PDA

View Full Version : Sublime Chord + Spellhoarding

Mongoose87
2010-06-16, 07:44 AM
Has anyone ever tried using Spellhoarding to conver Sublime Chord's sorcerer casting to Wizard casting, thereby making it awesome, and, perhaps, combined this with some Theurge cheese, such as Warlock + ED?

2xMachina
2010-06-16, 07:45 AM
Loredrake for Wiz casting?

I don't think it works that way.... Maybe the spellhoarding thing.

Mongoose87
2010-06-16, 07:47 AM
Loredrake for Wiz casting?

I don't think it works that way.... Maybe the spellhoarding thing.

Blah, yeah, my bad. Fixing...

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-06-16, 08:03 AM
Sublime Chord doesn't get Sorcerer spellcasting, it gets Sublime Chord spellcasting. Spellhoarding trades Sorcerer spellcasting for Wizard spellcasting of equal level. Assuming it even could work with Sublime Chord, you'd end up trading Sublime Chord 10 spellcasting (4th-9th level spells) for Wizard 10 spellcasting (0th-5th level spells), so it's nothing but a downgrade.

My advice would be to include one Wizard level in your Sublime Chord build, and take the feat Versatile Spellcaster from Races of the Dragon. As per Wizard spellcasting, any spell you read and make the Spellcraft check to understand is counted among your Wizard spells known, even if you don't bother putting it into your spellbook. Assuming there's some sort of organization which charges for copying spells from their library (the standard fee is spell level x 50 gp), you could go in there, read a spell, make the check to add it to your known spells, but not put it into your book. Pretend you didn't understand the spell, in-character blame it on the poor wording of the copy you were given, making a Bluff check if necessary, and you won't have to pay them anything because you didn't copy the spell. You need Bard to get into Sublime Chord anyway, and that gets you Glibness with Bluff as a class skill, so starting at a higher level you could probably already know the entire Wizard spell list, especially if you can take ten on the spellcraft check to learn 9th level spells. Versatile Spellcaster allows you to spend spontaneous spell slots to cast any spell you know of a particular level, so this allows you to spontaneously cast any spell from the entire Wizard spell list using your Sublime Chord spell slots.

Fax Celestis
2010-06-16, 10:34 AM
Can you do shenanigans with Alternative Source Spell (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Alternative_Source_Spell), maybe?

faceroll
2010-06-16, 02:40 PM
Sublime Chord doesn't get Sorcerer spellcasting, it gets Sublime Chord spellcasting. Spellhoarding trades Sorcerer spellcasting for Wizard spellcasting of equal level. Assuming it even could work with Sublime Chord, you'd end up trading Sublime Chord 10 spellcasting (4th-9th level spells) for Wizard 10 spellcasting (0th-5th level spells), so it's nothing but a downgrade.

I actually have access to DR 313, I'll look up the wording this Friday. It may be more permissive than trading sorcerer spellcasting for wizard spellcasting. Regardless, your second point does make it a suboptimal choice.

faceroll
2010-06-19, 05:15 AM
I actually have access to DR 313, I'll look up the wording this Friday. It may be more permissive than trading sorcerer spellcasting for wizard spellcasting. Regardless, your second point does make it a suboptimal choice.

Furiou, you are correct. It explicitly mentions "wizard instead of sorcerer casting".