PDA

View Full Version : Which culture to rip off?

Another_Poet
2010-06-16, 10:18 AM
So anyone who has played many fantasy RPGs can pretty quickly tell that most of the settings make use of one or more real-world nations or cultures as inspiration. The art, dress, social taboos, appearance, names and myths of those nations are then featured in the fantasy setting to give it a sense of depth like a real place.

This thread is not to debate whether this is good game design or not; I already know I'm going to rip off some real-world culture for my upcoming game. The question is, which to choose?

I want to avoid the ones that are overdone, but still choose one that is captivating and full of flavour. For instance, not medieval England, or ancient Rome; too overdone. China/Japan aren't quite to my taste for the setting. The setting features a major city that is a trade hub, so the real-world culture should be developed enough to have cities and overland/overseas trade.

I am considering Russia as almost no one does a Russian themed setting. Spain/Portugal is possible too although I already have a Portugese style country in another game and I'm not sure I want to repeat.

Any suggestions?

Snake-Aes
2010-06-16, 10:19 AM
So anyone who has played many fantasy RPGs can pretty quickly tell that most of the settings make use of one or more real-world nations or cultures as inspiration. The art, dress, social taboos, appearance, names and myths of those nations are then featured in the fantasy setting to give it a sense of depth like a real place.

This thread is not to debate whether this is good game design or not; I already know I'm going to rip off some real-world culture for my upcoming game. The question is, which to choose?

I want to avoid the ones that are overdone, but still choose one that is captivating and full of flavour. For instance, not medieval England, or ancient Rome; too overdone. China/Japan aren't quite to my taste for the setting. The setting features a major city that is a trade hub, so the real-world culture should be developed enough to have cities and overland/overseas trade.

I am considering Russia as almost no one does a Russian themed setting. Spain/Portugal is possible too although I already have a Portugese style country in another game and I'm not sure I want to repeat.

Any suggestions?
Try the Masai. Their cultural load is excellent for art and for indigenous types of communities. Working one of these guys' places into a big settlement is going to be fun. A good shot is to do what happened to them in real world: throw in lots of foreigners with the means to spread the culture.
In their case it was slave trade...but you surely should be able to find more.

Saph
2010-06-16, 10:21 AM
I'd go for India. Vast amount of material, but it doesn't get used much.

Eloi
Try the culture of the people in North Caucasus. It makes for good campaign fodder, it really does. For reasons why you could probably check out the first post on my 'Old North' thread in my signature.

Comet
Russia and the territories around it are always fun. The mythology is full of awesome critters, gods and heroes. And the culture can serve a whole lot of different stories, depending on the era and specific region.

Britter
Assyrian/Babylonian/Mesopotamian cultures would make for an interesting option. Lots of distinctive imagery and mythology, some of which as already been statted in d20.

Another_Poet
2010-06-16, 10:22 AM
The setting features a major city that is a trade hub, so the real-world culture should be developed enough to have cities and overland/overseas trade.

Try the Masai.

The Maasai (also called Masai) are a Nilotic ethnic group of semi-nomadic people

Doesn't seem like a good fit.

Ormagoden
2010-06-16, 10:23 AM
Mu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mu_%28lost_continent%29)

Enjoy!

Snake-Aes
2010-06-16, 10:24 AM
Doesn't seem like a good fit.
Right, so you just want to change names and be happy with it.
India? Nah. Japan? Nah. China? Nah. USA? Nah. Anything remotely european? Nah. Middle east? Nah. Egypt? Maybe something Mayincatec? Nah.

Yeah, you're out of trade hubs.

Cuaqchi
2010-06-16, 10:25 AM
Look to the Mali. You may have to tweek it slightly as the Mali were devoutly Islamic and monotheism just doesn't work as well in D&D as polytheism does.

Serpentine
2010-06-16, 10:26 AM
Australian Aborigines! :smallbiggrin: Or better yet, Polynesians in general. Might take rather a lot of homebrewing, though, or at least a crapload of refluffing.

Snake-Aes
2010-06-16, 10:27 AM
That's the thing...it's a pretty tall request. Huge reasons on why many of these "pop" cultures are popular is the fact they spread like horny rabbits.

Domigorgon
2010-06-16, 10:30 AM
Depends from which historical timeline of a culture you're drawing the inspiration. Italy is quite interesting in the time of renaissance (supposing that magical pursuits replace the scientific ones, in a fantasy setting, pretty much may be left the same); the Italian city-states, complex politics and infighting, theocracy, patrons of the art, "great people", etc.

Bysantium, for that oriental flavour which is more western than eastern. A new empire risen from the ruins of an old one, wars against small but numerous tribes as well as hostile encroaching kingdoms, the old civilization retaining its culture and pride in a world of barbarians, CRUSADES!

Egypt?
Persia?
Holy Roman Empire?
Colonies?

Godskook
2010-06-16, 10:39 AM
Aztecs? They seem like a decent fit, and are definitely non-standard.

Acero
2010-06-16, 10:44 AM
Aztecs and/or Mayans

pyramids, underground caves(most are also rivers), and human sacrafice. human sacrafice is good for plots.

Not very advanced, but can be that nation all the others hate but need for trade or something like that

oh, and some of them eat guinea pigs (http://ic2.pbase.com/g3/09/644509/2/57327904.ePerEc058015.jpg)

Ormagoden
2010-06-16, 10:44 AM
Mu (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mu_%28lost_continent%29)

Enjoy!

Did I mention Mu?

I can't remember...

awa
2010-06-16, 10:49 AM
Their were a lot of powerful African nations which ran on trade any one of them could work and are almost unknown as far as fantasy worlds

Telonius
2010-06-16, 11:03 AM
Haiti and/or New Orleans. Plenty to draw from.

Another_Poet
2010-06-16, 11:05 AM
Wow, so many great ideas. Thanks guys!!

Eloi
2010-06-16, 11:05 AM
Haiti and/or New Orleans. Plenty to draw from.

I would also like to recommend Indiana and Wyoming, two states with very interesting cultures to create a campaign after.

JonestheSpy
2010-06-16, 11:23 AM
Howzabout Samarqand? One of the archetypal "exotic" cities, now largely unknown to te current ignorant generations, but pretty much ideal for fantasy adventure.

Located in what is now modern Uzbekistan, it's been continuously occupied since 700BC and was for centuries one of the richest cities in the world, sitting on the Silk Road trade route between China and the Islamic Sultanates, and was in the possession of many different empires trough history.

It's exotic enough to be different, but not so alien that players would have to adjust to a completely different system like the Aztecs. You could choose to play during its rise, at its peak, or its decline.

Umael
2010-06-16, 11:26 AM
(No one's suggested it yet?)

Go for the Vikings.

The setting features a major city that is a trade hub, so the real-world culture should be developed enough to have cities and overland/overseas trade.

Yes. Vikings.

Why Vikings would work:

The reason why the Vikings are thought of as raiders is that their land was fairly inhospitable (cold and rocky). Hence they did a lot of travel (mostly by boat), conducting lightning raids and trading. For overland trade, look to Tolkien's Rohirrim for inspiration - they were based on the Vikings, just using horses instead of boats (well, things like religion and the like were probably different). As well as traders and looters, Vikings were also known as colonists (whether they found the Americas before Christospher Columbus is a matter of debate not for this board) and mercenaries.

A lot of countries paid the Vikings a large sum of money to not attack them (called the Danegeld) - it isn't hard to imagine a form of taxation and empire-creating from a dynasty of Vikings who exploit the weaknesses of their nations until they (the Vikings) are rich enough to conquer or otherwise subjugate their neighbors.

What is also important to the Vikings is that they rose to prominence (I wouldn't call power because while they shaped European history, they were more a cultural and historical influence than a united political force) is the fall of the Roman Empire and the coming of the Dark Ages. With the old trade routes no longer being used and many communities becoming isolated, the Viking lifestyle gave them considerable ability to thrive.

Viking culture:

A lot of popular concepts about Vikings are quite misplaced. For example, the horned helmets were used in ceremonies. Going to battle wearing on of those was like taking your ceremonial sword (that is made to look impressive) with you instead of your actual sword you intend to use (which is probably lighter and stronger and sharper).

Also, Vikings as barbarians? That people looked on them automatically with fear? That's like saying that all motorcyclists are rebels intent on creating anarchy (incidentally, there are a lot of parallels between the Viking culture and sub-culture of motorcycle enthusiasists (sp?)). Vikings did have a system of laws, being rather well-considered and balanced, although they relied heavily on a person's word and reputation.

If you are intriqued, I would pay particular attention to how the Vikings treat women. There is some debate if the term "Viking" applied to only the men (but then again, strictly speaking, the term "Viking" was invented as a general term to apply to a number of different people). As colonists, Vikings could take their womenfolk with them or simply marry into the indigenous population. Yet if they were not Viking, it is definitely interesting to note that while the men went off to trade or on raids, the women would defend the home. Also, the Norse mythology had plenty of females who were ever bit a part of their culture - Freya, Sif, the Valkyrie...

Eloi
2010-06-16, 11:29 AM
I'm unsure if anyone would actually go out of their way to click anything in my signature, so I'm just going to quote myself on why the North Caucasus is a good idea for a campaign:

1) The Nakh people (inhabitants of North Caucasian region) have ancient underground tomes and vaults full of ancient family treasure littered across their countryside on the outskirts of their cities. How is that not good campaign fodder?
2) The Nakh people also have ancient multi-story stone towers used for military purposes or dwelling reasons. Again, good campaign fodder.
3) They have various ancient constructed temples and natural temples to their pantheon of gods, making interesting places for an adventuring party to visit.
4) The Nakh people already have Giant-hating dwarves, at least three different clans of Giants, and genies that cause people to go insane by giving them divine secrets, they are hated by angels and demons alike. Finally, vampire-type creatures that possess animals. I say again, vampires that possess animals. What else do you people need?
5) The geographic features of 'Grasslands', 'Lakes', and 'Mountains' are often overlooked in favor of 'Forests', 'Jungles', 'Deserts', 'Caves' or 'Arctic'. Thus the country side is rather refreshing.
6) Diverse culture variety abound. The North Caucasian region was originally Indo-European in culture and religion, before being introduced to Greco-Romano culture via the Byzantines, before they were introduced to the Islam culture and religion by Mongols. Thus the theme of an Arabic setting can be seamlessly integrated into typical Medieval Fantasy with subtle overtones of Greco-Romano influence.
7) Full pantheon of Gods with various functions is always good for a campaign setting, as well, having designated sacred places could get up some good starting points for that in the Campaign world.
8) Unique culture-tribe system that is good for building large-influence player characters but not too big of an influence so as to be pre-railed into a role. Basically its a mix of your bloodline and military-economic alliances.
9) In medieval/pre-modern North Causcasian region there is no overarching external conflict. Its mostly peaceful externally with a lot of internal fighting. A good political situation for a campaign.
10) Its unique, not-used by any official campaign setting (that I know of), and thus rather fresh.

Amphetryon
2010-06-16, 11:35 AM
Khazakstan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khazakstan).

ondonaflash
2010-06-16, 11:43 AM
I'm leaning in favor of Persians for one reason: Janassaries (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janissary). A concept which I feel has a lot of mileage.

Additionally they were one of the strongest empires in the world for hundreds of years, also they have a distinctive architectural style, and any culture where water is more valuable, pound for pound, than gold provides a fascinating roleplay scenario.

Also, they train their Princes to run on waterfalls, so they can't be all bad.

Another_Poet
2010-06-16, 11:52 AM
I'm unsure if anyone would actually go out of their way to click anything in my signature

In fact I did, right away. Your suggestion is on my short list of favorites :)

Eloi
2010-06-16, 11:54 AM
In fact I did, right away. Your suggestion is on my short list of favorites :)

Aw, well thanks, I appreciate that. :smallsmile:

AtopTheMountain
2010-06-16, 11:56 AM
+1 for Polynesia. Also, the Maoris of New Zealand are always fun.

Emmerask
2010-06-16, 12:04 PM
I'd go for India. Vast amount of material, but it doesn't get used much.

I agree completely, I used nearly every culture on earth but never came around India, well mostly because I really donīt know much about india though the bits and pieces I do know could very well translate into a very interesting and different setting :smallsmile:

Spiryt
2010-06-16, 12:09 PM
well mostly because I really donīt know much about india though the bits and pieces I do know could very well translate into a very interesting and different setting :smallsmile:

I think that even if one doesn't know much about India, he/she shouldn't care, it has to be fantasy setting after all. Just use what you think would fit, if it makes sense.

It's not like more "standard" RPG rip off settings are done with much knowledge.

Flickerdart
2010-06-16, 12:10 PM
Russia would be hilariously easy to use for this - Kiev prospered precisely because of trade (and stagnated when trade ran out), so that's not much of a problem. The rich mythology has already been mentioned, and there is just enough of it present in public consciousness to be slightly recognizable without being overdone. Plus, ridiculous(ly awesome) outfits for everyone.

Another_Poet
2010-06-16, 12:37 PM
What's funny is that my friend Meghan has suggested I use the country of Meghanistan.

For some reason I'm not finding it in Wikipedia... :smallfrown:

Eloi
2010-06-16, 12:43 PM
What's funny is that my friend Meghan has suggested I use the country of Meghanistan.

For some reason I'm not finding it in Wikipedia... :smallfrown:

How can you not know the rich cultural history of Meghanistan? You see the country of Mehanistan is located in the former neutral zone between Yemen and Saudi Arabia. After World War II and the new borders were drawn, on a historic day in 1945 someone spilled their coffee on an era of the map. The rough shape of this coffee stain was named after the person who spilled their coffee's daughter, Meghan Chluts, and thus Meghanistan was created. In their long history they have been at war with Molassia, and they've been mentioned in a Weird Al song, with their capital of Lancaster. Ironically enough, instead of the religion of Islam, they are all Amish. This is because during America's history people wanted to find a way to send Amish abroad without freeing them as slaves-of-asort. Thus the Amish Abroad Association was created. The AAA sent the many Amish hopefuls to what would become Meghanistan over a 100 years later.
How can you not know all that? Everyone does~

Another_Poet
2010-06-16, 12:54 PM
<sparkles>

I'm not sure even Meghan knows that. I will be sure to inform her of her rich cultural history and then heavily pressure her to live up to her heritage or else be shunned as a digrace. Of course Amish-style shunning is part of her heritage so it's kind of a lose-lose-win-lose, where this thread is the win and she gets the lose/lose plus a reserve lose just in case.

Domigorgon
2010-06-16, 01:41 PM
I'm leaning in favor of Persians for one reason: Janassaries (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janissary). A concept which I feel has a lot of mileage.

I have a feeling you are confusing the Ottoman (Turkish) Empire with Persians.

gallagher
2010-06-16, 01:41 PM
might i suggest the french? seriously, the germans and vikings invading them, the fights with britain, everyone around them hates them, and Paris was for the longest time, and some will argue that it still is, the cultural center of western europe.

you still have alot of the western flavor that we are all so familiar with, with some germanic tradition (ever hear of clovis?) plus you can make french jokes the whole time (have them get invaded like every other day for random encounters)

Another_Poet
2010-06-16, 01:57 PM
might i suggest the french? seriously, the germans and vikings invading them, the fights with britain, everyone around them hates them, and Paris was for the longest time, and some will argue that it still is, the cultural center of western europe.

you still have alot of the western flavor that we are all so familiar with, with some germanic tradition (ever hear of clovis?) plus you can make french jokes the whole time (have them get invaded like every other day for random encounters)

Constantly mocking the English does have its allure....

J.Gellert
2010-06-16, 02:04 PM
The Byzantine Empire hasn't been done at all, which is weird. A large empire? Check. Lots of backastabbity politics? Check. Rebelling nobles and interior foes? Check. Enemies in the form of barbarians and other great kingdoms? Check. A strong clergy? Check. Chariots races? Arts and crafts? Merchant intrigue? Holy wars? Vikings? It's got everything and comes with its own unique flavor, not quite western, not quite eastern.

Other than that, ancient Greece hasn't been done in a while, at least in RPGs. Persia would also be cool, and it's relevant now with Prince of Persia :smallwink:

Morph Bark
2010-06-16, 02:08 PM
The words "trade hub" instantly make me think of my own home country, which happens to be the Netherlands. What do we have here? Amsterdam and Rotterdam, two cities with long-standing positions as trading hubs with their large harbours. The 16th century was a real Golden Age here, even though there was an 80-year-long war going on against one of the biggest empires (and certainly the most widespread one ever) of all time, Spain. Worth looking into?

Another_Poet
2010-06-16, 02:13 PM
The words "trade hub" instantly make me think of my own home country, which happens to be the Netherlands. What do we have here? Amsterdam and Rotterdam, two cities with long-standing positions as trading hubs with their large harbours. The 16th century was a real Golden Age here, even though there was an 80-year-long war going on against one of the biggest empires (and certainly the most widespread one ever) of all time, Spain. Worth looking into?

Definitely. I'm going to have to wikipedia Netherlands tonight to learn more :)

Good suggestions all around guys. Persia is in the running for sure.

tbarrie
2010-06-16, 02:14 PM
I have a feeling you are confusing the Ottoman (Turkish) Empire with Persians.

Of course, we're talking about a fictional culture only loosely based on real-world ones, so go ahead and confuse them if that works for you.

ZakRenning
2010-06-16, 02:15 PM
I am going to vot for The Nakh, and also for the Russia and outlying countries like Kazakhstan.

Morph Bark
2010-06-16, 02:17 PM
Definitely. I'm going to have to wikipedia Netherlands tonight to learn more :)

Good suggestions all around guys. Persia is in the running for sure.

The best parts, upon really reading your first post (I only skimmed it first despite its shortness) is that you mention both Spain and Russia. Saint Petersburg, the big port city Russia has, was made the way it is by Peter the Great who studied ships in the Netherlands back around that age. :smallwink:

Another_Poet
2010-06-16, 02:25 PM
The best parts, upon really reading your first post (I only skimmed it first despite its shortness) is that you mention both Spain and Russia. Saint Petersburg, the big port city Russia has, was made the way it is by Peter the Great who studied ships in the Netherlands back around that age. :smallwink:

Have you ever had wide-scale invasions by gnomes in the Netherlands? Or a vampire crisis? 'Cuz that would put you ahead of the competition here :smallsmile:

Ravens_cry
2010-06-16, 03:21 PM
While Roman gods and goddesses have been done as unto death, been part of the default gods of 1st Edition D&D, Roman culture and society hasn't I believe.

LCP
2010-06-16, 03:35 PM
Something that was drifting through my head the other day was a fantasy-fied version of the mid-eighteenth century in Europe: Redcoats, highwaymen, tall ships, old ways vs. nascent Enlightenment/industrial revolution, maybe even some Napoleonic shenanigans in the wider world if you stretched the usual fantasy world anachronism-ometer to fifty years or so. I was thinking about the Jacobite Risings and the French Revolution in particular.

Depends on your timescale, I guess - these ideas are no good for a medieval fantasy setting. But if you want to find something different that's not just hunting for another country, playing around with the time period is fun.

Another_Poet
2010-06-16, 03:40 PM
Something that was drifting through my head the other day was a fantasy-fied version of the mid-eighteenth century in Europe

Heh, given which game you're running, this makes perfect sense :)

Actually I would be open to a 1700s era setting. The only thing is I also ref an Iron Kingdoms game, which though mostly 1500s-ish does have some much later things like trains and often has an 18th century feel. Not sure I wanna duplicate that in another game.

On the other hand there is a reason why I GM one game in such a setting and play in another: it's a cool time period. So I'll add it to the list...

Domigorgon
2010-06-16, 04:51 PM
Only it's not really a "medieval European setting" if there's magic that actually works. Unless you play E6 (level 6 capped) or low-fantasy/magic campaigns.

Once you take into account that there are people who can teleport, throw fireballs, and construct golems (not to mention magical items), it isn't a "medieval" setting anymore, not really.

And so with magic sort of replacing technology, we get a civilization which is advanced at least a few centuries ahead of its real-life counterpart.

Morph Bark
2010-06-16, 04:54 PM
Have you ever had wide-scale invasions by gnomes in the Netherlands? Or a vampire crisis? 'Cuz that would put you ahead of the competition here :smallsmile:

Do Vikings count? Also... we've got a lot of stories of undead-filled swamps and wights. Mainly in the north though. Also quite a bunch of stories about giants, mainly with regards to blackmail and toll roads. And since we're close by the sea, quite a bit on mermaids. In fact, one mermaid story eventually ended in tons of land being consumed by the sea, Atlantis-style. The best part? This happened several times, once in medieval times and once in Roman times if I recall right.

Eloi
2010-06-16, 04:59 PM
Do Vikings count? Also... we've got a lot of stories of undead-filled swamps and wights. Mainly in the north though. Also quite a bunch of stories about giants, mainly with regards to blackmail and toll roads. And since we're close by the sea, quite a bit on mermaids. In fact, one mermaid story eventually ended in tons of land being consumed by the sea, Atlantis-style. The best part? This happened several times, once in medieval times and once in Roman times if I recall right.

Can I live where you are my clone? Please, that just sounds so awesome. I live in the most culturally bland place I can think of (besides Wyoming,USA) so...eh I'm going to move where you are at.

Morph Bark
2010-06-16, 05:09 PM
Can I live where you are my clone? Please, that just sounds so awesome. I live in the most culturally bland place I can think of (besides Wyoming,USA) so...eh I'm going to move where you are at.

Sure, I wouldn't mind. I'm just hoping we won't get taken over again. It seems like every 100 years some other country invades us and takes over, but never more than a decade (at least since the conclusion of the 80 year war). :smalltongue:

Seriously though, Dutch territories have gone from French hands, to Spanish, to Austrian (well, Belgium, but that was the Southern Netherlands back then), to the French and then the Germans. Only the English of our nearby neighbours hasn't gotten that yet, though one of the Dutch stewards was once an English king...

Eloi
2010-06-16, 05:11 PM
Sure, I wouldn't mind. I'm just hoping we won't get taken over again. It seems like every 100 years some other country invades us and takes over, but never more than a decade (at least since the conclusion of the 80 year war). :smalltongue:

Seriously though, Dutch territories have gone from French hands, to Spanish, to Austrian (well, Belgium, but that was the Southern Netherlands back then), to the French and then the Germans. Only the English of our nearby neighbours hasn't gotten that yet, though one of the Dutch stewards was once an English king...

I'm related to the German royalty that probably took you over. So I'm invading again. *in a perky tone* Jus' like old times right? Right? Right? Right?

Another_Poet
2010-06-16, 06:00 PM
Please stop putting your Deutschmark in my Nethers.

lesser_minion
2010-06-16, 06:15 PM
While it is European, Spain could be an option.

Spain did grow to be pretty big over time, has a few famous exports, and was one of the dominant powers in Europe for a long time.

The Gauls did pretty well until they were stomped by the Romans -- they might not be the worst choice out there, and their culture and practices are at least somewhat different (and fairly unexplored, for that matter).

KitTheOdd
2010-06-16, 07:18 PM
Consider something like Hong Kong. Established as a massive trading hub controlled by an outside power/culture but filled and surrounded by another culture. The mix of cultures and tension between them could be very interesting and useful.

Ubercaledor
2010-06-16, 08:03 PM
Depends from which historical timeline of a culture you're drawing the inspiration. Italy is quite interesting in the time of renaissance (supposing that magical pursuits replace the scientific ones, in a fantasy setting, pretty much may be left the same); the Italian city-states, complex politics and infighting, theocracy, patrons of the art, "great people", etc.

Bysantium, for that oriental flavour which is more western than eastern. A new empire risen from the ruins of an old one, wars against small but numerous tribes as well as hostile encroaching kingdoms, the old civilization retaining its culture and pride in a world of barbarians, CRUSADES!

Egypt?
Persia?
Holy Roman Empire?
Colonies?

I was going to say the italian city-states would be a great choice, especially with the interesting political and architectural contrast between people of Venicia (semi-aristocratic trade-empire), Fiorenze (land-locked aristocratic and socio-political centre) and Milano (almost military monarchistic), with a semi-alliance against the Northern Kingdoms/Empires and the trade-wars with the adriatic/mediterranian competitors of Venice.

Loren
2010-06-16, 08:49 PM
some non-typical locations/civilizations:
Morocco, Ancient cities mixing African and Arab. Deserts, oceans, pirates/slavers (they were swiping folks from the southern coast of England at least up until the 15th century).

Peru, Mountains, jungles, deserts and oceans. Cities in all these locations offering cults such as the famous Inca in the mountains, but also the Moche and the Chimu in the deserts http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moche http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimu

Venice: always nice for an urban adventure

Ethiopea (Axum): Mountains and rain forests, and fields above sandy Sudan. A mysterious religion guard a holy artifact (and some great carved rocks

Ancient Isreal: Egypt to the south west, the Philistines (the descendants of the myceneans) to the west, phonecians (Canaanites) to the north and the neo-hittites beyond them, the Assyrians to the north east, the Bablyonians to the East and the Persians beyond them; to name a few of Isreal's neighbours. And a nation with a unique culture, fractured into clans trying to live on captured land and maintain a distinct society with a powerful new religion. A real possiblity for a mixing of cultures. Read Judges or the Samuels (found in the Bible, oh and Joshua sets it up well amd Ruth show some other aspects) to get a good feel for how exciting and bloody that world could be. (note: no, this isn't proselytising, these simply are neat reads, particuarly when combined with recent archeological work).

Personally I think the early period would make for a neat setting; a mass of escaped slaves from the kingdom next door swept in after being nomads for a couple decades. They launch a genocidal campaign against the natives, capturing large tracts of land and forcing the surivors into slavery, or a similar status, but the newcomers need to learn how to be landowners from their slave. Some of them still worship their former masters gods, some pick up the local religion, but there is also their own, very power diety who wants exclusive devotion. There is no central gov, just groups of elders and traveling judges. And they are being attacked on pretty much every side. Lots of plot possiblities.

less urban, but also less typical:
British Columbia: mountains, boreal rainforest, the ocean. Village build along river and the ocean coast. totem poles, giant canoes, and potlatches

Iron Age/Classical Ireland: deep, thick boreal rain forests surround wide bogs the force most trade to go around the island by boat, or across along eskers. A ceremonial capital at Tara for the high king and four lesser kings over a wide number of clans, each with their hill fort or strong hold.

Beleriphon
2010-06-16, 09:42 PM
I'm going to suggest that if you want a cool culture search for some alternate history, and see what you can find about the Iroquois (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iroquis). They have a pretty hefty culture, although I suppose I should say the five (and eventually six) indigenous North American cultures are pretty effective, and by and largely underutilized by storytellers. I think part of the problem is a distinct lack of anything but oral history.

You can also try the Anishinaabe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anishinaabe) for a slightly different take on indigenous North American culture. Major groups that fall into that category (its a language and cultural grouping) are the Ojibwa, Cree, Algonquin and the Ottawa.

Melayl
2010-06-16, 10:27 PM
I'm going to suggest that if you want a cool culture search for some alternate history, and see what you can find about the Iroquois (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iroquis). They have a pretty hefty culture, although I suppose I should say the five (and eventually six) indigenous North American cultures are pretty effective, and by and largely underutilized by storytellers. I think part of the problem is a distinct lack of anything but oral history.

You can also try the Anishinaabe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anishinaabe) for a slightly different take on indigenous North American culture. Major groups that fall into that category (its a language and cultural grouping) are the Ojibwa, Cree, Algonquin and the Ottawa.

I would second this, if you're looking for something unique. Also, for those who mentioned Aztec/Mayan cultures, AD&D had a campaign world for those cultures (the name escapes me at the moment). You wouldn't have to do much work to update that to 3.x, I would imagine.

Edit: That would be Maztica, and it is available for download on the Wizards website here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads).

Loren
2010-06-16, 10:45 PM
Here's a link to a bunch of AD&D pdfs. some of them present some less typical settings

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads

Mazteca: is a Mayan/Aztec inspired realm, set during the exivalent of the Spanish conquesta
City of Gold: is bit north of Mazteca, sort of a Pueblo/Asassasi feel. It also has an adventure
The Horde: Eurasian Steppe, particularly mongolian feel
The Lands of Intrigue: I'm not too familiar with, but it seems to be inspired by morocco and spain by the art.
Climport: Is definatley Persian
Savage Frontiers: Has a Northern European feel, mixed with high Medieval. It features such famous areas as Icewind Dale, Neverwinter, and Waterdeep. The North seems to cover the same region

Ninja'd on Mazteca