PDA

View Full Version : Ocarina of Time is getting a remake.

Reshbj
2010-06-16, 01:35 AM
Let the rejoicing begin.

The critically-acclaimed game The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocarina_of_Time) is getting a remake, with full 3D graphics on Nintendo's new console, the 3DS. This game, which came 2nd in the 'Video Game in the Playground' competition, and is often cited as the 'Greatest Game of All Time*' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocarina_of_Time#Reception_and_legacy) is about to get even better...or is it?

I have proof:

http://twitter.com/nintendoamerica
http://au.ds.ign.com/articles/109/1098192p1.html

Worira
2010-06-16, 01:38 AM
That is good, as this game has not been remade enough times.

SparkMandriller
2010-06-16, 01:41 AM
I wonder how many people who think OoT is the best game ever have played it in the last five years.

Reshbj
2010-06-16, 01:46 AM
I wonder how many people who think OoT is the best game ever have played it in the last five years.

I played it not a week ago, and I know at least two people who are still in the middle of it. People at the local university and high school are emulating it. People buy it on Virtual Console all the time.

Surely nobody plays it anymore.

Zevox
2010-06-16, 01:47 AM
...I am torn. On the one hand, it's an actual remake of one of my favorite games ever, on the 3DS. On the other, I still have my Master Quest disk providing me with access to the game via Gamecube and Wii anyway. Ach... decisions...

That is good, as this game has not been remade enough times.
It hasn't been remade ever, actually. It's been re-released via the Master Quest and Zelda Collector's Edition disks, neither of which were ever actually sold on their own (Master Quest being a pre-order bonus for Wind Waker and Collector's Edition being available in bundles with the Gamecube console), and it was released on the Wii's Virtual Console. The only one of those which might qualify as a remake is Master Quest - at least, the titular version of the game, since the disk contained both the original and the Master Quest version - which redid the puzzles in each dungeon to be harder, and that was it.

Zevox

Dumbledore lives
2010-06-16, 01:52 AM
When I heard about this I was all ready to buy a 3DS, just because of this game. Ocarina wherever I want, hell yeah! I am definitely buying this, even if I already have it through the master quest disk, I need this game.

Reshbj
2010-06-16, 01:57 AM
When I heard about this I was all ready to buy a 3DS, just because of this game. Ocarina wherever I want, hell yeah! I am definitely buying this, even if I already have it through the master quest disk, I need this game.

That might be a little bit of an overreaction. There's Starfox 64 too. Ooh, and Shin Megami Tensei.
Er, um...you know what, I'll be in my room.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-06-16, 02:03 AM
Yanno, I didn't really like OoT when it first came out.

My first response: "WTF? They got FPS in my RPG!!!"

I was already kinda ticked about practically everything on the N64 being first-person perspective, to further enhance the 3d aspect, and it took some getting used to just to play the game, since it played like an FPS, but with a lot more involved.

I eventually warmed up to it, but it took me a bit. Was a bit put off that every 'named' female character who interacted with him was wanting to be romantically involved with him. Ruto was just a bit more pushy than the rest.

Zevox
2010-06-16, 02:18 AM
...lolwut? Neither of those genres describes Ocarina of Time. Or any Zelda game, for that matter.

I was already kinda ticked about practically everything on the N64 being first-person perspective,
...but practically no games on the N64 were first-person outside of Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and maybe some other shooters I've completely forgotten about/never knew about. They were all third-person, like most games. Some had the option to go into a first-person view to look around, like Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie, and the like, but that sure doesn't make them first-person games, especially since you generally couldn't move while using that perspective.

Zevox

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-06-16, 02:24 AM
...lolwut? Neither of those genres describes Ocarina of Time. Or any Zelda game, for that matter.

...but practically no games on the N64 were first-person outside of Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and maybe some other shooters I've completely forgotten about/never knew about. They were all third-person, like most games. Some had the option to go into a first-person view to look around, like Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie, and the like, but that sure doesn't make them first-person games, especially since you generally couldn't move while using that perspective.

Zevox

To me, it was first-person. Everything on that damn consol. 3rd person is just first-person panned back.

WHERE DID MY SIDE-SCROLLERS GO?!?!?

No more platforming, no more side-scrolling, no more 3/4 view... BLARG!

SparkMandriller
2010-06-16, 02:25 AM

hhahaha what

banthesun
2010-06-16, 02:29 AM
Meh, call me back when they're remaking Majora's Mask.

In all seriousness, I'll have to see how much they've changed. Twighlight Princess has spoiled me here, as I consider it a OoT remake, and they did the whole remake thing oh so right. So there'll have to be a whole buch of new stuff in this to make me interested.

Reshbj
2010-06-16, 02:53 AM
In all seriousness, I'll have to see how much they've changed. Twighlight Princess has spoiled me here, as I consider it a OoT remake, and they did the whole remake thing oh so right. So there'll have to be a whole buch of new stuff in this to make me interested.

I honestly liked OoT more than Twilight Princess. The quest was longer, the dungeons were better, and the weapons were fun to use. Twilight Princess was actually a bit of a disappointment for me personally.

Athaniar
2010-06-16, 07:20 AM
Ocarina of Time? Yes. 3DS? No. If they remake it for Wii I'll definitely buy it.

Eloi
2010-06-16, 07:26 AM
Hey you got my OoT in my OoTS! But anyway I'm excited for both for the 3DS and re-make. Just...so...giddy *eee* Nintendo is going to take more of my money and make feel happy about it! :smallbiggrin:

Eldan
2010-06-16, 07:29 AM
I honestly liked OoT more than Twilight Princess. The quest was longer, the dungeons were better, and the weapons were fun to use. Twilight Princess was actually a bit of a disappointment for me personally.

Don't forget the bosses. Some bosses in Twilight Princess were pitifully easy.

Hmm. My parents should still have my N64 somewhere, OoT included. So I don't think I need this.

Dihan
2010-06-16, 07:30 AM
Here are some screens:

http://e3.nintendo.com/images/ctr/othergames/zelda/0.pnghttp://e3.nintendo.com/images/ctr/othergames/zelda/3.pnghttp://e3.nintendo.com/images/ctr/othergames/zelda/5.png

It obviously looks better than the original. Hopefully they'll include some new things.

Eloi
2010-06-16, 07:43 AM
Don't forget the bosses. Some bosses in Twilight Princess were pitifully easy.

Hmm. My parents should still have my N64 somewhere, OoT included. So I don't think I need this.

Get it anyway! To wit:
I have Super Mario Bros. on my NES (twice!), SNES (again, twice one was All-Stars without 'World and the other was with World), Game Boy Color (Deluxe), Game Boy Advance (NES Classic), Wii (Wii Emulator Thingie), Computer (Emulator). I own Super Mario Bros. 7-8 times.
I have Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow, Firered, Leafgreen. I own Pokemon Red/Blue five times.
I have Kirby Dreamland, Kirby Superstar, Kirby Superstar Ultra, Kirby Superstar (Wii Emulator thingie) all with the same game.
Finally, I own Final Fantasy (I) (NES), Final Fantasy Origins (PS1), Final Fantasy I&II Dawn of Souls (GBA). So I have that game 3 times.
So if I can own games multiple times, you can too.

Athaniar
2010-06-16, 07:59 AM
It obviously looks better than the original. Hopefully they'll include some new things.
That looks better to you? I don't see it.

Eloi
2010-06-16, 08:31 AM

The graphics are alot sharper and smoother looking.

Gruffard
2010-06-16, 08:44 AM
Neat to know, buying the 3DS might be a bit out for me but I would be interested in the game.

Oregano
2010-06-16, 09:39 AM

Then you're blind.

Oh and Aonuma said that the Water Temple is going to be fixed and the inventory is now touch screen based.

Zevox
2010-06-16, 09:53 AM
To me, it was first-person. Everything on that damn consol. 3rd person is just first-person panned back.

No more platforming, no more side-scrolling, no more 3/4 view... BLARG!
...but none of that makes any sense. Particularly since Legend of Zelda was never a side-scroller or platformer either, but an Adventure game with an overhead viewpoint. Which is just 3rd-person for 2D games.

:smallconfused: Have you forgotten how blocky the N64's graphics were? Because that it is a clear improvement.

Zevox

Eloi
2010-06-16, 09:55 AM
..but none of that makes any sense. Particularly since Legend of Zelda was never a side-scroller or platformer either, but an Adventure game with an overhead viewpoint. Which is just 3rd-person for 2D games.

Have you ever played 'Zelda II: Link's Adventure'? It was a platforming side-scroller.

Zevox
2010-06-16, 10:02 AM
Have you ever played 'Zelda II: Link's Adventure'? It was a platforming side-scroller.
Right, I forgot about that (it and the original are the only two Zelda games I've never played). But it was just one game, and one that seems to be a black sheep among the fandom - the rest were all as I said.

Zevox

Comet
2010-06-16, 10:12 AM
Right, I forgot about that (it and the original are the only two Zelda games I've never played). But it was just one game, and one that seems to be a black sheep among the fandom - the rest were all as I said.

Zevox

Adventure of Link was absolutely amazing. I really don't get all the hate it seems to get. Opinions are a funny thing.

As for Ocarina, I'm pretty sure it was the first proper 3D game I played. I remember being absolutely petrified by all the possibilities, all the planes of movement. Walking along a narrow bridge high on the rooftop of Kokiri Village, running away from a huge boulder, I really had to muster all my persistence to learn how to manage myself in this new non-2D world just to get through the starting area.

The difference, as opposed to Shneekey, was that I found that experience awesome. It really felt like something new and exciting. Good times.

Reshbj
2010-06-18, 02:52 AM
I'm not too sure about the graphics. I had already played Banjo-Kazooie by then, so it was kind of so-so for me, especially Hyrule Castle. Ugh. The later parts looked excellent, though.

On another note, Skyward Sword looks delicious. (http://www.1up.com/media/03/8/2/1/lg/522.jpg)

SlyGuyMcFly
2010-06-18, 05:23 AM
Looks awesome. As long as they change the Dungeons around a bit and maybe shuffle about some Heart Pieces and the like, I'll be a very happy camper.

On another note, Skyward Sword looks delicious. (http://www.1up.com/media/03/8/2/1/lg/522.jpg)

I am 100% behind the graphic style in Skyward Sword.

Closet_Skeleton
2010-06-18, 06:19 AM

There are side scrolling parts of Link's Awakening as well. Usually in the form of short rooms you have to go down ladders to access.

flabort
2010-06-18, 11:02 AM
I, too, am looking foreword to skyward sword.

Interesting to know that thier remaking OoT, though. That's amazing, because my... uh... Mom.... was the only one in our family to make it to the adult stage, and the only one (obvoisly) to make it all the way to the final boss. she couldn't beat that one, but none of the rest of us could make it that far, at all.

So two Awsome zelda games coming out on newer consoles in the near future. I'm so exited, I could do a dance on the roof!

tyckspoon
2010-06-18, 11:26 AM
Oh and Aonuma said that the Water Temple is going to be fixed

The only way to fix that damned place is to place a teleporter right after the entrance that takes you to the dungeon treasure room and then another one that takes you to the boss. The rest of the dungeon can have, like, a Heart Piece and a Developer's Room stuck in it somewhere. Make it a bonus dungeon/easter egg for masochists.

Flechair
2010-06-18, 12:01 PM
The only way to fix that damned place is to place a teleporter right after the entrance that takes you to the dungeon treasure room and then another one that takes you to the boss. The rest of the dungeon can have, like, a Heart Piece and a Developer's Room stuck in it somewhere. Make it a bonus dungeon/easter egg for masochists.

You make the water temple seem bad. It isn't that annoying.. oh what am I saying? Screw the water temple. I'd rather run headfirst into the boulders being rolled down the mountain all day.

tonberrian
2010-06-18, 12:09 PM
Really? I know I managed to roll through the Water Temple, no guides or anything, when I played it. What, praytell, is so bad about it?

Triaxx
2010-06-18, 12:10 PM
You're A) exaggerating the difficulty. It wasn't that hard. Though I think they did get the original and Master Quest versions confused. B) like everyone, forgetting the last key in the center tower.

Raise water to two or higher, sink down and go under the floating block. Everyone seems to forget that's there.

SparkMandriller
2010-06-18, 12:26 PM
It's not that hard, it's just boring as hell. Walking around slooooooowly 'cause of those boots. Having to go in the inventory to switch boots every minute. Raising/lowering the water level and then having to check every area to see what had changed. Getting the worst treasure in the game, and then having to go back and check every room again to find places to use it.

None of the dungeons in that game were all that fun, but at least they didn't take a million years of boredom to get through.

Worira
2010-06-18, 12:26 PM

So are the CDi games.

Zevox
2010-06-18, 12:36 PM
So are the there are no others, citizen. Go back to your fun.
Eh? Odd thing to say there, Worira. Repeat after me: we do not talk about the CDi games. There is no such thing, just as there was never a Zelda cartoon.
Zevox

tyckspoon
2010-06-18, 12:47 PM
You're A) exaggerating the difficulty. It wasn't that hard. Though I think they did get the original and Master Quest versions confused. B) like everyone, forgetting the last key in the center tower.

Raise water to two or higher, sink down and go under the floating block. Everyone seems to forget that's there.

Oh, that's quite true. It's not actually *hard*; water-level puzzles are just not fun. Especially, like Spark said, when you have to travel back and forth between the points that control the water and the points where you actually have to complete the puzzle. And compounded when traveling within or on the water is arbitrarily made much more tedious and difficult than running around normally.

Dihan
2010-06-18, 01:38 PM
It's not that hard, it's just boring as hell. Walking around slooooooowly 'cause of those boots. Having to go in the inventory to switch boots every minute. Raising/lowering the water level and then having to check every area to see what had changed. Getting the worst treasure in the game, and then having to go back and check every room again to find places to use it.

Good job the touch screen will be for the inventory, leaving the top screen solely for the game. Yes, this presumably means that it won't be controlled in the same way as Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks.

Reshbj
2010-06-20, 03:26 AM
It won't be controlled in the same way as Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks.

Confirmed. It was pretty obvious anyway.

Prospekt
2010-09-16, 02:14 PM

Mega Man 9 & 10. "You're Welcome. ~Signed, Capcom"

I always thought OoT was way too easy. Glad to hear they're gonna dumb it down even more. >_>; Darn kids today- back in my day, we had Super Mario Bros., we got our butts kicked at it, and we liked it! It'd be nice if Hyrule Field wasn't taken literally (as in, actually had things to do in it, as the overworld should be the most exciting part of a Zelda game), and if maybe an extra dungeon or two were thrown in. I agree with changing the Water Temple solely because I've mostly memorized every nook and cranny, so I need a new layout to work with so I don't beat the game in one day. Again. It'll probably just be a graphical upgrade, though. Prove me wrong, Nintendo, I'm still a loyal fan.

Ignition
2010-09-16, 02:38 PM
More Ocarina of Time is always good :smallbiggrin: I liked OoT, Link to the Past, Adventure of Link, and Legend of Zelda all pretty much equally; I got tired of the newer ones and the GameBoy ones, though.

To me, it was first-person.

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it does :smallwink:

Lord Seth
2010-09-16, 06:03 PM
WHERE DID MY SIDE-SCROLLERS GO?!?!?The handhelds.

Makensha
2010-09-16, 06:39 PM
I never finished OoT (spent a week trying to find my way through the Water Temple). I wish they'd at least make ONE Majora's Mask remake.

Trazoi
2010-09-16, 06:42 PM
I don't mind an Ocarina of Time remake, although I'm not sure I'll pick it up. I already own the original three times due to all the Gamecube promotional discs.

I also don't remember the Water Temple being particularly hard, save that the first time I completed it I didn't know you could get that blue tunic that allowed you to breathe underwater beforehand. That complicated things to a degree.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-09-16, 06:46 PM
Meh, I actually liked the Water Temple.

And I already knew about this, but it didn't stop me from squeeing. Zelda's one of my favorite series.

Although I must admit that I preferred Majora's Mask over Ocarina of Time, and Wind Waker's about equal to it. (What? The art style was perfect for it!) And yes, I am waiting very eagerly for Skyward Sword. I'm going to have to buy a new Wii for it though, since I'm going to college next year and the family Wii was destroyed in a flood a few months back...

Inhuman Bot
2010-09-16, 08:42 PM
Cool. This is one of the few Zelda games I liked. :smalltongue:

Triaxx
2010-09-16, 09:19 PM
I liked the Water Temple in OoT. I didn't like the MM water temple, at least until I found out (6 years after first beating the game) that you could Hold A and continue swimming instead of just a single burst. *grumble*

Rae Artemi
2010-09-16, 09:40 PM
I liked the Water Temple in OoT. I didn't like the MM water temple, at least until I found out (6 years after first beating the game) that you could Hold A and continue swimming instead of just a single burst. *grumble*

I, on the other hand, have never been able to get into the water temple in MM because I am deathly afraid of giant eels. I was even afraid of the one in Super Mario Sunshine.

Garland
2010-09-16, 11:09 PM
Remake it in Wind Waker's art style!!

Also, don't shoot me!

fknm
2010-09-16, 11:19 PM
Oh and Aonuma said that the Water Temple is going to be fixed.
So, they're ruining it? The Water Temple was the best part of the whole game, with only the Forest Temple coming anywhere even close.

Then again, OoT was the last passable Zelda game (admittedly, I haven't played Twilight Princess, Minish Cap, or Spirit Tracks), so I guess this will be a large step up for the series. I still have nightmares about how awful Majora's Mask was...

Mewtarthio
2010-09-16, 11:36 PM
I still have nightmares about how awful Majora's Mask was...

You... what?!

http://www.zeldawiki.org/images/9/93/Mask_Salesman_rage.gif

How? How could you say something like that? How?!

TheLaughingMan
2010-09-16, 11:47 PM
I still have nightmares about how awful Majora's Mask was...

Ocarina is boring, and I'm sorry I ever played it.

See, I can break your mind too. :smalltongue:

Level8Mudcrab
2010-09-17, 01:24 AM
I think i'll get this. It'll be nice if they change around a few things, like make the dungeons a bit harder though.

Zeb The Troll
2010-09-17, 01:26 AM
Troll Patrol: Thread locked for being dead once already. You may start a new one and link this one if you're so inclined.

TheLaughingMan
2010-09-17, 09:40 AM
...Um, sorry? I was just joking.