PDA

View Full Version : Wow d20 is it good?

lyko555
2010-06-15, 07:23 PM
So i just picked up a copy of wow d20 out of a bagin bin for $10 today ive just finished glancing over the races.

I was just hoping to gleem some playground advice, and see if any one here had tested/played the system. I was hoping to start dming a campain and it doesnt seem to diffrent from dnd.

Voldecanter
2010-06-15, 07:33 PM
In my Opinion Yes , The book and the modified 3.5 system does a good job at emulating the World of Azeroth , the flavor and feel of what Warcraft III and early WOW !

Racial Levels are pretty interesting way to get rid of annoying LA.
Class Paths are an interesting alternative to Multi-Classing into a similar class .

Gametime
2010-06-15, 07:40 PM
I've never played it, but I own the main book and used to skim it for fun. From what I can (vaguely) recall, it's much like normal D&D except there aren't as many game-breaking spells.

I can't offer much more solid advice, though. Lemme look over the book and see if I can get a better handle on it.

lyko555
2010-06-15, 07:40 PM
Is it balanced well? I havnt gotten into looking at the spells section yet.
I love the idea of the racial lvls. and so far the fluff is awsome.

Kaje
2010-06-15, 08:29 PM
Can this stuff be incorporated into a regular game of D&D?

Voldecanter
2010-06-15, 09:08 PM
It can with some tweaks , the Spell craft skills give the PC extra Spell slots , alongside Bonus Spell Slots from Ability Modifier Bonus . Some Skills are Different , but generally from the minor differences , yes everything is mostly exactly the same .

Yora
2010-06-16, 03:19 AM
It's more a campaign setting than an actually new game. But as said, a quite good one.

arguskos
2010-06-16, 03:22 AM
I actually preferred the first Warcraft d20 (yes, there is a Warcraft d20 AND a WoW d20). I felt it was more thematic for the universe. This is of course just my personal opinion, but I do maintain it's worth checking out if you're already interested in Warcraft in a d20 system.

Greymane
2010-06-16, 03:32 AM
I actually preferred the first Warcraft d20 (yes, there is a Warcraft d20 AND a WoW d20). I felt it was more thematic for the universe. This is of course just my personal opinion, but I do maintain it's worth checking out if you're already interested in Warcraft in a d20 system.

So did I, but then again, I have those books and not the newer ones.

Then I realized the wording for the capstone Paladin Warrior PrC lets them one-shot any undead or demon once a day.

It's a joke amongst my friends to this day that Uther was a tool for not employing it.

Delta
2010-06-16, 03:34 AM
I've played it a couple times, but honestly, I'm not really convinced. They tried to pump up the general power level while nerfing the spell lists a little, spell selection and preparation for Wizards works differently, making them a lot more versatile.

Still, I get the feeling it's just far enough from usual D&D so you can't simply include other stuff without checking and adjusting it first, yet not far enough that it really feels like a different system. Personally, I'd prefer vanilla 3.5, or even better, 4e with an Azeroth setting.

arguskos
2010-06-16, 03:35 AM
So did I, but then again, I have those books and not the newer ones.

Then I realized the wording for the capstone Paladin Warrior PrC lets them one-shot any undead or demon once a day.

It's a joke amongst my friends to this day that Uther was a tool for not employing it.
Uther totally WAS a tool. :smalltongue:

I really enjoy a great deal of the content from the WCd20 stuff, and it's very easy to plug-and-play into normal games, but some of it is kinda strong (Lightning Monsoon from Magic and Mayhem is specifically what I'm thinking of here, apply Born of the Three Thunders to it and just lol at everything).

Also, the WCd20 gets the stamp of "this is awesome" for inventing a level 1 spell that can destroy artifacts (Mysterious Purple Blast, with it's material component of, and I'm quoting, "Anything.").

EDIT: That's another point in the WCd20's favor: it is VERY easy to just plug-and-play and use them as another set of 3.5 sourcebooks.

ZeroNumerous
2010-06-16, 03:35 AM

Ironically, Death Knights count as humanoids in WoW.

Greymane
2010-06-16, 03:50 AM
Ironically, Death Knights count as humanoids in WoW.

It's there for balance issues. If they counted as undead in WoW, the Warlocks would complain, the Priests would 'QQ', and the Paladins would have yet another punching bag in the PvP arena.

And it's not a pre-requisite to the Death Knight PrC either, yes, I know. Our argument comes from him being healed by Death Coil and hurt by Holy Light. in Warcraft III ::Coughs::

Uther totally WAS a tool. :smalltongue:

I really enjoy a great deal of the content from the WCd20 stuff, and it's very easy to plug-and-play into normal games, but some of it is kinda strong (Lightning Monsoon from Magic and Mayhem is specifically what I'm thinking of here, apply Born of the Three Thunders to it and just lol at everything).

Also, the WCd20 gets the stamp of "this is awesome" for inventing a level 1 spell that can destroy artifacts (Mysterious Purple Blast, with it's material component of, and I'm quoting, "Anything.").

EDIT: That's another point in the WCd20's favor: it is VERY easy to just plug-and-play and use them as another set of 3.5 sourcebooks.

I completely agree, and that's one of the things I love about it. It's all very useful even if you're not playing a Warcraft Campaign. While I never looked up Lightning Monsoon, I know that Mysterious Purple Blast is the best thing since Prestidigitation.

Draxar
2010-06-16, 05:43 AM
As others have said, fun, the classes are somewhat more powerful and spells slightly less.

Has a bunch of useful alternate class features that can more heavily alter classes – you can take a Shaman (a full caster), and trade in his medium BAB for Good, at the cost of going down to Paladin level casting.

The tinkering system, for making mechanical inventions, is complicated but good and (with some DM oversight) reasonably balanced.

And it has some very interesting Pressed-Cheese classes – the Naga Anomaly gets no BAB or save increases, just three 'mutations' a level, which can be applied to a long list of things (including BAB and saves).

Ashiel
2010-06-16, 06:08 AM
I have the Warcraft d20 book (not WoW d20, but I'll comment on it since it's related), and it's pretty well written, though the Monstrous Manual (I believe was its name) is pretty weak in my opinion; but creature design tends to be rather difficult anyway. Also, apparently Lv 10 in Warcraft 3 = Post Epic in D20 according to the Monster Manual; which makes you wonder why the Lich King doesn't just destroy the world with his bare hands (they have him stated as a level 40-60ish guy who can animate all dead around him without skipping a beat, rend control of and undead near him, and as a free action once per round he can mind blast for excessive Charisma damage with a save in the high 40s-50s if I recall correctly from memory).

It also sports one of the most humorous prestige classes I've seen. Titled The Gladiator, and having nothing to do with gladiators in the lease, the prerequisites for the class are laughably simple (BAB +5, Power Attack, Cleave); and is good for a 1-2 level dip; granting ability to add Str x 2 instead of x 1.5 when wielding 2 handed weapons (so if you have a +4 strength modifier you deal +8 damage with a 2 hander instead of +6).

The books are worth picking up for the lore and setting alone, however.

Ravens_cry
2010-06-16, 06:11 AM
Ah, Azeroth, where the temples have Christmas Trees and people complain when a giant gauntleted/clawed hand from the sky pokes them too much.

Ashiel
2010-06-16, 06:25 AM
Ah, Azeroth, where the temples have Christmas Trees and people complain when a giant gauntleted/clawed hand from the sky pokes them too much.

And where becoming an intelligent undead causes you to forget how to speak your native language; though allows you to speak fluent orcish.

EDIT: For those that don't now, the above is a joke about the WoW MMO; not the actual world of Azeroth. I enjoy playing WoW, but it doesn't have the epic feel to me that Warcraft 3 did.

faceroll
2010-06-16, 06:40 AM
EDIT: For those that don't now, the above is a joke about the WoW MMO; not the actual world of Azeroth. I enjoy playing WoW, but it doesn't have the epic feel to me that Warcraft 3 did.

Warcraft 3 doesn't have the epic feel that Warcraft 2 did. The mission briefings for the orcs were so bad ass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNwR6VpV1Qk

Ravens_cry
2010-06-16, 06:44 AM
Warcraft 3 doesn't have the epic feel that Warcraft 2 did. The mission briefings for the orcs were so bad ass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNwR6VpV1Qk
And then you play the actual game and its seasick orcs and farting ogres.