PDA

View Full Version : First person JRPGs?

Frosty
2010-06-16, 12:41 AM
YEars ago I played a game on the Sega Saturn named Shining: The Holy Ark. The basic gameplay is a very traditional JRPG. You've got 3 to 4 heroes taking their turns and using various abilites on the enemy, you've got random encounters and boss battles, and towns and shops. The catch? The entire game was told from the first-person perspective of the protagonist.

I really liked that and am now looking for other games with the first person perspective with similar gameplay (jrpg style). Can anyone recommend some to me? I've got a PC and a PS3.

Ogremindes
2010-06-16, 12:51 AM
I've 3 for DS and one for PSP... Can you play PSN PSP games on a PS3? if so, try Persona.

Fri
2010-06-16, 12:54 AM
I don't think there are things like that in ps3 or psp, but Megami Tensei series is one of those first person dungeon crawl games. The latest one is in DS

Wizardry series is not jrpg, but it's the first person dungeon crawl rpg series, and it's available in pc.

And it's popular in japan for some reason.

Frosty
2010-06-16, 01:08 AM
I've also got a PS2. Is Persona only for the PSP and not for the PS2?

How does Wizardry play? Is is turn based or real time or what?

Mr.Moron
2010-06-16, 01:08 AM
A couple of older titles come to mind.

Phantasy Star 1
Shining in the Darkness

I've also got a PS2. Is Persona only for the PSP and not for the PS2?

PS2 has Persona 3 and Persona 4. They are both amazing games, some of the best JRPGs I've played in years. However, they're not 1st person.

Persona (remake of 1) for the PSP is 1st person.

Frosty
2010-06-16, 01:12 AM
A couple of older titles come to mind.

Phantasy Star 1
Shining in the Darkness.
What system?

Fri
2010-06-16, 01:13 AM
I've only played the oooold wizardry, from the dos and snes version, but yes it was turn based.

Quick checking into wikipedia said that the latest wizardry is still turn based, though there are continuous turn toggle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizardry_8

Mr.Moron
2010-06-16, 01:13 AM
What system?

Sega Master System and Genesis respectively. So certainly playable if you have a PC.

Frosty
2010-06-16, 01:28 AM
Sega Master System and Genesis respectively. So certainly playable if you have a PC.
But I'll have to set up an emulator? :(

Lord Seth
2010-06-16, 01:32 AM
If you have a Wii, both Phantasy Star and Shining in the Darkness are on the Virtual Console.

Frosty
2010-06-16, 01:36 AM
If you have a Wii, both Phantasy Star and Shining in the Darkness are on the Virtual Console.
I don't have access to the Wii. Also, the graphics are a bit too old-school for me :smalltongue:

Lord Seth
2010-06-16, 01:51 AM
Phantasy Star was also ported to the Game Boy Advance if that matters (though I don't know what changes they made to it during the port).