PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.5: Best "save-or-suck" spells for low-level wizards?

Kensen
2010-06-16, 07:26 AM
I'm looking for level 1-3 wizard spells that appear in official WotC books. I need spells that kill, incapacitate or severely inconvenience opponents that have 6 HD on average, mostly no SR. In other words "save-or-suck" spells, though it's even better if the spell doesn't allow a save. :smallbiggrin:

Examples: Grease, Ray of Enfeeblement, Ray of Exhaustion...

Snake-Aes
2010-06-16, 07:29 AM
I'm looking for level 1-3 wizard spells that appear in official WotC books. I need spells that kill, incapacitate or severely inconvenience opponents that have 6 HD on average, mostly no SR. In other words "save-or-suck" spells, though it's even better if the spell doesn't allow a save. :smallbiggrin:

Examples: Grease, Ray of Enfeeblement, Ray of Exhaustion...

I barely recommend save or die spells... but on the earliest range, prismatic spray and sleep are killers. I found a much much better experience playing a wizard with tactical controls and buffs/debuffs instead of save-die spells. Nothing like a summon monster III and a wall spell can't do \o/

Deca
2010-06-16, 07:30 AM
I'll probably be ninja'd before I say this but Sleep is pretty powerful at low levels.

Kensen
2010-06-16, 07:41 AM
Thanks for the replies.

@Snake-Aes: Depends on the situation, I guess. But I'm specifically looking for save or sucks right now. :smallsmile:

Sleep and Color spray, unfortunately, don't work well against creatures with 6 HD. Some creatures the wizard will face are henchmen with fewer than six HD, but I'm not so worried about them.

Scorpions__
2010-06-16, 07:43 AM
I think Rigor Mortis from Libris Mortis might be what you're looking for....

DM[F]R

Runestar
2010-06-16, 07:43 AM
1st lv - sleep, colour spray, grease,

2nd lv - web, glitterdust, cloud of bewilderment(SC)

3rd lv - stinking cloud, slow, steel bands(SC), any of the 2nd lv spells modified by sculpt spell.

Eldariel
2010-06-16, 07:44 AM
Core has most of the really good ones. Sleep and Color Spray are good, as mentioned, and then there's:
- Grease (as you stated)
- Wall of Smoke [SpC] (just one turn Nausea though)

- Glitterdust
- Web
- Pyrotechnics
- Cloud of Bewilderment [SpC]

- Slow
- Stinking Cloud
- Deep Slumber
- Ray of Exhaustion (no save)
- Bands of Steel [SpC]
- Unluck [SpC]
- Phantasmal Strangler [CM]
- Grasping Wall [CS]

Then there's Ray of Stupidity [SpC], Ray of Clumsiness [SpC], and there's always Shivering Touch [Frost]. Off the top of my head.

eldon18
2010-06-16, 07:46 AM
Glitterdust is a great battlefield control and when it is sculpted its 4x better

Tytalus
2010-06-16, 08:56 AM
Sleep and Color spray, unfortunately, don't work well against creatures with 6 HD.

Color Spray actually remains useful. A 1-round (small) AoE save or-be-screwed (stunned) is pretty nifty for a 1st level spell. The downside is rather the short range.