PDA

View Full Version : Keep on the Shadowfell [IC; Group 2]

Blaine.Bush
2010-06-15, 07:24 PM
Realms, both wondrous and dire, border the world. One such realm is the Shadowfell. Although not inherently evil, the Shadowfell is fraught with dangers, and the barrier between worlds can be thin. Sometimes the darkness breaks into the light.

Nearly two hundred years ago, a cult of the demon prince Orcus purposely created such a gap, connecting one of Orcus’s unholy Shadowfell sites to the world. Skeletons, zombies, and fouler creatures flooded through the rift into the light of day. The empire of Nerath dispatched legionnaires to eliminate the threat. The empire’s soldiers destroyed the undead, sealed the opening, and built a keep to watch over the location and contain the threat. This is the site known as the Keep on the Shadowfell.

Decades of peace followed, and the village of Winterhaven arose within sight of the keep. Eventually, the great fort fell into ruins and its grand purpose forgotten. Today, it is seen as a harmless tumble of stone and wood.

If only that were true.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Each of you travels to Winterhaven for a different reason, but you all find yourselves traveling together upon the same path. The wind is cool and comfortable. The road beneath your feet is level. An occasional ancient cobblestone peeks through the dirt road, indicating decades of neglect. You notice footprints leading up and down the road, many of which were made by small, clawed feet. Out of the corners of your eyes you glance a fleeting shadow, as if of a slight creature.

OOC thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156351
Recruitment thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146192

DSCrankshaw
2010-06-15, 08:03 PM
Travok - Dwarf Battlemind

Travok's mind is not on the road or his companions. Once more, it casts back to the events that led to his self-exile from Hammerfast. With characteristic dwarven stubbornness, it has latched onto the situation and refuses to let go.

When there's movement though, he looks up, briefly curious about what may be out there.

[roll0]

Stegoserious
2010-06-18, 05:32 PM
Corryn Everdock - Halfling Sorcerer

Corryn walked alongside the dwarf, taking quick steps to keep up with his stride, eyes on the road ahead as usual. He looked forward to new opportunities in Winterhaven - people to meet, coin to earn, and hot food and warm beds. A new start is just what he needed right now.

He looked at the travelers around him. He was pleased to have company, and it's always safer to travel in groups, or so his father said. He longed for some conversation, and the big dwarf that walked next to him seemed like his best opportunity, even though in Corryn's experience dwarves weren't the best conversationalists.

"Hey big fella. Where you off to? Think I could get a piggyback?"

DSCrankshaw
2010-06-18, 10:17 PM
Travok - Dwarf battlemind

Travok stares in consternation at his talkative shadow. "Who are you?" he asks.

Stegoserious
2010-06-18, 10:41 PM
Gleeful with the acknowledgement, Corryn begins to chatter.

"Well that's fine of you to ask sir. Where do I even start? Who am I...well, name's Corryn, first off."

Corryn stopped to give a short bow and then sped up his footsteps to attempt to match the dwarf's even gait.

"Of the Everdocks, a sailor, or I was I guess, until the wreck..." Corryn paused as if in deep thought, but it lasted only a moment as he continued, "Now I'm a peddler I guess you could say, which isn't saying much, but you can say it nonetheless. Off to Winterhaven to see what there is to see. Lovely little village I heard, plenty of interesting folk and, if my sources are correct, some of the most delightful wines this side of the hills. Though dwarf as you are you're probably not much of a wine drinker, are you friend?"

Corryn straightened his ratty white tunic, pleased with himself. "What was your name again? My apologies if you told me already and I forgot, I've got a terrible way with names you see, but I promise if you tell me again I'll remember. I'm Corryn by the way. Did I mention that?"

DSCrankshaw
2010-06-18, 10:45 PM

"Yes, you did," Travok says. "Well met, Corryn. My name is Travok, late of Hammerfast." He glances at the halfling. "A peddler, you say. Where are your wares?"

Stegoserious
2010-06-21, 09:24 PM
Corryn - Halfling Sorcerer

"Aha! Quite a keen eye on you there sir. Truth is, merchant life hasn't been so good to me lately. Think it's about time for a new start in Winterhaven! Got a bit of coin, not much you see, but maybe enough to get the ol' business off the ground again! Might pick up an odd job here or there, seein as I got a sturdy back...well for a halfling anyway...years workin the sails on them riverships will do that to a lad. Then you see what kind of trinkets and goodies are about in the villages, you buy em up, and then you take em to another village and turn em around for a small profit! That's the key you see, one fellow's trash is another's treasure, and yet another's tiny turnaround profit. The markup really comes from the transportation. You likely know as well as I do the roads aren't safe around here, and I just happen to be brave enough to walk em! Or dumb enough my pops would say. But I'm guessin there's not much trouble to be had on this little stroll, you seem a mighty capable enough fellow, you sure do."

Corryn paused for a breath for the first time in what probably seemed like hours. "But here I am rambling again. What's your business in Winterhaven if you don't mind me asking? Or did you already tell me that as well. I apologize, I get so caught up you see..."

DSCrankshaw
2010-06-21, 09:36 PM

"No, I did not," Travok says, hesitating for a moment. "My business is simple... I'm looking for work. I figured Winterhaven might need some guardsmen, and I was trained in Hammerfast's militia."

MoriHikari
2010-06-26, 09:40 PM
Amata- Shardmind Psion

Amata watched the other travelers as they walked, obviously studying them.