PDA

View Full Version : The Will of the Superintendent

Emperor Ing
2010-06-16, 05:18 AM
You were known among your people, you may have even been one of the best warriors among them, but it matters not because your stories are all the same. While alone you looked upon the robed figure of a humanoid. The robe hid its face in the same manner it hid its feet and hands. What is not hidden is the great gleaming emerald held out in the hands of this creature. As you approached it, its pull became almost magnetic until the last thing you remember is being sucked into the emerald.

You wake up in a dusty old prison cell, among you are three other people you have never seen before in your life. Something does not seem right as you still have all your equipment with you.

The Great Skenardo
2010-06-16, 06:10 AM
Farasim Eyres
Farasim sits up abruptly, his tall, lean frame tense as his dark eyes scan the cell in which he finds himself. With a soft clink of chainmail, the man with the leathery, sunbeaten skin rises to his feet, his motion fluid. For a moment, he wavers, one sinewy hand straying to the hilt of a shortsword at his waist as his eyes scan his fellow prisoners, and he backs away from them carefully until he rests against cold stone. He side-steps to the front of the cell, dividing his attention between peering out of the cell and watching his cellmates with his dark, piercing gaze.

Looking at him, you would suppose that the man before you was a hunter or an outdoorsman of some kind; his clothing is travel-stained and weathered, mostly skins, leather, and coarse, durable cloth in drab shades of brown and green.

Emperor Ing
2010-06-16, 06:23 AM
Outside the cell it is little more of the same. Dusty floors, extremely rusty cell bars, and old ruined stones tell you this dungeon is old. Extremely old. And judging by the dust accumilated in the dungeon cooridor leading to your cell nothing has been through here in...years. This begs the question, how did you get here?

Ditto
2010-06-16, 08:55 AM
Laen Odel

Laen comes-to with his hawk nipping gently at his chin, thoroughly agitated and keenly aware of the fact that she has no idea what just happened. The elf waves off his familiar and stands, smoothing his robes and straightening his headband as he takes in his new location. "Well met, sirs. Do - er - do any of you know how you came to be here?"

Siriq
2010-06-16, 11:54 AM
Siriq Duval

Siriq slowly sits up and rubs his head trying to remember how he ended up in jail. Did he drink too much? He stands up and starts to stretch as he looks around the room and the occupants. Noticing the condition of the cell and its surroundings he starts muttering to himself. “Damn wizards, you get drunk and start having some fun, and BAM they teleport you to some random place as a practical joke. Next time I see a wizard I am just going to….” Remembering that there are other people in the cell he stops stretching and the muttering. “I do not know how we got here good sir, but from the looks of things I think we should just break out.”

The Great Skenardo
2010-06-16, 12:48 PM
Farasim
The gaunt man frowns, watching his cellmates carefully once more. Mentally, he tries to fit their frame with that of the cloaked man with the emerald, but then he shakes his head.
"No," he replies, finally. "I know not why nor where."
He dares to take his eyes off of the strangers for a moment and squats at the door to the cell, his eyes searching more closely for any remnants of footprints or signs of passage, then pauses and looks at the floor inside the cell, attempting to evaluate the level of dust.
[roll0]

Emperor Ing
2010-06-16, 01:25 PM
The dust shows absolutely no sign of anyone having walked through it for an extremely long time, extremely being the key word here because judging by the level of dust, nothing, noone has neither been in or out of here for an extremely long time, the only thing showing signs of having disturbing the dust being your active cell-mates.

You also note the door itself being extremely rusty.

The Great Skenardo
2010-06-16, 01:41 PM
Farasim
Farasim frowns at that. He glances at his own clothes, looking for a similar level of dust, then shakes his head. It was as the other said; wizardry, or something like it. Carefully, he stands near the very rusty door. Before risking touching it, he takes a moment to listen, hoping to catch some sign of air movement, or perhaps the sound of running water.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Siriq
2010-06-16, 01:42 PM
Siriq

"Hmmm." After briefly thinking things through and realizing he does not like to sit around and think about stuff, he slowly walks over to the door of the cell and just tries to push the door open with no real force.

Emperor Ing
2010-06-16, 02:27 PM
The air stays stale with inactivity, and the dust level on your clothes is nowhere near the level on the ground. Unless your clothes are already dusty the only dust that should be on them is what is picked up in your cell.

Farasim believes that there should be a door at the far end of the corridor that either leads to a main junction or the exit. Either way it may or may not be trapped, and considering the age of this dungeon what traps were in place may or may not still work.

Siriq's push is met with the equal resistance of the locked cell door, however it appears that whatever strength the door used to have has been consumed by the rust.

The Great Skenardo
2010-06-16, 03:06 PM
Farasim
After a long moment, Farasim grunts and turns to Siriq.
"There is a doorway at the hall's end, I think. That will be our way out. No man has trod this place for untold years, so I think we may risk a little noise to gain our freedom." He brushes a few flakes of rust from the door with his gloved hand, then sets to examining it, looking for a weakened point.
"After that, I do not know. But I think first, we should glean what we can from each other."
He straightens.
"Farasim, I am called, when men have cause to name me. I know not why anyone should wish me imprisoned, nor what sorcery was used to bring me here. I come from the western reaches."

Siriq
2010-06-16, 03:41 PM
After staring at the door a few seconds Siriq turns to face Farasim. He gives a brief smile breaks through is scarred face. “Hmm. I did not think about the noise caused by breaking down the door. I am Siriq of the clan Duval from the north.”
Siriq turns back to the door and takes a few steps back. He then bends over and make sure his boots are tight. Standing back he comments. “You might want to stand back.”
He stares at the door for a second and with his considerable strength tries to kick the door where it meets lock.

Strength
[roll0]

Siriq
2010-06-16, 03:47 PM
strength
[roll0]

Emperor Ing
2010-06-16, 03:54 PM
Siriq's leg aim slips and he hits an extremely solid part of the bars at an awkward angle, sending a brief shock up his legs (harmless) from the impact of the blow.

The Great Skenardo
2010-06-16, 04:02 PM
Farasim
Farasim nods to the battle-scarred veteran, and stands back. He observes the failure without reaction.
"Easy. You're strong, but place your effort with more care. Kick near where the rust is most gnawed."

Ditto
2010-06-16, 04:40 PM
Laen

"I am Laen, an enchanter from the Great Sourthern Forest. After Siriq fails to punch through the bars, Laen holds up a hand and says, "Allow me. If you'll stand clear-" He gestures at the joints of the door and casts Shatter.

Yeah, so I decided we have a directional theme going on. Malfunctioned's Katsu had better be from the Eastern Something-or-other! :smalltongue: Has anyone seen him lately?

Also, Shatter is probably overkill but it's one of my favorite spells, so I won't turn down a chance for it to be useful!

Emperor Ing
2010-06-16, 04:45 PM
((I think Malfunctioned's in a funny time zone.))
Laen touches the lock, and it flies off the rusty door, flying into the next cell and landing in the snow of dust. Much of the surrounding metal bends outward into the hallway. The door can now be openned.

Ditto
2010-06-16, 04:50 PM
Laen steps into the corridor and looks down the length of it, trying to get his bearings and see if there are any further clues as to where they are. "There we go. Now... the last I remember is seeing a robed figure weilding an emerald which apparently transported me here. I am curious as to his aims in this act..."

Y"know, I only just realized this game is brand-new today. Getting my threads mixed up, heh. He's not late at all!

Emperor Ing
2010-06-16, 05:01 PM
((Considering we're already encroaching the 2nd page, i'd beg to differ. :smallwink:))

The hallway appears to go down a long way past many cells until it becomes just walls on both sides. You see a wooden door at the end of it. The dust stirs at your feet as you leave obvious footprints.

The Great Skenardo
2010-06-16, 05:09 PM
Farasim Eyres
Farasim flinches as the magic spell shatters the rusty metal, but he starts to move fluidly once more, following the elf with the strange hawk into the hallway. He ignores the speculation for a moment and takes a moment to ensure that the other cells here are empty as well.

Emperor Ing
2010-06-16, 05:10 PM
The cells are much like the hallway, barren and dusted with age. There is nothing of interest in them.

Siriq
2010-06-16, 07:07 PM
Siriq rubs his leg after the failed attempted to kick the door down. He starts muttering to himself again. "Stupid rusted door, stupid wizard putting me here..."
Composing himself he walks through the now open door, and growling at the door in the process. He then turns his attention to the enchanter. "Thanks for opening the door laen. So, you’re a wizard huh...." Siriq tells himself several times that it’s not laen fault. "I am guessing you don't have anything to do with this." Siriq walks up to the wooden door and exams it.

search
[roll0]

Malfunctioned
2010-06-17, 02:13 AM
The small thin man that had previously been sitting almost innocuously in the corner of the cell stood up. He was bald and carried only the clothes he wore, that being a thin tan coloured vest and trousers.
"We leave here? Yes?"

Emperor Ing
2010-06-17, 04:10 AM
It's a door, it's wooden.

However it also seems to stand out in stark contrast to the rest of the area. While this dungeon looks like it has whitstood centuries, the wooden door looks no more than a decade old.

And there are no traps that you could find.

Siriq
2010-06-17, 12:10 PM
Siriq frowns at the door. The fact that the door is newer than its surroundings worries him. Siriq then turns and frowns at the rest of the group. “It’s new. I do not like this.” He then notices that the smaller man has awoken and joined them. “Morning.”

The Great Skenardo
2010-06-17, 01:59 PM
Farasim
The tall, gaunt man stands quietly by, also regarding the door with mistrust.
"I mislike it too. But robbed of another way out, we must go forward or remain here."
He reaches for the handle, to open it.

Malfunctioned
2010-06-17, 03:05 PM
"It is morning?" Katsu looks around the cell and walks over to the door and then back to others in the room.
"Door is wood, not stone. Stone strong, wood weaker. We hit, door break."
He mimes hitting the door in case the others did not catch the meaning of his words.
Just so you know, Katsu does not actually talk like this, it's a form of obfuscating stupidity, until he begins to trust the others.

Emperor Ing
2010-06-17, 04:16 PM
Farasim grips the door handle, and it opens easily. No traps go off so it can be assumed the door is not trapped.

However any traps would be actually preferred to what is on the other side.

Anyone looking through the threshold sees a clean wooden floor and stone walls. Multiple wooden chairs and tables dot the room.
The smell of alcohol is faint but obvious as the occupants of these tables are not only alive, but lively. On the far end of the tavern in the corner is a bartender who glares at you inquisitively behind the face of a human-sized purple dragon. Only after this do you note the patrons of the tavern. Goblins. Kobolds. Dark Elves.

Malfunctioned
2010-06-17, 04:55 PM
"Better we did not break, it is seeming."
Katsu attempts to back away from the doorway whilst also looking to see if there is anything out of the ordinary about the tavern (Aside from the obvious of course).

[roll0]
[roll1]

Emperor Ing
2010-06-17, 05:01 PM
Besides the fact that the bartender and patrons are of unusual races, there is nothing unusual that you don't already know.
Eh?

Siriq
2010-06-17, 07:55 PM
Siriq looks around the room and shrugs. He does not feel the need to start a fight unless he needs too. He looks around the room and tries to size up any threats.
search [roll0]
spot [roll1]

Ditto
2010-06-17, 09:15 PM
The elf steps to Farasim's side and whispers to the group."Confidence, dear fellows." Laen steps into the taproom to get a better look at the establishment so incongruously connected to an ancient dungeon. He looks to the doorway as he passes through, curious if the structures matched on either side of the door or if it appeared as if something more magical were linking the locations. He moves toward the bar at a leisurely pace and inclines his head to draw the attention of the barkeep. Not that he hadn't already been watching him as he crossed the room.

[So our group is an elf, two humans, and... didn't catch Siriq's race.]

Siriq
2010-06-17, 09:27 PM
[So our group is an elf, two humans, and... didn't catch Siriq's race.]

Im also human.

The Great Skenardo
2010-06-17, 09:44 PM
Farasim
Farasim halts at the doorway, peering with alarmed eyes at the host of patrons laid out before them. Calculating odds, he doesn't reach for his shortsword, nor the mighty longbow across his back, but instead nearly lingers at the doorway. Lacking the elf's trusting nature, he clears his throat.
"Well met, all of you. Can four strangers find welcome here, or should we take our fellowship elsewhere? Will you serve our kind here?" This last is directed to the purple dragon behind the bar.

Emperor Ing
2010-06-18, 05:23 AM
The biggest threat Siriq can find is a lightly armored drow who's looking at the group curiously and the draconic bartender itself.

Upon Farasim's comment, the patrons looking at you beckon you to come on in with benign jestures and comments.
That depends, d'ya carry gold?

The Great Skenardo
2010-06-18, 06:24 AM
Farasim
A little more at ease, Farasim takes a more circuitous route to the bar, keeping a wall to one side. At the barman's question, Farasim shrugs carefully. "No, not gold. But a few coins, anyways," Ever cautious, he doesn't wish to brag of his wealth to a dragon.
"Enough, I hope, for a drink and maybe some news. A cup of wine, please, if the cost is reckoned in copper. "

Emperor Ing
2010-06-18, 09:05 AM
The dragon's electric blue eyes turn to behind the bar, then back at Farasim.
One cup'll be 5 coppers, and most people just walk straight here, not around the building.

Siriq
2010-06-18, 09:59 AM
Siriq
Considering the bartender’s words, Siriq turns and looks back at the dungeon and then back to the tavern. He shrugs. Not feeling as threatened as he did a few moments ago, Siriq walks up to the bar, takes a seat and orders.
“Greetings bartender, I will have a mead.”

Malfunctioned
2010-06-18, 01:21 PM
"For me it shall be water."
Katsu smiled brightly as he walked through the centre of the tavern.

Emperor Ing
2010-06-18, 02:51 PM
Some of the patrons look at you curiously, one looks pretty annoyed, but nothing at all seems to tell you these creatures are hostile.
Mead's 5 copper pieces a bottle, water's one.

The Great Skenardo
2010-06-18, 02:59 PM
Farasim
Farasim hands over five copper coins, mutely. He didn't handle a lot of money, and he was usually loath to hand over things for service goods, but he could recognize the wisdom of the investment here.

As he waits for the wine to be poured, he thinks over something the barman had just said. With a frown, he moves back to the door the group had just come from, and opens it slightly once more, looking through.

Malfunctioned
2010-06-18, 03:23 PM
Katsu fishes around in the small bag attached to his cloth belt until he draws out a copper coin.
"Thank you dragon-sir!"
He bows slightly and then moves Farasim as he inspects the door.

"Like I say, is wood, is door. Do not think it is anything else."

Siriq
2010-06-18, 03:29 PM
Siriq
Siriq quickly lays out the 5 coppers for the drink and 2 coppers as a tip on the bar. “There you go good sir.” Siriq picks up the bottle and looks at it oddly. He has never drunk mead in a bottle before, only from a mug. He shrugs and takes a big swig from the bottle. Mead is mead.

While Siriq enjoys his bottle of mead he looks around the tavern searching for the name of the establishment, and taking note of what is on the wall.

Emperor Ing
2010-06-18, 05:48 PM
Farasim recieves a water-colored beverage which while not looking impressive has that strong wine taste. Upon examining where the dungeon was, Farasim learns that....it's the same dusty dungeon.

Katsu recieves the water. It is clear and water-like and does many other water things.

Siriq finds the mead tastes like mead is supposed to. The wall ornamentation includes unusual but cheap looking pieces of art. Mostly depicting what has to be the landscapes of someone's imagination most of the time. The occasional glowing crystal which seem to provide illumination for the establishment, something you have likely never seen before can be seen commonly. One sheet of metal depicts the name of this establishment as AX3 Watering Hole.

Your welcome, now please tell me, what the hell?

The Great Skenardo
2010-06-18, 05:53 PM
Farasim
Farasim nods to himself, then returns to the bar, carefully. "Crudely put, but a good question. Where is this, please?"

Malfunctioned
2010-06-18, 06:04 PM
Katsu drinks some of his water and steps back towards the bar-tending dragon.
"We are being as puzzled as you are being. We wake up into the jail-cages. We walk out and are in deep dungeon-cave. We see door and open door. This is where we enter from door. We see Dragon-Sir with the drinkings and so we get some of our own. We inspect door again and then walk here and I explain what has happened."
The small man takes another drink of his water and again smiles at the dragon.

Emperor Ing
2010-06-18, 06:38 PM
The dragon looks at Katsu confused, likely by his strange speech patterns.

That's strange. Few humans on A-Ex-Three, and even fewer come to A-Ex-Three without knowin' they're going to A-Ex-Three. Even stranger, how the 'ell did you get into the dungeon? I can understand you openning it from the inside, but I have so many locks on that door a master lockpicker wyrmling would die of old age before he/she could pick 'em all.

Siriq
2010-06-18, 08:29 PM
Siriq looks back and forth between katsu and the bartender during their conversation while enjoying his mead. He then turns to the bartender and bluntly says: "I am just as confused as you are. I remember drinking, and a wizards, and then waking up in the dungeon." Siriq then finishes his mead in a couple of large gulps and buys another tipping 5 copper this time around. "So, what is A-Ex-Three?"

Emperor Ing
2010-06-19, 07:23 AM
Siriq recieves another mead promptly.
What's AX3? You're standing on it.

The Great Skenardo
2010-06-19, 07:27 AM
Farasim
Farasim sips his somewhat sour wine-drink, then sets it on the bar once more.
"I see. What kind of a place is this, though? Are we far from the western reaches?"

Emperor Ing
2010-06-19, 07:41 AM
The dragon looks at Farasim with a confused expression.
The western what?

The Great Skenardo
2010-06-19, 07:53 AM
Farasim
Fighting down panic, the gaunt, travel-stained man takes a deep breath.
"Then we are far from home."
He leans against the bar, looking moodily at the assembled creatures.
"Which way is out, please?"
As he talks, Farasim takes a moment to think, trying to remember if he's ever heard of a place with a name as outlandish as this one.
[roll0]

Emperor Ing
2010-06-19, 08:19 AM
Although you remember much about geography back home and around the material plane, to your memory you do not know of any lands of places who have names that seem more like numbering codes.

The dragon turns to a door on a wall perpendicular to the door to the dungeon entrance.
There. It then turns its gaze downward in a suprisingly humble expression, for a dragon. Look, i'm sorry, but i've never been to the Mainland, so it might be a region there, I dunno. You're from the mainland?

The Great Skenardo
2010-06-19, 08:24 AM
Farasim
Mulling over the implication of "Mainland," Farasim shrugs.
"Could be. What can you tell me of this place?"

Emperor Ing
2010-06-19, 08:35 AM
The dragon shrugs.
AX3 is one of the hundreds of islands off the mainland. We're a little bigger than most, but that's probably because we've accomplished incredible innovations like...building underground! But of course I can't explain it well, why doncha see for yourself? Most of you mainlan'ers don't understand the islands well enough until you've seen 'em yourself. Check out the surface too while you're at it.

Malfunctioned
2010-06-19, 10:33 AM
"Islands yes? That is much good! I am of being from islands, big group of them are in east my home."
Katsu looks round to others of his group.
"We are going to see island yes?"

Emperor Ing
2010-06-20, 09:30 AM
Which island are you from?

Malfunctioned
2010-06-20, 05:39 PM
"Kinina. It is small, though big mountain of rock and stone. Monastery on top. It is nice, lots of monks like me. Is this near? I am being afraid I have not been of travelling far."

Siriq
2010-06-20, 07:47 PM
ooc: sorry i was on vacation over the weekend.

siriq
Siriq listened intently to the conversation with the bartender and the rest of the party. He briefly thinks about the implications of what the bartender said, while drinking his mead. He has no idea what is going on but its just another problem he has to get himself out of. He then turns to the party:
"I agree kastu, we should gather more information so we can solve this problem. I would personally not want to be around here too long." He then mutters to himself "nothing is ever easy." He then finishes his second mead.

The Great Skenardo
2010-06-20, 08:35 PM
Farasim
Farasim nods, thoughtfully.
"Then... there are ships that go to the mainland from here, yes? If we may, we should book passage and head home."
He addresses the barman once more.
"Are there such ships?"

Emperor Ing
2010-06-21, 05:00 AM
The dragon looks even more confused than before. What's a ship?

The Great Skenardo
2010-06-21, 05:38 AM
Farasim
Farasim pauses, now, thinking hard. It couldn't be that the barman was simply obtuse, could it? He ran a bar, so he doubted it; at most, he would have odd ideas about foreigners or basic biology, but not to have heard of ships...?
"Let's put that question another way, please; What exactly lies between this island and the 'mainland,' and what's the biggest city on the mainland you can think of, please? I think we must be misunderstanding something here, and I'd like to get to the bottom of it."

Emperor Ing
2010-06-21, 05:47 AM
The dragon changes to an expression where you're pretty sure it thinks you are stupid.
We're a mile above the mainland. Everybody knows that. It's a good thing too, huge poverty and violence in there.

The Great Skenardo
2010-06-21, 05:59 AM
Farasim Eyres
Farasim's eyes widen for a moment, and then he looks down into his winecup, as if seeking some oracular truth there.
"I... See. Anything a visitor to this island from another might need to know in particular, by chance? Local figures, hazards, geographical features...? I think we're visitors now."

Emperor Ing
2010-06-21, 06:26 AM
The barkeep's annoyance is displayed by its expression turning into an irritated glare.
For one, it is a mile above the mainland.
*sigh*
Second, watch your step. It's an open cavern and while you may not fall onto the mainland, it's not a pleasant fall nontheless.

Ditto
2010-06-21, 08:56 AM
Laen

Hoping the barkeep might be mollified by a different line of questioning, Laen interjects, "What's the story on this area in the rear? The dungeon door into your establishment didn't appear locked when we came through, and it seems like no one's been through there in ages."

Emperor Ing
2010-06-21, 11:08 AM
*sigh* Yeah, long story to that dungeon. As i've said before you might be able to open it from the inside but the next time someone closes that door you ain't gettin' in without telep...of all the places you could've poofed to...

Siriq
2010-06-21, 11:35 AM
Siriq

Siriq looks back at the door from which we came and then looks back at the bartender. He feels the same way; of all the places they could have been teleported. He looks down at his now second empty bottle, sighs, and shakes his head. He looks back up at the dragon.
“You have been very helpful, and this is extremely frustrating on both our parts. I just realized that we do not know your name. I am Siriq.” Siriq places another ten copper on the bar and asks for another drink.

Emperor Ing
2010-06-21, 11:45 AM
I'm Yeldir. He sees Siriq put up the other 10 CP for more mead. Your funeral, suddenly actually using the dungeon is beginning to look more and more like a good idea. The dragon reaches under the bar and pulls out two more bottles of mead.

Siriq: Make a fortitude save when you drink the mead.

Siriq
2010-06-21, 12:01 PM
OOC: lol i guess im getting drunk, knowing my luck this is going to suck.

Siriq

Siriq raises an eyebrow at the remark and glances back at the dungeon.
"I can handle my mead, and I do not start fights. So, i wouldn't worry about it."
He takes the second bottle and pours it into an empty water skin, and then starts drinking from first bottle.

fort
[roll0]

Emperor Ing
2010-06-21, 12:09 PM
((....wow...I am in awe...Fun fact: the save DC was 10. =\ ))

Siriq is feeling quite buzzed and is having trouble maintaining focus, yet his belief in his abilities is still intact
Siriq takes a -1 circumstance penalty on all rolls except saving throws.

For your sake I hope so, and by the way the bar is this way.

Siriq
2010-06-21, 12:24 PM
ooc: lol i knew it.

Siriq

Siriq is feeling quite happy and is not as worried as he was a moment ago. Enjoying the feeling, he decides to finish the rest of the mead. He then starts making small talk with the dragon about nothing in particular. "You know your a good guy, and I try to stay on the better side of the law, is there any odd rules i should know about. I was in a ddungeon earlier and i would prefer not to go back."

Emperor Ing
2010-06-21, 12:28 PM
Some idiot a century ago made cleaning the walkways between midnight and 1 o' clock illegal, and the smuggling of Force Dragons into this island is also illegal.

Siriq
2010-06-21, 01:11 PM
Siriq

Laughing out loud at the ridiculous rule about cleaning.
"That is a goofy law. I remember one from where i am from and i learned the hard way. Apparently one is not aloud to launch chickens from a catapult. Funny story, my friends and I though it would be funny to make this old man think chickens could fly so we started launch them past his window. Amazing fun, totally worth the 2 days in jail."

The Great Skenardo
2010-06-21, 03:21 PM
Farasim Eyres
Farasim can see that they're collectively getting on the barman's nerves, and so he nods to the strange purple dragon creature, and starts to stride for the door, meaning to get outside to take a look around.

Emperor Ing
2010-06-21, 04:51 PM
((You roll almost as poorly as I do! Almost....))

Farasim notes that the purple dragon, although it's obviously a dragon, has a slghtly more humanoid posture.

You look outside and see an enormous open cavern complex. All around you you see enormous rock columns with webs of illuminated walkways not unlike the one stretched out ahead of you. Along these columns and on the walkways you make out the unmistakable shapes of hundreds of buildings dotting the wide open space. Along this way you see thousands of humanoid and nonhumanoid figures moving about, a few flying. At first you think they're dragons but there's few dragons you know of with wings that move that fast, 6 limbs, and an absurdly plump tail.

It's also illegal for drunk humans to scare customers away from purple dragon bartenders.

Siriq
2010-06-22, 10:55 AM
Siriq
Siriq briefly looks around and notices Farasim headed out the door. He shrugs and says, "Well it looks like we are leaving, thanks for the mead." Siriq stands up and follows Farasim out the door.

Malfunctioned
2010-06-22, 11:44 AM
Katsu notices his acquaintances leaving, finishes his water and places the cup back onto the bar.

"Thank you Dragon-Sir! That water was being very refreshing!"

He then follows Farasim and Siriq outside.

"This is not like island from home. Back home we have sky.

Emperor Ing
2010-06-22, 01:38 PM
Were you listening? I said we're underground. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

The Great Skenardo
2010-06-22, 03:52 PM
Farasim
Farasim steps outside, such as it is, and moves to the side of the doorway, looking upwards, and then at the menagerie spread out before.
"A city, then," he says, softly. "That is ill. We know so little, and our ignorance makes every being out there dangerous. I had planned to make my way above, to get some sense of how the land lay and make camp, but it seems as if we shall have to think on our feet."
He turns, his brown eyes gazing over each of you with a scrutinizing expression.
"I mean to make my way home, or at least to somewhere close enough like it. What will you do?"

Ditto
2010-06-22, 04:03 PM
Laen

Joining the other displaced fellows at the entry, Laen nods to Farasim. "Home would be optimal. We may need to seek out the emerald caster who brought us here, or at the very least another who is learned in such magics as might return us to our point of origin."

Siriq
2010-06-22, 09:09 PM
siriq
Siriq nods in agreement. "I dont get kicked out of bars at home. We are going to have to find a place to stay at some point. We should look out for an inn of some sort closer to the surface." Siriq then stretches a little and Yawns.

The Great Skenardo
2010-06-22, 10:34 PM
Farasim
Farasim frowns. "Wizards? I hear that they don't work miracles cheaply. I am not a man of wealth, you see." He shakes his head. "I'm afraid that I couldn't pay to have the travel reversed."
A pause, as he sizes up the cavern once again.
"But you know," he says, a faraway look in his eyes.
"It has been long since I've ventured from the Western marches, and I can at least survive in any land I've ever encountered. Perhaps the travel will do me good."

Emperor Ing
2010-06-23, 01:41 PM
Yeldir leans back in the bar, and stretches out his wings briefly before bringing them back in.
Eh, the surface? Go up in the columns, all the way up. You'll get a better idea where you are.

Siriq
2010-06-24, 02:25 PM
Siriq

Not wanting to stand around staring at the amazing city they have found himself in, Siriq starts heading towards the column to follow the bartender directions.

Emperor Ing
2010-06-27, 06:57 AM
Siriq finds himself surrounded by this city, and the tavern itself strewn out of rock, with the nearest column to it being the one directly in front of him.

((where is everybody?))

Ditto
2010-06-27, 09:30 AM
((Just distracted and a little lost, apologies.))

Laen

The elf joins Siriq in his exploration, wondering if a trip to the surface might answer any questions about their location and arrival.

The Great Skenardo
2010-06-27, 06:49 PM
Farasim
Farasim followed close on Laen's heels, pausing every now and again to run his fingers lightly over the surface of the stone walls and steps as they ascend the column to the surface.

Emperor Ing
2010-06-28, 07:44 AM
The column is easy to get into as entrances are blocked by little more than an open archway. A spiral staircase ascends along the column, occasionally taking a break at a floor, where a few kiosks selling a few odds and ends are found. The kiosks are manned by members of the unusual humanoid races, most of which are little more than suprised to see humans.

Farasim finds the rock walls to be very rocky.

The Great Skenardo
2010-06-29, 06:28 PM
Farasim
Fighting the urge to break into a sprint, Farasim continues to climb the column, hunting for the feel of daylight or fresh air on his face.

Emperor Ing
2010-07-01, 09:06 AM
((WHERE ARE YOU GUYS?!?))

After a significant climb and much exaustion, you get to a door that leads out to the surface. You appear to be in the middle of an enormous forest that stretches along the dirt road in front of you as far as the eye can see...until it suddenly stops what you assume to be thousands of feet ahead of you. The air is quite chilly and the loud wrestling of the leaves audible above you signify it is quite windy as well, but the weather seems tolerable at worst at the moment.

Ditto
2010-07-01, 09:18 AM
((Climbing to the surface uneventfully, it seems. Hooray exploration! Honestly, I think we're just kind of lost in this world and trying to get our bearings. In my mind that starts with looking around and realizing yes, we're on a floating mountain island, but then we'll have to figure out who can help us, be it a mage's guilde or a historically minded bard who knows about the dungeon or... does this place have a tourism office? :smallconfused:))

Laen

"So this is the top of the world, eh?" Laen says as he spies the edge of the woods in the distance. "I wonder if anyone bothers to stay around up here." He sets off down the path, hunting for his first look over the edge of AX-3.

The Great Skenardo
2010-07-01, 09:19 AM
((I'm about. Farasim has priorities which Rely on getting to someplace where he can make a camp; a secure place to foray from into this strange and frightening milieu.))
Farasim
The grizzled wanderer breathes deeply the fresh air above. It was cool, but bracing. And it was nice to see trees again. Thinking carefully, He looks at the leaves. The dirt road was a puzzle. Were there other columns? Did other people travel this way? It seemed odd, given the subterranean species in the city below. This, rock 83 or whatever it was.
He wished now he'd had the chance to ask about the size of the place in the bar, but caution was best.
Without a word, Farasim starts down the dirt path, determined to take the measure of the woodlands. Here was where he could survive, most likely.

Emperor Ing
2010-07-01, 10:12 AM
The woodlands are quite tall, with the trees being most of what is out of the ordinary. The leaves are blue tinted with some sort of glow around it. It looks natural, but strange. Nevertheless, they are trees doing tree things.

Laen peers over the edge over something greater than a cliff, it is if he is looking down at the enormous map of a strange land, white-tinted and with small and sparse clouds below you obscuring your view of the land mass. At no point are you able to see the cliff meet up with the ground what has to be miles below you, in fact the rocky cliff seems to funnel downwards away from where it should be.

The Great Skenardo
2010-07-01, 10:18 AM
Farasim
Farasim purses his lips, joining Laen of the east by the cliffside. He wouldn't believe it if he wasn't seeing it, but there it was, the earth spread out below them. He spends a few moments trying to get oriented; to figure out where in the world they hover above. He picks up a stone from the ledge and tosses it, watching it fall from his vision to the ground below.
"It's a strange business, to see so much of the world all at once; a year's wandering done in an instant."
he shakes his head slowly, then returns to the path. Thinking, he takes a moment to search for tracks and sign. It couldn't hurt to know if strange beasts or civilized folk went this way recently or often.

Siriq
2010-07-01, 11:33 AM
Siriq
When Siriq reaches the top, he is amazed at the sight he sees. Coming an area that is mostly plains, he marvels at such tall tree. He just stands there for a moment to take in the sight. He follows Laen and Farasim to the side of the cliff, and is some what confused by what he sees. He shrugs and turns back to the road.
"Well, from point of view we have two options: Find a place to camp or find come sort of civilization. I would love to explore this forest in more detail i have never seen anything like it. But i have traveled enough in the wilds to know to be cautious."

Emperor Ing
2010-07-02, 06:24 AM
You notice two additional things. One, a dirt road seems to go around the edge of the island, and you're not sure how you missed this before, but in the sky are hundreds of other such islands. Enormous cone-shaped masses of land with what looks like habitable enviroments on top of them. Everywhere you look you see dozens of them, each one at different heights.

The Great Skenardo
2010-07-02, 07:16 AM
Farasim
Farasim's eyes fill with wonder as he finally spots the armada of floating islands. This place was so very much unlike home. It was partly exciting, partly terrifying.
"There is much to be seen here. There must be a way to the other islands..."
For the moment, though, He gestures into the woods.
"I can establish a camp, and then we'll determine our next move. This is dangerous ground we tread!"
Using his survival instincts, Farasim looks for a relatively sheltered spot not easily visible from the road that might be a good place to camp.
[roll0]

Emperor Ing
2010-07-02, 07:23 AM
During Farsim's search for a camping spot, he finds a small clearing flanked by rock protrusions and shrubbery. Needless to say it would be a great camping spot....of course you can also try sleeping in that inn that's like...right there.

The Great Skenardo
2010-07-02, 07:31 AM
Farasim

Humor me. This might seem kind of ridiculously cautious to you, given how benign you know the place is/isn't, but Farasim is out of his element here, and he's trying to get himself to a secure place from which he can start to figure out the world here. Part of that means shunning large inns as dangerously full of particularly strange strangers.
It's bad enough, from his perspective, that he's currently saddled with people he does not know. Given how quick the Southerner was to sink into his cups, Farasim doesn't particularly want to just wander into a bar full of drow and whatnot without somewhere to run away to if things go sour.
Caution, that's the key. It may be kind of tedious for you, but to Farasim, it's Essential to start that way.

Now, when you say, "Right There," is the clearing, in fact, occupied by an inn?

Emperor Ing
2010-07-02, 07:36 AM
Off to the side of the clearing right next to the road, Farasim sees a wood and brick building, and by investigating the front ot it he can tell it is an inn.

The Great Skenardo
2010-07-02, 09:34 AM
Farasim
The veteran traveler smiles. This was proof positive to him that travel between the islands in the air was routine. Why else would there be an inn on the surface? He recalled that the denizens of the bar below had taken it for granted that being "ported" places could happen. He didn't see any bridges, and he hadn't spotted anyone gliding from rock to rock. Perhaps it was all done by magic? If a mountain could fly, why should one not expect similar wonders?

He lingers in the clearing, thinking it over.

Emperor Ing
2010-07-04, 10:08 AM
After a bit of watching, seeing what he believes the floating mountains move amongst each other, he catches the silohette of an enormous winged figure heading in his direction, until it turns abruptly to land a ways off from Farasim's location. Conversely, Farasim is finally able to make out the silohettes of hundreds of dots moving between the mountains at a constant rate. Focusing on the ones closer by, Farasim spots what looks like a boat...a flying boat, what he thinks is a dragon, and 2 or 3 insectiod figures.

The Great Skenardo
2010-07-04, 11:49 AM
Farasim
Watches the skies for a bit, cataloguing what he sees.
"This is a fantastic land. Dragons fly the skies here, and other things besides. We are the outsiders here, but maybe we shall risk this inn; I would guess they see outlandish types here, and if we can all stay sober then we may learn things to our advantage."

Emperor Ing
2010-07-05, 12:41 PM
((I'm getting kinda tired of asking where everyone else is.))

Siriq
2010-07-06, 11:41 AM
Siriq

Siriq ponders for a second about how he missed the inn that is clearly there. When he sees the flying ships he is confused about how such a thing is possible. Then again magic has transported us here why wouldn't everything else be magical in this world. He turns and looks at farasim.
"I would always vote to stay in an inn. You may be robbed in an inn but having someone killed in an inn is generally bad for business. If you insist I will not drink too much."

He then turns to the inn and looks for a sign that indicates the name of the place.

Emperor Ing
2010-07-06, 11:47 AM
The name of the inn is written in a colored sign above the doorway reading "THE NOCTURNAL SENTINEL"

Siriq
2010-07-06, 11:52 AM
Siriq

Siriq ponders the name for a moment. Not really coming up with a reason that name would bother him heads in.
Siriq yells to the others.
"Ill see you guys inside."

Emperor Ing
2010-07-06, 02:13 PM
Inside the inn seens not unsimilar to the tavern from before, however this being less crowded. You see 3 armored figures at one table and a lizardman who seems to be very frightened by you for unexplained reasons. It's plainer than the tavern, but also cleaner. Behind the counter is some sort of quadruped insectoid creature.
A human?

Ditto
2010-07-06, 02:25 PM
Laen follows Siriq inside, raising an eyebrow curiously at the insectoid creature. "Greetings. Do you have any rooms available for the night?"

Emperor Ing
2010-07-06, 02:27 PM
The bug shifts slightly backwards. With slight panic in its voice it says: ..who are you and what is your business on AX-3?!

Siriq
2010-07-06, 02:30 PM
Siriq

Siriq gives a brief smirk as he considers the remark. I guess humans are uncommon in these lands, but are known. I should keep my guard up in here.
He walks up to the bar and takes a seat.
"Indeed, I am human. I would like some wine. If you will serve me."

Ditto
2010-07-06, 02:37 PM
Laen raises an open hand in an unthreatening gesture. "My name is Laen Turil. I am a traveller passing through, in search of a mages' guild." Seeing the bug's reaction, he continues: "Am I causing you some distress? I assure you it is uncalled for..."

Emperor Ing
2010-07-06, 03:17 PM
The bug shakes its head slightly before refocusing on Siriq.Soooo...Wine you said?
The insectoid arms reach under the counter, where it seems to be pouring a drink. Afterwards it places a glass of wine on the counter itself.
That'll be 5 coppers.

Make a Sense Motive check

The Great Skenardo
2010-07-06, 04:06 PM
Farasim
Farasim followed quietly in his companion's wake, looking to profit by observing the inn's reaction to them as a whole. As it is, he stands quietly, a tall, swarthy shadow behind the group, listening and watching.
[roll0]

Siriq
2010-07-06, 05:23 PM
Sense motive
[roll0]

Ditto
2010-07-06, 05:38 PM
Sense motive for Laen: [roll0]

Emperor Ing
2010-07-06, 07:43 PM
Laen, and only Laen, senses there's something shifty about the bug. Whatever it is, he wouldn't wanna drink that wine.

Ditto
2010-07-07, 08:20 AM
Eyeing the bug, Laen steps beside Siriq and lays his hand on the cup. "Oh, I don't think you should have spirits right after coming out of the heat, Siriq. Better that we get situated and lay down our burdens before feeding ourselves. How about those rooms, sir?"

Emperor Ing
2010-07-07, 08:27 AM
The bug looks to the side before turning back to the glass of wine. It takes out a bottle and a funnel, setting it off to the side for now. Fortunately they look completely benign. Ehm...1 gold for the night...each.

The Great Skenardo
2010-07-07, 11:49 AM
Farasim
The woodsman frowns.
"That is a very heavy price for one night's lodging."

Siriq
2010-07-07, 11:55 AM
Siriq

looks up at laen from his seat and then scrutinizing the bug a little more.
"I suppose your right. The travels have been tiring." He returns his focus on the bug. "1 gold you say, that seems a little steep."

Ditto
2010-07-07, 12:09 PM
"Come now, travellers, let us not be stingy. A fine establishment such as this merits our gold. I'll cover the cost, and we'll tuck off to our lodgings." Laen draws a few gold from his pouch to pay for everyone, hoping to get into private for a moment to share his unease with the innkeeper.

The Great Skenardo
2010-07-07, 02:32 PM
Farasim
Farasim glances at Laen, startled at his willingness to pay such high prices.
"You may spend your money so, if you wish. But..." He glances at the inkeeper.

Emperor Ing
2010-07-08, 05:39 AM
The bug glances about again, before pointing to the stairs that I forgot to mention are next to the counter. They lead both upstairs and downstairs.
Your rooms are up the stairs, I assure you they're of at the least decent quality. Enjoy your stay. nervous pause Also are you going to drink the wine?

Siriq
2010-07-08, 11:07 AM
Siriq

"I am afraid my friends are right if i drink right now i will become sick." Hands over the 5 silver "For the inconvenience."

Siriq takes a key and heads up to the rooms.

Ditto
2010-07-08, 11:22 AM
((You haggle over the price of the room, and then pay the innkeeper 10 times what the wine was worth... after not drinking it? Your accountant must be very confused.))

Following after Siriq, he takes hold of his shoulder and whispers to him once they are up the stairs. "I would not accept any food from our host, Siriq. I am confident that the wine he offered you would have made you sick, at the very least, but possibly something more sinister. We should be on our guard in this place... perhaps Farasim was wise to scout out campsites..."

Siriq
2010-07-08, 11:52 AM
(the wine was 5 copper, even if its over price its not that expensive. that reminds me i need to update my character sheet with the money ive spent. also i have a ring of sustenance i only need to sleep 2 hours :P )
Siriq

Siriq turns and faces laen.

"Thank you for the warning, I am not very perceptive of the intentions of others. I would agree that this place has some very shift occupants, but I would like to rest in a bed. After this night I will not care where we sleep, but for now all the crazy wizard things have made me sleepy. I will sleep cautiously tonight and I will hope the same for you. Maybe we should discuss our plans for tomorrow before we retire. "

The Great Skenardo
2010-07-09, 12:36 AM
Farasim
The lanky woodsman follows as far as the base of the stairs. In sotto voice, he informs them, "My heart misgives staying here. There is too much unknown. Maybe I am overcautious, and slow to trust, but I don't think I shall sleep soundly under a roof tonight. Shall we be resolved to meet here in the morning? If you must leave the inn at night, I shall not be far away. Good night."
With that, Farasim turns and leaves the Inn by the front door, nodding cautiously to the insectoid creature before making his way outside to the woods.
It shall be cold at night up here. But It is safer; truth be told, I know too little about these new people I travel with to trust them to watch whilst I sleep. In the morning, we shall see.
With that, Farasim seeks out a relatively sheltered spot in the woods and constructs a lean-to of canvas and rope, masking it where he can with leaves. Carefully, he wraps himself in his bedroll and dozes fitfully, his long knife never far from his side.

Emperor Ing
2010-07-09, 06:42 PM
The bug nods off as Farasim goes to the outdoors to sleep. Farasim will find that it has indeed cooled off and not much has changed in the ways of the outside. He will also notice that one of the closer floating mountains that is, from his perspective, the size of his clenched fist has drifted in front of the setting sun, casting a shadown on this "island." He is not sure how long until either the island drifts away or the sun moves below the mountain. Nevertheless, it is windy so Farasim may have some difficulty.

Survival check

Amidst the discussion of minimizing risk against the rather shady occupants, everyone seems to forget that the strange bug creature they are discussing is literally a few feet away from them, able to hear everything they say. I...I assure you as long as you keep the peace I will personally do my best to return the favor. The bug then takes the funnel from the counter and places it over the bottle, which it uses to pour the wine back into the bottle. All the aformented materials are then placed behind the counter and you can hear the sound of running water.
And I can refund you for the unused room, no trouble. The bug then, rather hastily, places both a glass half-empty with light reddish water as well as a single gold piece on the counter. It then takes the glass and you hear the sound of it pouring it out, and more running water.

The Great Skenardo
2010-07-10, 06:46 AM
((sorry I've been a bit slow a'post, but I'm moving house, so packing, unpacking, etc))

Survival check

[roll0]

Amidst the discussion of minimizing risk against the rather shady occupants, everyone seems to forget that the strange bug creature they are discussing is literally a few feet away from them, able to hear everything they say.

Oh, surely you can give our characters a [I]little credit here? the conversation was at the foot of the stairs, and at least two of us specified we were whispering. It's not a stretch to suppose that three intelligent adults wouldn't be discussing suspicions loudly in front of the bug.

Ditto
2010-07-10, 10:21 AM
Siriq takes a key and heads up to the rooms.

Following after Siriq, he takes hold of his shoulder and whispers to him once they are up the stairs.
How are we still right next to the bug? :smallconfused: He *might* have heard Farasim whispering, but all he said is 'I don't want to stay here tonight.'

Emperor Ing
2010-07-10, 03:33 PM
((Hmm, I seemed to have missed it. Very well, he didn't hear a thing. ))

Siriq
2010-07-12, 11:15 AM
(i was wondering what time of day it is?)

Ditto
2010-07-12, 11:34 AM
((It's dusk. The sun is setting behind another floating mountain.))

Emperor Ing
2010-07-13, 06:36 AM
((so...can I get IC posts? ))

The Great Skenardo
2010-07-13, 06:49 AM
Farasim
The lanky woodsman spends some time wrapped in his bedroll, just listening to the sounds of the faintly fluorescent forest around him. It was a strange, uncanny place, and his mind wanders to touch upon the strange robed man and his emerald. Farasim supposed he must call him enemy, but thus far he had simply been placed in a new land to survive in.
He shifts a little, closing up a cold air leak. Where to go tomorrow? they could try and gather information from that insect creature, perhaps, but Farasim wondered if there wasn't a better place for it. You never knew with cities that saw a lot of visitors; there might be a place just for that.
Which actually brought him to another point; he would have to find out who ruled here and how. He wasn't prepared to assume that people simply teleporting into the city would be welcomed.
Too many questions, but one could take it slowly.

Ditto
2010-07-13, 09:33 AM
Laen

After talking with Siriq, Laen makes his way to his room and holes up for the night. His hawk keeps an eye on things while he is trancing, and he spends the remainder of the night studying his spellbook before moving downstairs in search of Siriq and Farasim in the morning.

((Sorry to be slowing things down, but I'm going to be away until next Saturday after tomorrow. Please autopilot Laen insofar as you're able...))

Emperor Ing
2010-07-13, 10:03 AM
This just leaves Siriq and the bug to their own devices. The bug is the first to talk to Siriq. It's exoskeleton face is incapable of giving off tell-tale facial features, but its emotions are best displayed in its voice, which shakes with both fear and anger. What do you want?!

((I will be assuming direct control. ))

Siriq
2010-07-13, 11:08 AM
siriq

Siriq looks at the bug for a moment wondering why he is acting they way his is. There must be a reason why everyone that sees a human is scared of them.
"Oh sorry for zoning out there for a moment, its been a long day. I am curious why do you sound upset at the very idea that we are in your establishment?"

Emperor Ing
2010-07-13, 01:52 PM
The armored figures don't seem to care, but it's pretty obvious why.
Why wouldn't I be? From behind the counter the bug pulls out a large crossbow and points it at Siriq. It has a unique design, mainly in that there is a large block close to where the bolt is held, but it seems to function as a crossbow nontheless. I'm not going anywhere with you. You can't make me! Panic, obvious panic.

Siriq
2010-07-13, 02:09 PM
Siriq

Raising up his hands in an attempt to look less threatening.
"Hold up there hard shell! I am not here to take you anywhere. I have no idea of who you are or what you are, and I dont care. Why dont you put your little crossbow down, and continue with your duties as a bar tender." While im talking i am slowly moving towards the door.

diplomacy
[roll0]

Emperor Ing
2010-07-13, 02:13 PM
Stop it, stop it! Stop trying to trick me! I'm not going back do you hear me?! NOT. GOING. BACK!! Take one more step closer to that door and i'll cut you down without a second thought. The bug is obviously very frightened at this point as its visibly shaking. The armored figures have turned their attention to the drama however. Fortunately they don't seem to have brandished weapons.

Siriq
2010-07-13, 02:27 PM
Siriq

After a short considering of his options he decides to keep talking. He has a feeling they may easily turn into a fight, and would wish to avoid it for now.
"Seriously, I am not here to take you anywhere! IF YOU DONT LOWER YOUR WEAPON AND LET ME LEAVE THINGS WILL TURN OUT BAD FOR BOTH OF US! I dont want that, and neither do you. Things look like they are going good for you, do ruin it by being stupid and attacking an innocent man."

diplomacy
[roll0]

Emperor Ing
2010-07-13, 02:57 PM
You slaughtered my hive and sold me into slavery! 13 years, 13 long years I worked under your kind, building your dwellings and suffering from your constant abuse. I would rather die than go back, and if I take a human with me than it was worth it.

Siriq
2010-07-13, 03:07 PM
Siriq

Siriq smiles widely. Ah, so thats why he hates humans. Calmly siriq says "Well then, are you going to shoot or yell at me all night? I have my answer and I am going to exit this place and leave you to your life." Wondering if he will actually shoot, he just stares intently at the bug waiting for something to happen.

Emperor Ing
2010-07-13, 03:17 PM
The bug stares at Siriq for a minute before it grabs the crossbow...at an unusual angle. ...fine. You win. And it turns the crossbow around, aiming it at its own head. I can't deal with the pain anymore anyways.

Siriq
2010-07-13, 03:26 PM
Siriq

"Hey, now dont go ruining your own life. I am not going to tell anyone anything and I am not here to take you back. Just put the crossbow down and continue on like nothing happened. I am going to leave and never come back. I swear on my mothers life."

Siriq backs up to the door and leaves as quickly as possible.

Emperor Ing
2010-07-13, 03:45 PM
Siriq is, despite the bug's threats, able to leave the inn without incident. However it doesn't take long before he hears a faint *splortch* coming from inside.

Siriq
2010-07-14, 11:11 AM
Siriq

Siriq sits down for a moment to try and clear his mind. Going through what just happened in his mind, he can not figure out how that could have turned out differently without direct action. Convincing himself that it was in no way his fault, he stands up and searches for Farasim.

search
[roll0]

Siriq
2010-07-14, 11:14 AM
fixed roll for search check

[roll0]

Emperor Ing
2010-07-14, 11:37 AM
Siriq finds that the conditions that Farasim had to experience are not much different. The sun has set underneath the island and only a few orange flickers of light in the sky keep it from being completely night-time. The wind rustles on your clothes and through the faintly florescent trees that seem to be slightly brighter in the darkness.

After a few minutes of searching Siriq is able to find Farasim.

((37 on a 290-sided dice? :smalltongue: ))

The Great Skenardo
2010-07-14, 11:43 AM
Farasim
Farasim hears Siriq coming, his time-tuned senses picking up footfalls of a man not particularly trying to be quiet. He frowns at that, and readies his bow, putting an arrow to it before warily climbing to his feet and beginning to circle the noise, quiet in the gloom.
Upon spotting the wandering warrior, the ranger pauses in thought. That was rather sooner than he expected to be sought. In any case, he relaxed his grip on the bow somewhat, and with an upraised hand, steps into Siriq's line of vision.
"Do you look for Farasim so soon? What do you want?"

Siriq
2010-07-14, 12:11 PM
Siriq

Siriq frowns and calmly says "The bartender was not well in the head, and I did not feel it was right to stay. So, i decided to sleep out here. Sorry for interrupting you."

The Great Skenardo
2010-07-14, 12:14 PM
Farasim Eires
Farasim frowns, his lined and leathery face showing concern as Siriq speaks.
"I see. I was right to be cautious, then." a Pause.
"And what of the others? The elf, and the rich man?"

Siriq
2010-07-14, 12:31 PM
Siriq

"I just left as soon as i could, he was going to shoot me with a crossbow and then he decided to shoot himself instead. I left before that could happen. It was very disconcerting and i was not thinking strait." He face fills with concern as he relives the account in his mind. He shudders. "I dont know if i can go back there."

The Great Skenardo
2010-07-14, 12:35 PM
Farasim
Farasim's eyebrows shot up in surprise.
"Shot-... Can this be true? That insect-creature shot itself with a crossbow? Is it dead?
He sets his jaw, and puts a sinewy hand on Siriq's shoulder.
" Come, tell me all, and tell me quickly!"

Siriq
2010-07-14, 01:02 PM
Siriq

Siriq then tells farasim what happened.

The Great Skenardo
2010-07-14, 01:14 PM
Farasim
Farasim listens intently as Siriq tells his story, his eyes troubled.
"This is ill news," he says, at length. "I don't know what this portends. And you say that the men in armor made no move?" Farasim looks up at the trees overhead, as if searching out an answer from them.
"You did well to leave, then. We humans must be a rare breed here indeed, if you are the first human he's seen in all the time it took to start and run an inn here. The need for caution is doubled, if we can't walk in a crowd unmarked." He adds privately to himself If indeed it occured just as you say.
Farasim says nothing absolving nor condemning Siriq's handling of the situation, but instead paces restlessly, his mind working hard.
"The others... what of them? They did not follow? Did they witness what happened, and did you warn them before you fled?"

Siriq
2010-07-14, 01:22 PM
Siriq

"No, I left as soon as i could. Although I could have though I saw that mage's bird flying around. I am not one that is good with words there was no way I could have talked him out of shooting me or himself. Maybe I should go back and warn the others."

The Great Skenardo
2010-07-14, 06:16 PM
Farasim
Farasim merely shakes his head in the gloom.
"It has been what, minutes since you left the inn? You'd be delivering spoilt warnings. Let us take a roundabout way and observe from without. If they've followed you, we'll find them."

Emperor Ing
2010-07-15, 06:51 AM
Did I mention that the inn does have windows? This would be possible.

The Great Skenardo
2010-07-15, 08:32 AM
Farasim
Taking this for assent, Farasim quickly breaks camp once more, leaving only faintly packed earth as a sign that he was ever there in the luminescent gloom.
Moving on swift feet, the ranger travels through the woods in a circular route to arrive at the forest around the inn, seeking to observe through its windows what is inside...

Emperor Ing
2010-07-15, 08:37 AM
Farasim sees the interior of the inn as he would expect it to be, however it seems empty at the moment save the lizardfolk seen leaving and walking in the direction of the pathway opposite of Farasim. Although it seems empty at the moment, it is equally as likely that if there are some people inside, they're concealed by the blind spot of the window itself.

The Great Skenardo
2010-07-19, 06:34 AM
Farasim
Hmmm.
Farasim elects to wait a little longer and watch, to see if the lizardfolk will leave. From his perspective, the fewer people in the inn, the better. As he waits, he circles a little to look through the windows from as many vantage points as he can manage.

Emperor Ing
2010-07-19, 06:39 AM
The lizardfolk has already left and doesn't seem to pose a threat.

Farasim is able to see the armored figures standing around the counter looking over where the bug was. The movement of hands as well as of heads is the only indication there is any dialogue. This goes on for another few minutes until the armored figures turn to leave the inn.

The Great Skenardo
2010-07-19, 06:43 AM
Farasim
Farasim frowns. He wished a window had been open enough for him to hear what they'd been talking about. It might be worth the risk to listen around the corner of the inn to see if they'd say anything else as they departed. With that thought, he crept as silently as he could, taking care to stay below the windows, to the side of the inn adjacent to the one with the door. And there he remained for a while, listening.

Emperor Ing
2010-07-19, 06:46 AM
Make a Hide check

Farasim can make it out as they head out the door.
...it, you know what I mean?
The thought of you feeling anything amuses me greatly.
I know, but did you really feel it?
You can't feel it. Ever.
I did!
Good for you, let us get some expensive champagne to celebrate.
Damn it...

The Great Skenardo
2010-07-19, 09:45 AM
[roll0]
((I can't access my sheet from here. if you want to speed things along go ahead and add the bonus for me))

Emperor Ing
2010-07-19, 10:12 AM
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

((If only I can roll like that when i'm not the GM...))

Hey, did you see that?
Yeah, hey you! Come out where I can see you.
What?
There's someone like...right there.
Now come on, we're not gonna hurt you...much.
*sigh*

The Great Skenardo
2010-07-19, 12:37 PM
((Quick check: There's three different voices, yes?))

Emperor Ing
2010-07-19, 03:52 PM
((Yes. I'll change one of their voice colors to make it more distinct. ))

The Great Skenardo
2010-07-19, 04:11 PM
Farasim
Farasim's mind races as he's caught out in his stalking. They had far sharper eyes than he would have thought, armored as they were. He could outrun them, he was sure, but maybe it might be worth asking a few questions? At least one of them seemed reasonable.
Taking a deep breath, Farasim rounds the corner of the inn and comes face to face with the trio.
"Yes, what do you want?" he asks, a little peevishly.

Emperor Ing
2010-07-19, 04:14 PM
Their faceplates conceal their features quite well, but it seems that they can see pretty well through them.
What? A human?
Yeah really, what's a human doing up here? Few of you out from the mainland.
As for what we want...well...we don't like things hiding from us.

The Great Skenardo
2010-07-19, 04:18 PM
Farasim
Farasim spreads his hands.
"No? Your raiment is fearsome, sirs. I would think many hide. I meant no offense though; I only wanted to find out what had happened inside the inn. Some tragedy, it seems?"

Emperor Ing
2010-07-19, 04:22 PM
One of the figures tilts its head?
Oh? You didn't see?
Another one moves its heavy plating around exitedly.
Oh my gods it was incredible, the tension was so thick I could hardly see through it.
Do not jest, Erk'ali nearly killed herself.
Yeah, but before that...
Um, you are not a slaver, are you?

The Great Skenardo
2010-07-19, 04:26 PM
Farasim
Farasim tilts his own head in answer.
" 'Nearly?' Hmm. That doesn't sound like very much of a tragedy." He straightens up as the more thoughtful one asks his question.
"I am not a slaver. I am merely a hunter and tracker of animals and beasts, not those that speak or think. I suspect you haven't seen many humans that aren't slavers, then?"

Emperor Ing
2010-07-19, 04:29 PM
Hell no, EP5 is filled with plenty of decent humans.
Eeeh, humans have a..a..reputation. You're not from the mainland are you?

The Great Skenardo
2010-07-19, 04:32 PM
Farasim
His flight-or-fight sense starting to tickle, Farasim watches the armored trio as he answers, slowly and carefully,
"I am. Newly arrived on this Epeefive. I gather that's somewhat unusual?"

Emperor Ing
2010-07-19, 09:24 PM
This is AX3. EP5 is about a thousand miles north west west.
Most humans from the mainland don't travel to the islands except to gather their slaves.

The Great Skenardo
2010-07-20, 05:45 PM
Farasim
"Oh." He thinks for a moment.
"Who are these slavers? Independent hunters? Or an organization, perhaps...?"
He stops and holds up his hand, again conscious that they were just leaving.
"Apologies. Too many questions take up too much of your time. If you'll answer one more, I'll be grateful; where can a newcomer go to learn about this place safely?"

Emperor Ing
2010-07-20, 05:53 PM
Two of the armored figures look at each other and leave.
Farasim may start to feel his shoulder blade strain under the weight of the third armored figure putting its heavy gauntleted hand on his shoulder.
Knowledge is power, human. One thing they probably didn't teach you in the mainland is that up here, not only is knowledge power, but it is a commodity, and it doesn't come cheap.
The armor removes his hand from Farasim. He may feel somewhat relieved by this.
If you want to learn about the islands, ask an innkeeper, a Sentinel Captain, a Noble Praetorian if you're feeling lucky.

The Great Skenardo
2010-07-20, 06:04 PM
Farasim
Farasim twitches as the gauntlet lands on his shoulder, but with a tensing of tendons, he represses the instinct to duck and run.
"You must be sentinels, then. I see. I will take your advice, I think, In the morning."

Emperor Ing
2010-07-20, 06:07 PM
Sure, why not. Stay out of trouble, human.
The armored figure joins his companions and the three head out.

The Great Skenardo
2010-07-20, 06:15 PM
Farasim
The ranger lets out a long breath once the armored men have gone. A risk, but it paid off. Perhaps time to return to camp, and let the next day come. He'd confer with the others, perhaps, if they could stop from causing so much trouble everywhere. Particularly the musclebound one. He'd have to insist the Southerner stay out of bars and inns.

Emperor Ing
2010-07-22, 03:50 PM
The next day comes, but it does not get brighter. The wind has picked up as the glowing leaves wrustle along the ground and in the air. The sky is darkened by a thick layer of clouds in such a way that it will likely rain soon. The clouds are so close you feel you can almost touch them. A flash of light, and a bolt of lightning arcs through the clouds. Thunder. Another flash of light, this one heading down around the island, more thunder.

Siriq
2010-07-26, 11:19 AM
(sorry ive been dealing with life.)
Siriq

Siriq wakes up to the sound of the thunder. After everything that happened he just passed out. A little startled by the thunder he quickly scans the area and then relaxes when he realizes the its the weather. When he stands up and notices he is alone he wonders around the surrounding area looking for his party members. He is feeling guilty about all the events that have happened.

The Great Skenardo
2010-07-26, 04:17 PM
Farasim
"Good morning."
Farasim stands up from a tree he'd been leaning against, thinking.
"I found a little news at the inn. The innkeeper -female, by the way- didn't end up shooting herself, or so I gather from that trio of armored creatures. Hopefully that lifts a weight from you. The elf I didn't locate, but I gather as well that he is still in the inn. I didn't think it prudent to make another appearance inside."

Ditto
2010-07-26, 05:01 PM
Laen

Blissfully ignorant of what transpired the previous evening, Laen rises to the sound of thunder rumbling and makes his way downstairs. Not seeing Siriq in the room (and barring any interesting interactions Ms. Bug aims to throw his way...), he steps outside to locate Farasim.

Emperor Ing
2010-07-26, 05:10 PM
Wind whistles against the windows and branches scratch the flanks of the wood and stone building. Laen sees no indication of the innkeeper's presence at this time as the building seems rather abandoned at the moment. The wind fights against Laen leaving the inn, but man prevails against nature as he forces the door open and makes his way outside, his clothes being brushed strongly behind him in solidarity with the door slamming back into the inn.

Laen locates Farasim and Siriq talking outside amidst the open clearing.

Siriq
2010-07-27, 02:44 PM
Siriq

Siriq looks thoughtful as he ponders the information for a moment. Its a huge relief know the bug will live. "Well, we are going to have to figure out a way to avoid the reaction we had with the bartender. If humans are slavers in these parts than there may be more militant citizens than the bug. Maybe we should find passage to a different island."

The Great Skenardo
2010-07-27, 06:19 PM
Farasim
Farasim shrugs.
"There is the reputation. I can't help but think the innkeeper must have been particularly high-strung. I have been told there are enough decent humans around. I have a few tenative places we can ask about more information, but we ought to focus on how to get back to the mainland, rather than another island."

Ditto
2010-07-27, 06:46 PM
Laen

"Slavers, you say? I've missed some useful information overnight, it seems."

"The mainland? That's easy enough. Skydiving is no complicated trick, if you've got a stout bladder. I've a spell that will protect us from a rapid descent, though you'd best ensure you stay near me. I thought preparing it might be prudent given how high up we are. I'm sure most locals are clever enough to stay away from cliff edges, but you can never tell how a strange land works. Is there anywhere in particular you're interested in heading besides 'down'?" Laen thinks from his trip to the cliff's edge last night to recall if there were any settlements in sight from his vantage point.

The Great Skenardo
2010-07-27, 06:58 PM
Farasim Eires
A long, slow look, from Farasim marks the silence after the elf's comment.
"Magic, no doubt. I have little faith in the stuff. No offence, but I don't know you nearly well enough to entrust my life so recklessly to your assurances."

Ditto
2010-07-27, 07:00 PM
Laen

"Quite understandable. My question remains, though - even if we find more mundane transport off of this rock, where ought we strike out for?"

The Great Skenardo
2010-07-27, 07:08 PM
Farasim
Crossing his arms, he taps his sinewy fingers, thoughtfully.
"the Western Marches," he says, finally, "Although I needn't hurry back. The season won't last forever, though, and I prefer to be in familiar country by wintertime."
He shrugs his shoulders.
"There's no space here; that's what bothers me about these rocks. Go so far, and you can go no further."

Ditto
2010-07-28, 09:27 AM
((I believe Siriq is from the North, and I'm from the South.))

"I understood your ultimate aim, of course, but I meant have we learned in a more *immediate* sense where we ought to go. I'm not even sure I know which direction west is in a world with flying islands. I wonder if there is a local interchange for the flying transports around here. It seems unlikely there would be much else here on the surface, with so much well-developed below. The inn probably services it. I wonder if we might be able to track down some fellow travellers who left from the inn."

Emperor Ing
2010-07-30, 05:22 AM
A flash of light, and a streak of lightning arcs across the sky. You see something flying into the island into your left, but every time you try to focus on what it is your concentration is disrupted by a flash of lightning.

Ditto
2010-07-30, 11:17 AM
Laen turns at the motion and squints against the stormy weather to track where it's setting down. "Something like that, perhaps. We should head that way and see if we can locate where it's landed.

The Great Skenardo
2010-07-30, 11:59 AM
Farasim
Farasim nods.
"Very well. Have a care in the dark; the weather is harsher here, and the wind could blow a man right off the edge."
Farasim prepares to head off on the path.

Emperor Ing
2010-07-30, 12:14 PM
It's clearly coming closer to the island, unfortunately the trees block your view of where specifically it lands. one thing you do know is that if you head out on the trail, you will go left, and you know it landed on the island instead of around it.

Emperor Ing
2010-08-11, 03:23 AM
Where'd everyone go?