.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-06-15, 07:26 PM
And by RAI, Chaos Shuffle wouldn't exist. Meh.

Touché.... eitherway I don't think the Chaos shuffle is used except only in highest optimizated games which incidentaly are the type of game I would love to play in...

Now that puts me thinking, IIRC any one with an abyssal inheritor feat changes it aligment to chaotic right? I think I found the best weapon against paladins, monks or prestige class who are required to be lawful :evilgrin:

Snake-Aes
2010-06-15, 07:33 PM
If you're going by power alone, something that can manipulate items is best, like an imp. Lil bastards can shoot around a lot. I think they also have fast healing and invisibility? Something on those lines.

For coolness....use whatever you think is coolest. My duskblade has a tressym :D

Marriclay
2010-06-15, 07:38 PM
For coolness....use whatever you think is coolest. My duskblade has a tressym :D

my gods, those things are so cute!

Flob
2010-06-15, 07:41 PM
....It's Familiar, not "Familier"! /Roidrage
Sorry 'bout that. Grammer Natzi. I have nothing else to contribute.

Amphetryon
2010-06-15, 08:03 PM
....It's Familiar, not "Familier"! /Roidrage
Sorry 'bout that. Grammer Natzi. I have nothing else to contribute.
"Grammer Natzi" is delicious irony, Flob. :smallwink:

AustontheGreat1
2010-06-15, 08:07 PM
See if your DM would OK a living spell. There is a whole prestige class for it if your interested.

Thurbane
2010-06-15, 09:11 PM
For a class without high BAB, Pseudodragon, Quasit ot Imp are about the best. Invest ranks into UMD, and you have a little friend who can sling wands and other items.