PDA

View Full Version : Low-Level Cleric Spells to Persist (3.5)

OMG PONIES
2010-06-16, 09:56 AM
Good morning!

I'm trying to keep a Rogue 1/Cloistered Cleric 3/Church Inquisitor 1 alive in a dungeon, and I can persist one spell a day. I'm already going to be using Knowledge and Law devotions for some bonuses to attack, so I'm not sure if something like Divine Favor would be the best, but I'm open to any ideas of 2nd-level or lower.

So what are your best suggestions for survivability?

Quirp
2010-06-16, 10:14 AM
Lesser vigor comes to mind as an easy method to replenish your hp in and out of combat.

Curmudgeon
2010-06-16, 10:18 AM
Lesser vigor comes to mind as an easy method to replenish your hp in and out of combat.
That one's not legal, since it doesn't have a fixed range. You're thinking of Mass Lesser Vigor, which is a good choice.

Eldariel
2010-06-16, 12:21 PM
Prayer is a decent early choice. Really though, the ability really kicks off with level 3 spells; on low levels you're stuck persisting spells without all that much impact.

Quirp
2010-06-16, 02:10 PM
If you want to augment your sneak attack Healerīs Vision (CS) might be OK.
Manifestation of the Deity (CS) might be a decent choice since it can protect you in the first round of combat and looks awesome.

@Curmudgeon: you are right, thanks for clarifying

Glimbur
2010-06-16, 03:10 PM
Entropic Shield is situational but not bad if it comes up. Shield of Faith is like a cheap ring of protection, provided your DM agrees that Touch is a fixed range. Similarly for the (animal) (attribute) spells, with the touch proviso. Resist Energy is also situational but helpful and also touch. That's... about it from core.

aeauseth
2010-06-16, 03:17 PM
Here is my shortlist of Persitable and long duration extendable spells. If your DM allows, you should purchase a metamagic rod of extend to make each spell last 48 hours. Effectively allowing you 2 spells per day (alternating between the two).

Level 1

Bless: +1 moral to attack and fear save, 50ft burst
Nightshield: +1 saves per 3 levels, stops magic missles

Level 2

Balor Nimbus: 6d6 fire grapple damage
Cloud of Knives: Free action to throw 1d6 dagger every round
Elation: +2 morale bonus to Str/Dex, +5 movement, 80ft radius
Luminous Armor: 5 AC, +4 vs melee
Heart of Air: +10 jump, +10 fly, feather fall

Level 3

Footsteps of the Divine: +50 ft. or Fly 45 ft.
Prayer: +1 luck bonus on attack, saves, and skills. -1 foes. 40ft radius.
Ring of Blades: 1d6+1 per CL, 5ft radius.
Vigor, Mass Lesser: FastHeal1 20ft radius
Visage of the Deity, Lesser: +4 CHA, 10/acid/cold/elec resistance

Level 4

Celestial Brilliance: 60ft 1d6 damage to undead.
Divine Power: BAB of fighter, +6 STR, +1/lvl HP
Holy Transformation, Lesser: +2 sacred bonus to Str/Con/saves, 60 fly, darkvision 60
Luminous Armor, Greater: 8 AC, +4 vs melee
Recitation: +2 luck bonus on attack and AC. 60ft radius

You could take the Alternate Class Feat "Divine Magician" and put "Shield" in your 1st level spell list. An all day "Shield" spell could be handy. You might even fit in "Critical Strike" or other assasin type spells under the Divine Magician ACF.

ryzouken
2010-06-16, 03:20 PM
from SpC: Lesser Spell Immunity will protect you against a swath of 1st and 2nd level spells, Living Undeath will make you immune to crits and sneak attacks, reducing potential spike damage that is otherwise difficult to predict and fairly lethal (most of my kills at early levels on players is by crits.)

from PhB II: Cloud of Knives. Stand back and fire 1 knife/round all day long.

EDIT: beaten to the punch on CoK. Ah well. I'll second the recommendation on Luminous Armor. That spell is unreal!

Marriclay
2010-06-16, 03:25 PM
while we're on the position of DMM persist, is it possible to do so with a Dread Necromancer? I know they have Rebuke Undead

aeauseth
2010-06-16, 03:32 PM
while we're on the position of DMM persist, is it possible to do so with a Dread Necromancer? I know they have Rebuke Undead

I looked for this before and couldn't find a RAW answer. Our group has decided to treat "Rebuke Undead" as a subset of "Turn or Rebuke Undead". This makes sense as you either "Turn Undead" or "Rebuke Undead". As such we allow the use of DMM with "Rebuke Undead".

EDIT: If DN is really arcane then I'd like to retract my DMM approval. I was winging my response from memory. No reference book at the moment. I stand by my "Turn or Rebuke Undead" roughly equals "Rebuke Undead", but you wouldn't meet the divine requirement.

AtwasAwamps
2010-06-16, 03:32 PM

But they cast arcane spells.

EDIT: To make it clearer, though I am AFB at the moment, it is my understanding that DNs are arcane casters and thus cannot benefit from Divine Metamagic, regardless of their ability to rebuke/turn.

Marriclay
2010-06-16, 04:01 PM
But they cast arcane spells.

EDIT: To make it clearer, though I am AFB at the moment, it is my understanding that DNs are arcane casters and thus cannot benefit from Divine Metamagic, regardless of their ability to rebuke/turn.

I'm taking another look at the DMM feat and I can't see anything about arcane or divine casters except in the fluff - all it requires is being able to use Turn or Rebuke Undead and a metamagic feat to apply it to. Heck, that second one isn't even listed as a prerequisite.

dextercorvia
2010-06-16, 07:34 PM
I'm taking another look at the DMM feat and I can't see anything about arcane or divine casters except in the fluff - all it requires is being able to use Turn or Rebuke Undead and a metamagic feat to apply it to. Heck, that second one isn't even listed as a prerequisite.

Check the Complete Divine errata (http://132.209.40.23/w4/campagne/Downloads/Downloads_WotC/Erratas/CompDiv_Errata09102004.pdf).

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-06-16, 07:59 PM
As has been noted, DMM doesn't work on arcane spells, so dread necromancers can't benefit. You can use their rebuke attempts to power it, however, so for instance a cleric could dip dread necro to persist more cleric spells.

PId6
2010-06-16, 08:08 PM
Dread Necromancers can use DMM if they change their spells to divine somehow (Alternative Source Spell, DR325). Naenhoon Illumians also get a variant of DMM that can be used 2/day.