PDA

View Full Version : Equipment Destruction

Baron Malkar
2010-06-15, 08:16 PM
What are the rules for having your equipment desroyed and ways to prevent said destruction?

Eldariel
2010-06-15, 08:28 PM
What are the rules for having your equipment desroyed and ways to prevent said destruction?

Uh, I assume this is D&D 3e? In that case, certain attacks (Sunder, Rust Monster's Rust, the like) and effects (Mordenkainen's Disjunction and rolling 1 on a Reflex-save against an AoE effect come to mind) can destroy or reduce to worthlessness certain items.

Items have certain hardness & HP, and the attacks have rules for how to determine whether an item is affected or not. If an item loses all its HPs, it is destroyed and thus doesn't provide any benefits to its wielder anymore. Repairing damaged items can be done with the Craft-skill. In Disjunction's game, a Will-save is rolled for each item and then you see whether that item is rendered permanently non-magical or not. That's...about it?

Baron Malkar
2010-06-15, 08:31 PM
Oh, yeah. 3.5e. Sorry bout that.

Where are the rules for rolling a 1 on a reflex save?

Eldariel
2010-06-15, 08:35 PM
Page 177 in the PHB, at the end of "Spell Descriptions"-chaper under "Items Surviving after a Saving Throw". On SRD, here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#savingThrow).

Telonius
2010-06-16, 10:15 AM
Oh, yeah. 3.5e. Sorry bout that.

Where are the rules for rolling a 1 on a reflex save?

Rolling a 1 on any save is an automatic failure (unless you have some specific ability that says otherwise). It's something of a tradition in D&D for some DMs to rule that a natural 1 indicates a catastrophic failure. I don't believe there are any official rules that state exactly what happens, but many DMs have a "fumbles" table for those occasions.

Curmudgeon
2010-06-16, 10:26 AM
If you're worried about equipment breakage, making them sturdier is a good idea. Adamantine or other special material makes an object tougher to break. Magic helps, too: each +1 numerical enhancement to a weapon boosts its hardness by +2 and its hit points by +10. (Enhancements like flaming don't do anything for hardness & HP.)

Races of Stone has rules for dwarvencraft construction, which boosts hardness and hit points in a "better masterwork" fashion. Applies only to metal and stone items.

The Hardening spell (Spell Compendium, pages 109-110) will beef up your weapon with a Permanent (until dispelled, anyway) duration. The Augment Object spell (Stronghold Builder's Guide, page 41) gives a boost to objects, with a duration of 1 day/caster level.

Eldariel
2010-06-16, 12:23 PM
Rolling a 1 on any save is an automatic failure (unless you have some specific ability that says otherwise). It's something of a tradition in D&D for some DMs to rule that a natural 1 indicates a catastrophic failure. I don't believe there are any official rules that state exactly what happens, but many DMs have a "fumbles" table for those occasions.

...I just linked it the part in the SRD and pointed out where in the PHB the rule is stated :smallconfused:

Claudius Maximus
2010-06-16, 12:31 PM
Some monsters can also destroy your equipment with special attacks, sometimes involving the likes of rust and acid. Examples include the Black Pudding (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/ooze.htm#blackPudding) and the dreaded Rust Monster (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/rustMonster.htm).

The Everbright enhancement from MIC will protect your armor from some of these, if memory serves. I'm pretty sure there's a similar enhancement for weapons.

gbprime
2010-06-16, 12:39 PM
If you're worried about equipment breakage, making them sturdier is a good idea. Adamantine or other special material makes an object tougher to break. Magic helps, too: each +1 numerical enhancement to a weapon boosts its hardness by +2 and its hit points by +10. (Enhancements like flaming don't do anything for hardness & HP.)

In my campaign I add to the durability based on the item's enchantment cost. Cheap magic items come and go. Roll a 1 and something gets fried.

The result is that magic items take on extra powers over time. Yes, there's a 150% cost penalty for additional effects and or slot limitations, but that adds to the durability of the item as well.

Plus it's more flavorful. The items the PC's find are often unique. Example... the Fireheart Medallion... an amulet that adds +4 Enhancement to Charisma, functions as a Circlet of Persuasion, and acts as a Runestaff for Charm Person, Eagle's Splendor, Suggestion, and Charm Monster.