PDA

View Full Version : Who wants to help me make an epic assassin?

Jallorn
2010-06-15, 10:27 PM
No I don't mean the class.

So I was watching Hellboy, and I got the idea for a warforged assassin. So I started looking for classes, and advice about those online.

This (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871666/The_3.5_Rogue_Handbook) was the most useful thing I could find. All I got from it was that I'd like three levels of Swashbuckler.

So here it is, my challenge to the playground. Help me build the best warforged assassin. He should be stealthy, but also dangerous in combat.

A few rules, or removals of. No multiclass penalties, I'm not a fan of ToB (nothing against it, just don't like to bother with it), so none of that please. I'd prefer to stay magic light with this build, he should just be naturally skilled, for the most part. Anything I decide is a rule later will be edited in here.

Level 25, using this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5823187&postcount=3) epic destiny, and this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102456) prc.

Here (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=216116) is the sheet, I have already decided on the stats based on a 36 point buy.

Jallorn
2010-06-15, 10:30 PM
Oh, and I'm thinking dual wield Bastard Swords a lot.:smallbiggrin::smallcool:

Fable Wright
2010-06-15, 10:41 PM
... in the movie, they were clearly short swords:smallcool:. For stealth, tone down the warforged body feats (mithril, not adamantine, or maybe even no body feats), but I'd definitely take duel-weapon fighting, and some sneak attack abilities. The assassin class is really something good for that, as he essentially teleported behind stuff and sneak attacked it to death. However, I'd say to take fighter levels, as you could get the deflect arrows feat, 2-weapon defense, greater 2-weapon defense, and the almighty weapon specialization.

Vaynor
2010-06-15, 10:46 PM
Body feats are irrelevant, the epic destiny replaces them.

Jallorn
2010-06-15, 11:46 PM
... in the movie, they were clearly short swords:smallcool:. For stealth, tone down the warforged body feats (mithril, not adamantine, or maybe even no body feats), but I'd definitely take duel-weapon fighting, and some sneak attack abilities. The assassin class is really something good for that, as he essentially teleported behind stuff and sneak attacked it to death. However, I'd say to take fighter levels, as you could get the deflect arrows feat, 2-weapon defense, greater 2-weapon defense, and the almighty weapon specialization.

You misunderstand, I'm not recreating the assassin, I'm just taking inspiration from him. With the Epic feat, I can count the Bastard Swords (as long as I have proficiency) as light. I need proficiency to make them count as single handed instead of two handed.

Fable Wright
2010-06-16, 12:02 AM
I thought it was that you were making a level 1 character growing into that. :smallredface:

Jallorn
2010-06-16, 12:03 AM
I thought it was that you were making a level 1 character growing into that. :smallredface:

Ah, no, Building him as level 25.

Temotei
2010-06-16, 12:25 AM
almighty weapon specialization.

I hope that's a joke or a new feat.

Yitzi
2010-06-16, 01:53 AM
I don't know anything about warforged, but I might be able to give you some ideas for "assassin style".

What I'd consider the best build (going at level 25) for an assassin is:
10 rogue, 5 wizard, 2 epic hero (you said you want to use it anyway, and it'll be a big help), 1 archmage (taking spell power; if you can't get an orange ioun stone you'll need to replace one of the arcane trickster levels with archmage), and 7 arcane trickster. For epic hero, you'll want epic prowess and epic magic.
For your rogue ability at level 10, get crippling strike. Also get the feats deadly precision (gives roughly 12% more damage on your sneak attacks on average), extend spell, persistent spell, and the 3 2-weapon fighting feats, and the epic feats lingering damage and epic spell capacity.
Your primary strategy for assassination will essentially go: Go in under cover of persisted improved invisibility, hit the target with 7 attacks with a pair of +5 brilliant energy weapons (attack bonuses of +26/+26/+21+/21/+16/+16/+11 plus ability and feat bonuses vs. flat-footed touch AC plus natural armor) for a total of 17d6 damage each (9d6 this round, 8d6 next round), which (thanks to rerolling 1s on sneak attack dice) actually comes out to 67+2/3 damage (and 4 STR damage) per attack that hits.
After your full attack, a contingent teleport (that's what the archmage level was for, to get you up to the needed CL 15) takes you out of there. :)

In a straight-out combat, you'd mainly rely on sneak attack, preferably with either improved invisibility, blink, or flanking (or maybe a grapple by summons) to make sure you hit properly (flanking is a bit inferior, as that means it's not vs. flatfooted).

As a variant, if the DM either allows you to make multiple spell touch attacks a round or to release them with trip attempts (and you have the necessary feats), you can trade 2 arcane trickster levels for another archmage and one more epic hero (taking epic warrior), cast a silent chill touch, and use that instead of the brilliant weapons. Not only is it cheaper in terms of equipment, but it ignores natural armor.

Jallorn
2010-06-16, 01:57 AM
I don't know anything about warforged, but I might be able to give you some ideas for "assassin style".

What I'd consider the best build (going at level 25) for an assassin is:
10 rogue, 5 wizard, 2 epic hero (you said you want to use it anyway, and it'll be a big help), 1 archmage (taking spell power; if you can't get an orange ioun stone you'll need to replace one of the arcane trickster levels with archmage), and 7 arcane trickster. For epic hero, you'll want epic prowess and epic magic.
For your rogue ability at level 10, get crippling strike. Also get the feats deadly precision (gives roughly 12% more damage on your sneak attacks on average), extend spell, persistent spell, and the 3 2-weapon fighting feats, and the epic feats lingering damage and epic spell capacity.
Your primary strategy for assassination will essentially go: Go in under cover of persisted improved invisibility, hit the target with 7 attacks with a pair of +5 brilliant energy weapons (attack bonuses of +26/+26/+21+/21/+16/+16/+11 plus ability and feat bonuses vs. flat-footed touch AC plus natural armor) for a total of 17d6 damage each (9d6 this round, 8d6 next round), which (thanks to rerolling 1s on sneak attack dice) actually comes out to 67+2/3 damage (and 4 STR damage) per attack that hits.
After your full attack, a contingent teleport (that's what the archmage level was for, to get you up to the needed CL 15) takes you out of there. :)

In a straight-out combat, you'd mainly rely on sneak attack, preferably with either improved invisibility, blink, or flanking (or maybe a grapple by summons) to make sure you hit properly (flanking is a bit inferior, as that means it's not vs. flatfooted).

As a variant, if the DM either allows you to make multiple spell touch attacks a round or to release them with trip attempts (and you have the necessary feats), you can trade 2 arcane trickster levels for another archmage and one more epic hero (taking epic warrior), cast a silent chill touch, and use that instead of the brilliant weapons. Not only is it cheaper in terms of equipment, but it ignores natural armor.

Eh, too much magic and Arcane Trickster and Archmage are both generally considered subpar, though Archmage has a couple nice abilities for casters.

Khaladon
2010-06-16, 09:53 AM

Movie?? WHAT movie??

Fable Wright
2010-06-16, 10:00 AM
Hellboy. It's an awesome movie. Hellboy 1 only, though.

Jallorn
2010-06-18, 09:23 PM
So I'm going to bump this.

Now vith german accent:

Zo I'm going to bump zis.

eh, needs work.