PDA

View Full Version : Nolzur's Marvelous Pigments

Private-Prinny
2010-06-15, 09:53 PM
Has anyone actually used this item in a campaign? It seems like a fun one to use, with antics right out of a Wile E. Coyote cartoon.

Need to spy? Paint a peephole. Need to bust down a wall? Paint some cracks, a doorknob, etc. Running low on paint? Make some mundane items and your pigments will pay for themselves.

It seems like it's cool, but very inefficient, especially with the need to sink points into a Crafting skill. What do you guys think?

gallagher
2010-06-15, 10:07 PM
i actually like it, because i can be a-painting outside with regular paints, then create a poison (because it isnt magical) while hiding in plain sight (not the ability, the phrase) and gank someone without people truly noticing. its worked quite a few times.

however, my DM ruled that one cannot create a hole, such as one that would allow me get through a locked door, so the Coyote situation doesnt happen for me :(

it is not as great as shapesand, but this way i dont have to sink too much into wisdom

Private-Prinny
2010-06-15, 10:11 PM
it is not as great as shapesand, but this way i dont have to sink too much into wisdom

I must learn more about this item.:smallamused: What book is it from?

Vaynor
2010-06-15, 10:15 PM
Sandstorm, costs 100gp IIRC and it can become any mundane item small enough with a Wisdom check.

Eurus
2010-06-15, 10:16 PM
I must learn more about this item.:smallamused: What book is it from?

Sandstorm. It's what it sounds like, you can shape it into other objects with a DC 16 wisdom check.

Knaight
2010-06-15, 10:19 PM
It was far cooler in the fairy tale (though not western fairy tale) it first appeared in, though it was a paintbrush. And in various other adaptations of said fairy tale. Still, it is among my favorite items in any game.

nargbop
2010-06-15, 10:56 PM
Take a flat wall. Paint a black square topped with a black hemicircle. Draw some train tracks at your feet. Then draw a single white dot in the center of the tunnel, and dodge.

Raging Gene Ray
2010-06-15, 11:42 PM
Take a flat wall. Paint a black square topped with a black hemicircle. Draw some train tracks at your feet. Then draw a single white dot in the center of the tunnel, and dodge.

DM: A single white marble falls to the floor, alerting the guards to your presence.

Those pigments are like the Wish spell, open to DM interpretation. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MjTb5A68VA) A poison sandwich and a regular sandwich are drawn exactly the same after all.

Another_Poet
2010-06-16, 12:49 AM
I just gave some to my PCs in another campaign for free, except even better because they can be painted in just a round with no check necessary. They immediately sold the pigments to buy scrolls :smallsmile:

Ravens_cry
2010-06-16, 12:59 AM
DM: A single white marble falls to the floor, alerting the guards to your presence.

Those pigments are like the Wish spell, open to DM interpretation. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MjTb5A68VA) A poison sandwich and a regular sandwich are drawn exactly the same after all.
Player: And you know this means war.