PDA

View Full Version : Elan's backstory (Contians speculation an OoPCs spoilers)

Procyonpi
2010-06-16, 02:10 AM
So the recent plot has had me thinking some about Elan's backstory, and I've been realizing that of all the members of the order, (except for Belkar, who Rich said he didn't give a real backstory because it would make him less funny), we probably have the least complete backstory for Elan.

I mean we know that his Taraquin left in to be raised by his Chaotic Good barmaid mother, and then, suddenly... he's working for Sir Francolis! That's a pretty big leap if you ask me. I mean even with V, we have a basic narrative that runs from birth to the present... Born to ranger parents, apprenticed to Aarindarius, then kicked out to gain practical experience. Anyways, I know in the intro, Rich said there was at least one major event in a Character's past that he chose not to portray because it would be "central to the main plot" or something like that, and I'm beginning to think it has something to do with Elan. Thoughts?

Thor Person Guy
2010-06-17, 02:43 PM
I don't think his character needs a backstory. We know he spent his first 15-20 years with his mom, (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0050.html) then he went to Bard Camp at some point, (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0126.html) and he's probably spent the rest of his life up till now hopping from one adventurer to another. This is supported in On The Origin Of PCs where, when Sir Francois abandons him, he cries out "Not again!"

What makes him such a fun character is his ditziness. If a more in-depth backstory were to be added, it would change the way we view him, potentially ruining him in the process. Besides, he already got character development back in Azure City.

TimelordSimone
2010-06-17, 03:39 PM
Anyways, I know in the intro, Rich said there was at least one major event in a Character's past that he chose not to portray because it would be "central to the main plot" or something like that, and I'm beginning to think it has something to do with Elan. Thoughts?

I assumed this referred to V's family. "Now I will kill your children" wouldn't have had as much impact if we had already known about their existence.

Almaseti
2010-06-17, 08:36 PM
We did always know V was married, but I don't think knowing about the kids would have ruinedthe impact. The surprise, maybe, but not the impact.